Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Run! Recruitment
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
Aria
Google Map Overlay: <<here>>

A fight for survival in a semi post-apocalyptic setting; inspired by films like the Hunger Games and Maze Runner and TV like The 100; a group of children and young adults will strive to stay alive long enough to find out why they are here and just what the hell is going on! Blame will no doubt fall on the corps, or technos, or dragons…just about anyone could be behind it, are you brave enough to pitch in and find out?

As part of my ongoing 2075/6 game world, I’m looking for players to take on the role of children dragged from their normal lives (as normal as things get in the SR universe anyway) and thrust into a strange and lethal environment by forces unknown. Initially I want this to be a short game, about three to four months real time, if it seems to be going really well I could extend this of course. It will be fairly freeform so people may well drop in and out and I will be deliberately vague about where everyone is so that there’s scope for that and for new people to pitch in whenever they want to.

The protagonists will be children between 12 and 21, from all walks of life, who wake up with no real idea of where they are or how they got here. The environment is hot and desolate, there’s no world spanning matrix to connect to and no sign of civilisation to appeal to for help. Terrain is similar to the Calfree State, a mix of mountains, forest and desert. The group is about 40-50 strong, about two thirds male, with roughly a bell curve in the age distribution, the majority being 15-16 years old.

It will be fairly RP heavy and I will dodge as many dice rolls as I can. You will have a fairly free rein to post IC events provided it doesn’t contradict what someone has already posted.

Character Gen:
Sum to 8, runner build

Race:
Metahumans and metahuman variants only, so no pixies, shifters, infected or AIs.

Attributes:
Minimum Willpower of 4 please (there are reasons!)

Qualities:
All positives are fine (apart from possibly Restricted Gear), I will have a veto on negative qualities that won’t affect the game in any way, eg. Day Jobs. SIN qualities are fine because it will be representative of how others in the group view you and what inevitable cliques you might end up in (or shit list you end up on!). Amnesia is a particularly prominent negative quality among the group but only level 1, I don’t have the brain capacity to deal with lvl 2!

Gear:
You’ll start with no equipment at all other than some flats, there will be a broken open crate of basic food rations and sterilisation tabs. The only gear you can carry with you are implants, gene mods and tattoo qi foci (Given the notes below I might be persuaded to allow other foci to be taken as tattoos). Bear in mind that you’ll need to justify where any mods came from, particularly for one of the younger children.

Magic:
Be warned, there will be a permanent background count of 2 at all times (possibly higher in really bad places), so that’s -2D to all actions aided by magic. That should be a hefty disadvantage so you’ll need to be smart about spells / powers and their use.

Matrix:
No gear so no matrix access. No wifi bonuses for installed gear. Implanted commlinks will be able to talk to each other and any TMs, any technos will be able to communicate amongst themselves freely within a certain range (no mesh to project the signal through). That’s not to say that you won’t encounter matrix tech, but certainly not to begin with.

Contacts:
Don’t worry about these for now, they will represent a pool of points that can be allocated during the game as and when needed.

Advancement / Rewards:
As this is part of my 2075 campaign any rewards can be used on any game, although as this one is a little different any cash rewards won’t be applied to this one and gear will be acquired through the game IC.

Character concepts can either be posted here or in the master OoC thread which will be used for all the OoC once the game kicks off. All players need an Obsidian Portal account (it’s free to get one!) and maintain their character there. Bonus karma is awarded for good background, character images etc as per the OoC outlines.
Digital Heroin
What better way to celebrate my triumphant return to come- the forums than to try something new and experimental, eh?

The first concept that came mind was a parkour adept/urban exploring street urchin. Very in tune with life interstitial city life, but has never once seen anything of nature outside of a park or that one night slept in the zoo. I'm torn between going full on athlete's way get anywhere style or more invisible, or whether to go Bat or Raven.
Beta
(Posted in the equivalent thread in ShadowGrid as Beta).

I think that I'm going to blend my babysitter idea with Rusty, the character that I almost played in Tangled Currents. An adept with Adept Spell: Shapechange, Dog as both mentor and favored form using shapechange. Grew up on the lower margins of the Sin-holding society she was a veteran baby-sitter (i.e. moderate social skills) at an early age since she had to help contribute to the family budget. Then her magic showed up last year -- she's been spending increased time on the streets in critter form as she totally freaks out about people trying to 'recruit' her for magical training (she believes it amounts to selling yourself into comfortable slavery).

