Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: SR4-First Run
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
gobogen
In reaction to the shots fired at him (and which hit him), Taku takes his revenge shooting back with his Predator which was still in his hand.
After taking a shot, Taku gets as close to the shelves as possible and puts a knee down so that random bursts are unlikely to hit him now.
[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
@gobogen: To use the Infiltration Skill to try to hide in the darkness will take a Complex Action, which means you wouldn't be able to fire a shot. Also, in complete darkness it doesn't matter what you are wearing.
So do you want to fire the shot or hide?
Oh, and there is was another -1 to your attack because of the range. Because your last die was a 1 it wouldn't make a difference here, I am just stating it for your information.
gobogen
I thought skills were simple actions. Taku will fire a second shot then, even though moving in the same way (close to the shelves, out of the way).
[ Spoiler ]
BaronKen
p. 138 - A character may use an appropriate skill by taking a Complex Action.

@ gobogen
[ Spoiler ]
gobogen
Ooops, major oops. Thanks to Baron Ken to pointing it out. I do have 9 in something (so yes it is possible at char gen, since Taku is an adept) but not in pistols. Taku has 6 (4 + spec) in pistols. Taking away three dice from each shot, I would get only 3 hits and 1 hit (instead of 4 and 2).

So yes it's possible, but your question made me realize I was using the wrong skill.

EDIT: Actually, I reached 9 without using adept powers. Here's how. One of your skill can be 6. Aptitude lets you take it up to 7, which I did. Then add a specialization for plus 2, which gives 9 even at char gen.
BaronKen
@gobogen
Ok, but that 9 wouldn't be in Pistols, right? It would be the spec, e.g. Revolvers and Pistols would still be 7, correct?

Thanks

Edit: Sorry for the interruption, back to your regularly scheduled gaming wobble.gif
gobogen
@Baron, yes that is correct. No worries.
Slacker
Sorry, I have been absent for most of the day, had some things to take care of.

gobogen: As Baronken quoted, using a Skill does take a Complex Action. From the sound of your posts I take you are just firing two shots at Zany and not trying to sneak away (original roll for the first shot and other roll for the second shot).
She can't see in the dark to defend so all she can do is resist the damage. I'm about to head out again, so I don't have time to roll/post the results. I'll get to it as soon as I can.
Slacker
@gobogen:
[ Spoiler ]

General Update:

Zelda is under attack in VR, and I am awaiting her defense roll of Response + Stealth Program. (note: Maddie had been very lucky and scored 6 successes). Beyond that, It is Zelda's turn so I need to know what actions she will be taking.

DarHar is defending against the Spirit's attack. It has scored a hit despite the defense and now I am awaiting his roll to resist 5P damage using Body + Impact armor. Also, its DarHar's turn to move so the spirit will be getting a free attack on him. I need DarHar's defense roll on that also.

As I've mentioned in the spoiler above Taku is being attacked by Zany at the same time he is shooting her. So I need the damage resistance roll from him.

I'm too tired and there is too much up in the air right now for a IC post, so I will wait until tomorrow to post anything in the IC thread.
So far you guys are doing well. You've downed a quarter of the gang and only one member of your team has taken serious damage. I hope you are all having fun and learning the system. I know I am.
Whizbang
6 hits? Ouch. think it's time for a bit of luck. smile.gif
For my turn, I'm returning the favor. Attack + what?

[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
@Whizbang: Looks like she was able to score a hit on you. With her 1 net success the attacks DV is 6. To resist damage from an Attack program you roll System + Armor program.
When you make your attack, you roll Cybercombat skill + attack program rating. And unless you roll well on your damage resistance test against her attack you will probably be suffering a -1 modifier from Matrix damage.
Whizbang
[ Spoiler ]
gobogen
This fight is getting harder and harder, just give me light please!!
[ Spoiler ]
Whizbang
I'm working on it...just a couple more combat rounds...
Slacker
@Whizbang: Ok you just took 1 box of Matrix damage from her attack and she took 3 boxes of damage from your attack. Looks like you've got the upper hand in this fight.

@gobogen: Actually damage does not effect you for the purposes of damage resistance tests so you have 1 more die to roll on those tests. Also, were you including your Mystic Armor adept power? But as it stands now you are correct that you are at 5 boxes of physical damage.
Slacker
Since netlich has said he's pretty much only able to post on Monday and Friday, I'm going to go ahead and roll for DarHar rather than hold up the game.
To resist the damage he got 7 successes so he took no damage.
As DarHar continues to flee from the spirit, it gets a free attack on him. The spirit got 4 successes, while DarHar only got 2 successes and roll a glitch. The glitch means the spirit's attack DV goes up.
On this damager resistance test, DarHar rolls only 4 successes. Which means he takes 3 boxes of physical damage. Because he took damage it also means that his movement was halted.

