Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Augmentation Q&A
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Tarantula
If you have a cyberlimb, you can't put anything costing essence into it. If you have a cybertorso, you can install breasts via capacity, however the breasts are "in" the torso. Anything costing essence has to go in your meat portion of the torso, and can not be put into the breasts because they are a part of the cyberlimb, which can't accept essence implants.

Your way, I can get the breasts via capacity, and then the gland, saving .25 essence.
My way (and the RAW way) you have to get the breasts via essence, and then put the gland in them. Freeing up 2 capacity in your cybertorso for a different upgrade in the process.
Tarantula
What cyber gland?
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Your way, I can get the breasts via capacity, and then the gland, saving .25 essence.
My way (and the RAW way) you have to get the breasts via essence, and then put the gland in them. Freeing up 2 capacity in your cybertorso for a different upgrade in the process.

How do you figure? The rules pretty much state everything you have installed works together in this edition, and implants like the (apparently named) Cyber Gland specifically state that they can be applied to various parts of your body. Of which cybernetic breasts are once you have them installed, whether it was via the Capacity of a Cybertorso or Essence.

Look at it this way. Capacity encompasses all the extra access points a cyberlimb has for you to plug stuff into. Since that cyberlimb is already hardwired to your system, those Capacity-eating accessories don't require any more Essence because they're basically modifying the cyberlimb, expanding the capabilities of the cyberlimb. It's no different than giving a cyberlimb an extra +1 Strength; that extra Strength isn't a separate entity anymore than the other accessories are.

It's all pedantic, really. You're still paying Essence for everything. Cyberlimbs just have a bonus in that they effectively reduce the Essence costs of select implants. But they still function just like they would if you had paid Essence and never had a cyberlimb installed.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Tarantula)
What cyber gland?

Aug page 35
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Tarantula)
What cyber gland?

Fine. Make me get my damn book loaded up. One moment.

Cybergland. Augmentation pp. 33 and 36.
Tarantula
Still costs essence only. No capacity listed. The fluff of it contradicts with SR4 in that no implants costing essence may be installed into a cyberlimb. So, I'll take it that the specific of the gland permits it to be installed in any appropriate cyberware implant instead. And retract that you couldn't put it in cyberbreasts installed via capacity of a cybertorso.
Ol' Scratch
It's not being installed into a cyberlimb. Or more correctly, it can only be installed with Essence and not Capacity. The description specifically states that it can be installed just about anywhere you want, including cyberlimbs, dermal sheathing, or sexual implants (meaning that's where it outputs its content rather than genuinely being installed "in" the implant).
Sterling
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
Why would a single cyber eye take up essence installed upon a cybernetic balance tail.

AUG page 29 quote
"If you’ve ever had cybereyes, you know what I’m talking about. Cybereyes are essentially trid cameras. Fully wireless-enabled, tricked-out, low-light, image-linked cameras—but cameras nonetheless."

Why could the single cyber eye not use the wonderful wireless link?

I get the point Wearz is making here.

If I subscribe a drone to my PAN, I can have a window open in my field of view that gives me the drone's view. What the drone sees, I can see... with zero essence spent.

The trick here is if a balance tail could be installed with a compartment in it, and in that compartment you placed a Lone Star iBall drone (or just spot-welded it to the end of your tail, that's one way) and subscribed it...

I'm sure any character with iBall drones duct-taped on their hands and the back of their neck would raise a few eyebrows, but the whole wireless (or hell, even skinlink) setup means you could technically have a sensor implant that costs zero essence. If you can subscribe to another's pan and share sensory input (I see what the dwarf rigger sees) then you do open up the floodgates to a character with single cybereyes attached with double sided tape.

This opens up a can of worms. So why couldn't I make a belt with two cyberlimbs bolted to it and control them via my PAN? I'm sure there's some argument about the speed of access, but there's enough in the RAW about access time and response to make the argument in favor. I'm not saying I agree with the idea of an ork with cybereyes stuck to his armor, or his motorcycle having a cyberarm that fires while he drives... but you can see where the argument can be made.

