Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Evolution
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
Bastard
22:52:25 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

“My friend has confirmed transfer. This is good,” Ludi's voice comes over the radio.

Kliko watches the scene, catching Ludi's signal, as she lights up a cigarette. He shoulders his weapon and scopes in on Mr. Smith.

“I have question for you: where is Smith?”

22:52:33 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

Ludi watches the corners of his lips turn upwards into a crooked smile as he realizes she has seen through his disguise. "No worries, ma'am. You have your money, and your employer will never complain. Hand over Mr. Hausmann, accept this payment, and we may go our separate ways."
Mister Juan
22:52:33 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

Ludmila took a long drag on her cigarette, considering very hard what she was about to say. She could walk away with the money. She could tell the boys to gun everyone down. But, instead of action, the young russian woman reined in her temper, and did something she rarely did: she decided to talk things out.

"That would be good idea. But before we do anything, you and I talk, yes? You tell your men to hold back, and I tell mine. We can all walk away from this. I tell you my side of story, you tell me your side of story, and maybe we can understand each other."

She blew out a thick cloud of smoke.

"It is not good, but I cannot take your words. We do not have working relationship. So, we do not have trust. Maybe you are Proteus? Maybe better, maybe worst."

She took another drag, forcing some sort of smile on her face.

"Problem is, I have deal with Smith. I do not have deal with you. Maybe the man you want costs more now, yes? If you are here, maybe there are others who want him? You see dilema I am in? How do I know this is not very bad for me? Very bad for" and she made little air quotes "reputation. Bad reputation is bad for work. You understand."

Ludi shifted her weight forward ever so slightly. The gab between the man and herself wasn't all that great. With a quick dash, she could cover the distance. Grab him. Use him as a human shield.

"Now you understand my side, make me understand yours."
Kliko
22:52:28 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka
'Drek!' Kliko looked sideways checking up on Hausmann who's market value just doubled, whispering in a hushed voice: "Get back Rookie, tis a setup."

A moment later the laser sights red dot appeared on the Imposters chest, wobbling before finally closing in on its center.

22:52:36 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka
"Copy that Lima, you're doing fine... keep Smiths best interest in mind..."

"... and get the frag out of my field of fire.."
Bastard
22:52:56 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

Smith nods, "I understand your concern. My only concern is getting Herr Hausmann back safe. I will do whatever is necessary to accomplish that. I have no quarrel with you, but I will not let you stand in the way."

The smile has now disappeared, his face now rigid, his eyes cold.

"Take the money. Give me Hausmann. We all go home. Bodies and reputations intact."
Kliko
22:52:57 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

Hausmann could hear the Kalashnikovs bolt rock back and forth as Kliko introduced the Imposter to the wrong end of a thing called applied firepower. 'Frag that, you stalling little fragger.' On the clearing time itself slowed down as events unfolded in front of Ludi's eyes. The laser sights red dot exploding in a burst of blood and gore as a stream of high-velocity copper core rounds hit the Imposter time after time, knocking him clear of his feet.

'Biiig fragging guns alright.'
Bastard
22:53:00 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

Smith tries his hardest at a friendly smile. "All I want is -"

The man's chest explodes with a series of high pitched zips and heavy thumps. His feet lift off the ground as his body spins about 90 degrees on its way to the ground. Ludi now stands alone in the field, only a pink mist hangs in the air where Smith once stood.

"Holy dreks! He blowed himself up!" Bubba relays over the radio.

Ludi drops to the ground, almost at the same time Smith's corpse does. Automatic, no, burst fire comes from the northwest and northeast corners of the clearing. Bullets smash into the earth, throwing dirt around Ludi's prone body. Unfortunately for her, one bullet group lands on her right rib cage.

From the far end of the treeline an, "Oh fraggit!" echos.

Bubba's newly acquired Stoner-Ares M-107 starts barking, completely breaking the silence of the night. Trees across the road from him splinter under the full automatic machine gun fire. "Ahhhhhhhhhhh yeahs!" the giant cheers himself on.

"Me thinks I gots one downs, boss," Bubba whispers over the radio.
Bastard
22:53:03 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

Ludi grunts with the impact of the rounds crashing into her armor, though it doesn't stop her low-crawl to Smith's body. There she makes use of it, rolling it on its side, making a meat shield between herself and the treeline. Maybe he had a an active focus holding a ballistic shield...

Kliko takes aim over the top of Ludi's position where he can spot some movement in the treeline. He takes a peak to the side and catch Hausmann watching him, trying to emulate his stance, and the same angle of fire.

Bubba's machine gun only pauses before shattering the night's silence once again. "Get some! Get some!"

Kliko sees his target tumble to the ground under the hail of lead, but keeps his rifle aimed down range. Ludi remains covered, catching a quick breath.

"Got da odder guy too," Bubba whispers tactically through the radio.

Faintly in the distance, they hear a volley of sound suppressed fire.
Kliko
22:53:09 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

‘No plan survives contact with the enemy’ rang in the back of Kliko’s mind when he watched Ludmilla move in the perifery of his iron sights. ‘thank god, she lives.’ He wandered who was still firing now that Bubba blasted away those razor boys. The only reasonable explanation that there had been more than two razor boys in the van…‘frag that van.’ Releasing his aim, the radio-channel blurted to life as Kliko barked a short series of orders:

“Good job Bravo, now wreck that van! Sierra, report in!”

Looking over his shoulder he could see Hausmann imitating his stance. “Get ready Rookie, we gonna save the woman.”
Bastard
22:53:11 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

Without hesitation the Stoner-Ares swings and opens fire once again.

"Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!" Bubba cheers himself on as a hail of machine gun fire rips down the side of the van.

Kliko
22:53:12 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

Looking through the jungle undergrowth Kliko could barely make out the shapes moving across the clearing and jungle-treeline. 'Something is definately going down over there.' Zooming back he finally noticed Ludi darting for cover somewhere between the market. With Ludi now relatively safe, he repeated his request:

"Sierra, report in... over"

'Drek, I want my BattleTactm! whats keeping that guy...'
Bastard
22:53:20 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

While Bubba provides suppressive fire, Ludi darts for the market. It should provide semi-decent cover, and will put her between her two heavily armed teammates.

"That's good, big guy. I think the van's dead."

"OH YEAH! WHO'S YER DADDY!!!" The machine gun continues to perforate the cargo van.

"Bravo, seize fire." Kliko turns to Hausmann, pointing at the ground, "Rookie hold position here, and keep your rifle trained on that van." I doubt anyone is left alive, so there should be no chance of him discovering his rifle is inop.

"SHOOTS AT LUDIS DO YAS! I FRAG YOU UP!!!" Bubba continues his over zealous assault on the vehicle.

"BRAVO! Seize your goddamn fire!" Kliko moves hastily toward the market where it looks like Ludi is heading for cover. The ork keeps his rifle shouldered and pointed down range, about 45 degrees from the direction he is moving.

Ludi dives over the market counter, tucks into a ball, rolls and comes up crouched in the back corner, pistol at the ready.

The machine gun finally goes silent to the chagrin of Kliko, the locals, and a 2060 Ford Ecoline. "Sorry, boss."

Kliko continues to manage the battlefield. "Bravo, move to Sierra. Possible targets still active. Be mad sneaky. Lima, continue moving toward my position. Meet up with the Rookie and get him back to Delta." He almost needs to stop and take a breather after that long transmission while on the move.

Ludi takes a few more quick breaths, "On my way, Kilo." She slides out the back door, and runs between the huts, which should provide concealment.

"I gots it Klimos?!" Bubba does a combat roll out of his position feeling jacked up, even minus the donuts. He runs across the dirt road into the grove where the two enemies were. He does another combat roll as he hits the treeline, trying to keep up with his teammates military expertise. Of course these combat rolls are more special ed somersaults than military maneuvers.
Kliko
22:53:41 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

The first brave or stupid, depending on how you put it, locals started showing their faces from the doors and alleyways of Saramaka. The helmeted figures running about their village, all-geared up in combat fatigues and blazing away with what looked like some heavy weaponry smelled like more trouble was yet to come. Actually they smelled like cordite, but to the veteran merc those were effectively two sides of the same coin. The police and corps would find their way down here asking questions in this usually quiet backwater village...

