Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: SR4-First Run
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
gobogen
I think I will change the clip anyways for safety. Indeed, my results are bad on offense, but my defensive rolls are pretty good.
Slacker
Ok, I seriously need to start keeping up my IC posting with the OOC postings. That is one very long post I just made IC.

Anyway, as I said earlier, I am waiting on netlich being able to post something tomorrow. I need rolls for DarHar's defense against the spirit's latest attack and the Willpower + Charisma Test to see if DarHar is able to come out of the Fear.

HMHVV Hunter: You can also go ahead and post actions for Crosshairs.
netlich
Ok sorry to keep you all up gang. It is gonna be another week like this and I expect at the very worst case scenario to be back in full action next Monday...So please feel free to roll for me no matter the glitches...I don't want to spoil other people's fun.

Now...Let's take it from the top: Defending against his 4 successes:
I got 7 dice and I take it I am at -3 for light and prolly -1 from wounds? If it is more just subtract from the end...
[ Spoiler ]

Damn now it comes with a good roll! I hate them dice rollers!!!! SO I got 4 successes out of four dice does that give me any extra fancy stuff?? Give him a nice whack on the head while defending? wink.gif

Ok as for the Willpower again I am happy to go with your roll Slacker. I am including a new one so that you can use it next phase.
[ Spoiler ]

Doh! failed again...
Slacker
@All: Dammit, what the hell happened?.....I just realized that somewhere in the middle of the game I started telling you guys to roll the wrong thing for defense. We're supposed to be using Reaction.
I started out telling everybody that, but somewhere in the middle of the game I just up and started saying roll Agility. My deepest apologies on that.
It hasn't really mattered since the lights went out because only a couple people can see to be able to defend, but still, and most of you have about the same for Agility and Reaction. I am pretty sure, DarHar has not taken any injury because his Reaction is higher than his Agility, even before turning on his Improved Reflexes.

EDIT: Well thanks to BaronKen, one of the lurkers, taking the time to look at where I started making the Agility/Reaction mistake, I discovered it was only DarHar I was screwing over with that. Guess I just subconciously didn't like how easily he was defending against the spirit. embarrassed.gif

@netlich: Because of my mistake with the defense thing, you should never have gotten that injury and you would have moved away from the spirit. I'm not going to move you the full distance you could have run then, because I don't feel like changing what happened to the elf, Timmy.
I'll edit the IC post sometime today to reflect the correction.
Now, about your defense...Because you should be rolling Reaction instead of Agility to defend you would actually have 4 more dice to roll. You can roll them or I'll just assume you got at least 1 success and were able to defend effectively.
However, you did fail the test to come out of the Fear so you are running yet again and the spirit attacks you once more. For this defense you will be suffering a -1 because you already defended against one attack this Pass, but that probably won't be a problem for you. Especially since the spirit only got 2 successes.
As to waiting for you, it's no big deal to wait over the weekend because many people don't check the forums during that time and whenever possible, I prefer to have the players roll for themselves.
edit: If you succeed in your defense, which I expect you will, you will be running past Mr. Nick who also gets a free attack on you. Amazingly he scored 2 hits on you. So you need to give me a defense roll for that too, and you would now be suffering a total of -2 from having defended against two previous attacks this pass.
HMHVV Hunter
Slacker, I need someone else to take control of my character. Reality is starting to suck for me, and I can't spare much energy to the game.
netlich
Okey dokey...so what is this? Smack the Troll Pinniada (sp?) with the ludicrus MAUVE (not pink mind you!) cape?

LOL! Ok so I got 11 dice for defense against the spirit (Close Combat 4 and Reaction 7 after Wired Reflexes) and I get a -4 for light and second attack insame round? Cool :Here's 7 dice:

[ Spoiler ]

3 successes

As for Mr Stumpy is it again a close combat attack or is he shotting at me? If it is the former I now have six dice:

[ Spoiler ]

Another lucky 3 and am running as I am having visions of swinging mr Nick as a makeshift club against the Spirit!!! grrrr I better get one success next phase...Luckily the lights are off so my superhero icon has not been completely marred smile.gif
Slacker
@HMHVV Hunter: Sorry to hear that. I hope you at least enjoyed the game so far and were able to learn from it. If circumstances change and you notice us still playing the game, feel free to come back at any time.