Has astral perception and empathetic healing for certain. Still trying to decide if I invest in improved reflexes or not (if ever there was a game where one could possibly go without, this could be it?). I have this character almost fully put together except for figuring out the last of the negative qualities.

On the other hand, if we end up with a good quorum of adepts already, I also have something resembling a face mostly built.

Trivia notes:
- for an adept with resources E, the most sensible thing to buy normally would be a 2 point Qi focus .... which will be inactive pretty much the whole time. So worth buying, but possibly not worth putting the karma into at start.
- Much more interesting to play with the Shapechange spell now that Howling Shadows is out!
Raiderj
QUOTE (Betx @ Jun 7 2016, 10:29 PM) *
(Posted in the equivalent thread in ShadowGrid as Beta).

I think that I'm going to blend my babysitter idea with Rusty, the character that I almost played in Tangled Currents. An adept with Adept Spell: Shapechange, Dog as both mentor and favored form using shapechange. Grew up on the lower margins of the Sin-holding society she was a veteran baby-sitter (i.e. moderate social skills) at an early age since she had to help contribute to the family budget. Then her magic showed up last year -- she's been spending increased time on the streets in critter form as she totally freaks out about people trying to 'recruit' her for magical training (she believes it amounts to selling yourself into comfortable slavery).

Has astral perception and empathetic healing for certain. Still trying to decide if I invest in improved reflexes or not (if ever there was a game where one could possibly go without, this could be it?). I have this character almost fully put together except for figuring out the last of the negative qualities.

On the other hand, if we end up with a good quorum of adepts already, I also have something resembling a face mostly built.

Trivia notes:
- for an adept with resources E, the most sensible thing to buy normally would be a 2 point Qi focus .... which will be inactive pretty much the whole time. So worth buying, but possibly not worth putting the karma into at start.
- Much more interesting to play with the Shapechange spell now that Howling Shadows is out!

You can buy Qi Foci at 6000? Im making an update.
adamu
I just want to say - for no constructive reason whatsoever - how very overjoyed I am this game will be on this site...the other board is driving me CRAZY!

I have so very much I want to do with the campaign right now and so very very very little time - I sit down with a precious fifteen minutes and I can spend literally half of that waiting for pages to load on that other site.

The more we can move here the better!

(pointles rant over)
Raiderj
QUOTE (adamu @ Jun 7 2016, 11:12 PM) *
I just want to say - for no constructive reason whatsoever - how very overjoyed I am this game will be on this site...the other board is driving me CRAZY!

I have so very much I want to do with the campaign right now and so very very very little time - I sit down with a precious fifteen minutes and I can spend literally half of that waiting for pages to load on that other site.

(pointles rant over)

Aaaamen. Minus 2 Kamra for Spirit Claw Foci.

On his Foci: He was given it when he started his “tutored lessons” as an induction gift. He was favored for his potential and hard work by the people in charge of the program and had it given to help him excel in spiritual combat. He wears it like a badge of pride. It is the Renraku Logo.
Beta
QUOTE (adamu @ Jun 8 2016, 12:12 AM) *

(pointles rant over)

Have you asked/suggested/nudged people to agree to move their threads over? Mercy and I made the move for Preston and I'm very glad we did.
Aria
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Jun 7 2016, 09:48 PM) *
What better way to celebrate my triumphant return to come- the forums than to try something new and experimental, eh?

The first concept that came mind was a parkour adept/urban exploring street urchin. Very in tune with life interstitial city life, but has never once seen anything of nature outside of a park or that one night slept in the zoo. I'm torn between going full on athlete's way get anywhere style or more invisible, or whether to go Bat or Raven.

Welcome back!

Don't forget background count (looking at you Raider, I think some of your powers are going to be wiped out!) min 2 throughout the game. I'm inclined to take the harsh approach (rather than missions FAQ) in that anything that is aided by magic takes a D penalty...yes, that's harsh indeed but other than wanting to not make this 'magicrun' there's an in-game reason too biggrin.gif
Raiderj
QUOTE (Aria @ Jun 8 2016, 01:27 PM) *
Welcome back!

Don't forget background count (looking at you Raider, I think some of your powers are going to be wiped out!) min 2 throughout the game. I'm inclined to take the harsh approach (rather than missions FAQ) in that anything that is aided by magic takes a D penalty...yes, that's harsh indeed but other than wanting to not make this 'magicrun' there's an in-game reason too biggrin.gif

I thought Background Count only affected Skill Rolls?
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (Aria @ Jun 8 2016, 01:27 PM) *
Welcome back!

