Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Augmentation Q&A
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Tarantula)
A is how RAW plays it.

Actually, it's B - RAW never tells us that cyber armor is a bonus.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (apple)
I thought so.

If it is possible: can you point me to an official quote or discussion? Because both Augmentation and BBB are a little bit unclear to me in this point.

SYL

I think it's somewhere in this Q&A actually. Cyberware armor works just like a Troll's natural armor point. It adds in damage resistance dice.

-Frank
Rotbart van Dainig
Not per RAW.
hobgoblin
here we go again...

this forum needs to get fixed so that i can access my sig and alter it as i plan...
JesterX
What is the lifestyle cost modifier for Digester Endosont?

It says in the description that you have to eat 50% less...

and everything else that influence the quantity of stuff you eat adjust your lifestyle cost... except for this one...

Thank you
Ol' Scratch
I was taking a closer look at the Nanotech chapter and found an oddity I'd like clarification on. Also have a few unrelated ones that I'll be throwing into this post as well.
  1. Altskin (Augmentation p. 113) states that one of its primary benefits is that it gives the user the equivalence of a Skinlink (SR4 p. 318). My question is: What's the point of this feature? A Skinlink is an adaptation for an electronic device that lets you control it without worrying about being jammed or connecting through a wireless connection. What's this feature of Altskin supposed to do? Especially to the point of it being cited as the major feature of Altskin. It seems to be more of a liability than anything as all anyone has to do to hack into your PAN is touch you, even if you have wireless connectivity turned off...
  2. Transducers: Is it assumed that Datajacks, Commlinks, and other DNI interfaces come with either a Transducer (an old SR3 item) or a very limited Persona Icon customized to the user's natural voice? In either case, why would you need special hardware to change it as opposed to a software option? If they do not come with an option such as this, how does the Datajack work as described regarding Datajck-to-Datajack communications (SR4 p. 331)?
  3. Implanted Commlinks vs. Datajacks: Does an implanted Commlink with Sim Module (SR4 pp. 330-331) have any disadvantages over a Datajack, aside from costs and Essence impact? Or is the former a definitive upgrade to the latter? Also, is the Essence cost for a Sim Module required if you have an implanted Commlink which has a non-cybernetic Sim Module listed as a standard accessory?
  4. Commlink Capacities: How many accessories can you fit in a Commlink, especially one you're having implanted? Can you include any Sensor options since a Commlink is a 'handheld device' as per the associated table?
  5. Armor Modifications: Are there any official or unofficial limits to how many modifications you can place on a piece of armor? For example, what's stopping a runner (GM intervention not withstanding) from having a Chemical Resistance 6, Fire Resistance 6, Insulation 6, Nonconductive 6, Shock Pads, and Thermal Dampening 6 on his Leather Jacket? Similarly, are there any non-Availability related limits to what you can put on other related items in the game, such as Contact Lenses or Earbuds? This relates to Dermal Sheathing and the like as well.
Thanks in advance.
FrankTrollman
  1. That one puzzled me too. The key is that a skinlink is actually two-way. There's the device, and then there's the DNI on the other end. I think Altskin is supposed to act like a set of nanopaste trodes. Only on your hand or foot instead of your face.
  2. Transducers are completely subsumed by datajacks.
  3. Implanted Commlinks by themselves do not allow a character to string fiber optic cable into her head to any meaningful effect. Characters who merely have an implanted commlink would have to run the fiber optic cable to a headset and have it beam the information through their head. This can work, but the added convenience is, I think, worth .1 Essence and 500 nuyen.gif to any techie character.

-Frank
Ol' Scratch
  1. Hmm, I suppose I can see that. It still seems odd that it's advertised as the main selling point for the implant, though. Especially since the other one listed is, without a doubt, infinitely more beneficial. Near immunity to contact-vectored toxins vs. nanopaste trodes. Yeah, tough call. biggrin.gif
  2. Is there an official reference to this? It's what I've assumed in my own games (except I have it applying to most forms of DNI), but I couldn't find anything official. Additionally, how exactly does it work? Wouldn't it still need something like a limited Persona Icon programmed to mimic the user's natural voice? And why would it take additional hardware -- such as a Voice Modulator or Voice Mask -- to alter it? I mean, it has absolutely nothing to do with your throat or mouth, afterall...
Cthulhudreams
Question: Chemical Glands.

The third paragraph specifies that the gland can only produce 1 dose every 24 hours and can contain 4 doses.

