Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Storm Front is out!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
All4BigGuns
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 15 2013, 12:19 AM) *
Heh. Not a huge part of the story or anything, but a part that made me grin like crazy. Page 20.
[ Spoiler ]

That's awesome.
Pepsi Jedi
Just finished the battle with Sirrung.

[ Spoiler ]
Pepsi Jedi
Ok. I finished the "The Triumph of Aztlan" Chapter. I'll put my thoughts in spoilers, just in case people don't want details.

Well, information from the hidden stories is here but naturally more was going on than was reveiled openly.

First, (( and openly)) I'd like to address something. There's been a few posters getting off on yelling at the writers for putting a port in Bogata. "Ohh they should research. They should look at a map."
I'm not sure where you read it, (And if it's in other chapters in the book. I'll apologize) But they didn't put a port in Bogata in this chapter, which was about the Aztlan/Amazonian war and the fight with Sirrung.

I read close, because some people have been down right snarky about it here and on other forums. (( Same people on both)). The writers didn't say there was a port of Bogata. They DID say that forces were moved into the Gulf of Aztlan, which is the Gulf of Mexico. They did mention forces in the Pacific as well. They did mention towards the end the
[ Spoiler ]
moving in and landing near Cali and MOVING TOWARDS Bogata to mop up. Noone landed (by sea) in Bogota. They landed on the coast and moved cross country. It states they engaged people along the way too. This is how amphibious forces work.. they deploy from the coast then move into the country from there. (( Or secure the beaches and allow for build up of troops to later push in)).

Now.. I might have missed it, and if so, please give me a page number, but as I read it.... People need to Chill the frak out about that. Your snark is misplaced. You either read something that was changed before print. Or you MISREAD something, and got all snarky and smart assed about it. (( Or... I missed it. lol )).

Ok. Back to the chapter.

[ Spoiler ]

Gotta give Aztlan extra credit for having a Destroyer named the Chupacabra!! Not only that but it fired a RAIL GUN, and scored first blood against the dragon!!

Not the "BEST" part of the entire chapter... but I bet I remember that small detail long long after many of the other details have faded my memory.
CanRay
That dragon is never going to live down the fact that he got shot in the hoop by a "Goat Sucker". biggrin.gif
Wakshaani
There was a LOT of discussion about dragon fighting going on behind teh scenes, researching into tactics, storylines that were set down a while back... people lobbied HARD for the right to write some of this stuff, and the best man won. The Sirrurg fight is just nasty brutal AWESOME, and I gotta give him a salute. From a one-off mention eatting an airplane to a second "We think he might have been in Amazonia, maybe" to whoo buddy, a hoop-kickin' VILLAIN, Sirrurg went out like a Lio... well, no. He went out like a DRAGON.

That's a roar that's gonna echo.

Give it up for the big hammer.
lokii
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 15 2013, 09:08 AM) *
I read close, because some people have been down right snarky about it here and on other forums. (( Same people on both)). The writers didn't say there was a port of Bogata. They DID say that forces were moved into the Gulf of Aztlan, which is the Gulf of Mexico. They did mention forces in the Pacific as well.
Are the forces moved into the Gulf of Aztlan in relation to operations in Colombia? That would be strange, since the Caribbean Sea borders the region, the Gulf is much further north.

QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 15 2013, 09:08 AM) *
This is how amphibious forces work.. they deploy from the coast then move into the country from there. (( Or secure the beaches and allow for build up of troops to later push in)).
I would guess the latter, unless these are awesome amphi-alpinist forces. wink.gif
Ixal
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 15 2013, 06:49 AM) *
Just finished the battle with Sirrung.

[ Spoiler ]

Yeah, no idea how I misread that.

To my defense, it was way past midnight.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (lokii @ Mar 15 2013, 02:53 AM) *
Are the forces moved into the Gulf of Aztlan in relation to operations in Colombia? That would be strange, since the Caribbean Sea borders the region, the Gulf is much further north.

