Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: SR4-First Run
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Slacker
Oopss, yeah, I wasn't paying enough attention (that's what happens when I am flipping back and forth between dumpshock and my work), didn't even see you saying you wanted to do a called shot to bypass her armor. Her ballistic armor is rating 6, so that is another -6 to your dice pool.
Shalimar
So roughly 9 dice to hit the target, depending on how high her dodge/reaction is it might get dicey. should be interesting to see how it works.
Wintermancer
Hrm. If they're that far away, and I'm that close the cash register, I'm probably going to change my action... Lemme think on it a bit.

Winter
Wintermancer
QUOTE (Shalimar @ Sep 14 2005, 08:54 AM)
[ Spoiler ]

Tempty is going to pull her pistol and put a hole in the ganger girl.  I don't recall what type of an action it is to throw up her wired reflexes, I heard someone say it was possible to do regardless of who's turn it is, not sure, and I don't have my pdf with me at the moment.  If it can't go up before her turn, she'll activate it on her turn.

It'll give her 3 initiative passes I believe.  She will target the girl to bypass any armor (-x to dice pool where x is armor level).

7 (agility) + 8 (pistols + Spec) +2 (SmartLink) - (targets armor)
Would that be right?  I think the dice above 1.5x Skill are allowed to offset penalties, but I'm not sure.

That's a little ambiguous in the book if you don't read basically the whole thing. You can take Free Actions on anybody's action, but only after you've gone once in the Combat Turn. Kind of like how in D&D you're considered flat footed until you take your first turn. After your first Action Phase, you can take free actions on any following phase, including before your Action Phase on another Initiative Pass.

For example, I can go Full Defense at any time... as long as I've already had my first Action Phase of the Combat Turn.

Winter

P.S. -- I'm debating whether or not to try to convince everybody that I'm a disgruntled former employee with a bomb strapped to my chest who intends to blow the Stuffer Shack to bits and take everybody with me... and give the gangers all time to get the hell out. smile.gif Or just to shoot the bad guy closest to me. Oh, decisions decisions. Subtle, or overt. Subtle, or overt.
Slacker
That's a little ambiguous in the book if you don't read basically the whole thing. You can take Free Actions on anybody's action, but only after you've gone once in the Combat Turn. Kind of like how in D&D you're considered flat footed until you take your first turn. After your first Action Phase, you can take free actions on any following phase, including before your Action Phase on another Initiative Pass.

For example, I can go Full Defense at any time... as long as I've already had my first Action Phase of the Combat Turn.

Actually, that isn't it exactly.

First off, you can actually go on Full Defense at any time, even before your character's Action Phase, as long as you aren't surprised. It isn't considered a Free Action to do so, you just sacrifice your next Complex Action to go on Full Defense.

Ok, now to explain the Free Action thing in more detail. You get one Free Action per Initiative Pass. You cannot use that Free Action until your Action Phase in the first Initiative Pass. If you do not use it during your Action Phase, you can use it at any time during the remainder of the Initiative Pass (if you have a second Initiative Pass, you can use it up until the beginning of your Action Phase in the second Initiative Pass).

Example:
[ Spoiler ]
HMHVV Hunter
QUOTE (Slacker)

Now it is time to roll Initiative. Roll your Initiative attribute (Reaction + Intuition). Then add the number of successes to your Initiative score. (i.e. If you have a reaction 4 and intuition 3, you roll 7 dice, getting 2 successes which you add to your Initiative to get an initiative score of 9.)

Ok, what's the fixed target number in SR4 for a roll to qualify as a success?

I apologize for the basic rules being needed clarified; I'm going to try to get SR4 this friday, so hopefully I won't need to do this anymore.
Slacker
Fixed TN is 5.

