Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Run! Recruitment
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
Beta
Thanks In0rchid. Problem is that SR doesn't have an 'orate' skill, since it is not usually what the game is about.

For what it is worth, her entire 'influence' skill group has the same score, so it could be called etiquette, maybe? But it seemed to me that Leadership is closest to what Addie is trying to do here, even if it isn't a case that the rules cover well.

At that, a few combat turns should at least be enough to get kids moving towards the bush to take a leak, and not immediately challenging her possesion of the medicine. Even if they start thinking on their own after that, hopefully things are moving in a good direction.
Aria
@Beta: seed away!
Beta
4) (my day to be talkative, apparently). I made two small tweaks to Addie’s character sheet on OP.
- Fixed an error (her mental limit should be 6, not 5),
- and made a tweak I’d intended to do as I was entering her but forgot (and hasn’t come up yet). Changed Artisan 2 to Artisan 1 (cooking specialization). Artisan always makes more sense with a specialization, and while baby-sitting may involve a certain amount of arts-and-crafts, cooking is the part that is apt to draw more focus.

ETA: also added an image. Might find a better one later, but beats nothing. (Also, mental note: doing a Google image search for "judo girl" very quickly descends into 'rule 34' territory. Next time use a better search term!)
adamu
QUOTE (Aria @ Jun 15 2016, 04:47 PM) *
Reading his IC I wasn't sure myself how much he intends to nab, assume he took the knives and the claw hammer, apart from the ones Maya found subsequently, it's not a big tool crate, there are nails and some bits and pieces...escalating at this point might not be wise!

@Aria - thanks for the detailed info, that makes things very clear for me.

Actually, though, based on that information and half dozen practical and character-driven decisions, Rafferty will feel that immediate escalation (well, hopefully not, but certainly persistence) is imperative.

However, you seem to be hinting that you'd rather he not - if that's the case, then I don't want to derail the game, so I won't.
Beta
I can break off the last part of Addie's post (coming back to camp), and re-post that part once Rafferty and Blank have sorted out that spot of bother. Mercy might need to edit a post too, to make the timeline run smoothly.

I'll hold off posting anything else until we've sorted out what is happening here.
Gilga
Made some edits to Dana's sheet -
Magic A seemed a bit too much for a teenage, so I reduced her to magic 3 and made her a good looking but shy elven athlete, that seems harmless at first sight, but is training her entire life as a warrior.

Aria
QUOTE (adamu @ Jun 15 2016, 08:44 PM) *
@Aria - thanks for the detailed info, that makes things very clear for me.

Actually, though, based on that information and half dozen practical and character-driven decisions, Rafferty will feel that immediate escalation (well, hopefully not, but certainly persistence) is imperative.

However, you seem to be hinting that you'd rather he not - if that's the case, then I don't want to derail the game, so I won't.

Not at all... Do as you feel your character would always, even if it gets you broken biggrin.gif
Raiderj
QUOTE (Aria @ Jun 15 2016, 09:41 PM) *
Not at all... Do as you feel your character would always, even if it gets you broken biggrin.gif

You gonna respond to Vincent?
Aria
QUOTE (Raiderj @ Jun 15 2016, 09:59 PM) *

Hope to get more IC up tomorrow...but I think I did didn't I?!?

Edit: ah sorry, re-read your IC, will try to respond tomorrow!
adamu
QUOTE (Betx @ Jun 15 2016, 10:20 PM) *
I can break off the last part of Addie's post (coming back to camp), and re-post that part once Rafferty and Blank have sorted out that spot of bother. Mercy might need to edit a post too, to make the timeline run smoothly.

I'll hold off posting anything else until we've sorted out what is happening here.

Holy frijoles that is considerate!

But no no no, no one needs to be editing anything.

Don't think anyone's actions have impacted the Rafferty/Blank conversation anyway.

Doubtless there will be many parallel interactions taking place, with such a large number of PCs.

