Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Augmentation Q&A
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Synner
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Evil. Getting Smart Demolishers/Corrosives injected that activate once they leave your body makes you bleed like an Alien.

Yes. The combos can get quite interesting. I believe the Nanotech rules in this Edition make it much more flexible, practical and versatile than previous versions. The reduced prices also help.

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Some Nanites are labeled 'Soft/Hard' while other are 'Hard/Soft'.

Does that represent any difference?

No. Just a fluke.

Can the Positive Qualities Biocompatability (bioware) and Type 0 System be combined and stacked, or are they incompatible different versions of the same condition ? Same question for the Genecrafted and Genetic Heritage Qualities.

The Qualities were designed to work within the 35 point Quality limit and hence stacking was reduced (I suggest that even if you don't enforce the 35 point limit, you consider limiting stacking on the basis that both are rare genetic conditions). Though they aren't incompatible ruleswise, their basic concepts fluff-wise aren't entirely compatible either. Type O is a rare genetic condition, while Biocompatibility is a different (actually 2 different) genetic conditions which involves many of the same genesequences expressing in different ways.

Can the Positive Qualities Biocompatability (either version) and Type 0 System be bought post-character creation, as the effect of genetic treatments, or they have to be inborn qualities ? I expect that since genetic treatments can mess with the genome so radically as to make the DNA signature unrecognizable, they could make the subject cells' non-allergenic, or the body more accepting of implants.

They are considered innate qualities. Neither biotech nor genetech has been able to reproduce them through treatments - yet. Masking a DNA signature involves something a lot different than massive rewrites to your DNA (instead it makes changes to common polymorphic trait sequences) - something akin to changing only some of the reference points computers use to match your fingerprint.
Zeitgeist
Ok, first question, and the most pressing for me: with the Enhanced Pheromone Receptors there are fun social bonus rules that I absolutely love. But can the same be applied to the cybersnout? They're basically accomplishing the same goals, but is there a difference between the data that they give? And it didn't say if the EPRs were incompatible with the olfactory booster, and if it isn't, can you just block out or tone down the nasty city smells? Could you do that with simsense?

With the blood circuit control, it mentions that. if needed, the circulation could be cut from wherever the wound is. But wouldn't that cause some bigger issues, like losing a limb because it dies? Does the system have safety parameters built in so an organ doesn't fail because its in an area where there's massive bleeding that's about to stop, or is that the way the cookie crumbles?

The book mentions astral photography. Will this every be talked about in more than passing? Because, call me crazy, I tend to think that magic-technology interfaces are a big deal. But hey, that's just me...

can you truly kill a cyberzombie? I mean, the soul's bound to the shell, so it seems like while you can shoot the thing to hell, it won't really be dead, only very, very damaged. And almost all damage can be repaired, especialy if its mechanical. Would splatting a CZ's brains all over the room permanently disable it (leaving the soul trapped in/on the components it was bound to), or would it actually kill it?

And as for CZs suddenly getting good press when it finaly comes out, I'm pretty sure that the fact that those who undergo the procedure all are trapped in some existential crisis, or giving their ruger some head would spoil the deal a bit. That and the nasty marks they leave on the Astral. People are stupid, but I don't think they'd willingly thrust themselves into generations of private Hell.
The cyborg thing holds more potential in my mind, but maybe because I've just been reading Richard K. Morgan again. Yeah, they aren't able to have everyone implanted with a cortical stack, but people said that they wouldn't be able to clone and genetically modify people. So why isn't brainswapping all that far off (in gametime, that is)? Considering how far they seem to have before cybermancy is "perfected," say that getting put into a new sleeve (to totally jack Morgan's term) might happen sooner. A metal body is preferable to your own body when every cell in your being is screaming for the sweet release of death.
Yeah, I don't see CZs as playable. Eventually you'll either top yourself, or have a complete nervous breakdown. Mmmm, THAT'S a fun session, now isn't it?

