Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: SR4-First Run
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Slacker
Well he wasn't necessarilly coming after you, he just got to a pont he could see more of what was going on. And, with the majority of activity towards the front of the store, he happened to got to the top of the shelf closest to that. Which just happened to be the one between you an him.

That being said, he easily avoided the first shot (7 successes).
On his defense against the second shot he only got 5 successes, but he used Edge to reroll failed dice and got another 3. So he tied you meaning it was a glancing blow.

The map has been updated to show Bruce's movement.

@netlich: you had said you wanted to attack Bruce if you went before the the Spirit. You are at a -3 from confusion, -1 from wounds, -1 from range, and a -1 for firing from cover, unless you change your position (depending on where you move to, he may get cover though).
BaronKen
7 hits and 5 hits! Bruce is one very lucky guy. I want his dice roller! wink.gif
Slacker
That or he has a lot of dice to roll.
Or some combination of the two. biggrin.gif
Slacker
I'm going to go ahead and roll for DarHar to attack Bruce.

He was able to notice you coming so he does get to defend.

On both the first shot and the second DarHar got 3 successes. Based on Bruce's previous rolls, I'd say you probably don't have much of a chance.

Well it looks like his earlier good rolling is gone. Bruce only got 3 successes on the first roll, but that was still enough to avoid taking damage.

On the second roll, he rolled horribly. He only got 1 success and a lot of ones, meaning he got a glitch. With the severity of the glitch I'm going to say that the DV is increased by 2 and he'll fall off the shelf and possibly take damage from falling.

So the DV is 12 (base of 8, +2 for net successes, +2 from his glitch) with +2 AP. I guess he'll go ahead and use another point of Edge to add dice to his damage resistance test....Looks like his luck has returned thanks to quite a few multi-exploding 6's he actually got 13 success and takes no damage. He does however fall off the shelf. With an exception feat of gymnastics, he is able to twist in mid-air and actually land on his feet though.

@gobogen: Time for Taku's actions.

edit:
@netlich: Forgot about the Spirit. It will be running up to DarHar and melee with him yet again. Getting tired of this and wanting to return to its natural plane, it is going to add it's last point of Edge to the roll and do a called shot to increase the DV +4.
Whoa....I don't feel like outright killing you so I am not going to use his first roll which got an amazing 10 successes!!! eek.gif
Instead, I rolled again and he still got a good number of successes, 5. But at least you have a chance.
@Whizbang: You can also go ahead and post actions for Zelda.
gobogen
"I'll try to bring down the spirit." Taku says while running toward him.

He'll run toward the spirit and intends to make an unarmed attack with his karate (and killing hands) on him. If he doesn't reach him in time for that action, he'll be in full defense in case the spirit attacks him or he's being fired at for some reason.
Slacker
@gobogen: Just wanted to double check that you do notice on the map that Bruce is now standing (well more crouching than standing) right next to you.
As far as moving to attack the spirit, there is definitely no way you would make it there this Initiative pass. You would actually just barely make it there next pass.
Oh and don't forget that you still have a pistol in hand, so you will either want to drop it (Free Action) or holster it (Simple Action), or suffer whatever penalty I gave you the last time you did melee.
Whizbang
Yet another attack
[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
@Whizbang: Looks like yet another lucky roll for the NPC's, she actually got 7 successes!

@Wintermancer: Looks like it's time for Rydell's turn.
Wintermancer
Hrmmm. Do I have a clear shot of Spike? Or is he too tangled up with the big guy?

Winter
netlich
I don't mind with you being fair - remember no matter how much it wounds me I got 20+ dice for shaking off thew wounds...Plus I am not sure how much damage I can take as I recall this has changed and depends on attributes now (with the Troll obvious greatly enjoying this)...I oinly have 3 points in wounds now...

anyway - let us see what the dice say:

Close Combat
[ Spoiler ]

Guess I spoke too soon - gives me one success giving him +9!!!!