I was operating under the impression that background count would play a bit of havoc, aye. My understanding has been (and I'm rusty, I admit that) that background count has two primary effects for an Adept. The first is Active powers suffer a straight up loss of potency, reflected in their levels being lowered. The second would be a dice penalty for a skill liked to something with a Passive power.

Alternate idea was a test subject kid, something akin to the Bag of Organs lifestyle option. They would have escaped from a clone-organ facility fairly recently, only to run afoul of whatever brings the kids to the desert. I like the idea of a fairly 'blank' character who is far less savvy, and but guarded.
Aria
QUOTE (Raiderj @ Jun 8 2016, 02:45 PM) *
I thought Background Count only affected Skill Rolls?

From Street Grimoire:

A background count impose a negative dice pool penalty
equal to its rating for all tests linked in any way to magic (such
as spellcasting, summoning, and skill tests that use active adept
powers such as Killing Hands or Improved Sense).

My reading of it is that the all is key here, the mention of skills is caveated by 'such as' ...note it is my understanding that the missions FAQ is more lenient but for this particular game everything gets gimped! Focused Concentration adept power can avoid penalties of course...
Raiderj
Well im keeping my powers but that foci is gone.
Beta
As I was trying to settle on what to play, I took a look at what other people have come forward with, and I thought some others might be interested in seeing the summary.

So far three people have characters up on Obsidian Portal (here, look for the ones with "R!" in front of the names), Adamu and I have posted about taking part on both the ShadowGrid (SG) and Dumpshock (DS) threads, Digital Heroin has posted on the Dumpshock thread, and Gilga has posted on the Shadowgrid thread. Those who haven't posted on OP yet are obviously best considered tentative, as we may or may not actually get ourselves together in time.

RaiderJ -- Vincent (alternate world young Vexboy) -- (gunslinger?) adept, follows DragonSlayer. Up on OP

Mercy -- Maya -- suvivalist, linguist, archeologist in training. Up on OP

IrnOrchid -- Lindsey -- black magic conjurer with Chaos mentor. Up on OP

Adamu (SG, DS) -- young as you'll allow (12?), child of a rich, old money family with Victorian values. Been raised to inherit power and use it responsibly. As such has had a lot of rigorous education and training to that end. Also some high-end, very civilian ware - mental enhancers or stuff to keep you alive in car crashes, stuff rich people would give their kids.

Digital Heroin (DS) -- Kasper Ellis -- parkour adept/urban exploring street urchin (also developing a 2nd character, 'blank')

Gilga (SG) -- -- Dana -- 'Prototype transhuman' Mysad with all the fixings

Betx (SG, DS) -- Addie -- face-like under-confident over-achiever, I think.
Digital Heroin
Kasper Ellis, my Aurora Warrens born street kid is all but done. I am just roughing out some details. He's been developed as an anarchistic daredevil with a head for mischief. Totally about getting into trouble, then talking or running his way out of it.

That said, I will be developing a second kid, simply known as `Blank.` He is going to be... interesting.
Beta
Updated post 13 with character updates. It does indeed look like most people are taking that background count as a challenge to be overcome wink.gif So I'll give Rusty a skip, and will be going with my other character, tentatively named Addie. I have tomorrow off, and hope to have time to finish writing up a character description and translating the Chummer build to OP.

ETA: Qui k question -- it it isn't a spoiler, can you give us a time of year for before they vanish? Working on an IC background piece that I'd like to tie into the school year. You know how six months can be forever at that age!
Aria
QUOTE (Betx @ Jun 9 2016, 10:19 PM) *
Updated post 13 with character updates. It does indeed look like most people are taking that background count as a challenge to be overcome wink.gif So I'll give Rusty a skip, and will be going with my other character, tentatively named Addie. I have tomorrow off, and hope to have time to finish writing up a character description and translating the Chummer build to OP.

ETA: Qui k question -- it it isn't a spoiler, can you give us a time of year for before they vanish? Working on an IC background piece that I'd like to tie into the school year. You know how six months can be forever at that age!