@All: With HMHVV Hunter having to stop playing due to RL issues, does anybody want to take over handling Crosshairs or should I just NPC him? I'll go ahead and NPC his this pass, but if any of you want to control him

@netlich: For the intercept attack by the spirit I was just going to have you roll the additional dice rather than rerolling completely since you had done so well on the initial roll. So I'm just adding the first 3 dice of this roll to your original 4 dice roll. Which means you avoided his attack. I've already edited the IC post to reflect this.
As to the manager's attack on you, it was a Close Combat Attack and you easily avoided it. I'll update the map shortly.

Seriously injured and facing two gangers alone, Crosshairs decides that discretion is the better part of valor. He attempts to withdrawal and regroup with the rest of the team. Without the Infiltration skill, he only has 4 dice to roll, but he is able to get 3 successes. So he is moving away quite silently.

@Wintermancer: Time for Rydell's turn.
Slacker
Ok, BaronKen has generously offered to take over control of Crosshairs since HMHVV Hunter is unable to continue to play.

He's been lurking in the thread, so he knows what's going on and can pick it up immediated.

Please welcome him to the group.
BaronKen
Ok, the only thing I want to add to Crosshairs inventory is a flashlight. biggrin.gif

J/k, I'll play him as is, thanks again.

@HMHVV Hunter: If at some point you can come back, please do and I'll relinquish your character back to you.
Wintermancer
I'll move to X-15. Again, I'm useless until the lights come back on, so I'll hold my action.
Slacker
Walking, you will only make it to S-15. If you want to run, making a lot of noice, you could make it to X-15 though.

Looks like Catcher is the only NPC left with an action this pass. He fires a shot, missing his target. He then orders Spike to take care of the "other guy".

Now back up to the top for the third Initiative Pass. First up is Tempty.
Shalimar
Tempty will step up to P11, and lean around the corner, leading with her gun arm. she'll fire 2 off at Zany who should be about as exposed as tempty is. What are the modifiers?
Slacker
@Shalimar: About half her body is behind cover so she has good cover (a -4 modifier), you are firing from cover ( a -1 modifier), still suffering the visibility modifier (-3 because you have thermo vision), and you've got smartlink (a +2 modifier). So that is a total of -6 dice for the first shot and -7 for the second shot because of recoil.
Shalimar
Roll 1, 9 Dice
[ Spoiler ]

4 successes

roll 2, 8 Dice
[ Spoiler ]

4 successes
Slacker
@Shalimar: Looks like you've killed another ganger. Zany use her last point of Edge to survive the fist shot, but just barely. Then the second shot killed her with ease.

@Whizbang: Maddie doesn't actually attack you this Pass. She reaches beneath her cloack and does something for a moment, but that is it.
Now it is Zelda's turn.

I'll go ahead and handle DarHar's turn. He has finally rolled 1 success on the Will + Cha test. So he is out of the Fear.
Saying something like "Fear not little man. I is here. DarHar shall protect Innocence!"
He then fires off two shots at the spirit. The first shot bounced off its armor and it used a point of Edge resist the damage of the second shot, so it only took 1 box from it.

@All: Time for the everybody to roll Initiative again.
Whizbang
Gonna wonder what she's doing, but not let up on the offensive...

[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
@Whizbang: She tied you on her defense so she avoided the attack. As far as what she could be doing, you don't have a clue. It could be anything really, you just don't know what she could possibly have setup her icon to represent with that gesture, especially since you've already noticed that she has some rather unorthodox iconography for her programs.
Shalimar
Was either of those 4 success attacks a critical success? If she wasn't able to defend then I would think so due to the difficulty of the shots, ie Dark, target behind cover, etc.