Now it is time for Crosshairs' actions.
gobogen
Ok let's do this again. I keep forgetting stuff. I should pay more attention. frown.gif
[ Spoiler ]
HMHVV Hunter
Just to make sure: the lights are still off, right?
Whizbang
Yeah, they're still off. I have their node rebooting, though. Not sure how much longer it has until it takes effect, though.
Slacker
It takes a number of Combat Turns equal to the node's System rating for it to reboot.
The reboot started during the Second Initiative Pass of the last Combat Turn so if it had a System rating of only 1, it wouldn't be finished rebooting until next Initiative Pass. And that is only if it has a rating 1 (typically not the case).
Whizbang
Would think a better system would be able to reboot itself faster...
Slacker
You would think so, but the rules say otherwise. Think of it more as the higher the System rating, the more elaborate the device, and it takes longer because of the complexity.
Shalimar
QUOTE (Slacker)
You would think so, but the rules say otherwise. Think of it more as the higher the System rating, the more elaborate the device, and it takes longer because of the complexity.

That seems utterly retarded. Maybe it should be X turns - Rating. Otherwise, using the uber fast system of elite hackeredness it takes longer to boot then it would if you did all of it with punch cards.
Slacker
Keep in mind that the System rating of a device has nothing whatsoever to do with how fast the device can process data. Processing speed is the definition of the Response rating.
System rating determines the complexity of programs that can be loaded within the OS. The more functions supported by the OS, the more complex programs (read higher rating programs) can be uses, but it also means it takes longer to load up all of that functionality.
Lindt
Yeah, note that win 98 boots much faster then XP on the same machine.

Anywho, its been an enjoying read so far, plus Im learning the rules too. Prehaps Ill get in on another Sr4 intor game =)
Slacker
I'm glad you liked reading it so far, lindt.
There are only 2 or 3 other SR4 games going on here currently that I am aware of.
And I believe there is only one game, Fade to Blood, that is currently recruiting. So far, there hasn't been a single reply to that recruitment thread though.
HMHVV Hunter
Alright, Crosshairs is going to keep moving in the direction he was moving in before the lights went out. How far can he move again?
Slacker
@HMHVV Hunter: Having two Initiative Passess, he can walk 5m (a little over 3 squares) or he can run 12.5m (a little over 8 squares). Keep in mind he still doesn't know where Spike is at, so he would have to use up at least 1 Simple Action to Observe in Detail if he wanted to try and find him.
Slacker
@gobogen: In working on the IC post for what's going on, I suddenly realized that I forgot to add Zany's smartlink dice to her roll. Just rolling those two additional dice, she still got 0 successes on the first burst, but she got two more successes on the second burst, so the DV was actually 10, and you did take 1 box of physical damage from that attack.

@HMHVV Hunter: Walking you could get to just to the end of the shelves (I went ahead and updated the map with you walking in mind, you could move up to 5 more squares if you were running). If you use a Simple Action to Observe in Detail at that point you may be able to determine where Spike is (keep in mind that he is being stealthy so it will take more than 1 success and you would only be using 5 dice because of some modifiers).

@Wintermancer: It's almost your turn so you can go ahead and post Rydell's actions.
Wintermancer
I'm going to hold my actions until I either a) have a clear visual of SlicerDicer, or b) the lights come back up.

Winter
Slacker
@Wintermancer: What exactly would you call a clear shot? In the dark you can't see where he's at and with your current position you would at the very least be suffering a -1 for firing from cover if he moved to a point you could 'see' him.
Keep in mind that when you hold your actions, you can't interrupt somebody elses actions such as can be done in games like D&D. You would either take your actions before SlicerDicer's turn or after it. So if he takes the time next pass to detect where you are, he could move up to Rydell without her firing a shot. Alternatively, if he walked down the aisle past where Rydell is hiding, you wouldn't have a chance to shoot him unless he happened to stop in between the aisles.
Also, the two people on the aisle with you are complete unknowns. For all you know they could be more gangers who may or may not have heard you moving around near them. Even if they aren't gangers they could be just your typical sprawl denizen packing some heat and thinking you are one of the gangers. Would Rydell risk staying there when she is unsure of their intent?
HMHVV Hunter
Yeah, I'll do that (walk and observe in detail).

5 die Perception test:

1, 1, 2, 3, 6
Slacker
@HMHVV Hunter: Sorry, but you failed to detect where he has moved to. You could try again, or delay your other simple action, or fire a shot at Catcher who hasn't moved at all and hasn't been keeping quite.
HMHVV Hunter
Alright, I'm firing at Catcher.