Last actual memory is early summer...fits with the hot environment you find yourself in...school wasn't quite finished for the year so you appear to be missing your finals eek.gif
Aria
QUOTE (Betx @ Jun 8 2016, 09:47 PM) *
As I was trying to settle on what to play, I took a look at what other people have come forward with, and I thought some others might be interested in seeing the summary.

So far three people have characters up on Obsidian Portal (here, look for the ones with "R!" in front of the names), Adamu and I have posted about taking part on both the ShadowGrid (SG) and Dumpshock (DS) threads, Digital Heroin has posted on the Dumpshock thread, and Gilga has posted on the Shadowgrid thread. Those who haven't posted on OP yet are obviously best considered tentative, as we may or may not actually get ourselves together in time.

RaiderJ -- Vincent (alternate world young Vexboy) -- (gunslinger?) adept, follows DragonSlayer. Up on OP

Mercy -- Maya -- suvivalist, linguist, archeologist in training. Up on OP

IrnOrchid -- Lindsey -- black magic conjurer with Chaos mentor. Up on OP

Adamu (SG, DS) -- young as you'll allow (12?), child of a rich, old money family with Victorian values. Been raised to inherit power and use it responsibly. As such has had a lot of rigorous education and training to that end. Also some high-end, very civilian ware - mental enhancers or stuff to keep you alive in car crashes, stuff rich people would give their kids.

Digital Heroin (DS) -- Kasper Ellis -- parkour adept/urban exploring street urchin (also developing a 2nd character, 'blank')

Gilga (SG) -- -- Dana -- 'Prototype transhuman' Mysad with all the fixings

Betx (SG, DS) -- Addie -- face-like under-confident over-achiever, I think.

Thanks for the summary!!! Don't worry about being late to the party though, this one is deliberately designed with a vague pool of NPC/PCs so that people can come and go as they like. I'm also happy (at the moment) for people to have multiple characters (as long as the whole thing doesn't become a combat resolution nightmare down the line!)
Digital Heroin
So Scrap is still in! (She's not going to be a combat-heavy type, unlike DR064-0035111)
Aria
Initial IC is up: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=41614 post away...I leave to you to decide if you are one of the quartet Aria saw ;D

You can post queries here for a bit and then once the IC gets going we can move back to the master OoC thread for that kind of thing. We will probably run a 'combat turn' thing on OP like I am trialling with CoF
Aria
Raider, can you remove the quote please from your IC? Thanks!
Raiderj
QUOTE (Aria @ Jun 11 2016, 10:38 PM) *
Raider, can you remove the quote please from your IC? Thanks!

As long as I can quote this one. wink.gif
Beta
Finally got character intro typed up. (edit) character sheet is done ... in chummer. Translating to OP will have to be tomorrow.

One thing to check. Looking at the (possibly fatal) 'code of honour: (don't kill or let other kill) those weaker than herself' Is this OK?

========================================
[ Spoiler ]
Beta
I've finally got Addie up on Obsidian Portal.
Aria
Thought this might help picture the scene: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Califor...1!1e1?hl=en
Beta
Very helpful -- thanks!
Mercy
Yikes. That is pretty forbidding terrain, alright. I had something else in my mind, so thanks for the visual. From this picture, it would appear that there is no real tree line. Also, I would expect that the night will be quite cold, especially if there is any sort of breeze. Wow. What has happened to us?
irn0rchid
I adjusted my post very slightly to account for the terrain example.
Beta
Aria: was Addie able to get a date and time from her internal commlink? (that she checked was probably over hidden in the verbiage of her dazedly trying to figure out what is going on. I'll get on to more focused action soon, but I figured not everyone would be able to adjust quickly)
Aria
@Raider: Aria is perhaps the youngest looking person here...no more than 10... feel free to adjust your IC or leave it as it is smile.gif
Beta
Fixed up Addie's character sheet -- I'd missed putting her martial arts in there previously, and hadn't been consistent about showing karma expenditures. Should all make more sense now. Oh, also ticked the 'PC tag' box, so should also be easier to find smile.gif
adamu
@Aria - history now up, along with some tiny stat tweaks for fix a mistake i found.

With that all finally sorted, will try to get an initial post up soon.
Digital Heroin
Okay. I have both Scrap and DR64-0035111's sheets posted now on OP. I am likely going to lead in with Scrap. DR is going to be an odd duck to write for, as he is essentially down to base programming. He'll either be a puppydog, or a terror, depending on how things go early.
Aria
Quick note to our transhumans out there - Wanted is not an acceptable negative quality to take along with PT...can you confirm which negatives you've taken please?