The book's only out a day so I'm gonna put this in spoiler. smile.gif
[ Spoiler ]
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Ixal @ Mar 15 2013, 03:20 AM) *
Yeah, no idea how I misread that.

To my defense, it was way past midnight.

No worries! I just thought you were being flowery in your description.
hermit
There was a LOT of discussion about dragon fighting going on behind teh scenes, researching into tactics, storylines that were set down a while back... people lobbied HARD for the right to write some of this stuff, and the best man won. The Sirrurg fight is just nasty brutal AWESOME, and I gotta give him a salute.

That was the best offer?
ShadowJackal
So what's the deal with Perianwyr, anyone want to spill? Hoping I don't have to break out the ice cream over him.
hermit
I recommend chocolate-cookie dough. Maybe consider chocolate sauce and/or whipped cream with vanilla sugar.

[ Spoiler ]
ShadowJackal
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 15 2013, 06:31 PM) *
I recommend chocolate-cookie dough. Maybe consider chocolate sauce and/or whipped cream with vanilla sugar.

[ Spoiler ]

...Nice. BRB, going to the store.

So I guess I should ask, where did he end up? Some servant of GW? I'm wanting to buy this less and less.
Wakshaani
Well, Ghostwalker declared it illegal to summon spirits in his domain....man.Five year sago? Ish?

When Peri undermined him in public, everybody knew that there'd be blowback. Arresting him is, really, a light slap on the wrist. Ordinarily, two dragons in the same territory results in:

A) One (or more) dead dragons.
B) One dragon and one running away, defeated.
C) One dragon serving another dragon as vassal, after being defeated.

Locking him up instead of 'envassaling' him is ... I don't want to say unprecidented, but quite rare. Maybe Ghostie's going soft?
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 15 2013, 01:31 PM) *

[ Spoiler ]

Ahhh, the joys of being a tyrant means that there's no laws against applying laws ex post facto.

I hope Hestaby is hiring Runners to spring P from the big house, because it's blatantly obvious this is a kangaroo court before a judge and jury of one.
ShadowJackal
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 15 2013, 06:10 PM) *
Ahhh, the joys of being a tyrant means that there's no laws against applying laws ex post facto.

I hope Hestaby is hiring Runners to spring P from the big house, because it's blatantly obvious this is a kangaroo court before a judge and jury of one.

Yeah... I'm out. I'll leave anything more judgemental until I actually read it but I still don't think there were any motiations unless they got explained in Storm Front (I hope they did!).
CanRay
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 15 2013, 01:10 PM) *

One Dragon, One Vote.

Ghostie is the Dragon, and he has the only Vote!

I wonder what the deal is with Peri, however... I mean, he's a music agent!
hermit
So I guess I should ask, where did he end up? Some servant of GW? I'm wanting to buy this less and less.

[ Spoiler ]

I hope Hestaby is hiring Runners to spring P from the big house

Unfortunatly, Hestaby is a bum and has no means. Seriously, I wonder where she sleeps. Maybe she's couch surfing. I joked with bannockburn a lot last night about her showing up at a PC's doss because she has no other place to stay.

Hestaby is looking for employment. As stated above, think of her if you need magical support. She needs the money.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (ShadowJackal @ Mar 15 2013, 02:17 PM) *
Yeah... I'm out. I'll leave anything more judgemental until I actually read it but I still don't think there were any motiations unless they got explained in Storm Front (I hope they did!).

Well the motivation is pretty clear. He did something that flew in the face of Ghostwalker. Ghostwalker is pretty much a big semen colored jerk. He appeared out of nowhere, flew across the country and simply TOOK a city as his own. Threw a tantrum and killed anyone that said anything about it, then kicked one of the megacorps out, just because he didn't like them.

His "Not" killing of the said Dragon in question is him being uncharacteristically nice. His being a jerk and doing what ever he wants, making what ever rules he wants, and enforcing them with his Great Dragon Might, is his SOP.
CanRay
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 15 2013, 01:19 PM) *
Hestaby is looking for employment. As stated above, think of her if you need magical support. She needs the money.
That'd still be "Cutting a deal with a dragon", FYI.

