Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Augmentation Q&A
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
jklst14
Dancer: Here's Clockwork's quote from Augmentation (page 56).

Talking about oddities—heard of those four-armed changelings that appeared when the Ganges Awakened in ´61? From what my contacts told me, Swiss bio-gadgeteers are still trying to find out how to copy the physiology and functionality of those Shiva arms. I wonder how long it will be until four-armed corporate stormtroopers
are trying to kick my ass.

Hobgoblin: I was answering Kyrn's question from further up the page but you're right, Gibson's Molly did work as a meat puppet in order to save up the cash for her cyber.

Rotbart van Dainig
Does the Print Removel Genetech really removes any patterns, or just the distinctive forms used for ID?
Completly smooth skin would be quite a disadvantage because it would result in reduced grip and of course, if the user is ever officially IDed, he will go straight to jail.
Kyrn
QUOTE (jklst14)
1.  The girl from Hardwired is Sarah.  Awesome book by the way.  Captured the flavor of rigging better than anything else I've read.

Aha! That's her name. Yeah, great book for rigging, skillwires, and the interactions between various echelons of street grunts, as well as what a war between truly powerful "shadow" factions would be like.

Anybody got an idea on the Blood Circuit Control System/Trauma Damper interaction?
Aaron
QUOTE (Dancer)
QUOTE (jklst14 @ Jul 28 2007, 01:49 PM)
2.  Not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but the fluff implies that the (meta)human mind can't handle > 2 cyberarms (page 56, Clockwork's comments).

This seems odd, considering the variety of weird drone shapes it can jack into without problems.

There's also modern scientific evidence to the contrary. Um ... lemme see ... meh, I'm feeling lazy; no links for you.
Dancer
QUOTE (Aaron)
There's also modern scientific evidence to the contrary. Um ... lemme see ... meh, I'm feeling lazy; no links for you.

Are you thinking of the three-armed chimps? (I don't have a link either)
Kyrn
No, probably those four armed hookers in Calcutta. Nah, no link.
jklst14
QUOTE (Aaron)

I was just quoting the rule book but I actually agree with you guys. The human brain is remarkably adaptable and if you really had 4 cyberarms, your brain would probably eventually remap your motor and sensory cortices to accommodate. Heck, given the advanced neuroscience in Shadowrun, it would be easy for nanites to go in and just do it for you immediately.

jklst14
Some questions:

1. Is a Simsense Booster compatible with a technomancer's Overclocking?

2. Since Technomancers use certain tech skills "through mental gymnastics and an intuitive feel for the functioning of the machine world" (SR4, page 233), do they get bonuses to their Cracking/Electronics group skills from an Encephalon?
the_dunner
QUOTE (jmecha)
If Jack had his DNA scanned at the age of 21 and then gets Genetic Optimization treatment around the age of 42, and then gets Léonization at the age of 72......will Jack be reverted back to the 21 year old body that never had Genetic Optimization treatment?

This one goes back a couple of pages, so, the response is a bit delayed...

The answer is, of course, it depends. If Jack is a SINner and had all of his treatments done above board, then his medical records would include those modifications. As such, it'd be a fairly straightforward matter to have those modifications re-inserted into the DNA sequences used when he underwent Leonization. If, OTOH, Jack no longer has access to his medical records, then this would require a fresh set of analyses of his current DNA. If, for some reason, that couldn't be done, then yes, he'd lose them.

Mind you -- any facility capable of performing Leonization really should have the facilities necessary for this genetic analysis. The analysis would just add some time (and expenses) to the prep work before conducting the Leonization procedure.

Also, the question is somewhat moot. Leonization has been around since the 2050's. Geneware optimizations first started showing up in the '60s. It's improbable that there'd be many characters in the 2070s who deposited samples in the 20s, had those samples survive two matrix crashes, and also decided to undergo Optimization when he was in his sixties. Most folks in that age range would have opted to undergo Leonization at the same time as they had the Optimizations installed.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Dancer)
QUOTE (jklst14 @ Jul 28 2007, 01:49 PM)
2.  Not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but the fluff implies that the (meta)human mind can't handle > 2 cyberarms (page 56, Clockwork's comments).

This seems odd, considering the variety of weird drone shapes it can jack into without problems.

well that can (somewhat) be covered by the drone control being mapped onto normal senses.

i think it was rigger2 or 3 that had some neat stories about how riggers experienced being the machine.
Ravor
Ok, here's a question that comes up every now and again on the forums, how does slapping armor on your cyberlimbs work? Do they straight out stack so you can get +24 Armor just from your limbs/torso/cyberskull, or are they averaged somehow?

