Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NSRCG - PC Windows Character Generation Program
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
mcmackie
I'm starting this topic for bug reports, updates, and tips for the program NSRCG - a PC Windows based SR3 Character Generator. Ths is built on top of the original work of Paulo(Adam)'s SR2 CharGen.....

Update: Version 3.61 now posted. Rigger3 data courtesy of Karl Kendricks, bug fix for Otaku (frail physical attributes ->2 free mental points). Support for Magic Loss now enabled. German DAT files now posted.

Please post your bug reports here and not in the other forums.
thanks! smile.gif
TinkerGnome
I'm having a mysterious issue where it locks up on the skills page when I'm starting out (selected race and not much else, I'm investigating what's going on to see if I can figure out a pattern). Aside from that, when you select the adept power "Improved ability..." (either one) it gives you a popup window and asks for you to click on one skill. Only the list is blank and clicking Okay doesn't purchase the power.
mcmackie
I suspect your skills.DAT file is corrupt or in the wrong location. That's also why you cannot upgrade/select a skill for your adept ability. It has to exist first.

Hmm. Okay, backup your NSRCG main directory... then try a reinstall OR you could update the DAT files by hand.

good luck.
TinkerGnome
First, I hadn't had the software installed on this machine before so it was a clean, full install. Secondly, I removed the program and reinstalled it and still had the same results. Maybe something isn't placing the .DAT files right?
mcmackie
Current SKills.DAT file is about 28K... Send me a copy of your SKILLS.DAT file and I'll look it over. What version are you using?
TinkerGnome
I've mailed the .dat file to you. I did figure out what the "sticking" issue with the skills menu was, though. I was creating an Otaku and I hadn't entered the appropriate computer skill. It won't leave that screen till you do. The adept issue still seems to be hanging around, though.

mcmackie
Okay, you're DAT file is correct...

The problem is you NEED to select some skills on the skills page before you goto the Magic/Adept page. Without some skills to match to, the listbox will give you an empty selection list. (This matches your symptoms.) NOTE: THese have to be active skills, not knowledge or language skills.
TinkerGnome
Gah. That was, indeed, the problem. I usually do the checking for that on the back end when I do it by hand, and totally forgot about needing to do it on the front end for a computer program.
Johnny the Bull
McMackie, how do you plan on implementing complex forms, sprites and daemons?
I have some ideas but I'll need a rough idea of how the program is structured before I can see if they'll work or not.
Dashifen
BUG: I tried to print after upgrading from 3.60c to 3.61 and it gives me a "runtime error 76, path not found" message and closes. Any ideas?

NOTE: This problem was fixed when I installed from scratch. It must be a path issue when updating.

-- Dashifen --
mcmackie
QUOTE (Dashifen)
BUG: I tried to print after upgrading from 3.60c to 3.61 and it gives me a "runtime error 76, path not found" message and closes. Any ideas?

NOTE: This problem was fixed when I installed from scratch. It must be a path issue when updating.

-- Dashifen --

Did this mean you got it to work? If not, please email me...
mcmackie
QUOTE (Johnny the Bull)
McMackie, how do you plan on implementing complex forms, sprites and daemons?
I have some ideas but I'll need a rough idea of how the program is structured before I can see if they'll work or not.

Complex forms would be very easy to implement... I would have to enable Karma purchases but it would work like MageGear.... Somebody would have to type in the various complex forms... Possible.

Sprites: Because of all the possible variations, it would have to be a separate form with sliders... a lot more effort. (Note: This would be equivalent to Magical allies)... Is there really a demand for this?

Daemons: I can't find them... Can you cite me the reference?

FlakJacket
Slight bug with Otaku I think. Physical attribute max is set at five and mental at eight. It's meant to be seven for mental attributes IIRC unless you drop all your physical ones, but it's still letting you have both.

Not really sure if this is fixable since it's getting a little complex, may just have to have the GM doible check and rely on player honesty. smile.gif
Jetmaster
McMackie: I just emailed you an updated Skills.dat file for use in your next version, has all the specializations for Otaku's channels.