I have no problem clarifying any rule, be it basic or complex. This whole game is supposed to help both you as players and me as the GM learn the game.

edit: By the way: I've created a map of the Stuffer Shack with everybody's position shown on a grid. I'm at work so I can't upload it anywhere right now, but I will post a link once I have gotten home and uploaded it somewhere.
HMHVV Hunter
Ok, if that's the case, then what effect does the Rule of Six have now? Do you get an extra success if your result is 10 or something like that, or what?
Nikoli
on a 6 when the Rule of sixis invoked through spending edge, you reroll sixes as though they were an additional die
Shalimar
All things in game have a target number of 5. Every 5 or 6 you get is 1 success. Tests are resolved by adding up your number of successes. The rule of 6 only comes into play when you spend an edge point to make it come into play, allowing you to reroll and 6s in order to pick up additional successes.

From what I can tell the most likely use of edge though, will be negating critical glitches and glitches.
Slacker
Thanks for the assist Nikoli.

To clarrify: You no longer automatically re-roll 6's. If you choose to use Edge on the roll, depending on how you use Edge, it may make 6's Explode (meaning you re-roll 6's and count them as additional dice).

Exact uses of Edge:
[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
Heres is a map of the Stuffer Shack.

Red circles indicate confirmed gang members.
Orange circles indicate other NPCs of unknown alignment.
Blue circles indicate your team members.

The grid is based on a 1.5m scale. I know that is an odd unit of measurement, but that is just the what it ended up being.
Wintermancer
Are there security cameras paying attention to us in here?

Winter
Slacker
A quick glance at the two cameras behind the cash register shows that they are unmoving. Nor do they have any light designating that they are active. Now wether or not that is their normal state you aren't sure and the gang leader, Catcher, just shot up the monitors. So you can't look at them to see what the cameras are doing.
Wintermancer
Ok, one other question and then I'll make a final decision about what Rydell is doing. I see that I am standing in an aisle (thanks for the map, by the way, it's extremely helpful. How high are the shelves. IE, are they taller than me, like a grocery store, or does my head or upper torso peek out over them like CD Wherehouse?

Winter
Slacker
They are a bit over your head. Earlier, you could see the top of the troll's head over the top of them though.

As soon as I get the initiative roll for Crosshairs' from HMHVV Hunter, I'll be posting the initiative order. And we can get the combat rolling.
Wintermancer
Ok, good. In that case, I think Rydell is going to do the following:

Hunch down just a bit to make sure she's underneath the shelves, which should help keep her relatively unseen from people on the other sides. It appears from the map that the only person who could potentially see her right now is the thug at the register, and his attention is on the cashier right now, so...

I'm going to hunker down here in the aisle, keep him in my sights, attempt a Quick-Draw of my firearm as quietly as possible. If I succeed at the Quick-Draw, I'll Take Aim with both Simple Actions (for a +2). If I fail at the Quick-Draw, I will take aim with my unused Simple Action (+1).

Winter
Slacker
You can't Quick Draw to aim. Quick Draw is a Simple Action that consists of you whipping a pistol out and firing off a quick shot.

So if you don't want to fire a shot, you would need to Draw the pistol with a Simple Action, and then you can use your second Simple Action to Aim.
Wintermancer
Ok, I'll go with the latter then.

Winter
HMHVV Hunter
Ok, Initiative of 8 (augmented with an adept power):

1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 6, 6, 6

So Initiative of 11, but can you glitch on initiative rolls at all?
Shalimar
if you glitch, you automatically go after everyone with the same initiative score. Optionally the game master can apply a -1 to your first dice roll of the combat. Critical glitch would have meant you automatically go last of everyone, and lose an action from one of your extra initiative passes (if any).
gobogen
Ok, I didn't do my initiative exactly right, I have an extra die from Improved Reflexes and the TN is 5. My additional roll is a 4 so I end up with an initiative of 14.

BTW, map helps a lot, thanks.
Slacker
Good timing on that post gobogen: I was just about to post initiative order.
People with the same initiative go simultaneously, except when they roll a glitch.
Crosshairs' first action will have a -1 dice pool modifier because of the glitch.

