Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Augmentation Q&A
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
Yes.

I sometimes do my bio-compatability backwards. In other words, how many "virtual" essence points does this cost reduction give me? It breaks down when you mix grades, but it gives a basic idea.

Multiplying multipliers, you get a "virtual" essence of 14.8 (inverse of 40.5% is 247%, of 6). Adding multipliers and then figurin it, assuming everything was deltaware, means you get a virtual essence of 20 ( Inverse of 30% is 333%, of 6). Serious difference.

Agreed. Indeed a serious difference. I guess your GM super monsters will be toned down a bit with your house rule.
But if you have players who've already paid for their 14.8 essence worth of deltaware and are sitting on a big pile of cash looking to upgrade, then we're well beyond worrying about the power level of your game, y'know?
I'm not arguing that it's not a big difference, my position is that the difference is not a big deal.
Random Voices
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
The rule of thumb is 10% + 10% + 10% = 30% = x0.7.  It's not 10% of 10% of 10% or x0.9 x0.9 x0.9.  You can find an example of this in Street Magic when they discuss the reductions to Initiation costs.

Actually if you look at the Lone Star Swat Cybersuite, the sum of the essence cost of the parts is 2.8, the essence cost of the cybersuite is 2.52 for standard grade and 2.02 for alpha grade. The suite provides a 10% reduction in essence cost, and alphaware provides a 20% reduction. Taking 2.8 * .9 * .8 gives 2.02, where taking 2.8 * .7 (10% + 20% = 30% reduction) gives 1.96. Granted .06 is not a lot of essence, but in this case that would matter a lot to a magically active character. If the character getting the implant had biocompatibility would the essence cost be 2.8 * .9 * .8 * .9 = 1.81 or 2.8 * .6 (10% + 20% + 10% = 40% reduction) = 1.68? This time there's a .13 essence cost difference.

Synner? Frank? Any advice on how to do the essence cost reduction math?

Another question, why is a smartlink an eye modification? If you look back at the older editions a smartlink was composed of a ballistics processor, a limited simsense rig, an image link and an induction pad. It seems to me that only the image link part of that should be an eye implant while the simsense rig and ballistics processor should be headware implants.
PlatonicPimp
When it comes right down to it, there isn't 20 essence of compatible cyber in the game, anyway. But it still makes a difference at lower amounts, too, especially if essence loss equals magic loss. I don't want essence loss to become a non issue at any power level.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Random Voices)
Synner? Frank? Any advice on how to do the essence cost reduction math?

QUOTE (Synner)
All cases I've stumbled across so far have them adding multipliers together before applying them.  So three 10% modifier would be a 30% modifier rather than a 10% of 10% of 10% modifier.  So that 0.50 implant with a 20% and 10% discount would have a 30% discount, meaning it would be 0.35 instead of 0.36.

That is correct.
Whipstitch
QUOTE (Wanderer @ Aug 2 2007, 05:40 AM)
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Aug 1 2007, 11:16 PM)
My guess is that Type O doesn't affect cultured-only bioware. On page 61 they equate cultured-only bioware with neural bioware, and apparently it has to mesh just right with your brain and nervous system to even work right, so it's not just a matter of blood type matching and immune suppression.

I really don't see why it should not affect neural bioware as well (I really, really wish they'd dropped the cultured label for sure; it only creates confusion with bioware grades). Even if you have to tweak all neural bioware to make it mesh with individual nervous system patterns, blood/immune type matching is still going to be an issue, which perfect, non-allergenic matching nicely sidesteps. This from a fluff-wise POV. Ruleswise, you can still buy neural bioware at Alpha, Beta, or Delta grades, and Type O allows to buy basic grade bio as Delta grade, so it should work for that as well.