Meanwhile a laser sight darted across their clearing telling this fight wasn't over yet as Kliko made his way along the market and upto the van which appeared to have been suffering the brunt of the previous automatic fire. Loading his creole linguasoft Kliko starts barking at the locals, tusks protruding aggressivly from under his security helmets visor "Ale andedan ak ale desann!" 'Stupid fraggers!'

Finding cover behind the mauled van Kliko regained some of his breath, clearly smelling an air of gasoline. 'Bubba must have hit some of those fuel lines. This baby is about to burst into flames!' Nothing prepared him for the grizzly sight to come as he peeked into the vans interior... 'Nobody gets out such carnage and lives to tell the tale.'
Bastard
22:53:41 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

Many of the faces disappear or at least sink to the corner of their windows and doorways, now that they realize one of the combatants has taken a notice to them. Kliko turns back to the van and opens the bullet riddled sliding side door. Inside, the rubber mats and carpeting are stained with a sticky brown liquid. Styrofoam cups sit in various cup holders torn apart from more action than they were ever planned to see. The smell of stale soykaff reminds Kliko of home, and he is ready to wrap this mission up.

I pile of pink papers lie on the floor between the two front bucket seats. It is also covered in spilled brew, but some information may still be available.

Bubba crunches through the underbrush of the jungle before arriving at the far edge, overlooking the small clearing where Sugar had spotted the two men earlier. Bubba can see Sugar lying in the middle of the clearing. He can see that his teammate is still alive as his body writhes. A second body lies motionless at the next treeline.
Kliko
22:53:47 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

Kliko grabbed the pile of stained pink papers on the van´s floor. Tucking them away between his combat webbing. ´Something to sort out later on, I got to get out of here.´ Peeking around vans corner he could see movement further down the treeline where one of the razor boys was crawling into what appeared to be a shallow ditch. "Bravo, I'm coming for the treeline, cover me." ´Eat lead fragger.´ Readying his weapon, bipod extended Kliko darted for the treeline, pouring round after round in the remaining goons general direction.

The remaining razor boy was in a tight spot and he knew it. Bleeding all over the jungle floor, this was clearly not what he signed up for. Once that Brute started chewing his team up with that cannon of his, he knew things went from bad to worse. Now that the continouos automatic fire stopped he could see another helmeted and burly ork -by the look of his tusks- running up to the van that brought them to this wretched place. A moment later the ork reappeared, Kalashnikov at the ready, muzzle fire flashing from the extended barrel... no make that a sound suppressor as he ran for the treeline.

Multiple rounds shredded the jungle foliage, throwing up dirt all around the razor boys little hidey hole as it was saturated with suppresive fire ... 'oh Drek!'
SneakyJoeKDB
22:53:51 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

As Bubba peers through the brush his heart sinks as he sees his teamate twitching on the ground. 'Poor shugars... I'll kills dem for dis!'

"Boss, Shugars is down in the clearings before da next treelines, he is moving, needs you to patch him ups. I sees another body at da next treelines, moving to next treelines to making sure jerks are dead and yous can save Shugars! And dont worries I be mad sneakies..."

Bubba army crawls across the field towards the next treeline scanning every inch of the woods in front of him for heat signatures. 'I gonna gets the bastard that dids this!'
Kliko
22:54:00 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

"Copy that Bravo, setup a field of fire and cover me. I can hear you crawl about loud and clear."

Kliko focussed his audio-enhancements on the jungle area in front of him. Relying on his tricked out cyber-ears to scan the area before finally making a break for the next treeline stopping every 36 or so meters and re-checking his bearings.
Bastard
22:54:00 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

Approaching the next treeline, Bubba spots someone in the forest to his left, a little late, as a shot slams into the shoulder of his armored jacket, and a second whizzes by.

Kliko is able to hear shots fired with his amplified hearing. He checks on Bubba, who seems to be fine. Sugar is in and out.
SneakyJoeKDB
22:54:03 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

Bubba immediately responds with a crazed grin and an unrelenting trigger finger. Shell casings begin falling and loud bursts echo through the area as Bubba sprays his opponent with hot lead. "You got Shugars... Now I gets yousssssssssss!" Bubba then runs towards the enemy continuing to spray shots with little regard for his opponents lifeless body.

Bubba stands over the fallen foe just staring with an angry disgust then blasts him in the head several more times. 'you hurts my familys, you dies' He then searches what is left of the bullet torn body.
Kliko
22:54:09 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

'You never hear the shot that kills you.' Kliko hit the ground running soon as he heared the first supressed shots fired. It was not for long before Bubba opened up with his Stoner-Ares. 'Now that at least is a comforting sound.' knowing Bubba was alright, Kliko finally lifted his head from cover looking at the scene unfolding in front of him.

"Bravo, cease fire... BRAVO! Seize your goddamn fire! The guy is dead alright!... Bravo setup a field of fire and cover me."

22:54:38 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

"...Bravo cover me you fraggin turd! I don't want to get shot patching up Sierra." Stress started to sap through Kliko's otherwise cool radio comms. Only the dead Imposter knew how many more gilettes were roaming out there...
SneakyJoeKDB
22:54:42 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

Bubba picks up his radio and crouches into position. "Gots yas covereds boss... Had to take care of somethings..." Bubba's field of fire is poised to cover the north and south treelines.

Feeling settled, Bubba quietly observes the treelines for any more threats.
Kliko
22:55:32 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

Sugar was a mess. His lower leg blown to pieces, dark fluids pouring from one or more sliced arteries. 'Is that actual blood or hydraulic fluids?' Ripped fiber-optic cables protruding through the camo coverall flashing signals into the night... these were just some of the wounds Kliko could identify at a moments notice. Shock-symptoms were recognizable easily enough though... No matter what badass appearance you tried to maintain, nothing in the sixth world prepares you for your teammates warm blood pouring all over you. Meanwhile Kliko slipped back in routine, he would have to deal with the emotional trauma afterwards.

'Consiousness -> check, breathing-> check, pulse -> drek, he's loosing way to much blood, shock-> drek, where did i put that tranq-patch?'

Stabilize and preparing Sugar for transport was Kliko's first priority right now. The mayhem from Bubba's Stoner-Ares guaranteeing the police, or corps or whoever called himself boss in this fraggin hellhole would turn up rather sooner than later. Applying the tourniquet to Sugars arm would at least stop him from bleeding to death until Kliko could fix him up with some of those StopBleedNowtm plugs he was sure to find somewhere in his medkit. Sure the fractured lower leg would hurt like hell, but not kill him for now.

Unrolling the Hennesy-hammock Kliko put Sugar in like a baby-doll. Signalling Bubba to get over and help him carry off their teammate in a comfortable manner. Kliko slipped the Kalashnikov back to his back hanging from his 3-point tactical sling, putting the hammocks back-end over his shoulder and ready for transport once Bubba picked up the hammocks front-end creating an improvised stretcher-unit.
Bastard
23:16:39 Local Time Monday, 23 January 2062 - Saramaka

The sounds of the night include the rustling of tree branches in the wind, the chirping of crickets, various animals moving about the forest floor as well as the canopy, and the heavy breathing of Kliko and Bubba as they jog toward the river, carrying Sugar on the litter between them. The sound they do not hear is that of sirens, as the locals seem content to hide, or they lack the technology to reach out for some sort of emergency or law enforcement response.

As they near the river, they find Duster and Hausmann securing the road, Ludi in the skiff, ready to disembark. The two metahumans load their injured comrade onto the skiff, then are joined by the two pulling rear security. The boat enters the darkness of the river once again, and the team is able to catch their breath.

"So what's in the bag?" Duster casually asks.