Initiative
6 5 3 3 1 6 3 5 1 3
4 hits
14 Initiative
Slacker
@Shalimar: You're absolutely correct, they would both have been critical successes. In which case, the first shot would have actually felled her, though you wouldn't have been able to tell that in the dark.
They were not enough of a critical success to refresh a point of Edge however. That is reserved for the truely rare critical success of rolling 7 successes out of 8 dice or the like. While rolling 4 successes out of 8 or 9 dice is good, it is not on that scale.
BaronKen
Initiative
[ Spoiler ]
Shalimar
Umm, the only thing for a critical success edge regaining is that they need 4 successes, and it can't be an easy task. It doesn't say anything about needing X out of Y dice, because that actually penalizes people with more skill. Its much easier to roll 4 successes out of 5 then 7 out of 9. I'd think that targetting someone behind good cover, using thermo in pitchblack would count as not easy. I'm just wondering if I don't have the wrong version of the pdf, I know that 2 were put out, I think I have the latest, not sure if it was changed though.
Slacker
QUOTE (SR4 pg50)
If the gamemasterchooses, he can also reward a critical success with a point of Edge (see Edge, p. 67), though this should only be done when a critical success was unlikely (it shouldn’t be used to reward highly-proficient characters undertaking an easy task).

You still having 8 or 9 dice to roll is only because you are highly-proficient at what you are doing. You are correct that it does not give a specific number of hits versus dice, instead it is left up to the GM to determine when it is worthy of the point of Edge. The example of a critical success immediate following that text does give an example of somebody getting 7 successes out of 8 dice on a test with a threshold of 3 dice.
Sorry, but I just don't feel that getting hits with only half your dice after modifiers are taken in would refresh a point of Edge. Sure its better then average, but not all that much. Also, the fact that Zany couldn't defend at all made it alot more likely that you would get 4 net hits.
gobogen
I don't have access to my computer nor do I have a lot of internet time right now. Please go ahead and roll Taku's initiative for me. I'll be back in activity in two days.
Wintermancer
Behold, my amazing Init score for the next pass!

9. smile.gif

Winter
netlich
Damn! correct me if I am wrong but I have been rolling less in Initiative too...I got 9 initiative (5 reaction , 4 intution) but ever since I turned on my Wired Reflexes I am at reaction 7 so that makes initiative 11 right? Anyway - if I am wrong just subtract thelast two dice (making no differnece for this turn smile.gif )

[ Spoiler ]

6 successes for a nice little 17 init! Let me see the ba$tard spirit beat that!

When my phase is up I shoot the creature twice (is it worth aimming in the darkness to alley some of the modifiers?) while screaming at mr Nick..."No shoot me - shoot da t'ing!!"

2 Attacks with pistols (8 pistols, agility 3, smartlink 2, -3 light conditions)

[ Spoiler ]

So unless I am badly mistaken (or we go for the aim and then shoot move) we got two successfull attacks with 6 and 3 successes each...Right?

:EDIT: Oh and on the subject of critical successes restoring Edge - any chance I can get a point or two back for my full critical last phase? Or is it more proper to say that since we rolled 3 more dice afterwards getting 5 out 7 it doesn't apply?

I have to say leaving my char with an Edge score of two was a pretty stupid mistake as was the low agility... That's what happens when you don't have the book in hand to compare results... smile.gif Good thing he can withstand pain though so at least he can trot his stuff and cape around for awhile even though he is not being of great help to the team yet...
Slacker
@netlich: As to your most excellent roll to defend yourself last time the spirit attacked. That was in no way a critical success, because you just tied the spirit. A critical success only happens when you roll 4 more successes than you needed. Since the spirit had rolled 5 successes, you would have had to roll 9 successes to qualify for a critical success.
If you hadn't been rolling the 2 dice for the Reaction boost from your Wired Reflexes, then yes you have rolling wrong. Sorry, I wasn't really paying that close attention to what dice everybody rolled for Initiative.
What's interesting is that I was all ready to roll your Initiative for you and I rolled the same Initiative of 17 for you. smile.gif
Oh and as you will see below, the spirit failed to beat you, but he did tie you. Somebody else in the store beat you though.

@All: Initiative for the Combat Turn:

Bruce = 18

Spirit = 17
DarHar = 17

SlicerDicer = 15

Tempty = 14
Maddie = 14

Taku = 12
Zelda = 12

Catcher = 11
Crosshairs = 11

Spike = 9
Rydell = 9

Wanda = 8
Johnny = 8
Jack = 8
Angie = 8

Louis = 6

Mr. Nick = 5

Mrs. Needles = 4

Now I need to figure out what Bruce is doing.....Ok, he seems to just vanish. DarHar (and Tempty earlier) had been having difficulties seeing his heat signature, but now it just isn't there anymore.