The culture-required (which I'll call neural 'ware as per Augmentation from here out) label is really only confusing if you're taking the stance that it doesn't actually mean much of anything, which is essentially what you're arguing. The tissue and blood type matching isn't just "helpful" with neural bioware, it's a minimum requirement, and it would take more than meeting the minimum requirements to get that kind of 'ware up to Delta grade performance. I would guess that basic neural bioware would simply operate correctly and do its job, while higher grade neural bioware has been meticulously DNA matched, mapped out and coaxed to do the same work with less cells. I could be completely wrong, but if I am, then I have no idea why the devs bothered to make a distinction in the first place at all.
PlatonicPimp
In other words, basic bioware can be ripped out and transplanted into someone else. Cultered Bioware cannot be. It's important information for any potential organ leggers out there.
Whipstitch
That's another good alternative explanation for why they would make a cultured bioware distinction. Still, I suspect that it's part of the balancing scheme along with exempting cultured bioware from Type O benefits. Used Synaptic Booster 3 for 120k or Delta Synaptic 3 for 240k with Type O hits me as a li'l out of whack balance wise compared to, well, pretty much anything else in the game, really. If I'm wrong though, hell, sign me up for Type O. I'll be quite happy to take multiple loyalty 6 street docs at chargen too, if that's what it takes.
PlatonicPimp
It's not loyalty 6 your need, but rating 6.

I have a house rule that if you have an appropriate contact, you can add their rating to the maximim availability you can have at chargen for equipment they can help you get. Fixers are universal, but they only provide half their rating as a bonus.
Whipstitch
I just meant loyalty 6 so the Docs won't sell my valuable Type O meat to the Tamanous the first time I get banged up. cool.gif
Wanderer
That's another good alternative explanation for why they would make a cultured bioware distinction. Still, I suspect that it's part of the balancing scheme along with exempting cultured bioware from Type O benefits.

The part about neural bio not being transplantable is indeed present in the books. Nowhere it is stated or implied that neural bioware is extempted from the benefits of alpha-delta grade or Type O, therefore barring full errata or FAQ statement to the contrary, it is a house rule as far as it concerns me.

If I'm wrong though, hell, sign me up for Type O. I'll be quite happy to take multiple loyalty 6 street docs at chargen too, if that's what it takes.

It is a 30-pts quality. Picking it ensures you have little exceptional talent at anything else, but it also ensures you do have excellent potential to be turned into a full superhuman with relatively little expense. If you do mean to be ubersammie, it's definitely the Quality to take.
Ancient History
You can even put it on your resume at the fertility clinic where you sell little bits of yourself to upgrade other little bits.
Wanderer
QUOTE (Whipstitch)
I just meant loyalty 6 so the Docs won't sell my valuable Type O meat to the Tamanous the first time I get banged up. cool.gif

Don't be silly. You are far too precious to be wasted as an organ source. They have already done the trick long ago, with the original type Owen cell lines. You are far more profitable if sold to a corporation, government, or policlub, which can brainwash you into loyalty or blackmail you into service (cortex bomb, anyone ?), then turn you into an ubersammie agent chock-full of Delta bio goodness with relatively little expense.

Hell, your genome is quite precious this way, too, so they would do crank out as many of your clones raised to adulthood as possible, to create a super-army.

If you are male, I would also take it into consideration using you to impregnate as many females with compatible genome, as possible.
Whipstitch
QUOTE (Wanderer @ Aug 2 2007, 07:20 PM)
The part about neural bio not being transplantable is indeed present in the books. Nowhere it is stated or implied that neural bioware is extempted from the benefits of alpha-delta grade or Type O, therefore barring full errata or FAQ statement to the contrary, it is a house rule as far as it concerns me.

I never said you can't get higher grades of neural bioware. I said neural bioware is not the same as standard bioware. The quality says it affects "basic, off the rack bioware". By the fluff and the RAW, neural bioware isn't EVER made in a generic model, it's made to order and tailored to an individual. I'm not the developers and I very well could be wrong, but I think it's a bit premature to say that the RAW is crystal clear in regards to neural bioware and Type O compatibility.
Ol' Scratch
Depending on how you read it, the rules for cyberware and bioware grades on SR4 p. 303 implies that Cultured Bioware is, indeed, a grade all its own. This can also be reinforced with the Second-Hand Bioware grade in Augmentation that specifically states Cultured Bioware isn't applicable for the modifiers.

