Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Augmentation Q&A
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
raverbane
I did a few searches and couldn't find a reference to this question. If it has already been asked and answered, please post a link.

The Learning Stimulus neural amplifier states "When raising a Knowledge or Language skill the already possesses, LS nanoware reduces the Karma cost by one for each rating."

If someone is raising a Knowledge skill from 1 to 2 and has a Rating 3 LS system, does it cost 0 Karma? Or is there a minimum 1 Karma, reguardless of the cost reduction?
Stahlseele
probably a minimum of 1, like the old mnemonic enhancer in SR3.
the only thing that overcomes the minimum of 1 karma is the adept power linguistics, which lets the adept learn one language skill at level 1 after being exposed to it for some hours and then succeeding an magic test . .
Fortune
QUOTE (Stahlseele)
probably a minimum of 1, like the old mnemonic enhancer in SR3.
the only thing that overcomes the minimum of 1 karma is the adept power linguistics, which lets the adept learn one language skill at level 1 after being exposed to it for some hours and then succeeding an magic test . .

And the description of that Power specifically states the exception to the pretty much general rule that modifiers cannot reduce costs to less than 1 Karma. I figure that unless there is specific notation to delineate when an exception to a rule occurs, the general rule (or common sense) applies.
Shrike30
QUOTE (Fortune)
{Nanohives} should take up both Essence and capacity (when installed in a cyberlimb or the like) according to the fluff description, but as written right now they would only take capacity.

Of course, if just implanted in the body the Hives just take up Essence.

Why would they take up essence implanted in a cyberlimb? The nanite system they're sustaining might (can't remember if there's any nanosystems with an essence cost), but if it's in a cyberlimb, it shouldn't use up any more essence than a cyberlimb stereo system.
Fortune
QUOTE (Shrike30)
Why would they take up essence implanted in a cyberlimb? The nanite system they're sustaining might (can't remember if there's any nanosystems with an essence cost), but if it's in a cyberlimb, it shouldn't use up any more essence than a cyberlimb stereo system.

Because the description depicts the Nanite Hive replacing parts of the character's organs as part of the normal implantation process. Putting it in a cyberarm shouldn't alleviate this necessity.
NightRain
QUOTE (Fortune)
Because the description depicts the Nanite Hive replacing parts of the character's organs as part of the normal implantation process. Putting it in a cyberarm shouldn't alleviate this necessity.

The nanite hive probably shouldn't be able to be installed in a cyberlimb anyway. Nanites are designed to move through the hosts circulatory system, something that doesn't extend to a cyberlimb
Fortune
I don't really have a problem with the hardware being partly housed in a cyberlimb, but there is no reason why installing it in said limb should alleviate the otherwise necessary partial replacement of the patient's organs.
Shrike30
Ah, okay. That makes sense smile.gif Maybe two different essence costs listed, with one for (partial) installation in a cyberlimb (which would also have a capacity cost) and the other for completely meat-borne hives?
Fortune
That's the thing. There is, in a way, a dual Essence cost. 0.5 + 0.25/rating. I am thinking of house ruling the 0.5 fixed cost to be always applicable, even if implanted in a cyberlimb.
raverbane
We ever gonna see an Augmentation Errata?

And before someone posts the smartarse remark about this isnt the right thread and it should be posted in the Augmentation errata thread...

The title of this thread is "Augmentation Q&A"
with the subheading "Ask the developers and the authors"

I have a question to be answered and this was it!
Demerzel
Yes.

Some day we will see an Augmentation errata. The really good question would be, "When will we see an Augmentation errata?"

Synner
Yes, you gonna see an Augmentation errata.
Cardul
In the NanoFax stuff, it lists an Evo(I think it is?) Subscription, with an availability that was neither R nor was it too high for someone to start with in chargen, but..it was never described as to what the subscription was. Is it just what the people who manage to get the Nanofax use to validate that they can have the stuff(even though I would assume that would be under the licensing)? Or is it something for PCs(which could be assumed by the low availability and actually in the realm of affordable at chargen price)? If for PCs, is it like one utfit per month? Or is there some sort of limit or what?
Synner
The license allows you to legally possess and operate the nanofax to produce a few basic designs. The subscription allows you to access any (archived or new) nanospecs from the corporate databases - these are not stored in the nanofax but downloaded on demand for security.