Oh, and leave the orgasm spell alone. My mage/face has that spell, and it's damn useful. When you need to disable someone, which is better: causing them impossible pain, or giving them one hell of a ride? And for faciness, nothing is more useful than shaking a woman's hand as you're casting orgasm at force 1. For some reason they'll be thinking of you in a very different light. "He just touched me and...oh, I'll gladly tell him when I saw [insert important character here]." cool.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Zeitgeist)
With the blood circuit control, it mentions that. if needed, the circulation could be cut from wherever the wound is. But wouldn't that cause some bigger issues, like losing a limb because it dies? Does the system have safety parameters built in so an organ doesn't fail because its in an area where there's massive bleeding that's about to stop, or is that the way the cookie crumbles?

Keep in mind that it's cyberware and thus, can be hacked, too...
Zen Shooter01
Zeitgeist: I suppose that blood circuit control does what the rules say it does; it saves you instead of kills you. Notice that BCC only reduces damage, it doesn't eliminate it, so obviously the system is making trade-offs regarding bleeding.

You can assume that if they can implant a computer in your head, they can make BCC smart enough to be the help it's meant to be.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Zeitgeist)

and in a age where any lost limb can be replaced by either cloned or machine, this is a problem how?
Ravor
Unless I've missed something, Brain Hacking was dropped between Man and Machine and AUG, is it slated to appear in Unwired or is it gone for good?
Ravor
Also while I'm thinking about Magical LOS and cyberware, since they aren't really "vision" per say Ultrasound Sensors and the new Radar Sensors do not allow for Magical LOS even if they display their data as such, correct?
Jérémie
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jul 30 2007, 09:28 PM)
You could make a particularly strong argument that the Great Ghost Dance was the largest death magic effect in Shadowrun history.

The Great Ghost Dance was also, in part, sacrifice magic. I'm not sure its part of blood/death magic isn't, overall, a minority in the full ritual power (meaning the sacrifice part did overall fuel more of the rituals than the death magic part).
PlatonicPimp
Astral photography is kirlian photography.

Link for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirlian_photography
Big D
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
What happens if someon gets the bright idea to have his Ally inhabit a cyberzombie?

That's crazy talk. smile.gif

I would suspect that there would be serious problems involved with doing this, given the heavy voodoo requied just to keep the original soul chained to the body. An inhabitation could really wreck things.

How about inhabiting a cloned jarhead? Less powerful, maybe, but far more versatile. With the proper skills, it could be your hacker, your rigger, your ride, and your sam (albeit not all on the same IP). Inhabiting a cloned brain allows for DNI use, bypassing the normal inhabitation limits on mechanical objects. I'm not sure that flesh or hybrid merges would have any difference, either, and a true form just means that you break out another cloned brain and try again (less ick than inhabiting innocent metas).

In addition, if the jarhead was physically present (as opposed to remoting in from the safe house), the ally could still see and cast on the astral, which a normal cyborg couldn't do (one catch--what mental stats does an ally Inhabiting a freshly cloned brain, even a genetically optimized one, have?). Furthermore, if you retained the optic nerves on the cloned brain, and connected them to cybereyes, you could even have a cyborg that could cast normally as long as the jarhead was physically loaded in. To protect against headshots, just connect the cybereyes to magesight goggles and leave the jarhead itself slotted deep inside the chest.

Is there a reason why the corps aren't trying stuff like this? It sure seems like allies are a relatively fast, simple, and more powerful way to do cyborg/CZ. They don't need IMS, they don't go insane at the drop of a hat, and they aren't tortured souls who could turn on their masters for revenge. The only catch that I can think of (other than karma requirements) is that they would be inherently loyal to their mage, not to the corp. But that can be handled more easily (corp keeps all the formula copies, only loyal or brainwashed mages are used, etc.) than going through all of the hassle of dealing with metahuman minds and souls.

Or is something like that actually going on, and is just waiting for Arsenal to be revealed?
Ravor
Perhaps the fact that less then 1% of the world's population are Mages puts a damper on the research?
apple
Not directly a rules question.

I bought the Augmentation PDF from battlecorps.com for 25$. Do I have the permission to legally print the PDF for personal use?

