Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Evolution
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
SneakyJoeKDB
Bubba, wakes up from his miserable sleep on the saggy matress that stinks worse than he does. Upon rising he sniffs his body and realizes he is no longer saturated with his natural stink and decides, for once, it might be a good idea to shower. 'Kliko didnt even have to force him' Bubba takes a good shower and puts on his frumpy clothes and stumbles into the kitchen having a difficult time navigating the untroll friendly space. He makes his way to the kitchen feeling grumpy as he shuffles through the cabinets... suddenly his grumpy world is turned upside down as he finds a can of chili labeled Chili Grand Boom. "This oughts to be good for the jungle spirirts..." Bubba snickers as he remembers his shasta spirit encounter. Bubba smiles as he chows down unaware of his comrades fearful looks on their faces.

Bubba is not really paying attention to Kliko but then he hears Kliko mention his name... 'something about grapple gun and skiff?' "Where wes gonnas practice? Just gets me out of heres I dont likes to hunch! I hopes that boats will be big enoughs."
Kliko
"We'll take the skiff up Kourou river and practice on some tall trees near the river-side... I'm going out for a smoke, don't wanna blow this drek place up while your toxic" emphasing the last word with qoute unqoute marks "spirit is going on a rampage."
blindfox
04:32:00 Local Time(23:32:00 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana
One day remaining to acquire the target (by Friday)

Miguel wasted no time in getting out of bed and going through his morning routine after being roused by his team leader. Lacing his boots, a flicker of memory flashed to the forefront of his thoughts as he remembered lazy mornings slowly waking up at his family's home in West Covina; he missed them. But habit compelled him to unload his sidearm and perform a functions check while he simultaneously ran over a few of his cybered systems.

Looking up at Bubba and the rest of his crew he smiled genuinely. So far he had heard some complaints or comments about the heat and humidity but he wasn't letting it get to him. Sure it sucked to have his clothes sticking to his body even in the middle of the night and it felt like he was breathing through a wool sock but he was engaged in an operation with a team of competent comrades and it was early morning moments like this that made him glad to be alive. Even the wafting odor of Bubba's used beans couldn't bother him today.

"If it's all the same to you, jefe, I'd rather infil the arkoblock with our beautiful Ludi here," a sidelong smirk, "than babysit the gear. Besides, my talents would be wasted sitting on my culo in the woodline."
Sugar hoped that it was apparent that he wasn't interested in sticking around Duster any more than he had to. He found it a little more difficult to dismiss the phys ad's presence than the dark-haired Russian did. Either way, however, he was ready for anything.
Kliko
04:51:32 Local Time(23:51:32 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

"No problem, you nab somebody who looks like you and our Ludmilla here, you get the infil. You nab someone who looks like you and the big amerindian there" pointing out Duster "you get the infil claro. Just make damn sure you nab that someones by the end of the day... We need two of you up that arc and whoever it turns out to be and whoever is up there makes fragass sure he covers his teammie because you'll be on your own once you board that motor launch."
SneakyJoeKDB
"Wells I could always pose as da janitor types, I have dones its befores... i am sures those guys can handle its... lets get dis grapple guns workings and scopes out the ark cliffs." Bubba, loads his cyber guns, grabs his stun batons, puts on his lined coat, grabs the needed testing equipment and heads out the door.
Kliko
06:16:44 Local Time(01:16:44 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

"Yeah lets head out, good luck fellas. We'll be back at 1800. I'd suggest you not miss this morning motor launch arrivals to pick out any daypackers." Completing his morning routines Kliko grabbed his belted holster, pocketed the brass knuckles, one of this runs credsticks and a bottle of water before following Bubba out into the morning.

Sure the shirt was somewhat chilly right now, but the sun would rise soon enough and bring down all the heat they could ever ask for and then some...
SneakyJoeKDB
"We taking da vans or walkins to da docks? Or shoulds we just haves the others drop us off while theys do their parts of da job?"
Kliko
"You're right. Sugar, can you drop us off with the van? Don;t want to get spotted hauling around this grapple gun."

06:47:22 Local Time(01:47:22 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

It took Kliko longer than expected to get the skiff's engine started. It was a grosly outdated outboard engine in less then pristine condition. 'Gah, this fuel oil mixture can't be right' "We gotta get us some extra fuel too, make sure you prod me when you see something which looks remotely like a re-fill station, perhaps some extra in jerrycans or something."

Finally after re-checking his mapsofts and having the engine running stationary for some 5 minutes they set out up Kourou river. Alltogether travel by river out here was one of the most relaxing things to do, the skiffs speed providing a cool and relaxing breeze in the otherwise hot and humid Kourou river delta.

It was not until they slowed down in one of Kourou river's tributaries that the humidity struck them in all ernest. 'An implant that would just keep you hydrated enough... hmmm what happens if you plug an IV in your autoinjector?'.... 'wow, ain't meta digestion doing just fine?' "Drink or drop time Bubba make sure you get enough fluid in you." Making landfall a short while later they tied the boat up and made some 100m inland looking for the biggest tree they around. "Aye, lets try out our new toy shall we..."

"You know we could really benefit if we'd extend our mountaineering training somewhat." Looking up Bubba with an ear-to-ear grin "Once there was this troll named Able, he basically stated that it made him much more confident in his work, though meta-gear cost plenty due to weights and stuff."... "Well, either that or hire a mage, they're said to make people fly."

"Do or die time..." lifting the grapple gun, he aimed and squezed the trigger mechanism, launching the grapple hook into the jungle canopy above their heads.
Kliko
11:51:52 Local Time(06:51:52 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - N5° 5' 37'' W52° 38' 12''

Their first of many test shots behind them it was becoming obvious Bubba was the better man at handling the grapple gun. Halfway during Kliko picked up his ascenders and started climbing up the jungle canopy. the grapple lodged itself deeper into the trees branches, increasing the amount of time spent wiggling it free and decreasing their Bubba's grapple launch frequency.

14:07:13 Local Time(09:07:13 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - N5° 12', W 52° 37' 28''

They returned back to Kourou city approx two hours after the sun passed its zenith again finding themselves in the comfortable breeze created by the boats speed. Running bizz wasn't so bad afterall...

"Lets get a look at this ark. I wonder if it's really as big as the matrix makes us believe... just make sure to hang over board when you feel sick." Kliko exclaimed when they finally reached the boundary between the river's estuary and ocean. Opening up the skiff's throttle the little boat speeded forward and it was not for long before they found themselves bouncing and rocking accros the Atlantic's choppy waters...
Mister Juan
04:51:32 Local Time(23:51:32 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

When Kliko gently shook Ludi's shoulder, she stirred a bit. What she didn't do, was actually wake up. Everyone was already up, getting a fresh start for their long day… everyone except the Russian woman. He'd expected her to wake up, just with the noise they were all making (especially Bubba), but she hadn't. He shook her again, this time, in no gentle manner. This time, she snapped wide awake, as if someone had thrown a bucket of cold water in her face.

Her right arm swung up towards the ork. Kliko's years of training, and a hyped up nervous system caught the woman's wrist before it came to bear.

