Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Run! Recruitment
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
Aria
Spirits loose 2 points of force in a BC of 2!!! I think then giving them a further penalty of -2D to actions might be a bit much nyahnyah.gif
Beta
In the game I’m running for my son, we played through Boston: Lockdown. Background of two or higher everywhere, and he is playing a shaman, so we both expected him to be pretty screwed. Turns out that in a magic light environment where there are few other rules, even weakened magic can be very potent. Using levitate to stay out of the reach of the ‘zombie mobs’ doesn’t take a high force or number of successes, even a weak barrier can withstand any amount of stun damage, movement and concealment from spirits is very potent when you aren’t dealing with magical security, etc.

And when you throw in that there is minimal gear of any sort, and relatively little cyberware, I think you’ll be able to do more than just craft smile.gif
irn0rchid
QUOTE (Aria @ Jul 13 2016, 04:32 PM) *
Spirits loose 2 points of force in a BC of 2!!! I think then giving them a further penalty of -2D to actions might be a bit much nyahnyah.gif

From SG:
Dual-natured creatures
or purely astral creatures take a negative dice pool penalty to all
actions equal to the background count. Again the exception of a
domain can apply to specific types of creatures or spirit types.

I'm not sure where it says they actually lower force by 2? (Lowering force by 2 is effectively a penalty of -4D for most things)

Edit: The things that are reduced by BC (rather than suffer dice penalty) are:
Pre-existing active foci, sustained spells, quickened/anchored
spells and rituals are reduced by the background count.

That said, it's your world, if you want them -2 Force, then they are! nyahnyah.gif
Imladir
QUOTE (Betx @ Jul 13 2016, 11:34 PM) *
And when you throw in that there is minimal gear of any sort, and relatively little cyberware, I think you’ll be able to do more than just craft smile.gif

Oh I don't doubt it, it was more of a jest than anything ^^
Since I made choices I knew where subpar in this situation, I certainly don't intend to be a game-changer here anyway. So even if it's a bit harder than I thought, it won't change much.
For example even if Fashion is harder to work with than I thought, I can proceed step by step to achieve what I want. And Makeover will allow us to keep a (meta)human visage so I'm happy just with that.
And for the rest well, there's always the group and the Karma fairy.

I think I'll start lockdown on friday (at least GM made allusion to Boston at the end of last game so...) with my mage. So I'm glad to know that levitate or physical barrier will be nice to have since I do have them but obviously, I wouldn't want too much spoilers there wink.gif
Aria
You are right about the force thing, hangover from previous editions nyahnyah.gif

Feel free to roll the clothes OR for me! 6&8 should be fine

Good luck in Boston, you'll need it!!!
Imladir
Clothes OR: 8d6t5 2 for Dana's clothes. I have two net hits. According to the description of the spell, "Color can change slightly (e.g., blue to green or purple, but not red).". So it might be enough for what we want. I may not be able to get brown, but some dark gray would suffice no? Not sure about green though.
Clothes OR: 8d6t5 2 same for Klarissa.

I edited my last answer to reflect those changes, sorry for the confusion.
Gilga
Edited my last post.
Digital Heroin
Going to write up a Blank ambush post soon. I just need to consult my personal laptop, then get time in my workspace alone to roll/type up a combat. I imagine it will be fairly quick and brutal, but hopefully not lethal. He wants to send a message.

Oh Boston... I so want to run a game set there, but my tabletop group is super green for SR... so I'm running a custom survival horror scenario in a replica of the Sears Tower for them. Well, I'm planning it. 120 floors of things that want you dead... a replica version of which I am sorely tempted to run here on the boards.
Imladir
I know we usually don't roll for Force 4 spirits, but since Cailin already has quite a bit of Stun, I felt I should do it this time.
Earth spirit summoning: 10d6t5 2 Erk
Spirit resistance: 4d6t5 2 Raaaah
Drain resistance: 13d6t5 4 Ha...
First try was not that successful. I blame Lindsey. (And I forgot the -1d due to stun damage, but it doesn't change anything anyway...).

