Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: SR4-First Run
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Shalimar
If tempty was able to perceive the gun shots that jack had taken at Dar Har, she'll move to J19 and try to shoot his gun. "If your not with the gang, I really suggest that you drop the pistol and just stay put until things calm down." she'll ready an action to shoot him if he tries to shoot her or a teammate

I think that should be 2 simples and a free, not sure though

If she didn't perceive the gun fire, she move to j19 and tell him to just get Angie and stay down tell the gangers are gone. She'll then ready 2 simple actions to shoot them if they try to fire on her or one of the team.
Slacker
@Shalimar: Jack has not actually fired a single shot in the entire game. He's just been pointing his gun at people, the most recent being DarHar.
You probably have heard him moving around and you almost certainly just heard a curse from his direction as he avoided the shot Crosshairs fired on him.
So we'll just say you came around the corner to see what Crosshairs was shooting at. Seeing the two wannabe rockstars you can't imagine that they would have been in this crappy gang (Jack and Angie's clothing, while still being somewhat low quality, are a step above anything the gangers owned). You tell Jack something like "Get your girl there and just stay out of our way until we take care of the gang and things calm down."
Jack doesn't respond vocally and he's now pointing his pistol (you now notice it's a hold-out pistol...you also notice that it's been damaged and probably won't even fire a shot) in your general direction, though a bit down. Angie however, takes a bit of offense at the implication that she needs protection from any many, even if he is her husband (you notice that unlike Jack, she is packing a heavy pistol). Her pistol is pointed a bit more directly at you than Jack's.
Both seem a bit out of their element here, but you can tell there is a strength in them that is keeping them from showing fear. Other than that, you really can't guess what their next move will be, but you suspect they aren't going to fire at you.
gobogen
Initiative 11
netlich
Well you got me a bit confused as you had said that Catcher screeched his bike to a halt and was coming back at me. Or was it just he was making a fast turn to get away..?

If he is trying to get away then DarHar will concentrate on his groupie...She might catch a cold...So he offers her another cape haphazardly folded in his jacket (he carries a lot of them wink.gif ) while wearing one so that his image remains intact...Then he takes her to the side while peeking inside to ensure all is well...

Otherwise my action will be to shoot twice at the incoming bike...Well the driver actually. smile.gif

And for the new initiative round:
[ Spoiler ]

Either way its init of 15
Slacker
@netlich: Sorry for any confusion. What I said was Catcher continued driving away and then there was a loud screeching and now the bike's headlight is point in your direction. I'd say give me a perception test, but seeing as how you were at 0 dice before taking into account the heavy rain, the darkness outside (partial light because there are somewhat frequent lightning flashes), and the glare from the bikes headlight. So you can't see much of anything except that the headlight is pointed in your direction.
OOC i'll tell you that Catcher sped away further and then executed a very dangerous turn, only question is did he make it or crash?
BaronKen
Initiative:
[ Spoiler ]
netlich
At his brightet moment DarHar will only peek back and ensure the light aint getting bigger then...And he will turn his attentions to the woman. I would expect that when I give her the cape it will fall to the ground so that should explain my next phases check to shake off the image... (Or is that OOC cheating? I am thinking that since she is naked I should give her something warm and then take her inside if it is safe - but at the same time this action will prove she ain't real so is it cheating? Player vs Character knowledge etc...)

Slacker
@netlich: Sounds perfectly in character to me. And I'll actually let you go ahead and make another test to see if you notice it's a fake.
netlich
[ Spoiler ]