Also how do cyberhands fit into the equation? Does having armor on a cyberhand give you the same benifits as putting armor on a cyberarm or partial cyberarm? Do you still get +1 Physical Condition Box from having a cyberhand? How about a partial cyberarm?

-Thanks
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Ravor)
Ok, here's a question that comes up every now and again on the forums, how does slapping armor on your cyberlimbs work? Do they straight out stack so you can get +24 Armor just from your limbs/torso/cyberskull, or are they averaged somehow?

-Thanks

Ugh. As written, each one stacks together to form a complete whole. Maximizing the armor on every body part leaves you with 21 points of armor (4 per limb and torso, 1 for the head as it is all that will fit).

Also how do cyberhands fit into the equation? Does having armor on a cyberhand give you the same benifits as putting armor on a cyberarm or partial cyberarm?

Yes. But in this case it is because getting "1 Armor" on a cyberhand actually involves getting a crazy crap tonne more armor on that hand than does getting "1 Armor" on the whole arm. The Capacity costs for the armor are absolute, not proportional. So getting the same armor bonus from a smaller body area involves using up a higher proportion of the capacity - representing much thicker armor than getting the same +1 bonus from a larger area.

That doesn't really work at all for attribute enhancements (where the system nails you coming and going and cyberhands can't crush cans) - but for Armor in particular the system actually does what it is designed to do.

-Frank
Ravor
Ok, so it was indeed intended to allow walking tanks? Fair enough.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Ravor)
Ok, so it was indeed intended to allow walking tanks? Fair enough.

It's Armor, not Hardened Armor, so it never gets as impressive as an actual tank. Also remember that a starting character can't get more than 10/10 armor out of the deal - which isn't actually all that exciting.

But yeah. At the high end people who are made out of titanium are supposed to be pretty hard to hurt.

-Frank
Buster
And you'd think that getting punched by a tank would hurt, but it's actually just str/2 stun damage... biggrin.gif
PlatonicPimp
You can get one more point of armor in the head if you get capacity increase. That's skull 3, everything else 4. For 23.

Plus whatever armor they wear? Plus a helmet?

How does dermal sheathing play into this? if I have orthoskin on my body and an armored cyberarm, how does that work?

Jaid
i for one would tend to consider orthoskin to not be possible... i would bust out the "can't put stuff that has no capacity value into cyberlimbs" rule, considering the shell for a cybertorso is presumably where your skin would go (if you had skin instead of nice, shiney chrome that is)
PlatonicPimp
right, but what happens when half my character has skin, and the rest doesn't? Does the orthoskin become less effective (give less of a bonus) since it covers less of you?
Jaid
ruleswise, no =P
Buster
The Terminator had real skin over his cyber frame, so he should be able to have orthoskin too. If it's good enough for the governor of California, it's good enough for me.
Sterling
QUOTE (Buster)
And you'd think that getting punched by a tank would hurt, but it's actually just str/2 stun damage... biggrin.gif

Why must you torture me so? I've got a thread discussing cyberlimb melee damage that's going to shuffle off this mortal coil with zero comments.

@Platonic Pimp, there were rules in previous editions that covered the reduction of bonuses when you mixed cyberlimbs and things like bone lacing, orthoskin, etc. Nothing in SR4 yet that covers the effects.

It's not too hard to houserule that say, 2 cyberlimbs, or a cybertorso and a cyberlimb reduce the effectiveness of orthoskin by say, half. Maybe you think three limbs or two and a torso makes more sense, that's fine too.
knasser
QUOTE (Buster)
The Terminator had real skin over his cyber frame, so he should be able to have orthoskin too. If it's good enough for the governor of California, it's good enough for me.

Ah, but those are non-obvious cyberlimbs, therefore lower capacity and less armour in the first place.

Actually, I'm grateful for Frank's comments here. I've been ruling that way, but it's not something I was ever sure was what had been intended.

If you max out the armour on the cyberlimbs, then you can get some frightening damage resistance, but it normally left you with poor stats and little essence for anything else. It was good for padding out some of the capacity if you could live with not pumping the attributes as high as you could. Now with the customised cyber rules, however... the potential for some terrifying characters is there, but looking at the effect on availability and cost, it's probably still squeaking in under the power-gamer cut-off. Something to aspire to more than to start off with. I can see customised cyberlimbs with maxed out armour being pretty popular, though.
jmecha
Léonization....is it safe to say that if you have Léonization performed on a person they will loose all other Gene Treatments they have recieved since they were 21?

If Jack had his DNA scanned at the age of 21 and then gets Genetic Optimization treatment around the age of 42, and then gets Léonization at the age of 72......will Jack be reverted back to the 21 year old body that never had Genetic Optimization treatment?