Nanofaxes are a potentially dangerous technology that have as many built in (hardware and protocol) safeguards as possible.
JonathanC
Just a clarification, but the section on single cybereyes mentions that you can get one in your forehead, and that it works in addition to (cyber)eyes. Does this mean that you have to have existing cybereyes? Or could a person who doesn't want to rip out their own eyeballs just have a cybereye installed in their forehead (hey, maybe even a pair!) and use them when they need imagelinking and such, and then cover them up with a beanie or baseball cap when they want to use their normal eyes?
hobgoblin
well im no dev, but i would allow it smile.gif

could risk a distinctive style kind of flaw tho wink.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Synner)
The absence of DNA scanners is at least partially an unfortunate result of the change in the release schedule. Arsenal will contain such forensic devices, we had expected it to be out first. Those who need a rule can use the Diagnostics rules in the Medtech chapter.

So, where are the DNA Scanners in Arsenal? indifferent.gif
Synner
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Mar 29 2008, 12:51 PM) *
So, where are the DNA Scanners in Arsenal? indifferent.gif

An entire section on Forensics was unfortunately cut from Arsenal due to space limitations. We'll see where we can slip it in. For now, I reiterate the suggestion of using the Diagnostics rules in the Medtech chapter as a placeholder.

BTW- Finally found the unpublished Guardian Angel implant writeup and will be posting it when I get home tonight.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Synner @ Mar 29 2008, 02:08 PM) *
An entire section on Forensics was unfortunately cut from Arsenal due to space limitations.

Well, at least the Forensics Toolkit and the anti-DNA-spray made it.

QUOTE (Synner @ Mar 29 2008, 02:08 PM) *
BTW- Finally found the unpublished Guardian Angel implant writeup and will be posting it when I get home tonight.

Yay! love.gif
Daier Mune
I can't seem to find this question asked anywhere, but in Augmentation, there are two listings for transgenetic modifications. the costs on page 90 are less than the costs listed in the tables at the back of the book (173). which of the two listings are correct?
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jul 28 2007, 07:50 PM) *
Can the Headware mods Radar Sensor and Ultrasound Sensor be used in goggles/glasses/contacts at the stated capacity usage?

Also the same question for the Eyewear mod Microscopic Vision?

It looks like Radar made it into Arsenal, but not Ultrasound or Microscopic Vision. Was this an oversight, or intentional?
Rotbart van Dainig
Ultrasound can be installed in goggles and cameras since the BBB.

And Microscopic Vision is a scam, sorry - the two bonus dice most likely come from the headrest:
Standard Vision Mag is 50x - that's enough to percieve anything you can still manipulate.
Synner
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Synner)

Yay!

QUOTE (Unpublished and Unofficial)
IMPLANTED NANO-MEDKITS
Various corporations have developed and commercialized nano-medkits. These nanocybernetics combine a medkit's diagnosis processor and pharmaceutical dispenser, a specialized nanohive, a nano-biomonitor, and several nanoware systems. The best known models on the market are CrashCart's Med-Alert II and Ares Macrotech's Guardian Angel. The nano-medkit is triggered automatically when the nano-biomonitor detects a potentially dangerous health condition such as injury, infection, or the presence of a toxin.
All nano-medkits include a dermal port from which the system can be resupplied; nano-medkits may also be implanted in cyberlimbs.
Diagnosis, First Aid and Medicine Tests made by the nano-medkit roll only the nano-medkit's Rating.

