Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Run! Recruitment
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
Aria
To avoid mass confusion we'll have the hunters finally stir to consciousness just after Lindsey's troublemaking and then skip ahead to dawn...will try and get some IC up soon!

As a word of warning, I'm off on holiday from Sat for 10 days and whilst I won't be completely off grid I won't be doing any IC. Will try and nudge things along as best I can OoC but you can always post flashbacks if you find you are waiting for me too long!
Imladir
I'll be on holiday from Saturday for the week too myself smile.gif
And very probably without internet access at all (or for a lunch somewhere, maybe but not guaranteed).
Mercy
Maya can hold off on the morning if anyone still has things to do at night.
Beta
I've got a post coming for Addie on pre-dawn patrol/reacting to the spirit. But that is large camp, so if you get a bit ahead I think that would be OK.

================

Addie would be on watch, and not in the group right around the fire (somewhere far enough out that the fire wouldn’t ruin their night vision, but not so far out that groups are easily picked off without anybody noticing). Having no particular idea of where she’d be relative to the flight of the spirit I did a quick edge roll, getting 1 success on three dice. Which I interpreted as ‘might see something, but not near the spirit’s path’.

That leads into a perception check (visual 12d6, gave it a -3 dice for range, she treats dim light as normal conditions so no mod there, gives 9 dice) spot-the-spirit: 9d6t5 4

Seems like enough to have gotten a fair look, from range. Will write it up in IC soon-ish. Sorry not to be quicker.
Beta
I have my in post written, just don't have that computer on the net yet. But it isn't going to really change anything in the short term. So if anyone is holding a big camp IC post for Addie, go ahead, being out of sequence won't change much.
Digital Heroin
Flashbacks I can do. Blank might not have his own personality, but he has history. I've got a rollicking amount of stories running through my head for him.
Aria
@Cailin, not sure if it has been spelt out but in my mind Sim is human not Orc, about 15...

I would prefer it if you didn't go too far into the future on this one, Rick is likely to hold a war council in the morning, staying quiet and listening to the Tribunal. Simon will be all for attacking Maya's group, PCs can decide for themselves smile.gif

No trading of course, the clothes are gone nyahnyah.gif

Should give you enough to IC. Anyone from the small camp going to the big will get serious hostility until the truth (or a version of it) begins to emerge...

Rick will also get groups working on ways to counter the mages...can't spell cast if you can't see right?!?
Beta
Have a good vacation, Aria! (I'm going to have limited access (maybe occasionally, on my phone) Sunday through Tuesday -- and probably not a lot of time in general between now and Wednesday. So Aria's vacation works out well for me, actually)

I'll see what I can do about getting something up tonight or tomorrow in terms of war council. But if others are writing before me, rough outline is that Addie doesn't know what it was, but doesn't want to jump to conclusions. She is (quietly) for further investigations, but mostly will focus on damping down warmongering, and preventing splintering of the group (in spirit if not geographically). In this she will probably be outmaneuvered by Lindsey, but she isn't yet giving up.
Aria
I was thinking principally about Blank's attack... I suspect Simon at least will link him to Maya via Raf who was seen talking to him
Gilga
Shouldn't the 'truth' already be known ? Blank appears in Scrap's video. Or did Aria just keep that info to herself?
irn0rchid
Yeah, I was about to ask that before doing IC. When does Aria get Scrap's video and when does she present it to the camp at large? Does anyone have a way to project the video, or does she have to describe it? Maybe have Aria interrupt the tribunal/war council with it?

Edit: BTW, my current plan is for Niyaf to return to camp during the war council as well... sarcastic.gif

Edit 2: Do you small campers want to show up to trade before/during/after the council? Or have it happen over commlinks with Addie or Aria?
Gilga
Realistically speaking, even if we wake up early and leave to the main camp - it will take a few hours to get there - so we will arrive late morning. What do you think would make a better scene ?