It's pretty vague and my personal reading of said rules is saying that Cultured Bioware does come in various grades, just that it's not "standard 'ware." Which, as an aside, is what the Type O Bioware quality refers to as well.

The easiest way to settle things is to try and find an NPC or Archetype who has stats featuring Cultured Bioware with a grade. smile.gif
PlatonicPimp
Or we settle this with a game of rock paper scissors.
FrankTrollman
Cultured Bioware has to be grown to match the neural pathways of a specific individual. While a pancreas or a kidney is to large extent a self contained system with in input and output valve, a spinal chord is a complex relay that integrates itself in a unique and evelopmentally assigned fashion to each individual. So if you go get a piece of cultured ware they map out where your neurons go and then then they make a new item for you. There is no "off the rack" possibilty because it has to be grown specifically for you.

So when you pull a cerebral booster out of someone, there isn't anyone on the planet that you can reinstall it into. That's why Dr. Swayne put it down like so expressively:
QUOTE (Augmentation @ p. 15)
Bioware implants are a different story: cultured ware has no resale value except as ghoul chow
It doesn't matter if it was produced with Type O tissues or not - it's always going to be built to the specific neural net of the intended recipient. And because of that, cultured ware is always grown from the cells of the intended recipient - there's no advantage to be had in having generic neural ware, there wouldn't be anyone you could install it into. As a result, Type O spinal chords aren't even available - there's no reason to keep them around (see p. 127).

So the long story short is that Type O affects non-cultured Bioware only. Basic Bioware is the specific list of ware on page 338 of the Basic Book, as distinct from the list on page 339 of Cultured Bioware. But hey, getting a delta-grade suprathyroid for 45000 nuyen.gif is quality children's television. And in the Bioware section of Augmentation, the Cultured Bioware doesn't start until page 70, so there's still lots of groovy, furry, or weird augmentations you can get the bonus on (Quills? Silk glands? Why not?).

Also note that it doesn't apply to versions that don't come off the rack. So you can't get a delta grade bioware on top of your Type O physiology and have it stack up to a 100% Essence cost reduction. It needs to be Basic Bioware, and of Standard edit: or Alpha Grade for you to get the benefits.

---

And yes, if you get a Suite and get it Alpha and have Biocompatibility, the total cost should be 60% (a 10% reduction for the Suite, a 20% reduction for the Grade, and a 10% reduction for Biocompatibility). In general, when you have multiple things reducing the same Essence cost, they all reduce the same cost. You aren't getting a series of multiples, you're getting a discount of 10% (or whatever) of the original cost.

And no, Biocompatibilty does not stack with Type O system - there wasn't normally any need to say that because under normal rules you can't have both anyway.

---

And on another note: Cultured is not a grade. The rules are pretty clear on this point:
QUOTE (Augmentation @ page 127)
Cultured bioware may also be alpha, beta, or delta grade.

-Frank
Random Voices
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Aug 3 2007, 01:44 AM)

And yes, if you get a Suite and get it Alpha and have Biocompatibility, the total cost should be 60% (a 10% reduction for the Suite, a 20% reduction for the Grade, and a 10% reduction for Biocompatibility). In general, when you have multiple things reducing the same Essence cost, they all reduce the same cost. You aren't getting a series of multiples, you're getting a discount of 10% (or whatever) of the original cost.

But that's not the way AUG has the essence cost figured out for the Lone Star Swat Suite. The essence cost for the alpha version is 2.02 which is the 2.52 standard grade cost times .8, not the base sum of all of the components (2.8) reduced by 30% (10% for suite and 20% for alpha) which would be 1.96.