CrashCart Med-Alert: This functions as an implanted Rating 6 medkit, nano-biomonitor, and a Rating 3 nanohive. The integral nanohive supports Nanosymbiotes, O-Cells, and Universal Nantidotes (all at Rating 4). It also provides a +2 dice pool modifier to Medicine or First Aid Tests to stabilize critical wounds (p. 224, SR4).
Guardian Angel: This mil-tech grade implant is provides all the functions of a Rating 6 medkit, nano-biomonitor, and a Rating 4 nanohive. The nanohive supports 4 medical nanoware systems Nanosymbiotes (or Implant Medics), O-Cells, TCS and Universal Nantidotes (all at Rating 4). It also provides a +2 dice pool modifier to Medicine or First Aid Tests to stabilize critical wounds (p. 224, SR4).

Nanocybernetics Essence Capacity Availability Cost
CrashCart Med-Alert 1.25 [4] 8 75,000
Ares Guardian Angel 1.5 [4] 14R 110,000

Complete
QUOTE (Daier Mune)
I can't seem to find this question asked anywhere, but in Augmentation, there are two listings for transgenetic modifications. the costs on page 90 are less than the costs listed in the tables at the back of the book (173). which of the two listings are correct?

Genetech costs on pp.89-93 are the correct ones - they were a late change and we missed the charts at the back of the book.
nathanross
thx Synner!
Rotbart van Dainig
Thanks, Synner.

So basically, nano-biomonitor + nano-hive + saviour-nanites = implanted medkit rating 6? (the other systems providing their usual additional benefits?)
Daier Mune
QUOTE (Synner @ Mar 29 2008, 08:04 PM) *
Genetech costs on pp.89-93 are the correct ones - they were a late change and we missed the charts at the back of the book.

domo arigato mister roboto
apple
QUOTE (Synner @ Aug 9 2007, 09:48 AM) *

When Sync, Augmentation p. 91, refers to Combat Tests, this means both Ranged and Unarmed AND on the attack and on the defense, right?

Yes.

What exactly is defined as an combat test?
1) Defense + full defense
3) Tests with ranged weapons
3) Unarmed and armed close combat

4) Spell casting?
5) Spell defense?
6) Hacker combat in AR
7) Hacker combat in VR
cool.gif Vehicle combat if you are in the vehicle or controling a drone
9) Vehicle / drone combat if you are fighting against a vehicle/drone
10) Astral combat, attack and defense

1-3 should be clear, what about the rest?

SYL
FrankTrollman
What exactly is defined as an combat test?

The Combat Test is an opposed roll defined on pages 138-139 of the basic book.

1) Defense + full defense - Yes
3) Tests with ranged weapons - Yes
3) Unarmed and armed close combat - Yes

4) Spell casting? - Only Indirect Combat Spells, they are resolved as a combat test, others are resolved as a spell resistance test.
5) Spell defense? - No.
6) Hacker combat in AR - No.
7) Hacker combat in VR - No.
8> Vehicle combat if you are in the vehicle or controling a drone - Yes
9) Vehicle / drone combat if you are fighting against a vehicle/drone - Yes
10) Astral combat, attack and defense - Yes

-Frank
apple
Thank you.

SYL
FrankTrollman
No problem. While that item was written very precisely, it is nonetheless easy to get combat tests confused with combat skill tests - a category of tests which would include unarmed strikes, sniper rifle shots, and full defense pools including Dodge, but not Firebolts (a Magic skill test), full defenses including Gymnastics (a Physical skill test), or Drone attacks (a Vehicle skill test). I am sorry that those two categories have such confusingly similar names.

-Frank
Rotbart van Dainig
The Altskin 'upgrade' Shifter can change skin textures.

Does this mean that the Reprint 'upgrade' is a blatant rip-off?
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (Riley37 @ Sep 22 2007, 03:43 AM) *
I am not convinced that all secondhand ware should follow the Secondhand Ware rules. If your buddy dies, and his will says that you get his suprathyroid, and a skilled, well-equipped doctor cuts it out of his throat while his body is still warm and puts it into yours... should you really pay a higher Essence cost, than if you got a new one from Evo?