Ludi shoots him an exasperated look. She quickly turns her gaze over the bow of the ship, back toward the river. She lights a cigarette and takes a long hard drag in disgust of her teammates priorities. The inhalation causes her ribs to burn, more so than her lungs, almost enough to cause her to cough. She takes a slow large breath of air, and lets it slowly, trying to sooth the pain from the firefight.

Kliko just stares at him, not knowing how to answer exactly. Ludi is obviously upset, but he is not sure how much of her anger lies on the results of the engagement, his combat decisions, or Knuckle Duster's lack of concern.

Bubba, of course, is a little less aware of the tension. "I hopes theres some donuts!" His grin grows across his face as his expectations skyrocket. He grabs the bag, unzips it, and dumps out its contents, turning the bag inside out. Quickly digging through the pile on the deck, reality sinks in. His smile transforms into a large frown, "No donuts. Just credsticks."
Bastard
03:06:20 Local Time Tuesday, 24 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

The skiff coasts through the darkness of the jungle, when the lights of the city finally cut through the trees signaling the mission is almost complete. Duster cuts the engines, then wakes Kliko. He then kicks the sleeping giant in the ribs, who grunts, but finally stops snoring, and now the boat has gone completely silent. The boat floats on the rivers current toward the city.

Another twenty minutes down the river and the city can now be seen. Duster spots a small fishing dock still on the outskirts of the city, and Kliko guides the skiff towards it. After disembarking the craft, and the rest of the team has secured the area, Kliko and Duster dowse the skiff with the remaining fuel. With the engine throttle set to low, they untie the boat and send it back up river, setting it on fire as it moves away.

04:15:29 Local Time Tuesday, 24 January 2062 - Kourou, French Guiana

The group is moving toward the city, when the ground starts shaking, and a large rumbling can be heard. The team readies their weapons preparing for some sort of magical attack. Twenty seconds later and the rumbling grows and a large flickering orange light grows east of the city, opposite of team.

"Volcano!" Bubba screams and dives for cover.

Soon after a rocket launches from the site, presumably the Proteus Arkoblock on Ile Du Diable. It stretches across the sky followed by a large yellow-orange flame and a cloud of smoke that still touches the ground.

"It's okay Bubba," Kliko taps him on the back.

Bubba looks up, "Oh... pretty!"

The spacecraft continues its course out of the atmosphere. Kliko notices the Rookie taking a longer look and being completely taken in by the sight. "It is beautiful," he says.

05:00:00 Local Time Tuesday, 24 January 2062 - Poisson Inn, Kourou, French Guiana

With the team holed up in a temporary safe house, a small motel on the derelict west side of Kourou, they are able to arrange transport out of country through Miron. However, they have to use Bala to arrange medical care for Ludi and Sugar, who will be transported back to California at a later date.

06:30:00 Local Time Tuesday, 24 January 2062 - Poisson Inn, Kourou, French Guiana

With the team exiting country soon, and Sugar safe with a Street Doc named DeLorean, for the time being, it looks like the mission is complete. Hausmann is fast asleep, with the aid of a tranq patch, and the rest of the team is waiting outside in a van. Kliko pulls the personafix-chip from Hausmann, then the tranq patch. When he wakes up, he will probably be very confused, but safe.

23:07:33 Tuesday, 24 January 2062 - Buchanan Field, Concord, California

The private jet touches down gently on the runway. There is a rental van waiting for you, also set up by Miron. Inside is the payment that was wired to him by Mr. Smith per the agreement, minus the costs of transportation. It looks like you were paid for the same run twice, bringing the total payment for each of the runners to 26,000 nuyen.gif , instead of the expected 16,000 nuyen.gif .

This brings some haunting questions back to the surface. What happened to Mr. Smith? Who was the impostor and what was his agenda? How are they related? It is safe to assume that Hausmann was not wanted to be at the launch, but by all news reports, it looks to have gone off without a hitch. These questions don't linger too long, as the team is content with getting out mostly okay, but all alive, and well paid.
Bastard
Transferred from IC Recruitment 3

22:00:00 Local Time Monday, 27 March 2062 - Concord, California

The sound of automatic gun fire echoes throughout Kliko's living room. Explosions thunder behind the couch centered in the room as fighter jets streak over head. "GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!" the overly muscled soldier carrying the M-60 yells.

"David. David!"
"Huh?" Kliko pulls his attention away from the trideo set.
"Your phone is ringing! And can you turn that thing down, it's damn near 10 o'clock!" his wife yells over the action trid.

Kliko takes the phone from his wife, a sees the caller ID. "Radek." He hasn't heard from him since the Shasta run. Kliko mutes the movie, hits "Accept," and starts walking toward his office for the privacy needed when dealing with work calls.

Kliko takes the phone from his wife, a sees the caller ID. "Radek." He hasn't heard from him since the Shasta run. Kliko mutes the movie, hits "Accept," and starts walking towards the master bedroom for the privacy needed when dealing with work calls.

The house was starting to get a bit overcrowded with his spawn and friends running around the house with Saito's crackdowns on metas. The bed room being one of few places he could take a rest... or so he figured. Pressing the accept button he put the cellphone to his ear while walking into the room... in time to see his eldest covering some scraggy looking ork-girl. 'Yup, this place is definitely getting over-crowded'

Pointing a finger in the direction of the bedroom Kliko didn't even bother to kick the living shit out of his boy. Radek meant biz and he could damn well use the cred with all the folk stopping by on their way over to Silicon Valley.

"Yes..."

Radek is right to the point, "Can you make a meet on Thursday?"

"No problem, text me the location and time... you want me to get the others involved?"

"You can bring your team, or assemble them afterward."

08:49:03 Local Time Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Martinez, California

Firing up the soykaff-machine Kliko thought he could have been off far worse. At least in his office he wouldn't have to endure the coming and going of vaguely familiar people, claiming to be related to his wife in some way or another, as well as her bossing him around.

This, this workshop, his office, was his domain, the place where he could find some peace of mind... Draco, his dealer, offering secretary services in turn for a small fee, that, that provided just the icing on the cake. 'Better bring Bubba some of those exotic topped donuts before I come to see him.' He had just two more days to prepare for this meet and he intended to visit his crew and talk to hem one-on-one beforehand.

Ludi would had been cantankerous about Kliko for opening up on the mage at the end of their last run. 'She's probaply right too.'. It was just that he was to stubborn to admit it. In the end things could have ended up far worse for the team. 'But the fact is... they didn't.'. He pressed the soykaff-machines button for a quadruple espresso.... mug. 'Yeah, I'll visit her first.... see how she feels about some new bizz runnin for this Radek-fragger.'. Witht he coffee-machine all buzzing in the background Kliko jacked in his pocket-secretary and send James a text message:

08:57 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [KLIKO>>>JAMES] >>>: "Hola amigo, tiene usted alguna información sobre esta Radek persona? No hay información, no hay dinero amigo!"

08:58 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [JAMES>>>KLIKO] >>>: Lo siento mi amigo, no he sido capaz de encontrar cualquier información sobre este Radek. Él es un fantasma.

Styrofoam was a wonderfull material. Invented almost a century ago never stopped amazing Kliko how uncomfortably hot it kept his soykaff... 'We put computers in living flesh, yet I can't simply run a timer on my image link to calculate when my soykaff is ready to drink without that other upgrade!'

With James investigation turning up blank on Radek, all there was left to do was pay Ludi a visit and see whether her contacts could dig up some intel on their beneficiary. While firing up the Landrover's engine Kliko sent one last message before heading out to Ludmilla.

09:19 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [KLIKO>>>JAMES] >>>: "Veo fantasmas, o te profundizar lo suficiente?"

09:20 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [JAMES>>>KLIKO] >>>: "Voy a seguir a cavar, pero ya he llegado al final de la matrix."

09:23 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [KLIKO>>>JAMES] >>>: "Si desea buscar en la matriz de que se contrate a un pisos. Para este tipo de dinero que esperan para ir a buscar."