Hey Aria, do we have a very rough idea of how many people are here?
I am getting the sense of dozens, even vicinity of a hundred?
Or is that too big?
adamu
QUOTE (Aria @ Jun 15 2016, 10:41 PM) *

Broken character I don't mind (easy to be brave when you're a piece of paper!).

Breaking character bothers me a lot though!
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (adamu @ Jun 15 2016, 11:54 PM) *
Holy frijoles that is considerate!

But no no no, no one needs to be editing anything.

Don't think anyone's actions have impacted the Rafferty/Blank conversation anyway.

Doubtless there will be many parallel interactions taking place, with such a large number of PCs.

Hey Aria, do we have a very rough idea of how many people are here?
I am getting the sense of dozens, even vicinity of a hundred?
Or is that too big?

Aye, it seems like time is a bit fluid at this point. We're a bit out of step, and should be able to resolve without too much hold-out.
adamu
QUOTE (Raiderj @ Jun 15 2016, 10:59 PM) *

Raider, I'm sorry - is that to me?

If so, had no idea your character had addressed mine.
Looking at your last IC post, I can't tell who Vincent is talking to...

Let me know either way!

EDIT - oops, sorry, reading back more carefully looks like Vincent's talking to Aria.
Just ignore me!
irn0rchid
Note that Maya got a saw and knife, so there are two people with blades from the tool crate.
Beta
Hmmm, I think we should assume that Addie returning to camp is after this (boys were bringing tools to camp while she was out looking further). So yes, will hold off saying more until this is settled, then she can figure out what is going on. (She would have probably tried to help sort things out otherwise, so it is possibly good that she isn't there ....)
irn0rchid
I think Lindsey's timeline is still before the appearance of the great snake killer and I need to wait to see how much Aria wants to reveal about the area from spirit eyes.

Was your intention for the 3 orcs in your narration to be the group from Lindsey's? Doesn't matter to me, just want to make sure we're all on the same page.
Beta
Yes, that was intent, but if they would not be there by then, I can edit.
irn0rchid
No worries, that's fine.
Aria
@Gilga: the magic sense power is a little vague when re-reading it...it says it acts as the spell (at Magicx10m range) but clearly you shouldn't have to learn spell casting as an adept. I suspect it's intended to be a straight perception test, just that you can detect what otherwise you couldn't...

@Adam: answer to your question re numbers coming up in the IC
Mercy
Hello. I would like to put something out. First, thanks to Aria for this concept and the opportunity to play here. Second, although I do enjoy using colors as I think they help with the texts, there are some colors that just do not show up well against the gray background. They look nice when you are creating the post, but are very hard to see once you hit the post button. The purple, dark green, and dark blue seem to be the worst. May I ask that people do a preview of their post to check how the colors look and try to stay away from the ones the show up poorly? Thank you.
Beta
Aria, Last night I was thinking about my wall of text about the snake, and in hindsight was wondering if I should have stopped earlier, if maybe the snake would actually have dissipated into smoke, had combat surprises, or whatever if I’d given you space to respond.

So I’m just checking in that it is fine for us to run fully amok in describing how things work out, and if there is any time checks that you want us to stop at. (i.e. “Write what you want for the end of the day, but don’t go past sundown for now” or something like that.) I just feel a bit worried, because while I’m pretty comfortable talking about a runner in Seattle working contacts and picking up gear, or even describing a routine penetration of a security system … this one is different. So far none of us have keyed in on some of the points in the opening post, about the sun/sky, the lack of animal sounds, etc. I just have this feeling that things that we as players would assume from experience would hold true in such an environment may or may not be the case here. (although part of me wonders how much of what is there is shaped by the characters’ beliefs and expectations, so that maybe some of that opening may change? But that is out-of-game player speculation, not anything Addie would be thinking about just yet).
Raiderj
I'll give it to the end of the day then I declare the right to do something silly.
Raiderj
QUOTE (Raiderj @ Jun 16 2016, 03:29 PM) *
I'll give it to the end of the day then I declare the right to do something silly.