As for Daemons, IIRC they're essentially the otaku equivilent of agents (or smart frames.. cant recall which), being able to load forms.. of course I could be horribly wrong, as all my books are at my friends place where we game.
Tziluthi
Ah, just a couple of real small things: Firstly, the troll metavariants that don't recieve dermal armour, giants and the like, still seem to get the body bonus for it on the attribute screen. Secondly, and this is really nit-picking seeing as you could just correct this with the custom gear, there's no vibro-sword/knife batteries.

Also, did you ever consider allowing, somehow, for custom edges and flaws?
Fortune
QUOTE (Tziluthi)
Also, did you ever consider allowing, somehow, for custom edges and flaws?

Custom Edges and Flaws should be able to be entered via the accompanying Dat Editor program.
Stonecougar
So, I start to install the latest and greatest version, which I'm quite hopeful for, what with Rigger 3 vehicle upgrades and such... and setup tells me that certain system files are out of date. I tell it to install them and then restart about 4 times before getting fed up and deciding to trash it until I can get some help figuring out what's wrong. Ideas?
Grey
What OS are you running? It sounds like it may be problems with the VB6 runtime, you may want to download the latest runtime files from here.
mcmackie
QUOTE (Stonecougar)
So, I start to install the latest and greatest version, which I'm quite hopeful for, what with Rigger 3 vehicle upgrades and such... and setup tells me that certain system files are out of date. I tell it to install them and then restart about 4 times before getting fed up and deciding to trash it until I can get some help figuring out what's wrong. Ideas?

I bet you money right now it's WinXP. This is typically an administrator priviledge issue. As in "you don't have administrator priviledges" even though you know you do..
Sometimes logging into a domain will reset your admin priviledges... OR you could try:
Re-start your computer and while it is rebooting be pushing the F8 key
to get to the set-up screen. Boot in safe mode and choose administrater.
Install it while logged as the administrater and then re-boot to normal. It
should be all ready to go for you.

This worked for someone else... Let me know if it doesn't.
Jetmaster
McMackie: Did you get the updated Skills.dat file I sent you with the Otaku channel specializations?
Stonecougar
'Matter of fact, it is XP. I'll give that a try...
sir fwank
after finalizing clicking on any Spirit bought at character creation causes the program to crash.
mcmackie
QUOTE (sir fwank)
after finalizing clicking on any Spirit bought at character creation causes the program to crash.

Just tested with the current version. I was unable to duplicate. Please send me your SR3 file so I can determine what's going on... email: mcmackie@hotmail.com
Dark Scrier
Hrm. I have this one problem, but it's mostly my fault.

Sometimes, and only sometimes, if I click either the "next" or "previous" page too much too quickly, the program crashes. Just figured I'd mention it, even though it tends to just be me being too lazy to use the drop-down.
sir fwank
whoops, didn't see you just put up a new version like a week ago. it works now.
Fygg Nuuton
when i use becks to make a phys ad path of magician, and i buy magic power, if i change screens after i bujy spells, i cannot buy spells anymore, even if i buy spell points

edit: doesnt seem to work no matter what system i use
ToThePain
Couple of things: I was Using becks to create a character and saved part way through, when I came back to finish is I had a negative amount of money left...The exact amount that i had spent when I saved. Second, upon closing the program when it asks if you want to save hitting cancel is the same as hitting no, you don’t save and the program closes.
Dashifen
QUOTE (ToThePain)
Couple of things: I was Using becks to create a character and saved part way through, when I came back to finish is I had a negative amount of money left...The exact amount that i had spent when I saved. Second, upon closing the program when it asks if you want to save hitting cancel is the same as hitting no, you don’t save and the program closes.

I've encountered the money problem as well. If you go back to the generation screen, it fixes it.