I haven't gone through all of the suites to see if the essence costs for the higher grade versions were calculated through multipliers or through summing up the total essence reductions and multiplying them by the sum of all the components. But if the essence costs for the alpha and beta grade suites were all calculated the same way (the way the Lone Star suite was), then they are all incorrect and need to be fixed.

I just quickly added up the essence costs for the Zeiss suite. The essence cost of all the parts is 1.5, the base essence cost for the package is 1.35, the essence cost for the alphaware version of the package is 1.08, and the essence cost for the betaware version is .95. Those totals are calculated by taking the sum of the parts and multiplying by .9 for the base package, then taking that total and multiplying by .8 for alphaware, and taking the sum times .9 and multiplying by .7 for the essence cost of the betaware version. If all of the essence cost modifiers were added up then applied the essence costs of the cybersuite would be 1.35 for the standard grade, 1.05 for the alphaware grade (1.5 * .7), and .9 for the betaware version (1.5 * .6).

Not a big difference, but 2 of the suites essence costs were calculated by "..a series of multiples..." and not by summing up all the reductions and applying them to the base implant cost. So that's something that needs to be corrected.
Synner
Those suites are incorrectly stated and need to be fixed in errata, the basic formulas used "a series of multiples" and we simply didn't catch it.
Wanderer
Are you speaking as the writer of the Bioware chapter or the Type O Quality, Frank ? Because your reasoning still leaves me quite unconvinced. It seems to me that since neural bioware can come in A-D grades, too, it means there are extra levels of improved matching that one can have in order for that better grade neural bio to exist. The special nature of neural bioware is stated to be that it must be matched with the host's nervous system, not its immune system. Since the extra grades of neural bioware must represent something, I expect it to be full immune matching. And this is something that Type O can reproduce. Therefore, I expect Type O to make standard grade neural to work as Delta, too.

Of course, it is plain and clear that you cannot stack a non-standard grade with Type O. The latter already makes bioware as fully matched with the individual as it can ever be, so no point in implanting non-standard bio in a Type O guy. The Quality already makes all standard bio work as Delta, as good as it can ever be.

As regards the non-stacking of Biocompatibility and Type O, fine, I was doubtful myself, so this is a nice ruling for me, too.
Whipstitch
I'm not sure what's unconvincing about my reasoning or Frank's. A is not B. C gives a discount to A. That doesn't mean B gets a discount from C, even if A and B are closely related and similar in many ways.
PlatonicPimp
Yeah, but if cultured bioware still comes in grades, then obviously, even though it's all gene-matched, it can be more or less compatible. Maybe they still work off of some base stock and then modify it. Maybe it's easier to do that modification work to a type O patient.

Maybe the essence reduction from type O isn't because they bioware is already type O. Maybe it's because the very nature of the type O system (the lack of the protien markers that create bio-rejection) allows it to take new parts better. So no matter the parts, the system won't fight them as much. In other words, it's not that bioware is more compatable with the type O patient. It's that the type O patient is more compatible with Bioware.
FrankTrollman
Are you speaking as the writer of the Bioware chapter or the Type O Quality, Frank ? Because your reasoning still leaves me quite unconvinced.

The Medtech chapter. But let's look at Type O closely:

QUOTE (Augmentation @ p. 20)
Off the rack, basic bioware is considered delta grade for purposes of interacting with a type O body (i.e., reduce Essence Costs by half, though nuyen prices remain the same).

OK. So to get the bonus, the ware has to be "off-the-rack". That's a game term. It means Alpha and Standard grade. Heck, it's even specifically noted that Standard and Alpha Grade Bioware qualify as Type O on page 127:
QUOTE (Augmentation @ page 127)
Bioware (type O) is available ready-made in basic and alpha grades from a number of corporate suppliers and bio-banks. Betagrade and better bioware must also be tailored to and grown from the intended recipient’s tissue, just like cultured neurological bioware. Cultured bioware may also be alpha, beta, or delta grade.