I've often thought of running several microdrones that 'ride' on a character's clothes and drop off when told to, in order to keep tabs on a facility. If the rigger-hacker's got a good enough commlink, he can have tiny insect drones covering the entrance, access corridor, etc. Who needs to hack the building when you have your own mobile security system?
Tarantula
Because, if you're fixing a camera to a spot, you don't have the mechanism to move it about without moving what its affixed to. So, sticking a camera on the end of your tail would be disorienting, since it'd sway with the motion of the tail. However, putting an eye in it, would be less bad, since the eye can pivot and turn to help stabilize the image.

Also, mages can use single cybereyes to target, (since they were paid for in essence), but can't use ducttaped/welded drones.
WearzManySkins
Is there a limit one can have on Cyber Limbs ie Arms?

Could a character have two meat arms then have two additional Cyber Limbs ie Arms installed?

Could you not have 4 Cyber Limbs ie Arms installed?

Yes I can see the need for a Cyber Limb ie Torso at some point.

Any Ideas/thoughts on the essence costs? as per RAW or something else.

Sterling, I have seen Hacker/Riggers use that tactic you are discussing in several In the Shadows Games.
Tarantula
Nothing that says you can't. Except in sr4, 335, it indirectly says that arms/legs are always full replacements, and torso/skulls are always shells. Meaning, no multiples, since if you replace it, you don't get to keep the old one.
Buster
QUOTE (Sterling @ Jul 27 2007, 11:49 PM)
So why couldn't I make a belt with two cyberlimbs bolted to it and control them via my PAN?

Why not indeed? Igor, bring me my tool belt!

But seriously, why not? The cyberarm belt would just be a partially mobile drone. You could control the arm-drone by diving into it (what a spectacular waste of time) or you could put an agent in there and send commands to the agent. Bingo, you have four arms.

The difference between a cybereye and a camera taped to the end of your tail is that you don't have to multitask to see through the cybereye. The essence cost is paying for the brain/nerve rewiring you need to natively perceive through the device.

With a camera, you have to multitask to see through that device (as per the multiple drone/monitor rules). You'd have to either take your attention off your normal vision and watch the tail monitor and take perception penalties to your regular sight or you'd have to take your attention off your tail camera and receive perception penalties to spotting stuff in your tail camera (unless you had Multitasking).
Sterling
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Because, if you're fixing a camera to a spot, you don't have the mechanism to move it about without moving what its affixed to. So, sticking a camera on the end of your tail would be disorienting, since it'd sway with the motion of the tail. However, putting an eye in it, would be less bad, since the eye can pivot and turn to help stabilize the image.

Also, mages can use single cybereyes to target, (since they were paid for in essence), but can't use ducttaped/welded drones.

Oh, I'm not trying to argue the essence cost issue with magic, you're completely correct on that aspect.

I just don't quite understand how a drone that can move on its own independently, yet projects a window of what it sees would be any more or less disorienting than a balance tail (or even a surge fully controllable tail) with a drone duct-taped to the end of it.

I'm also not really serious about this point, I just wanted to illustrate how the wireless drone rules do open up a very difficult position on the old 'to impant cybereyes in non-standard locations costs essence' rule.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Nothing that says you can't. Except in sr4, 335, it indirectly says that arms/legs are always full replacements, and torso/skulls are always shells. Meaning, no multiples, since if you replace it, you don't get to keep the old one.

Hmm under the Biosculpting in Aug severe modification one could have a tail, stretching it out,,,one could have another arm installed?

Or have two additional arms cloned, then have them attached to the torso of the clonee.

Yes the figuring out how to have a second set of arms including a working skeletal structure and neural pathways/brain work, would require a skilled surgeon etc.

