Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Character Drawings.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
Kerris
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
The only thing with my work is that it is all in pencil (which doesn't reproduce very well). With my stiff shaky hands inking is no longer an option.

Have you tried any other, darker possibilities? Like conte crayon, charcoal (messy), or even a darker, softer-leaded pencil? Hit up an art supply store (or even walmart) and see if you can't find a 6B pencil. That should reproduce a little better.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Kerris)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Dec 29 2006, 03:47 PM)
The only thing with my work is that it is all in pencil (which doesn't reproduce very well).  With my stiff shaky hands inking is no longer an option.

Have you tried any other, darker possibilities? Like conte crayon, charcoal (messy), or even a darker, softer-leaded pencil? Hit up an art supply store (or even walmart) and see if you can't find a 6B pencil. That should reproduce a little better.

...I actually have a graded set from 6F to 8B.

I have a number of older character drawings (mostly AD&D & some early SR) I did in which used a wide variety of graphite hardnesses. A couple almost approach B&W photo quality. Once I find the right drivers for the scanner I picked up I will try to post these.

I have used charcoal in the past & yes, very messy unless you use a lot of fixer spray (can offset onto the platen of the scanner).

I also use varying grades of paper depending on the effect I want. For the most photo like quality, a hard smooth bristol. For a more "artsy" look I have used various hot & cold pressed watercolour blocks.

I have used Coloured Pencil as well with varying degrees of success (my preferred colour medium is still oils but that is very messy & very time consuming).

For a series of works i did one time while in college (based on an SF story I am working on), I developed a variation on Sumi where I powder a charcoal stick and apply it with a brush on various types of rice papers. The style was to mimic a technique one of the races in the story used. Unfortunately these works are very "fragile" and can be even damaged by application of conventional spray fixes (too strong of a propellant which actually can dislodge the charcoal from the paper.) I had to come up with a "long range" misting method which pretty much used up an entire can of fixer per drawing (very expensive). These definitely do not scan well for the tones are very subtle. beret.gif
Squinky

Heres another one before I run off and celebrate the new year.

Kid Kaide's Kaide

It's been a good year for me artistically and other ways. Hope all is well with all you guys, happy new year all.
Squinky
RaventheWingedWarrior's Character
Ladynero
QUOTE (Squinky @ Dec 30 2006, 11:22 PM)
Thanks Guys!

Next one:

LadyNero's Marta

Lady Nero's Marta Colored

*cackles* That is *so* Sarge..... off for a night on the twon if she only has two guns with her.

Beautiful as always!

And Kyote kid, ya wan' Sarge wit' ya, we need ta talk price...

Squinky
Awesome!

Heres your other character:

Lady Nero's Pixie

Hope you like.
Ladynero
QUOTE (Squinky)
Awesome!

Lady Nero's Pixie

Hope you like.

That's Pixie! That's *so* Pixie!!!!

*glomps* She's perfect! Just like Sarge!
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Squinky)
Awesome!

Lady Nero's Pixie

Hope you like.

...very pretty.

Love the "innocent schoolgirl" look.
lorechaser
Something I did earlier today which was amusing.

Go to page 1. Read the first post, where Squinky lists all the drawings.

Click on them, one after another, and just notice how much it's improved. The early ones are pretty good, to be sure, but you can see a definate progression over the timeline.

Very cool.

Keep it up Squink!
Kyoto Kid
...Squinky,

I'll get the descriptions for the Grande Family Portrait to you either tonight or tomorrow.

No huge rush, I really liked the way the A-Team turned out so if you need to take time, maybe do up a sketch, that's cool.

Would have posted it earlier but kinda got caught up retooling (and expanding) a scenario over the last few days that I'll be running my players through.
knasser
QUOTE (Squinky @ Jan 2 2007, 03:48 AM)
Awesome!

Lady Nero's Pixie

Hope you like.

Wow! That's you're best one yet. Quite considerably. I think partly just because you've toned down the "bulging eye" style (I really don't mean that as rudely as it sounds, I'm jsut being descriptive) but also just because it's a really well conceived and depicted character. Lots of personality shining through her posture and her expression.

Very nice. And I agree with Lorechaser. I'm not denigrating your early work, but you can see a definite improvement as you go on. When you get through your current list, and assuming I'm allowed to go round again, I'm going to ask for another one. smile.gif
Squinky
Thanks a ton guys! It means a lot to hear that I am improving, and I appreciate all the critiques.