If Jack is now Un-Optimization what happens to that point of Bod, Agi, Str, etc... that he had before his Léonization?

Would Jack just need to get Re-Optimized and repay for that maxed out attribute point again?

Not only that but...if Jack had Bod 3, Agi 3, Str 3, and across the board 3's for all of his stats at the age of 21 when his sample was taken, but then raised his stats to all 4's by the time he was 72 when he had the Léonization....would all of his physical stats be reduced to the 3's they were when the sample was taken?

Personally I think having to get Re-Optimized and repaying the Karma is more then fair since Jack has a second life worth of years to due it all over again in.
Kyrn
Erm...cybermancy. I admit I haven't really looked at it too hard since 2nd Edition, but did it just get a lot nastier? Specifically the section headed "Unnatural Vigor". I mean...that's just scary man. Negative essence adding to all natural attribute caps and thereby augmented maximums? Just a little fiddling around and I got a bruiser with reaction of 16. Six-fucking-teen! Add in Immunity to Natural Weapons on top of all the cyber armor...ick. I haven't been this scared of cyberzombies since I was sixteen. And the way the cyberzombies are presented make them seem, dare I say it, almost...playable.
Ancient History
That was the general idea.
Rotbart van Dainig
The biggest twist is actually: They don't age.
Aaron
Yay! Hatchetman!
Kyrn
Pretty sure he's dead dead actually. But for the rest...adepts may actually be facing a new king of the badass hill. Just not available at chargen. Well, under normal rules...
Rotbart van Dainig
Well, CZ got a Magic of 1, and as soon as it drops to 0, they die.

Cast Mana Static or lure them into the slightest form of background count not aspected to them, and they are gone.
Synner
QUOTE (Kyrn @ Jul 28 2007, 10:10 PM)
I haven't been this scared of cyberzombies since I was sixteen.

Good. That's the way they were intended.

There needed to be a good reason for corps to pour millions of nuyen and risk valuable magical talent on a single asset. I never thought prior versions of cyberzombies were actually as bad-ass as their reputation made them out to be, so I'm pretty happy with the way cyberzombies are now walking, (sometimes) talking WMDs.

Well, CZ got a Magic of 1, and as soon as it drops to 0, they die.
Cast Mana Static or lure them into the slightest form of background count not aspected to them, and they are gone.

Actually no.

Having your Magic reduced to 0 via background count would only render him "unable to use any magical abilities" (p.118, Street Magic) - specifically "background modified-Magic attribute counts for all uses of magic, including dice pools and limitations on the Force of spells and spirits." (ie. it modifies your ability to use that Magic rating).

Plus being at the center of their own portable domain means they are unaffected by any lower powered background counts they walk into (interaction between background counts and stuff like Mana static will be addressed in future FAQ updates - but essentially the rule of thumb is only the higher level applies when two domains overlap).

Cyberzombies are not spirits, so neither are they disrupted - though I'd consider it if the players lured one into a full-blown Mana Void or Warp.
Kyrn
Well, kudos.
Pretty sure they don't drop dead in background counts though. Considering they are background counts.

Edit: I'm now curious as to how many of the twelve cybermancy clinics Ares runs, cause these guys just scream Bug-killers.
FrankTrollman
Neither Probably Gavin nor the character from page 24 are Hatchetman. We're pretty sure he's dead.

-Frank
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Kyrn @ Jul 29 2007, 12:31 AM)
Pretty sure they don't drop dead in background counts though.  Considering they are background counts.

Those are aspected to them, and thus, don't affect them.

Other aspects are a whole other cattle of fish, AFAIS... as are shallows.
Kyrn
Don't actually see any mention of aspect, but I've been away from Street Magic for some months now and can't reference the general rules for background counts. Is any background count generated automatically aspected towards its creator?

Is the guy on p24 supposed to be a cyberzombie? I thought he was just drunk.
Rotbart van Dainig
Not really. Of course, if the domain the CZ creates protects them from other domians, they are fine, even in space.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Kyrn @ Jul 29 2007, 12:31 AM)
Pretty sure they don't drop dead in background counts though.  Considering they are background counts.

Those are aspected to them, and thus, don't affect them.

Other aspects are a whole other cattle of fish, AFAIS... as are shallows.

Shallows are of somne interest to them, but the Background Count is set wherever they are. So they can walk into any background count and not die.