"Dobri dien." He said, with a smile.

Ludi gave a quick look around, apparently remembering where she was. Her wrist was still locked in Kliko's large hand. She looked at it.

"Oh…" she simply said, after a moment of silence.

Kliko raised a single eyebrow, nodding his head once toward the Makarov she was holding in her hand.

"Remind me never to wake you up."

"Prastee…"

Kliko released her arm. Her left hand went to her face, which she rubbed vigorously.

"You always sleep this hard?"

"Net. Not usually. It is heat." she gestured around "Make me tired."

"And you always sleep with a gun under your pillow?" he chuckled.

Ludi's usual frown came on her face, her forehead creasing itself, like it always did.

"It is old…." She paused, apparently looking for the word "habit."

Getting up, she stretched a bit and yawned. Around her, the rest of the team was apparently already well in motion. Part of her felt somewhat ashamed she had slept so long. The rest was just glad for the extra nap time. After all, she probably wouldn't sleep a whole lot in the next few days. After a few minutes of just sitting on the floor, looking around and not doing much, she pulls herself up, rummaging through her pack for some grub. Behind her back, she feels Sugar's eyes boring a hole into her. The fact she up and walking around in her underwear probably has something to do with it. She peers over her shoulder, catching his eyes for a second. He smile and turns away. Ludi, as she shakes her head and smiles to herself. Having spent her entire life around men, working with them, trying to blend in with them, she sometimes forgot they still saw her as a woman, first and foremost. She opted to get dressed, least she distract anyone any longer.

Ludi ran her hands through her hair, messing them up, and making them stick here and there because of the humidity. She sighed heavily. It was more than obvious that the woman did not like the jungle at all. She hadn't really said much yet, but it was clear. Kliko quickly took charge of the situation, which Ludi was glad for. She had been drilled to take orders her entire life, and when put in a situation where she didn't have any… she felt a bit uncomfortable.

06:47:22 Local Time(01:47:22 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

Sugar had done the driving. Ludmilla had never really been a morning person. Especially when you got up so early, it was earlier than morning. Her eyes hidden behind a pair of sunglasses, a cigarette already dangling from the corner of her mouth, she had spent the entire drive almost hanging out the window like a dog, trying to cool herself down.

As they neared the ferry, she asked Sugar to pull over. Chucking her cigarette out the window, she turned to him.

"Let us keep this very simple. We will park near ferry, where we can see people coming off. When we spot a good target, you will get out."

She gestured towards her face.

"I stand out too much. I do not look like I belong here. So, you will follow target. If I can, I will shadow you with van. If not, I will walk. What we have to do, is get target inside van, and not attract attention. These people are civilian; they should be easy to scare. You can even do it at gun point. If I am in van, I pull up next to them, and you grab them. Da?"
Bastard
08:22:16 Local Time (03:22:16 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

It is a long wait before the ferry arrives from Devil's Island. Ludi sits in the van idling, the AC blowing some slightly cooled air across her face. Normally patient, Ludi is instead impatient in this humid tropic climate. She keeps herself from going stir crazy by dismantling and reassembling her Savalette Guardian.

Sugar waits patiently in a small cafe, slowly eating some sort of stale pastry. When the ferry arrives he buses his table and walks nonchalantly toward the unloading passengers. He scouts the crowd and finds a girl who resembles Ludi, quite a bit. Sugar merges with the crowd and starts to stalk his prey.

Ludi loses sight of Sugar for a few minutes, but then spots him making his way north. She follows him with her eyes for a while, then she sees where he is going. "There he go- thinking with his... his... pants!" She puts the van into gear, and follows Sugar, who is following two women dressed for a night on the town.

Sugar follows the two girls, keeping his distance. The crowd slowly disperses as they go to their separate shops and cafes, and Sugar finds himself nearly alone. Without looking two obvious he scans the area for the van. He spots it slowly creeping behind him.

Ludi brings the van up the road behind Sugar. That is when she notices the dark haired girl, looks somewhat like her. She is slender, but not fit like Ludi. She is cute, but not in a tomboyish manner like Ludi. Her hair is shortly cropped, but styled, unlike Ludi's stylish mess. "Hmmm... She will do, but I don't think I can survive that outfit."

The second girl is a little taller, a little thicker build, but not unattractive in any sense.

16:20:13 Local Time (11:20:13 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

Kliko and Bubba coast around Devil's Island and a good distance. The water is shallow and clear up to a mile out, but still a bit choppy. It is nothing like the dark brownish-green of the Pacific Ocean and California coast they know from home.

Further out the water is rougher, and darker. Quite a ride for the skiff, which cuts through the waves quickly, but with a lot of turbulence. Venturing close to the islands on the backside, Kliko spots a cruiser, a 20-something footer cruising around the north side of the island, shadowing the skiff. While the skiff is about 2 miles out, the cruiser keeps within a mile from the island.

Mister Juan
08:22:16 Local Time (03:22:16 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

The van was crawling slowly, a few paces behind Sugar. Reaching over, Ludi flicked the radio on, letting it blast what passed for local pop music. It wasn't anything close to her liking, not by a long shot. And she didn't even understand half the words. Actually, she didn't understand a single one. She was simply going through the motions. Kidnapping was actually something she had had classes on. Not full on classes, in an auditorium, with a college certified professor. Some retired GRU Colonel had taken her and 4 other FSB rookies out to St. Petersburg for a month. He had showed them the ropes, with each of them taking the turn as the target. Ludi had only lasted 3 days before getting bagged. It had all happened so fast…

In the space of a blink, the memory was gone, and Ludi was back in the van. She knew Sugar probably couldn't see her behind the glare of the windshield, but she gave him a nod nonetheless when he peered over his shoulder.

With one hand nonchalantly holding the wheel, she pushed the van past Sugar, stopping next to the two woman. Eyes hidden behind a pair of mirror shades, she leaned out of the driver's window with best smile. She struggled out the sole sentence of French she had memorized, her words partially drowned by the music she was blaring.

"Excusez moi, parlez-vous anglais?"

She realized how dry her mouth felt. Both of the women stopped in their tracks. She couldn't quite say if it was because she had said something wrong, or because they were simply caught by surprise. One of them finally nodded, stepping towards the edge of the curb. Ludi leaned out the window a bit more. In plain view, her left hand held a map. The Russian woman smiled a bit more, the glasses sending the girl's reflection back to her. She probably wouldn't have been as helpful with her directions if she had known that, just bellow the edge of the door, Ludi had a silenced 10mm ready to put a bullet in her head.
Kliko
17:28:56 Local Time (11:28:56 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

Bubba felt like the smartest person in the world! Putting his lined coat to good use against the Atlantic's spray, hunching down in the skiff's bow area. Who'd ever claim it was stupid to bring one in the first place must have been a retard... or standing in the back of the boat like Kliko... 'look at the fragger, must be the happiest person in a 50-mile radius' Returning Bubba's smile and thumbs up in kind.

