Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Storm Front is out!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Ixal
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Mar 15 2013, 10:36 PM) *
Onto the main thrust of this thread: I'm not happy in regards to the dragon spoilers. Hell, I'm not happy with a lot of the "revealed" elements. It doesn't kill my interest in the game, but it certainly enforces my (again: admittedly paranoid) feeling that we're going for "IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE SIXTH WORLD, THERE IS ONLY SHADOWRUN" and - I'm sorry guys, not my game. I say that as someone that will prolly still pick up books by my favorite authors (Wak, Critias, Patrick, James) when it concerns an element of the Sixth World that I enjoy, but I can tell that my tastes and your tastes are diverging.

And that's okay! I like a lot of where mid-3e to mid-4e was going, and know that I can co-exist with you all. And I'll be picking up 5e just in order to stay on track with the cool kids. But given that I get something different from Shadowrun than a lot of people seem to here and on the official boards, I just feel a drift coming on. Plus, I'm kind of super happy with Dungeon World and Marvel Heroic RP'ing and...

So yeah. Disappointed in the spoilers revealed so far. Poor OQ, Harley, Peri...at least Damon came out okay, right?

Right?

No mention of Damon in the book.

So far most, me included, focused on the big world shattering events, partially because they are in the front of the book, but there is more normal stuff in there too like the Japancorps banding together to get a foothold in North America. Brackhavens downfall and even Ares are also a lot more down to earth than the dragon stuff.

By the way, I want a mail handle like this guy:
[ Spoiler ]
CanRay
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 15 2013, 03:55 PM) *
Now we need to convince CanRay to write one...
We'll see what happens.

Which means we'll see what happens and nothing more.

As for Storm Front, my inability to read well at the moment is cropping up again, but Bull pointed me to the Wham! Chapter that would affect me most, and... Damn.

I can't help but think Jim Butcher wrote this book with all the nutpunches going on. If it was more crazy and pink mohawk, I'd think it was the "Shadowrun: Saints Row" sourcebook!
Ixal
Finally finished that book and wow, what a way to go out. Certainly not what people expected but very touching.
I won't spoil it as I don't think a spoiler can do it justice.

Anyone has an idea who that is on the picture on page 185?
Pepsi Jedi
Slamm-O.

looks like his pic from Street Legends.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Ixal @ Mar 15 2013, 06:42 PM) *
Finally finished that book and wow, what a way to go out. Certainly not what people expected but very touching.
I won't spoil it as I don't think a spoiler can do it justice.

Anyone has an idea who that is on the picture on page 185?

I'll let you in on a little secret.

That last bit? The author sent it around to all the writers, and asked if we wanted to add some Shadowtalk goodbyes. It was ... not easy.
Pepsi Jedi
Just finished Fall of a Dragon.

[ Spoiler ]
Nath
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 16 2013, 01:16 AM) *
Which means other dragons can kill her and not worry about repercussion.
It used not to be problem. According to Survival of the Fittest, killing Dunkelzahn would have been a perfectly valid way of not only settling any ongoing issue with him, but actually legitimately taking on the title and duty of Loremaster (though Ghostwalker clearly suggests he would take it personally).
Pepsi Jedi
Not quite what I meant.
Ixal
QUOTE (Nath @ Mar 16 2013, 01:28 AM) *
It used not to be problem. According to Survival of the Fittest, killing Dunkelzahn would have been a perfectly valid way of not only settling any ongoing issue with him, but actually legitimately taking on the title and duty of Loremaster (though Ghostwalker clearly suggests he would take it personally).

I think the code of honor between dragons is a lot more convoluted than that. The entire Dragon Civil war has shown that they have a long list of rules which offense allows for what retaliation and that Great Dragons can't simply go around and kill other Greats or even normal dragons without having a reason according to their code or the blessing of the Assembly or operating under strict dueling rules (Remember Lofwyr vs. Nachtmeister).
Fatum
Okay, I've read Fall of a Dragon, and basically it's horrible (but hey, at least this one seems to have been proofread, except for an occasional typo here and there!).
[ Spoiler ]
Ixal
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 16 2013, 02:13 AM) *
Okay, I've read Fall of a Dragon, and basically it's horrible (but hey, at least this one seems to have been proofread, except for an occasional typo here and there!).
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]
Fatum
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]
Ixal
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 16 2013, 02:47 AM) *
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

I am not going to answer to all of them individually.
[ Spoiler ]
Pepsi Jedi
ok, if I can get this formatting to work....

[ Spoiler ]

Pepsi Jedi
Oy, the formatting is going to hurt even more here. I'm sure.