So, new try:
Earth spirit summoning: 9d6t5 4 Much better!
Spirit resistance: 4d6t5 0 Ha!
Drain resistance: 13d6t5 3 And no drain`\o/

So a Force 4 spirit with 4 services:
1) Help Dana & Dot reach Rick's camp

Sadly (very sadly, so sadly in fact I think I'll cry...) this is a remote service since the two camps are two kilometres from each other.
So no more service.
The first service will count as three then (Guard + Movement + Concealment). If something happens to them, I'm outa here eek.gif
Gilga
Any link to game map ? I think the two camps are not very far.
At any case Dana levitate the tiger with F4 - reduced to F2 by background count. So 2 meters per combat turn that turns out to be: 2*20*60/1000 = 2.4 kilometers per hour.
So providing the two camps are ~2 kilometers from one another (as I recall) they would be there in less than an hour or so.
irn0rchid
The map is in the 2nd post of the main world thread.
Gilga
Thanks, I see it now, so we need to go down stream until we get to the open space and then walk to camp. As we need to cross 3 kilometers in birds view and walking will be 4-5.

Aria
There's also a bit of a cliff to negotiate! It will take upwards of an hour, possibly two given the terrain and lack of light. I don't want to push on too much as I think Blank's actions are going to stir a hornets nest before Dot and Dana reach the main camp...?!?

DH, feel free to roll for your victims too! One will try to run, the other two will fight to 6 boxes of stun or 3 physical before trying to run, use 3s (+dwarf racial modifications for one) across the board, Will 4+ if it becomes an issue
Gilga
I will edit - taking the meat makes no sense right now in the middle of the night. Dana would offer to levitate her and Dot to the camp.

I think the two events may be interleaving - or even Dana and Dot would arrive after the attack.
irn0rchid
So what's the timeline now?
"Mid morning": Cailin talks to Rick
Cailin does recon with Sim (4-5 hours)
3PM: Trade talk with Lindsey/Rick/Aria here (immediately after Cailin leaves camp).
Cailin walks (Movement) to Maya's camp (hour?)
Cailin gathers materials and makes some implements (a few hours?)
6PM: Trip back to Rick's camp with meat (4-5 hours?)
6PM: Trip back to Rick's camp (2 hours)
Blank's ambush around here?

And did you guys switch back to just giving the meat instead of trying to trade? Last bit I see referencing it is Maya giving in to the others about trading. Or are you just moving it 'just in case' instead of leaving it in the water?

Edited the above based on posts while I was typing. nyahnyah.gif
Gilga
We want to trade, Lindsey seems to not want us to trade wink.gif - we are waiting for that part to be resolved (I think whatever you decided with Rick - it should realistically be known by now - unless you decided to ignore Aria and not keep radio silence.)
irn0rchid
I was assuming Aria would be present for Lindsey's comment and any response from Rick, as well as Rick making an 'official' response to her. So yeah, you guys should know one way or the other at this point in the Maya camp timeline.
Beta
New IC post up, but two things I’m a bit worried about with it:

Addie is making use of what should be Blank’s armor. I didn’t see much odds that anyone was going to agree to hand it over, and it should still be functional, if possibly somewhat stained and smelling faintly of vegetable soup. But I’m willing to re-write that if I’m stepping over a line on using someone else’s gear. Let me know.

Also: timing. This post took Addie to after ‘supper’ at the main camp (which may be fairly early, after a demanding day I think they’d not delay in cooking up what was brought in) …. I can break that up or edit it depending on the timing of Blank’s ambush, which will obviously cause some uproar.

And to note, Addie has seven dice in cooking (I had an adding error on her character sheet showing that she had 8, fixing that momentarily). Given an extra die for teamwork from Pierre, and taking away 3-4 dice penalties for improvised gear, should still let her buy one success – enough for making something edible, if not exactly appetizing.
Imladir
At least the insulation [8] on the clothes will help the soup stay hot for a while biggrin.gif

Dana, don't forget that you and Dot have Cailin's spirit's help when going to the main camp. It might not be possible for the cliff (not sure it would count as earth domain for the Movement power) but it certainly does for the rest of the trip. And Cailin levitated from the top of the cliff to it's bottom with Dot and Klarissa (the last spell would be at -4d for Sustain which would leave 10d, more than enough for an effective force 2 levitate): it shouldn't come as a surprise to Dot.
Aria
You can make it on foot...it's just not easy, particularly in the semi-dark...
Beta
QUOTE (Cailin O'Connor @ Jul 14 2016, 03:34 PM) *
At least the insulation [8] on the clothes will help the soup stay hot for a while biggrin.gif

Well, they didn't really make soup, just steamed vegetables with some juices running out of some them that got overcooked.