In the mean time Kliko had other concerns creeping up on them, the little cruiser 1 mile out and to their port side for example. "We're being watched." Returning the favor in kind, adjusting his zoom until the cruiser was nothing more but a blur of pixels on his cybereyes.

Local fishermen probaply knew better than to get close and despite how impressive the Arc's structure might be, it didn't quite opened up for tourists like the other Kourou-complexes...yet. They would have booked a guided tour for sure if it had. "Time to get out of here." Kliko steered the skiff on a course away from the ark without rousing suspicion. Last thing the pair of them wanted was a prelimary entry in Proteus' security log. At least they got some boat time out in the open...
Bastard
08:22:44 Local Time (03:22:44 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

The dark haired girl turns, semi-surprised at the questioning voice. Ludi then notices her face relax and her smile become more genuine as they make eye contact.

"Yes," the girl replies, somewhere between a statement and a question.

The second girl turns, and brings herself even with the first. Her smile is non-existent.

17:30:31 Local Time (12:30:31 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

The skiff beats through the water, as it tries to beat through the skiff. On the edge of the horizon, Kliko can see a blur, which is the Ark. Somewhere in that blur is a boat, mirroring their path.

Bubba continues to watch the sea with a silly grin, overjoyed with his long coat's effectiveness. He isn't even day dreaming about donuts.
SneakyJoeKDB
17:31:44 Local Time (12:30:44 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

An over-joyed Bubba continues to tongue dangle and grin as the wind continues to rush past him. He notices the mirroring blur. He looks back at Kliko and says, "Whats we gonna dos about thems..." Bubba points at the object, "We may needs another boats for distractions. Whats we got da Foo Foo Boy doings?
Kliko
17:32:16 Local Time (12:32:16 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

Lighting a cancer-stick, Kliko took a long draft, staring into the Arc's direction. "I'm not sure. We don't have the nuyen and time to setup a major distraction. For all we know they have three other cruisers like that one out there, not to mention a short range drone network for perimeter defenses... that's the way I'd secure a remote location like this one." Turning to Bubba "That's the big deal with running against a major corps. The moment they notice us, we're fried. Out here we can run but we can't hide. What sucks is that basically anything outruns this skiff."

"Foo-foo boy is going to be infil or overwatch. Depends what Sugar and Ludi come up with really. If one of us is confident with going in solo, we might even have him watch our jungle cache. For all that matters we want as little deadweight onboard when we make our run and all we really need are a helmsman, belay-man and overwatch."
Bastard
08:22:48 Local Time (03:22:48 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

Sugar continues nonchalantly past the girls. He takes a casual look, as any normal man would, though with this look Sugar has actually scanned the area for potential witnesses. He did not spot any, so he quickly turns, pulling his weapon and closes on the taller girl.

He shoves the barrel hard into the middle of her back. "I don't want to hurt you lady. We just want your money. Get in the van and no one gets hurt."

Ludi watches the two women, as the one targeted by Sugar looks confused, scared, angry, and confused some more. The girl in conversation with Ludi is completely frozen, her face awash with fear. She stares at Ludi, waiting for her, or maybe her friend, to take care of the situation.
Mister Juan
08:22:48 Local Time (03:22:48 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

When the girl turned, the young Russian woman was still all smiles. It was the kind of smile a mother would have used on her child. It was the kind of smile that was meant to reassure you and melt all the world’s troubles away. Odds are it would have been a smile that would’ve calmed the woman. The sleek non reflective silencer that was casually pointed straight at her hearth canceled the smile.

“I suggest you do as my friend says. The faster you do as he says, the faster this will be over.”
Bastard
08:22:56 Local Time (03:22:56 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

The girl with Sugar's gun in her back looks around for help, but seeing none, she follows the shadowrunner's advice. The second girl is still frozen, her eyes locked with Ludi's.
Mister Juan
08:22:58 Local Time (03:22:56 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

Ludi poked the woman once in the chest with the silencer.

"Now would be good time."
Bastard
08:23:01 Local Time (03:23:01 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

The first girl stumbles into the van, the second one starts to tear up at the goading by Ludi. "You are going to kill and mame me?" She stumbles back into Sugar, who shoves her into the van, behind her friend.
Mister Juan
08:23:01 Local Time (03:23:01 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

The door was barely closed that Ludi threw the van into drive. Peering over her polarized shades, she looked into the rearview mirror. In the back, Sugar was keeping something of a close watch on the two women. It wasn't exactly like they were going to actually do anything. The one she had spoken to was shaking and tearing up so bad, odds are she'd never get very far. The other one had already accepted the situation she was in... or was down right catatonic. Half of Ludmila felt bad for the two women. After all, they were just innocent bystanders. They had never been given any way out; they had simply woken up this morning, gotten dressed and decided to go out on the town. Being abducted at gunpoint had never been part of their plans. Odds were, they really didn't deserve it. It would probably even scar them for the rest of their life. Civilians rarely got over things like this.

It wasn't very long for said half of Ludmila to shrink to a smaller size than a half. Even with the radio turned up ridiculously high, she could clearly hear one of the woman crying in the back. Now and then, her sobs would stop so she could sniff loudly. A few minutes passed, she apparently had gathered some of her senses back.

"You're going to kill us, aren't you?"

Her friend gave her a rather strong "shut up" stare.

Ludmila simply peered into the rearview mirror.

"Oh my god... You're going to kill us and take our organs..."

She started to shake and cry again. Rocking back and forth, she kept praying to herself... and the more she did, the shorter Ludi's patience got. Every few seconds, she would start begging them for something; please let us go, please don't hurt us, please don't take my liver. The list went on.

When the Russian woman finally turned the van unto a deserted street, she steered it to the side of the road and parked. When she unholstered her gun, she heard both women start to frantically move in the back, with Sugar quickly settling them back down with a few shoves. Ludi slid the clip out and rocked the slide back once, sending the bullet up in the air for her to catch. Putting the clip back in, she got out of the van, got to its slide door, and opened it.

Neither of their captive made a single move. Even swallowing and blinking seemed to be difficult. For what must have seen to them like an eternity, Ludmila simply stood there, cold eyes hidden behind her shades.

She jerked her head towards the girl who wouldn't keep her mouth shut.

"You."

She started shaking and saying a lot of things about God and such...

"You be quiet ok? I do not want to put bullet in you. But I will if you don't be quiet ok?"

"Just please, don't harvest us..."

Ludi frowned. Seriously, did they look like organ thieves? This was borderline insulting.

"Then, you be quiet, yes?"

She looked at her friend, and then at Sugar.

"OH MY GOD! You're going to rape us aren't you!"

She made a move to vault out the door... which was something quite irrational to do considering Ludi was in the way. She grabbed the girl and threw her down, hard, on the pavement. She had barely started to get up that Ludi landed a vicious kick in the downed woman's stomach. This time around, she didn't cry out in pain. She simply clutched herself, a silent mouth opened and her eyes bulging out of her head. Grabbing her by the hair, she pulled her face up and raised her pistol. After pistol whipping the woman twice, she felt Sugar's hand on her shoulder.

"Ease up! I think she got it!"