Kyoto, whenever on the family portrait thing, cause it may take me a good while to get to it, heh.

And I'm totally cool with people resigning up for another. I fear the day when I have no more art to do, heh.
SuperFly
When you get a chance, don't forget those alternates for Anne-Marie and the A-Team, eh? wink.gif
Squinky
Crap! I had forgotten! Sorry man, I'll get right on it.

Anyways heres:

Fortune's Flintlock

I forgot about the small tail in his hair, it could conceivably be back there still. Hope its all cool.
2bit
I like that guy.
Fortune
Dude! He rocks! Thanks a bunch. smile.gif

Oh, and no worries about the hair.
2bit
Squinky, you really need to work on your eyes. Your bodies look fine, your gear and clothes are really good. The eyes are holding you back. You draw these forward facing, sharp ended ovals no matter what angle the head is at.
ShadowDragon8685
Hmmmm... Got another challenge for you, Squinkerz. smile.gif

I'd like to see you draw an "action scene". I'll give you something classic.

I'd like to see your interpretation of the Lobby scene from The Matrix, using Skate. You should be familar with her by now. smile.gif

Just, here's one thing I'd like to see you try. So far, you've been drawing a more-or-less Shadowrun 3, pre-SR3 "Chunky Monkey" kind of style, especially for equipment. (That SMG looked like an 40mm grenade launcher, really.)

I wonder what you can do as far as making things sleeker and sexier? Of course, you don't have to, but I'd really like to see you give it an honest go. (And I meant that to include the characters, too. smile.gif )

I think you're good enough to do it, and I'd like to see something other than the chunky-monkey Pre-SR4 style.
SuperFly
Damn, that Flintlock guy kicks hoop. Nice work!
Squinky
QUOTE (2bit)
Squinky, you really need to work on your eyes. Your bodies look fine, your gear and clothes are really good. The eyes are holding you back. You draw these forward facing, sharp ended ovals no matter what angle the head is at.

And ShadowDragonLockercombination, I like the idea of your challenge, it will hopefully turn out awesome.

Thanks for the feedback all!

Heh, weirdly enough my next areas of research and possible improvement were going to be clothing first (making more realistic folds) and then my hands. I hadn't noticed the eye thing before, and honestly I don't know if I can really say I fully can see the problem at this point. But I understand how much eyes can affect the over all look so I will look in to it for sure.

Thanks a ton for the constructive criticism man.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

I wonder what you can do as far as making things sleeker and sexier? Of course, you don't have to, but I'd really like to see you give it an honest go. (And I meant that to include the characters, too. smile.gif )

I think you're good enough to do it...

...hmm a sleeker & sexier take on my Leela (...make that sweeter for her) or Violet?

That would be intriguing...
Squinky
Penta's Character
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Squinky)
Penta's Character

That's pretty good. Is he supposed to look like he has a non-obvious Cyberskull (whether or not he has one is irrelevent; is he supposed to or not?)

Because he kinda does, got a bit of a blocky kind of Mel Gibson going. Not bad, just blocky. smile.gif
Squinky
Nope. I don't really think it's my best work. But I figured I'd throw it up there and see if it could be a starting point to a better one if Penta disliked it.
Penta
Mmm. It's good, but Shadowdragon is right; He looks like he has a non-obvious cyberskull, while he doesn't.

For a B/W image, this is very good.
Kyoto Kid
...I don't know. I've seen dudes like him in RL.
will_rj
I´ve seen people like this before. Actually, he reminds me of a friend of mine...

... who, as far as i can tell, does NOT have a cyberkull.
ShadowDragon8685
It's not a bad look, not bad at all.

He just screams "low-profile Muscle" to me, the kind of subtle cyber-sammie with backgrounds in high society that you could take to a fancy shindig and he woulden't look out of place.
Squinky
Heh. I was kinda rushing that picture. Took a gamble, lost.

So Penta, going off of how I interpreted your request, how would you modify this to make it fit what your envision? I'll do another one up as soon as I get more info.
Penta
Well, the head is more rounded, like a normal human head.smile.gif

Hair...IRL, I part my hair on the left, to cover a surgical scar that runs along basically the right side of my scalp. I guess seeing the part in the center makes it look odd.
Kyoto Kid
...OK, here goes. The spoiler below contains the details of all the Grande family.