But I'm responding for a different reason -- I get confused sometimes with the various armor features and ratings. These body suits have insulation -- as in temperature insulation, rather than electrical insulation? I was assuming that something so high tech, made to wear under clothes, would not be hot to wear, but anything with extensive temperature insulation actually would be, I'd think?

so I guess what I'm asking is:

1) is this armor hot to wear? (if so I'll edit my IC post)
2) is it electrically insulating, or just temperature insulating? (I've not stuck it in an IC post yet, but Addie will have checked on herself by now)
3) I think the armor rating was 8. But I think that additional features (heat or electrical insulation, for instance) have their own, separate, ratings?
Aria
Armour rating is 8, it only has a capacity of 3 (fits you like a glove) and with a bit of GM fiat this is Thermally Regulating [3] so a mixture of heat and cold resistance!
Beta
QUOTE (Aria @ Jul 14 2016, 08:18 PM) *
Armour rating is 8, it only has a capacity of 3 (fits you like a glove) and with a bit of GM fiat this is Thermally Regulating [3] so a mixture of heat and cold resistance!

Awesome, thanks!

And I think we all kind of need to hang fire for Blank's ambush to happen, as it is apt to have a lot of repercussions!
irn0rchid
Lindsey's not going to do anything interesting between Rick deciding if we're gonna trade or not and Blank doing his thing, so don't wait on her.
Aria
If you have a burning itch to post you can always do a flashback from earlier in the day if you like (or even a flashback to 'before this shit happened')...as long as the 'timestamp' makes it clear!
Imladir
I don't know why I associated the [8] with both the armour rating and the insulation rating. Maybe I'm used to fill the capacity of an armour and since it's equal to it's armour rating unless otherwise specified...
I found it maybe a bit excessive but I didn't stop and think about it really hard ^^

Neither too hot not too cold, silky smooth. She's got nothing next to nothing to show or hide so the "fits like a glove" is not an issue. I think Cailin really loves those clothes.
Except that they are a bit bland of course... She'll absolutely have to try and improve that!

QUOTE (Aria @ Jul 14 2016, 10:47 PM) *
If you have a burning itch to post you can always do a flashback from earlier in the day if you like (or even a flashback to 'before this shit happened')...as long as the 'timestamp' makes it clear!

Hum. I may take you up on that. Since Cailin (and Klarissa) is asleep in the small camp, I probably won't have anything to post until the morning so I'll have time to prepare something.
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (Aria @ Jul 14 2016, 01:34 PM) *
There's also a bit of a cliff to negotiate! It will take upwards of an hour, possibly two given the terrain and lack of light. I don't want to push on too much as I think Blank's actions are going to stir a hornets nest before Dot and Dana reach the main camp...?!?

DH, feel free to roll for your victims too! One will try to run, the other two will fight to 6 boxes of stun or 3 physical before trying to run, use 3s (+dwarf racial modifications for one) across the board, Will 4+ if it becomes an issue

Will cook up the rolls/post tonight, when I take the watch. Working out the rolls I'll need ahead of time.
Mercy
How far do we go while waiting for Blank to do his thing? Gilga, you might need to retcon some of your posts if you keep going since the attack might already have occurred and could change what you are seeing and doing.
Aria
Since we're being vague about timelines I'm going to assume that the attack occurs (or at least the camp finds out about it) shortly after Dana arrives and sits down to listen to the singing...hopefully that works for everyone else too?!?
Gilga
I think it makes a better story that way. No matter when was the attack it will take hunters a few hours to return, especially wounded and so forth. Then I get to RP the panic in the camp or whatever reactions people will have to some bleeding hunters returning.

P.S: Aria can you resolve the trading chat - it happened long before the attack.
irn0rchid
QUOTE (Aria @ Jul 15 2016, 10:07 AM) *
Since we're being vague about timelines I'm going to assume that the attack occurs (or at least the camp finds out about it) shortly after Dana arrives and sits down to listen to the singing...hopefully that works for everyone else too?!?

