Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: SR4-First Run
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
netlich
"I smells trouble..." mumbles DarHar as he sidesteps the Spirit - trying to keep his front side to all combatants (Bruce, Spirit and Catcher ) - I walk to E15 turning so as to have my back towards Wanda...

Now depending on whether I will suffer any modifiers to shoot Catcher (whilst I am in mellee) or I cannot actually have my front facing both himself and the Spirit I will either shoot him or the Spirit...

Now on to defenses:

Against Mr Nick...

[ Spoiler ]

4 successes - I have left 6 dice seperately cause I aint sure which modifiers apply (light conditons, wound and confusion spell)

Against the spirit
[ Spoiler ]

Again I have them separately just in case I don't get the negative modifiers that I considered - otherwise only twosuccesses getting me in trouble :
Defense:
[ Spoiler ]

Damn only 7 successes!

And my two attacks both against Cathcer or if not possible (as I mention above) then against the spirit :
[ Spoiler ]

Nothing : twosuccesses on the first , one on the second...won't even wound Catcher I think frown.gif

BaronKen
Extra dice:
2, 6
1 hit

As for noticing the lights flickering on, yea I was watching that closely, hehe, since it changed my visibility modifier from -6 to 0. sarcastic.gif
Slacker
@netlich: You were right about the modifiers you would suffer when defending against Mr. Nick. One thing though, you don't get to add Dodge dice to the roll unless you are using Full Defense (losing a Complex Action).
You still got 1 success though, so you were able to evade the attack.
With the modifiers you were suffering, you only got 2 successes against the Spirit, which means the DV of the attack was 6P.
On rolls to resist damage, there isn't anything that modifies the roll, not even wounds. So you would have had one more die to roll, but it doesn't matter since you've already gotten enough successes to completely soak the damage.
Attacking Catcher while still in melee with the Spirit means you would have also been suffering a -3 modifier on both those shots. Also, you are suffering a -1 from range. So you only got 1 success on each of those shots.
Catcher rolled well and got 2 successes to defend against both shots.

@BaronKen: Ok, you got 1 success on the Perception test and were able avoid the critical glitch.
You don't even have to bother rolling to defend yourself because without the critical glitch upping the damage on the attack, you've already rolled enough to soak all of the damage.

After seeing Jack's theatrics, SlicerDicer ran down the aisl in persuit. As he reached the middle aisle, he saw Crosshairs weilding a pistol. He instantly forgot about Jack and Angie, as he charged towards Crosshairs. Rolling rather pathetically, he only gets 1 success.

Time for Tempty's turn.
Shalimar
umm, should Slicer Dicer be in Tempty's line of sight since he charged at crosshairs down the middle isle? if so, Tempty will walk down the middle Isle towards Crosshairs and Slicer Dicer, and fire her gun at the guy's back twice, aiming at his head and neck to bypass any armor he is wearing.

No clue on penalties or any modifiers.
BaronKen
Defense against SlicerDicer:
[ Spoiler ]

Heh, wounded modifier applying to everything but resistance sucks nyahnyah.gif
Slacker
@BaronKen: You easily avoided SlicerDicer's attack.

@Shalimar: Yeah, sorry about that. Just got home and hadn't had the chance to update the map until now.
As you can see, he is straight ahead of you. You only got 3 1/3 meters of movement since you were walking so if you had wanted to stay behind cover you would've had to stay back where you already were basically.
As far as your modifiers go; you currently still have your cybereyes set to using thermographic vision (-2 modifier); you're at Medium Range with your pistol (-1 modifier); for the called shot you would be bypassing Ballistic armor 8 (-8 modifier); and your second shot would have a -1 from recoil.
Keep in mind that you only get 1 Free Action per pass. It takes a Free Action to switch vision mode. It also takes a Free Action to do a Called Shot.
So if you wanted to switch to using Low-Light vision, you couldn't make a Called Shot. If you keep using thermographic vision, you can still only make 1 Called Shot.
Just as I have been doing with the players, I gave him a chance to notice you're moving towards him and he did succeed. So he does get the chance to defend against your attacks.