[ Spoiler ]

Please excuse any misspellings as this was imported from a Word document and I had to enter a few references afterwards when I could get on line. For some reason this caused the PHP spell checker to highlight incorrect targets.

The main document was spell checked in Word.
Squinky
QUOTE (Penta)
Well, the head is more rounded, like a normal human head.smile.gif

Hair...IRL, I part my hair on the left, to cover a surgical scar that runs along basically the right side of my scalp. I guess seeing the part in the center makes it look odd.

So, besides fixing the head and hair, the general style of the character is okay? And is there any specific pose or weapon/item you want to include?
Penta
Yeah, it's fine...

No, can't think of anything.
ElFenrir
Meggan usually dresses in a “Neo-Edwardian� style (Zoé Heritage of course) and never carries a weapon. She doesn’t need to since she is a Grade VII Social Adept. Lady Grande has a natural Charisma of 7 (exceptional attribute) with three levels of Tailored Pheromones - Delta Grade. Being an adept, Meggan has no other implants

Wow. Talk about not needing a weapon, that woman can talk bullets out of the air! biggrin.gif
Kyoto Kid
...that's the idea.

In the original run of the Rhapsody campaign (which was in SR3) the characters tried their best to avoid negotiating with her face to face.

[picture: runners looking like the proverbial deer in the headlights after their Face tries to bargain the price up to 25,000 per character for the job.]

[Lady Grande] "Now let me see, that's 25,000 Sterling total for your entire team? You chaps definitely drive a hard bargain. It is a deal.""

[the team accepts the payment]

Basically, got tired of the PC mage characters pumping up their Charisma & Willpower all the time to always get what they wanted from the mundane Johnsons.
Squinky

Okay, heres another try at your character Penta (in sketch form at this point until it meets your approval)

Penta's Character sketch

I think I got too focused on the broad shoulders last time, made him look to block headed.
ShadowDragon8685
Actually, it's the long lines down the sides of his face that make him look angular, hence the questions of cyberskulldom. At least, for me.

Looks like he's packing armored cheeks.
Squinky
Yeah, I guess what I meant to say was that the mention of him having large shoulders made me picture him as a very broad faced character also. And then I got hooked on that idea and drew him accordingly.
Penta
Nope. Actually, and this is what makes me probably look odd IRL...

I have broad shoulders, but a very narrow face.

The latest pic...Looks good...But, man does he look angry.smile.gif
Squinky
Okay, I'll try and tone down the look on his face a little before inking.
Squinky
Dog's Rusty
Squinky
Here it is, hope it doesn't leave you disappointed:

Penta's Character Redone
Penta
Very good. Well, I never imagined myself with a goatee, but very good nonetheless.smile.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (Squinky)
Dog's Rusty

That's a really good picture. love.gif
Kyoto Kid
...both are really nice

I like the "over the shoulder" look for Penta. That IS shadowrun.

Dog's rusty: The hand over the bandage... how many times I've pictured my characters like this. Nice touch.
ShadowDragon8685
Agreed. The new Penta... Is just win-sauceum. It's awesome.
lorechaser
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Agreed. The new Penta... Is just win-sauceum. It's awesome.

I....

I think we have to kill you for that phrase.
BishopMcQ
Just poking my head in to say thanks to Squinky! The artwork in the Missions has been great and I'm looking forward to the next round of pieces.

Keep up the great work! Thanks!!

-Stephen
Squinky
QUOTE (McQuillan)
Just poking my head in to say thanks to Squinky! The artwork in the Missions has been great and I'm looking forward to the next round of pieces.

Keep up the great work! Thanks!!

-Stephen

Thanks man! I'm gonna be hitting the missions stuff up here probably tomorrow, to much going on tonight sadly.

And thanks all for the feedback. I'm a little confused by the win-sauceum thing though...
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Squinky)
QUOTE (McQuillan @ Jan 8 2007, 06:32 PM)
Just poking my head in to say thanks to Squinky!  The artwork in the Missions has been great and I'm looking forward to the next round of pieces.

Keep up the great work!  Thanks!!

-Stephen

Thanks man! I'm gonna be hitting the missions stuff up here probably tomorrow, to much going on tonight sadly.

And thanks all for the feedback. I'm a little confused by the win-sauceum thing though...

Win-awesome-sauce. Or Win-sauce-awesome.

I imagine it being somewhat akin to calling something lame weak-sauce. Only in this case it's calling something really good (and I whole heartedly agree with the redone penta, amazing) so its win-sauceum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012