But now you have four arms,,you can replace them with Cyber Limbs ie Arms, so you are with in RAW.
Tarantula
If its duct-taped to the tail, then the drone can't move independently can it?
Buster
Does Augmentation say you get perception penalties for having a cybereye or camera on your tail?
Ravor
If you try to use it at the same time as your normal (cyber)eyes yes.
Sterling
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Jul 27 2007, 10:24 PM)
If its duct-taped to the tail, then the drone can't move independently can it?

No, and that was my point, really. Unless you somehow slapped the magnetic system in your tail and could 'drop' the drone when you chose to... but that's as far as I'm going there.

I'm just saying that instead of spending essence to slap a cybereye in the tip of your cybertail, why not use the rules about controlling drones to get that same advantage (a way to see behind you, around corners, etc) using a mounted drone?

I'm sure any serious corp has hardened armor for their security guards with 'turreted' drones in the shoulders, that way each guard not only has 360 degree vision, they have a machine pistol on each shoulder that are basically fixed smart firing platforms that provide cover, etc.

The fact anyone with a commlink can control a drone and the fact that drones can move independently does not mean that there is no use for a drone that is slaved to your commlink and cannot move on its own (or is anchored at one spot but can spin and elevate its weapon).

In my game I might allow people to stick a 'remote' cybereye on various locations, but I doubt I would allow it to replace the advantage (and mages wouldn't find it useful for spell casting, but it would help avoid being surprised) of a 'legal' cybereye implanted and paid for by essence.

"This looks like a good place for a stick-up-eye!"

"Wow, it's an air freshener and a cybereye too! You get odor elimination AND can catch Junior raiding the cookie jar and your husband breaking his diet!"

Argh, sorry, I'm totally contributing to a massive derailment of a very helpful thread, I'll stop.

Edit, helping to end what I have started.

Buster had the answer; it's better to implant the eye and lose two dice on the observe in detail/perception test for all your eyes than to have to make a second test for the drone duct-taped to your tail/back when you want to check your six.
Buster
I agree with Sterling, that doesn't make any sense. A tail camera shouldn't be any worse of a penalty than a hacker/rigger gets for watching multiple monitors. And that "cybereye" shouldn't cost essence, it should be the same as having a camera in his cyberlimb. If he has to pay essence for it, then the taileye should give a much lower penalty since it's being hardwired to the brain.
Tarantula
The way I see it is this. If you tape a camera to your tail, its going to be twitching and swaying around constantly as per the description of the tail. Because the camera (or fixed drone) has no way to move its viewpoint around, then you get a fixed view that is swaying and twitching, in a view of something like a picture in picture display on your image link. Which IMO, would be worthless, since the picture would be swinging around so quick and so unfocusedly, you couldn't pick out anything from it.
Synner
QUOTE (Buster @ Jul 28 2007, 05:41 AM)
I agree with Sterling, that doesn't make any sense.  A tail camera shouldn't be any worse of a penalty than a hacker/rigger gets for watching multiple monitors.  And that "cybereye" shouldn't cost essence, it should be the same as having a camera in his cyberlimb.  If he has to pay essence for it, then the taileye should give a much lower penalty since it's being hardwired to the brain.

Sheesh, I get a good night's sleep and come back to this...

I'm not going to bother with digging up the first of this thread of questions. Frank, Dr. Funk, and several others have answered correctly.

A cybereye costs Essence because it is hardwired to your nervous system and transmits sensory data back and forth to your brain - whether its on your foot, your tail or the back of your neck. This neural link is constantly making minute adjustments to depth perception, focus, etc like a real eye. Cameras/sensors/drones that are not physically wired to the brain via DNI are also available (and more will come with Arsenal) but wireless links are detectable, hackable, subject to jamming, and generally more vulnerable than DNI.

Technically the rules do not allow for cybereyes to be implanted on cyberlimbs because cybereyes have Essence costs and not Capacity (note that both cyberskulls and cybertorsos are shells allowing you to still get bio- and cyber headware and bodyware). In hindsight, this could have been handled differently by simply adding a Capacity to single cybereyes - I'll look into including this in errata. If you really must have them, it is easy enough, have them take up half their current Capacity (load) value as Capacity cost.