Under internal release it says it can 'constantly maintain the equivalent of one dose in the character's body'

Does the specific internal release mechanism override the general 1 dose per 24 hours requirement?

If not how does internal release at regular intervals work?

PlatonicPimp
Can a mage who becomes a cyberzombie still astrally project? My thinking is no, because of the binding issue, but RAW does not disallow.
otakusensei
Can a mage who becomes a cyberzombie still astrally project? My thinking is no, because of the binding issue, but RAW does not disallow.

Sub 6 essence means no more magic. If you tweak the rules to say an initiated mage still retains some magic as the essence drops below zero you have to deal with binding.

If the novels are cannon you have the references from the Dragon Heart Trilogy. I won't spoil some of the best Shadowrun dime novels out there but sleep well at night knowing that the atrophied forms of astral cyberzombies will not be penetrating your wards. Doors on the other hand, that's a different issue.
otakusensei

The third paragraph specifies that the gland can only produce 1 dose every 24 hours and can contain 4 doses.

Under internal release it says it can 'constantly maintain the equivalent of one dose in the character's body'

Does the specific internal release mechanism override the general 1 dose per 24 hours requirement?

Sounds like it's just meant as a guideline, not hard and fast numbers to start up your own Kamikaze milking operation. I'd say it's pretty clear in that respect.
otakusensei

1. Hmm, I suppose I can see that. It still seems odd that it's advertised as the main selling point for the implant, though. Especially since the other one listed is, without a doubt, infinitely more beneficial. Near immunity to contact-vectored toxins vs. nanopaste trodes. Yeah, tough call. biggrin.gif
  2. Is there an official reference to this? It's what I've assumed in my own games (except I have it applying to most forms of DNI), but I couldn't find anything official. Additionally, how exactly does it work? Wouldn't it still need something like a limited Persona Icon programmed to mimic the user's natural voice? And why would it take additional hardware -- such as a Voice Modulator or Voice Mask -- to alter it? I mean, it has absolutely nothing to do with your throat or mouth, afterall...

I didn't think it was the main point, it's a platform for other stuff that happens to have a skinlink as well. Basically just means you can talk with your Altskin via skinlink rather than using a wireless connection. It's like one of those neat bonuses that you used to get from reading the runner text in the old catalogs.

Transducers are messy. Dealing with all the crap of getting a voice print and such is messy. Technology is made to eliminate things that are messy. Just figure that when you got the thing surgically implanted into your head by tiny little machines a doctor ran an ultrasound scanner over your neck and created a digital representation of the arrangement of cords that was then fed into a computer that spit out a voice profile for you. You can take that description and add as many details as you want. Or remove details until it's "magic". Either way it works as stated, no one would even think about transducers if they didn't play SR3, so it's safe to say it all just works. Welcome to the future.
odinson
QUOTE (otakusensei)

Sub 6 essence means no more magic. If you tweak the rules to say an initiated mage still retains some magic as the essence drops below zero you have to deal with binding.

If the novels are cannon you have the references from the Dragon Heart Trilogy. I won't spoil some of the best Shadowrun dime novels out there but sleep well at night knowing that the atrophied forms of astral cyberzombies will not be penetrating your wards. Doors on the other hand, that's a different issue.

I think burnout had lost all his magic before he became a cyberzombie though. And when the spirit was in him he could cast a spell using it's magic.

Would he have been the equivalent of a cyberzombie channeling a spirit?

I'd assume that a high level initiate would still be able to cast spells as long as their magic was above zero. That would be an insane amount of karma though. you would have had to initiated to at least 13 grades and then raised you magic an equivalent amount.
darthmord
Odinson, why 13 grades?

You only become a cyberzombie when your essence drops below 0. If you are a cyberzombie with an Essence of -4, then all you'd need is 11 or higher Magic to have a net positive Magic Attribute.

But... the RAW also state that your Initiate Grade cannot exceed your Magic Attribute.

So if you drop to -4 from 6, that's a loss of 10 points of Essence which has a corresponding loss of 10 points of Magic. In order to have a positive total, you'd have had to initiate and raise your magic at least 5 times.

That puts you at Grade 5 & Magic 1. That puts you in violation of the above rule which means you lose those 4 grades and everything that came with them.