Defense
[ Spoiler ]

12 successes but how much damage do I soak of is the million dollar question... Damn I could have used a few edges...With a good edge score this guy can shake of a missile launcher smile.gif

Slacker
@Wintermancer: Spike?...Oh wait you mean the Spirit, don't you? Spike is the ganger all the way at the front of the store. The spirit is the creature fighting DarHar.
The troll is pretty much completely blocking your view of the Spirit. However, I'll let you take a shot with a -4 modifier for the cover. You'd also be at suffering -2 from wounds and -1 from range. And then another -1 from recoil if you took a second shot. Leaving you with only 3 dice on the first shot and only 2 dice on the second shot.
The spirit will be suffering a -3 on his defense roll because he is in melee, but I'll remind you that normal weapons don't see to effect it all that much. And if you glitch on either roll, you will be hitting DarHar, though that may not matter to you much because he isn't part of the team, he's just some caped freak in the store. smile.gif

@netlich: It's not like it mattered for this particular roll on defence since the last several dice were'nt successes, but keep in mind that you are still under the influence of confusion, -3. It's only damage resistance test that doesn't apply to.
I just double checked and the book says nothing about the bone lacing armor bonus not being cumulative with dermal plating, so I am assuming that it doesn't. So you did roll the correct dice for the damage resistance test.
As to the number of boxes of physical damage you can take, that would be 13 (8 + half your Body).
Ok, you asked for it then. I will let his original roll stand. I was forgetting just how many dice you have for damage resistance. That means the DV was 18!!! Minus your 12 successes!!! (good rolling by the way) Gives you 6 more boxes of physical damage. A grevious wound that would have killed a lesser hero....
That reminds me, the creatures claws struck your kneck/collarbone area and whatever was holding your cape on just got ripped to pieces. So your mauve cape just fell to the floor.

@Whizbang: I guess I could go ahead and tell you what Maddie is doing. She gives you a wink and tosses a scroll over towards you. As you momentarily concentrate at the scroll thinking it my be a new form of attack, she begins to fade away. You look up in time to realize that she probably just logged off, at the very least she just left the node you are currently on.
The scroll does not fall to the 'floor' instead it just hangs in the air in front of you.
Whizbang
Well, guess that means I met my objective of getting her offline, assuming she isn't just in the next node...I'll be reading the note whenever my time allows.
Slacker
@Whizbang: Just to let you know, it was more than just a simple text message. She actually sent you a file, so it is sitting on your commlink and you can read/analyze it after the fighting in the store is over if you want.
Slacker
I've just posted IC to catch it up to the end of the last combat turn. I would have done it earlier (and most likely caught it all the way up to the current action), but my damn laptop has been freaking out and died on me four times in the middle of me typing up the post. It wouldn't be so bad, but Word was refusing to actually save for me.

I'll try to post some more to catch it all the way up later today if I have time.
Slacker
General Update: Currently I'm waiting to hear from Wintermancer for clarification on the actions for Rydell.
Also, I had wanted to double check with gobogen that he did in fact want to leave the vicinity of Bruce (possibly provoking an attack) and head towards the Spirit Beast even though he wouldn't get there this Initiative Pass.
netlich
Doh! I did ask for it....But fair is fair

Damage is now at 9 points...what's the modifier for that?

Oh and DarHAr is now pissed off! His cape has been ripped!!!
Slacker
@netlich: [edit]You're actually at 10 boxes, you had 4 before and you just took another 6.[/edit]10 boxes of damage means that you have a -3 wound modifier. Combined with the -3 from Confusion, DarHar is suffering some pretty hefty penalties on all of his actions.
QUOTE (netlich)
Oh and DarHAr is now pissed off! His cape has been ripped!!!