[ Spoiler ]
Fatum
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 15 2013, 09:17 PM) *
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

These are all addressed or answered in my previous post. smile.gif
Fatum
[ Spoiler ]
Fatum
[ Spoiler ]
Fatum
[ Spoiler ]
Pepsi Jedi
[ Spoiler ]
Pepsi Jedi
[ Spoiler ]

Fatum
[ Spoiler ]
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 15 2013, 10:04 PM) *
[ Spoiler ]

Fatum
[ Spoiler ]
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 15 2013, 10:49 PM) *
[ Spoiler ]

Critias
This is like watching mimes debate, or something.
All4BigGuns
QUOTE (Critias @ Mar 15 2013, 11:17 PM) *
This is like watching mimes debate, or something.

No one deserves mime.
Fatum
[ Spoiler ]

Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 15 2013, 11:05 PM) *
[ Spoiler ]

Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Mar 15 2013, 11:19 PM) *
No one deserves mime.

lol well the book's only been out, what, two days at this point? I don't wanna just blab all the details in the open, incase people haven't read it yet. Putting it behind the spoiler tag means, if they WANT to read it they can, if not... I don't get screamed at for spilling spoilers.

Lemme tell ya, it'd be alot easier to NOT have to get the quoting formats and spoiler tags to work. It's alot harder this way.
Wakshaani
Tis a thick and meaty book. I figure it'll take people time to chew through everything.
Fatum
[ Spoiler ]

NeoJudas
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 15 2013, 07:10 PM) *
Ahhh, the joys of being a tyrant means that there's no laws against applying laws ex post facto.

I hope Hestaby is hiring Runners to spring P from the big house, because it's blatantly obvious this is a kangaroo court before a judge and jury of one.

I know that idea is on my list of possibles..
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 15 2013, 11:22 PM) *
[ Spoiler ]

CanRay
My brain hurts!
All4BigGuns
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 16 2013, 12:05 AM) *
My brain hurts!

Here, this might help. smile.gif

*jabs CanRay in the ribs with a cattle prod* nyahnyah.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Mar 16 2013, 12:06 AM) *
Here, this might help. smile.gif

*jabs CanRay in the ribs with a cattle prod* nyahnyah.gif
*Falls Over Almost Dead From Stun Overflow*
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 15 2013, 11:42 PM) *
[ Spoiler ]

Pepsi Jedi
Ok!! I'm going to go read some more of the book!

Catch you guys later.
NeoJudas
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 16 2013, 06:07 AM) *
*Falls Over Almost Dead From Stun Overflow*

Walks over, drops a hand fan complete with nearly depleted battery and walks away

I'm sorry guys, all the spoilers are one thing, and I do respect it. But ultimately it's a conversation of polars opposites. I can explain it all easily.... No ne will like the answer of course.

It's a game, get over it. I nearly dropped my iPad while reading the game information section alone. I want to go on record here and now.... The games we've had here for now are power games, tried and true. But those game mechanics...... I have shakes trying to imagine who merged the Shadowrun and Earthdawn attributes like this.........
Fatum
[ Spoiler ]
Grinder
Fatum, P.J.: get over it or continue your "discussion" via PM.
lokii
Now, I'm ready to entertain both possibilities that Fatum is overly judgmental and unforgiving or that Pepsi Jedi is unjustifiably generous in making it work. Of course my own prejudices point me towards siding with Fatum. Especially since he is not only critising Storm Front but also other recent material. For example the only part of Clutch of Dragons I looked at so far, is Frosty's piece on Harlequin. I did not understand how we got from "you don't need to know that, chummer" to "here is my life's story, dear friends". Ending on the low point of being hacked by Harlequin ... again, that silly little thing.

This is not to say that it cannot be entertaining or an interesting story to tell. But there are other considerations. Jackpoint is supposed to show the perspective of runners, who should collect this information not to immerse themselves in the grand struggles of the world but to know how to stay away from them or at most make a few nuyen if they are into the risk. Who should also know the delicate balance between an amount of knowledge that helps you survive and one that makes you a target. It's my impression with the dragon plotline the Jackpoint community got too close for comfort. I get that there are many interesting stories to tell within Shadowrun that are only peripherally connected to the shadows. But I'd rather have some percentage of a book describing a well constructed interesting event in the Sixth World than something that loses coherence in bending over to make it runner-relevant.

Some minor spoilers ahead, I guess.