Even a destitute and desperate dragon who would be willing to fire breath someone in the face for money.
All4BigGuns
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 15 2013, 12:24 PM) *
That'd still be "Cutting a deal with a dragon", FYI.

As are several of the adventure hooks in the book... :/
ShadowJackal
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 15 2013, 06:20 PM) *
Well the motivation is pretty clear. He did something that flew in the face of Ghostwalker. Ghostwalker is pretty much a big semen colored jerk. He appeared out of nowhere, flew across the country and simply TOOK a city as his own. Threw a tantrum and killed anyone that said anything about it, then kicked one of the megacorps out, just because he didn't like them.

His "Not" killing of the said Dragon in question is him being uncharacteristically nice. His being a jerk and doing what ever he wants, making what ever rules he wants, and enforcing them with his Great Dragon Might, is his SOP.

But why did P do it in the first place? It was pretty clear he was hiding out in Denver because he screwed Atzlan and cut some deal with GW to be there under his "Safety", so what's with the sudden "eff you"? That's what I'm failing to understand.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (ShadowJackal @ Mar 15 2013, 02:26 PM) *
But why did P do it in the first place? It was pretty clear he was hiding out in Denver because he screwed Atzlan and cut some deal with GW to be there under his "Safety", so what's with the sudden "eff you"? That's what I'm failing to understand.

Well not trying to be funny at all, but he's a dragon too. They kinda do what they want most of the time. Sometimes younger beings buck older ones. Maybe it was a bit of rebellion? Maybe he was payed? Maybe he just thought GW is a jerk and wanted to thumb his nose?
DWC
I skipped the Denver and Europe stuff because I've honestly never cared in the slightest about greater dragons being dicks to each other so I can't comment on those part. However, thanks to a boring day full of watching massive SQL queries run, I read the sections on the SouthAmWar, Seattle, Space, and the last part and thoroughly enjoyed all of them. I'm optimistic for where the story is headed, and I think this might be (amusingly enough) my favorite SR product since System Failure.
ShadowJackal
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 15 2013, 06:19 PM) *
[ Spoiler ]

Unfortunatly, Hestaby is a bum and has no means. Seriously, I wonder where she sleeps. Maybe she's couch surfing. I joked with bannockburn a lot last night about her showing up at a PC's doss because she has no other place to stay.

I am a damn sad panda-jackal right now. frown.gif

Really? That's what Hestaby's up to? She's been reduced to working the corner? *facepalm*
ShadowJackal
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 15 2013, 06:30 PM) *
Well not trying to be funny at all, but he's a dragon too. They kinda do what they want most of the time. Sometimes younger beings buck older ones. Maybe it was a bit of rebellion? Maybe he was payed? Maybe he just thought GW is a jerk and wanted to thumb his nose?

I totally agree with you, I'm just saying when you start mixing the pot this much the writers need to give motivation to the characters because as far as I could tell just about everyone was doing some odd out of character stuff. Sure, they're dragons but when you've established decades of canon with these characters you need to allow them to work in ways that make sense or give motivation for something otherwise. That's just my two cents though.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 15 2013, 02:19 PM) *

I'd think a GD would be able to raise capital quite easily if they needed cashola and were flat broke. Just imagine the strengths of the wards they can put up, how much would a corp pay for those? Sure, it won't get you rich, but it's certainly enough to raise seed money.

That said, Ghostwalker pisses me off. At least Lofwyr gets away with what he does what he does because he showed up with a massive stack of cash and stock certificates and proceeded to turn it into a fucking enormous silo of money. GW should have been gangbanged by AZT, the UCAS, Ares Macrotechnology and the NANs when he showed up and took over Denver. It's the Sixth World, not the Fourth; the idea that a GD can just show up and muscle everybody - important everybodies, mind you, this isn't like he took over some African shithole - around until they just secede him a city to be his own private tyranny is aggravating.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (ShadowJackal @ Mar 15 2013, 01:26 PM) *

Now that's a darn good question, and there're chunks of Clutch of Dragons that ask that very question.