This time things look better...3 successes. But even if I notice that it is fake...How much could DarHar deduce? Could he understand how it was created (the image)? And whether Maddie -who was the girl that was absorbed in the arcade throught the shottout- might be responsible? HOw many checks would he nee for that??? smile.gif
Slacker
@netlich: Well you forgot to subtract the wound modifier from that roll, but you still got two successes. You definitely know she's not really there in a physical sense. Not only do you notice the offered cape falling straight through her, but you also notice that she isn't at all wet, despite the terrible rainstorm currently going on.
However, I'm wondering if you would take her for a hacker's harrassment or, after his recent mystical encounter, would he take her for a ghost or otherwise magical in nature. You could roleplay it either way you like.
There really isn't any way that you could deduce that Maddie is the hacker. She's done absolutely nothing to arrouse suspicion from any of you (except Zelda who would only need a minor test of intelligence (logic+intuition) to figure it out based on the icon she was use and the game she was playing). For all you know she could be deaf and didn't hear a single shot (a little odd that she didn't react to the lights going out, but still somewhat possible). Another possibility is that she is a hardcore gamer that doesn't let the outside world bother her when she is playing a game. Another possibility is that the is listening to some loud music while playing a game and so didn't notice the gunfire (you ever seen the movie Groos Point Blank? great movie and has a scene that is exactly that). Yet another possibility is that she just froze up with shock and terror at the sound of the shotgun blast so near her (she's only a little girl after all).
Being a wannabe superhero, I'd expect DarHar to see innocence in youth until proven otherwise.
Slacker
@All: Sorry about the lack of an IC post. Just noticed that it's been nearly two weeks (an entire Combat Round) since I last did one. It's just been hectic lately. I'm going to try to work something up later today if I can find the time.

I've gone ahead and rolled Initiative for Tempty and Zelda to keep things going. So here's the new Initiative:

Bruce: 15
DarHar: 15

Tempty: 13

Taku: 11

Maddie: 10
Zelda: 10 (no actions until the third Pass)

Jack: 9
Johnny: 9
Rydell: 9

Angie: 8
Catcher: 8
Wanda: 8
Crosshairs: 8

Louis: 7

No more sound is coming from the direction Bruce was last known to be.

@netlich: Looks like you're up again.
gobogen
When Taku's turn comes, he'll walk around the counter and towards the front of the store. Complex action: lost due to full defense in last pass.
Slacker
@gobogen: You're not going to chase the ninja-esque Bruce into the darkened stock area?......
Probably a smart move, hehe.
gobogen
I've tried what I could.. I can't do anything anymore. He seems as skilled as Taku (go figure how he's that good? .. scary) but he is not injured and I have no reason to want to do him any harm. Crazy ninja weirdo going to the conveniance store. pfff nyahnyah.gif
Slacker
Well, you consider yourself quite skilled and you're going to the conveniance store?
Besides he just stopped in to you the restroom and then somebody tried playing a prank on him by turning off all the lights while he was still in there.

(Did I forget to mention a distinctive smell coming off of him? wobble.gif )
Slacker
@gobogen: Actually, I am finally working up an IC post for the last Combat Turn, and you sacrificed the Complex Action for the second Initiative Pass to go on defense. You will have actions during this Initiative Pass, once it is your turn.
I must have forgotten to ask you about any movement during that pass though. Did you want me to go ahead and say you moved around the counter in the last Combat Turn?
Slacker
I've just posted everything (i think) for the last Combat Turn in the IC thread. If you notice anything I forgot, speakup. I was working on it on and off between doing work related stuff so I may have forgotten something in there.
gobogen
From Taku's point of view the fight is pretty much over. He'll walk towards the front door keeping an eye on where Bruce left. He'll also pick up his pistol (dunno where it is anymore, did he have it all along?) on his way.
netlich
Ok the troll has knowledge 4 in both gang turfs and gang colors/id - could he roll anything to understand which gang was Catcher leader or team-leader of? And what does he roll?

He moves carfeully now inside while still keeping an eye to what Catcher's bike is doing...As soon as the light seems to be coming back towards the shop he starts taking aims...Although at the moment he will change ammo to explosives in his Predator, and reload the Viper with flechette. If something occurs in the mean time as these reloads will take a few phases I will let you know what to change...

Slacker
@gobogen: That point of view would be accurate, just tieing up loose ends. If you are just walking you'll get to about I-16 when it is your turn this pass.
You actually never had to drop your pistol, so it is still in your hand.