Taku = 14
Maddie = 14

Zelda = 13
DarHar = 13

Wiley = 12
Spike = 12
SlicerDicer =12
Bruce = 12

Zany = 11
Tempty = 11 (You don't get the Reaction boost until you turn on the Reflexes, so i re-rolled for you. As soon as you turn on the reflexes you will be bumped up to the 14 you rolled)
Rydell = 11
Catcher = 11

Crosshairs = 11 (glitched)

Mrs. Needles = 10
Johnny = 10

Mr. Nick = 9
Jack = 9

Timmy = 8
Spike = 8
Angie = 8

Wand = 8 (glitched)

Static = 7

Damn there are alot of people in this place for 4am. But whatever.

Maddie (the 10 year old girl playing Hyrulean Triforce) is not any of the players line-of-sight. So none of you see what she is doing.

Taku is up now. what is he doing?
Wintermancer
Hey, I've gone into Super Wal-Mart at 3'ish in the morning and watched in awe as they had to open a second register because the line at the one late night register suddenly got rushed by like 12 people. And that doesn't count the handful of other people (plus all the employees) actually in the store still browsing or working. This is PERFECTLY realistic! wink.gif

Winter
Slacker
LOL. And just how large would you say a Super Wal-Mart is in comparison to this Stuffer Shack?
Wintermancer
.....Overpopulation in the future ensures that even gas station size stores can have light night crowds equivalent to the Super Wal-Marts of the early 21st century.

See? I got my bases covered. wink.gif

Winter
Slacker
That one really did make me Laugh Out Loud. rotfl.gif
gobogen
Taku is walking silently toward the aisle to his right (W12) and forward into it, he wants to understand what exactly is going to happen now. He has his right hand directly on his pistol which is still in the holster, ready to fire if needed (free action I believe). The movement part should be an action. He'll use stealth to hide and try not to look as suspecious as he might.
[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
Neither movement nor putting your hand on your pistol still in the holster are considered actions, not even Free Actions.

The roll isn't correct because of the new mechanic. In SR4, virtually every roll consists of the skill + the associated attribute. In this case, you want to roll the Infiltration skill (part of the Stealth Skill Group) + plus the associated attribute (Agility).

The test is opposed by anybody trying to perceive you. Currently that is just Static (the crazy guy) and possibly Crosshairs (who can go ahead and roll a Perception test if he wants to).

Static is not a very perceptive person, but he was already watching you so he will see you walk past the aisle, but he probably won't be able to follow the sound of your footsteps around the corner (he only got 1 success on his roll).
Shalimar
So he is moving, and readying an action to quickdraw (Quickdraw action includes firing).
Slacker
QUOTE (Shalimar @ Sep 15 2005, 01:43 PM)
So he is moving, and readying an action to quickdraw (Quickdraw action includes firing).

That's how I was seeing it. Oh and dalaying your action doesn't take any type of action....

Ok, that sounded a bit confusing. How about this "Delaying does not take an action." That sounds better.

If you wish to take your delayed actions you have declare you are intervening during the Declare Actions part of the Action Phase (i.e. You can only use delayed actions before the next player/npc declares their actions. So you can't interrupt somebody's actions like in D&D).
gobogen
Sounds about right. In between two characters' actions, I can use my delayed action. That works for me. And by the way, I'd rather have noone here me walk... Those that can and those that can't see me.
Slacker
Since Taku isn't involved in any combat, I guess its ok to move on while waiting for gobogen to post new rolls.

Looks like Zelda is up. Whizbang, you said Zelda was going to ready here pistol, take a look on the network, and see if any cameras were active and if an alarm had gone off.

First readying your pistol will take a Simple Action. To be able to check the cameras and alarm, you would have to Hack the Stuffer Shack's node, takes a Complex Action, and then run your Analyze program with a Simple Action (If it's not already loaded it takes a Complex Action to load, before you can run it).

edit: Oh and do you plan on switching to VR for the extra Initiative passess, or just continue using AR?
Slacker
QUOTE (gobogen @ Sep 15 2005, 02:09 PM)
Sounds about right. In between two characters' actions, I can use my delayed action. That works for me. And by the way, I'd rather have noone here me walk... Those that can and those that can't see me.