@netlich:As DarHar moves to fire on the spirit, it at the same time takes a moment to concentrate and then rushes towards the troll. Looks like it is trying to use yet another strategy. Roll Willpower to resist.
You'r first shot goes off before that though. So it hits, but the spirit gets 5 successes on its defense so the damage isn't high enough to get through its hardened armor.
Normally I would wait until after your Willpower roll to see the results of the second shot, but in this case there is just no chance for it to hit. And even if it did hit it wouldn't be high enough damage for it to get through the armor.

Now for SlicerDicer's turn. Frustated and annoyed by Mrs. Needle's screams of pain, he says something like "Oh just shut up already!" and then chops off her head in one clean swipe of the sword

@Shalimar: Time for Tempty's actions.
Shalimar
Tempty will head back down the isle towards the register, being as stealthy as she can, (heading to p15-16 however far I can get)

"We need to take the group by the register, or were by the register. If anyone runs into trouble, call it out." she sends out over her commlink.

Infiltration 8
2 6 3 6 5 5 2 1
4 hits
Slacker
@Shalimar: Ok, with that roll I doubt anybody will be hearing you move around.

@Whizbang: At the same time, Tempty is sneaking around, Maddie attacks you. Though, this time the miniature Link is jumps out and throws a boomerang at you, a black boomerang. Having already taken a serious amount of damage she even uses a point of Edge to rerolled failed dice, getting a total of 6 successes.
Roll Response + Stealth program to defend yourself.
You can also go ahead and tell me what Zelda is doing on her turn.

@gobogen: You can go ahead and post actions for Taku.

edit: @All: Almost forgot to mention, as it hits Zelda's turn the lights begin to flicker to life. They aren't on yet, but there is enough for Partial Light (-2 modifier if you are using regular vision or thermo, but no modifier if your are using low-light).
netlich
Willlpower check? As in only Willpower check?

I have rolled two dice in case I get Charisma in it as well again if it is like the previous scare move otherwise just one die...Gulp...

[ Spoiler ]

2 successes (one if I am rolling only willpower!!)...This is gonna hurt ain't it?
Whizbang
Speaking of ouch...wait...black... really ouch. think edge time to reroll failures.

[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
@netlich: Going to hurt? Not the least in the world, but it will make things more difficult for you.
Sorry, but this test was Willpower alone. DarHar's mind has become muddled with Confusion. He is going to be suffering a -3 on all actions from now on, at least until the spirit is no more.

@Whizbang: Yep, that boomerang is as black as the night. So as I am sure you have guessed it means that it is either a Black Hammer or Blackout program. Guess she was loading up a new program last turn.
Since you don't have a Biofeedback Filter running, you can only resist the damage by rolling Willpower. With her 3 net successes, the DV of the attack is 8P.
I imagine you'll have to reroll that attack because unless you use Edge and roll exceptionally well, you will be suffering a modifier. Actually, never mind rerolling the attack. She just rolled 5 successes to defend.
Whizbang
Willpower...ouch....and that attack likely brings my scorched flaw into effect...very ouch.

[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
@Whizbang: Yep, that will mean that your Scorched flaw is in effect so if you try to jack out/log off you will suffer a -2 modifier.
With 2 successes, you just took a whopping 6 boxes of Physical damage.
If you want to change your action from attacking to something else, like loading up your biofeedback filter, or trying to jack out, or something else that would be fine with me.
Whizbang
Yes, think I kinda need that biofeedback filter...I'll swap out the analyze for the biofeedback filter. Don't quite have the time for analyzing stuff right now...
Slacker
General Update:
Currently waiting to hear Taku's actions from gobogen.
BaronKen, you can also go ahead and post actions for Crosshairs.
Also, I am starting a new job Monday, so my posting will probably be slowing down and mostly only happen during the evenings.
gobogen
Sorry to have you wait. I probably won't be fast to answer these coming days either but I'll do my best.

