Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC New Beginnings DAWN
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
Crossbow
No, as usual, this delay is on me. I have a lot of stuff going on.
Crossbow
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Mar 19 2023, 01:10 PM) *
But, the message to his teammates got through, right?

Torley has no idea if his message went out since he threw his earpiece away, but yes, the others did hear him.

Crossbow
Okay, we are caught up. Starlet and Bullet Storm can roll initiative. Torley is out of combat.
Necrogigas
Reaction 8 + Intuition 3 - CM 1 = Initiative 10
Initiative: 10d6t5 1
Total: 11
pbangarth
QUOTE (Crossbow @ Mar 23 2023, 03:14 AM) *
Torley is out of combat.

Hah! That's what they all think. Till it's too late! Mwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
pbangarth
Oh wow! John Wick 4. Over the top and crazy. If When you see it, especially you Crossbow who have played with Quick Willie, the scene around the Arc of Triumph was MADE for him!

As an aside, I once entered the traffic circle around the Arc of Triumph on bicycle ... in winter. Only after eight lanes of incensed Frenchmen tried to kill me did I notice the signs forbidding bicycles.
Crossbow
Waiting on Starlet's initiative.
farothel
Sorry, I've not played shadowrun in some time and in most other games you roll init only once
initiative: 7d6t5 1
so that's 8 and 2IP
pbangarth
I have to say, farothel, I love your signature quote. i wish I had thought of that.
farothel
I have that one already for 25 years or so. I found it somewhere on the internet at the end of the 90s and kept it ever since.
pbangarth
Have we reached the end of a long road? It's been about a month since the last IC post, and nearly as long here.

I really like playing Torley and hope that old Frank Sinatra song doesn't apply.

My Way
Crossbow
Starlet and Bullet Storm can post first passes.

Sorry folks, had an accident at work that almost chopped off my finger, which resulted in my termination. Things have not been happy for me.
pbangarth
Wow. Take care of yourself. I hope you gave your former employer "the finger".
Necrogigas
Is it that devil spirit that's in the smoke with Con, or is this someone new?
Crossbow
It is the little spirit that told you to kill the guy in the goat pen.
Crossbow
The soldiers have barely gotten you out of the apartment, remember, in rounds time goes SLOWLY.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Crossbow @ May 22 2023, 06:18 PM) *
The soldiers have barely gotten you out of the apartment, remember, in rounds time goes SLOWLY.

Hey! To Torley, 3 seconds with his mouth shut is an eternity!
Necrogigas
So if REE-SIP-EE isn't recipe phonetically, what does it sound like?
Crossbow
It is obviously what he is talking about, a recipe, but he is pronouncing it like R-long e sound-SIPPY (like a kid's sippy cup).

I will give you the free Judge Intentions check and tell you he was obviously sent here to find something but he has no idea what it is and has basically decided to just hang out and be a nuisance for his own entertainment.
Necrogigas
With the two spirits blocking the entryway, there's no other entry point, like windows, or anything?
Crossbow
All of the windows are being used by people shooting at you. I am once again confused why you want to get into the building. I thought your job was keeping the fight outside and NOT bringing it to Starlet.
Necrogigas
You said Lil' Homie spotted an Army breach team setting up to gain entry into the main building. I do not trust the guards to be competent enough to be able to hold the breach to the point that Starlet's position is secure.

Crossbow
Okay, just trying to get a sense of things.
pbangarth
Will be away from computer from 31 May 2023 till 10 June 2023. Access to internet will be limited at best. Carry on without me and try to keep my PC alive till I return! biggrin.gif
pbangarth
I back!
Necrogigas
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jun 9 2023, 09:32 AM) *
I back!

How was the trip?
pbangarth
Days and days of unlimited drinks and food, and grandchildren crawling all over me. Yeah!

It rained a lot, which was a bummer for the tourists, but the locals were glad for the break from a couple of months of drought. I've often said that because of my preference for warmer weather, I should have been born in the Caribbean rather than Canada. Within hours the heat and humidity felt perfectly normal to me.

It took me two days at home to re-acclimatize to weather here.

But the air was clear in Jamaica. As our return flight dropped through the clouds to the airport in Toronto, reddish brown haze appeared. It looked like The Apocalypse. Same is happening in the States I hear. And, of course, Blame Canada is back in many American minds. frown.gif
pbangarth
Are we still here?
pbangarth
We are!
pbangarth
OK! So :

Torley is held captive by the Guards.

Starlet is being blown to Kingdom Come.

O'Connor is trapped in the kitchen with a mischievous spirit.

All is well in Lagos!
Necrogigas
Happy 4th. *Firework emoji*
farothel
25S will take me out and most likely kill me, even with the 12 extra armour. With those I have 26 armour, but I have to roll while the 25S is straight damage.

Just rolled:
armour roll: 26d6t5 6

that's 19S coming in, which will fill my stun track and my wound track completely (I still had 2 stun from drain that I didn't heal yet as one has to rest), killing me. I think you overdid it a bit here Crossbow. 25 is very much.
pbangarth
QUOTE (farothel @ Jul 5 2023, 12:26 PM) *
25S will take me out and most likely kill me, even with the 12 extra armour. With those I have 26 armour, but I have to roll while the 25S is straight damage.