Perhaps it's out of loyalty to the long-lamented death of Kyle Morgan? Maybe Kyle and Peri were closer than people think? Maybe an Azzie exec that was whisked away was a Morgan relative? Maybe Peri figured that if Ghostie killed the Azzies, the reprisals would be more than he could withstand and, as a loyal semi-vassal, acted to save his lord knowing full well that he'd suffer for it?

It's a DAMN good question, with lots of possible answers. Unfortunately, the only one who could answer that is Peri, and he's passed out in lockup.

QUOTE (hermit)

I heard it from a guy who knows a guy that Hestaby is actually happy about this. All these years, all of her life really, she's been a bird trapped in a gilded cage, her responsibilities as a Great DRagon tying her down.

And now?

Now, she's free to follow her dreams.

Hestaby is currently hitchiking down the California coastline, getting in touch with herself, and undertaking a warrior's pilgrimage where she will master her one true love:

Hackey-Sack.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1oulhoO...q47r1o1_400.jpg
Ixal
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 15 2013, 07:10 PM) *

I guess everyone here missed that
[ Spoiler ]

The body count of the book so far (please tell men when I forgot someone):
[ Spoiler ]

And while we are talking about characters we hate, I lost a lot of respect for Harlequin after what he pulls off in Denver.
hermit
As are several of the adventure hooks in the book... :/

And of the few that isn't, one is signing up with Aztlan for a suicide mission. For 25K. But Alamaise pays even shittier.

Really? That's what Hestaby's up to? She's been reduced to working the corner?

She's been stripped of membership in dragon society and all hoards, and sent "into exile". She then "left", which probably means she is not in former US territorry anymore. Where to? No idea. Maybe Antarctica. And she was given the Denairastas treatment for speaking up against traditions. The thing about her working the shadows was sarcasm. I hope it stays sarcasm.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Ixal @ Mar 15 2013, 02:49 PM) *
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

And while we are talking about characters we hate, I lost a lot of respect for Harlequin after what he pulls off in Denver.

Don't forget the 90,000+ that Alamais and his crew ATE, apperently, in the open in the past year.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Ixal @ Mar 15 2013, 12:49 PM) *
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

Sounds about right on the count, but there's more on the way in there. How many chapters in are you?
ShadowJackal
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Mar 15 2013, 06:40 PM) *
Now that's a darn good question, and there're chunks of Clutch of Dragons that ask that very question.

Perhaps it's out of loyalty to the long-lamented death of Kyle Morgan? Maybe Kyle and Peri were closer than people think? Maybe an Azzie exec that was whisked away was a Morgan relative? Maybe Peri figured that if Ghostie killed the Azzies, the reprisals would be more than he could withstand and, as a loyal semi-vassal, acted to save his lord knowing full well that he'd suffer for it?

It's a DAMN good question, with lots of possible answers. Unfortunately, the only one who could answer that is Peri, and he's passed out in lockup.

I heard it from a guy who knows a guy that Hestaby is actually happy about this. All these years, all of her life really, she's been a bird trapped in a gilded cage, her responsibilities as a Great DRagon tying her down.

And now?

Now, she's free to follow her dreams.

Hestaby is currently hitchiking down the California coastline, getting in touch with herself, and undertaking a warrior's pilgrimage where she will master her one true love:

Hackey-Sack.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1oulhoO...q47r1o1_400.jpg

Ha! I ship that so hard. You can't tell me that the fiction at the end of Mercurial isn't just that. biggrin.gif

Maybe Hestaby's going to show up at Burning Man this year nyahnyah.gif
Ixal
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 15 2013, 07:52 PM) *
But Alamaise pays even shittier.