Oh wait, what was that last part where Cultured Ware wasn't included in the Type O but still was allowed to have a grade? Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what it said. But also interestingly, it specifies that it must be "Basic Bioware". That's a game term as well. We turn to page 338 of your hymnal:

QUOTE (SR4 @ p. 338)
Basic Bioware

Can it get a whole lot clearer than that? There's a list of "basic bioware" in the book. It's not the same list as the list of "cultured bioware". I can go on at length about the in-game reasoning for this distinction, but in straight game mechanics there is a clear distinction between things which you get the Type O benefit from and things which you don't.

-Frank
Synner
Frank's analysis above is correct.
Rotbart van Dainig
Strictly speaking, it's useless to even get alphaware... because it just counts as delta.
PlatonicPimp
Ok, if that analysis is correct, why doesn't every peice of cultured bioware count as delta grade? How, if it's all grown from the patient's tissue and gene matched and everything, can there even BE standard greade cultured bioware?
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
Ok, if that analysis is correct, why doesn't every peice of cultured bioware count as delta grade? How, if it's all grown from the patient's tissue and gene matched and everything, can there even BE standard greade cultured bioware?

Hehe.
IMHO, the path of maximum sanity is to decide that the term "cultured bioware" is just a holdover from previous editions. With bioware on the same greek letter scale as cyberware, it's a useless term, and everything will go a whole lot more smoothly if we just forget about it. smile.gif
Jérémie
QUOTE (Wanderer)
It is a 30-pts quality. Picking it ensures you have little exceptional talent at anything else, but it also ensures you do have excellent potential to be turned into a full superhuman with relatively little expense. If you do mean to be ubersammie, it's definitely the Quality to take.

That's a flaw in itself. It's too bad that kind of Quality you take as a player, you will for non roleplay reason. In other word, that's a Deus ex machina thing imposed on your character for a player reasoning.

I would have written this as something one may develop after large amount of cybersurgeries for example. One can still have it at character creation (with the appropriate, but simple, background) but it can also develop it along the way; and both the player and the character are realistically in-synch with each other. It's also nicer on characters created before Augmentation was released.
ThreeGee
I would have written this as something one may develop after large amount  of cybersurgeries

No reason why that can't happen, if the player can save 60 points of karma.
Wanderer
Frank, your game-lingo semantic analysis is nice, informed, and eloquent about the fine points of game lingo, but sorry I fear it fails to address my point: I was not arguing about the meaning of the wording, I was putting the justification (or lack of it) into question for the interpretation you give of the rule. Taken what Type O is purported to do, the in-game biological justification this Quality is given, the way bioware is supposed to work, and the fact that neural bioware does exist in grades, the more we discuss this point, the more I get convinced that it is illogical for Type O to affect non-neural bioware and not neural bioware. Either grade A-D neural bioware does not exist, or Type O benefits it as well.

Even more, the more we discuss this point, the more I come to the realization and get convinced that one needs to be more radical: this distinction between somatic and neural bioware is an ugly legacy bit that is quite contradictory with real human biology, unnecessarily complicates game bookkeping, and adds really nothing to the game. Everything just flows smoother if this silly "cultured" stuff is scrapped. Bioware is bioware, it just comes in basic or standard grade, and A-D grades that do reflect increasingly perfect matching with the biology of of the individual, whatever place of the body you do implant it, nervous system or elsewhere. It is built in just the same way, it gets implanted and removed just the same way, works the same way, and affects Essence just the same way. The other way just adds bureaucratic madness to the game that needs triple somersaults from RL biology to be justified. And there is no real game need to do that, since cyberware, nonoware and geneware work quite fine and nicely without this stupid "cultured" distinction. If a writer or GM wants to make neural bioware more precious, just tinker with prices, Availability, or both. If this needs to be a house rule, so be it. It just brings the way bioware has evolved between editions to its final, natural consequences, doing away with legacy rules.
Whipstitch
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ Aug 3 2007, 12:05 PM)

I already covered that...

