Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Augmentation Q&A
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Kyrn
You mean one of the Awakened qualities that allows a character to possess a Magic rating of one?
Rotbart van Dainig
No, one that allows him to use Counterspelling.

Another question, because it wasn't adressed in Augmention like it was in M&M:

A Trauma Dampener only works on Damage not ignored by Damage compensators, so they still keep you from really feeling pain.
When does a user of Damage Compansators fall unconcious?

Simply when one of his Damage Monitor is filled?
Damage Monitor + Damage Compensators?
Only if the complete Damage Monitror is covered by Damage Compensators?
Kyrn
Ah, right. I was mis-remembering the Dual Natured section to mean that all previous Awakened merits were extinguished and replaced by the quasi-magic point of cybermancy. It actually just reads that the cyberzombie's Magic is reduced to one and can't be advanced, not that they lose their previous Awakened traits. My bad. So an adept (or mystic adept) could still theoretically retain a power point to use for purchasing powers? If mystic adept, purchasing any powers would count as allocating that magic point towards adept powers and cut off any potential use of summoning, spellcasting, or counterspelling.
Cool. I think I've got it now. Any clarification on whether the background count is aspected towards the C-zed in question? I'm sure this was all clarified in the discussions of 3rd Ed. cyberzombies, but I blacked out for the majority of that edition.
Rotbart van Dainig
To receive any kind of augmented healing, you need a clean sample of your DNA.
The Genewipe Genetech renders every sample of your DNA defect after 5 minutes of no neurochemical-signals from the body.

Looks like people who get that treatment that are royally screwed.
MaxHunter
well... they could scan a sample in vivo and then work with a digital version of it, now couldn't they?

Cheers,

Max

Dancer
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
The Genewipe Genetech renders every sample of your DNA defect after 5 minutes of no neurochemical-signals from the body.

If you're actually present in a hospital they can presumably take a DNA sample and keep it in a controlled environment (ie replicate the appropriate neurochemical signals). It'll cost of course.

For long-term storage of DNA information they'd need to digitise it (tricky since it keeps disintegrating inside the analyser, but not impossible) and then use a biochemical printer to duplicate it at neccesity.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kyrn)
If mystic adept, purchasing any powers would count as allocating that magic point towards adept powers and cut off any potential use of summoning, spellcasting, or counterspelling.

Well, technically the CZ mystic adept with the Counterspelling Skill would still be able to use the 'counterspelling' aspect of the skill (because it doesn't actually depend on the Magic Rating), but not the 'dispel magic' aspect (which does need the Magic Rating).
the_dunner
Regarding Genewipe -- in all probability, you'd keep copies of your DNA profile (hopefully both electronic and organic) that was constructed when you went in for the Genewipe procedure. Any changes or treatments required after that could be referenced back to those prior samples, with notations on the electronic version indicating which changes had been made.

Of course, if you LOST those records (or had them lost) then future modifications and treatments would be more challenging, but not impossible. (Assume a threshold increase of 5 or so on the extended test.)
Kyrn
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Kyrn @ Jul 30 2007, 10:27 PM)
If mystic adept, purchasing any powers would count as allocating that magic point towards adept powers and cut off any potential use of summoning, spellcasting, or counterspelling.

Well, technically the CZ mystic adept with the Counterspelling Skill would still be able to use the 'counterspelling' aspect of the skill (because it doesn't actually depend on the Magic Rating), but not the 'dispel magic' aspect (which does need the Magic Rating).

But I thing (could be wrong, AFMB) that even just for providing spell defense a character needs access to one point of non-adept powers allocated Magic. I kind of hope it doesn't work, actually. A cyberzombie with immunity to natural weapons, Reaction of 15, a damage resistance dice pool in the forties, who's a walking background count and can provide his own spell defense...let's just say it wouldn't bode well for the PCs. cyber.gif

But damn it all! I want to play one of these ungodly beasts now. Of course that may be my White-Wolf background showing through a bit. Cyberzombie: The Existentialling. I remember years and years ago on Shadowland somebody was running with a troll cyberzombie as a PC. And played it beautifully. Now to try to think of a plausible way, not just to get a character turned into one of these, but to not be entirely under the thumb of a major power solely for logistical reasons. I like the idea of a mobile medical facility but...wait, [/I]Gungrave[I] much?