About which mission are you talking?
Sure the 5k for smuggling weapons is a bit low, but he still pays twice as much than Lofwyr for the actual battle (500k). Ok, he will never pay and instead eat you, but still...

By the way, I just noticed that the stats in the book will be updated for 5E when it comes out.

Stats in the book (no guarantee that all of them will be updated)

- Generic Priest Mr Johnson
- Sirrurg + Entropy spell
- Alamais
- Frosty
- Harlequin
- Perianwyr
- Martin de Vries
Ixal
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Mar 15 2013, 07:59 PM) *
Sounds about right on the count, but there's more on the way in there. How many chapters in are you?

Finished Ares yesterday, now moving to the smaller events.
ShadowJackal
QUOTE (Ixal @ Mar 15 2013, 06:49 PM) *
[ Spoiler ]

Well that's a relief (I think).
hermit
Sure the 5k for smuggling weapons is a bit low, but he still pays twice as much than Lofwyr for the actual battle (500k). Ok, he will never pay and instead eat you, but still...

15K for half a mil worth of weapons and man-eating tree sap (in batches of 5K). 15K for taking on the entire Tír pace force of Portland. That's way out of proportion, the cheap sucker. Of course, Aztlan expects willing suicide for 25K.
Fatum
Man, the book is just painful to read.

De la Rosa was becoming nervous and the priesthood from the Path of the Sun priesthood was also very displeased with him.

After several months of searching for his base of operations near Roswell, the Aztlan military finally struck gold and located Sirrurg’s base just outside of Roswell.

as the average solider had stopped believing in his country

And so on, and so for. Seriously, if the upcoming Fifth Edition has this quality of editing (read: hasn't apparently been proofread once) I am not buying it.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 15 2013, 03:22 PM) *
Man, the book is just painful to read.

And so on, and so for. Seriously, if the upcoming Fifth Edition has this quality of editing (read: hasn't apparently been proofread once) I am not buying it.

Mmmm I'm callin' foul.

If you want the book you'll buy the book even with a few grammar errors. It's a role playing book, not a moving tale of exquisite prose for the modern age. It's a roleplaying book, they're renown from the first, for having grammar and logistical errors.

"If you don't get better editing!! I Won't buy it!!"

Yes ya will. lol how else would you be able to go over it with a fine toothed comb to look for grammar errors to bitch and moan about?
hermit
Pepsi, if you believe this, then you know nothing.
Fatum
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 15 2013, 10:29 PM) *
Mmmm I'm callin' foul.

If you want the book you'll buy the book even with a few grammar errors. It's a role playing book, not a moving tale of exquisite prose for the modern age. It's a roleplaying book, they're renown from the first, for having grammar and logistical errors.
Half a dozen glaring errors on each page make a book unpleasant to read. Showing complete disrespect to the readers, if you will.

QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 15 2013, 10:29 PM) *
"If you don't get better editing!! I Won't buy it!!"

Yes ya will. lol how else would you be able to go over it with a fine toothed comb to look for grammar errors to bitch and moan about?
Yes, really, how? No way in hell to do it.
And no, I will not pay the money I earn for doing a fair job to someone who's doing an extremely sloppy one.
bannockburn
It's a roleplaying book, they're renown from the first, for having grammar and logistical errors.

That is simply not true.
CGL books are 'renowned' for it. I would call it notorious, though. And yes, it is _really bad_ and it is valid criticism to point it out time and again.

how else would you be able to go over it with a fine toothed comb to look for grammar errors to bitch and moan about?

Also, it is really insulting to insinuate this.
For one thing, it doesn't even take a fine toothed comb because some of these mistakes are glaring. Even to non native speakers like Fatum, hermit, and me.
Lionhearted
Out of curiosity, is the same trend true for the german books?
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 15 2013, 03:36 PM) *
Pepsi, if you believe this, then you know nothing.