-Frank
Ancient History
Cyberzombies in spaaaaaace...
Kyrn
Hmm...now the question becomes how to locate a capable facility, earn admittance, and most scarily pay for everything. Guess my character's not going to want to spring for that sense boost in his tongue anytime soon.
Anyone else notice that actually approaching the current limit of negative six essence seems rather difficult with the current choices of cyberware at anything other than basic grade? Of course there could always be Bob the Second-Hand Cyberzombie. And maybe there should be.
Jaid
well, you could always max out your genetic modification, load yourself up with headware and bodyware, and then chop of all those pesky limbs and replace them with cyber. that'll get you to -3 essence pretty easy =S

[edit] heck, just switch from synaptic booster 3 to move-by-wire 3 for another large boost in your essence consumption =S [/edit3]
Rotbart van Dainig
There's always another implant.

BTW:
QUOTE (Synner)
This combined with nanosymbiotes is why we felt Guardian Angel were ultimately unnecessary with the default rule set. If you really want SR4 stats for them I can try to dig up the writeup I did for nanocybernetics during development (though I would only suggest using them with the alternative (slower) Healing rules in Augmentation).

That would be too kind, thanks in advance.

As a sidenote - while Nano-Biomonitors claim to be better than cyber ones... what's the crunch advantage?
Ranneko
Can revilatization repair the essence loss from genemods?

Does this mean that with enough time (and money) one could really stock up on the genemods without having any net essence loss?

Or do they count as remaining implanted? If so, how do you remove the mods?
WearzManySkins
Can the Headware mods Radar Sensor and Ultrasound Sensor be used in goggles/glasses/contacts at the stated capacity usage?

Also the same question for the Eyewear mod Microscopic Vision?
neko128
All right. So a Cyberzombie's Unnatural Vigor increases its natural physical stat maxes by 1 for every point of negative essence. Cybermancy could allow an essence of -6. Customized Cyberlimbs can have attribute values up to the natural maximum. Redlining a cyberlimb

So...

Am I the only one who's going to start having nightmares about what a Troll cyberzombie can do with a physical weapon can do to... Well, just about anything, when he Redlines his arms to 32 Strength and hits it with, say, a Combat Axe? Or - and may I just say, *ouch* - redlines to 32 Strength to tag someone with a bow and arrow? Or when an Elf cyberzombie redlines his arms to 26 Agility for that one sniper round?

As an actually useful question... The Redlining sidebar mentions that you can redline one attribute; but Body is an attribute on cyberlimbs. This implies, as non-sensical to me as it is, that you can redline a limb's body. Is that right?
Dancer
QUOTE (neko128)
Or - and may I just say, *ouch* - redlines to 32 Strength to tag someone with a bow and arrow?

But how often do you *need* to sink a battleship with hand weapons?
neko128
QUOTE (Dancer)
QUOTE (neko128 @ Jul 29 2007, 05:39 AM)
Or - and may I just say, *ouch* - redlines to 32 Strength to tag someone with a bow and arrow?

But how often do you *need* to sink a battleship with hand weapons?

Not often, one assumes, but the first time it comes up, you'll be glad you can. biggrin.gif
Ravor
Ok, here's one that came up in another thread.

Cyberware Essense loss is tracked seperately from Bioware Essense loss because the lesser of the two is 1/2ed, right?

The same still holds true after chargen right?

If that is the case then what was the reasoning behind having Essense holes "flavored" as either cyber or bio?

Double D has the following:

2.0 Cyber
1.0 Bio

His total Essense loss is 2.5 -- 2.0 from cyber and 0.5 from bio.

A few implants later his total looks like this:

2.0 Cyber
3.0 Bio

His total Essense loss is 4.0 -- 1.0 from cyber and 3.0 from bio.

Now let's say that he has every last implant ripped out of him, what can he now implant into his Essense Hole considering that some of his total Essense loss was both cyber and bio at different points in his life?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Ravor)
Ok, here's one that came up in another thread.

Cyberware Essense loss is tracked seperately from Bioware Essense loss because the lesser of the two is 1/2ed, right?

The same still holds true after chargen right?

If that is the case then what was the reasoning behind having Essense holes "flavored" as either cyber or bio?

Holy crap - I have no idea. It wasn't like that when I wrote it, and you're right that it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Essence Holes should just be generic. There's no Earthly purpose served in having them aspected to Cyber- or Bio- specifically. It makes the accounting very complicated and adds nothing to the game. I seriously don't know where that came from.

Good catch for the errata thread.

-Frank
Ol' Scratch
Bah, thunder stolen!
Ravor
I'm afaid that I can't take credit, Doctor Funkenstein is the one who brought the problem up.

*Edit*

Damn, I am getting slow in my advancing age. cyber.gif
Ol' Scratch
<just laughs> Doesn't matter to me, I was just messing around. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012