How many dice? I assume there's some serious modifiers for darkness and such.
Shalimar
There is a problem with the map, I had a shuriken thrown at me and damage me. Slicer Dicer couldn't have thrown it from where he is on the map. NM, just reread, it was Bruce that threw them.
Slacker
@HMHVV Hunter: Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I've been busy this evening. Between the cover, range, and the darkness you are suffering some pretty hefty modifiers, but then you have a lot of dice to begin with. When all is said and done, you've got 4 dice for your shot at Catcher.
Slacker
Ok, now for the NPC's actions.

Scared to death by Catcher shots at him, Timmy scrambles to his feet and makes a mad dash for the perceived safety of the stockroom. Well really he just wanted to get away from the cash register area and he accidentally ran into the stock area because he could tell where he was going in the dark. As he passes the bathroom he hears the struggle between DarHar and the spirit and back pedals a bit, ending his movement cowering beside the bathroom.

Wanda starts crawling away from Catcher.

Catcher drops his ruined shotgun and turns to fire on Crosshairs with a pistol that he whips out from beneath his coat. We'll have to resolve this after I get the roll for Crosshairs' shot at Catcher.

Mr. Nick rushes out of his office with a shotgun. Seeing somebody that doesn't belong in the stock room the blood crazed dwarf fires a shot at Timmy. Or he tries to, he had forgotten to chamber a round.
His second attempt did however succeed and the cowardly elf was instantly transformed into a scream pile of blood and guts by the shot-shell ammo (i.e. Flechette ammo) Mr. Nick was using. Meaning Timmy is dead.

With Catcher being shot by Crosshairs, Spike could tell that he couldn't run any more or Catcher would kill him. So he turned around and joined in with Catcher in firing on Crosshairs, using up a point of Edge since otherwise he had no dice to roll. And he gets 1 success, so Crosshairs has to resist 6P damage.
With his other Simple Action he will take Aim (with his poor skill though, it will take more than that for him to have even 1 die to roll to hit with his next shot).

Louis Needles has finally realized that Crosshairs is never going to answer his questions. That, and the recent gun fire by Tempty and the subsequent death of Static caught it over-enthusiastic attention. He rushed toward the back of the room calling out a slew of shadowrunner related questions in Tempty's direction and causing several small avalanches as he bumped into shelves in the darkness.
He ended up slipping in some of the blood and assorted drek on the floor around Static's body. He fell to his knees and caught himself from falling on his face by unknowingly grabbing Static's corpse. For the first time since the start of this whole fiasco, he actually stopped talking for a moment as he realized he was actually touching a dead man.

Jack whispered something to his companion, Angie, and began moving quietly (at least what he thinks is quiet).
Wintermancer this means you hear somebody moving quietly behind you.

Johnny continues to play dead or cower or whatever it is I originally said he was doing.
Angie moves to follow Jack, as quietly as she can manage.

And last....and in this case least comes the dead Static who can do nothing more than bleed to death as Louis pokes and prods him.

And now back to the top for the second Initiative Pass.

First up is the Spirit who attacks DarHar yet again. Since you've done it each previous time, I'll go ahead and assume you are using your natural reach to take a die away from his roll. Despite that, he was able to roll 4 successes. Roll your Close Combat + Agility to defend against the attack.

Shalimar, it is now Tempty's turn.
Shalimar
I actually used a complex action already to defend against the Shurikan. If I can still move though, I'll move up to P11 to get away from bruce and get closer to Zelda and Taku so we can concentrate fire.
BaronKen
Question re: Tempy:
Since Tempty didn't use her Free Action in the first IP (she was going to use a Called Shot, but didn't), couldn't she have tried to Run (Free Action) when the shuriken was thrown at her (thereby granting a +2 to her dice pool modifier for her Defense Roll (still in the first IP)?

Too late for that now of course, just wondering if that would have been possible.
HMHVV Hunter
I'll need to get a rundown of defending against damage, but here's my roll for one shot against Catcher.

1, 2, 5, 6
Slacker
@BaronKen: Tempty did use a Free Action to do a Called Shot to bypass Static's armor. It was just that she couldn't do two Called Shots because she only had one Free Action.
Besides that, Running and movement in general are not Free Actions, they are non-actions that can only be declared on your turn, because movement can effect your dice pool (for example: even if you shoot and then run you will still suffer the -2 attacker running modifier).

@Shalimar: Thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten about your Full Defense.
Because you have 3 Initiative Passes, you would only make it to P12 if you were walking. Running you could make it to P11, with 2 squares of movement remaining.
Also, notice on the map that Rydell has just moved up to you with the same thought as you.

@HMHVV Hunter: Ok, with your two successes, Catcher got hit with a 7P and -1 AP attack. He rolled 4 successes to resist the damage and then used his last point of Edge to reroll and got 3 more successes. Which means he took no damage.
Because of the penalties, Catcher only had 1 die to roll to hit and he actually did get 1 success. And the damage you need to resist from this shot is 7P with -2AP.
Because of the darkness, you are unable to try to dodge. So you can just try to resist the damage by rolling Ballistic Armor + Body - the AP of the attack.
To resist the damage from Catcher, you need to roll Ballistic Armor (6) + Body (3) - AP (2) = 7 dice. To stage the damage completely away you would need 7 successes.
To resist the damage from Spike, you need to roll Ballistic Armor (6) + Body (3) - AP (1) = 8 dice.To stage the damage completely away you would need 6 successes.
You can use Edge on either or both of those damage resistance tests if you want to.