Because reading Augmentation in the bath tube is a little bit problematic with a 19" monitor smile.gif

SYL
Adam
QUOTE (apple)
I bought the Augmentation PDF from battlecorps.com for 25$. Do I have the permission to legally print the PDF for personal use?

Absolutely.
Big D
QUOTE (Ravor @ Aug 1 2007, 12:00 PM)
Perhaps the fact that less then 1% of the world's population are Mages puts a damper on the research?

Still sounds easier than the massive voodoo actually *used* to create CZs.

If there are mages guarding every major corp building, enough to build wards left and right, and enough initiates to conduct high-level magical research for every single corp worth its stock, there should be a few working for the AAAs capable of doing this.

Unlike "natural" cyborgs, they'd never really be able to mass-produce ally borgs--but I'd think they could turn them out faster and easier (and far safer) than true CZs.

Also, really stupid question: could you inhabit a metahuman, and *then* drive their essence below 0 (since you can inhabit objects with no essence just as easily)? Or does the act of taking a metahuman below 0 essence disrupt an inhabiting spirit just as it forces out a normal soul? If so, any mage working for a body shop could potentially produce ally CZs.
Jaid
i would personally rule that installing cyberware into a flesh form inhabitation, you're going to cost the spirit essence, which means force... which means the spirit isn't going to be happy, to put it mildly =S
hyzmarca
1% if six billion is sixty million. It isn't exactly a small number.

There are fewer dedicated professional research scientists in the world than there are mages in the world.
Ravor
Sixty million Awakened people, not sixty million Mages, you have to account for the Adepts, Mystic Adepts, Mages, Astral Sight, Spell Knack, Spirit Knack.

And then after weeding out the Awakened Population who simply can't do what you want them to do you have to find the ones who have the drive and talent to make good researchers.
hyzmarca
Which, when you factor in the face that pretty much every major Science and Engineering University has developed a Thaumaturgy program, would be about as common as mundane research scientists.
Ravor
I disagree because simply being Awakened doesn't mean you will become more driven or smarter then Joe Average down the street and I have yet to see anything that says magic favors smart and driven people.

Percentage wise? Sure you will have the same percentage of Mages who become research scientists as you have mundanes who become research scientists, but the actual raw numbers are going to be much, much smaller because you start out with a much smaller population to begin with.

*Edit*

Slight clarifaction.
hyzmarca
The actual number of people who attend excellent engineering colleges like MIT is limited not by the drive of the individual but by the capacity of the school. The same will be true when it becomes MIT&T. People get turned down, left and right, because of limited capacity.
Ravor
Sure, but you have to remember that the population of people who can apply to any given mundane classes are more then 100x the population of the people who can apply to any given magical class, and not everyone who Awakens is going to have the background, intelligence, drive, or even desire needed to excel as a magical research scientist just like not every Joe Mundane could handle being a researcher either.
hyzmarca
Sure, but post-grad thaumaturgy programs will have about as many open slots of postgrade molecular biology programs and the like, and there will be more applicants than there will be slots.

Awakened individuals have more opportunities, per capita, than mundanes have.
Ravor
Yeah I agree, Mages and Adepts do have more opportunities per capita then mundanes do. Where I disagree is with the notion that with more then a 100x population gap the increased opportunities will result in anything close to an equal number of magical researchers as mundane researchers.

Percentage wise there are roughly just as many idiot Mages as mundanes, and just as few exceptional ones. If you disagree with that then we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Ancient History
Dinnae forget theoretical thaumaturges.
Ravor
Hmm, excellent point as always Ancient History.
nathanross
Sorry to interrupt, but I have yet to hear an official reply to the Type O quality.

Does it affect cultured as well as basic bioware. At 30BP it is steep and for good reason, it allows you to fit twice as much bioware. However, it only seems like it would be a problem after a long time since it doesnt actually give you the bioware cheaper.

Still, a response please?
damaleon
I've got a question about the new eyeware:

With the Eye Tool Laser being listed as a sub of the Eye Laser System, am I right in assuming that to have the Tool, you have to have the System in your cybereyes and [9] capacity to spare?