That was the idea. biggrin.gif
Slacker
@BaronKen: While we're waiting, I guess you can go ahead and tell me what you want Crosshairs to be doing when it gets to his turn.
BaronKen
Step back out of Angie's view to O/P-23 and fire a called shot followed by a regular shot at Spike.
[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
@BaronKen: Crosshairs has a pistol in each hand and ambidexterity so there is no need for a recoil modifier.
Well, it seems Spike is not very lucky, even using 1 point of Edge on each of the damage resistance tests, you nearly killed him although he was uninjured previously.
He got 2 successes on defense and 7 on the damage resistance test for the first shot. So he took 2 boxes of physical damage.
On the second shot he only got 1 success on defense, and a ridiculously low 3 successes on damage resistance considering he used Edge to reroll failed dice and had 11 dice to roll to begin with. So he took 6 boxes of damage from that and is knocked to the ground. He is still moving, but from all of thet blood it is quite obvious that he is almost dead.
Also, he and the floor got spray with debris.
gobogen
I'm sorry I couldn't come back to you for a while.. I'll get more active again soon.

As far as Taku is concerned, Bruce didn't seem as a hostile to him so simply avoiding him makes sense. On the other end, the spirit is potentially very dangerous and the troll could give us a hand here too, while Taku is the only one fit to fight a spirit. You guessed my intentions well in IC btw. Tell me if you need any rolls from me.
Slacker
@gobogen: No rolls necessary and no problem about the time it took to reply. Stuff happens to us all and its been going slow in the game lately anyways.
Bruce watched you as you moved past him, but he made no move to attack you. Of course that could just be because I made him use up his Free Action to attempt to land on his feet.
Slacker
@Wintermancer: To keep the game moving I am going to say Rydell moves out of the spirit's sight like you wanted her to, then she is delaying her actions while she tries to decide on what to do.
I'll update the map tonight. (Reminds me that I need to update where Crosshairs is.)

Now for the NPCs' actions:

Louis saw Bruce's acrobatics and is now fascinated with him. Louis runs up to Bruce intending to grab him, but the kid slipped in the debris and fell to the ground.

After having been splattered with drops of Spikes blood, Catcher looks left and right at what remains of his gang and says "Forget this drek. You two are on your own."
He then runs towards the door. Seeing Crosshairs with two pistols pointed in his general direction, he fires off a quick shot without even slowing down.
@BaronKen: He rolled a glitch, but he still got 4 successes, so give me a defense roll.
Unfortunately for him, he wasn't thinking all that straight and forget to give the automated doors time to open fully. He crashed right through one of them suffering some lacerations and falling to the ground.

Wanda finally just gets up and runs all out towards the back stockroom. At the same time, Johnny is running for the back room also. The two of them run into each other at the doors and Wanda is knocked to the ground on the other side of the door, while Johnny pauses for the moment (standing over her in the doorway) with conflicting thoughts on whether to help her or just worry about himself.

Jack and Angie move deeper onto the aisle they are on trying to be stealthy, but failing miserably.

Under the guise of helping his boss (rather than the truth, which is he just wants to get the hell of there), Spike stands up, and limps over to where Catcher is lieing on the ground just outside the store. He fires off two shots at Crosshairs more as covering fire than actually trying to hit him. The first shot missed completely and he got only 1 success on the second shot.
@BaronKen: Give me a defense roll for that too, keeping in mind the -1 modifier from defending against previous attack.

I guess its back up to the top and time for Bruce to do his thing. He pulls off his hat that had been torn up by DarHar's slivergun. Looks at the ragged wholes, and a very distinct look crosses over his face. As he looks up at the closest enemy, Tempty, he glares at her and his eyes glow with animosity. Tempty may not have been the one to do the damage, but DarHar's warning of his approach on her (and the fact that she shot at him) was all the proof Bruce needed to decide that they were together.
With quiet deliberation he stepped forward and attacked Tempty adding Edge to his dice pool....ouch, he got 7 successes.
@Shalimar: Give me a melee defense roll. And then you can tell me what your actions will be for this Initiative Pass.
BaronKen
Going on Full Defense again (bullets are just too hard to avoid without Dodging wink.gif).