Driving up the interstate Kliko found some time to clear his mind. Orcasm blasted away in the background of his recently pimped Land Rover, but only the real low bass level tunes rang through his ear dampeners. He knew Ludi was still angry with him, but she had to let it go. 'Be polite, be professional, walk away when she starts over reacting.' Kliko took his soykaff cup, turning it around and back again before finally taking a sip.

09:34 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [KLIKO>>>Ludi] >>>: "Hi honey, I'm near your neighbourhood can I get you anything for breakfast or pick you up somewhere?"

09:23 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [JAMES>>>KLIKO]"Voy a seguir buscando"

"Ya knows whats you want!
(Big! Green! And Bumpy!)
Ya knows how you wants it!
(Yeah, Big! Green! And Bumpy!)
BIG! GREEN! AND BUMPY!"

Kliko's heavy metal thunders around his sport utility vehicle as it travels down the freeway. Along with noise pollution, he is also texting while driving, and eating/drinking while driving, breaking three CFS road laws. Keeping one hand on the wheel and one eye on the road, Kliko is sure to watch for the police, knowing that the police are more concerned with handing out tickets for these infractions, than they are in stopping crimes or catching criminals.

11:02:55 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Bay area, California

He had been driving around all morning looking for Ludi, down at what Kliko suspected was her neighborhood. 'Frag this, the woman's got to live somewhere nearby?' Not wanting to raise suspicion by asking around he finally aborted driving by Frank's Donut shop instead. He could sure use another soykaff and a donut perhaps. 'Got to mind my weight, all this good livin', I'm starting to loose my edge.' Besides he was sure to find Bubba down at Frank's, 'perhaps Jaxx knew where to find Ludi.'

11:12 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [KLIKO>>>JAXX]: "Ola my friend, I need some extra talent for the crew. Can you set up a meet at Ludi's next big match?"

Kliko pulls into the parking lot of the Frank's and spots Bubba's Gideon in its usual spot. At least I always can find one of my teammates.

Entering the establishment he finds Bubba elbow deep in what looks to be his second "Bubba's Special." Franky looks up from what looks to be a sided conversation with the feasting giant. "Aye, Kliko! Come sit. I gets you a fresh cup of soykaff."

"Thanks, Tubbs," Kliko takes a seat at the bar next to Bubba, but a safe distance away. Best not get in the kill zone of the feeding giant. Franky returns with a large yellowish white ceramic mug with "KLiKO" hand written on the side with a permanent marker, filled with some of the best smelling soykaff. He would think it was some artisan blend, if he hadn't already known it was the same cheap store brand his wife insists on buying. Some people must just know how to make coffee.

"Hewo, Kwikos!" Bubba says, donut particles falling back into his pink box of pastries, as he continues to eat.

"Morning." Kliko looks around, waiting for everyone to go back to their papers, and their own donuts and soykaff. "Radek called. We got work. Have you talked to Ludi or Duster lately?"

Bzzzzzzzzzz... "...Big, Green, and Bumpy!" Kliko's mFone vibrates and music alert plays, indicating a new text message. "Speak of the devil," he says, seeing a new message from Ludi.

"I dow know wha da debil haff to do whiff diff," Bubba ponders as more food sprays from his mouth.

11:21 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [LUDI>>>KLIKO]: I am in the middle of a prior engagement, but I can meet you halfway. Can you meet me at the Flying J in Flag City?

11:22 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [KLIKO>>>LUDI]: All the way out there? When do you want to meet?

11:22 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [LUDI>>>KLIKO]: 1215 good?

11:22 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [KLIKO>>>LUDI]: Yeah - omw

"Found Ludi. Guess she has been working."

"She gots a new team! I thought she was our friend!?"

"It may be solo work, buddy." Kliko wonders himself, not about the friendship, but the team issue. "Go find Duster. I talked to Jaxx about getting some more help, too."

"Whats about Sugar?"

"He is still recovering. Don't worry, he will still get his cut. He said he would contact me when he was functioning."

Kliko orders a pastry before leaving, and has Franky transfer his drink to a to-go cup and topping it off. He pats Bubba on the back, then returns to his car for the trip up river.

11:28 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [JAXX>>>KLIKO]: Cannot get a hold of Ludi. Word is she has been busy working up in Sacramento. I will find you some more talent. Any special requests?

11:39 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [KLIKO>>>JAXX]: "On my way to see her right now. Need a mojo-worker, wire-jock or drone-operator in that order. Missing the Gnomes Bravo Tango we used on the other job.

11:40 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [JAXX>>>KLIKO]: I will see who is available.

11:43:45 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - North of Stockton

"Ya knows whats you want!
(Big! Green! And Bumpy!)
Ya knows how you wants it!
(Yeah, Big! Green! And Bumpy!)
BIG! GREEN! AND BUMPY!!!!"

The Land Rover picked up speed as it pulled up Interstate #5. Meanwhile Kliko wondered how much more the Rovers suspension could take with Bubba rocking in the back seat "BIG! GREEN! AND BUMPY!!!!"

11:43:45 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 -CSU Hayward/East Bay, Concord, CA

"... they are afraid. Afraid that we are too powerful. Afraid that we are too young to possess such things. Afraid they will no longer be needed. Afraid they have now become the dependent. Their insecurity and fear is caused by their ignorance, and masked by their anger and hate. Do not reciprocate their hate. It is their ignorant fear of the unknown. Do not hold their ignorance against them! We must teach them to accept us. Do not play their game! You must disprove their prejudices! This fight has been fought before on this very soil! It will take time, but they will..."

The sophomore elk shaman's speech carries through the group of young maturing magicians of different aspects, as well as half of the crowd who are mundane sympathizers or wanna-bes. Felix leaves his place roaming the edge of the crowd after his cell phone started its vibration sequence. He looks at the caller ID. A toothy grin grows across his face as the possibility of the hunt appears, even if it is Jaxx on the caller ID.

"Hello Jaxx."
"Heya chummer! I got a crew that is looking to strengthen it's core with some new players. They are one of my best teams, but it seems they always have work outside of my resources, but of course they come to me when they need somethin. You know what I'm sayin, chummer? Anyways, they are lookin for a little mojo as they put it, and I think you fit the bill. I was telling them just the other day-"
"Okay Jaxx-"
"that what they really needed was a magic user. It looks-"
"Okay Jaxx-"
"like they finally listened to good ole Jaxx. I think you'll-"
"JAXX! I FRAGGIN GOT IT!"
"Whoa there chummer. I thought you would want some work. I mean, this team would really fit you, and I think you would-"
"JAXX! I said yes already!"
"Oh, well... They would be-"
"Who do I contact?"
"I will set up the meet and give you a call. Hope you are in a better mood then. I find there are a lot of runners that seem to be short. Sorry. I mean short tempered, not statured. Not saying you are not tall, just that-"
"Just send me a text Jaxx."
"Alright chummer, I will give my the team-"

Felix ends the call. His smile still somewhat remains on his face. Even Jaxx can't ruin the feeling he gets from the hunt.

11:49:45 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Dex at Jack London Square, Oakland, CA

Jamie's cell rings and she checks the ID. Good news and bad news, it is Jaxx. She steps away from the other customers at the electronics store, and accepts the call.

"Hello, Jaxx."
"Heya chumma! I got some works with one of my top teams. They need a decker if you are up for it. Word is they take on some pretty heavy runs, enough that they haven't been coming to me for work the past few months. They usually just rent a decker, but I think they are looking for a permanent member to their team. I really think you would fit the bill, but they are based further out in the east bay, but I figure that work is work, and you would mesh well with them-
"Okay Jaxx, set up-"
"like I said, they are one of my top teams. You-"
"Set up the meet, gotta go."
"really-"

Jamie hangs up and goes back to looking at computer hardware.