Whipstitch
My guess is that Type O doesn't affect cultured-only bioware. On page 61 they equate cultured-only bioware with neural bioware, and apparently it has to mesh just right with your brain and nervous system to even work right, so it's not just a matter of blood type matching and immune suppression.
Synner
QUOTE (Zeitgeist @ Aug 1 2007, 12:52 PM)
Ok, first question, and the most pressing for me: with the Enhanced Pheromone Receptors there are fun social bonus rules that I absolutely love. But can the same be applied to the cybersnout? They're basically accomplishing the same goals, but is there a difference between the data that they give? And it didn't say if the EPRs were incompatible with the olfactory booster, and if it isn't, can you just block out or tone down the nasty city smells? Could you do that with simsense?

Yes, they have similar functions and grant similar abilities, however, the data they produce is different and the olfactory booster doesn't make you more susceptible to the physiological effects of smells (which EPR achieves by enhancing the neural connectivity for olfactory stimuli to the relevant part of the brain and gives its Social modifiers). On the plus side the olfactory booster allows you to tune out smells, while the EPR doesn't.

The system is smart enough to understand when to cut off, but ultimately it will let you loose the limb rather than let you die.

The book mentions astral photography. Will this every be talked about in more than passing?

It's been introduced in SR3 and its likely to be in Arsenal.

can you truly kill a cyberzombie? I mean, the soul's bound to the shell, so it seems like while you can shoot the thing to hell, it won't really be dead, only very, very damaged. And almost all damage can be repaired, especialy if its mechanical. Would splatting a CZ's brains all over the room permanently disable it (leaving the soul trapped in/on the components it was bound to), or would it actually kill it?

If you destroy enough of its physical shell the magics keeping the spirit bound to it will fail, much the same way that as shooting the hell out of an inhabiting Insect spirit will kill it.

QUOTE (Ravor)
I was wondering what the offical stance was on whether or not you needed a sim-module to issue mental commands to your non-implanted gear was?

Note that none of my answers on DSF are "official" until they're included in either errata or a FAQ.

That being said a sim module isn't strictly necessary. A datajack or other DNI pan-connection would cover that as long as your wirelessly linked to the gear. Sim modules are only really necessary to reproduce simsense.

Also as a side note, do you need a trodenet/datajack in order to issue mental commands to a smartlinked gun if you are using the smartlink implant or can your cybereyes handle that wirelessly?

They can handle that wirelessly over a PAN or directly.

For that matter, could you use any implant with DNI to issue mental commands to your gear wirelessly?

Pretty much, though technically your GM would be correct in requiring that the DNI device be something capable of passing on instructions rather than simply running diagnostics or performing preset functions (ie. the default setting on most cyberlimbs) - but anything capable of linking up with a PAN should be able to pass on simple instructions (ie. a datajack, etc). Your GM may also consider limiting the type of instructions sent to something very simple if the device isn't really designed for the purpose (ie. a math SPU).
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Synner)

Yes, they have similar functions and grant similar abilities, however, the data they produce is different and the olfactory booster doesn't make you more susceptible to the physiological effects of smells (which EPR achieves by enhancing the neural connectivity for olfactory stimuli to the relevant part of the brain and gives its Social modifiers). On the plus side the olfactory booster allows you to tune out smells, while the olfactory booster doesn't.

hmm maybe you need to go back and edit this abit,,,seems to be abit confusing. smile.gif
Zeitgeist
QUOTE (Synner @ Aug 1 2007, 05:37 PM)

Yes, they have similar functions and grant similar abilities, however, the data they produce is different and the olfactory booster doesn't make you more susceptible to the physiological effects of smells (which EPR achieves by enhancing the neural connectivity for olfactory stimuli to the relevant part of the brain and gives its Social modifiers). On the plus side the olfactory booster allows you to tune out smells, while the olfactory booster doesn't.

Ok, I guess I'm slow, because I'm still confused. Are you saying that the olfactory booster just gives you hard data ("you smell the following molecular compound that makes up a metahuman pheromone"), while the EPR puts the pheromonal info into the context because we're still living beings? Are the social bonuses not aplicable to the olfactory booster? Are the two incompatible? Or can the OB be used to filter the input from the EPR?