@Whizbang: Guess I could go ahead and tell you what Maddie is doing since it won't have any affect in the real world. As I am sure you expected, she sends out her miniature Link, once more weilding the black boomerang. She got 4 successes. So roll your defense (Response + Stealth - wound modifiers).
You can also go ahead and give me Zelda's actions.

@gobogen: You can go ahead and post actions for Taku.
Whizbang
Guess I might want to hold off on the attack incase I pick up any more wound modifiers...

[ Spoiler ]
Shalimar
I probably should have stated that I would use my free action from last pass to switch, but it didn't occur to me til now, and I am not sure when I am allowed to take the free action regardless. Would my having 4 successes on an infiltration test as my complex action last pass do anything to his chances of noticing me?

free action to go to low light

Roll 1 16 Dice
[ Spoiler ]

8 hits

roll 2 15 dice
[ Spoiler ]

9 hits
Slacker
@Whizbang: Ok, she got 1 more success than you did so the DV is 5P. Roll Willpower + biofeedback.

@shalimar: As soon as you started movement that was not part of your attempt at infiltration, you were no long gaining the benefit of it.
He got 2 successes to defend against the first shot, so the DV is upped to 11P! He rolls well and gets 8 successes to soak the damage. So he takes 3 boxes of damage.
For the second shot he is down to only 1 die for defense, and he gets 1 success with it. That means the DV is 13P!!! Ouch, guess he needs to use his last point of Edge. Rerolling failed dice, he gets a whopping 10 successes, and takes another 3 boxes of damage.
Whizbang
My luck returns. smile.gif

[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
@Whizbang: Ok, you were able to resist all of the damage. I take it you are attacking her now that it is your turn.

@All: With the start of Zelda's second pass, the lights have come on completely, so no more vision modifiers (except of course people with goop on their faces).
BaronKen
Silent cheer for Zelda! notworthy.gif
Whizbang
Yep. next attack. Too bad 6s don't explode anymore without Edge.

[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
@Whizbang: She only got 3 successes on her defense, so you hit her with a DV 6 attack. She got 5 successes, so she only takes 1 boxes of Matrix damage.
Slacker
I just made an IC post. Currently, I am waiting on actions from gobogen for Taku this initiative pass.
gobogen
Taku is going to run down the central aisle getting away from the annoying kid and avoiding the stuff on the floor, going around it. All the while he shoots at Slicer Dicer in his back.

[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
@gobogen: You still have the stuff all over your face and hands, so you are suffering a -2 visibility modifier. Also, running gives you another -2 modifier, and there is just no way for you to avoid all of the difficult ground if you run forward; normally it would be a -2 for running over difficult terrain, but I'll give you only a -1 because you avoid some of it.
With those modifiers in mind you only got 3 successes on the first shot and 2 on the second shot. You'll also be making enough noise that SlicerDicer easily notices your approach and is able to defend. He's already defend against two shots from Tempty so it will be quite difficult for him though.....actually with his injuries he's only got 1 die for the first defense and none for the second.
He does get a success againsts the first shot. So both shots are at 7 DV.
He got 5 successes to resist the damage of the first shot and a lucky 7 on the second shot. So he took 2 more boxes of damage and is now looking very close to passing out from blood loss

@BaronKen: Time for Crosshairs actions.
BaronKen
Crosshairs went on Full Defense after his last action when Angie shot at him so his action is used up this pass (still on Full Defense though, right?).
gobogen
Thanks for reminding me of all the modifiers .. Forgot about the stuff in his face and didn't really know about running modifiers.

Could you tell me what's the nearest place in the store where Taku could find clothes, or towels, or tissues or paper or anything he can wipe his face with?
Slacker
@BaronKen: Oh yeah... I made a note of that to myself, but I forgot to look at my notes. You can still move though.
About the Full Defense, I am unsure. I really don't like the idea of it continuing, because theoretically that you could basically get the benefit of Full Defense for two whole Initiative Passes along with regular actions for one of those passes (If you are first in initiative, you take your regular actions then go on Full defense sacrificing your next Pass, but you would have the benefit of Full defense for the entire first two Passes.).
I'm going to say it lasts only until the same point in the Initiative order as when you started using Full Defense, that way you only get it's benefit from any one attacker once.