Also: everyone who has mentioned that cyberware implanted in a cyberlimb can be connected up any which way you want is correct (and while you can't use a bioware chemical gland in a cyberarm at all, in the case of a torso mounted cyberbreast / chemical gland arrangement that is possible since the cybertorso does not replace the internal organs of the torso and it's only a matter of making a conduit). And yes, we did spend time discussing whether cybergenitalia were puerile.

Finally, I will reiterate my previous clarification regarding a Capacity related issue: only Eyeware and Earware systems may be used in cybereyes and cyberears respectively.
Ol' Scratch
My question is: What was the rationale behind adding things like "cybergenitalia" and the Orgasm/Orgy spells to the game? What positives do they bring? An off-color comment in some shadowtalk? I could have handled that. But just going out of your way to add it all in is... well, tasteless.
Synner
All I can say is that cybergenitalia went through several rounds of playtests and only one group of playtesters (Americans) agreed with you. Generally speaking most playtesters thought it was an interesting addition (at least on par with other cosmetic mods we included) and came up with many of the gimmicks/uses WarezManySkinz is obviously thinking of.
Fortune
So, can you get a range of sizes? Does the 'troll special' have a higher capacity?
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Synner)
All I can say is that cybergenitalia went through several rounds of playtests and only one group of (American) playtesters agreed with you. Generally speaking most playtesters thought it was an interesting addition (at least on par with other cosmetic mods we included) and came up with many of the gimmicks/uses WarezManySkinz is obviously thinking of.

Oh well. Here's to hoping gay, fart, and (more) dick jokes don't become the norm at least.
hobgoblin
i would say that any potential tastelessness of those implant would come from how they get used within the individual group of players. sure there will be some initial jokes made, but one can think of them as the inevitable extension of cosmetic implants of all kinds done today.

hell, cyberpunk from r. talsorian have had the "mr. studd" implant for many years now, and its even available as a "ring" in V3.

i would say its time to grow up and accept that sex is a part of being human.
Ol' Scratch
My main problem isn't that they exist within the game world. My problem is why did they really need to be added to books aimed (metagamingly) at shadowrunners and players? Saying that such implants existed would have more than sufficed, but actually giving stats to them (in lieu of other potential material that may or may not have been cut out for size reasons, even)? It's just of... bleh.

I'm hardly a prude, too. I just don't see the point. "Hey guys, look! My cock can shoot out Seven-7 now, woo!" Meh.
Vaevictis
Excuse me, but...

Can you install cybergenitalia on a dikoted ally spirit?

biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
hmm, i dont know. does a dikoted ally spirit have a essence stat?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Jul 28 2007, 04:01 AM)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Eh, let's ask anyway: What happened to implanted medkits like the Med-Alert and Guardian Angel?

I saw a few references to them, but none of the ones I saw approach the (nearly overpowered) Guardian Angel system of old. Which is a good thing considering how First Aid works in this edition.

[...]

Keep in mind that standard medkits in SR4 have a limited AI and can function independently if hooked up to someone.

..what implanted MedKits? There are none, AFAIS.

(The Saviour Medkit is still there, but still no implant...)

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Saying that such implants existed would have more than sufficed, but actually giving stats to them (in lieu of other potential material that may or may not have been cut out for size reasons, even)?

That's a point... but unfortunately, it was most likely a marketing decision.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jul 28 2007, 04:29 AM)
hmm, i dont know. does a dikoted ally spirit have a essence stat?

... maybe if it's inhabiting?

EDIT: Ooh! Maybe you could dikote a cybergenetalia and have the ally spirit inhabit that!

EDIT 2: Age old question solved: Yes, you can in fact have sex with a dikoted ally spirit.
Fortune
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
Age old question solved: Yes, you can in fact have sex with a dikoted ally spirit.

It was never really a question of if ... wink.gif
Vaevictis
I just had a vision of a cyber-penis inhabited by an ally spirit flying around (using levitate) and attacking things.