I'm stumbling over this because the cons of the EPR seem to outweigh the pros. I mean, the pros are fantastic, but of little consolation when you can smell your next door neighbor's response to a bad Stuffer's Shack burrito, realizing that half of Seattle seems to have forgotten how to use deodorant, and getting nasally blinded by the stench of spent gunpowder in a firefight. And while the respirator helps, having to take it on and off seems to be impractical. Unless there are some sort of minifilters? Some sort of headware that can let you control how much sensory input you let through (like the sound isolator)? Nanomachines seem to be the answer for everything now, as well...

Frankly, I think that knowing if a member of your team washes his/her hands after hitting the can falls under the "things you don't want to have to know" category...
Dancer
QUOTE (Zeitgeist)
And while the respirator helps, having to take it on and off seems to be impractical.

Internal Air Tank (or Oxyrush nano). Just hold your breath.
TonkaTuff
Since respirators only seem to negate the penalties associated with using the EPR in a strongly-scented environment, and apparently don't affect the positive aspects, there'd be little reason to take it off unless you were somewhere you knew to be "safe". With the high levels of pollution, threat of bio/chem attacks (or simply paranoia of same), deadly airborne diseases, and allergies generally being the rule, rather than the exception, walking around downtown with a respirator on is fairly common. They've even been incorporated into 6th World fashion trends.

As for compatibility between the implants - unless they errata it later, there doesn't seem to be any reason for them not to work together. From the text, it seems that the Olfactory Booster is largely focused on pre-processing and the EPR is post-processing. The OB breaks-down and analyzes scents before they hit your brain and sends the information along (or blocks it, depending on your settings). Then it's up to you to interpret the data it presents you with (which is why you don't get the social bonuses - interpretation and integration is a one-off affiar). The EPR, on the other hand, appears to enhance your brain's ability to work with that data once it gets there. And so, the cut-out ability of the former would seem to be perfectly suited to filter out distracting odors.
Synner
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Aug 2 2007, 03:06 AM)
QUOTE (Synner)

hmm maybe you need to go back and edit this abit,,,seems to be abit confusing. smile.gif

Fixed.

Ok, I guess I'm slow, because I'm still confused. Are you saying that the olfactory booster just gives you hard data ("you smell the following molecular compound that makes up a metahuman pheromone"), while the EPR puts the pheromonal info into the context because we're still living beings? Are the social bonuses not aplicable to the olfactory booster?

That's pretty much it. See the fluff example of cybereyes in the "Detachment" section of the fiction in the Cyberware chapter. What happens with cyber is that your brain gets the data, cleaned up, processed, and artificial.

The difference lies in the fact that EPR also enhances the neurosensory transmission to the parts of the brain that handle emotions (ie. triggering emotional cues and affecting body language). What grants Social modifiers is the fact that your body is subconciously reacting to this sensory information.

Or what TonkaTuff just said.

Are the two incompatible? Or can the OB be used to filter the input from the EPR?

They aren't technically incompatible, but since EPR also involves increasing the olfactory sensory capabilities of the (biological) nose I'd rule that you only get the dice bonus from one or the other - rather than making them cumulative.

I'm stumbling over this because the cons of the EPR seem to outweigh the pros. I mean, the pros are fantastic, but of little consolation when you can smell your next door neighbor's response to a bad Stuffer's Shack burrito, realizing that half of Seattle seems to have forgotten how to use deodorant, and getting nasally blinded by the stench of spent gunpowder in a firefight. And while the respirator helps, having to take it on and off seems to be impractical. Unless there are some sort of minifilters? Some sort of headware that can let you control how much sensory input you let through (like the sound isolator)? Nanomachines seem to be the answer for everything now, as well...

You've hit upon the downside of most bioware sensory enhancements. You can't really control the expanded acuity any more than you can turn up or down your natural hearing or sense of smell. You'll see the Audio enhancement has a similar drawback.

We'll probably have mini-nosefilters in Arsenal and standard respirators are in common use in most sprawls so its hardly impractical...