I'll need to know where dusk is in relation to the attack occurring and the news/bodies getting to camp please.
Beta
@Aria: I was looking at the map, and shifted it to 'terrain view' (top right option when you use the 'base map' pulldown) which suddenly made elevations quite clear, and it really changed how I looked at the area (it is REALLY hilly/mountainous) ... and it would seem that the 2nd (large) camp is on a rather steep slope -- drops about 1400' (420 metres) over a kilometer horizontal distance. Should we assume that the group found a small flat area for the camp? (if we really are on mostly perched on a steep hill side I'd roll that into the fluff of my IC posts). Or should we just look at the broader terrain nature and not worry about the map slopes too much. Or would you like to nudge the camp one way or another a bit? Or ....?
adamu
@Aria - been leading up to this for a while, but time now to get down to brass tacks.

What's it gonna take to make a bow and some arrows?

I generously figure I've got -5 dice in penalties (poor conditions -2 [not bad conditions since got food and a dry cave to work in], -2 for inadequate tools [not tools unavailable, since I've got the main tool, the knife], and -1 for working from memory [based on my Logic]).

But still leaves me four dice to work with from my pool of nine (Logic 4, Armorer 3 with spec in Archery).
Also I think I've now got all the necessary materials (yeah, been Interwebbing bowmaking, and primitive but effective bows are not that hard to make - no, I sure as heck couldn't do it, but it turns out it is not as long and complex a task as my city-softened-weakling self had imagined).

So if you approve those mods, I need you to assign threshold and interval.
Hopefully the threshold will be that applicable to a professional bowmaker, not a little kid in the woods (my skill level is above the 4 "professional" level).

Let me know what you think!

@Mercy, seems like Maya is pretty busy with stuff - don't know how you feel about her working on this pretty much full-time like Raf is (been avoiding other time-consuming activities), but maybe a teamwork assist - noticed you also have a lot of dice in this....
Imladir
I'll make sure it's pretty if you want nyahnyah.gif
Beta
Put up a post from back in the middle of the day, developing Jugalo and Niyaf a bit (and giving Addie's fear of snakes some air-time. It isn't bad enough to stop her from doing things, but it will change how she does things).
adamu
QUOTE (Cailin O'Connor @ Jul 15 2016, 09:34 PM) *
I'll make it's pretty if you want nyahnyah.gif

Sweet. Raf would like that.

I actually think Raf and Cailin would hit it off well - same age, both from British isles, both from an elite but conscientious background.

Beta
Aria: I went and spent some karma (updated character sheet) -- let me know if there is any issue with this.

- increased artisan from 1 to 2 (4 karma) -- has made a number of things over the course of day 2 and 3, so a couple of days of working on this
- increased survival from 2 to 3 (6 karma) -- has now had three days of fairly intensive survival training!
- increased 'main group kids' knowledge from 1 to 2 (2 karma) -- have now had three days of getting to know them all.

(this uses up my karma from posts. I think there was some starting karma from making character sheets and background and so forth, but not quite sure how much that was)

--------------------

ETA: added Jamal and Leslie to the Run!ners list on OP, and updated Niyaf and Jugalo. Posting this to remind others that this list is there, if you name someone it would be awesome if you could add them: http://stormy-waters-2075.obsidianportal.com/wikis/runers It gets really hard to remember everyone who has been named and what has been said about them (at least for me, I'm terrible at remembering names)
Imladir
Should be 5 karma for all of this.
And I've added a note about Klarissa.
Aria
QUOTE (Betx @ Jul 15 2016, 08:48 PM) *
@Aria: I was looking at the map, and shifted it to 'terrain view' (top right option when you use the 'base map' pulldown) which suddenly made elevations quite clear, and it really changed how I looked at the area (it is REALLY hilly/mountainous) ... and it would seem that the 2nd (large) camp is on a rather steep slope -- drops about 1400' (420 metres) over a kilometer horizontal distance. Should we assume that the group found a small flat area for the camp? (if we really are on mostly perched on a steep hill side I'd roll that into the fluff of my IC posts). Or should we just look at the broader terrain nature and not worry about the map slopes too much. Or would you like to nudge the camp one way or another a bit? Or ....?

You are absolutely right, just Google Earthed it nyahnyah.gif let's assume the camp is further down the valley... I don't think it affects any IC... Will move the marker when I get a chance, or someone else can...
Digital Heroin
I forgot to ask if these guys were armored... going to assume they were not there when the suits showed up... poor bastards.