@gobogen: Actually, before your movement you were right next to the clothes aisle, but since you ran forward the closest thing would probably be on the aisle where Jack and Angie are currently.
That reminds me, just where did you want to run to anyways? Running, you had enough movement that you could be right next to SlicerDicer if you wanted to.

@Wintermancer: Guess your turn is up now since Crosshairs can only do movement.

edit:@netlich: Catcher is going to return the favor and shoot right back at you. Also he mumbles something under his breadth, give me a perception test if you want a chance of knowing what he said.
He's going to do a called shot to up the DV by +4. He only gets 2 successes. Unfortunately, I believe the modifiers you are suffering reduce your reaction to negative (-3 for being in Melee, -3 from confusion, -1 for previous defense against the spirit, and -1 for wounds).
So you can either go on Full Defense, sacrificing an action, or simply roll to resist 12P damage with -2 AP.

Actually, I've been thinking about it and I just don't see Catcher sticking around without some cover between him and a troll that is strong enough to ignore the melee attacks from a spirit beast to shoot at Catcher. Instead he leaps over the couter and head ducks down on the other side of the counter.
Wintermancer
Well, I'm going to head back toward the center of the aisles, where Taku and Tempty are. Can't see anything from here so there's really nothing I can do except move, unless I'm tall enough to see over these shelves (ie, corner gas station style mid-chest shelves instead of high grocery store type shelves)?

Winter
Slacker
@Wintermancer: If you ran you could get into the middle aisle and shoot at SlicerDicer if you want.
The aisles are like 7-8 feet tall so I don't see you being able to see over them. You could climb up one if you wanted to.
gobogen
My intent was to get close enough to him to finish him off in melee combat. I would stop at a close distance from him (10 feet maybe).
BaronKen
Crosshairs is remaining there for now.
Slacker
I was going to wait to see if Wintermancer wanted to have Rydell run into the middle aisle and shoot SlicerDicer. But since that shouldn'r effect the first few actions of the third pass, I guess we can go ahead and start up the third Initiative Pass.

@netlich: Looking at DarHar and the Spirit, Bruce says something like "Look's like you've got this under control."
He then dashes off making a bee-line for Tempty. You get a free melee attack against him if you like. If you are successful in injuring him, his movement will be stopped.
Then you can take your actions.
netlich
As soon as the troll glances at Tempty's back his small mind clicks in place..."No hurt dem! Dem good...Hurt dose guyz!" he yells at Bruce pointing towards Catcher and Spike. With his left hand pointing at the two gangers his right lets loose another salvo from his Viper.

I figured that this is not a hard thing for the daft superhero to mull over...At the same time he keeps backpedalling trying to reach some meager cover from Catcher going to F15 and depending on how much he can walk backwards he will keep moving towards I15 but won'tt come out of the corner. Is that black line a wall (not the counter the vertical black line F16-I16?

Attacks:
[ Spoiler ]

5 successes and One success...

If I see Tempty not realising Bruce 's after her (or so DarHar thinks anyway) he yells to her (when it is appropriate in his turn to do so), "Runner woman! Look out!"
Slacker
@netlich: You failed to say just who/what you were shooting at. Catcher is crouched down to the point where he has very good cover from you. Even Spike has some cover because of the counter between you and him.
The line going from F16-I16 that is connected to the counter is not a full wall, it is a half wall a little bit taller than the countertop.
Also, as you stepped away from the spirit it gets a free attack on you, getting 4 successes. If he's able to stop your movement by damaging you, then you will also be suffering a -3 from using ranged attack while in melee.