-- dashifen --
sir fwank
i might be wrong about this rule but if your attribute is modified by cyber/bio/adept isn't the modified value used to calculate cost for skills?

not sure if that reads ok so i'll give an example

normal str 3
muscle replacement +2
aug str 5

so if i wanted to take edged weapons 5 i would only pay 5 skill points for because my attribute is modified to 5, i don't pay double cost for skill point #4 and #5, correct?

if that is right, then generator doesn't account for modified attributes in calculating skill costs.
sir fwank
ok it does say natural somewhere in there.

whoops #2 for me. it does work right. notworthy.gif
ToThePain
QUOTE (Dashifen)
QUOTE (ToThePain @ Sep 11 2003, 12:05 PM)

I've encountered the money problem as well. If you go back to the generation screen, it fixes it.

-- dashifen --

It takes the Karma required for that amount of money. Putting most characters at a negative amount of karma annoying if you have skills yet to by... on the topic of skills you can go into negative territory buying Knowledge skills with regular Karma it allows you to continue buying Knowledge skills indefinitely.
Grey
QUOTE (ToThePain)
It takes the Karma required for that amount of money. Putting most characters at a negative amount of karma annoying if you have skills yet to by... on the topic of skills you can go into negative territory buying Knowledge skills with regular Karma it allows you to continue buying Knowledge skills indefinitely.

I've ran into the problem with getting to buy infinite knowledge skills as well. I've tested this a few times and it always works (or doesn't work, depending on how you look at it).
Lich
Yamaha Pulsar doesn't appear under Tasers. Edited .dat file to add another version of it, still doesn't appear, so it's a problem with the program somehow.

After Finalizing, the option buttons to pick what type of magic user you are (Shamanist, Sorcerer, Conjurer, etc), are still available, even though Tradition/Totem is grayed out. If one of the other options is selected, you can't reselect your tradition/totem again.
mcmackie
QUOTE (Lich @ Sep 12 2003, 02:50 PM)
Yamaha Pulsar doesn't appear under Tasers. Edited .dat file to add another version of it, still doesn't appear, so it's a problem with the program somehow.

After Finalizing, the option buttons to pick what type of magic user you are (Shamanist, Sorcerer, Conjurer, etc), are still available, even though Tradition/Totem is grayed out. If one of the other options is selected, you can't reselect your tradition/totem again.

It won't appear if you don't have the book that it's part of ... selected. Is that the issue?

A million details... Okay,I'll set the chargen to DISABLE the adept option buttons after "finalizing". Can anybody come up with a better word (not words) for the "finalizing" process? smile.gif
tanks
Lich
QUOTE (mcmackie)
QUOTE (mcmackie)

QUOTE (Lich @ Sep 12 2003, 02:50 PM)

It won't appear if you don't have the book that it's part of ... selected. Is that the issue?

The book (cc) is selected, and the Yamaha Pulsar appears in the search window when using the Search (binoculars) function, in the correct book/page. I removed the CC book, then readded it, and it didn't appear in either case. I edited the .dat again to put it in a different book (sr3.19), and it still did not appear after saving and reloading the program. The search function shows it again, with the sr3 page. It has to be some sort of problem with the display of the Taser menu.
mcmackie
Please ship the DAT file so I can look at it. Also I need to know the version you're using right now. Click on Options button and read at the bottom of that form.
email me at: mcmackie@hotmail.com
Thanks!
mcmackie
QUOTE (mcmackie @ Sep 13 2003, 04:45 PM)
Please ship the DAT file so I can look at it. Also I need to know the version you're using right now.  Click on Options button and read at the bottom of that form. 
email me at: mcmackie@hotmail.com
Thanks!

Nevermind... Had empty lines embeded in the DAT file... Fixed. Wait for the update (later today). smile.gif

Firstly, the troll metavariants that don't recieve dermal armour, giants and the like, still seem to get the body bonus for it on the attribute screen. Secondly, and this is really nit-picking seeing as you could just correct this with the custom gear, there's no vibro-sword/knife batteries.
Fixed. Enter the batteries using the DATeditor .

when i use becks to make a phys ad path of magician, and i buy magic power, if i change screens after i bujy spells, i cannot buy spells anymore, even if i buy spell points
Fixed.