Lots of Cha 1 going on in your stats... will find ways to make you all pay for those ork.gif

Hope to get some more IC up soon!
Mercy
I was trying for something a bit different with my CHA 1, but am thinking I should change that a bit. Is it still possible or are we locked in at this point? Unless the answer is no, I have modified the character by reducing the Edge back to 3, adding two points to CHA, removing the Agile Defender quality, and reducing Unarmed Combat to 4 to make the karma come out right. Maya's face is still horribly scarred, but she uses her knowledge to help her get others to listen.
Beta
You know, I think a lot of teenagers do have low charisma. Some are charmers, but enough are anxious, under-confident, not sure of who they are, too self-absorbed, too focused on their ‘thing’ to have much time for people, etc. (I’m a parent, my son is just finishing high school, so I’ve seen a lot of teenagers over the last while … and btw why I decided to play a very social female character for this one, just to give me more mental space from my own nerdy kid)

I admit that I deliberately had ‘face-ish’* Addie go off on her own for a bit, to allow the low-charisma, loners, and misfits time to do their thing, and self-filter out from the other groups a bit.

Planning on having her coming back shortly, seeing how the groupings are forming, then doing a sweep to gather up as many of those not in in groups as she can (PC and NPC). I felt that having her trying to organize right off the bat would:
a) Make too complicated a political situation while we are all just getting started, and
b) Would have kind of thrown other player characters a choice to join her or not, before they’d had a chance to establish their characters.

But I do hope that in due course she can team up with various experts and toughs, in a fairly classic SR team role division (she talks while you lend credibility with your presence and competence, you all handle other things while she rolls leadership as a teamwork test). And eventually maybe that falls apart as things begin to get really dire and it degenerates to every kid for themselves?

Giving everyone some space to get established makes for a chance at some nice ‘can we come together as an effective group?’ type stuff too, rather than the usual SR ‘OK, your fixer has pulled together a team, now work together.’

Not to discourage anyone else from being good at the social stuff, or saying that everyone must join with her or make her leader or anything like that – rather that no character can be good at everything, so hopefully we can cover each other’s weaknesses, while giving all of the characters plenty of scope to do their own ‘thing(s)’.

* (btw, when I say face-ish, I’m going for kid who is good with people, but doesn’t really realize it yet. Media inspirations include Rory from Gilmore Girls, Xander from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and characters from many 80s teenage/coming of age movies (Breakfast Club, Adventures in Babysitting, Risky Business, etc.))

Since I started writing this, Mercy has modified Maya to bring her charisma up, and I do feel that Maddie feels like she has more self-confidence and leadership potential than that charisma of 1 implied, so I do like that change. Sometimes it is hard to know your characters until you start playing them!
Aria
QUOTE (Mercy @ Jun 14 2016, 01:34 PM) *
I was trying for something a bit different with my CHA 1, but am thinking I should change that a bit. Is it still possible or are we locked in at this point? Unless the answer is no, I have modified the character by reducing the Edge back to 3, adding two points to CHA, removing the Agile Defender quality, and reducing Unarmed Combat to 4 to make the karma come out right. Maya's face is still horribly scarred, but she uses her knowledge to help her get others to listen.

No problem with any of that!
Beta
Ack, anyone remember the mechanics of the phobia negative quality? (I can look it up at home tonight, but if anyone can help me out on that I'll try to respond earlier.) I think a mild phobia is something like -3 on all actions in the presence of the cause of fear, but I can't remember if there is a composure test in there as well, or if I have the numbers off a bit?

(and now I know Aria does read the character sheets!)
irn0rchid
Mild Phobia is -1 to all actions while in the presence of the source. Moderate is -3 plus a Composure test or want to flee.
Beta
QUOTE (irn0rchid @ Jun 14 2016, 06:14 PM) *
Mild Phobia is -1 to all actions while in the presence of the source. Moderate is -3 plus a Composure test or want to flee.

Thanks! And fortunately I just went with mild .... figured snakes were a reasonable phobia for this game, but didn't want it to be crippling.
Beta
Aria: I'm making some assumptions here:
- that it is actually a snake, and not another kid playing a joke on her
- that Addie's roll of 16 ( initiative: 8+2d6 16 ), will beat the snake's initiative (4+2d6 according to Howling Shadows, assuming it is a normal snake) -- meaning she's rolling to attack rather than to defend.
- that no other modifiers apply other than the -1 from her phobia. (and that her Jujitsu only applies to fighting 'snakes', not actual snakes)

If any of those are wrong, feel free to ask me to roll things back.