Tissue matching is the tip of the iceberg for making the body accept neural bioware. It's a bare minimum requirement because neural 'ware is so complex. The brain is plastic; in real life people have lost brain function in certain mental areas and then regained much of it because the brain rerouted itself to compensate. It literally changes itself around all the time. Brain plasticity is part of how children learn so easily at young ages. Theoretically, you could clone a brain from someone's own tissues, cram it in their skull and it wouldn't do a damned thing even if you kept the body from rejecting it because it's a blank slate. The brain models itself after it's own needs; it's not like a muscle where you connect this end to that end and stuff contracts and then your arm moves. Neural 'ware is tailored from day one to do a specific job and the higher grades would be tailored to mesh so well with the rest of your grey matter that your body would have to do a minimum of adaptation to make everything run smoothly rather than bombard you with random gibberish that the rest of your body doesn't know how to handle yet. It's hardly any more abstract than "Uh, the metal bits on this delta cyber arm are friendlier than the metal bits on that alpha arm." Honestly though, this has gone from questions about how the system works to "I think you guys were wrong to do it this way because it's not elegant." I also don't see how this clashes with human biology; by the logic Wanderer is using, it's like saying "We can make skin grafts for people just fine; we'll just do a brain transplant with the same techniques and everything will work out great."
FrankTrollman
Wanderer and PlatonicPimp:

Cultured Ware must be made for the person in question. There is no resale market of cultured ware because every set of cultured ware is unique. It is not just unique in terms of biochemical signals and surface proteins, but also unique in terms of wiring. Your brain isn't a factory-made unit that is physically identical to other brains and running different "software" that makes you a unique individual. The wiring is the software and it is more than anything else what makes you a unique snow flake.

Now the question of how integrated that neural connectivity is will remain an open one. A cerebral booster could be a largely self-contained sub unit that connected to the existing neural structure in some minimally effective fashion (satndard grade). It could also be deeply integrated on every level of the brain connecting continuously to every part of the central nervous system (delta). Or something in between.

Just because something is grown from your cells doesn't necessarily mean that it fits well into your body. Unless of course, you're starting with something that is already essentially a symbiote like a liver - in which case it actually does mean that. Shrug.

-Frank
Wanderer
QUOTE (Whipstitch)
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ Aug 3 2007, 12:05 PM)

I already covered that...

Tissue matching is the tip of the iceberg for making the body accept neural bioware. It's a bare minimum requirement because neural 'ware is so complex. The brain is plastic; in real life people have lost brain function in certain mental areas and then regained much of it because the brain rerouted itself to compensate. Brain plasticity is part of how children learn so easily at young ages. Theoretically, you could clone a brain from someone's own tissues, cram it in their skull and it wouldn't do a damned thing even if you kept the body from rejecting it because it's a blank slate. The brain models itself after it's own needs; it's not like a muscle where you connect this end to that end and stuff contracts and then your arm moves. Neural 'ware is tailored from day one to do a specific job and the higher grades would be tailored to mesh so well with the rest of your grey matter that your body would have to do a minimum of adaptation. It's hardly any more abstract than "Uh, the metal bits on this delta cyber arm is friendlier than the metal bits on that alpha arm."