Sigh. Alas, some things were just never meant to be. I'll just punish players with them instead I suppose.
Chrome Shadow
Back to the cyber-eye on the cyber-tail...

Why would anyone want a cyber-eye on a cyber-tail that you can't realy control?

They are suposed to move "on their own"...
Kyrn
I'm envisaging awful accidents at the local Krispy Kreme. Or a handy plot device for the GM to play with lecherous characters.
Seriously though, I think it'd give mad headaches wandering all over the place like that.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kyrn)
But I thing (could be wrong, AFMB) that even just for providing spell defense a character needs access to one point of non-adept powers allocated Magic.

That would have been needed to learn Counterspelling in the first place, but I don't recall any stipulations to that effect after the Skill is already known. smile.gif
Kyrn
Mmmm...counterspelling cyberzombie goodness. I think one well designed cyberzombie with a non-astronomical budget should be a pretty good surprise for the party. biggrin.gif
Ol' Scratch
I've only casually sifted through the new cyberzombie stuff, but here's my question regarding them: What do they have to offer the corporations creating them compared to the negative publicity, DIMR contracts for using blood magic, and extreme costs? Especially with options like having a normal character having all their limbs replaced and Move-by-Wires 3 for only a 2.2 Essence loss (delta + adapsin + biocompatibility + cybersuites) for costs that shouldn't be much more?

Sure, the new rules add in all kinds of crazy abilities... but are they worth the liability and negatives associated with them when modern technologically can already cram almost everything available cybernetically into someone?
Buster
QUOTE (Kyrn)
Cyberzombie: The Existentialling.

I just had to post a 'LOL' for that one.
FrankTrollman
But I thing (could be wrong, AFMB) that even just for providing spell defense a character needs access to one point of non-adept powers allocated Magic. I

Yep. Even though Counterspelling doesn't add your Magic to the dice pool, it's still a Magic Skill that requires you to have a non-zero Magic rating. So if a Mystic Adept allocates a Power Point, their Magic Rating for the purposes of their Magic Skills is zero and they are no longer elligible to use Counterspelling - not even for Spell Defense.

What do they have to offer the corporations creating them compared to the negative publicity, DIMR contracts for using blood magic, and extreme costs?

Negative publicity? Once the process is perfected, they are handing out eternal life - people won't complain overly much one way or the other about where it comes from at that point. What price is worth Immortality? If you said "all of it" - you're not alone.

And then consider the first corporation that got it off the ground: Aztechnology. Imagine for the moment that you had a board member who intended to take some very powerful magical effects into a very unfavorable mana environment. How much would he pay for something that continuously scrambled that mana environment locally to be merely unpleasant for both the invaders and the natives?

And finally, recall that the Draco Foundation contracts on blood mages aren't for dead blood mages - they are for living blood mages. And the Draco Foundation was founded by... and Aztechnology had who on the board when the Cybermancy research was going forward? So given that information, what do you think that the Draco Foundation wants with a bunch of blood mages?

-Frank
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (the_dunner)
Regarding Genewipe -- in all probability, you'd keep copies of your DNA profile (hopefully both electronic and organic) that was constructed when you went in for the Genewipe procedure.  Any changes or treatments required after that could be referenced back to those prior samples, with notations on the electronic version indicating which changes had been made.

Electronic storage is possible with the astral shadow stuff, or is that not needed?

QUOTE (the_dunner)
Of course, if you LOST those records (or had them lost) then future modifications and treatments would be more challenging, but not impossible.  (Assume a threshold increase of 5 or so on the extended test.)

Even though the rules for Augmented Healing state that you must have 'good' samples?

Tor rephrase an old question: Print Removal is the ticket for a quick trip to jail if the man ever sees/scans your hands, right?