Ludi shrugged Sugar's hand off, not turning to look at him. The woman slid to the ground, obviously unconscious.

"Get her back in van." was all she said before getting back behind the wheel.
Bastard
08:38:22 Local Time (03:38:22 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

The girls are very cooperative after the good ole fashion pistol whipping. One with a possible concussion, the other fearing worse - like organ harvesting.

The streets are quiet back at the safe house. A light breeze moves some of the trash around along with the stale air. Ludi and Sugar quickly "escort" the two girls inside.
Kliko
18:09:22 Local Time (13:09:22 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

The rental van pulled up at the skiff's mooring just about when they'd start loosing their temper on whether or not their teammies remmebered to pick them up. They were hungry as one gets after spending a long day on the water and they had the greater part of the night and the next day ahead of them. It was time to get some rest, put some food in their system and chat up with Ludi. They'd been limited in their speech once back at the supposed safehouse.

Kliko was happy to hear they retrieved two Proteus-employees but dissappointed only one had a vague resemblance to Ludi's looks. "You confident you manage in there by yourself?"..."I don't want to put you in a situation you can't get out of by yourself. We won't be at the anchorage until 530, if anything happens you're on your own."
SneakyJoeKDB
"Should we tells em?" Bubba says aloud to Kliko.

Kliko glares at Bubba.

"Tell us what?" Sugar repeats. While Ludi is now very attentive.

"Abouts da patrol bo..."

Kliko quickly cuts Bubba off, "We will be at the anchorage at 5:30, now can you handle the inside job?"

Bubba begins tp realize that maybe he should have kept his mouth shut as Ludi may be the only one going into the ark. She needs all the confidence she can muster on her own and any concern that there may not be a pick-up may make the realization of her mission even more difficult. Bubba taks a step back and looks at the ground.
Mister Juan
18:27:31 Local Time (13:09:22 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

Hand painfully rubbing the back of her neck, Ludi watched the water trickle down her face and into the sink. She could feel every single cool droplet running down her face. Somewhere in the living room, she could hear the fan chopping lazily at the air.

Throwing back her head, she shivered as water made its way down her neckline. In the mirror, she could see Kliko standing behind her, leaning in the door frame.

"You confident you manage in there by yourself?"

She looked at his reflection for a moment, chewing her own lower lip. Even with the ice freezing water she had just slashed herself with, Ludi felt like her entire body was on fire. Grabbing both sides of the sink to steady herself, she lowered her eyes and nodded.

"It is not like we have choice."

She heard him move behind her.

"Well, we have all the gear to climb the cliff."

Ludmila laughed once. She looked at the water circling the drain.

"You know it is not real option. Do not worry."

She pushed herself off the sink and spun around.

"I will be fine."

The young woman had spent more than enough time with the ork to come to know him. Even thought he was projecting nothing but total professionalism, part of her could feel that he was worried. Worried that she might frag up somewhere along the line and get the whole job bagged. Truth was, at least maybe, that he was actually worried for her. But she brushed it aside. There was no way someone like him would let his feeling get the better of him. No, if it was worried, it was because of the job. Or maybe…

Ludi finally snapped out of it when Kliko cleared his throat once. She suddenly realized she had been staring at the ork, in silence, for quite some time.

"Run me through it one more time."

"Da."

She folded her arms and took a deep breath.

"Who are you."

"Carina Elfriede. Born February 17, 2034. German."

"Where are you from."

"Grew up in Bielfeld, Germany. Went to University of Leipzig."

"Studies?"

"Computer Sciences."

"Room number?"

"55-67"

"Schedule."

"I take ferry back to arkology. I go to my room, and assemble jammer. I go out for cigarette, walk the path once and hide bag with gear. I go back to room and sleep. I get up at 5:30 and go to gym. At 6:20, I go to run. I see target and run pass him. I make sure to run faster to catch up again. Second time, I start jammer and tackle him to ground. I subdue him. I grab hidden bag. I take radio, two click" she holds up two fingers "for stand by. I put on harness. Three click for ready."

"Alright. Everything sounds good."

This time around, the ork smiled at her. Kliko pushed himself off the door frame and was about to turn when Ludmila caught him by the shoulder.

"Klik-o." said the Russian woman, in that very two syllable way.

When she tried to swallow, she found out her mouth had gone terribly dry.

For a few seconds, the ork stood there, waiting for her to speak her mind. The Ludmila he knew wasn't one to shy away from saying anything. On the contrary, she had more than a tendency to be quite blunt and direct. The woman he was looking at seemed to be someone else. Her aggressive stance was gone. Her eyes stared at the floor. Her fingers were curled around a little crucifix she had around her neck. She sighed. He could see her lips tremble slightly as she did so. She reached around her neck and undid the necklace.

She took Kliko's hand and placed it in his palm, pushing his fingers to curl around it.

"Ludmila, I…"

"I have daughter."

She took a deep breath.

"If something go bad, I want you to give this to her. Her name is Lana. She…"

"Listen Ludi, I don't need to know. You'll give it to her yourself when we get back home."

Ludmila laughed nervously once, running a hand through her hair.

"Ya znayu…."

She finally lifted her eyes from Kliko's hand to look at him.

"I... go prepare bags."

She started to push pass him, stopping for a heartbeat.

"Spasiba."
Kliko
18:27:58 Local Time (13:27:58 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

"Run me through it one more time..."
"What happened to ms Berger?"

"With her lover back in Kourou."
"Schedule..."

"Almost, first click the transceiver with five minute intervals while making your laps. We respond with two clicks to confirm we're in position and standby. You acknowledge for standby with two clicks, then the skiff-crew setup the rope slide. Now remember to jump as far as you possibly can. We don't want you or the mark to bump your head against these cliffs... can't risk to mess up your good looks honey."
Kliko
21:25:13 Local Time (16:25:13 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

They dropped of Ludi for this evenings Arkology motor launch. Watching from distance to make sure she boarded safely. 'What's that saying, the die is cast? Better not make me bring any news to your little darling girl.'

22:44:41 Local Time (17:44:41 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

They wasted no time back at the safehouse, moving the hostages into the smaller bedroom. The Proteus employees nerves were close to a nervous breakdown with the uncertainty of their faith. The crew's attitude didn't help either. "Mademoiselles, prenez un peu de nourriture et assurez-vous de bien boire." Holding out one of the self-heated rations, stirring the warm food inside before handing it over. 'Girls should be hungry by now, lets find some sympathy' "A quelques heures et vous pouvez retourner en toute sécurité a la Arkology, oui." nodding and waiting for an acknowledgement. 'Frag ass, if I care where they from. Better yet they don't speak French and make us out for some darn Europeans.' "Allons allons, vous mai pas déshydrater, boire cette. Il vous fait sentir bien." handing out two of the water bottles stacked against the back wall of the small living room.