And here I was looking forward to pretending Aria was a figment of Vincent's imagination.
Aria
I second Mercy’s comments about colours! Cyan for speech (if you must) works well, light colours are much better than dark! Personally I’m just as happy to read the text uncoloured but I don’t want to hinder creativity biggrin.gif

Regarding posting on, this is a story based game, and it as much your story as it is mine so any input you lot make is good in my book! I will incorporate it into the overarching metaplot! I see no reason why you shouldn’t post ahead up to six hours or so, perhaps less when the actions ramp up but we can take a view when that happens. For this day I’m happy for you to all post to dawn at the very least. This includes writing your own responses for NPCs…they are deliberately not fully fleshed out yet so you have plenty of scope to reply for them without waiting for me to write their side of the conversation! Of course if you are discussing things with PCs please wait for the player to respond!

Established NPCs so far are Aria (pic up in the OP wiki under contacts then ‘others’ then Run!ers), and Rick (pic on the way). Gang tat orc I haven’t had time to conjure up a name or a pic for yet… nyahnyah.gif

Yes, there is weird stuff going on (apart from the fact that you all just appeared here with no memory of how), you can mention the two points I’ve given you already if you like…even add one or two more if you are feeling creative (see the theme?) smile.gif

Glad you all seem to be enjoying yourselves so far!

irn0rchid
Okay, I'll wait awhile for others to post then go through the night at the big camp. Left the groups open in case the troll girl fit there.
Aria
Oh, and Rick is leading by being exceptionally charismatic, not through force!
irn0rchid
I assumed that through the fact that you mentioned him as being smaller. I'm also assuming he has at least a minor command of English (since you didn't specify he was speaking orzet earlier), but has no desire to sound like an 'idiot orc' by speaking it poorly.
Gilga
QUOTE (Aria @ Jun 16 2016, 01:13 PM) *
@Gilga: the magic sense power is a little vague when re-reading it...it says it acts as the spell (at Magicx10m range) but clearly you shouldn't have to learn spell casting as an adept. I suspect it's intended to be a straight perception test, just that you can detect what otherwise you couldn't...

@Adam: answer to your question re numbers coming up in the IC

Well I am not entirely crystallized on Dana, but I got her main personality figured out, I left her generally not very perceptive as she lacks the experience and has no skill in these things - but if this effect her adept powers than I might reconsider. This game is somewhat trap for a guy like me as it allows for so much customization and I always desire to build my characters just right.
irn0rchid
@Raiderj/Aria: which fire are you at?
Beta
Quick summary of some key points from my IC post, in case they were not clear. This effects In0rchid’s latest post, and possibly future ones from Mercy.

- Mercy: Initially Addie does not go with Maya, or give her the medicine box. Later on she goes over there for a little while and ends up giving Maya the medicine (so Mercy doesn’t really need to change anything in her posts, and I’ll get her over there in time to make Aria’s post correct as well). Pretty clearly Addie isn’t attaching herself to Maya as a follower at this time, however.

- In0rchid: Addie did her bit of posturing in the main clump of people, not at Maya’s breakaway group. That may not have been entirely clear in my original post (I hadn’t thought about Maya’s camp, and Addie didn’t know about it, so I didn’t emphasize the distinction), but Mercy did describe going back to her camp after Maya had talked with Addie. This does affect In0rchid’s latest post. Sorry to ask for a change, but a- what you describe doesn’t really match the previous posts, and b- Addie is very definitely not planning on joining Maya’s group at this time, and I really don’t want her pushed over there. (no offense Mercy, Addie will probably join up with Maya in due course but for now she is working to other priorities).

I’ve got more IC coming, but thought I’d break things up instead of one giant wall of text (and also not to delay this first part too much).

And finally, she is using etiquette broadly in the group. Some people will be more easily charmed than others, and those who have already formed into groups will be the least susceptible, but I’m going to roll Addie’s side of it to give me an idea for how well she is doing at this.