We did have a set of sensory dampers (cyberware similar to a data filter) that actively reduced neurotransmission of sensory data to certain areas of thE brain. But it was so specific in function (ie. filters for natural or bio sensory organs) we ended up dropping them for space.

Frankly, I think that knowing if a member of your team washes his/her hands after hitting the can falls under the "things you don't want to have to know" category...

This is still one of the advantages of cyber over bio, it's a machine you can tune.
Ol' Scratch
Am I reading you right, or are you saying that implants like the Olfactory Booster don't actually boost your olfactory capabilities? That it's just a sensor shoved in your nose and displays a read-out on your image link. That's about the only way I can see it working as you described, because if it actually sent the enhanced data to your brain, your brain would still be the main processor. The Olfactory Booster would simply be augmenting that capability in the same end fashion as the EPR would. The only difference would -- and should -- be how the sensor itself worked.

And if you are saying its merely a sensor and that sends visual data to an image link... well, that's pretty silly because then you're essentially implying that that's how everything else works, too. That cybereyes don't actually send images to the brain, it sends a text read-out of what it sees. That cyberears don't send sounds to the brain, it sends a text read-out of what it hears. etc.

It's not like a real eye is a data-processing machine, either. It's not all "okay, I see a bird; brain, you see a bird." It just sends the image it sees to the brain and the brain interprets and processes it as appropriate.
Blade
> You see a patrolling guard *sounds of the guard's footsteps*
Hide

> There is no place to hide
Shoot

> Shoot what ?
Shoot the guard

> You shoot the guard *sound of the gun*
Synner
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Am I reading you right, or are you saying that implants like the Olfactory Booster don't actually boost your olfactory capabilities? That it's just a sensor shoved in your nose and displays a read-out on your image link. That's about the only way I can see it working as you described, because if it actually sent the enhanced data to your brain, your brain would still be the main processor. The Olfactory Booster would simply be augmenting that capability in the same end fashion as the EPR would. The only difference would -- and should -- be how the sensor itself worked.

No the difference is in the information conveyed, the intensity, and the way that information is used by the brain. While you can tune the Olfactory booster to regulate the intensity and quality of the data the human brain processes it just like any sensory data - meaning you'll get all the same reactions an unaugmented human would to that intensity and "quality" of scent. So while it will let you smell "fear" on a person, or phermones put out by someone attracted to you - your own reaction to this data is, for lack of a better word, unaugmented.

The ERP implant enhances the neurological connections not only to the parts of the brain that proccess the olfactory senses, but it also enhances your susceptibility to the emotional stimulus/cues carried by scents to "superhuman" levels. This can be a good or a bad thing.
Wanderer
QUOTE (nathanross)
However, it only seems like it would be a problem after a long time since it doesnt actually give you the bioware cheaper.

Still, a response please?

Well, allowing people to have effective delta bioware at basic bio prices is a huge, huge nuyen saving, if you ask me. It makes military cutting-edge stuff available that much sooner. Quite the nice Quality if you wish to build Midnighter or Dark Angel the Bio Sammie. It may not be that much of a difference for the 300-pts. gang kid for whom even the prices of basic bio may be still a concern, but for a 500-pts elite operative it makes a world of difference.
Wanderer
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Aug 1 2007, 11:16 PM)
My guess is that Type O doesn't affect cultured-only bioware. On page 61 they equate cultured-only bioware with neural bioware, and apparently it has to mesh just right with your brain and nervous system to even work right, so it's not just a matter of blood type matching and immune suppression.

I really don't see why it should not affect neural bioware as well (I really, really wish they'd dropped the cultured label for sure; it only creates confusion with bioware grades). Even if you have to tweak all neural bioware to make it mesh with individual nervous system patterns, blood/immune type matching is still going to be an issue, which perfect, non-allergenic matching nicely sidesteps. This from a fluff-wise POV. Ruleswise, you can still buy neural bioware at Alpha, Beta, or Delta grades, and Type O allows to buy basic grade bio as Delta grade, so it should work for that as well.
apple
I hope this question wasn´t ask before (just point me to the answer if it has been answered):

Do we add or multiply percentages in SR4? Is there a hard rule? For example alphaware and adapsin:

10% + 10% = 20% reduction

or

x0,9 x0,9 = x0,81 multiplier?