Defense roll for Catcher's shot:
[ Spoiler ]

Just in case I somehow remain able, here's my Defense Roll for Spike's shot:
[ Spoiler ]
BaronKen
Heading to Texas tomorrow morning for a friend's wedding. Will be back late Sunday night.
If Crosshairs is able to move somehow, heh, NPC him for me to keep the game moving.

Man down! MEDIC! wink.gif
Shalimar
In melee combat, I get to roll dodge and reaction, and if I want to I can go full defense and roll reaction + (dodge *2)?

I will go full defense(dodge) so:
14 Dice
[ Spoiler ]

9 hits

the above precludes any actions I guess. I'll take care of him next pass biggrin.gif and hopefully someone else will shoot him too.
Slacker
@BarokKen: Oops, I forgot just how injured Crosshairs already is. The sprawl can be tough, but this game wasn't supposed to be deadly for a group of 'runners......
Actually, I am going to use GM fiat to make a change to your character sheet, so that Crosshairs is still alive:
[ Spoiler ]

@Shalimar: Excellent roll. So you were able to defend successfully, but Bruce is even more upset that he was unable to hit you. So even if somebody else does come to help, he'll probably still be attacking you. smile.gif

@netlich: Looks like you're up, along with the spirit who is attacking you again.
The spirit gets only two successes on its attack this time. Guess the last attack wore it out.
Slacker
The Stuffer Shack map has been updated.
Shalimar
I'll use my free action to broadcast to my teammates:

"I have some martial art junkie all over me, need a hand in Aisle 3"
Slacker
Just posted more IC. Almost caught up, just need to post something about Bruce's attack on Tempty.
But right now it's time to leave work. I'll take care of that tonight.
netlich
First of all (dunno if you need a perception roll for this so I will roll it along with my attacks) DarHar sidesteps the spirit trying to get it to turn its back on the approaching Taku os he circles around it anti-clockwise...He tries his luck once more, panting as his wounds are starting to get the better of him...
Perception
[ Spoiler ]

just one success for noticing Taku

Attackx2
[ Spoiler ]

Both get 3 hits. I was hoping for more luck but I can't really complain with the dice I get to roll wink.gif

Defense
[ Spoiler ]

Damn only 1 hit on defense and only 7 hits out of 22!!! Does that put me down? Can't remember how much damage he does...
Slacker
edit:@netlich:
[ Spoiler ]

@gobogen: I believe you're intention is to charge in against the spirit, correct? Oh and have you dropped your pistol along the way, or will you still be suffering the -1 i was giving you for using a martial arts focusing on hands while holding it?

@Whizbang: You can go ahead and tell me what you want to do.
Shalimar
I am going to be out of town from Tuesday to Friday for a funeral, so no posting for me.
Whizbang
I'm going to be checking out the rest of the system to make sure Maddie isn't still kicking around here somewhere before checking out that file. I got their lights for them...what more can they ask for in the real world? smile.gif
Slacker
@Shalimar: Sorry to hear of your loss, I think we can all sympathize with you on that. So take as much time as you need.

@Whizbang: Give me a couple Matrix Perception Tests (Computer Skill + Analyze program) to see if you notice anything.
netlich
I will still do the movement action as even if I fail the roll to recognise Taku it will place me at a better position fo rboth of them...

Menory check :
[ Spoiler ]

10 successes easily shaking off the damage...But for how long?? At the same time even without the -3 for shooting in melee I don't think I do anything with 3 successes in either shot...

With the Mauve cloak gone and DarHar pissed off (plus one more new-comer joinning melee wink.gif ) DarHar decides it's time to get messy...I presume it is a free action to extract my spurs but do I need to holster the Viper? Next phase am gonna go Wolverine on the spirit's armoured butt! smile.gif I don't suppose I could have moved far enough to charge back to it?

EDIT : How much of a strategic move (if feasible) would it be if DarHar tried to use his immense size to grapple the spirit and pins its clawed hands to the side even momentarily so that Taku couldmore easily hit it?
[ Spoiler ]

2 hits are good enough for him to think of it in a feat of divine inspiration!