And what about Damage Compensators and loosing conciousness?
Fortune
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Even though Counterspelling doesn't add your Magic to the dice pool, it's still a Magic Skill that requires you to have a non-zero Magic rating. So if a Mystic Adept allocates a Power Point, their Magic Rating for the purposes of their Magic Skills is zero and they are no longer elligible to use Counterspelling - not even for Spell Defense.

I stand corrected.

... but boo! frown.gif
knasser
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
I've only casually sifted through the new cyberzombie stuff, but here's my question regarding them: What do they have to offer the corporations creating them compared to the negative publicity, DIMR contracts for using blood magic, and extreme costs? Especially with options like having a normal character having all their limbs replaced and Move-by-Wires 3 for only a 2.2 Essence loss (delta + adapsin + biocompatibility + cybersuites) for costs that shouldn't be much more?

Sure, the new rules add in all kinds of crazy abilities... but are they worth the liability and negatives associated with them when modern technologically can already cram almost everything available cybernetically into someone?

Well you could argue their existence with expensive cyberzombies being a necessary step toward cheap cyberzombies. wink.gif
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Negative publicity? Once the process is perfected, they are handing out eternal life - people won't complain overly much one way or the other about where it comes from at that point. What price is worth Immortality? If you said "all of it" - you're not alone.

Yes, negative publicity.

You may as well say the same thing about the shedim, petro hougans, and necromancers. They're merely trying to perfect the process of immortality for the betterment of all metahumanity. Honest. It doesn't matter that they're using vile, illegal magicks, and nevermind that that cybermancy relies on blood magic -- one of the most vile and despicable forms of magic in both the public and private opinion. None of that matters, though, because their goal is a noble one. No, for serious. Come on, you gotta believe 'em.

Nevermind that life extension and rejuvination is already possible through conventional science (and even more affordable at that).

And then consider the first corporation that got it off the ground: Aztechnology. Imagine for the moment that you had a board member who intended to take some very powerful magical effects into a very unfavorable mana environment. How much would he pay for something that continuously scrambled that mana environment locally to be merely unpleasant for both the invaders and the natives?

What's that have to do with anything? There's maybe a dozen or two people on the entire planet who has an inkling about any of that, and of them only one or two (mostly Harlequinn) has shown any signs of revealing the big picture. And if they were, they would have by now.

And finally, recall that the Draco Foundation contracts on blood mages aren't for dead blood mages - they are for living blood mages.

So the blood mages creating the cyberzombies are all dead? I had no idea. As for the cyberzombie itself, that's just being pedantic. It's not something that would come up outside of a court case or the Draco Foundation going against the intent of Dunkelzahn's Will (which is exactly why he had the Draco Foundation created instead of letting it be handled by court systems).

And the Draco Foundation was founded by... and Aztechnology had who on the board when the Cybermancy research was going forward? So given that information, what do you think that the Draco Foundation wants with a bunch of blood mages?

See the second response.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
But I thing (could be wrong, AFMB) that even just for providing spell defense a character needs access to one point of non-adept powers allocated Magic. I

Yep. Even though Counterspelling doesn't add your Magic to the dice pool, it's still a Magic Skill that requires you to have a non-zero Magic rating. So if a Mystic Adept allocates a Power Point, their Magic Rating for the purposes of their Magic Skills is zero and they are no longer elligible to use Counterspelling - not even for Spell Defense.

What do they have to offer the corporations creating them compared to the negative publicity, DIMR contracts for using blood magic, and extreme costs?

And finally, recall that the Draco Foundation contracts on blood mages aren't for dead blood mages - they are for living blood mages. And the Draco Foundation was founded by... and Aztechnology had who on the board when the Cybermancy research was going forward? So given that information, what do you think that the Draco Foundation wants with a bunch of blood mages?

-Frank

hinting at something, frank?
Rotbart van Dainig
In fact, the DF does pay for dead threats, but only if they were on their wanted lists.

The 'alive' thing is a legal necessity.

Question: Can a Nanite Hive support any kind of Nanites? The Nanoinfectors seem to imply so.
FrankTrollman
The 'alive' thing is a legal necessity.