With the combination of phobia and boosted reflexes I just felt there was no way she was dealing with this calmly and rationally. Given which, the most interesting thing was clearly that she accidentally jumps right at the snake -- so hopefully the dice are kind (or the med kit has snake bite anti-venom!) If not, well I did have other character concepts.... smile.gif

Unarmed combat 5 + agility 4 - 1 (phobia) = 8d6 Addie grabs the snake: 8d6t5 2
use edge to re-roll the failing dice: Addie grabs the snake -edge re-roll: 6d6t5 2
For a total of 4 successes

She is trying to grapple (I think? It that a move? Maybe it is a subduing attack?) the snake. I've not used the unarmed rules much, I did read up on clinch and throw as her martial arts moves, but will have to look at the rules tonight to sort out the rest of things -- her first priority is keeping it from attacking her (make it roll to escape on its action), if there is an option to add a bit of damage in as well then grand, but that is not her priority right now.

================

Unrelated: writing a youngish teenager, I find myself using a lot of underlining, bolding, and italics, not to mention 'occasional' hyperbole and melodrama. If it gets annoying to anyone, please let me know and I'll stop it.
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (Aria @ Jun 14 2016, 12:14 PM) *
Quick note to our transhumans out there - Wanted is not an acceptable negative quality to take along with PT...can you confirm which negatives you've taken please?

Lots of Cha 1 going on in your stats... will find ways to make you all pay for those ork.gif

Hope to get some more IC up soon!

I will amend this when I get home, but DR064-0035111 (I love typing that, even though he will likely never tell anyone his real 'name') has Insomnia as his Transhuman flaw. Something about being experimented on for the first eleven years of his accelerated life messed with his sleep cycles. Also, I did a bit of adjustment to his knowledge skills before posting last night. They reflect both his time absorbing knowledge from his creator, and some of the sensibilities of his Russian Intel/Vory trainers/handlers.

Edit: You'll rarely see me ever design a character with a 1 in any stat. Not unless it suits a very specific aesthetic. I prefer rounded and flavorful, personally, to dump stats.

Also... I will be posting in a few hours, when I am off work. Fun fact for everyone: DR was not programmed to be a nice person, but there is already someone among the kids his code will see him protect.
adamu
@Aria , could you give us some details on what was in the tool crate and how much of it Blank took? Or just, was it sort of like did he just end up helping himself to first pick, or did he pillage it to the point where it will endanger others. This will determine if Raf can let the matter drop or will have to pursue it. Thanks!
Beta
Did a rules review last night, and it looks like the move Addie is going for is subduing combat. (Some spots in Run & Gun it talks about 'grapple' but that does not seem to be a fifth edition move).

Also, looking back you had indicated that you didn't want to get too dice-y early on, but I felt odd just narrating success (I did consider just narrating mixed results, with the snake biting her, her taking around five points of damage, but ultimately killing the snake. Made for a pretty good story in my head, but I was also a little hesitant about just narrating myself into that much damage). If you'd rather I just write something up, I will do so.
Aria
QUOTE (Betx @ Jun 15 2016, 01:16 PM) *
Did a rules review last night, and it looks like the move Addie is going for is subduing combat. (Some spots in Run & Gun it talks about 'grapple' but that does not seem to be a fifth edition move).

Also, looking back you had indicated that you didn't want to get too dice-y early on, but I felt odd just narrating success (I did consider just narrating mixed results, with the snake biting her, her taking around five points of damage, but ultimately killing the snake. Made for a pretty good story in my head, but I was also a little hesitant about just narrating myself into that much damage). If you'd rather I just write something up, I will do so.

It's evening and sun is going down so snake is pretty dopey! You have it by the head so it can't bite you...now what is up to you!
Aria
QUOTE (adamu @ Jun 15 2016, 06:50 AM) *
@Aria , could you give us some details on what was in the tool crate and how much of it Blank took? Or just, was it sort of like did he just end up helping himself to first pick, or did he pillage it to the point where it will endanger others. This will determine if Raf can let the matter drop or will have to pursue it. Thanks!