One thing I had in mind was having Dana and Caillin charm the camp while you are in war council (they brought plenty of meat for a group of hungry kids that are left without their 'elders'). Or we can tell the darker story of how they are either attacked on sight or expelled from there - or even brought to the council if you like.
irn0rchid
Charming the camp might be interesting but I'm not sure how reasonable it would be for the council to be so far away from camp that they wouldn't notice that. If we assume ahead of time that there will be no actual trading, most interesting might be you guys walking into the aftermath of the war council dealing with Niyaf and Muhaamad. I could see that going all sorts of different ways with Cailin and Maya (and poor Addie nyahnyah.gif). If Niyaf drama is going on that also prevents you guys just being run out of camp on sight (due to the distraction), which is boring. wink.gif
Gilga
Just saying since you are speaking on a very delicate manner I doubt you would do so in plain sight of the rest. You'll probably close one of the tents with a guard or something - so it would take you a while to be aware of things.

And by the way, the fact that there are no body gloves does not mean no trading - at least not to us - the fact that club wielding children may be swarming us or something may mean that. Though I honestly sees a very high body count if it degrades to actual violence.
irn0rchid
Oh, I interpreted Aria saying no trading up above as meaning Rick was going to refuse all trades. Lindsey will argue against a good deal, but if Rick isn't just saying no, then I guess it depends on what you'll settle for. Not even really sure what all the camp has. wink.gif
Gilga
some vegetables or a tent would be very nice. A medic kit also but I doubt we can get one.

irn0rchid
I bet you can finagle veggies from Addie and her helpers. There are only three tents and they hold at least twice the people in your camp, so I'm pretty sure Lindsey won't even have to try to stop that. wink.gif
Gilga
Just three?
oh well.
I wanted to make Hammok's out of a tent. I was under the impression of small camping style gear but well.

So we'll settle on empty crates so that Caillin can make something nice out of the wood. wink.gif
Imladir
QUOTE (Aria @ Jul 22 2016, 10:50 PM) *
@Cailin, not sure if it has been spelt out but in my mind Sim is human not Orc, about 15...

Oops, my bad, I'll change that.

I would prefer it if you didn't go too far into the future on this one

I won't, since I probably won't be able to post until next week-end.

No trading of course, the clothes are gone nyahnyah.gif

No trading for clothes, but there is still stuff we could use.

Should give you enough to IC. Anyone from the small camp going to the big will get serious hostility until the truth (or a version of it) begins to emerge...

The hunters are awake, and at least two of them saw Blank attack them, not Maya. So this, at least, shouldn't be an issue, even if other people keep their mouths shut.

Rick will also get groups working on ways to counter the mages...can't spell cast if you can't see right?!?

Glad he doesn't think about Astral Perception ^^

Anyway, since I won't be able to post, some things that Cailin will do/say that you can add in your ICs. That way, I won't hold you back:
- Summon a water elemental to get some fishes (A kilo or two, no more probably)
- On the way to Rick's camp, she will seem to talk to someone (if asked, she'll say it's her Mentor, Brigid), and pick up some pebbles, small wood, leaves, etc.
- Cailin has 13d in her Judge Intentions pool. So she should catch up quickly that there's a problem, and will inform Dana about what she feels (and probably summon a big earth spirit to hang around before going in the camp if she feels she might be in danger)
- For Blank's attack, she can't say much, she only saw Blank once, when he took some tools on the first day. Never saw him again.
- For the spirit's theft, she will point out that they don't have the clothes, and having them disappear is a hell of a lot more an issue for them than for Rick's troop. And they certainly don't have them. If the discussion becomes hot, she will raise an important point, at least if someone saw the spirit and can describe it: each tradition has its own representation of spirits. To her, they look a lot like elves (with appropriate elemental effects of course, but with an elven core), she can't change it (and doesn't even know if it's possible for anyone, at least not to her given the rigidity of the Path of the Wheel). And, she knows at least four Awakened in the camp able to summon spirits: Dana and herself in the small camp, Sim and another one in the main camp. Unless Lindsey is really nasty (and by that I mean really pushes for action), she won't name her.