I really don't see how any additional grades of initiation will help either.
PlatonicPimp
A cyberzombie has a magic of 1, which can never increase or decrease. The RAW does not say that magic is reduced to zero and then raised to one, it says it becomes one. So if you have any awakened qualities, becoming a cyberzombie would prevent burnout. At least by RAW. Some of the things Frank said earlier in this thread suggest this was intentional.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
A cyberzombie has a magic of 1, which can never increase or decrease. The RAW does not say that magic is reduced to zero and then raised to one, it says it becomes one. So if you have any awakened qualities, becoming a cyberzombie would prevent burnout. At least by RAW. Some of the things Frank said earlier in this thread suggest this was intentional.

Yeah. So if you had a grade, it would drop to one and in any case you couldn't get any more grades. You're just going to have a Magic of 1 and it's never going to do anything funky after that.

-Frank
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (otakusensei @ Aug 20 2007, 01:47 PM)

Sounds like it's just meant as a guideline, not hard and fast numbers to start up your own Kamikaze milking operation. I'd say it's pretty clear in that respect.

What the heck is the point then? I didn't think of making a kamazkie milking operation actually, I was more thinking you could make an eversor assassin from WH40k.

However, if you just take it as a "automatically dumps a dose once it can make a dose and there is no dose in the system" it doesn't really make any sense at all. You're going to wake up at 3am with a jazz hit.

So if it doesn;t just constantly tank you up, what does it do?

What does it do with something like long haul?

Edit: ohoh, are you saying that it's not actually a rule, it's a 'GM use fiat here' moment? If so, then okay fair enough. I'd like a rule though smile.gif
FrankTrollman
The Internal Release Measured Dose option is a specific distinction from the normal rules governing dose quantities. Of course, being on Jazz or Kamikaze all the time would be fatal in extremely short periods of time.

But yeah, if you go for the internal release measured dose option you are simply considered to be "on the drug" every minute of the day. If you choose a drug with any meaningful side effects you won't last more than a few days, so don't choose one of those.

-Frank
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
The Internal Release Measured Dose option is a specific distinction from the normal rules governing dose quantities. Of course, being on Jazz or Kamikaze all the time would be fatal in extremely short periods of time.

But yeah, if you go for the internal release measured dose option you are simply considered to be "on the drug" every minute of the day. If you choose a drug with any meaningful side effects you won't last more than a few days, so don't choose one of those.

-Frank

All the drugs in the book have fairly lethal side effects don't they, except psyche?

Intresting!

FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Aug 20 2007, 09:00 PM)

-Frank

All the drugs in the book have fairly lethal side effects don't they, except psyche?

Intresting!

You could be on Bliss, Psyche, or Zen continuously without anything really horrible happening to you. Last I checked, Arsenal was going to have more drugs and some of them could be taken continuously without death.

Originally Augmentation was going to come out after Arsenal, so that option made more sense (as is it's basically a "mage aid" for Hermetics).

-Frank
hyzmarca
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

-Frank

Actually, the rules are quite explicit about "crash effects" only occurring when the drug wears off. Since the Internal Release Measured Dose keeps your amount of the drug in your system constant, it never wears off. It is mechanically equivalent to a single dose that never wears off. Since it never wears off, there are no crash effects.
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

Yeah. So if you had a grade, it would drop to one and in any case you couldn't get any more grades. You're just going to have a Magic of 1 and it's never going to do anything funky after that.

-Frank

So then, if the zombie was once a mage or an adept, are they still? Does a cyberzoombie who has the mage quality retain it, and if so, can he cast spells, summon spirits, enchant, or do any of that funky stuff with his magic of 1?

Can a cyberzombie who was once an adept keep one point's worth of powers? Can they still bind weapon foci?

Because the rule specifically says
If the character already possessed a magic attribute, it is permanently reduced to 1.

as opposed to reduced to zero, burning you out, and and then becoming one.

If I'm right, and they retain their powers, my origional question still stands. Can a cyberzombie mage astrally project?
Fortune
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
So then, if the zombie was once a mage or an adept, are they still?

Yes.

Does a cyberzoombie who has the mage quality retain it, and if so, can he cast spells, summon spirits, enchant, or do any of that funky stuff with his magic of 1?

Yes.

Can a cyberzombie who was once an adept keep one point's worth of powers?

Yes.

Can they still bind weapon foci?

Yes.

Can a cyberzombie mage astrally project?

No, they are trapped in their bodies by the magics involved.
PlatonicPimp
Good, Just what I thought.