Taku will walk down the large aisle along Q, readying a dodge (can we do that? If not he'll just ready a shooting action). He'll walk past Louis if possible, if he's being anoying, Taku will push him aside without hurting him or making him fall, just so that he's not in the way.
BaronKen
Walk (limp? wink.gif) to P23 to get behind the endcap. Delay action until Spike comes into the open from the other end.

Send over the commlink, "I took two nasty hits from the register area. Making my way to the center aisle."
Slacker
@gobogen: You can use up your current Complex Action to go on Full Defense (i.e. Dodge). So that is fine, you will be able to add Dodge to your defense from now until your next Initiative Pass.
Technically, I think it would take some type of action to push Louis out of the way, but it's not important. So I'll just say you sidestepped him and Static's corpse.

@BaronKen: As you step into the middle aisle Crosshairs notices Jack moving towards him with a pistol in his hand. When Jack sees Crosshairs, he seems ready to fire the pistol and begins raise it to point at Crosshairs.
As to your delaying an action, keep in mind that delayed actions happen before or after a turn, not in the middle of somebody's turn. Meaning that if you wait until after Spike moves into the 'open', you would also be waiting until after he has fired shots at you.

@Wintermancer: Looks like it is time for Rydell's turn.

@netlich: Behind DarHar, Catcher glances around looking for the person he last shot at and then gives up, takes aim, and fires a Called Shot to increase the DV by +4 at DarHar's back, getting 4 successes.
He'll say something referencing the 'trog', so I'll give you a chance to notice his attack and thus the chance to defend. Unfortunately, the spirit's Confusion is a serious henderance to you in this case. You don't have the Perception skill so you are defaulting to Intuition at a -1. Combined with the -3 from the Confusion, you're at 0 dice. So only if you use your last point of Edge to roll a Long Shot, will you actually have a chance.
Wintermancer
Do I have enough movement to get to W-15; and, if so, how many actions would I have remaining? 2 Simple/1 Complex, or do I lose actions for moving that far?

Winter
Slacker
@Wintermancer: Walking you really wouldn't make it into W-15. A small part of you would make it in to W-15, but only about 1/3 of the way in. NOt enough to see around the corner.
If you run, it would be no problem.
Movement does not effect your number of Complex or Simple Actions, but running does use up a Free Action.

edit: I just updated the map so show you where you would be if you just walked.
BaronKen
Called shot to knock the pistol from Jack's hand.
Crosshairs had his low-light vision turned on earlier (is that even necessary for Adept powers or are they always on?).
[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
@BaronKen: I probably wouldn't say he has cover from you, so you would of had two more dice to roll, but it doesn't matter. He only rolled 1 success on his defense test. So the modified DV of your attack is already well above his strength (more than twice it, actually). The gun flies out of his hand and tumble towards you for about 4 meters.
Also, your bullet recochettes demolishing some cans of wet dog food, splashing Jack and the surrounding floor with it.
netlich
Unfortunately I have used both Edge points so am at edge 0 frown.gif...Meaning I get it full on!
I guess I roll for saking off some damage then:

I am not sure on th enumber of dice here so feel free to take off as many as are wrong..They are too many any way smile.gif
[ Spoiler ]

So I go tanything between 4 to 10 successes smile.gif
Slacker
@netlich: Ok, you were right about the confusion not affecting the roll to resist damage. Your armor jacket is actually 8 ballistic and 6 Impact, but Catcher's revolver has an -2 so in the end you rolled the right amount of dice.
The DV of the revolver is normally 6P. With a +4 from his called shot to up the power, and another +4 from successes, this shot had a total DV of 14P.
Your 10 successes reduce that to only 4P, so you've taken 4 boxes of physical damage.
Slacker
I'm still waiting on Wintermancer to tell me what other actions Rydell takes, but I don't see any harm in going ahead and post what the remaining NPC's are doing, since they shouldn't interfere with her actions.

First comes Spike. After hearing the gunfire from roughly where he suspected Crosshairs to have moved to, he was hoping Crosshairs was distracted.
He steps up to the corner of the aisle and fires a shot at Crosshairs. He gets a single success.
BaronKen, give me a Perception roll to see if you heard him coming (-2 for the the sound not being in your immediate vicinity and -2 because you are distracted by shooting at Jack).
As long as you get 1 success on that roll, you can roll Reaction to defend yourself. Otherwise, roll to resist 6P (-1 AP) damage.