Two other points: Dot and Klarissa were with the group all day. They can't swear that they have nothing to do with the attack, but they think the small group's ignorance of the attack was not faked.
For the theft, it was Klarissa's turn to keep watch. She will say that at the time, everyone else was asleep in the small camp (and concede that since it was a spirit, it could have been summoned earlier, given the order to act after a given amount of time. But still...). And given the discussion about clothes in the morning, she doesn't think that anyone knew anything about that, and certainly not Dana nor Cailin: the first one probably couldn't lie credibly for so long even if she wanted too, and she's not sure Cailin knows how to lie (to which Cailin will seem affronted, of course she can lie!). Should anyone make the mistake of saying stuff like she's fallen in love, or was corrupted, or whatever other nonsense, she's likely to react badly (and possibly physically). She's with Rick all the way (and she really is), but pinning everything on the small camp seems unfair to her. And she hates unfair with a passion. She respects Dana as a Warrior, and while she has trouble with Cailin's naïvety (and her bi-color cloud as Rick so aptly said) and find this to be hopeless, at least, it makes her unable to do much in the way of stealing.

I probably forgot some stuff, but it should be enough for a while, so don't hesitate to go on using all this smile.gif
Good thing I chose Diplomacy as my Negotiation speciality...
Aria
Truth is still highly subjective, Blank has been linked to Maya's self imposed exiles. Rick is concerned about that, he doesn't really give a damn about the clothes theft. He sees that as a distraction tactic. Blank threatened him directly, that is going to be at the forefront... There's no doubt it was Blank not Dana/Maya attacked the hunters, but for those anti-Maya (not Rick actually, he has no axe to grind with her), like Simon and possibly Lindsey(?!?), it should be easy to point the blame...
Aria
Oh and you can't cast spells with astral perception unless the target is also astrally active!
Imladir
Oh? Why not? If you target someone, you can see their aura after all.
Gilga
So Dana is going to bring Blank and problem solved I guess - a task worthy of a warrior.
Gilga
@Aria - Note that spells require 'line of sight' rather than actual eye sight. It is very much possible to throw
a ball of lighting blindfolded - aiming is a bit trickier tough.

Though Caillin has no offense spells so this summarize all our offensive spell arsenal.

And while astrally percepting - Caillin is dual nature critter - this means that she can cast spells in the physical or astral world.

When she is projecting - she is a pure astral form and thus cannot cast spells on the physical world.
Imladir
Oh speaking about spells: Cailin could use Phantasm or Invisibility if it becomes too hot for comfort (risking drain should it be necessary), but she will under no circumstances use her Influence spell. She learnt the spell for pranks and jokes, not for anything serious (for now at least, later, who knows...).
Gilga
If we get to that Dana would feel just as good to fight to the death with anyone in that camp. If someone attacks her she kills him - she is not like Blank if she strike she strike to kill. This is how I intemperate the Shark mentor. She might do it differently if Caillin is there - as long as she is in control so I hope we do not get to actual fighting.

Though I am not sure that Sapient creatures can attack Caillin (unless she is aggressive toward them), due to glamour. After all the description say that they always treat her with kindness and a bit of awe.
Mercy
Just a quick note. I think Gilga's definition of "line-of-sight" is incorrect. Someone's line of sight can be blocked by a tree branch, so I think that a blindfold, or other means to blind someone, would definitely block line of sight. Just my opinion.
Gilga
I think it prevents targeting spells at specific targets - can't identify the target in any method tough luck, but want to blow anyone 6 meters radius of you (including yourself ) no sight necessary.
Beta
I may be wrong about this, but I thought, and put in my IC, that a comm link doesn't given you an image link. If you have a DNI you could play a simsense recordings, but this was a pure camera recording. I think you would need cyber eyes (or less likely but possible a stand alone image link implant).

If I'm wrong let me know - - I will revise yesterday's IC post, because Addie obviously have a different stance if she knew more details.
irn0rchid
My understanding is DNI gives you access to AR. AR let's you play videos in your vision, no cybereyes required. It plays it directly to your visual cortex essentially.