They kitted up once the bedroom door closed. "We got a long night ahead of us chummers, get some chow, get yourself hydrated and lets get moving." You learned a lot in the shadows of your average sprawl. Unfortunately packing wasn't one them. By the time Kliko prepped his - and Ludi's pack, Bubba was still fumbling around with his gear...
Kliko
22:45:17 Local Time (17:45:17 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

"Here, give me that." The orc veteran grumbled to his fellow team member. "I'll show you how it's done." dumping the troll's rucksacks content back on the living room's couch, sorting through the content on relevance. "You'll need to put this on chummer," indicating the Jungle fatigues they arranged for the run "the make you look real smart, got some armor on it as well. You won't need the combat webbing until we're back on the river, but I'm putting on mine anyway. Also make sure to keep your helmet close-by hand." With the remaining kit spread out neatly in front of him, packing was a piece of cake, or donut, whichever Bubba preferred. Kliko attached a foregrip and laser sight to his AK's RIS/RAS under-barrel and top-mounts, moving the laser sight's red dot along the wall, testing it for a few short moments. Installing the sound supressor made his weapon one mean piece of machinery ork.gif .

23:01:36 Local Time (18:01:36 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

It was about time they moved out. They had a cache to prepare upstream, gaining them sore needed freeboard. Sure it could carry the six of them and their gear along a shallow river, yet out there they faced the Atlantic's choppy waters, a whole different ball game together. They'd picked a spot about an hour inland, in the middle of fraggin nowhere. Close to the shore, yet far enough inland so the camouflage netting would mask it from anyone curious enough to take an interest. It would not be until 9-ish the next morning that they'd find an opportunity to return here.

The entire atmosphere of the jungle at night created a surreal environment for our Bay area sprawl dwellers, full of sounds, smells and eerie shadows moving about. In the jungle you were always a part of the food chain and there was always some 'thing' out there to get you. They better get used to it because they were due to spend their next few nights out there...
Mister Juan
22:45:17 Local Time (17:45:17 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

Seated as far back as she could, Ludmila watched the deep blue waters of the ocean glide by. The side of her head resting against the window, she could taste the salt of the sea on her lips. Her bright green eyes went from the water toward the horizon. She had never expected herself to end up in such a place. The ferry caught a wave, bobbing up and down with it. Last time she had been on a boat, she hadn’t even caught a single sight of the sea. Only the smell. The salt. Just like now. Smuggled in country inside a cargo container, from the Chinese coast all the way to North California. That was now over five years ago. She had been a scared woman, out on the run. A young woman on the run by choice, not by circumstances like so many refugees.

She could have stayed in Russia. She could have driven on with her life, throwing away her very nature to be scattered by the cold winds of her homeland. She had bled for it. For its people. She had killed for it. For them. She had become part of those that stood watch to protect the innocent. Or at least, so she thought. But at the end of the day, when the veil was pulled back, the life she had chosen back then was a lie. There was no such thing as glory in self sacrifice. The system had rotten from the inside. It had become self serving and corrupted to a point no one could ever decently accept.

At first, she had justified her actions by the fact she was defending her country from invaders. Others wanted to harm her family, her friends, her countrymen. But in the end, she was just a glorified hitman with a government pension. The world wasn’t black and white anymore. There were no justifiable wars. There were no more heroes. Everyone was out looking for themselves. The century of the self. Alcohol and self destruction had quickly followed. Time between missions began to blur in a flurry of underground fights and one night stands. The path of self destruction. And Ludi would have probably ended up taking her own life, until she started, one morning, to throw up. Often.

What right she had given herself to throw her life away had been swept away in a single night. She had seen the ugly face of the world, knew of it, accepted it, and had decided to do nothing about it. But now, things had changed. The tables had suddenly turned on her. Two weeks later, she ran away from her handlers.

Looking at her reflection in the window, Ludi wondered what her file back at FSB said about her status. Missing in action? Active? Rogue? One day, she knew very well her past would catch up with her. Would they come in the guise of old enemies or old friends? And on what end of the gun would she find herself.

The ferry caught another wave, and Ludi smiled. She simply couldn’t help herself but think of roller coasters. She shifted the backpack next to her. Surprisingly enough, the ferry’s crew had barely checked Ids. Odds were, things had been very quite at the ark for quite some time, and security had gotten comfortable. After all, as far as she knew, no extraction had ever taken place there. But then again, these weren’t the kind of events you ever heard about. At least, that’s what she kept telling herself. The fact there might be a very tight security check point when on the ark was... well... not a very interesting prospect. Back on the docks, she had a means of escape. On the arkology, she would have no where to go. Short of diving in the water or hijacking a boat.

Back in Moscow, she had operated with a local network to support her. She had authority and legal powers. In the streets and shadows of the California Free State, she had other operatives like herself to watch her back. Here and now, on this small corporate ferry in French Guiana, it was her, and her alone. Failure meant death. Failure was not an option. Options actually didn’t exist. This wasn’t an operation where she had to succeed or else. There was no “or else”.

Ludmila took a deep breath in and smiled. Looking around the cabin, she did her best to look at ease, and somewhat bored. Don’t mind the woman, she’s just another corporate wageslave going back home after a long day.
Bastard
23:31:12 Local Time (18:31:12 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

The ride gets rougher as the ferry moves further out into the sea. It doesn't get any smoother as it closes in its destination, and seams to rock even more. The size of the boat, however, seems to diminish the force of the waves. Ludi stares out at the clear night wondering how Kliko's little boat handles the water.

She can now see the Arkology through the cabin windows. It looms over the sea, brightly lit with accent lighting for appearances, as well as flood lights that illuminate the islands. It will be difficult to shadowrun when there looks to be not a single shadow until you are least several meters off the rocky cliffs of the islands. At least when she makes the hit in the early morning, she will have the advantage of a low sunrise and the shadows it casts, along with the other visual hindrances it can cause.

The ferry docks, continuing its soft sway in the rough waters. Passengers methodically and sluggishly get to their feet and gather their backpacks, duffel bags, shopping bags and other belongings. The move towards the back of the cabin where floor and ceiling light strips kindly guide them. Ludi blends into the middle of the crowd, dragging her feet like the rest of the herd.

Off the boat, up a wobbly dock, more than a few people stumble and have to grab onto the rails. At the end of the dock a line forms as two armed guards check peoples identifications. They scan their cards with a small computer reader and then take a quick look. Every so often they open peoples' possessions and rifle through them quickly. A guard tower with two more guards watches over the process.

Mister Juan
23:31:12 Local Time (18:31:12 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

Ludmilla had learned, early on her career with the Federal'naya sluzhba bezopasnosti, that there were usually two ways to conduct an overt infiltration. You could blend totally with the general mass; vanish in the background and act as nothing more than mere set dressing. Or, you could go the other way entirely and stand obviously out. You wore the outlandish suit, the bright red dress that was too tight to breathe in. You yelled out the worst anecdotes in the most annoying of voices.

During the ferry ride, Ludmilla had quickly made her mind up. She'd play it down, as much as she could. She couldn't afford being remembered, even if she didn't plan on staying any longer than a single day. No matter how large the arkology might have been, it was for all intent and purposes a very much gated community.