Since DarHar didn't take the opportunity to intercept Bruce's movement, he runs straight for Tempty. For a second it looks like he's about to run straight into the counter, but at the last second he does a front handspring over the countertop, landing perfectly balanced. Without stopping even for a heartbeat, he continues running towards Tempty. He gets to L17 or so about 6m away from Tempty.
Slacker
Just heard from Wintermancer. Rydell did in fact run into the middle aisle and shoot at SlicerDicer twice, getting 1 success on the first shot and two on the second shot.
He's already defended against so many shots that he doesn't have any dice to roll for defense, so he simply rolls to resist damage. Getting 5 successes on both. Which means he took 1 box of damage from the first shot and 2 from the second shot.
And he is now bleeding to death on the ground. Congrats, Wintermancer, you got your revenge.
netlich
Oops- sorry I am shooting at the spirit...Also if I crouch down behind this half-wall will I be covered completely or will most of my big frame ve still visible?

Ok here's my defense on the spirit (by default I will be putting the reach modifier as a penalty on his rolls unless I say otherwise)
[ Spoiler ]

4 successes there and the defense in case it is needed (do I completely block it with 4 ? or do I need to roll more?):
[ Spoiler ]

7 successes....

Oh- don't forget I yell to Tempty about the wierd man approaching her when I get another free action (I already said some things to Bruce this turn so I don't know how much you can speak...)

And another quick question as I still don't have the book (good news is it is on its way!!! No more pestering netlich questions soon!!!):
IS there anything I can do to roll more dice in hand to hand? A called shot for example or some fancy move that would give me a chance to smite the creature hard with my claws? My mellee should have a better chance to break his defenses due to a higher damage value but I don't have as many dice as my shooting so I am at a dead end with this...thing!

Slacker
@netlich: Matching its number of successes means you completely defended yourself.
As far as adding dice to your melee attack goes there are a few things that can add dice, but the only one you would really be able to use in the forseeable future would be +2 for charging. Since gravity doesn't apply to the spirit you can't knock him prone to get +3, although the team isn't against you they aren't there helping in the fight so you can't get the bonus dice for friends in melee, And gettting a superior position (+2) would be short lived at best since the spirit can just float up to the same height.
Being a troll you really don't have a chance of being able to duck behind the counter to have cover, you'd have to go completely prone, which is a bad thing with the spirit still around. You do have cover though.
Of course your movement has taken you out af a good view of the spirit now (there's a solid wall between you and him giving him Good cover which means you suffer a -4 on your shots).
Combine that with the -1 from you firing from cover and you only got 2 successes on the first shot and none on the second. The spirit easily evades the first shot, getting 5 successes.
Don't have time to update the map right now, I'll do that tonight.
Slacker
@Shalimar: You can go ahead and give me Tempty's actions.
Even before DarHar shouted a warning to you, you could already tell that Bruce was charging towards you.

@Whizbang: In the Matrix, a scroll pops up in front of Maddie's icon. As the scroll disappears, she pulls back her cloack and out comes the boomerang weilding Link, getting 4 successes.
As the miniature Link returns to beneath her cloack, she pulls out an ocarina and plays a brief tune.
Zelda is a little surprised by the fact that she's programmed her persona to display such things, but she would guess that the scroll meant she was receiving a message and the ocarina was sending a message.
Whizbang
[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
@Whizbang: Ok you successfully evaded her attack.
However, with the help of Edge she did the same to your attack.

@All: Once Shalimar posts actions for Tempty it will be time for a new Combat Turn. So everybody can go ahead and post their new Initiative rolls.
Whizbang
[ Spoiler ]
Shalimar
Tempty will call out "Geek the Gangers, only hurt the customers if they come at you! Stay down and don't get in the way, you'll just catch a case of the deads." obviouslly she is calling it out for the benifit of the customers and not her team since they are commlinked.

does that count as her free action?

She'll run to P19, and as far down row 19 as she can get, Don't know if there is any kind of check for that

Initiative 10 dice
[ Spoiler ]

5 hits, 15
Slacker
@Tempty: Ok, it does take a free action to shout that out, unless you were trying to be intimidating, in which case it would be a Complex Action. Running, you can get to about M19. I'll update the map when I get home from work.
Keep in mind, any customers in the store actually have no idea who the gangers are versus who the runners are, I believe the only ganger that had any obvious gang sign was zany and she's dead. All they know is that there are alot of people shooting guns everywhich way.
BaronKen
[ Spoiler ]

Initiative 8
Slacker
Whoa...the dice roller is not liking the gangers, with only a couple of excpetions all the NPC's rolled very very poorly.
Hell....the fat kid Louis is going before both Catcher and Spike now that is pretty damn sad.
Shalimar
I'd figure everyone would assume Catcher was one, but, didn't you say they were wearing armored jackets with the gang symbols though?