@netlich: By the way, the image of the naked troll is still there and now it is locked in place, so whereever you look you see it (-1 on all rolls involved with having to see something-i.e. shooting at something, melee, seeing somebody walk in front of you).
You could turn off your smartlink to get rid of it, but since that would be a bigger reduction, I doubt you will. Alternatively, you could reboot your commlink and it should be cleared. Or if you had a hacker buddy, they could take care of it for you.
Not sure who it was, but somebody else already rolled to identify the symbol on the coats of a couple of the gangers. I'll just go ahead and tell you without you needing to roll. They are a small time go-gang called the Chiller Thrillers. I'll even add that this is actually the first time (and likely the last) you've heard of them venturing outside the barrens.
To get closer to your target, I had you about 10-15m outside the store. Walking you get about half way there. Running you could make it all the way in, but I'd want you to roll an athletics test because that naked troll makes it rather difficult for you to see where you are going. smile.gif
If you want to spend a Simple Action to Observe in Detail (+3 dice), I'll let you roll Perception. I'll even skip over the modifiers you are suffering outside, so you can roll a whole 3 dice on the test.
The reloading actions you've mentioned would take quite a while, even more so if you did them in the order you stated. First you'd use a Simple Action to holster the Viper Slivergun. Then a Simple Action to draw the Predator. Then a Free Action to eject the clip (a Simple Action if you want to eject the clip and put it away-otherwise it falls to the ground). Then a Simple Action to pop in the new clip. Then a Simple Action to holster the Predator. Then a Simple Action to draw your Slivergun again. Then a Free Action to eject that clip (Simple Action if you actually wanted to keep the clip). Then a Simple Action to pop in the new clip for it.....
That is what? at least 3 Initiative Passes I believe.

@Shalimar: You can go ahead and post actions for Tempty.
netlich
"You go away now! I knows you fake!" cries DarHar as he goes through the process of reloading and chaning ammo meticulously. The troll shakes his head left and right as if a bee was bothering him making annoyed sounds at the same time...

(Yeah , not much to do so I will go ahead and reload and slowly go back to ensure the remaining people in there are all good guys...I t will take sometime for him to sink in that it is an image imposed on his smartlink - he has managed to consider it fake and not a ghost so he has already done too much for his simple brain)

EDIT:

[ Spoiler ]

Soz, I just noticed th epart about perception so add one simple action there to see what he notices about Catcher...A whooping 3 successes !DarHar-eagle-eye does it again!
Slacker
@netlich: Excellent roll, you definitely notice that the bikes headlight is getting brighter, and rather quickly at that. In other words, Catcher is speeding his way straight towards you at a rather rapid pace. You even hear him cackling over the sound of the motorcycle's engine.
Shalimar
"Anyone have a target or are we clear to get out of here?" Tempty sends to her teammates via commlink. "Stay down for a few more ticks and the gangers will be gone, I suggest you vanish too before the Star shows up." tells the pair she is covering.

Tempty will fire on anyone who acts threatening to her or the team, but otherwise she is staying put to wait on a call for help or an all clear.
Slacker
Ok, and gobogen has already said that he is coming around the counter. So on to Maddie's turn.

With her attention divided between VR and RL, Maddie haltingly runs to the door. A couple times she seems to trip over her own feet, but she keeps going and doesn't fall. As she runs through the doorway she does stumble into the broken glass and messes up her right arm quite a bit, but she keeps going.
Tempty and Taku both see her exit the store, pause just outside and then turn to the right.
At the sound of broken glass being stepped on and tearing through cloth, DarHar turns to see what's coming up behind him, but with the damn image in front of him he can't see anybody there.

Zelda is still involved with some matrix activities.

Jack nods his head at Tempty after a startled glance towards the door.

Johnny is trying to stay quiet and pry Wanda fingers from his arm, as she is maintaining something of a deathgrip on him while fainted.

Rydell calls over the comm, "I'm clear." And walks away from Louis to stand next to Tempty.

Angie glares at Tempty but doesn't make any other threatening move.

As should be readily apparent, Catcher driving his bike straight for DarHar.
@netlich, you need to roll Reaction + Dodge - wound modifiers and -1 for the glare of the bikes headlight, oh and -1 for the naked troll you see everywhere.