I really wish I hadn't.
Ol' Scratch
..what implanted MedKits? There are none, AFAIS.

(The Saviour Medkit is still there, but still no implant...)

Ah, you're right. It's the Savior Medkit I saw the few times I flipped through.

Would have been nice, but having an implant that had a good chance of auto-magically healing you several boxes of damage plus having a Trauma Damper and Blood Circuit Control System would have been way too much.

A Biomonitor/Nano-Biomonitor, the two previously mentioned implants and either a standard medkit hooked up to you or a Savior Medkit is already a crazy combo. Is more really needed with the SR4 rules?
Fortune
What does the Blood Circuit Control System do?
knasser
My question is: What was the rationale behind adding things like "cybergenitalia" and the Orgasm/Orgy spells to the game? What positives do they bring?[/quote]

Realism? It is certainly adds that.

Also, comedy? I think a "custody battle" based run between bickering divorcees might make a welcome change of pace amidst the gloom and crime. Let's say the wife bought it for an anniversary present and gets it in the settlement. It has emotional significance to the male party and the team is hired to get it back.

But just going out of your way to add it all in is... well, tasteless.

It may or may not be of interest to people, but how is it tasteless? I'm a little concerned by the fact that you liken it to fart and gay jokes. The former are childish (to me) whilst sex is an adult thing, And the latter should be avoided as a rule.

I think there is a strong distinction between the US and Europe in this regard. Most of us over here (Europe) just shrug and think nothing much of it. And I'm reminded of a line from the original London sourcebook that talks about the difference between the English and the US regarding sex being primarily oral - "In america, they talk about it more, before, during and after." biggrin.gif

This could be an interesting topic for a spin off thread if anyone wants to criticise the inclusion of cyber-genitalia and orgasm in Augmentation.
Ol' Scratch
Basically the cyberware version of Platelet Factories. It reduces all Physical damage by 1 box, to a minimum of 1 box as well as making it easier to stay alive after you've run out of boxes.

Honestly, I'm not sure why it costs so much more than Platelet Factories. I just used it in my example because it's better than 'em by a bit, thus being a better example for a "sweet suite" of healing implants.
Fortune
Cool, thanks.
Synner
Seriously guys, can we get over the cybergenitalia jokes (we're all clever enough to think of our own. they're there so let's get over it and move on) and get back to what this thread is for.

I'm pretty sure I missed some relevant Qs in the preceeding pages so feel free to repost those.

A Biomonitor/Nano-Biomonitor, the two previously mentioned implants and either a standard medkit hooked up to you or a Savior Medkit is already a crazy combo. Is more really needed with the SR4 rules?

This combined with nanosymbiotes is why we felt Guardian Angel were ultimately unnecessary with the default rule set. If you really want SR4 stats for them I can try to dig up the writeup I did for nanocybernetics during development (though I would only suggest using them with the alternative (slower) Healing rules in Augmentation).
Rotbart van Dainig

It's yet another box you carry around. (..and of course, there are characters out there that had them...) It was especially great for the Medic that had no-one to take care of him, and of course, for SpecOp-Types that were thankful for everything that was automatically taken care of.

Sure, I can houserule that you just buy a Nano-Biomonitor, the refills for Savior Medkits and a Nanite Hive to support them once they circle around... then use the Saviour Stats, activating when needed. But that's just a quick&dirty houserule.
Kyrn
My main problem isn't that they exist within the game world.  My problem is why did they really need to be added to books aimed (metagamingly) at shadowrunners and players?  Saying that such implants existed would have more than sufficed, but actually giving stats to them (in lieu of other potential material that may or may not have been cut out for size reasons, even)?  It's just of... bleh.

I'm hardly a prude, too.  I just don't see the point.  "Hey guys, look!  My cock can shoot out Seven-7 now, woo!"  Meh.