I'll run to M19, wasn't trying to intimidate
Slacker
I said they were wearing armored jackets, yes. But not all of them have the gang symbol. I believe I only mentioned Zany having it on hers.

Actually, now that I look at scenario, I see that both Catcher and Spike also have the symbol on theirs.

SlicerDicer had a Japanese bushi tunic over his armored coat, Static had a circuitry pattern on his long coat, Wiley had a fur-lined coat, Maddie isn't wearing a coat, Bruce is wearing a black longcoat, Jack is wearing a white leather vest with fringe, Angie is wearing a skin-tight black leather jumpsuit with 40+ zippers, and so on.

So I guess it is easy to pick out that Catcher and Spike are part of the gang, but at least half the gang had no identifying mark whatsoever.
BaronKen
Which leaves Crosshairs wondering what to do about Jack and Angie as they have both tried to hurt him. Can't tell whether they are gangers or not.
Slacker
That is the idea biggrin.gif

By the way, Jack hasn't tried to hurt you yet, you shot the gun out of his hand before he could. hehe.
gobogen
Init 9 - 1 for being injured.

[ Spoiler ]

Init 11
BaronKen
QUOTE (gobogen)
Init 9 - 1 for being injured.

The way I read it, you subtract your wound modifier after you roll your initiative test.

[ Spoiler ]

Anyone else agree?
Slacker
Ok, on the subject of Initiative and damage modifiers.....

There has been some confusion on this and I think I've been consistent in what I've told people to roll.
I just reread the rules to be certain of this and I believe BaronKen has it right. It says the wound modifier is applied to your Initiative Score (Initiative Score being equal to Initiative Attribute + successes).

So the correct way to roll Initiative is that you are always rolling the same number of dice and you subtract your wound modifiers from the total.
netlich
[ Spoiler ]

I guess I will just join the gangers this time - 3 successes for a total of 14. And -1 for wounds? (I got 4 boxes of damage)...

Now depending on whether the spirit acts first or I do I will probably rush towards Bruce shooting him in the back... If the spirit plays first though its one of the same-ol' "roll in case I score"...This time though (if I am shooting the spirit and not Bruce) I will aim my first shot and then shoot it - how much dice does that add?
gobogen
one more die rolled. It was a 6. Init 12. Thanks Baron smile.gif
BaronKen
QUOTE (netlich)
...I will aim my first shot and then shoot it - how much dice does that add?

Each time you do a Take Aim it adds +1 to your dice pool (unless you do something between Take Aims). Also note that Take Aim is a Simple Action so you won't get 2 shots off if you Take Aim.
[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
Ok, I was going to wait for Wintermancer to post an Initiative score for Rydell, but I think I'll just roll for her and keep the game moving along.

Initiative Order for the new Combat Round:

Bruce: 17

Tempty: 15

DarHar: 13
Spirit: 13

Taku: 12

Zelda: 11

Maddie: 10
Rydell: 10

Louis: 8
Crosshairs: 8

Catcher: 7
Johnny: 7
Wanda: 7
Jack: 7
Angie: 7

Spike: 6

So I guess Bruce is up first. His forward rush falters as Tempty moves away and shouts out. He glances back to behind him and then to where Tempty headed around the corner.
After a moment of thought, he vaults up to the top of the shelves between him and Tempty to get a bird's eye view of the situation.

@Shalimar: Time for Tempty's actions.

By the way, sorry for the lack of an IC post this week. I've been busy and haven't had the time or the energy to work on one. I'll probably be able to work one up either tomorrow or Saturday.
Shalimar
Ok, thats twice that Bruce has come after Tempty, after being warned, time to die.

Called Shot to make it hurt (-4 dice, Damage value +4)
17 dice - 4 = 13
[ Spoiler ]

shot 2
17 dice - 1 = 16
[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012