11:50:41 Tueday, 28 March 2062 - Flying J, Flag City

What was once a couple of gas stations, truck stops, fast food joints, greasy spoons and a hotel or two, has now developed into its own small stop and go city lying a few miles north of Stockton, East of Lodi and about 20 miles south of the Sacramento area. Kliko's SUV cruises underneath I-5 taking the next left into the Flying J "trucker's mall." It houses 30 gasoline, flexfuel, and diesel pumps along with 10 charging stations for electrocars and hybrids. Along with the fueling station is a large shoppe, which houses a large quick stop style mart, and a 24 hour diner, small sleep area and showers for long-haul truckers, an entertainment hall and a small bar.

Kliko pulls into the large parking lot that runs along side Highway 12, along with all the tractor-trailers are usually parked for overnight stays, but is unoccupied at this time of day.

11:51 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [KLIKO>>>LUDI]: here

It is not long before he sees Ludi's 3320 zip into the gas station and pull up to the far pump, where the least traffic is. She slides out of her seat simultaneously lighting up a cigarette. She walks over to the pump, touches the panel with a credstick, and begins the transfer of fuel to her car. She opens her phone, then scans the area, spotting Kliko. She gives him a nod and continues pumping her gas.

'Damn. Damn her. She must still be pissed.'

A man approaches her, and Kliko is halfway out of his truck. "You know, miss, you can't smoke in this here. You will cause us all to explode." Her eyes narrow, but she says nothing. Kliko relaxes. It is enough to make him shrink down, and wish he would have minded his own business. Ludi replaces the pump in its holster and walks back toward the driver's seat, flicking her lit cigarette at the man hitting him in the chest. He stands frozen as she gets in her car and zips off around the market area. Soon enough she comes around the backside and parks alongside Kliko, the opposite direction, so they are sitting next to each other.

"Da?"

"Got to talk biz. We have a meet scheduled this Thursday." Kliko didn't feel like arguing. Bringing the announcement as a fact of life. 'Be there or be square, and we two come recollect your retainer fee.' "You got yourself a nice ride girl. Is that the turbo- or standard version? Whatcha pay for it? cred/cash?... Life must be good up north, or is this from our last job?"

It was an obvious attempt at small talk to ease her mood and gather some intel on her biz up north. It finally dawned upon Kliko 'Frag, she needs to get laid!... no, on second thought, she needs a man! A father to her children... A lover, a man she can bond with, a soul mate.'... Kliko didn't even know where to start looking for someone like that 'She got attachment issues alright... and I was figuring I had a hard time...'

"I have this car a while. Thursday. What time?"

"Radek will text me."

"I will make time. Forward it to me, and I will be there."

'Pfftt, Ice Queen.' "I also contacted Jaxx on a replacement for Sugar. My street doc tells me he should make a full recovery once the replacement parts are fully grown, takes a few more months though... The bills are killing me already... could use the extra cred." In fact Kliko was semi-optimistic about their future cash-flows now Radek finally contacted them for some biz. "Anyway, I'll be meeting the replacements tomorrow, feel free to join in, but I guess you still working up north?"

"You can count on me, but I have some... personal business I must complete... 'up north' first. I am afraid I will not be able to meet our potential teammates, tomorrow."

She could tell something has been bothering Kliko, but she was unsure of what exactly it was. Tensions were high after Saramaka, and have only seemed to increase since then. Ludi and Kliko did not see eye to eye over the actions of the last run, that much was obvious, but they have yet to discuss it openly.

"I will try to wrap things up. I will do my best to meet you Thursday. Keep me informed."

It was unlikely that Ludi would have completed her business before then. When Ira Gallagher asked her for a "favor" there was no way she would turn it down, and Ms. Gallagher is not someone you disappoint. Even after money has exchanged hands between contacts, there is always that non-talked about currency, that of the balance of favors, and Ludi knows that it is always good to have a contact, especially a politician, in debt to you.

"Alright, Ludi. Take care, run safe. Hope to have you back in the bay soon."

She nods, gives a half smile. "If all goes well, Kliko."

The black Honda-GM shifts into gear and jets out of the parking lot. Kliko watches the car take a hard right and disappear onto the I-5 as he rolls passively out of the parking lot.

11:57 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [KLIKO>>>LUDI]: "Contact me when you run in to trouble ok. Can't have people go medieval up your pretty ass. I owe you for the other night."
Bastard
12:35:18 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Dex at Jack London Square, Oakland, CA

Stepping out of the computer store, Jamie checks the time on her cellphone. I wonder when the meet time was. I suppose I should have been easier on Jaxx. Maybe he really is trying to find a decent crew.

The only reason I didn't shoot the last fragger he set me up with is 'cause I was pounding the snot out of him for patting my hoop. Sigh, I guess I ought to at least make the meet even if it doesn't work out.

Jamie dials up an anonymous text site using her cellphone. Entering in her message, she sends it off.

12:42:44 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [JAMIE>>>JAXX]: I'll make it. I need time and place and 4 hours.

Not having found anything interesting out and about, Jamie jumps on the BART heading back to her doss.

13:05 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 Felix's Apartment, Concord, CA

Felix walks back into his apartment after a quick glance into the astral to check on the hearth spirit he left behind. A quick blast of Health Glow followed by a shower always helped him feel prepared for anything. Paging through his closet Felix glances across his finer outfits before grabbing a simple set of secure clothing with a armored vest over the top. Felix frowns as he glances around for matching accessories. With a shrug and some careful thought he concentrates and alters the colors of the shirt and shoes to better accompany the vest. He quickly dons the outfit, double checking the magazine on his Elan before sliding it into its concealed holster. The physical world prepared, he moves to ponder the astral before leaving. After thanking the old hearth spirit he dismisses it, and a few seconds of concentration later he calls forth another of his old friends to watch over his home while he is away.

Walking down the stairs to the parking garage, Felix pauses once again to summon an Air spirit and task it with guarding him from accident before climbing into his Elektro and firing it up. The prospect of the hunt sent a thrill down his spine as he moved out into traffic heading to the location Jaxx had sent him.

13:02 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [JAXX>>>KLIKO]: I got you mojo and techno. Trying to find a rigger, but no luck. Do you want a third, if he is not a rigger? You have details for the meet?

13:10:30 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [KLIKO>>>JAXX]: "Depends, what you got? I got my bases covered, perhaps a Jack or Pretty boy/girl? Friend of mine is setting up the meet location, waiting for confirmation."

13:20:06 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Interstate #680, somewhere near Fairfield, CA

'Life sure feels good!', Kliko thinks .... Would be even better if Bubba stopped drooling on my leather seats... somebodies got to teach 'em some manners...

13:22:44 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Jamie's Oakland doss

Arriving home, Jamie clears leather as she pulls out her mag key. After glancing around the residence hallway to make sure no one's around, she approaches her door. Slotting the key, she opens the door gun first. Letting the door slide shut, she scans the main room, then sweeps through the bedroom and bathroom making sure no one's in the apartment. Locking the door, she kicks off her shoes. Heading for the pot of soykaf she made that morning, she gives it a sniff. Still good. She pours it into a cup and sets another pot to brew.

She settles into the papasan chain, with her gun and coffee in the usual place. Hopefully Jaxx will respond soon. Laying her deck on her lap, she jacks in.

Jamie janders over to Eurocar promotional site. There's supposed to be an new injector spec for the Westwind 2000 turbo. I'm sure they're hoping it will close the performance gap between the Westwind and the SAAB Dynamit. Jamie fiddles with the promotional site a bit, before deciding that she'll have to see one in action before she decides which will be better.

Jamie jacks out and logs onto her dumb terminal. She pulls up it's drawing app and text processor. Settling down, she starts working out how to upgrade her current Browse utility.

15:20:11 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Interstate 580, Oakland, CA

'A proper suit, that's what he really needs... yeah manners too, but lets start with a proper suit' "How about I buy you some fine clothing Bubba? Jaxx is getting us some replacements for a meet tonight, you want to make a good first impression right?