Shuffling along the line, Ludi did her best not to look around too much. She did her best not to fidget, not to crack her knuckles, not to light a cigarette. She shifted her backpack, sighed and yawned heavily. A few more people were allowed through. The lines shortened. It was going to be the make or break moment.

The two guards at the checkpoint, she was convinced she could take not only on, but down. What did pose quite a problem were the two guards in the tower. Their vantage point would give them clear line of sights on her. In the time it would take her to neutralize the two ground guards, they ones in the guard tower would have ample opportunity to turn her into a pasta drainer.

Well then, let's not let things get out of hand.
Bastard
23:33:59 Local Time (18:33:59 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

Ludi's heart rate increases slightly, against all her training. She holds out her badge to the security guard with his scanner drawn, his Savalette Guardian holstered. Once within a few inches of the ID badge, the computer makes an electronic beep and the red light at the end turns from red to green.

"Ms. Elfriede..." the guard's voice trails off oddly. Ludi cannot determine if the stated name was in fact a statement, or a question.

"Yes..." she answers in suit.

"Please place your bag on the table."
Mister Juan
23:33:59 Local Time (18:33:59 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

At this very moment in time, Ludi craved for two distinct things: a hearty dose of nicotine in her veins… and the reassuring weight of a firearm. Unfortunately, she had neither. Well, she did have a pack of smoke stuck deep into her backpack… but lighting one at this point would look a bit strange. She gave the guard her best and most charming smile, putting down her gym bag on the table, but keeping her backpack on. Odds were the man would ask to see both, but on the off chance he was in a hurry, or just absent minded, it could only play for her. Worst came to worst, the backpack was heavy enough she could swing it at his head.

As she hefted the back unto the table, her eyes flashed briefly on the man’s holstered weapon. Savalette Guardian. She had handled the gun enough times to know she’d be able to draw it in reverse. What she didn’t like what the fact that this model came, standard issue, with a smartlink interface. Odds meant it was probably security tagged to fire only when within reach of the user’s induction palm chip. It meant she’d have to use the man as a human shield.

When he approached the bag, the young Russian woman suddently realized how dry her mouth was.
Bastard
23:34:35 Local Time (18:34:35 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

Ludi tossed the bag on the table and quickly assessed the situation. Scanning over the guard, his comrades, and the rest of the crowd. She looked up and noticed the guard giving her one of those smiles she has received so often, yet rarely returned.

This time she did, as the guard haphazardly fumbled through the underthings in her bag.
Mister Juan
23:34:35 Local Time (18:34:35 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

When she saw the look pasted on guard’s face, she knew this was her opportunity. Another other time of the day, she would have given the guy either a piece of her mind, or smacked his nose with her forehead. Putting one hand on her hips, she arched her back slightly, using everything Mother Nature had given her to advantage.

She smiled at him again, and then bit the corner of her lower lip for a second. Half of her brain was trying to judge how to best distract and charm the man. The other one was figuring out how much torque she had to put on his head and body to make them rotate in opposite direction.

Ludi leaned a bit, propping herself on the table, bringing her shoulders forward. When she talked, it was with a whisper only the man going through her bag could hear.

“I hope you don’t make love like you go through luggage.”
Bastard
23:34:40 Local Time (18:34:40 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

The quickly flushing face of the guard is more than enough to comfort Ludi. No, she is not in yet, but the first hurdle has been vaulted. He stands there trying to gather his thoughts, composure and possibly his tongue, while Ludi gathers her belongings, not yet turning off her feminine charm.
Mister Juan
23:34:44 Local Time (18:34:40 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

Her hand brushed his as she took her gym bag. She smiled crookedly at him, flashing her bright green eyes into his.

"Thanks."

Behind her, she heard another ark employee clear his throat. She was obviously starting to hold off the line, and someone somewhere was growing impatient. The guard stood, with his mouth half opened. He was either about to open it wider to say something, or to make the wise decision of closing it.

On the outside, Ludmila was relaxed, all smiles and flirtatious.
On the inside, she felt like her heart was trying to beat out of her chest. Her hands felt moist and her mouth dry.

She forced a small chuckle.

"Can I go?"
Bastard
23:34:50 Local Time (18:34:50 Pacific Time) Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

He remains silent, mouth agape, for what seems like another few seconds. "Oh yes. Yes. You are definitely okay to go."

He watches her collect her things as he calls the next employee forward. "Put your bags up here, sir." Ludi makes it past security without further molestation. The same could not be said for the man next in line who was being frisked roughly by the security guard who is still paying more attention to Ludi than his duty.
Mister Juan
23:47:01 Local Time Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

Ludmilla did her best not to look lost. She had given passing glances at the floor plans mounted on the walls, but had decided against lingering. The last thing she needed was for someone to notice she had no real idea where she was going. Finding the employee housing complex hadn't been extremely difficult. Sure, the place was huge, but it still made a certain amount of sense in its design. Finding the room of the woman who's identity she had borrowed… now that was a whole other game.

Surprisingly enough, she met very few people amongst the tight hallways of the arkology. For an almost entirely self contained city, the place struck us a rather dead and quiet. What little people did cross her path, she smiled and nodded politely. Some even exchanged a few words with her, either thinking her a familiar face, or simply pretending they knew her.

When she was finally inside Miss Elfriede's apartment, she simply stood there, in the dark, her back against the door. Her gym bag thudded against the floor as it slipped out of her hand. Letting out a breath she hadn't been aware of holding, Ludi slipped against the door until she was sitting on the ground. With eyes closed, she brought her hands together, rubbing them. Her knuckles were white, and it took her a moment to notice she was shivering. She blew on her hands, doing her best to warm herself up. It didn't even occur to her this wasn't normal.

After a few minutes of just sitting there, Ludi picked herself off the floor, not even bothering to turn the lights on. What little light there already was, her eyes made sure to amplify to a point where she could easily navigate the apartment.

When she found the tiny bathroom, with the nice glass door shower, she couldn't help but smile. Now this… This was what she had been looking for ever since setting foot in French Guiana. They'd all be sweating their asses in the thick jungle for the next few days. This was the only upside to her entire situation. She'd get to take a shower.

Finding out the hot water wasn't rationed like her apartment back home was the icing on the cake.

00:34:11 Local Time Friday, 20 January 2062 - Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

After taking one of the longest showers in her life, Ludi had quickly reassembled the jammer she had smuggled in. She should have slept. She should have enjoyed the comfortable bed and fluffy covers, knowing she'd be spending the next few days out in the jungle, sharing living quarters with an army of hungry mosquitoes. But she simply couldn't. For the past few years, every night, she went to sleep either in bunk beds or on the sofa back home. The tiny apartment she shared with her aunt and daughter simply didn't have any room for all of them. And so, Ludi had been sleeping on the sofa bed ever since. Not having the itchy wool covers scratch against her bare skin made her uncomfortable. The softness of the mattress made her dizzy.

When she finally found sleep, it was curled up in a ball, on Carina Elfriede's sofa.

05:30:00 Local Time Friday, 20 January 2062 - Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

Morning came twice as fast as she had hoped for. She hadn't as much as slept as taken a nap. Her body felt tensed up and knotted all over. She'd have rubbed her eyes if they had been real. She felt like curling up and going back to sleep, but Ludi knew very well she was far from having that luxury.