To me this is still largely a problem of execution (though I also question parts of the overall vision). Take Aztlan and Amazonia, this is.. well was an interesting conflict. A modern, sinister, industrial army pitted against the forces of nature, but War! didn't do the premise justice at all. From what I heard having it end in Storm Front with no meaningful changes is frankly yawn-inducing. Okay, so a new player in the region (haven't figured out the abbreviation to be honest), more people dead, something about the power structure of Amazonia changed. To the last one, for the little we know about Amazonia it could be just one less dragon at the office, who never did anything besides being grumpy and snacking on interns anyway. If I'm to believe Fatum the problems with both internal and canon inconsistency prevail. Further reviews and my own eventual reading of the book will tell.

Last, to whoever wondered about why Hestaby gets a treatment that under some considerations seems worse than Sirrurg's (personally I would prefer free and poor to incarcerated and wealthy). This would strike me as actually quite consistent. Her UN speech in State of the Art: 2073 is another thing I didn't like in concept as well as execution, but let's take it at face value. She strikes me as a radical incomparable to anything Dunkelzahn ever did in life and even his posthumous "actions" as a way of exerting his power from beyond the grave are still quite in accordance with draconic aspirations. Hestaby on the other side, apart from the ludicrous idea to get even more nations involved in bringing a dragon to justice who per her explanation was enraged by a single nation doing more or less just that, turns on dragon society by getting (meta)humans involved in their affairs not as pawns mind you as the judges of draconic conduct. To add insult to injury she pleas to consider (!) allowing a Great Dragon to sit as one (!) judge at Sirrurg's trial.

This by the way was my biggest problem with the whole speech. Hestaby shows herself utterly undeserving of Dunkelzahn's inheritance. She basically blew it and I can only imagine that whatever remains of him almost fell into the chasm when he heard the whole story. Even if Dunkelzahn had this kind of equality between dragons and metahumanity in mind for the future, this was certainly not the way to go about it. No, this vile thought criminal had to be removed from dragon society. And her not getting a worse sentence shows to me either a soft spot on the side of Lofwyr or that her ideas have spread enough to other dragons that he feared making her a martyr. At least that is how I read it from, you know, what I remember of how it used to work. wink.gif
Wakshaani
Re: Hestaby.

There's long been a discussion about just how genuine Hestaby is. Quite a few Greats watched Dunk work the crowd and be transformed from a big scary DRAGON to ... Big D. You work hard for someone you fear ... you give your LIFE for someone you love. Hestaby was positioned, more and more, as "The Good Dragon", the one that had humanity's back and was right there, turning on her own kind to save the peace if it came to that.

Was it all an act? Was *any* of it an act?

It's easy to forget that she's arguably the most powerful magician of all the Greats, was nestled in a place of great power, and that she won the great dragon contest in Survival of teh Fittest. Oh, sure, she gave the spot to Lofwyr, but she came in ahead of Ghostwalker, Lung, Celadyr... she's able to get what she wants.

Oh, she rolled the dice and came up snake eyes, but was she a fool to roll 'em in the first place?

What would she have gained if it'd worked? If the UN brought Sirrurg down, showed that humanity could kick Dragon hindparts, and that, with her help, the humans could corral all the other Greats?

A wee bit more dangerous than "Sirrurg SMASH puny humans!", I do believe.
lokii
Well, she goes from being a blundering flowery idealist to a blundering power-crazy maniac. "I'll make a dragon out of you yet, kiddo!" No honestly, it's a scenario under which the whole UN episode makes much more sense. It would assume that Dunkelzahn either misjudged her character (which is also an enticing thought) or is himself much less altruistic than he appeared in the past. Now if any of this is hinted at even as a possibility in material I just haven't read yet, I would be much more forgiving of the SotA73, if you are applying it as a post-factual fix, well at least it shows that you can always turn a story around.
Lionhearted
Intriguing... I haven't read it but from what you're saying it seems that they're going out of their way to show "that even gods can bleed" and if the greats are not unassailable I hope we will see more dynamism in metahumanity's dealing with the dragons. The age of dragons and legends has past, maybe it's time to let them know that.
Ixal
When so many people are disappointed with the the power thrown around by great dragons, why not talk about the other stuff in the book?

So far no one has mentioned much what the Japancorps are up to.
[ Spoiler ]

Renraku deserves a special mention as they are crawling back out of the pit they have fallen in.
[ Spoiler ]

I still need time to digest the Brackhaven piece. Politics make my head spin, especially when I read them late night.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 15 2013, 11:05 PM) *
My brain hurts!

That happens with mimes. If anything the mimes are arguing about concerns me or something I wrote, I hope someone tells me.
Ixal
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 16 2013, 02:44 PM) *
That happens with mimes. If anything the mimes are arguing about concerns me or something I wrote, I hope someone tells me.

Well I don't know what you wrote in the book, but the whole conversation was about the FALL OF A DRAGON chapter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012