Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: SR4-First Run
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Slacker
Last character sheet you gave me doesn't show you has having the Thermographic vision adept power, only Low-light.

Movement is a non-action. Since you will have 2 Initiative passes you can walk 5m this Initiative Pass or run 12.5m.

Since you have ambidexterity you don't suffer any penalties when firing two weapons, but any time you fire two weapons at once, you have to split your dice pool before applying modifiers. (i.e. before modifiers you have a dice pool of 11 (6 from your skill w/ specialization + 5 from your agility) you can split that to 5 dice for one gun and 6 dice for the other or however you wish, and then you apply modifiers to each seperately).
HMHVV Hunter
Oh yeah, you're right. Alright, I'll switch on Low-Light, for all the good it'll do.

I'm running towards Spike, trying to close the distance (should put me in square O-23 or so). Not firing at all this action.
Shalimar
Its really not worth it to fire 2 guns at once unless your skill is insanely high since for each shot, the target gets to dodge and resist individually, but your skill is roughly halved for each one.

roll to resist damage from the shelves
[ Spoiler ]

3 hits
Slacker
Ok, you resisted the stun damage from the shelves.

As far as the whole 2 gun thing goes, don't forget that if for each time somebody defends in a given round he suffers a -1 modifier for his next defense roll. So you could split your pool to 1 die for the first shot and the rest on the second and the target would be at a -1 from having tried to dodge the first shot. And because it is a Simple Action to fire two guns simultaneaously, you could do the same for the second Simple Action and the target would be at a -2 for the first shot of the second action and -3 for the second shot.

Also, combining two weapons with Aimed Shot could get you a positive modifier that is applied to both guns.

Yes, I know those are both somewhat complicated, but they could be used to make firing two weapons useful. I'd have to agree though, two weapon firing is pretty craptacular in SR4. I guess that is why ambidexterity is only a 5 point Quality.

Damn, i've been lax in posting IC. The Initiative Pass is half over and I have barely posted anything IC. Guess I need to catch up on that now.
netlich
So what's the deal with the lights...?Can you give us a heads up with darkness rules...?Obviously I got Thermo as a troll and I am praying to Ghost the spirit hasn't but you said we still get a -3?

I got plenty of time to mull over this but I am giving serious thought to spurring with the beast...But it seems to me I didn't add up the proper cyberware to the Troll the way I originally envisaged him so with a Strength of 7 that would give him a damage of 6P right? And less dice to roll even with the -3 to attack and -2 to damage...Damn...Things are getting tough for our Vindicator wink.gif

Food for thought when you get time mr GM...Would diving matrix like allow me to escape the area of the foodstuff and also give me a nice bead of two fletchette rolls to Zany's back if I can reach diagonically that far? What would the modifiers to the shot be then? At least I might take someone down if possible before mr Mean Spirit starts rending me apart...
Shalimar
I didn't think you could aim with more then 1 gun actually. The other thing to keep in mind is recoil. If you fire 2 guns, then fire 2 guns again, on the second set, you have an additional -1 penalty to each for recoil, before any other modifiers. I think your just better off firing 1 gun and putting all your skill into getting enough successes that its really hard to shake off. Ie, I could probably overwhelm someones ability to get successes with my 17 dice, but if I hold 6 or so back to remove their armor, its much more difficult to shake them off, and I still have a respectable number to throw at the success test.
Slacker
To answer netlich: Currently the store is completely dark. Those with Thermographic Vision or Ultrasound will only suffer a -3, but everybody else suffers -6. You'll just have to wait and see if the Spirit has Thermo or Ultrasound. smile.gif
You are right about the damage on your spurs being 6P with your Strength of 7. They also give +1 Reach.
As far as your matrix-escque dive goes, you had best hope the Spirit can't see you because he gets a free attack on you if you try to leave melee with him and if he injures you, you will be stopped.
Also, being in the dark on difficult ground, I'd probably make you roll an Agility Test, since you don't have any Athletics type skill, not to slip and fall flat on your face.
Other than that sure you could try that, though with 3 Initiative passes, you can only walk 5m per pass and she would be just out of that range. You could still do it but she would have good cover from you because she is crouched down behind the countertop. Or you could run to avoid the cover and risk slipping and suffering the modifier associate with movement over difficult ground. (so walking modifier would be something like -8 and for running would be something like -7).