An hour later Kliko was becoming increasingly frustrated. They failed to match Troll-modified clothing at the Concord mall, not succeeding before they traveled all the way back the badlands between Bay Point and Pittsburg back at the Antioch shopping district. 'Fraggin Japanocorps fraggin drek policies.'

"I talks to Dusters earlier ... He says he is too busy with his new business... teaching kids karate at Duster's Dojo... Are you gonna find us a new jedi, Kliko?"

"Yeah, he's that kind of guy huh, teaching zerglings karate huh. Jaxx should have dropped the rep sheets of our new mojo-slinger in ym Pittsburg LTG. I don't think he's a Jedi, but at least he will stop others using the force against us, like they did in that one episode of Karl Kombat Mage last week."

16:07 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [KLIKO>>>JAXX]: "Tonight at the Martinez Thunderdome 2300 sharp. Have em ask for Bubba at the ticket windows. Can you drop their rep-sheets in my office LTG? Don't wanna risk Bubba picking up the wrong guys."

16:09 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [KLIKO>>>LUDI]: Meeting the potential clients tonight @2300 @Thunderdome

16:10 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [JAXX>>>KLIKO]: Will do good chummer.

16:10 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [JAXX>>>FELIX, JAIME]: Thunderdome in Martinez at 2300 tonight. Ask for Bubba at the ticket window.

16:15 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [JAXX>>>CORSAIR]: I have been calling you ALL day Coursair! Got some work for you. This team is for real, so be ready. The meet is at the Thunderdome in Martinez at 2300 tonight. Ask for Bubba at the ticket window.

16:12:35 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Jamie's Oakland doss

The text from Jaxx finally arrives. Where is the Martinez Thunderdome?

Jamie saves her design, then jacks into her deck. Jamie wanders over to the a couple of map sites to look up where the the Thunderdome is and it's BART connections. Next, she downloads screamsheets about it's decline. Following the chain a bit more, she pulls down promotional info on the recent events hosted at the Thunderdome. Jamie finds an isolated corner of the Matrix to work through the data. Hmmm, rough neighborhood. Looks like ganger style tonight.

Ok, camera's are next. Downloading a trial image recognition utility, Jamie scours the Matrix for pictures of the Thunderdome. Running them through the image parser, she starts laying it out camera locations and coverage angles. On the map, she works out a approach to the ticket office. Only one problem, there's camera on the ticket line. I hope they've handled that. Need a motorcycle helmet. Time to go shopping.

Jamie checks the clock on her deck. 16:52:31 I still have a couple of hours. Jacking out, Jamie sets her dumb terminal alarm and goes back to work on her design.

A few short hours later the alarm goes off. Jamie finishes up her current chain of thought. She reviews her design strategy and takes some notes.

Jamie takes a quick shower, then throws on a blank tank top and some cargo pants. Tucking her baton and pistol into the pants pocket, she ties on some combat boots. She uploads her custom map into her headware.

Looking over at her deck, Jamie debates. Deck, no deck. Ok, no deck, but I will take the dataline tap and the dumb terminal. Jamie strides out, locking the door behind her.

Jamie spends the next three hours wandering around the city. She lays several back trails and checks to be sure she isn't followed. She picks up a motorcycle helmet in a hot rod store and a couple of wiz hair additions.
Bastard
22:06:58 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Thunderdome, Martinez

Kliko had been here many times before. And though he preferred to keep bizz and his personal life separated, it wouldn't hurt to impress his new replacements either. The Thunderdome rose up majestically from its surroundings near the former Alhambra High School. Originally intended to become a major league stadium. Nowadays it was mainly used to stage various Orxploitation related events. Kliko didn't care tonight. He used to come here for the same primordial bass currently ringing around the Thunderdome's ferrocrete outer shell, but tonight would be strictly business... their fine clothing putting them even more out of line as opposed to the other meta humans walking about the ticket windows.

Skirting the Thunderdome's outer shell they walked all the way around the back of the dome until they reached the abandoned set of trailers and containers used to haul the main - and support acts audio equipment. Here they finally set themselves up in one of the empty containers, relying on a magnetic white electrical light, providing a cold industrial look as opposed to the brightly colored laser show extruding form the Domes interior. Kliko barely managed to scrounge some plastic garden furniture to decorate the container and have a place to sit down before he had to send Bubba back for the ticket windows to welcome their guests...

22:07:25 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Martinez BART station

Jamie steps off the train carrying her new helmet. A bus ride, and a moderate walk and she can see the club/warehouse.

23:45:05 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Thunderdome Parking Lot, Martinez

Corsair parks his Nomad in the far back of the troll bar's lot. Not being a man of much physical stature, he picks out a path to the ticket window that is straight enough to not look like he is avoiding contact with any of the hooligans in the lot, but will keep him far enough away from them that he can walk confidently to the window.

23:50:05 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Thunderdome Parking Lot, Martinez

Jamie fakes a cell phone call. She takes her time and looks around carefully. Seeing nothing untoward, she puts on her helmet.

Jamie walks her route keeping the cameras on her back. Once she gets in line, she takes off her helmet and slings it under her arm, keeping her back to the overhead camera as well as she can. The nice man at the ticket office pointed her over to a troll bouncer when she asked for Bubba.

Jamie janders over to the troll and smiles, "I'm Jamie. I'm supposed to meet Bubba."

With a soft sigh Felix returns his awareness to his physical body after watching the entrance to the Thunderdome in the astral and getting a feel for the mood and emotions of those present. 'I hope the worst of the mosh pits stay inside the dome there, that could get ugly for a little guy like me.' With a quick stretch and a pop from his shoulder, Felix climbs out of his car and locks it up. A quick request to his new (after sunset) air spirit to guard his vehicle from harm and he begins moving towards the entrance and the will call window.

The troll standing near the will call window, clearly uncomfortable in his suit, stood out to Felix and so it was no surprise when he was pointed to the troll when he asked about the tickets for Bubba.

"The name's Felix. I believe your compadres and I have some business to discuss?"

22:58:36 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Thunderdome side entrance, Martinez

The green skinned, blond hair weaved in two girly like tails -red lipstick fiercely overdone- female troll named Bertha slowly leaned over from her ticket booth eying Jamie carefully. "You lucky, meeting such a smart-looking man like Bubba. You hand him this scrap with my private LTG aye." ... 'Poor him, but hey, trolls need some love and affection too.... I guess...' Passing Jamie what looks like an old and crumpled ticket. "Anyway, he's right over there." Looking up she finds the giant alright, looking really out of place with a cheap suit. In fact he's rather hard to miss considering the main act fired up the crowd about a quarter of an hour ago, leaving the ticket booth area abandoned.

Bubba, clip-on tie hanging sloppy from a semi-open shirt, leads her around the Dome to the farthest corner exit where a small parking lot is filled with trucks, trailers and cargo containers spread in some or other logistical setup. Following the lumbering troll Jamie's paranoia kicks in overdrive. 'Its a setup, it must be!' She sees a faint light coming from inside one of the containers down at the parking lot, voices ringing inside. 'At least some people weren't masking their presence'. And at least the troll appeared relaxed, his back towards her. 'He seems trusting enough.'

Jamie takes ticket from Bretha, "Nothing like a sharp-dressed man, eh. Yeah, I'll pass it on."

After Bubba leads Jamie and Felix back to the container, she slips him the ticket. "The ticket troll asked me to pass this on." Jamie steps on in, smiling at his confusion.

23:05:42 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Thunderdome supply area, Martinez

The white light eradicated any prospect of coziness from the room. This was a place for doing biz and even the furniture, bare disposable plastic seats you could find in any decent gardening outlet store, only served to further accentuate that atmosphere. Behind the table sat a single green-skinned ork, touches of grey hair combed backwards across an increasingly balding head and dressed in fine clothing. 'Yet another cheap suit screaming I'm a professional, and will kick your ass if you mess me up.' Assensing the character in front of him Felix realizes that whoever did the surgery on this chummer, they did a pretty fraggin job stuffing all that headware in a skull like his. Felix could see two faint grey wires running down to the base of Kliko's neck and the other even further down his arm towards his wrist. At least his mood appeared relaxed... 'Afterall, all I have to do when the drek hits the fan, is pull the pin of this gas grenade taped underneath the table and beat some sense in them.' Yeah, Kliko was feeling just fine...