@BaronKen: You very distinctly hear the sound of a motorcycle's overactive engine approaching the front of the building. Go ahead and post whatever actions you want to do.
BaronKen
What kind of actions to work on cleaning the goop from my face? In any event, I should be able to walk, so I'll head towards O-25 to get clear of the debris (eventually making my way towards the store exit).
Slacker
@BaronKen: Actually, just behind Jack and Angie, you can spot some cleaning products including papertowels and such. You could walk over to them and take a Complex Action to clean enough of the goop off to remove the penalty.
BaronKen
Crosshairs will hold position and delay actions until I see what Jack and Angie are up to. I'm not sure Jack would be too friendly with me sneaking up behind them considering I've fired at him twice.
BaronKen
Anyone wanna give me some feedback on my attempt at doing a Flash SR4 Dice Roller? It's not anywhere near complete yet, but it's a good start I think. Thanks. smile.gif
Slacker
Actually, I was just looking it over. It looks pretty good. I'm looking forward to seeing it once you've add more features.
Slacker
Update: Currently I'm waiting on a defense roll from netlich. Since Catcher trying to run him down is pretty much the gang's last hoorah so-to-speak I figured I go ahead and have him actually roll for DarHar.
Those of you inside are quickly becoming of the motorcycle's roar approaching the front door. Seeing how Catcher is insanely coming straight in at top speed, his ability to stop the bike before crashing into the store is certainly in question (and that is only if he makes it through the troll) .
netlich
Soz for the delay gang...

[ Spoiler ]

Ouch, only one success...What's next boss? Splat!?!?!
Slacker
Yep, looks like you just got your ass rammed by a motorbike. Fairly hard too. Roll your damage resistance test using Impact armor. With how many dice you roll, there is still a good chance you won't take any damage.

Anyways, if you had rolled better on your defense I was going to just have him stopped dead by your mass. But as it was, he lost control of the bike....(rolling for scatter to see where it goes)....oh...it just narrowly misses Maddie as she is escaping the building, and hits the wall next to the entrance. The bike spins a bit on impact and is flung back into the Stuffer Shack. Clipping the counterp top across from Jack and Angie, he lands in a bloody heap at Tempty's feet. Amazingly, he seems to still be alive and...giggling.

WIth the loud crashing sounds at the front of the store and the more frightening Rydell, who had successfully intimidated him, Louis starts crying and calling out for his mommy. Telling her how the shadowrunners were picking on him.
Too bad for him she's already dead and he's just another orphan in the sprawl.
In the chaos of the fight he forgot where he'd last seen her, but he soon notices her crumpled corpse at the end of the aisle. Rushing over there he starts shaking her and pleading for her to wake up.

No more sounds or attacks are coming from where Bruce was last seen.....actually, nevermind. The sound of a door opening and closing can be heard at the back of the store.

@nelich: Looks like DarHar's turn as soon as you post the damage resistance roll, you can post your actions. The bike is at the entrance leaking fuel, but it hasn't caught on fire or anything like that.
netlich
[ Spoiler ]

8 Hits; provided I am still alive, I will continue walking back inside and changing ammo/reloading ammo (the Viper & the Predator).
Slacker
@netlich: As a matter of fact, 8 hits was exactly the damage you were resisting, so you completely shrug off a motorcycle hitting head on going 80+ kpm. Way to go.

@Shalimar: Looks like you're up. Catcher is struggling to get up from the floor right at your feet.
Shalimar
Do you even have to ask spin.gif

two shots, the first one is aimed for the forehead. What would the modifiers all be?
Slacker
@shalimar: Well, maybe at the sight of the pitiful metahuman your tender side would come out. No?
I figured as much. Let's see, suffice it to say you are at close range so no penalty there. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I am pretty sure you aren't suffering a wound modifier. In the fight with Bruce, you had gotten goop splashed on you again so you are suffering -2 from that. But you've got smartlink giving you +2 so that is negated.
So it looks like you will be only suffering whatever called shot penalty you choose. If you choose to bypass his armor with the called shot, you'll suffer a -8. If you choose to instead increase the damage value by +4 (statistically a far better choice since it averages using of 12 of his dice while give you an average of a little over 1 additional success), you'll only suffer a -4.
Shalimar
15 - 8 = 7
[ Spoiler ]