Oh good. See, for a moment I was concerned that perhaps Mountainshadow had been confirmed to be the most powerful blood mage in the 4th world, that Aztechnology funding for the Blood Mage Gestalt had dried up shortly after Dunkelzahn died, and that the Draco Foundation was paying freelance shadowrunners to help them assemble the largest army of blood mages the world has ever seen. But if that's just a legal necessity I guess everything's fine. What a relief!
cool.gif

Nevermind that life extension and rejuvination is already possible through conventional science (and even more affordable at that).

Life extension yes. But hong long will it be in the eyes of the stars until that life extension is insufficient?

He who dies with the most toys still dies. Even if immortality turns out to have a huge cost in human life, corporate market share, and raw nuyen.gif, are you seriously going to tell me that a board member would vote against the research?

No matter how high the costs, someone is going to do it if it looks like they might be able to live forever after 30 or 40 years of investment. Even if it might work, people are still going to sign up. Death is a powerful motivator. The most powerful motivator.

-Frank
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
See, for a moment I was concerned that perhaps Mountainshadow had been confirmed to be the most powerful blood mage in the 4th world,

..you mean like in a world were Blood Magic was something nearly anyone used?
And dragons used it less than everyone else?

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
that Aztechnology funding for the Blood Mage Gestalt had dried up shortly after Dunkelzahn died

..which included a certain Drake and Cyberzombie stomping the whole thing.

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
and that the Draco Foundation was paying freelance shadowrunners to help them assemble the largest army of blood mages the world has ever seen.

It's exactly the same for toxic shamans.

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
But if that's just a legal necessity I guess everything's fine.

Partially. It's hard to research them if they are dead, and even harder to prove what they were.
Dissonance
On a very unrelated note, I want to know who stripped out all of the positive and negative qualities for cyberware and bioware, as well as removing the truly arcane tables for determining the cost of installation surgery.

Because I owe somebody a bottle of scotch. Thank you, Jesus.
Ophis
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
See, for a moment I was concerned that perhaps Mountainshadow had been confirmed to be the most powerful blood mage in the 4th world,

..you mean like in a world were Blood Magic was something nearly anyone used?
And dragons used it less than everyone else?

And more importantly Bloodmagic in Earthdawn was basically physical drain, what Sr calls blood magic ED calls Death magic.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Ophis)
And more importantly Bloodmagic in Earthdawn was basically physical drain, what Sr calls blood magic ED calls Death magic.

Yes. And Mountainshadow was also the most powerful "death magic" user of the 4th world, and has in fact used the largest death magic effect in Shadowrun history.

QUOTE (Dissonance)
On a very unrelated note, I want to know who stripped out all of the positive and negative qualities for cyberware and bioware, as well as removing the truly arcane tables for determining the cost of installation surgery.

Because I owe somebody a bottle of scotch. Thank you, Jesus.

Heh. That would be Peter Taylor and myself.

Peter Taylor likes a scotch that can legally order its own scotch.
I like my whisky like I like my women - 12 years old and mixed up with coke.
smile.gif

-Frank

P.S.: Was that too awful?
Dissonance
That was just awful enough. I've gotta give props to a guy who wants individual cyber-fingertips.

You could make the most brutal version of Inspector Gadget ever. And that'd be so awesome, it hurts.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
And Mountainshadow was also the most powerful "death magic" user of the 4th world

Reference?
Ancient History
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Ophis @ Jul 30 2007, 02:00 PM)

Yes. And Mountainshadow was also the most powerful "death magic" user of the 4th world, and has in fact used the largest death magic effect in Shadowrun history.

Some slight corrections here:

Mountainshadow was acknowledged as perhaps the greatest living magician among the great dragons of Barsaive, but blood magic (and by extension, death magic) was not a particularly noted specialty of his. He could and no doubt did use it, but to what extant is unclear.