To answer Shalimar: There is nothing at all in the SR4 rules that says you can't Aim with two guns, neither where it talks about Aim, nor where it talks about firing two weapons. It just says that you can't use Laser sights or smartlink with two guns.
About the recoil thing, I forgot that there is no RC accessory for regular pistols in SR4 currently, but all it would take is 1 point of RC on each gun to negate all the recoil. Also, sometimes its better to eliminate a targets dice than worry about how many dice you are rolling.
For the most part though, you are correct that firing a single weapon will probably do better than firing two weapons at once.

General Update: I believe I got the IC thread up to date. Right now I just need to get the rolls for Rydell's defense against SlicerDicer and Rydell's action for this pass and then I'll post up what all the NPC's are doing for the rest of the First Initiative pass.
Shalimar
Umm, now that Wiley is dead, is the spirit uncontrolled?
Slacker
Nope, spirits only becomes uncontrolled if the summoner is knocked unconscious by drain during the Binding Test; or rolls a critical glitch on that test.

Being unconscious/dieing Wiley can't using any other services the Spirit might have, but the Spirit continues to attempt to fulfill the service he is already doing.
Wintermancer
Defense Roll against Slicer Dicer:
[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
QUOTE (Wintermancer)
Defense Roll against Slicer Dicer:
[ Spoiler ]

This is a melee attack so you would actually be rolling you Reaction + your Dodge skill, which I am showing should be 6 dice, so roll 1 more die.

Currently, he has 3 net successes giving his attack 8P damage. If you roll a success on that other die it will only be 7P.

Whatever the case, roll Body + Impact Armor to resist the damage.
Wintermancer
Add one more hit to the previous total.

Winter
Wintermancer
And my actions this pass will be to squeeze off a shot from my Hammerli at SlicerDicer, and a second shot if the first doesn't kill him. If it does (which I doubt) I intend to change targets.

Soak Roll:
[ Spoiler ]

First Shot:
[ Spoiler ]

Second Shot:
[ Spoiler ]

Winter
Slacker
Ok, you only took 2 boxes of physical damage then.

You were actually suffering another -3 modifier on each of those shots because SlicerDicer had engaged you in melee combat. Also, by the time your turn came around the entire place went dark so you were suffering a -6 because of that.

Together those would reduce your dice pool to 0, so the only way you could even attempt a shot would be to use Edge to roll, using only Edge. Since you only have 1 Edge, I don't see you doing that however.

Since its dark and he doesn't have thermographic vision, I'll let you withdraw from the fight without him being able to attack you. And then you could try firing again, but you would still be suffering the -6 for complete darkness.

Oh and by the way, the Hammerli has 1 point of recoil compensation so you don't suffer any recoil for that second shot.
Wintermancer
I thought elves had low light vision...?
Slacker
They do, but as I have mentioned to other players, this is complete darkness, all of the lights are out and the storm outside means that no light is coming in from there.

Low-light doesn't give you any advantage in complete darkness.
Shalimar
bump
Slacker
To keep the story flowing, I'm just having Rydell delay her actions until I hear from Wintermancer.

I've gone ahead and posted the actions for the rest of the NPCs IC, excluding a few that nobody can see.

For those without thermographic vision, to be able to know where NPCs have moved to, you'll have to make a perception test (simple action), running and the like obviously make it easier to notice.

If any of you who want to move silently, you'll need to use a Complex Action and make an Infiltration Skill test (or just default to Agility at a -1).

@Shalimar: Zany's burst was only 2 bullets because she glitched and had a jam. She did still get 1 success, but thanks to you having turned on your Thermographic vision you can still defend yourself. You're still at a -3 from the darkness and a -2 from the two shots in the burst.

@gobogen: Like you, Static is suffering a penalty for having a weapon in hand while trying to fight close combat (more so with it being a shotgun), but since you can't see thermo, you can't defend. Even unable to see, he got 2 successes, which brings the DV up to 8P.
There is no Armor Penetration on spurs, so just roll your Body + Impact Armor to resist the damage.
gobogen
Ok, we'll see if Taku survives this.

[ Spoiler ]

I wish someone turns the lights back on real soon.
Slacker
Sorry gobogen, but the Rule of Six does not apply on rerolling failed attempts.

So you took 5 boxes of physical damage.

As far as getting the lights back on, you could always send Zelda either a text or voice message using your commlink. Being a Shadowrunner team you would all likely have permission enough for that with each others commlinks, even in hidden mode.