3 hits (ignoring armor)

14 Dice
[ Spoiler ]

4 hits

with all his wound penalties, he shouldn't really be able to dodge it, and if it hits, it should hopefully put him out, or close to it. The second one should finish it.
Slacker
Catcher's mad cackling is cut short as the first bullet lodges itself within the frontal lobe of his brain. (He just took 6P damage, more than enough to kill him; incidentally if you had instead used your called shot to increase the damage +4, you would have done 11P damage based on the rolls he would have gotten.)

If you want to still fire the second shot, that is fine. You'd just be spraying yourself with more blood.

That is pretty much it for this scenario. As DarHar is walking in the door, Tempty and Taku look up and notice the tale-tell flashing lights of a Lone Star drone approaching the store. It seems a passing drone caught sight of the motorcycle crash.

I'm not going to force you guys to stay in intiative or even worry about trying to escape from the 'Star. You can go ahead and post any actions you want to do while still in the store and then you can all escape out the back.
Louis is bawling over his dead mother trying to 'wake' her. Jack and Angie watch you warily, but take no actions against you. As you head through the back you find Wanda passed out on the floor and no sign of Johnny. Nor is there any sign of Bruce either in the stock room or in the alley behind the store.

Being a forum based bame that takes quite a while to play through each mission I tend to issue lots of Karma for each run. Case in point, you all get 18 karma! biggrin.gif

When I have more time I will post something IC and then we can discuss where we go from here.
Shalimar
Nah, wont waste any more bullets, I'll just head out.
netlich
DarHar will move a bit more hastily now, changing ammo while walking in the back...

He will thank the runners saying something along the lines, "You did good today. You need more good doing - DarHar will help!" and then dissappear in the back to change back into his alter-ego!

Of course with the wounds he is suffering (and his huge ugly mug of a face) it isn't difficult to put two and two together - especially since there are no other trolls around! He will try and collect his groceries(he left them in the back) , and make a call to his Lone Star contact informing him of another evil scheme that was disrupted! Then he will remember and go go back trying to track down one of the runners and give them his phone number in case they need Good-Doing again! Of course he will have forgotten to wear his cape&maskat which point his intellect will give up on him and he will stand there embarressed! (The colour his skin takes while embarressed is up for debate as his coloured dermal Plating plus the reddish tint of embarresment plus his warts and Trollish colours make for an interesting mix!)

EDIT:
How does Karma work in 4th edition? I definetely need some Edge points. And then I need to get me some Agility, Perception and perhaps Dodge and Hand to Hand as a long term approach...
Shalimar
Attributes cost 3 x New Rating
Active Skills cost 2 x New Rating
New Active Skill costs 4 Karma
Active Skill Groups cost 5 x New Rating
New Active skill group costs 10 Karma

That should cover everything you asked about

For Tempty, I am going to up her Body by 1 to Body 4 (12 Karma), and buy Perception, cause ouch, not seeing something coming can hurt like hell. Save the other 2 Karma.

I think one thing I picked up from this game so far was that just a pistol can be good, but something with more power like a shotgun or an assault rifle that I can blaze away with on BF or FA would be more reliable. The other thing is that recoil penalties are a pain.

If we do continue with this, I think I'd have Tempty perform surgery on her pistols with her Armorer (Fire Arms) 7/9 to add weights to the barrels, or customize the grip or something to remove the -1 for a second shot, I think that should be covered by the skill. I'd also want to pick up an armored Jacket, now that I can afford to wear one without penalty.
gobogen
Yeah I agree that pistols can't compete with heavier weapons, and this was already the case to a certain extent in the previous edition, not to mention real life.

Taku will use the karma to raise his Edge attribute to 3 (this thing is more useful than I expected) and get perception up to 2 (I don't see why any runner would not have at least one point in this stat.. if only I had known at char creation). He has one karma left.

I'll post something IC at some point.
Slacker
Ok, I just posted IC (sorry for the delay, busy weekend).