Slacker
@netlich: You succeeded with your memory test, so you do recognize Taku as being a probable ally.
You could easily move far enough away from the spirit that you would be able to charge it next pass. Normally, I would advise you that would also mean that the spirit could charge you, but it doesn't have a third pass so that isn't an issue.
By the way, 3 net successes is exactly how many you need to bypass it's hardened armor with your pistol. The problem is getting them to be net successes and not just successes. smile.gif
Bringing out your cyberspurs will take a free action. I'll let you use them while still holding your pistol, but at a -1. Or you could use your free action next pass to drop the pistol. Holstering the pistol would require a Simple Action which wouldn't allow you to melee the spirit that pass.
I'll let you say DarHar came up with the strategy, though I'll have to look up the rules on that to see how effective it would be (don't have my book with me so that will have to wait until tonight). The only issue I might have with it is that DarHar is rather upset at the loss of his beautiful pink...I mean...mauve cape wink.gif . Would he really be willing to let somebody else finish off the creature? Also, you would definitely have to either drop or holster your pistol to be able to grabble.
Slacker
Rules for SUBDUING Combat:
[ Spoiler ]
Whizbang
[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
@Whizbang: Ok, you failed to notice her anywhere and you strongly suspect that she is no longer on any of the nodes, so it's not a complete waste of a turn i'll also say you noticed something odd about the message/file she sent you; its larger than you would expect a simple message to be.
Slacker
@gobogen: Hope you don't mind, but to keep the game moving I'm going to go ahead and roll for you. I'll say for now you still have your pistol in hand as you charge into melee with the Spirit.
Charging adds +2 dice, you're suffering -1 for having a pistol in hand while trying to melee, -1 from wounds, and -2 from goop on your face and hands, giving you 12 dice to roll. You get 4 successes.
Unfortunately for the spirit, it failed to roll even a single success. It rolled fairly well on it's damage resistance test, just not well enough to handle the powerful combination of your killing hands and critical strike.
You did exactly enough damage to it and the Spirit is now no more. Congrats! smile.gif
It fades away and returns once more to its native plane.
I try to remember to update the map tonight.

@Wintermancer: It's time for Rydell's turn.

@BaronKen: You can also go ahead and post actions for Crosshairs.
BaronKen
Since Angie and Jack are making noise moving down the aisle, Crosshairs will move to the aisle endcap at P-22 for some cover (went on Full Defense last IP).
Slacker
Ok, I went ahead and updated the Stuffer Shack map on my lunch break.
From the looks of things, with the gangers running and the spirit gone, this game is only going to last one more combat turn. The only real question is how long it will take you to deal with Bruce.
gobogen
Cool !!

Taku was glad with the work done, not yet able to take all the goo away from his face. He winks at the troll, "I'm always here to give a hand." and announces on the team's comm link that the spirit is no more a threat.

Feel free to roll and such. I have trouble to keep up with the pace of the game sometimes, but I'm really trying my best since the current times are hard for me.
Slacker
QUOTE (gobogen)
I have trouble to keep up with the pace of the game sometimes, but I'm really trying my best since the current times are hard for me.

Perfectly understandable. I've been trying to keep this game up to a faster pace than most other forum games (at least compare to all the other's I've been in we have been going extremely fast).
Mostly when I roll for players or say they've delayed their actions until they can post, it's only because I am bored at work. It's not that I think people are taking too long.
gobogen
Well you're doing a really good job at it I must say and I enjoy it. I'd rather come back to the thread one day late and see that I was late for a roll than come back 4 days later and I was still the last one to post something and nothing has moved.
Slacker
I just noticed that it's been nearly two weeks since last we heard from Wintermancer. I've sent her a PM to see if everything is ok, but I think I will go ahead and post actions for her.