Actually, poison/disease spewing cyber-genitalia sound like a fairly interesting concept for a face adept assassin. Seduce target, nail target, implant delayed action poison/virus/nanites/dikoted ally spirit into target, and escape as target dies a grizzly death. At the very least it could make for a fun villain or henchman. As a PC it'd be niche, but the backing exists for it in fiction.
Of course if you go that route you have to get an oral slasher as well. What's her name, from Hardwired?

Oh, and on a serious note, how the hell does the Blood Circuit Control System interact with the Trauma Damper? They both specifically mention interactions with the Platelet Factory, but not with each other. Help?
hobgoblin
one more note about sexually themed implants. SR is a game where people carry guns, big guns, and do criminal actions for payment. in other words, its not a game to hand your kids and forget about it. but then i guess it comes down to cultural issues.
Rotbart van Dainig
Actually, kids are fitted with the natural variants from birth. nyahnyah.gif

The only thing I'm not really fond of is the fact that so much Cosmetic Ware now costs Essence... the BBB had most of it for free.
hobgoblin
Actually, kids are fitted with the natural variants from birth. nyahnyah.gif

The only thing I'm not really fond of is the fact that so much Cosmetic Ware now costs Essence... the BBB had most of it for free.

to the first part: true that, even if it seems its denied strongly in some parts of the world (attempting to prove that belief can move mountains?).

as for the second part: that interesting, and walks right into the old question, should a replacement hip joint cost essence?
Aaron
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
one more note about sexually themed implants. SR is a game where people carry guns, big guns, and do criminal actions for payment. in other words, its not a game to hand your kids and forget about it. but then i guess it comes down to cultural issues.

I think there is enough of a precedent in the cyberpunk corpus to justify the inclusion of sexually-themed content. The examples that immediately leap to mind are Y.T.'s dentata, "Ghost in the Shell," and the old Cyberspace game.

American puritanism aside, I really think that sex is an important part of a cyberpunk work. One of the questions raised in the genre is, "what is human?" Sex and intimacy are extremely human concepts, and the ability to describe it, express it, or twist it is important in exploring what it means to be human.
hobgoblin
hell, i believe that the backstory off molly had her work as a meat puppet to pay for her mods.

hmm, that makes me think of bio-drones. and bring cold shivers down my spine...
Buster
QUOTE (knasser @ Jul 28 2007, 05:03 AM)
Also, comedy? I think a "custody battle" based run between bickering divorcees might make a welcome change of pace amidst the gloom and crime. Let's say the wife bought it for an anniversary present and gets it in the settlement. It has emotional significance to the male party and the team is hired to get it back.

Oh man that's an awesome plot. Both hilarious and vicious.

I'll only say one thing about the topic and that's if they DIDN'T put cybergenitalia implants in the game, they would be obvious in their absence. Breast enhancement surgery is the most common cosmetic surgery in the U.S. and as soon as the tech is cheap for all other forms of "those kinds" of enhancements would become extremely common.
jklst14
1. The girl from Hardwired is Sarah. Awesome book by the way. Captured the flavor of rigging better than anything else I've read.

2. Not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but the fluff implies that the (meta)human mind can't handle > 2 cyberarms (page 56, Clockwork's comments).

3. Like the use of real curse words, I like the addition of more "adult" content in SR4. And I just thought of an idea for my next run. How does this sound:

The runners meet a known mobster, notorious for his foul mouth and the way he poorly treats his underlings. At the meeting, the mobster is wearing an oddly shaped hat. The mobster had gone to see a street doc for some personal enhancement. But having treated the doc like shit for years, the doc decides to get some revenge. When the mobster wakes up after surgery, the doc is gone and the mobster has a cyberpenis attached to his forehead instead of in it's proper position. The mobster then hires the runners to track down the doc.
Dancer
QUOTE (jklst14)
2. Not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but the fluff implies that the (meta)human mind can't handle > 2 cyberarms (page 56, Clockwork's comments).

This seems odd, considering the variety of weird drone shapes it can jack into without problems.
hobgoblin
I was thinking of neuromancer...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012