What people have posted for spending of their karma looks good.

Going forward...

We seem to have lost Wintermancer so we are down one player, but, as long as you guys are willing to add the wannabe superhero DarHar to your team, we still have 5 players so that is enough I'd think.

BaronKen: If you would like you can go ahead and create a new character and tack on the karma. Or you can just continue using Crosshairs.

You guys may or may not remember that there was another player that had to drop out immediately after the initial IC post, before everybody had even entered the Stuffer Shack. At the time, I had posted that he got a commlink call that delayed him, but you haven't heard from him since.
If you are a close team of runners you may want to look into that (i.e. I have an adventure idea based on this and if you want to we can play out you looking for him. If not we can go on a more traditional run where you get a call from your fixer and off you go).

With Food Fight being what it is (straight combat), there hasn't been much opportunity for you guys to post IC, but I'd like to see that change. Going forward I'll probably be awarding weekly/bi-weekly karma bonuses for frequency/quality of posts. It will only be a point or two, but it will allow you to improve yourself more often.
Of course, this will require me to make IC posts more often instead of slacking off and waiting to make huge posts when I notice how far behind I am. We'll see how it works out.

Do any of you have any comments for me as the GM as far as what you liked or disliked about the scenario/how it was run/SR4 in general?
BaronKen
If no one objects to me continuing and making a new character, I would like to try to add some magic to the group (well, more magic if you count the missing Mystic Adept). I'll get to work on the character ASAP.

I have no problem with the Search For The Missing 'Runner (dun, dun, dun, *cymbals clash*). biggrin.gif
Shalimar
I'm cool with the missing runner hook, and bringing in some more mana characters, but I am kind of wondering how Darhar will actually work out with a professional group of runners on runs, and just fit in in general.
gobogen
Sorry, won't be able to post until a week from now. Will check regularly, maybe I'll find time for quick posts now and then but don't count on active participation from my part during the next seven days.
netlich
Well the idea is that,

a) DarHar can be gullible and can be easily convinced he is doing something good (he hates corps so 80% runs will be "good-doing" for him) . So the chance of him ruinning a job on purpose is zero
b) Although mentally lacking, he has still survived on the street. He does have some intuition and quick thinking somewhere in the back of his thick skull. And he can follow orders so he can be a useful tool (I don't mind playing that type of follower type instead of a priomary character).
c) He could also provide some comical relief in situations.

On the other hand if the group is being played as Ice cold pro runners they would probably have a serious problem with such a character joinning their pack...

Perhaps an in between solution where Darhar is used as a resource but is not part of the group (until he proves himself wink.gif )

But as I did say early on with Slacker, if push comes to shove I can simply make a new character if we are worried on how well he will work with the team. I have absolutely no problems. SO what do the rest of you guys think?
netlich
Hey! what's up!

It' s my luck ain't it?

I manage to get the PDF finally! I am reading the rules now but

a) the game ended.

b) Nobody seems to eager to continue!!!!

Come on!!! I promise I won't play the stupid troll superhero character! smile.gif

Slacker
Sorry, just been busy with holiday related activities. With gobogen saying he wouldn't be able to post anything for through at least yesterday, I thought it might be a good idea to take a short break.

I do still want to continue the game though. As far as you playing DarHar goes, it's up to the group to decide. The follow up mission isn't going to need a strictly professional member of the group seeing as how you'll be looking for your lost comrade and not being hired as professionals, but I could certainly see how the runners might try to avoid somebody that attracts alot of attention.

Netlich, I'm fine with you bringing in another character if that is what the group wants. Just send him to me (standard build rules plus the 18 karma).
Cold-Dragon
*slides in from the outside and knocks on the inside of the door frame for attention* Um...is this the Lollipop Guild?

Okay, that was silly, but I scanned a couple posts and noted things look like they're at a calm moment. I was wondering...well, presses fingers together for a moment If there might be a way to join in? I've wanted to play online, and since skill groups were mentioned, you are more than likely using SR4...

I'll even read back as far as you want me to if need be. ^-^;
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012