"Finally, there you are." Kliko addressed Jamie "Please sit down. I have a proposition for the both of you. I'm not sure what our mutual friend told you about us, but we're basically what you might call a professional heavy-hitter crew." Confirming the runners first (or worst) impression. "... we're a professional crew and want to extend our skillset somewhat. J's pay top-premium for crews able to handle a wider range of operation. Now we invite you to join our little happy few and earn your fair share of that premium... Now before we proceed on the details... I need to know, are you in or are you out?

You don't like what you see? You're free to walk out of here and pray you never see any one of us again...."

Jamie sits down in one of the chairs at the orc's direction. She sets her motorcycle helmet on the table looking in askance at the metal walls. She settles into the chair cautiously looking at the only exit at her back.

The ork lays out an introduction, if you can call it that. As a heavy-hitter crew, I assume they mean corporate targets

Jamie waits a beat, then responds, "I have a few questions." Without waiting for a response, Jamie rattles them off.

"Does this group have political connections? How heavy? Like, do you tangle with I Marines? Did you take care of the cameras outside? "

Her eyes roll up toward the ceiling, and back to the ork's face. "I think that's it."
Kliko
23:06:10 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Thunderdome supply area, Martinez

"Does this group have political connections?"... "We accept jobs through a number of contacts, one of them being our mutual friend, as long as the nuyens good... We don't like a job, we walk away. Also we're involved with kitty-kat bizz between the big nuyen, to keep an edge and get some training together."

"How heavy? Like, do you tangle with I Marines?" ... "If the pay is right, sure... better be some awesome nuyen though."

"Did you take care of the cameras outside?" ... "They've been out of order for as long as I remember... Anyone looking for you? You really think anyone crazy enough to start a fight in front of a stadium filled with trolls on steriods? This is a safe a place as any."

"Anyother questions? Whats it gonna be chummer, in or out?"
Bastard
23:08:50 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Thunderdome supply area, Martinez

"Me's in, Klikos!" Bubba says with great enthusiasm.
galenbd
23:08:23 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Thunderdome supply area, Martinez

The ork is straight forward describing his team. They're quite mercenary, with some limitations and they have a reasonable assessment of their abilities.

What Jamie actually says is, "I'm in. No one's looking for me as far as I know, but I just prefer to keep a low profile."
ntwi
23:08:25 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Thunderdome supply area, Martinez

Felix pauses for a few seconds as he parses Kliko's statement before replying "I'm in as well"
klinktastic
23:08:30 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Thunderdome supply area, Martinez

Seeing his new team gathering, Corsair heads in. "Hey guys. Thanks for the invite. I'm in for anything."

If you turn to see who has spoken, you'll see whom you presume is Corsair. A 6'1'' slender, slightly toned human male. He has close cropped black hair. He is wearing a Las Angeles Bolts (Urban Brawl Team) tee-shirt, camo cargo pants and a pair of combat boots. Slightly cocked to the side, rests an LA Bolts hat.
Kliko
23:08:40 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Thunderdome supply area, Martinez

A big grin erupts on the Ork mecernary at the other end of the tables, tusks protruding proudly. "Welcome in the crew chummers. Now there are a few things you ought to know and priorities we have to get straight. Whatever drek hits the proverbial fan, our first prio is to get out safe. You're no use to me when you're very brave, but also very dead... the minute you go down you become a fraggin liability, We'll scoop you up alright, but medical bills just ruin my day... We're all entrepeneurs in this bizz ... that means I expect you to cover eachothers asses and not clip your fellow co-worker to save ourselves a trip to the street doc, aye."

"We're all entrepeneurs in our partical field of expertise" using a lot of expensive words Kliko didn't really understand. 'but what the heck, it sounds interesting, so it must be interesting.' ... " and our clients expect good value for money. Meaning we act professional. We deal with a client, we make sure we dress appropiately, meaning some fine clothing, or cheap business suit at the least." looking in Corsair's direction. "We got a meet-scheduled with one of our J's for tomorrow evening. His name is not important, but whats important is that its your first tryout."

"Now our mutual friend send me you rep sheets so this is how we're gonna roll"... "We got a meet scheduled with a J for tomorrow evening. Like I said our first prio is team-security and this were you all come in. Felix, I'm by no means an expert, but you cover all magic related security stuff. Something comes up, you warn us through our comms-system and we get the frag out. Corsair, you're a drone rigger so you and your drones got overwatch. Anything happens and you warn my good friend Bubba here who acts as backup. Drek hits the fan, we make sure we all get the frag out of there in one piece."

"Our other crew-member used to be some kind of a spook. She'll come with me and pipe an audio/video feed through our comm-system. You got some wireless capability Jamie?"... "Because you're the one looking up any questions Ludmilla and me might have on the fly." ... "We have a pretty solid comm-system we're using for this kind of stuff and both Ludmilla and me will be jacked in during the meeting."

"Any questions?"

klinktastic
23:08:45 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Thunderdome supply area, Martinez

"Good to go Kliko. I'll provide arial recon with my drones. Additionally, I'll stay stationed in my jeep. That way I can make a quick pick up of you two if things go awry."
ntwi
23:08:50 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Thunderdome supply area, Martinez

"Is it team policy to always go to meets in professional clothing, or does that change depending on where we are meeting with Mr J? In an upscale meet it makes a lot of sense, other times it may draw more attention to the meet because we don't blend in." Felix pauses before continuing "Any details on where this meeting is tomorrow, or are we waiting for that information? I'm asking because if it's upscale enough to be warded, I'll need to be there in person to do much."
Kliko
23:09:00 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Thunderdome supply area, Martinez

"Is it team policy to always go to meets in professional clothing, or does that change depending on where we are meeting with Mr J?"...

"You're spot on Felix"...'Smart chummer' "I don't have a location yet. We'll check just before the meet and see whether it is... warded you say?" Its rather obvious to Felix that Kliko's knowledge of all things magical is limited to the Karl Kombat Mage hit trid series.

"Those drones are gonna be a real asset Corsair. We'll meet again tomorrow two hours before the meet takes place. You all be issued your comms-system and Ludmilla will take you through our protocol once more. Sure its going to be alot of prep for just a meet." "Putting emphasis on 'just' by making annotations in the air. "But there's a first time for everything and getting our routines down before the drek hits the fan works wonders in my experience."
galenbd
23:09:03 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Thunderdome supply area, Martinez
Jamie shrugs, "I don't yet have wireless interfaces set up. Haven't needed them. I usually just install a dataline tap and jack in from there. Might not work if we don't know where the meet will be. I could install a cell link before the meet, but I'm strapped for yen. Does your comm system interface with the cell network? From the Matrix, I can keep cell network secure. "
Kliko
23:09:18 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Thunderdome supply area, Martinez

"Comms are milspec, tactical encryption, decent electronic counter-measures, DNI-control, extra port, the works... no external interfaces to keep our exposure down see. I'm not fraggin about when I talk secure comms chummer. 'At least Kliko talks the talk as far as electronics are concerned....' "Tell me whatever you need and Ludmilla and me take care we get you something to work with."...

"In time you might even afford one of those wireless dataline taps to deck from outside corporate compounds." Obviously happy with his skill-display "Physics don't give a frag about extra-territoriality."
klinktastic
23:09:25 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Thunderdome supply area, Martinez

"Do we have a location for the meet? If we do, we should scout the meeting spot and I can deploy one of my survellance drones. Once we get a lay of the land, we can formulate our game plan for the meet."
Bastard
12:05:10 Thursday, 30 March 2062

Kliko answers Radek's call.