Think of it this way - that gland has been sitting in your buddy's throat, interacting with his immune system, for awhile now. It's probably FULL of non-type-O proteins picked up from various bits of his circulatory system that have over-grown inthe organ. Remember that the body is a very dynamic environment, and the new organ has to integrate with the host - part of the 'healing time' involves that body incorporating the organ into its own structure.

From a more mystical side, that organ now has the astral 'residue' of your buddy's aura. It's going to have a hard time shifting to match yours.
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (Tycho @ Sep 4 2007, 10:09 AM) *
may be it spins independently inside your head?

... did you know the microwave was invented by people noticing that radar dishes tended to cook birds that flew by too close?

So unless it's mounted on top of your skull, when it sweeps back around to cover the 'back', it's going to be beaming some pretty intense wattage straight through your brain. Sizzle, pop, fizz.

CanRay
QUOTE (HentaiZonga @ Apr 22 2008, 03:07 PM) *
... did you know the microwave was invented by people noticing that radar dishes tended to cook birds that flew by too close?

So unless it's mounted on top of your skull, when it sweeps back around to cover the 'back', it's going to be beaming some pretty intense wattage straight through your brain. Sizzle, pop, fizz.

"Hey, check it out! If we put a Pre-Pack Insta-Meal on Tiggie's head, it COOKS!" "SWEET! Warm food for when the power goes out!"
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 22 2008, 09:14 PM) *
"Hey, check it out! If we put a Pre-Pack Insta-Meal on Tiggie's head, it COOKS!" "SWEET! Warm food for when the power goes out!"

The More You Know™
CanRay
Hey, when your in the Barrens, you take any comfort you can get.

Usually in 40 oz. bottles. nyahnyah.gif
hobgoblin
i thught the story was that someone left a bar of chocolate in front of a magnetron and found that it had melted...
CanRay
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Apr 22 2008, 04:09 PM) *
i thught the story was that someone left a bar of chocolate in front of a magnetron and found that it had melted...

Another is a melted chocolate bar in the pocket.

There's a number of stories for it.

Radar was originally developed to be a "Death Ray" against pilots, but didn't quite work out, IIRC.
Eyeless Blond
The later one I think makes more sense. Big-time radar dishes don't heat water, nor cook birds; it's not the right frequency. That is, in fact, why radar can penetrate objects and go for long distances without being dissipated by water droplets in the air; the frequencies in question are generally not absorbed or reflected in large amounts by non-metallic surfaces.

Microwaves, which are several orders of magnitude higher frequency, are absorbed by water molecules because they hit the energy levels for different rotational degrees of freedom. Radio wave photons just don't have the energy.
hobgoblin
there are weather radars tho that can read clouds...
WearzManySkins
CORRECTION!!!!!
RADARS do kill birds!!! Look at some the DEWS Line Phased Array sites, a bird even flying in front of that array dies before the halfway across point. Even grass/weeds does not grow in front of these monsters, ok not for very long. grinbig.gif
There was the "Sea Gull Cooker" installed at Great Lakes, one time was activated in in Full Power mode and the Limiting Switch bypassed, lets says the area around the base lit up. After that is was removed. To kill birds in flight takes a RADAR with a power in the MegaWatts range. DEWS sites are in the even bigger range of Megawatts if not Terawatts.

Frequency does not matter any Radio Frequency Device can cause RF Burns/injuries. FYI Most modern day RADAR are in the Microwave part of the RF spectrum.

RADAR was issued/built/used in WWII by both sides for detecting incoming aircraft. Death ray is a myth.

RADAR power amplifiers ie Magnetrons, Klystrons, and Traveling Wave Tubes aka Twats are used to amplify the power of RADAR.

Anything with a high water content is affected by RADAR ie Eyeballs and Testicles, those are the two areas that respond first to whole body radio frequency radiations. I had a tech who was temporarily sterilized by our RADAR, it had installation waveguides leaking RF. I got out the room every time the RADAR was fired up, he did not.