Whipstitch
Of course, just because you can bypass the nasty stun that comes along with coming down off a Kamikaze high doesn't mean that the constant dose is good for you. Like Frank said, the super powerful drugs will kill you one way or the other eventually, and if you're on kamikaze or nitro 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, it's not going to take very long before the GM starts zapping your essence with the Burnout quality. After all, if an internal narcotics IV drip isn't burning the candle at both ends, I don't know what is.
darthmord
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)

I believe they can still use Astral perception though since that's just looking into the Astral rather than going there. IIRC, cyber zombies get to do that anyways.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (darthmord)
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ Aug 21 2007, 12:11 AM)

I believe they can still use Astral perception though since that's just looking into the Astral rather than going there. IIRC, cyber zombies get to do that anyways.

Indeed, Cyberzombies are dual natured and are always astrally peceiving. And they don't even take penalties for doing it.

-Frank
Ophis
Frank do the Cocoon related details in the fluff about Aztechnologies Cyberzombies mean what I think it means? It would explain a lot about the two dragons in charge.
jklst14
Question:
Can a character keep the bonuses/armor from Bone Lacing (or Bone Density or Dermal Armor etc...) if he goes out and gets one or more cyberlimbs? There are 3rd Edition rules (page 33, Man & Machine), are there any 4th edition rules?

Thanks,

JKL
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Ophis)
Frank do the Cocoon related details in the fluff about Aztechnologies Cyberzombies mean what I think it means? It would explain a lot about the two dragons in charge.

If you thought it was a reference to Earthdawn Dragons, then yes.

There are of course two established cocoon systems which are in "no way" related. wink.gif

-Frank
Ophis
So is this a "good" cocoon or a "Oh fucking Shit!" cocoon? Feel free to send a PM if you want to hide the truth from others...
Fortune
QUOTE (Ophis)
So is this a "good" cocoon or a "Oh fucking Shit!" cocoon? Feel free to send a PM if you want to hide the truth from others...

Why would you think that we wouldn't want to know just as much about this as you?
Ophis
I thought Frank might want to not tell everyone...
Rotbart van Dainig
You clearly missed the Sailormoon horror.
Ophis
indifferent.gif indifferent.gif indifferent.gif eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif dead.gif dead.gif ??????
Cthulhudreams
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?act=...ndpost&p=318484

The next one he comes up with is probably worse.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Ophis)

Honestly I can't say. Not in that "I won't say" - I literally can't. The stuff in Augmentation was left intentionally open so that different campaigns could run with it in different directions. I personally have no plans to "officially" close that plotline, intending instead to leave it as a potential campaign hook/ easter egg for people to answer (or not) in their home games.

Which means that if there's ever an official answer it won't be written by me. Hence, I can't say. But I will say that either the "great humans" theory or the other theory are justifiable from the standpoint of certain things said in Cybertechnology - hence the inclusion.

One last paranoid option I leave you with: are you sure that there is actually any difference between the "two"? For that matter, I can think of another group that uses cocoons: the Invae. Are you certain that there are "three" kinds of astral cocoons and not two? Or one?

-Frank
Draconis
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
One last paranoid option I leave you with: are you sure that there is actually any difference between the "two"? For that matter, I can think of another group that uses cocoons: the Invae. Are you certain that there are "three" kinds of astral cocoons and not two? Or one?

-Frank

hooray the Invae. Three, one, doesn't bother me.

BattleJester
Question:
Can a character keep the bonuses/armor from Bone Lacing (or Bone Density or Dermal Armor etc...) if he goes out and gets one or more cyberlimbs? There are 3rd Edition rules (page 33, Man & Machine), are there any 4th edition rules?

Thanks,

JKL

p. 335 of SR4 states that: "Cyberlimbs cannot hold any bioware, nor any cyberimplants that take up Essence rather than Capacity."

So, that seems to be the way they kept it as there is nothing in Augmentation that changes it.

Now the thing that Augmentation does that I don't know if it's in 3rd edition, is it allows you to have Customized Cyberlimbs. So you can have the Body Attribute as high as your Augmented Maximum. That coupled with Armor will, I'm sure, be comparable to Bone Lacing and Dermal Plating.

If you don't think so, then there's always making your own House Rules as the designers intended things to be.
Ophis
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Honestly I can't say. Not in that "I won't say" - I literally can't. The stuff in Augmentation was left intentionally open so that different campaigns could run with it in different directions. I personally have no plans to "officially" close that plotline, intending instead to leave it as a potential campaign hook/ easter egg for people to answer (or not) in their home games.