Augmented reality isn’t just visual information, either.
You can hear audio AROs if you have earbuds or a
cyberear. AROs can be tactile if you have a haptic device
like AR gloves. Engineers are still working on putting
physical scent into AR displays, and we’d rather not
talk about AR flavors. On the other hand, if you use AR
with a direct neural interface like trodes or an implant,
you can use all of your senses to view AR without any
extra devices.
irn0rchid
RaiderJ: I assume you're going to the small camp where Dana is?
Beta
Welcome back, raiderJ!
Gilga
Welcome back RaiderJ - note that since you've been gone we've passed a few days (2 I think) and that the spell should have ended long ago - so lets attribute the fact that it did not to some freakish mana storm in the upper atmosphere or something - making magic unpredictable?

Also like irn0rchid suggested there are two camps now, one with 40-50 kids and one with five.
Mercy
The one with five has all the nicest people in it, though.
irn0rchid
I assumed he'd be going back to Dana to get the spell reversed. wink.gif
Digital Heroin
As much as I as a player wince at the idea of inter-tribal warfare on Blank's account... it suits his needs fine. He wants time to range down river alone, which he will have now.

Also... first of the assassination solos for Blank. Fun times, that. I have a few more of those in mind, and some flavor pieces running about in my head.
irn0rchid
Gonna let either Addie or Scrap start the tribunal meeting so they can shed some light on the ambush.
Raiderj
Would a Toxic Spirit be a good reason for him to have been waylayed?
Gilga
The problem is that the spirit that sustained the spell should have left at sundown and you return after two days instead so no idea how to explain it - we can fluff it out either way.

By the way - what camp are you going back into ?
Raiderj
QUOTE (Gilga @ Jul 24 2016, 09:06 AM) *
The problem is that the spirit that sustained the spell should have left at sundown and you return after two days instead so no idea how to explain it - we can fluff it out either way.

By the way - what camp are you going back into ?

There are 2 camps?
Gilga
Yes, we are waiting for you to decide on one so that we know who should answer your IC.
Gilga
QUOTE (Gilga @ Jul 23 2016, 06:58 PM) *
Welcome back RaiderJ - note that since you've been gone we've passed a few days (2 I think) and that the spell should have ended long ago - so lets attribute the fact that it did not to some freakish mana storm in the upper atmosphere or something - making magic unpredictable?

Also like irn0rchid suggested there are two camps now, one with 40-50 kids and one with five.

irn0rchid
Dana, Maya, Cailin, and Raf are in the small camp with a couple NPCs. Lindsey and Addie are in big camp with Rick and most of the NPCs. Blank is off on his own.
Gilga
I am thinking that Dana's spirit has turned toxic due to background count and has decided not to go back to where it came from, instead it decided to torture Vincent, it will probably charge the group once the spell is lifted. If Caillin is around she can use counter spelling to undo the spell - otherwise I'll just buy a point of counter spelling with karma. (or say that she did.).
Raiderj
Maybe the Dragonslayer could manifest something in Vincent's aura to help? He was a Spiritual Way adept after all. He has a close bond to him.
Gilga
Sure go for it - I wanted to keep the spirit in the astral to make it interesting, perhaps negotiate with it (?)
just punching it seemed less interesting, so go for it as long as it is a good read.
Imladir
I'm back smile.gif

QUOTE (Gilga @ Jul 30 2016, 10:17 PM) *
If Caillin is around she can use counter spelling to undo the spell - otherwise I'll just buy a point of counter spelling with karma. (or say that she did.).

Cailin wouldn't leave alone, so if Dana is here, so is Cailin.
The situation seems resolved though so I suppose I don't need to dispell anything.
Gilga
Well your user name is the same as the character - but yes I meant you wink.gif
Welcome back!
Mercy
First Aid for Vincent: First Aid: 9d6t5 3 Not so good, so use an Edge for misses: Edge for misses: 6d6t5 2 5 hits total
Imladir
I supposed Dana would let Cailin cast the spell, so here it is:
Heal spell: 10d6t5 3

QUOTE (Gilga @ Jul 31 2016, 05:28 AM) *
Well your user name is the same as the character - but yes I meant you wink.gif

I thought it would be easier that way, and since I had to create a new account anyway...
It's easier than seeing a Vincent in game for me anyway, given that it's my real name nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012