Reading his IC I wasn't sure myself how much he intends to nab, assume he took the knives and the claw hammer, apart from the ones Maya found subsequently, it's not a big tool crate, there are nails and some bits and pieces...escalating at this point might not be wise!
Aria
QUOTE (Betx @ Jun 13 2016, 04:04 PM) *
Aria: was Addie able to get a date and time from her internal commlink? (that she checked was probably over hidden in the verbiage of her dazedly trying to figure out what is going on. I'll get on to more focused action soon, but I figured not everyone would be able to adjust quickly)

Nope, no grid to connect to and it was powered down and details erased...
Aria
QUOTE (Mercy @ Jun 13 2016, 02:51 PM) *
Yikes. That is pretty forbidding terrain, alright. I had something else in my mind, so thanks for the visual. From this picture, it would appear that there is no real tree line. Also, I would expect that the night will be quite cold, especially if there is any sort of breeze. Wow. What has happened to us?

It's hotter than it should be for the real world equivalent locale!
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (Aria @ Jun 15 2016, 04:47 PM) *
Reading his IC I wasn't sure myself how much he intends to nab, assume he took the knives and the claw hammer, apart from the ones Maya found subsequently, it's not a big tool crate, there are nails and some bits and pieces...escalating at this point might not be wise!

Given it was largely a tool crate, and Blank has zero experience with such things as building, he will leave most of it behind. Knives and the claw hammer make sense, as he would not want to leave someone armed in his wake. It's not that he is greedy, he just doesn't like being stabbed. smile.gif
Beta
1) Mechanics from my IC post:

Given that she has a grip on the snake so gets superior position advantage as I understand it, I figured there was not much chance of her missing with a touch attack, so went ahead and assumed she'd succeed there. Electrical Discharge bio-weapon holds 24 'charges' and can release up to 8 of them at once, with a DV = # of charges used, AP -4 (re-charges at a rate of 1 charge per 15 minutes, so she's probably at 17 when she makes it back to camp). And from there I figured she should be good to finish it off with subdual combat. All the rolling around was just colour. (For that matter, so is the entire middle section, really.)

At the end, leadership 5+charisma 6 = 11 dice. And I'm hoping I can claim a bonus die for coming in with a dead rattlesnake, even if it isn't all that big? To, umm, be all leader-y and stuff (don't have the CRB with me, not sure what the official list of leadership actions are, but it sounds like it should cover this sort of thing. I know one option gets people to listen for a combat turn or so, but maybe in a non-combat situation like that she can influence them for a little bit longer?).

. Leaderiness: 12d6t5 6

. (Yes, dice building up before they let her down later, good dramatic flow, RNG!)

2) Table-talk:
Mercy: not to take away from your group -- clearly Maya has the best survival skills and organization, and I want to bring Addie to work with her if I can, but at this point Addie doesn't even realize what Maya has going, and she is just looking around at the kids who haven't gotten themselves organized in some fashion yet.

Everyone: if your characters would either see Addie's fight with the snake, or her breakdown/clean-up afterwards, we can always splice it in. And if any of them want the medicine (because they have skills, or because they just want it), do please go for it smile.gif Likewise comments about Addie's suggested sleeping arrangements are welcome. Yes she'll be bossy at times, doesn't mean you have to take it!

3) Can I seed the crowd?
On a different note: can we have a troll girl in the group somewhere? One of the other characters I was thinking about was Dorothy (aka Dot), a 'spindly' young troll (adolescent growth spurts are nasty when you need to grow to troll height). 'Only' 5-6 body and strength. Bit of a daydreamer ('teacher, what do you do when a troll in your class isn't paying attention?' 'Nothing at all, she's bigger and stronger than any of us teachers, and she's a troll, it isn't like an education is really going to matter for her.'). If she could be seeded in there, in the background, that would be awesome, in case Addie's efforts to be all heroic get her killed off. I can narrate her in -- but my current post is a wall of text already, so next post, unless someone else references her first.

Even if never used -- ever notice that orcs and trolls (and to a lesser degree dwarves) are almost always guys in SR? They are usually used, story-wise, to be tough and threatening, so that kind of makes sense, but I have to figure there are awesome orc and troll women with an interesting take on life in the 6th world)
irn0rchid
Command: The target resists with a Leadership + Willpower [Mental] test (with Social Modifiers, p. 140). For every net hit you get, the target accepts you as their leader for 1 Combat Turn. This doesn’t work if you’ve failed on this target before.

Other options are to boost Teamwork Tests or Init.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012