Frequency of RADAR is determined by the range needed, low frequency longer range less resolution, high frequency lower range greater resolution. Yes the is a power limit for radiation propagation irregardless of frequency too.

Water molecules are absorbed by RADAR, WRONG. Weather RADARS detect clouds ie water vapor, none of the Military RADARs I used or was familiar with, clouds/water vapor did not phase/affect them.

As for non metallic objects/things not affecting RADAR grinbig.gif Google RADAR Ducts, and look up "Skip" in CB terms.

Radio/RADAR photons have the energy given/imparted to them by their emitting source.

WMS
former USN Surface Missile FireControlman grinbig.gif
Muspellsheimr
The dish's can and do kill & melt objects. This is because, as a parabola, everything hitting the dish is reflected through a single focal point, creating intense radiation at that location. Anything passing through will be fried.

My old science teacher once hung a plastic bag in the school's satalite dish. The result was some quickly melted plastic, & several minutes of the entire school's video system being fucked up. This was also the guy that got the principle to sign an order for a welding torch and power saw without realizing it until they showed up. Awesome guy.
Morphius
Aside from weakening it through the background count, how can a cyberzombie effectively breach a ward? Astral Combat + Willpower? Or do they get to use their physical stats against dual-natured wards?
apple
Another question:

Do limbic nanites dices can be used for astral assensing? Assensing is an intuition skill test and at least the description of the nanites doesn´t seem to be forbid it. They rewire parts of the brain without essence cost, so the changes should be "natural". Natural enough for assensing?

SYL
SCARed
another question concerning cyberlimbs:

i have a troll sammy with quite high BOD and STR. and even with limbs customization there is (at chargen) now way his cyberarm can match the rest of his body. and even afterwards the availability would be quite insane. are cyberlimsb for trolls just not working?

i fumbled a little bit around with numbers and even if the troll had just the average atts for his metatype, the limb have an av. of 12 (by customizing it to the trolls atts). without any "gadgets" like enhancements, spurs, commlinks or stuff.
PlatonicPimp
Yup, it's hard for a troll to find good cyberlimbs.

Mordinvan
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jul 28 2007, 04:43 PM) *
Cyberzombies in spaaaaaace...

I'm just curious about cyberzombies? why make an immortal creature but give it the flaw of a progressively more difficult sanity test each year it is around?
Eventually the number of -bp's of mental disorders is going to exceeded the characters yearly karma generation ability, and they'll just 'decay' at that point as their attributes fail and they have every -ve flaw in the book?
hobgoblin
because its a gm's cybermonster.
FrankTrollman
When the technology was first discovered, they didn't even live that long. Cancer and apoptosis killed them right quick. But with medical advances, they can survive those problems, showing us that they have additional problems later on. Aztechnology is presumably working on those difficulties as we speak and if we manage to get some cyberzombies out there being kind of sane a few years down the line we'll probably find new problems and so on.

That's how medical science works. The longer you make people live, the more new problems you encounter. When people died at 30, no one knew what Parkinson's Disease or Alzheimer's even was.

-Frank
Mordinvan
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Jun 11 2008, 11:24 PM) *
When the technology was first discovered, they didn't even live that long. Cancer and apoptosis killed them right quick. But with medical advances, they can survive those problems, showing us that they have additional problems later on. Aztechnology is presumably working on those difficulties as we speak and if we manage to get some cyberzombies out there being kind of sane a few years down the line we'll probably find new problems and so on.

That's how medical science works. The longer you make people live, the more new problems you encounter. When people died at 30, no one knew what Parkinson's Disease or Alzheimer's even was.

-Frank

I understand the medical reasoning for it. To be honest it makes a lot of sense unlike some of the things which occur in SR. I was just currious if it was to discourage players from taking one, and encourage it to be an NPC only type of thing.
But this makes me wonder what happens if you have a -6 essence cyberzombie who gets their implants removed and undergoes the essence restorative treatments to go back to a full 6 essence?
Is that even possible?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012