@All: Since Tempty didn't have any actions other than movement, I'll go ahead and move on. Before SlicerDicer uses up a Simple Action he hears some movement down the aisle he's on. Having forgotten about the obese Mrs. Needles, he dashes down the aisle can slices into her prone mass. Scoring 2 hits, he cuts deep into her fatty flesh, dealing her a vicious blow. From the extreme difference in pained screams between the experience runner and the obese mother he is able to realize that he attack the wrong person.
Since Tempty would have already moved out of view of Bruce, I'm not going to say what he is doing, though I will say that Rydell does not hear him approaching her at all (though that could be because of all the noise Louis is making).

@Whizbang:In VR, Maddie attacksZelda scoring 5 successes, Whizbang you need to roll Response + Stealth to try to defend against the attack. and then you can go ahead and tell me what you are doing for your turn.

@gobogen: you can go ahead and tell me what you plan to do. I will go ahead and tell you that Zany is moving to get some cover, your first shot (if that is what you do) will be against her before she gets to cover, but that won't be the case if you take a second shot.

@netlich: Time for that Willpower + Charisma Test to try to come out of the Fear effect. As long as you get 1 success, you can act normally on this Initiative Pass.
Shalimar
I'll just walk, P12 is fine,
Whizbang
[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
@Shalimar: Ok. P-12 it is.

@Whizbang: Ok. You dodged her attack. She only got 3 successes against your attack so you got 1 net hit. She then rolled 4 successes to resist damage, so she took 2 boxes of damage.
HMHVV Hunter
Holy shite.

Alright, rolling for both damages. Using edge on both (which completely drains my edge points for the time being)

Catcher's shot (10 dice because of Edge, rule of 6 applies):

1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6

Reroll the six:

So I get 3 successes for that.

Spike's shot: 11 dice (from Edge), rule of 6 applies:

1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4 5, 5, 5

3 successes.

Crap. Sounds like I'm in for a world of hurt.
Slacker
@HMHVV Hunter: Yep. You took 4 boxes of physical damage from Catcher's shot and 3 boxes of physical damage from Spike's shot. So you are not at 7 boxes of damage and you're now suffering a -2 modifier on all of your actions because of damage.
By the way, for future reference you would probably have done better with using Edge to reroll failed dice. Example:
[ Spoiler ]
gobogen
Taku will take one shot at Zany and then go into cover as well. Takul moves to Q11 and tries to do it as silently as possible.

[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
@gobogen: As I said before, using the Infiltration Skill takes a Complex Action, so you wouldn't be able to fire a shot and move stealthily.
For the shot you fired you would have also suffered a -1 modifier because of range, but since your last die wasn't a hit it doesn't matter. You hit her with a 6P attack. She was able to get 5 successes to resist the damage and only took 1 box of Physical damage.
Before you make it to cover she is able to shoot at you once. Firing another narrow burst, she scores a single success on her single die. So you need to resist 8P damage.
By the way, take a look at the updated map and tell me if that is where you wanted Taku to be, or if you wanted him to be at least partially in the aisle to be able to return fire.
Also, you just heard the distinct sound of a ammo mag hitting the ground and another sliding into place from roughly where you believe Zany to be.

@HMHVV Hunter: Shortly before the submachine gun fire in the back of the store, you heard a grunt of pain coming from the vicinity of Catcher.
gobogen
I want to be in full cover just like what I see on the map. I'm annoyed at the badluck I suffer right now, because I score as many hits in 6 dice as my enemy does with only one die. And yeah for the infiltration I forget. It seems odd to me that it's all you can do in one round but I guess it's part of the new rules that we need to get used to. If you don't mind I'll also change my chip (which I believe isn't empty yet but whatever) for my second action.

[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
@gobogen: Yeah, some times the dice just aren't with you, but at least you rolled well on your damage resistance test.
I haven't been keeping track of the ammo you've fired, but I doubt you've used up all that much of your 15 round clip. After a quick scan through the thread I think you've only fired 6 or 7 shots.
But if you still want to switch clips, that's fine.

@All: I'll probably be posting something IC tomorrow, but I am going to wait until Monday when netlich can post for DarHar before I move the game along further. I'm loath to keep taking control of him (especially because when I just rolled his Willpower + Charisma test to try and come out of the Fear he got a Critical Glitch, 3 times in a row even).

@HMHVV Hunter: You can go ahead and post Crosshairs actions though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012