As for the largest death magic effect in Shadowrun history...eh. If the specific event you're referring to is empowering the Dragonheart, then you are slightly mistaken: that is sacrifice magic. You could make a particularly strong argument that the Great Ghost Dance was the largest death magic effect in Shadowrun history.
Rotbart van Dainig
BTW... Universal Sealant patches up holes. Surgical variants exist. What about bullet holes? wink.gif
James McMurray
BTW... Universal Sealant patches up holes. Surgical variants exist. What about bullet holes? wink.gif

Sure, why not? Now if the hole were your only worry after being shot, you'd be all set. smile.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
Hey, nano-euqivalents to Paletet Factories would be cool. Those do nothing more than plug the holes faster, too.

Does Reprint render ritual links invalid, too? What about Masque?
Does the Reprint treatment remove Masque and vice versa?
..what is the actual difference?
hyzmarca
What happens if someon gets the bright idea to have his Ally inhabit a cyberzombie?
fistandantilus4.0
They save the world.
Buster
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
What happens if someon gets the bright idea to have his Ally inhabit a cyberzombie?

I think a believable house rule would be that the body of the cyberzombie is essentially already inhabited by the soul of the semi-deceased. Therefore: two's company, three's a munchkin.
Synner
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jul 30 2007, 05:26 PM)
Question: Can a Nanite Hive support any kind of Nanites? The Nanoinfectors seem to imply so.

Yes. You can chose which are supported when they are initially installed.

Hey, nano-euqivalents to Paletet Factories would be cool. Those do nothing more than plug the holes faster, too.

We actually had something like that in an earlier draft and dropped it. We tried to avoid overly redundant systems when possible (even though they make sense) simply because we had limited space (and in this particular case we already had nanosymbiotes and TCS).

For instance: we also had a "lymphatic system boost" at one point which that was essentially a bioware equivalent of O-Cells.

Does Reprint render ritual links invalid, too? What about Masque?

I'd let individual GMs rule on that but my advice is yes and no respectively.

Does the Reprint treatment remove Masque and vice versa? ...what is the actual difference?

To oversimplify Masque is the genetic equivalent of removing your fingerprints. Reprint is the genetic equivalent of getting an entirely new fingerprint (or at least something that reads as new). There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

And yes, either cancels the other.
mfb
Dunk knew of and probably encouraged the research into blood magic at Aztechnology. he had far, far, far, far, far to great a share in the corporation not to have. the thing is, blood magic in SR has gotten a pretty bad rap. yes, it's dangerous. yes, in the wrong hands, it can be used to hugely detrimental effect--literal end-of-the-world stuff.

it's also the most powerful form of magic in existence--powerful enough, maybe, to repel the eventual Horror invasion. and that's why he put blood magic research into the hands of Aztechnology, instead of working with less amoral--hell, less actively evil--researchers. the blood mage gestalt worked with a passion that some whiny save-the-children hippie could never match in a million years, even if the Horrors were willing to wait that long. Dunk needed some hard, pipe-hittin' casters who'd go to work on the problem with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. the Horrors are going to torture to death every single living being on the planet, which means there are no conceivable lengths that are too far to go to in pursuit of stopping them.
Shrike30
I like that way of looking at it. Makes a lot more sense than some of the other explanations I've heard for it.

And come on, folks... he may have been "Dunk the Friendly Dragon," but he wasn't human.
the_dunner
Electronic storage is possible with the astral shadow stuff, or is that not needed?

In general, the astral shadow aspect of genetics is poorly understood and theoretical. In the case of the limited number of metagenes where the association is understood, then, yes, electronic storage would be adequate.
QUOTE (the_dunner)
Of course, if you LOST those records (or had them lost) then future modifications and treatments would be more challenging, but not impossible.  (Assume a threshold increase of 5 or so on the extended test.)

Even though the rules for Augmented Healing state that you must have 'good' samples?

I'd qualify an electronic sample as a "good" sample. Depending upon your GM's level of knowledge regarding genetics and in silico analysis and optimism for their future, he or she might not agree. (I'd assume that, in the vast majority of cases, the sample that's preserved for later use in Leonization is entirely electronic.)
Tor rephrase an old question: Print Removal is the ticket for a quick trip to jail if the man ever sees/scans your hands, right?