She's hacked into the Stuffer Shack's host. I would imagine that she has something along those lines in mind, but as a team communication is always good.
gobogen
I believe I have taken only 2 boxes. I have used 1 point of edge to reroll failed rolls. That's permitted according to the description of edge that you have posted earlier. There is only one success related to the rule of six.

What kind of action is communicating through the commlink?
Slacker
Same as just talking, its a Free Action.

Sorry about the damage thing gobogen, you're right. For some reason I just read it as you having gotten 3 success, not 3 successes initially and then 3 more on the reroll.

So you only took 2 boxes as you said.
Slacker
@gobogen:
[ Spoiler ]
Shalimar
Slacker let me know If I got this wrong

6 (Reaction) - 5(3 lighting, -2 wideburst) = 1 Die

[ Spoiler ]

1 hit
Slacker
Shalimar: Forgot to mention you're still suffering the -2 from the glop on your face. So actually you were suffering too much of a penalty to roll, unless you wanted to use your last point of Edge. In which case you would roll your four Edge dice only.

Oh and collateral damage is yet more debree splashing onto your face, the bullets demolished a small display of laudry detergent that was set up next to the clothes you are standing by.

I would suggest that you take advantage already being on the clothes aisle and use your next pass to clean some of that stuff off. I'll go ahead and say that you could clean some of it off with a Simple Action (reduce the penalty to -1) or you could clean most of it off with a Simple Action (get rid of the penalty all together, but your own clothes are still quite messy).
Shalimar
Yea, I will use the edge I guess, needing 1 hit on 4 dice is better then needing 7 or 8 on 10 dice.

[ Spoiler ]

2 hits
Slacker
Tempty easily avoided the attack then.
netlich
Okeys new initiative giving me 12 (+3 successes)
[ Spoiler ]

I won't be available for the next three days so unless I get my turn laters tonight I will post in advance so you can move forward and catch up on Friday - Unfortunately as I am leaving my job I will be unavailble most of the next two weeks - after that I will pick up speed but untill then I should be able to post only two or three days per week.

Slacker
@netlich: Sorry to hear you won't be available much in the near futture, but that is ok. Life happens. Thanks for the heads up about.
We are still a ways from needing new initiative rolls since several players still have two more Initiative Passes in this Combat Turn. So there wasn't a need for that roll. But I'll keep it in mind for when we do need to roll Initiative again.

Right now, I've paused the game until we hear from Wintermancer about what Rydell is doing. Can't delay her actions any further without her losing actions for the next initiative pass.
But you not being able to post much for a while may be a blessing in disguise, considering what the Spirit was about to do to you. Go ahead and give my a Willpower Roll. You can add Edge to this if you want, and you probably should. The Spirit will be using Fear on you as soon as we start the second initiative pass. And it rolled well. So unless you do equal well with your far fewer dice, you will be running from it like a scared little girl.
netlich
With an EDGE of 1 and a Willpower of 1 I can't do much - I would rather keep it to reroll failures... Unless there _is_ a point to rolling two dice or a Willpower test involves rolling willpower plus something else...

Damn - I hate it when they do that - so I guess it can see in the darkness eh?

Okeys - One Willpower coming up(literally) if things are the way I understand them:

[ Spoiler ]

1 success!!!! No suprises there..>So unless I can get more than two dice I don't think there is any reason for me to use EDGE to reroll one die...Guess I will be running and slipping on that difficult ground now...while making funny noises! (Dunno what's scariest: The Big Spirit using its FEAR ability or a Troll bumping about in darkness while screaming like a girl!!!Especially when dressed in a ridiculus outfit...)

Care to give us a rundown on FEAR rules once everything goes down so we now how that works? Cheers.
Slacker
When you use Edge you roll your full Edge attribute, not just what you have remaining. It's just that you can only use it a number of times equal to the attribute rating. So if you did use Edge you would roll 3 dice (1 for Will + 2 Edge) and 6's would explode.

While under the influence of the critter power Fear, you will race in panic for the nearest point of apparent safety, and will not stop until you are out of sight and a safe distance away. The fear will last a number of Combat Turns (notice that is Combat Turns and not Initiative Passes) equal to the creature's net successes. Even after that point, you must succeed a Willpower + Charisma (Threshold equal to the critter's net hits) Test to return or face the critter again.