I know psychology. Someone with almost two thousand posts on one shadowrun forum, isn't going to 'Not' buy the new edition of a book due to a select few grammar errors. To say so is silly. I also have thousands and thousands of dollars in RPG books. They --all-- have grammar errors. Many much more egregious than what was listed above. It's the nature of the beast.

If you don't want to buy a new edition of an RPG, that's fine, but if you're active to the point of thousands of posts on a rpg board, grammar alone, isn't going to stop you from buying a book.

Some people aren't happy unless they're complaining. That's all.
Fatum
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Mar 15 2013, 10:37 PM) *
For one thing, it doesn't even take a fine toothed comb because some of these mistakes are glaring. Even to non native speakers like Fatum, hermit, and me.
I'd say noticing something like a dragon's hoard being called "horde" four times in a single page doesn't take anything but a proofreader different from an automated spellchecker.

QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Mar 15 2013, 10:41 PM) *
Out of curiosity, is the same trend true for the german books?
No. The Germans translate and edit them.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 15 2013, 03:37 PM) *
Half a dozen glaring errors on each page make a book unpleasant to read.

Hyperbolic. There'sn ot a half dozen GLARING ERRORS per page. You might as well have said "A hundred!!!"

Showing complete disrespect to the readers, if you will.

You're making it out to be worse than it is. It's simply not that bad. You must remember as well, most of the book is written as people on Jackpoint relating things to Jackpoint. As in it's the runner's talking. Their grammar isn't going to be perfect.

Yes, really, how? No way in hell to do it.
And no, I will not pay the money I earn for doing a fair job to someone who's doing an extremely sloppy one.

So you're here, close to two thousand posts on the Shadowrun boards, and you're going to what, barrow a buddy's book to proof read for grammar before you invest money into buying your own? LOL

Oooooooooook. *Shrugs* Sorry. It's silly. And if you DO barrow people's books to proof read them for grammar before buying them. lol that's even worse. It's just a silly premise.

Don't get me wrong, if there actually ARE a huge amount of glaring errors it's one thing. If it's a few that slip through now and then, that's called "A Role Playing book" and you need to seriously understand what you're reading/paying for. We'd all like them to be 100% correct, but you're making it out like they're just horrid horrid glaring mistakes. And it's simply not that bad
Lionhearted
PJ there's several people on this forum that been around for quite a while and consider 4th edition the worst thing to happen since reality television, so that statement isn't necessarily accurate.
Fatum
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 15 2013, 10:43 PM) *
If you don't want to buy a new edition of an RPG, that's fine, but if you're active to the point of thousands of posts on a rpg board, grammar alone, isn't going to stop you from buying a book.
Haha, watch me.

QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 15 2013, 10:43 PM) *
Some people aren't happy unless they're complaining. That's all.
I'd be glad not to have a reason to complain. However, not doing even the simplest editing on a text gives up that it's written in a slipshod manner, and nothing good should be expected of it. And what do you think: take the pdf releases, the stats quality for the items offered matches the quality of general writing: noone's done proofreading on them other than maybe something superficial, so you get APCs with Improved Suspension upgrade by default.
Why exactly would I want to support that approach to a system and a setting I like monetarily?
Ixal
People please.
Can we stop arguing about what people will or wont do and their reasons for it?
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Mar 15 2013, 03:48 PM) *
PJ there's several people on this forum that been around for quite a while and consider 4th edition the worst thing to happen since reality television, so that statement isn't necessarily accurate.

lol Liking or disliking an edition is fine. Like I said if you don't want to shell out for a FIFTH edition of the book. That's totally understandable. I think most of us will, but if a few people are tired of buying new editions. That's understandable.

"I disected a sentence and you used "A' instead of 'an' or 'Horde' instead of 'hoard', so I'm not going to buy the book!! I protest!! I'll boycot with out better.......... editing!!"

That's silly.

Again if it was just horrible horrible. I could understand it. I've got -a lot- of RPGs. Some of them are quite bad. Shadowrun's not that bad. It's about average for RPGs. If not slightly above.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012