Rolls are being made with Rolz until I can sort a dice roller that actually saves results. Not on the ship, but I half rolled there when I was, and consistency is king. I'll be as detailed with the roll explanations as possible.
irn0rchid
Orokos is the best roller. Xd6t5 works for Shadowrun.
Imladir
Or Xd6h5 if you use edge pre-roll.

QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Jul 16 2016, 10:35 AM) *
I forgot to ask if these guys were armored... going to assume they were not there when the suits showed up... poor bastards.

The clothes were found in the morning. Since Blank is attacking at the end of the afternoon, it will depend on how long scouting parties take: half a day? a day? I don't know anything about that but wouldn't half-day scouting parties be more reasonable?
Gilga
I think that traditionally hunting parties should take a few days. They need to get sufficiently farther away from a camp to hunt.
Imladir
Well then, no armour it is.
Blank is a bully!
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (irn0rchid @ Jul 16 2016, 11:10 AM) *
Orokos is the best roller. Xd6t5 works for Shadowrun.

I am largely limited by what works through a military Firewall/Filter that does not like games. Rolz seems to pass through as it is probability site.

...also, I am up to 56 rolls for this combat... bloody hell.

Just about done the rolling (Dwarf was a bastard to knock out, ultimately a Critical Glitch felled him). Next comes my favorite part... describing the violence. biggrin.gif
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (Cailin O'Connor @ Jul 16 2016, 11:30 AM) *
Well then, no armour it is.
Blank is a bully!

Blank has no morality. He's a monster. Scarier than a bully. nyahnyah.gif
Gilga
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Jul 16 2016, 12:32 PM) *

did you give him super human psychosis?
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (Gilga @ Jul 16 2016, 01:19 PM) *
did you give him super human psychosis?

Slightly modified version of Blank Slate. The only personality he has is that absorbed from observation of a driven and sociopathic DocWagon Tech and a pack of Chimera assassin-trainers. He has next to no education outside of killing, and no concept of how the real world works or how people interact in a moral framework. The only near-morality he knows is the Vory prison gang code, taught to him by one of his trainers in a departure from his regime of learning. All his infiltration into normal society was done under the influence of personafixes, and only under them does he have any personality or moral compass.
Imladir
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Jul 16 2016, 01:32 PM) *

I can see that!
I'm almost glad Cailin is asleep in the other camp, even if the repercussions will probably be felt everywhere. No idea what will come of it...
Except probably that Blank will be forever alone that is ^^ Or at least, for a good while (unless something so big happens that his fighting skills override any other concerns that is...)
Digital Heroin
Blank's Ambush

Opponents

Human Fighter (hFight) (Tripped the wire)
- 3B, 3A, 3R, 3S, 4W, 3I, 3C
- Init: 6+1d6
- Conditions: Physical 9 Stun 10
- Limits: Physical 4

Human Runner (hRuns)
- 3B, 3A, 3R, 3S, 4W, 3I, 3C
- Conditions: Physical 9 Stun 10
- Limits: Physical 4

Dwarf
- 5B, 3A, 3R, 5S, 4W, 3L, 3I, 3C
- Conditions: Physical 10 Stun 10
- Limits: Physical 6

Surprise Rolls:
[ Spoiler ]

Surprise Round

Initiative
[ Spoiler ]

1st Pass
[ Spoiler ]

Combat Turn 1

Initiative
[ Spoiler ]

1st Pass

[ Spoiler ]

Combat Turn 2

Initiative
[ Spoiler ]

First Pass
[ Spoiler ]

Second Pass
[ Spoiler ]

Combat Turn 3
Initiative
[ Spoiler ]

First Pass
[ Spoiler ]

Second Pass
[ Spoiler ]

Combat Turn 4

Initiative
[ Spoiler ]

First Pass
[ Spoiler ]

Second Pass
[ Spoiler ]

Combat Turn 5

Initiative
[ Spoiler ]

First Pass
[ Spoiler ]

Second Pass
[ Spoiler ]

Combat Turn Six

Initiative
[ Spoiler ]

Pass One
[ Spoiler ]

End Result:

Dwarf is KOed
Human Fighter is KOed w. 3 Boxes of Physical Damage
Human Runner is KOed w. 1 Box of Physical Damage
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012