Wanda crawls further away from the cash register area.

Johnny finally starts moving and is heading for the rear stock room.

Jack makes a dive for his pistol (which probably is inoperable after Crosshairs' shot, but he doesn't know that). Despite the slippery terrain, he executes an amazingly accurate leap through the air and tumble across the ground, grabbing up his pistol as he rolled. Not only that, but ending his forward roll, he was able to spin himself into the nearby aisle for protection, with the white fringe of his leather vest flailing dramatically through the air.
The whole maneuver looked more complex than many seen on the trid, but he seemed to have performed it effortlessly. Thankfully, the scene wasn't ruined by Jack's own face of utter shock and amazement at pulling it off, because of the fact that nobody could see him when it was finished.

Trying not to be left behind, Angie stepped into the aisle and fired a shot at the man who had attacked Jack, Crosshairs. She is only able to get 1 success.
BaronKen: There is no need to roll Perception to see this attack, but if you were able to defend yourself against Spikes attack, your defense on this one will be suffering a -1.
She continues her movement and ends up on the same aisle as Jack, crowding in next to him and asking how the hell he had been able to do what he just did.

Louis gets distracted from the corpse by Taku sidestepping him. He makes an attempt to grab one of the shadowrunner's legs to hold him there to answer his unending string of questions. I'm not even going to bother having you roll to defend, because the kid hasn't got a chance in hell of succeeding since you are using full defense.
However, he will be distracting you a bit with his questions and it does count as you having defended against an attack this Pass.

Frightened beyond belief by his blood loss, the large troll looming over him, and the sight of the spirit, Mr. Nick fires one shot at DarHar and one shot at the Spirit. I flipped a coin to see which he would fire at first, and it was unfortunately DarHar. You should have no problem evading it though. He only got 1 successes.
He rolled a critical glitch trying to hit the spirit and the gun jammed up on him, though he is too crazed to notice that fact right now.

I'll wait until I here back from Wintermancer before going back up to the top of the Initiative order for the second pass.
Slacker
Nevermind, I just heard from Wintermancer in a PM, she's delaying her remaining actions.

Guess I will go ahead and start back up at the top of the Initiative order.

Some shadows suddenly move near the checkout counter, and Bruce can now be seen although he is still a bit hazy in DarHar's thermographic vision. He rushes up and attacks the crazed dwarf manager, saying "There'll be no more of that dwarf!"
With a well place unarmed strike, not only does he hit Mr. Nick with such force that the shotgun is dropped to the ground, but also there is the sound of bone cracking and the dwarf is knocked to the ground a meter or so away, unconscious.
If DarHar switches to using normal vision in anticipation of the lights coming on completely, he will note something very odd. The man, Bruce, is african-american, but he is wearing some oriental clothing, including a ridiculous hat made of reeds.

Next the Spirit attacks DarHar in melee at the same time as DarHar does whatever it is netlich wants him to do.
Assuming you want your extra reach to subtract from his dice pool as usual, he rolls and gets 4 successes.
BaronKen
Perception test to notice Spike:
[ Spoiler ]

Damage resistance (you'll have to decide if I need to modify based on above critical glitch):
[ Spoiler ]

Defense against Angie:
[ Spoiler ]
BaronKen
For the next Initiative Pass are the lights still flickering on, i.e. partial light, or are they on full?
Slacker
@BaronKen: Hmm...simply failing the perception test is already pretty harsh. Tell you what...forget about the -2 for distraction. Being in a fight you wouldn't let any one opponent distract you, especiallly considering your previous encounter with Spike.
So just roll two dice and add it to the one you already rolled. Hopefully it won't still be a glitch.

As to the lights, they are currently flickering. You may or may not have noticed that that started flickering to life on Zelda's turn. Since she initiated the reboot, I'm having any changes in the lighting happen on her Initiative.
That means, you'll have to wait and see. It doesn't much matter for you though since you have low-light vision.
gobogen
haha Louis is such an annoying little idiot... haha

Defending against a kid grabing my leg.. cool biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012