Using becks to create a character and saved part way through, when I came back to finish is I had a negative amount of money left...The exact amount that i had spent when I saved. Second, upon closing the program when it asks if you want to save hitting cancel is the same as hitting no, you don’t save and the program closes.
Fixed. Cancel issue works with current version (3.61).

on the topic of skills you can go into negative territory buying Knowledge skills with regular Karma it allows you to continue buying Knowledge skills indefinitely.
Fixed.

Fixed.

Okay, working to upload new version now... biggrin.gif
Posted now... (actually yesterday) smile.gif
sir fwank
mcmackie,

your datedit program doesn't read the cyberware.dat file correctly. it stops at headware -> chipjack
or it gives "runtime error 9 subscript out of range"

this time i'm using the newest version, i promise.
mcmackie
sir fwank,
Okay, it was another empty line embeded in the DAT file... I've uploaded the corrected ones in all of my files. DatFiles, UpdatedExe, and NSRCG.zip...
It should work correctly now.
mcmackie wink.gif
Dashifen
@ mcmackie

notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif
Johnny the Bull
Just a quick bug report - when you add a headware cyberdeck then remove it, it is not removed from the cyberdeck form. I'm not sure if this also occurs from gear that is added across forms (such as vehicle weapons) or if it is isolated.

I'm using v3.61 (late August 2003)
Grey
One thing that I've always had trouble with, version after version, is that I can't ever buy maneuvers for Martial Arts. I've always just assumed it wouldn't work right and done that part by hand. Is it supposed to work, or did you just put them in there as a list so we would know what we'd have to pick from?

One other thing that I thought would be great to add is a window on the skills page for Notes. We could edit the dat with information about the skill, page numbers for where the skill uses are located, advantages and disadvantages for Martial Arts, etc. How hard would it be to add something like this?
Fygg Nuuton
quick question... how do i add a cybergun to my weapons list? on the gear page it says "must add in ware" and i did, yet nothing, hmmm
mcmackie
QUOTE (Grey)
One thing that I've always had trouble with, version after version, is that I can't ever buy maneuvers for Martial Arts. I've always just assumed it wouldn't work right and done that part by hand. Is it supposed to work, or did you just put them in there as a list so we would know what we'd have to pick from?

One other thing that I thought would be great to add is a window on the skills page for Notes. We could edit the dat with information about the skill, page numbers for where the skill uses are located, advantages and disadvantages for Martial Arts, etc. How hard would it be to add something like this?

As for manuevers, you have to have 2 points in a martial art skill before you can get one manuever. As far as I know, it works (or I would have caught h*ll about by now).
Notes in skills, hmm. I already give you the book.page. There are two parts:
One: It would break the current format.
Two: there is a fine line between a game aid (NSRCG) and something that replaces the 3rd ED SR3 rulebook. I don't want to cross it. I have no idea if this would be a violation "come on mcmackie, what's one more?" smile.gif
Is there really that big a demand?
mcmackie
QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton)
quick question... how do i add a cybergun to my weapons list? on the gear page it says "must add in ware" and i did, yet nothing, hmmm

Let's see... Hmmm. Okay, since it's cyberware, wouldn't you add it using the Augments (Cyberware) page? If you do that, it'll automatically add on the Gear page.
Reasons: I need it on the gear page so that when it's printed out, its stats are printed on the weapon page automatically. Why didn't I put on the gear page? Cause it's cyber smile.gif
Fygg Nuuton
i was unclear, i get it implanted on the cyberwar epage, but it never shows up on the gear page.
Grey
QUOTE (mcmackie)
As for manuevers, you have to have 2 points in a martial art skill before you can get one manuever. As far as I know, it works (or I would have caught h*ll about by now).

I've never been able to get it to work. After I buy points in the skill and try to buy a maneuver I get a message "Not enough Karma/Points" or something like that. But I always have enough karma/points left over to spend.
sir fwank
mcmackie, choosing "full magician" on the BECKS generation screen does not enable the "spells" tab on the Magic screen.
sir fwank
yah know, its really cool when i post then figure out how it works...
sorry nyahnyah.gif
Fygg Nuuton
cyberguns only show up on weapons lists if you

A) buy it as basic ware
B) buy it from "cyber weapons" the ones under cyberlimb mods doesnt work frown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012