Etiquette, for schmoozing the group: 11d6t5 6

With that roll I’ll write it as her being able to interact in a friendly way with most people, only really having issues with groups that are suspicious (and PC, of course!).
irn0rchid
Ah, makes sense. In my head everyone else was hanging at the treeline camp/in the trees. So, to sum up, Addie killed the snake, wandered around, ended up at the 'main' camp, made the speech, Maya came over from the 'tree' camp offering an invite to that camp, Addie declined the invite for now but left it open and gave the snake to Maya, Maya returned to the tree camp and does all the tree camp stuff in her post.

If anyone objects to that timeline, holler. smile.gif
Beta
QUOTE (irn0rchid @ Jun 16 2016, 09:17 PM) *
Ah, makes sense. In my head everyone else was hanging at the treeline camp/in the trees. So, to sum up, Addie killed the snake, wandered around, ended up at the 'main' camp, made the speech, Maya came over from the 'tree' camp offering an invite to that camp, Addie declined the invite for now but left it open and gave the snake to Maya, Maya returned to the tree camp and does all the tree camp stuff in her post.

If anyone objects to that timeline, holler. smile.gif

That lines up with how I see it -- nicely summarized, thanks!
irn0rchid
K, I edited the relevant bits and ended up in the same place. I'll edit the 2nd half as needed based on your followup posts since it wasn't written to take account another PC in the camp.

Edit: And obviously if anyone else ends up in the 'main' camp before dusk. smile.gif
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (irn0rchid @ Jun 16 2016, 09:48 PM) *
Edit: And obviously if anyone else ends up in the 'main' camp before dusk. smile.gif

No need to worry about Blank. He's going to be on the outside looking in for a while. Poor broken toy of a young man doesn't trust... ever.
Digital Heroin
Not the first to attack another PC. Check in the 'play nice' box. smile.gif
adamu
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Jun 16 2016, 11:53 PM) *
Not the first to attack another PC. Check in the 'play nice' box. smile.gif

Hopefully not the second either!!!

@Aria - your last IC had Raf with Maya, et al. But before that Raf had already followed Blank and was off somewhere chatting with him. Just an anti-PbP-fog note, since everyone keeping track of where everyone is seems to be a big issue.
Plus if we are a bit separate, then no need to be worrying about time sequence of our posts.

Hey, maybe on OP we could just list some locations "big group" "small group" "elsewhere" or something, and people could post their names under wherever they are, even making up new location categories as needed? Or too much extra paperwork? Just brainstorming.

Anyway, Aria, I recall that in the Recruitment process somewhere you said everyone here should/would be able to speak English. Is that still a thing, or have we moved past that? Just so I know whether I can assume NPCs I talk to speak English or not.

@IrnOrchid - thanks for pointing out about a third blade being with Maya. Not a problem, though. If I can miss it as I read the thread, Raf could have missed it there in the game!
irn0rchid
Hurm, to clarify, the physical interaction between Dana and Addie is going on after Addie made her speech but before Dana took Maya out to talk to the spirit?
Beta
That would be my understanding. Also before Addie goes over to Maya's camp with the first aid supplies (keeping Mercy's bit about her first aid work) -- I haven't written the IC from Addie's POV yet).

Gilga: by my understanding of background count (which I really don't claim is perfect) it won't take anything off your initiative (not a skill test), but if that 15 dice depends on any adept powers, then you would take a couple of dice off of it.

However as Addie is caught by surprise (surprise vs Dana, ) so is slow to react (Init: init vs Dana: 8+2d6 17 -10 =7, can't use defense dice until then).
AND manages to roll 0 hits on her attempt at a reversal reversal attempt vs Dana: 9d6t5 0, knocking off a die or two won't change a thing.

Addie hopefully salvages a bit of pride composure in the dirt: 11d6t5 4 by not getting all pissy about the attack.

Dana easily takes Addie to the ground. (I narrated it as two actions on Dana's part, since it wasn't a 'called shot: takedown' so I assumed a standard attack to get 'subdual' in place, and from there the take down would be easy enough). IC for this coming in a minute.