Since you only got 1 success and the creature got 4 successes, that means you will be running for at least 3 Combat Turns. With how deadly combat has become in the dark, that could very well be the majority of the remaining encounter.
netlich
So you reckon it might be better to roll my other two dice and hope for an exploding six? To at least minimise the time I spend running? I will leave that up to you - if you want to allow it then roll another two dice and lets hope DarHar stays a while smile.gif Otherwise lets leave it as is and see where he gets to- prolly he will ran towards the north right ? which will get him to the last safe place he was (chaning clothes) and quickly away from combat.... I am fine with either solution...no probs. I have already got a good glimpse of how SR4 feels like and up to now I like it...

And another q: With a current total of 0 Edge is there anything else I need to know about rules? Besides the fact that until EDGE replenishes I can't use it...obviously smile.gif
Shalimar
Umm, can the spirit use its powers at this point? I thought that the summoner had to tell it to do so, and use up another service, and Wiley can't exactly do that. From what you said earlier, it will carry out its last assigned service if the summoner dies, the last assigned service was materialize and attack, right? It can attack everyone that Wiley outlined as its targets when he said attack, but can it (would it) use its powers on its own initiative since in effect it is performing free services after its already been set free?

Just trying to understand, Spirits were never exactly my thing.
Slacker
Good question Shalimar. It is actually still all part of the same service.

The one service that Wiley had asked of the Spirit was to attack Darhar, or maybe it was to protect Zany (can't remember and I am too lazy to look back at it right now), and is still the only thing the spirit is trying to do.

QUOTE (pg. 177 SR4)
The use of combative powers or abilities by a spirit on behalf of its summoner only counts as one service, regardless of the number of foes involved.

The spirit is simply shifting to the use of a combative power after its combative skills proved ineffective initially.
Slacker
netlich: if you don't think you will be able to post much for a while, its fine to leave it as is, but I've been having fun with your character in the game (though it may be even more fun having him running circles through the store screaming his head off for a while).

How about this, since you said you wouldn't be available for most of the next two weeks, we'll leave it as is for now. If not much in-game time has elapsed before you can start posting regularly again, I'll let you retroactively roll your Edge dice to try and get him out of the Fear sooner. And if DarHar is almost out of it by that point anyways, you could save that Edge for something else.

As far as having no more uses of Edge until it replinishes goes, the only bad effect is that you can't roll Edge anymore. Nothing else happens. Don't forget that a critical success (4 more successes than you needed on a single roll) on a roll could replinish 1 point of Edge for you also.
netlich
Well I will be able to post Mondays and Fridays but apart from that I don't know...Now with the pace we are going now - I can prolly catch up especially since DarHar aint part of the team and he aint that Bright to do major combat-turning moves... Then again if posting picks up a bit and initiative phases come and go faster then I prolly will hold you up- so the ball's back on your court...Obviously I would like to continue fighting about but if posting picks up and you finish up combat phases in two days thwen I will be kinda slow with checking emails only two or three days per week....
Wintermancer
Ok, sorry for falling off the face of the earth. I'm back. Had a little confusion there for a couple days, but it's smoothed over now. Ok, lessee....

Are the lights back on yet, and/or has something happened to pull Rydell out of close combat with SlicerDicer? The answer to these two questions will determine what I do with my delayed actions. To not delay things any longer though, I'll go ahead and post both options here:

If either there is light now, enough for me to see anyway, or something has pulled SlicerDicer out of close combat with me, then I'm going to take the same two shot action I posted originally.

If neither of these circumstances are in play, then I am going to attempt to beak free of melee combat with SlicerDicer. If I have any actions remaining, I'll take a shot at him. If not, I guess that's the end of my action.

Winter
Slacker
No problem about the delay, Wintermancer. RL life happens.

Lights are currently still off. Nothing has pulled Rydell out of close combat yet, but in the dark it would be pretty easy to walk away. Let's call it an Agility Test using only a free action. As long as you get 1 success you leave combat without him attacking you. If you fail, he gets an attack, but he can't see in the dark either, so he could easily miss.
Then you can take your two Simple Actions (-6 for the darkness, and either -1 for walking on the difficult ground or -2 for running on difficult ground). I believe that leaves you with only 1 die for each shot if you are walking and put you in 0-19 on the grid of the map.
I'll let you roll those since I don't you'd like what I just rolled for them (a miss and a critical glitch).
Wintermancer
Success on the Agility test, 2 misses on the two shots. But at least I didn't glitch. smile.gif

Winter
Slacker
Ok, Rydell made it safely away from SlicerDicer.