She walks past Louis who is still on the ground in the debris and moves to shoot at Bruce's back. Unfortunately, walking through the debris made a little bit too much noise and he noticed her coming.
On her first shot, she got 4 successes. Unfortunately, Bruce's good rolling has returned and even with the -3 for being in melee he was got 6 successes. So he avoided the attack. However, he did get splashed with debris as something on the shelves was destroyed so he will be suffering a -2 until he cleans it off.
On her second shot, she only rolled 1 success and she got a glitch. Because Bruce and Tempty are in melee I'll say that if Bruce avoids the hit completely, not just matching her successes, the bullet would hit Tempty. He got only 3 successes, but that is more than enough to avoid the bullet.
Now, normally I'd say that Tempty couldn't defend against this type of hit because it had been aimed for Bruce and not her. However, Tempty is on full defense, so in this case I'll let her go ahead and roll, but only using Reaction.
Since Shalimar said she wouldn't be able to post through today I'll roll for her...and she also easily avoids the bullet, which flies down the aisle and harmlessly lodges itself in the countertop by the register.

Catcher is the only NPC left with an action this pass, so he stands up (shoving Spike away from him) and limps out into the storm outside, mumbling to himself and...you could be mistaken about this, but you even think he was...giggling?
A moment later a rumbling could be heard outside. At first everybody thinks it just more thunder, but when it stays continuous, you all realize that it is the sound of a motorcycle starting up.

Back up to the top for the third Initiative Pass.

Not wanting to have somebody behind him while he is fighting Tempty, Bruce takes advantage of Tempty's defensive stance to move around to put her between him and Rydell without provoking an attack.
He then attacks Tempty once more. Adding Edge once more to his roll to get this over with so he can deal with the new assailant, he gets 5 successes.

@Tempty: I'll go ahead and wait until you can post again for this roll since it won't effect anything else in this pass. Remember you are suffer -1 from avoiding the glitched shot from Rydell.

@netlich: Time for DarHar's actions. If you run you could just make it to see down the aisle and shoot at Bruce's back (though you'll make a lot of noise and he'd almost certainly hear you coming). You would not have enough movement to attack him in melee. Just keep in mind, that if you glitch (a good possibility with the penalities you'd be suffering) you could hit Tempty.

@Whizbang: Guess you could go ahead and post your actions also.

@All: Looks like its time for another Initiative Roll (probably the last), so you can go ahead and post them.
netlich
Exactly that with the difference that he will keep on running trying to get out of the shop quickly...after Spike and Catcher. And he will mumble a brief "Danks!" with a half-stupid grin to Taku as he bursts away...

two attacks:
[ Spoiler ]

3 and 5 hits...

new initiative
[ Spoiler ]

Init : 14
And a quick question : How long does it take to use the medikit or a trauma patch?
gobogen
Init 12
Slacker
@netlich: Thanks to the demise of the spirit your mind is cleared of confusion (at least the magically endused kind anyways).
If your intention was to stop Catcher and Spike, it might be better for you to fire at Spike who is standing in the doorway. If you want to switch to firing at Spike, just tell me.
In shooting at Bruce, you would be suffering a -2 because your running and a -1 for attacking from cover (which applies even step from behind cover, as in past the shelves to be able to see down the aisle). That means the first shot only got 1 success and the second only got 3 successes.
Bruce got 4 successes against the first shot and so avoided it easily. The second he wasn't so lucky on. He only got 2 successes and so he was forced to use yet another point of Edge to avoid it. Good thing he's naturally lucky.smile.gif

As to First Aid skill using a medkit[First Aid skill + Logic + Medkit rating (2), it is a Complex Action that takes a number of Combat Turns equal to the amount of damage the character is attempting to heal. Each net hit over threshold heals 2 box of damage.
Trauma Patches are only helpful when you are trying to stabilize somebody that is in overflow damage.
Applying any slap patch takes a Simple Action, but you would first have to pull it. Depending on where you have it stored, that could take a Free action or a Simple Action.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012