(People seem split about whether you take a penalty on dodge tests or not, but the Missions ruling is apparently strict reading of the 'skill test' terminology and dodge is not a skill test, so unless Aria rules otherwise you won't take a penalty on that.)
irn0rchid
Heh, okay, once this all gets resolved I'll just delete the 2nd half of my previous post and rework whatever is needed and repost it after all the action.
Gilga
@BetaX Dana did not use any of her adept powers, I'll edit my last post if I took it too far.

@Irnorchid
So if you'd like to interact I would postpone my last post.

Yes, Dana met Addie tackled her and then watched the happening in curiosity listening to speeches and to people 'surviving', until she felt compelled to express her disagreement with the concept. I am not sure we can continue with the chat with a spirit as I have no idea what Aria planned to that spirit if at all.

@Aria - if your availability would be insufficient for a dialog with the two spirits - Dana would like to ask them questions about how long were they in this location and if they know what happened there. She is willing to offer the spirit some compensation for their knowledge but would not know what to start. She'd also be interested about asking why the outdoors with a beautiful stream, (pine trees?) and so forth has such a high background count. Dana will try to be polite about it, she
Aria
QUOTE (Gilga @ Jun 17 2016, 05:42 AM) *
@Aria - if your availability would be insufficient for a dialog with the two spirits - Dana would like to ask them questions about how long were they in this location and if they know what happened there. She is willing to offer the spirit some compensation for their knowledge but would not know what to start. She'd also be interested about asking why the outdoors with a beautiful stream, (pine trees?) and so forth has such a high background count. Dana will try to be polite about it, she

One of the spirits is the one from Lindsey's shoulder...the free one that you saw legged it as soon as you approach, no chance to follow, they move at astral rates!

Lindsey doesn't get back much of a response to the request to look for stuff that 'seems out of place' ...apparently there isn't anything here that surprises the spirit!
Aria
In case it isn't obvious, the boy with the head injury was one of the would be rapists, first blood to Grok! Not sure how he's going to take that, or how the others will respond, it might not be pretty!

Oh, and before asking, heal spell isn't going to cut it and your medical supplies won't either...this is pure GM nastiness ork.gif

ANd from Raider's post just now, for those that do assense the lightening - it is powerful but perfectly ordinary...well, about as ordinary as if you'd ever assensed lightening storms before at least
irn0rchid
QUOTE (Gilga @ Jun 17 2016, 12:42 AM) *
@Irnorchid
So if you'd like to interact I would postpone my last post.

No, Lindsey is in the trees with the orks at that point, I was just making sure I understood.
Gilga
So when Dana follows the 'other' spirit she goes into the other camp? In that case she might have not sensed the other spirit.
or perhaps she meets Lindsey's spirit as the spirit searches for anything unusual.
irn0rchid
If you decide to talk to Lindsey's spirit, you'll need to figure out if it's when it's on her shoulder (in which case Lindsey will obviously be there too) or when it's heading up hill to perform its task.
Gilga
QUOTE (irn0rchid @ Jun 17 2016, 01:35 PM) *
If you decide to talk to Lindsey's spirit, you'll need to figure out if it's when it's on her shoulder (in which case Lindsey will obviously be there too) or when it's heading up hill to perform its task.

Let's put Lindsey there should make a more entertaining conversation.
irn0rchid
Okay, do you want to adjust the approach or just leave it as is (ignoring Lindsey and talking directly to the spirit on her shoulder)?
Gilga
Since Dana does not assense - I am pretty certain that she can sense the spirit but can not discover who it is summoned by - or even if it is a free spirit or summoned one. She just senses magic intuitively and notices that there is an astral form there - but without true astral sight she can do little else. I'd imagine her seeing the spirit as something that is not entirely there, and perceiving it reflexively without any active use of magic, or actively turning astral perception. Like mages do.

Given the limitations Dana would speak to the spirit - as Lindsey is just one of many and is not of particular interest to her senses.
irn0rchid
Huh, that's a weird power. If it's in astral and not manifested then can it even hear her or talk to her?
Beta
I don't know if the coincidence of Rick's name being so close to Addie's crush/Jujitsu teacher Eric was deliberate or not, but it was too good to pass up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012