It is quite true that the brain is plastic as you state it (and a host of recent discoveries do indicate that it is far more plastic and capable of self-repairing even in adulthood, than it was thought in the past), but it is quite difficult to use this as a justification to make neural bioware more likely to create more of a damage to holistic integrity, or needing special cultured cells from the subject itself, quite the contrary. Following this line of thought, the worst neural bioware can do if integration does not work smoothily, it is that the new cells do not perform as best as they could. It is mostly a matter of giving the right stimuli and training to have new cells integrate with old cells perfectly.
Whipstitch
Okay. So the brain retrains the new cells. What does that do? Would you like to buy some rating 3 Synaptic Boosters and then have your brain decide to reroute those expensive new cells to store all those awesome memories of last week's Combat Biker episode just because it doesn't know what else to do with it? I would think it'd it'd be easier to have the Delta Clinic experts go in and set everything up so your brain thinks reacting 4 times as fast as the average man is perfectly normal and that everything is already running A-OK rather than just doing the standard grade job and making your brain reshape itself without changing around the new hardware. Honestly, I don't see why you're fighting the idea that tailoring bioware to interfere as little as possible is beneficial. It's exactly the same justification used for every other chunk of 'ware in the game.

[EDIT] What the devs did isn't any different than just giving a list of 'ware that doesn't work with Type O or used 'ware, except they just call it cultured rather than non-type o compliant.
PlatonicPimp
So now we have different meanings of deltaware for basic and cultured bioware. Basic Bioware becomes higher grade the better it matches the target's biochemistry and genome. Integration has nothing to do with it (or else the type O wouldn't work at all, since it's all about biochem matching). But culuted bioware determines grade based on integration, not biochem.

Do I have it? does deltaware mean an entirely different thing for cultured bioware than it does for basic bioware?
Whipstitch
Yeah, that's how I figure it, fluff-wise.
Buster
I was just reading the Augmentation preview, good stuff.

However, one question: Why does an Orientation System cost so much and cost a full capacity point when it's included free with the commlink? Why does SR4 p. 318 and 227-328 say that a commlink only uses "wireless" navigation, but a GPS navigation system is needed when wireless is unavailable such as in wilderness areas. I'm no doctor, but doesn't GPS use satellites and wireless transmissions? And isn't wireless communication everywhere (except underground or in otherwise blocked areas) due to satellites? So where could GPS navigation possibly work that "wireless navigation" could not?
FrankTrollman
The Grid provides an internal navigation setup for everyone inside of it. GPS satelites orbit the planet and project location information to every point on it.

-Frank
Rotbart van Dainig
It's all a bit technical, but a Comlink is perfectly able to use satellite GPS (or receive FM, AM etc.)... it's a soft-radio, after all.

The only real advantage of an Orientation System is the gyroscope compass that gives you an absolute direction reference.
Ol' Scratch
The advantages of an Orientation System are the auto-mapping features as well as what is doubtlessly going to be the bonuses received when used with a Tactical Computer in Arsenal.
BRodda
OK, as no one else has asked it...

How much will a body get you from an organ jacker? I'm assuming that the more intact the more it's worth. Also how long to I have to get the body to one before it unsellable? And if they happen to have cyber or bio do I use the basic 30% fencing price added to the price of the body?

I can imagine that a street sam that has been mindfried by a mage going for a pretty hefty sum. Assuming that they spent 100K on their cyber/bio that's 30K to the guy who brought him in. That's a YEAR low lifestyle with 6K left over to party with in a big way. Not including how much you get for the rest of him. eek.gif

All I'm thinking now is that if you have a player who spent all their money on chrome and bio and lives a low or squatter lifestyle they might not want to advertise that to much. Otherwise people will be coming for MILES around just to kill them. Its even worth 10K to hire a good combat mage for the night to help minimize breakage.

*EDIT*
Also can you put autoinjectors anywhere? And it looks like they take no capacity?
Dancer
The inertial compass works inside wi-fi shielded corporate properties, underground, etc. GPS doesn't.
FrankTrollman
How much will a body get you from an organ jacker?

According to Glenn Swayne:
  • Off-the-Rack Cybernetics: 5% retail.
  • Basic Bioware: 20% retail.
  • Cultured or specialty ware: Nothing.
According to Kane:
  • Human Body (food): 3 nuyen.gif per kilogram
Remember that the costs of implantation include the implantation costs and you get exactly zero of that back - so organlegging has a much worse return on the original cost than does reselling stolen watches or guns.