Forcing herself up, she dressed quickly into a jogging outfit, slipping on a light windbreaker. Odds were, running around near a cliff's edge, at 6 in the morning, in the middle of the ocean, was going to be a little bit chilly. There was that, and the fact she could use it to hide most of what she carried. Taking a few minutes to wipe down everything she had touched, Ludi slipped out of the room, stuffing everything she wasn't going to need in the first garbage chute she found.

Outside, the sun was starting to shine over the horizon. A gentle breeze carried over the smell of the sea. At least, the jog would make sure she was wide awake. Strolling slowly, taking in the scenery, Ludi began to walk the jogging path. She still had about 20 minutes before the target was due to start his morning jog. That gave her ample time to find a nice spot to stash the bag with the harnesses. Setting her watch to 5 minutes intervals, she keyed her transceiver once.

You guys better be there…
Bastard
23:47:01 Local Time Thursday, 19 January 2062 - Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

Ludi enters the Ark and finds an indoor city that dwarfs anything she has ever scene in San Francisco. It resembles a furturistic Megacasino-hotels in Las Vegas that everyone has seen on the trid. Everything is white plastic, polished chrome, crystal clear or black reflective glass and soft white and blue lights. Everything looks clean. Sterile.

There are not too many people up this late at night through the business center, except near the 24-hour shoppes and taverns. Directories are on just about every wall, and every corridor, shop and doorway are marked with numbers and letters in a hightech style font. Ludi is able to find her way to the living quarters of her captive without too much trouble, other than a long grueling walk.

Entering the dorm of Miss Elfriede, Ludmilla finds something off the set of Star Trek: Galaxies, and still with the the overall aseptic theme of the Arkology. She was hoping for a view of the ocean floor after taking the elevator down a few levels, but it looks like she kidnapped someone without that sort of clout. Which is probably for the best.

05:47:50 Local Time Friday, 20 January 2062 - Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

The sweatsuit was a good idea, keeping Ludi's body protected from the cool morning air blowing off the ocean. After a couple laps around the rubberized track, the humidity outweighs the breeze and she realizes it is still the tropics.

06:00:02 Local Time Friday, 20 January 2062 - Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

Right on time. The Target emerges from the Arkology...

Drek!

As Hausmann lightly jogs down the trail toward the track he is followed by a major obstacle. A small dark grey drone hovers less than two feet behind him.

Drek!

There are no obvious weapons mounted on the little guy, but there are no obvious weapons mounted on Ludi either.

Kliko
05:38:41 Local Time Friday, 20 January 2062 - somewhere near the Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

'Should have bought Bubba that fishing rod after all'. They'd been scanning for the small cruisers heat signature the moment they came within a four mile radius of the arklology. Yet even catching sleep once they dropped anchor proved nigh impossible on the rocking little skiff. Instead Bubba found himself baling out spray water from the skiff's bottom. Sure, waiting was part of the job, a major part even and veterans like the grizzled ork should have known better 'heck, I had them wire my spine to deal with that, can't they design a chip fix for this waiting stuff' yet the lumbering troll was growing increasingly restless. 'At least some fishing would have put his mind to rest, shark fishing supposed to be good out here' "A few more minutes chummer, you better get that grapple gun out." Meanwhile Kliko jacked into his own comm-unit, monitoring the frequency for this morning's ex-fil.

05:45:03 Local Time Friday, 20 January 2062 - near the Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

<Click> "We got contact Bubba, five more minutes for verification, you ready with that grapple gun?"

05:50:05 Local Time Friday, 20 January 2062 - near the Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

<Click> 'Unmistaken' Kliko keyed his comm-unit twice. <Click>.....<Click>
SneakyJoeKDB
Although early and dark Bubba was alive and awake this morning. He was feeling concerned for Ludi as he felt bad that he may of hurt her confidence the day before. Bubba wasn’t going to let anything get in the way. Patrol boat or not he would be ready. He was determined to make sure Ludi, and the mission, would be successful.

As Kliko piloted the skiff closer and closer to the Ark, Bubba scanned the waters looking for heat signatures that may identify looming patrol boats. Finally the skiff came to a rest and Kliko motioned to Bubba to keep it down as they wait. Bubba gripped the grapple gun and continued to check it for readiness.

Although in his past Bubba held many jobs were he waited, it was never easy for him. This time he was worried for some one else rather than drifting off into mindless nowhere. He was concerned and hoped that Ludi would be ok. The troll had never been this close to so many people before. JJ was his only real care, the only person that showed him interest and time, but it almost seemed that this group liked him or at least put up with him in a way that made Bubba feel secure.

As Kliko commanded, Bubba immediately rose to his feet rather soldierly and readied the grapple gun. "I gots dis Klikos". Bubba felt a little more comforted as he recognized Ludi was in communication. This feeling gave Bubba further resolve as he waited at the ready while rooted to the skiff with a firm determination to succeed at his task.
Mister Juan
05:45:03 Local Time Friday, 20 January 2062 - near the Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

After her second lap, Ludi wasn’t quite jogging anymore. Her mind had begun to drift away, and without realizing it, she had picked up the pace. On her first lap, she had stashed the backpack with the two harnesses near the edge of the cliff. It wasn’t particularly hard to spot, that was, if you went away from the path and within two feet of a sheer rock cliff. Anyone who strayed this close to the edge, for no reason, actually deserved to spot it. A mix of the local humidity and her own sweat was already running down her back. But the young woman was barely aware of it. With the breeze in her face, the smell of the sea, the rising sun on the horizon, she was elsewhere. Running laps after laps, the entire world seemed to be pushed far into the back of her mind.

For those few laps, she forgot about the jammer attached to her belt and plugged behind her right ear.
She forgot about the slap patch in her pocket.
She forgot about the pair of handcuffs in the small of her back.
She forgot about the mission.
She simply ran.

13:52:01 12 June 2054 – Griboyedov Canal, Saint Petersburg, Russia

Stopping near the railing, Ludi rested both hands on her knees. Her breathing was a bit too fast for her own taste, so she had two fingers to her neck and her eyes on her watch. Ever since she had been back from Khabarovsk Krai, she had felt her physical condition decline. She didn’t appreciate spending most of her time indoor, working behind a desk, instead of out there, in the field… but it hadn’t been her decision. All she could do was crunch in as much physical training in her spare time as she could. Which wasn’t a whole lot. Nevertheless, she was still in ten times better of a shape than most people in her unit.

Standing back up, she took a few deep breaths. Around her, locals and tourists alike went about their business. This time of year, Saint Petersburg’s Griboyedov Canal was bustling with activity. It made it a bit more difficult to jog, but Ludi didn’t mind the activity. It reminded her why she did her job.

Leaning on the railing, she looked at the water for a few seconds. Her mind had begun to wander when she felt a presence close by. A few feet away. A man. Early forties. Short grayish hair. Behind a pair of large sunglasses, he smiled at her. All Ludi did was blink once and look away. When she next turned to look at him, he was a bit too close for comfort. He smiled again, slipping his sunglasses off his nose. He came to rest next to her, mirroring her posture and resting his forearms on the railing.