This question becomes important with the many different reductions or increases you have in augmentation.
Ol' Scratch
The rule of thumb is 10% + 10% + 10% = 30% = x0.7. It's not 10% of 10% of 10% or x0.9 x0.9 x0.9. You can find an example of this in Street Magic when they discuss the reductions to Initiation costs.
jklst14
Synner,
Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. A few questions:

1. Regarding bioware sensory improvements, shouldn't AR (with a sim module) be able to tune out unpleasant odors? Especially considering AR can create things like Virtual Weather?

2. To repeat a question from before, does Daradrenaline give a +1 modifier to Drain resistance?

3. Another quick repeat, does Simsense Boosting stack with a technomancer's Overclocking? Does the Encephalon's bonuses to the Cracking and Electronic Groups work for a technomancer?

Thanks,

JKL
Shrike30
QUOTE (Zeitgeist)
I'm stumbling over this because the cons of the EPR seem to outweigh the pros ... And while the respirator helps, having to take it on and off seems to be impractical.

There was a sorta bad, but sorta cool anime that came out a few years ago that translated to "Speed Grapher" or something along those lines... a few of the characters in an otherwise standard modern environment had superpowers. One character had an incredibly sensitive nose, and was employed by a syndicate to run down people hiding from them by following the scent of their pheromones, sometimes for miles.
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
The rule of thumb is 10% + 10% + 10% = 30% = x0.7. It's not 10% of 10% of 10% or x0.9 x0.9 x0.9. You can find an example of this in Street Magic when they discuss the reductions to Initiation costs.

So if that's the case, then deltaware + adapsin + bio-compatablility means cybernetics for 30% essence loss, not 40.5% essence loss?
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Aug 2 2007, 11:34 AM)
The rule of thumb is 10% + 10% + 10% = 30% = x0.7.  It's not 10% of 10% of 10% or x0.9 x0.9 x0.9.  You can find an example of this in Street Magic when they discuss the reductions to Initiation costs.

So if that's the case, then deltaware + adapsin + bio-compatablility means cybernetics for 30% essence loss, not 40.5% essence loss?

That's how I'd rule it.
PlatonicPimp
I'd rule it the other way, because that 10% difference is big enough to bother me.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
I'd rule it the other way, because that 10% difference is big enough to bother me.

Because if someone has adapsin, bio-compatability, that much deltaware, the 10% is what's going to make them overpowered. wink.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
That question was already covered in the original Augmention thread.

It indeed simply adds up, to 30%.
PlatonicPimp
Yes.

I sometimes do my bio-compatability backwards. In other words, how many "virtual" essence points does this cost reduction give me? It breaks down when you mix grades, but it gives a basic idea.

Multiplying multipliers, you get a "virtual" essence of 14.8 (inverse of 40.5% is 247%, of 6). Adding multipliers and then figurin it, assuming everything was deltaware, means you get a virtual essence of 20 ( Inverse of 30% is 333%, of 6). Serious difference.
Ancient History
Math notice: the first is a percentage reduction, the second is a cost multiplier.

For the following examples, let us say you have a cyberimplant that costs 1.0 Essence, and you apply three modifiers (percent reduction/cost multiplier) to the Essence cost - the implant is deltaware (-50%/0.5) and you have adapsin (-10%/0.9) and biocompatibility (-10%/0.9)

If you add the reductions before applying, then (-50%) + (-10%) + (-10%) = (-70%), giving a final Essence cost of 0.3.

If you apply the reductions seperately, then ((1.0 x (0.5)) x (0.9)) x (0.9) = 0.405 Essence.

So a character with Biocompatibility (cyberware) and adapsin who only took deltaware implants would receive a (-70%/0.3) if adding or (-59.5%/0.405) if multiplying.

[/edit] In other words, you do better to simply add the percentage reduction than to apply the modifiers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012