Sure, that is what you would like, but that is all up to the dice.

edit: The comment about Crosshairs was to see if HMHVV wanted to even bother rolling perception.
Wintermancer
QUOTE (Slacker)
QUOTE (gobogen @ Sep 15 2005, 02:09 PM)

Sure, that is what you would like, but that is all up to the dice.

edit: The comment about Crosshairs was to see if HMHVV wanted to even bother rolling perception.

Fate's a fickle bitch, omae. Hope you treated her right last night. wink.gif

Winter
Wintermancer
MENTAL NOTE: First ability to raise with karma... Perception. Defaulting on Perception = The Sux.
Slacker
QUOTE (Wintermancer)
MENTAL NOTE: First ability to raise with karma... Perception. Defaulting on Perception = The Sux.

If it's any consolation, I forgot about Perception when I was converting these gangers from SR3, so currently none of them have the Perception skill.

I may change that for a couple of them though. nyahnyah.gif
Nikoli
Just a lurker note: Check out the ProfessionalCorp Security guards, noPerception there either.
Wintermancer
Neither do the Ganger grunts in the SR4 BBB.

Winter
Slacker
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Just a lurker note: Check out the ProfessionalCorp Security guards, noPerception there either.

Whoa, I hadn't even noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out, Nikoli.

That is just stupid, but I guess i won't be adding perception to anybody after all.
Shalimar
QUOTE (Slacker)
QUOTE (Nikoli @ Sep 15 2005, 02:32 PM)

Whoa, I hadn't even noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out, Nikoli.

That is just stupid, but I guess i won't be adding perception to anybody after all.

Houserule it so that perception is just a bonus to the test, and not a penalty for defaulting maybe?
Whizbang
Yep. hacking their node, Analyze is up and running, going in hot. smile.gif

rolls...
[ Spoiler ]
gobogen
sorry for the rolls..
[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
IC post is up. And now it looks like it's time for several of the gangers. I'll post their actions as soon as I figure out just what I want them to do.
HMHVV Hunter
Ok, I have increased reflexes 1 (adept power) and I remember seeing something about a "free initiative pass." When does that take effect and what does it mean?
Shalimar
Players start with 1 initiative pass, if a player gets additional passes, through Cyber/Magic/etc, then they get another turn, after everyone has been run through once.

for example, Tempty (my character) has wired reflexes 2. As long as the Wired Reflexes are active when we roll initiative, she will get a total of 3 initiative passes. Your character has 2 passes, and the goo has only 1, here is how it goes:

Pass 1(Main Pass)
Tempty 12
Goon 11
HMVVHunter 11

Pass 2
Tempty
HMVVHunter

Pass 3
Tempty
Slacker
IC post up. Now its time for Tempty's and Rydell's actions. The most recent post probably will have an affect on your actions, so post what you want to do.

I'll going to be changing the map to reflect everybody's new positions shortly.
Wintermancer
LMAO. Oh my god, I have never seen a scenario this... BIZARRE...

Winter
Wintermancer
Ok, wow, I think that Rydell is going to try to throw SlicerDicer off a bit instead of throwing down. She's got a pretty good feeling that this can be handled without a fight, so, I think she's just going to, answer, "Actually, I'm ambivalent." Then hold up her box of Lucky's and say, "Care for a smoke?"

Winter
Slacker
QUOTE (Wintermancer)
LMAO. Oh my god, I have never seen a scenario this... BIZARRE...

Glad you like it.

Oh and everybody say hello to netlich, aka DarHar.

Ok, wow, I think that Rydell is going to try to throw SlicerDicer off a bit instead of throwing down. She's got a pretty good feeling that this can be handled without a fight, so, I think she's just going to, answer, "Actually, I'm ambivalent." Then hold up her box of Lucky's and say, "Care for a smoke?"

Hmm....interesting tactic.
So let's call this an attempt at Con (part of the Influence Skill group you have). Roll your Influence Skill group + your Charisma.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012