-Frank
Buster
Ah, miniaturized gyroscope = inertial navigator that can be used inside wifi blocked areas, gotcha. Thx.
BRodda
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Aug 3 2007, 09:08 PM)
How much will a body get you from an organ jacker?

According to Glenn Swayne:

• Off-the-Rack Cybernetics: 5% retail.
  • Basic Bioware: 20% retail.
  • Cultured or specialty ware: Nothing.
According to Kane:

• Human Body (food): 3 nuyen.gif per kilogram
Remember that the costs of implantation include the implantation costs and you get exactly zero of that back - so organlegging has a much worse return on the original cost than does reselling stolen watches or guns.

-Frank

So in my example the sam with 100K in cyber will net you 5K from the organ jacker. Not great, but not that bad. It will keep your standard ganger in style of a few months.

And I'm assuming the 3 nuyen.gif is what I get if I don't get the body there in a timely manner. What is it worth if its other than "Food Grade" human? The fluff talks about a few hundred nuyen.gif
Ol' Scratch
75kg * 3-nuyen = 225-nuyen = "a few hundred nuyen." smile.gif

That aside, you're basically getting them to dispose a body for you. In all believability, you should be paying them for the service with the organlegging being the reason why they'd take it off your hands, not the other way around. Be happy it works as it does. smile.gif
BRodda
75kg * 3-nuyen = 225-nuyen = "a few hundred nuyen." smile.gif

Still think it should be a bit higher, but I guess that's the real reason why there are no fat guys in the Barrens.
I wonder if metatype and age affect the price. I'm sure that 3 nuyen.gif from chain smoking and nova coke addict "Bob the Hobo" is fine. But that 30 year old elf who jogs 15 miles a day and only eats organic meals would probably go for much higher.
Ancient History
Prices vary. A zobop might pay more if it's fresh and reasonably intact.
Rotbart van Dainig
The advantages of an Orientation System are the auto-mapping features as well as what is doubtlessly going to be the bonuses received when used with a Tactical Computer in Arsenal.

Tactical 'Computers' are in Unwired, and possibly just a program, running on a comlink.

On the other Hand, Mapsofts feature the automapping stuff themselves, and anyone with an Edit program loaded ino his commlink can do the same.
And of course, if you got cybereyes, cameras, ultrasound or stuff, they are created pretty much automatically, as is direction reference.
Ol' Scratch
Yes, if you sit there and manually edit it all in, hoping you get the details just right. Each and every step of the way.

An Orientation System makes accurate Mapsofts, and if you have a Radar Sensor, it makes them on the fly for rooms you haven't even stepped into yet. And regardless of what book it's going to be in, I can practically guarantee you that a Tactical Computer (which, if anything, is going to be a specialized commlink/transciever rather than "just a program") is going to gain benefits from the highly detailed, highly accurate, highly up-to-date information an Orientation System provides.

They've already proven that they're splitting concepts up between books (see: Jarheads). Sitting around whining about how "useless" something is because you haven't seen the full execution is pretty lame.
Rotbart van Dainig
Yes, if you sit there and manually edit it all in, hoping you get the details just right.  Each and every step of the way.

No. You can set programs to auto-run. See Sniffer, Browse, etc.

An Orientation System makes accurate Mapsofts

No. Per RAW, it only comes with an integrated editor program that allows the user to create maps.
Mapsofts, on the other hand, automatically update themselves per RAW.

(which, if anything, is going to be a specialized commlink/transciever rather than "just a program")

Synner seems to disagree.

They've already proven that they're splitting concepts up between books (see: Jarheads).  Sitting around whining about how "useless" something is because you haven't seen the full execution is pretty lame.

No. The only thing proven is that they implement watered down versions like Increased Sensitivity, which is completely superseded by Audio Enhancement - for the sake of diversity.
That being said, having an implanted gyroscope and thus +2 to navigation tests is quite not 'useless'.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012