Which means that if there's ever an official answer it won't be written by me. Hence, I can't say. But I will say that either the "great humans" theory or the other theory are justifiable from the standpoint of certain things said in Cybertechnology - hence the inclusion.

-Frank

Thanks for that Frank, nice to know I can do what I want. Great writing BTW. Do you have any thoughts on the Ordo Maximus/NEOnet split (also in in the Cybermancy bit)? It has some bearing on my campaign, I'm working on the idea that Celedyr found the Ordo's "power source" distasteful, but if there are more reasons I'd love some hints.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Ophis)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Aug 22 2007, 04:57 PM)

-Frank

Thanks for that Frank, nice to know I can do what I want. Great writing BTW. Do you have any thoughts on the Ordo Maximus/NEOnet split (also in in the Cybermancy bit)? It has some bearing on my campaign, I'm working on the idea that Celedyr found the Ordo's "power source" distasteful, but if there are more reasons I'd love some hints.

Celedyr got more specific and inclusive procedural updates than Dr. Ellis ever did. And recall, he authorized every experiement that Dr. Ellis complained about. Eyes open and everything. So when Celedyr had the Ordo Maximus reduced, it probably wasn't because he felt badly about the things they had done - he ordered them to do it in the first place. More likely it was because Celedyr no longer thought that he had anything more to gain from their continued research, and did feel that their continued activities were a threat - both to public relations and to his position as Sith Lord.

Consider the fact that Aztechnology went through a very similar research program.
    Step 1: Get some really unsavory magicians to do unethical magical research and make a lot of progress.
    Step 2: Have the dragon on the board of directors send in a bunch of runners to eliminate everyone who knows anything except the guys at the top.
    Step 3: Turn sanitized versions of all the research over to a new more by-the-book crew.
    Step 4: Publically distance yourself from the first group and actively interfere with anyone else who tries to replicate your methods.
    Step 5: Build the Dragonheart and Live Forever.

How closely is Celedyr following the Dunkelzahn script? Well, he's read that script, but beyond that I can't say. And again, it's not that I won't say - I can't say.

-Frank
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (ophis)
I'm working on the idea that Celedyr found the Ordo's "power source" distasteful

I've always toyed with the idea that the Ordo's "source" , both of power, and information, was a dragon. Something tasty for them to snack on, a wonderful source of magical knowledge, and also great for working blood magic.

Seeing that Celedyr already happily uses the young Ehliohann suggests he has no problem with using dragons as well as metahumans. However I can see other dragons having a much bigger problem with going along with another dragon being held by vamps then being manipulated. Hence a good reason for him to clean house a bit once he has what he wants. Just my little pet theory.

I was hoping to see some sort of technomancer-friendly(er) ware in Augmentation, seeing as, at least by appearances, Ehliohann was hit in the crash, and could have become one, and he's in Neonet/ Tranysys' hands/claws. Maybe Unwired will have something on him though. *shrug*
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Build the Dragonheart and Live Forever.

Actually, that's a pretty shitty way to spend eternity.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Aug 23 2007, 12:07 AM)

I think we're not talking "live forever", I think we're talking
There's one thing even David LoPan must acknowledge...
all movement in the universe is cause by tension between positive and negative furies
And when the furies are out of balance....
As they are with LoPan, who is cursed...
Then the people turn into demon and live forever...
An evil only existing to plague the living

-Frank
Abschalten
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Aug 22 2007, 06:25 PM)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Aug 23 2007, 12:07 AM)

all movement in the universe is cause by tension between positive and negative furies

-Frank

"Indeed!" - David LoPan
Buster
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

-Frank

I just gotta throw in a "I totally get that reference and I love that movie!" It has one of my favorite lines: "This potion makes you do things others can not do, see things others can not see." "Real things, Egg?"
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
I think we're not talking "live forever"

The point remains... he was immortal to begin with.
BattleJester
Oh, and on a serious note, how the hell does the Blood Circuit Control System interact with the Trauma Damper? They both specifically mention interactions with the Platelet Factory, but not with each other. Help?

This was asked by Kyrn back on July 28th. Just thought I'd bring it back up because it didn't get an answer (at least not that I saw).
Adarael
I want a t-shirt now. It would read "Dunkelzahn Married Both Girls."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012