Unless you've got one hell of an etiquette skill or one hell of a bribe.
Shrike30
I'd qualify having the patient right there on the bed/in the vat as having a 'good' sample.
Squinky
Not a question, just praise. I downloaded the pdf tonight and it just rocks my socks off. Fixed cyberlimbs right up, and added so much new stuff I can't believe it.....

Damn, I am wowed.
jklst14
QUESTION: Does the Daredrenaline treatment (page 90) grant a +1 for magic drain resistance? The description says all willpower tests and mentions spell resistance specifically, but doesn't say anything about drain.
WearzManySkins
ok some details I would like to ask questions about

Biocompatability Cost 10 10% essence reduction
Cyberware or bioware but not Genetch
So does this mean that the Cybernetic Nanowares would be affected if cyberware was chosen to be affected by it?ie Nanohives etc?
Ol' Scratch
Nanocybernetics are still cybernetics. Genetech and bioware are completely different beasts. (Answer: Yes, Nanocybernetics would be handled like cybernetics for the Essence reduction. A nanohive is a cyberware implant, just one that involves nanites.)
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Synner)

Yes. You can chose which are supported when they are initially installed.

Evil. Getting Smart Demolishers/Corrosives injected that activate once they leave your body makes you bleed like an Alien.

Incidentially, that would solve my 'implanted Medkit' question, as simply injecting the Nanites of a Savoir medkit would keep them in your system, activated and directed by the Nano-Biomonitor, using the rules for the Savoir. Which of course means that while it works as a rating 6 Medkit, the Nanite Rating is just 2, degrading every use... so it won't last that long.

QUOTE (Synner)

We actually something like that in an earlier draft and dropped it. We tried to avoid overly redundant systems when possible (even though they make sense) simply because we had limited space (and in this particular case we already had nanosymbiotes and TCS).

Thanks. Just looking for ideas how to rule Universal Sealant (surgical variant) when it comes up.

QUOTE (Synner)
To oversimplify Masque is the genetic equivalent of removing your fingerprints. Reprint is the genetic equivalent of getting an entirely new fingerprint (or at least something that reads as new). There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Ah, thanks. The disadvantage with Masque as I see it is that a full sequencing might still identify you.

QUOTE (Synner)
And yes, either cancels the other.

So due to Essence hole rules, once you get one of those treatmeants, you are free to go back and forth without worries... cool.
Rotbart van Dainig
Some Nanites are labeled 'Soft/Hard' while other are 'Hard/Soft'.

Does that represent any difference?
Wanderer
A question of mine has apparently fallen through the cracks, so I'll repeat it...

Assuming that one plays a high-power 500+ cps. game and therefore ignores the 35-pts limit for Positive/Negative Qualities as well at chargen,

Can the Positive Qualities Biocompatability (bioware) and Type 0 System be combined and stacked, or are they incompatible different versions of the same condition ? Same question for the Genecrafted and Genetic Heritage Qualities.

Can the Positive Qualities Biocompatability (either version) and Type 0 System be bought post-character creation, as the effect of genetic treatments, or they have to be inborn qualities ?

I expect that since genetic treatments can mess with the genome so radically as to make the DNA signature unrecognizable, they could make the subject cells' non-allergenic, or the body more accepting of implants.
jklst14
QUOTE (Wanderer)

Can the Positive Qualities Biocompatability (bioware) and Type 0 System be combined and stacked, or are they incompatible different versions of the same condition ?

Since starting characters are limited to 35 points of Positive Qualities, then you technically can't buy both at chargen.

Wanderer
QUOTE (jklst14 @ Aug 1 2007, 12:55 AM)
QUOTE (Wanderer)

Can the Positive Qualities Biocompatability (bioware) and Type 0 System be combined and stacked, or are they incompatible different versions of the same condition ?

Since starting characters are limited to 35 points of Positive Qualities, then you technically can't buy both at chargen.

Please ignore that limit. Since I do use 500+ cp for characters, I do ignore the 35-pts limit for Qualities as well. My fault. In re-posting the question, I forgot to state that assumption.

Here, I've edited the question to state the 35-pts limit is ignored.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012