Top of the second Initiative Pass: the spirit uses Fear against DarHar who is already turning to dash into the stockroom.

Now Tempty is up.

gobogen, you can also go ahead and give me Taku's actions.
Shalimar
Tempty will take a complex action to clean herself up with the clothing around her, she'll also move to N14, is that within her range?
gobogen
Taku's basically just dodging. He loses a complex action due to earlier full defense. He'll walk away if he can easily do so without being attacked (do trolls have thermo?) and as a free action he will tell Zelda to get any kind of lighting back on as soon as possible through his comm link.
Slacker
Shalimar: If you run you could easily make it, but you would also be making quite a bit of noise. Even walking you'll make noise with all that debris around, just not as much.
Walking you would only make it to M-14.

gobogen:
[ Spoiler ]

netlich: I'll go ahead and say you rolled the Edge on that Willpower test, and I rolled it for you. Amazingly, you got 3 successes total, giving the spirit only 1 net success. So you will be running for 1 full combat turn, and after that you will just need 1 success on a Willpower + Charisma check to snap out of it.
For now, DarHar is running in a panic from the spirit and it gets a free attack on you. You need to roll Agility + Close Combat Group +/- modifiers.
You've got Reach so you can either add one die to your dice pool or subtract it from his dice pool.
You're suffering only a -3 from the darkness because of thermographic vision.
If you don't get the chance to post rolls tonight, I'll probably go ahead and roll for you sometime tomorrow so we don't hold up the game.
Shalimar
I'll walk, unless I wont be able to get to p14 (the end of the aisle) with my next set of movement.

Out of curiosity, since it would probably be a normal function, can I pull up the store's map and overlay it on my Thermo? Or simply pop up a window that shows my location in the store, as well as that of my running buddies since we are all going to be in contact by our commlinks anyway? ie, pull up the Map, leaving out the dots that are enemies and NPCs?
netlich
Okey dokey - rolls on the way

Fleeing: Agility (3)+CCG (4) -3 modifier = 4 dice and the spirit gets a -1 plus any vision penalties too I guess (Do I really get the reach bonus or does my fleeing negate this?)
[ Spoiler ]

3 successes

Willpower+Charisma : 2 dice
[ Spoiler ]

no successes - does this mean I cannot go back attacking the spirit or generally cannot go back? And when do I roll again if ever?

Finally what happens now with Edge ? How does it replenish? end of Adventure? end of combat scene? Get bonuses back to it like Karma awards?
Slacker
@Shalimar: If you continue to walk you will make it to p-14 next Initiative pass, but you won't be able to get any further.
To bring up the map from the Stuffer Shack's host, you would have to be in Active mode on your commlink or edit your preferences to allow Stuffer Shack to connect to you. Either way it will take a Free Action.

@netlich: Even though you are running away, it's still a standard close combat roll, so your reach still applies. Thanks to the fact that you applied the -1 penalty to him, you tied him and took no damage.
As to the Willpower + Charisma Test, I must not have been clear, you only get that after the duration of the Fear effect (1 Combat Turn in this case). So you wouldn't have had the chance to roll just yet. In fact you won't get the chance until the 2nd Initiative Pass of the next Combat Round. From then on though, you can make the roll during each of your Initiative Passes.
A failure on that test means that you can return or face the critter again.

@Whizbang: Looks like it's Zelda's turn now.

I'll type something up IC for the actions so far when I get the chance.
Shalimar
I am pretty sure I did already allow the connection with the stuffer shack before any fighting started. I'm not running in hidden mode, only passive, once I ok something, it should be able to connect, since the store map is probably how I found my way to the stuff I wanted in the first place. Right now, I figure we are all connected via commlink (we are runner teammates). Since its a free action either way, it shouldn't matter.
Slacker
@Shalimar: Ok, you have an overlay of the map in your field of vision.

@gobogen: I still need to know where you were planning to move to. Walking you could get roughly 3 squares away, Running you could get approximately 8 squares away.
gobogen
Taku will try to walk 3 spaces to S10 or almost S10. And I don't know why I always think static is a troll, sorry.

Taku's facing west-south-west.
[ Spoiler ]
Whizbang
Looking around for who or what's been messing with the system, and looking to bring the lights back up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012