"Hello."
"Good afternoon, Mr. Kliko. Can you and your team make a meet around 4 o'clock today in Golden Gate Park?"
Mister Juan
04:23:11 Wednesday, 29 March 2062 - Somewhere just outside Sacramento

It was a stale grilled cheese in a stale dinner. But then again, there weren't that many places still opened at this time of day, and the kind that still had some lights on were in the same breed as this dinner. Someone had a radio on in the kitchen, the twang of country music barely audible over the hum of the neons. Alone in her booth, Ludi did her best to ignore the piece of bread scratching the roof of her mouth. She felt tired and annoyed. Mostly annoyed. She chewed mechanically, washing everything down with lukewarm coffee that was probably a few days old. She felt annoyed because the job wouldn't net her a single dime. She was annoyed because she had promised Lana to spend week home... a promised she had to break. When a friend high up in the government calls you up for a favor, you can't really turn it down. Favors, especially from politicians, were always good to have in store. But banking such favors meant being up at 3 in the morning, in the middle of nowhere, eating a cardboard like grilled cheese sandwich.

Leaving a few crumbled nuyens behind, and a half eaten chimera of breakfast and lunch, Ludi exited the dinner. Beside her car, the only thing she found in the parking lot was a puddle of water and a half of a flying newspaper. She got in, turned the music way up and went for a little drive. With the windows rolled down, the music blaring in the night and the smoke at the corner of her mouth, Ludi almost forgot about how annoyed she felt. Alone on the road, the wind whipping her hair around, she almost smiled. Almost.

After almost an hour of driving around, the young Russian woman finally found what she was looking for. Turning on the little dirt road, it only took a brief moment for the Sacramento river to jump out of the night. She parked and popped the trunk.

Union Representative Biff Pacey had duck tape over his mouth, flex cuffs around his wrists and ankles, and wild fear in his eyes. Blood had apparently poured from his nose, drying over the tape. He wiggled around like a worm knowing the hook was coming. The tip of Ludi's smoke flare orange as she pulled on it. Pacey had turned out to be a little heavier than she had expected... making Ludi resent having to take him out of the trunk. She would've much preferred to simply shoot him in the head, roll him up in a garbage bag and dump him in the river. Quick, clean, simple. But that wasn't the point of the whole night. Struggling as best as she could, she pulled the man out of the trunk and dropped him on the muddied ground. She also took out a chain and a block of cement, setting them down next to him... making more than sure he saw them. When he tried to roll away from her, Ludi knew the message had been sent.

Grabbing him by one foot, cigarette still in her mouth, she pulled him close to the riverbed. Ludi knelled to his level, took hold of the tape and ripped it in a single motion. Pacey screamed once in pain, and then in fear. All it took to shut him up was a punch in the gut; something Ludi was quite good at. She took the phone out of her pocket, thumbed the speed dial and held it to man's ear. When he heard the voice on the other end of the line, his lips began to tremble. He answered only in “Yes”, with a quivering voice, to a few questions. He swallowed a few times, simply nodding his head frenetically.

Then, he looked up at Ludi.

“She.... Wants to talk to you....”

Ludi brought the phone to her ear.

“Make sure our friend understands, and cut him loose.”

Ludi turned the phone off. She looked at Pacey. She looked at the way his adam's apple kept bobbing up and down. The air was thick with the smell of moss and urine.

“Do you understand, Mister Pacey.” she said, letting him hear her voice for the very first time.

He nodded. Ludi took a photo out of her pocket, unfolding it and holding it up to Pacey's eyes.

“You have two little ones, in Swiss boarding school. If you talk of this night to anyone, I will bring you their heads.

He nodded again, his eyes tearing up.

Ludi threw the picture at him, threw her smoke into the lake, and rolled him over. Wrapping one arm around the man's throat, she held him in a head lock for a few seconds, making sure enough he wouldn't wake up before tomorrow. Clearing him of his bonds, she pulled him out of the river's edge and into the forest. Hopefully, he'd wake up and find his way back home before some night critter decided it had the munchies.

Ludi's sleek sports car pulled away from the Sacramento river, music blaring, to disappear into the night. In about two hours, she'd be back to her new home, knowing all too well she would barely have time for a nap before Lana was up.
galenbd
23:09:30 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Thunderdome supply area, Martinez

Jamie considers Klicko's description. She responds carefully, "The comm I use should interface fine with what you're using. I can wire it into the deck so it can override the sim signal. I'll be able to listen just fine. I don't have a signal booster for it, but it has a reliable 2 km range. "

She glances back toward the door as she continues, "The cellular links will take 24 to 48 hours to install. That's too much time for what we're considering. I should be able to find a jack point close enough to the meet. I just need to know where it is as soon as you find out so I can start getting set up. I wouldn't want to be late to the party."
Kliko
23:09:40 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Thunderdome supply area, Martinez

"We'll get you one anyway... You may be comfortable jacking-in from a public place, doesn't mean I am. Best have you safely tucked inside a car when you go limp. You'all dismissed for now. I'll contact you as soon as I got the meet details."

12:05:16 Thursday, 30 March 2062

"4 o' clock is fine sir. I got the crew on standby. You happy to relocate the meet somewhere out of Nip-land?"
Bastard
12:05:16 Thursday, 30 March 2062

"The Park would be very convenient for me. Is there some other sort of establishment you prefer?"

Kliko
12:05:22 Thursday, 30 March 2062

"The park ain't a problem, parks location is. Our nip-friend" obviously referring to Saito's meta-policy "is. Lets not risk the hassle of imperial security when we can avoid it. How about the mt Diablo observatory museum as an alt location?"
Bastard
12:05:22 Thursday, 30 March 2062

"That seems like a good reason. However, I would prefer not to have to spend an hour driving up Mt. Diablo for fifteen minute meeting, just to spend another hour trying to navigate my way back down. How does the park entrance area sound, from Clayton? I believe there is a large picnic/barbecue area there."
Kliko
12:05:28 Thursday, 30 March 2062

"Copy that, Pine Hollow Road entrance, we'll be there."

12:10:47 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [KLIKO>>>JAMIE, FELIX, CORSAIR, BUBBA, LUDMILLA] >>>: "1400u, Clayton Club saloon."
klinktastic
12:11:02 Thursday, 30 March 2062 - Corsair's Apartment

Upon seeing the text message from Kliko, Corsair replies back to Kliko.

12:11:02 TEXT MESSAGE SENT [CORSAIR>>>KLIKO] >>>: "Roger, Clayton Club saloon @ 1400u."

Corsair begins gathering the drones he was working on and packaging them in his Gaz Willy's thinking to himself, been a while since I have a bad meet with a Johnson...these guys must have gotten burned at a recent meet. Pays to be careful, but they seem a little on edge. Definitely need to keep my guard up just in case.
galenbd
23:09:43 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Thunderdome supply area, Martinez
Jamie objects, "But it'll take..." She pauses in confusion. Gathering herself, she redirects, "I'll need a 5000 nuyen advance. A couple thousand for the transciever, another couple thousand to match encryption, a couple hundred for the deck parts. I'll need to give my guy something for the rush job."
Kliko
23:10:01 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Thunderdome supply area, Martinez

Scrathcing the back of his, re-aligning some of his thinning hair... "I meant somewhere in the near future" 'dumbass' "not our next job... we'll have to improvise for now. I'll order you a handset phone and cellular link for perhaps nuyen.gif 500 by matrix" 'Do I look like fraggin Santa?' "Its up to you to invest in some extended wireless capability.... I mean at the end of the day, we be the one going in there and puttin a tap in place, keeping you out of the heat of the action and in the comfort of one of our rides."
galenbd
23:10:01 Tuesday, 28 March 2062 - Thunderdome supply area, Martinez
Jamie responds, "So ka. If I can find a jackpoint nearby, I can monitor the conversation and feed data back to you. I'll start working on finding potential jackpoint locations across the city. When you get the actual meeting location, I'll narrow it down."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012