Dobri dien” he said, his Russian almost spot on.

Ludmila didn’t answer. Getting hit on, anywhere else beside in a bar or club, made her uneasy. It was actually somewhat creepy. What sort of man would hit on a woman in a jogging outfit, cover in sweat, in the middle of the street.

“Nice day for a jog” the man continued in English.

For a second, what he had said didn’t quite register with Ludi’s brain. Sure, she spoke some English. In this day and age, it was mandatory. Well, almost. She simply hadn’t been quite ready for the switch. She couldn’t reply much.

Chto?” she simply said, turning to face the man.

“I beg your pardon Sergeant Soren, I was under the impression you spoke english.”

This time around, she got the jest of it. In the blink of an eye, she was on him. The collar of his short sleeve shirt tore a bit when she got hold of him. The tip of her nose was almost touching his. She could smell his cologne. She could tell what he had for dinner by the smell of his breath.

“Who are you!” she barked at him in Russian.

Around her, not a single soul stopped.

The man smiled, although this time, he didn’t seem as friendly. He went back to Russian.

“I mean you no harm Sergeant. My name is Morris. I’m just here to talk.”

That day, on the edge of the Griboyedov Canal, she had her first glimpse into a game she was still playing today. If only she knew how good of a contact Morris would become years later, she probably wouldn’t have torn part of his shirt.

But then again, if she had known he was CIA, she would have probably thrown him over the railing.

05:50:05 Local Time Friday, 20 January 2062 - near the Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

Her watched chirped in. She keyed her radio once. After a brief moment of static, her wireless earpiece clicked twice. The boys were in place.

Ten minutes later, she saw him. He looked a little less tired than the picture they had been provided with. The fact he had woken up a few minutes ago probably helped. The man didn’t look frail, but he wasn’t imposing at all. Not by a long shot. He wasn’t her primary concern. The drone was. She had expected some sort of pet drone. Or surveillance maybe. Not something that flew almost at the same height her head was. Not something that could, if it decided, to ram her off the cliff. As she picked up the pace, she realized she wouldn’t have time to plan. She’d have to improvise.

First, get the target subdued.
Then, she’d deal with whatever followed.
Hopefully, whatever followed wasn’t a tumble off a cliff and to her death.

Something that wasn’t human clicked in the back of her brain. The jammer attached to her belt sent its first high powered burst of static.

Here we go.
Bastard
05:50:41 Local Time Friday, 20 January 2062 - Off Northwest coast of Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

As the skiff rocks in the rough surf as it slowly creeps closer to the cliffs. Kliko continues to scan the sea, but has not seen any patrol boats, or other security yet. Bubba stands near the bow ready to use the grappling gun as practice, and also keeping the front of the boat from getting too high out of the water.

06:00:10 Local Time Friday, 20 January 2062 - Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

Hausmann begins his jog up the trail, with his little friend in tow. Ludi locks onto her target, readies her equipment and adjusts her pace. She hits the jammer...

Mister Juan
06:06:11 Local Time Friday, 20 January 2062 - Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

Either Hausmann had taken to jogging pretty recently, or he was simply in poor shape, because to Ludi's surprised, she actually had to slow her pace down. Timing the entire thing so she'd be close enough at the right moment proved a little more difficult than she had anticipated. Every now and then, she'd have to drastically slow down to give the man some breathing room.

When they started to near the turn where Ludi had stashed the harnesses, she took a few deep breaths, the engineered muscles in her legs pushing her forward in a burst. Hausmann probably heard the scrap of her running shoes on the gravel, because he started to turn his head. Whatever his reaction was going to be, he didn't have time for it. Head tucked in, Ludi struck the scientist like a ton of brick. With her shoulder, she caught him just under the arm, lifting him clean off the jogging path and into the air. With one arm now practically wrapped around him, she followed her momentum, bringing both Hausmann and herself to the ground.

By the time he had blinked once, Ludi was up on one of her knee, her fist balled tightly.
SneakyJoeKDB
Bubba steadily aims the grapple gun as the boat gently bobs up and down with each passing wave. 'Got to find the perfect spot... there it is. Now... steady... steady...' Bubba, completely focused, aims the grapple gun on his target. He waits for just the right moment then slowly applies pressure to the trigger... the grapple gun pops and recoils back. The silence is pierced with the pop and whining from the extending rope whipping through the air. A chink of metal against stone is heard high above the cliffs. Bubba and Kliko make eye contact as Bubba takes a deep breath and tugs the rope back, testing the grapple line, hoping to ensure the line is safely anchored to the cliff and is able to support the necessary body weight.
Bastard
06:05:22 Local Time Friday, 20 January 2062 - Off Northwest coast of Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

Bubba readies the grapple gun at his shoulder. The sway of the ocean makes the task difficult, but with the little concentration he can muster, he takes aim at the top of the cliff. Me hopes me don't hits Ludis.

06:06:12 Local Time Friday, 20 January 2062 - Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

Ludi makes a dash for her target, passing the small hoverdrone she spears him in the ribs like a pro athlete. The drone goes about an erratic flight pattern, zipping back and forth. With a heavy punch to the gut, Hausmann's only defense is the fetal position. His mouth repeatedly opening and closing gasping for breath like a fish out of water. Ludi quickly accesses the situation with the drone and any would be witnesses. The drone circles the two, now with two short barrels protruding out of the bottom half of its body. They spin on an internal turret back and forth, trying to lock onto a target.

06:06:15 Local Time Friday, 20 January 2062 - Off Northwest coast of Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

Kliko holds the skiff steady, or at least as steady as he can. Bubba, with his tongue dangling in concentration, slowly squeezes the trigger. The bolt releases with springy Thwump! Zzzzzzzzzzzz!, the nylon rope whizzes by Bubba's ear as it follows the grappling hook up, up and up toward the top of the cliff.
Kliko
06:06:45 Local Time Friday, 20 January 2062 - Off Northwest coast of Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

Bubba and Kliko look at eachother in anticipation. Checking the line one more time, Bubba signals a thumbs up while frantically peering at the top of the cliff 40 meters above them. 'Hook secure, frag that, it better'. When Kliko starts shortening the anchor line, effectively completing the rope slide from their end. "Bubba, key your comm-unit three times, frag chance the signal is stronger than Ludi's jamming, but we got to give it a chance." 'At least we got some decent ECCM-equipped comms.'
Bastard
06:06:20 Local Time Friday, 20 January 2062 - Ile Du Diable, French Guiana

Ludi grabs the struggling Hausmann. Struggling to catch his breath more than to fight his attacker off. The drone continues its aberrant flight pattern, its turret still not able to lock onto a target jerks back and forth.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Something whooshes by Ludi's right ear!

Clang!

The drone is sent spinning in circles the opposite direction, and a large grappling hook is deflected off its course. It lands a few meters away from Ludi and off to the right, caught amongst some of the bushes like the ones she used to store her repelling gear. The drone continues its dance off to the left.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012