Just rolled:
armour roll: 26d6t5 6

that's 19S coming in, which will fill my stun track and my wound track completely (I still had 2 stun from drain that I didn't heal yet as one has to rest), killing me. I think you overdid it a bit here Crossbow. 25 is very much.

This looks like a good time to use Edge. Do you have any left?

EDIT: Hey. Doesn't distance also reduce the damage value?
farothel
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jul 5 2023, 07:37 PM) *
This looks like a good time to use Edge. Do you have any left?

EDIT: Hey. Doesn't distance also reduce the damage value?

I have edge, yes.

And it does with grenades, so I guess it also does with explosions.
pbangarth
QUOTE (farothel @ Jul 5 2023, 03:08 PM) *
I have edge, yes.

And it does with grenades, so I guess it also does with explosions.

Ok, so Crossbow, is there any distance modifier to the damage value?

And farothel, you could reroll the misses with a point of Edge. Even if there is no distance modifier to the damage value, you would get to roll the 20 misses over, giving you, on average, 6 or more hits. 19 down to 13 might mean survival.
Crossbow
I figured it would hurt, wasn't trying to kill her. Average roll on 26 dice is just under 9 hits.

Being down range of a beaching charge is not meant to be a happy fun time. But I think I did the calculations correctly. It was 30 dv charge to make a 2 meter hole. Does anyone have a different read of the RAW?
pbangarth
QUOTE (Crossbow @ Jul 6 2023, 05:54 PM) *
I figured it would hurt, wasn't trying to kill her. Average roll on 26 dice is just under 9 hits.

Being down range of a beaching charge is not meant to be a happy fun time. But I think I did the calculations correctly. It was 30 dv charge to make a 2 meter hole. Does anyone have a different read of the RAW?

1) I didn't realize the soldiers were inside the compound. If not, then an outside wall probably is stronger. But let's go with the inside for now.

2) No way I want to work through the explosives vs. barriers stuff in the BBB and Arsenal. So let's go with the 30DV. And distance was included to bring this down to 25S DV.

3) Post #833 in the IC thread describes the walls as "thick stone walls" muffling the sound. If they are thick stone walls "all around them", then the armour rating as per the Barrier Rating Table on pg. 166 of SR4A should be more than 6, as that is for "hardwood, dataterm, lightpost, chain link". I would think thick stone is at least similar to brick, which has an armour rating of 12. Two of those would add 24 to Starlets armour, not 12. Not sure if the second wall would require a second breach attempt.

3) So, my suggestion is that Starlet and Silence get +24 armour on a 25S DV attack. This would give Starlet 38 armour dice.

4) And for Heaven's sake, if this isn't a time to use Edge, I don't know when is.

Here's a sample damage resistance:

38 dice, target 5: average hits is 12+
Edge to reroll misses -- 26 dice, target 5: average hits is 8+

So Starlet would take 5S or less damage. Nasty, but not death!
Crossbow
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jul 6 2023, 08:21 PM) *
1) I didn't realize the soldiers were inside the compound. If not, then an outside wall probably is stronger. But let's go with the inside for now.

The soldiers are not inside the compound, that is why they made a door into the building. The internal walls are what is giving her protection from the effects of the blast.

2) No way I want to work through the explosives vs. barriers stuff in the BBB and Arsenal. So let's go with the 30DV. And distance was included to bring this down to 25S DV.

I didn't know that Arsenal had rules on barriers and explosives, I will look at those. I made a GM call to change the damage to stun because I figured the shrapnel wouldn't make it through the walls, just the pressure wave.

3) Post #833 in the IC thread describes the walls as "thick stone walls" muffling the sound. If they are thick stone walls "all around them", then the armour rating as per the Barrier Rating Table on pg. 166 of SR4A should be more than 6, as that is for "hardwood, dataterm, lightpost, chain link". I would think thick stone is at least similar to brick, which has an armour rating of 12. Two of those would add 24 to Starlets armour, not 12. Not sure if the second wall would require a second breach attempt.

One outer wall, at the end of the hallway, creating a 2 meter hole, that was the intention of the charge.

3) So, my suggestion is that Starlet and Silence get +24 armour on a 25S DV attack. This would give Starlet 38 armour dice.

4) And for Heaven's sake, if this isn't a time to use Edge, I don't know when is.

I am fine with this adjustment, thanks for the correction.

pbangarth
Let me know what you want me to roll if Torley has any chance at all at his escape attempt.
farothel
so I've added 12 more dice: resist damage: 12d6t5 6
and using edge to reroll all misses
resist damage: 26d6t5 6

So that's 18 successes, leaving 25S to 7S, which I can take (although I'm at -3 at the moment).

I'm away from my books, but does the healing spell allow healing of Stun damage? Or only physical?
Crossbow
The Heal can only work on Physical, which, if you would rather, you can take the damage as physical, since that was my caveat and I can withdraw it if you like. Regardless, Spellcasting + Willpower (2) Test to avoid dropping each sustained spell.
pbangarth
Oh, God. I'm gonna get Torley killed. frown.gif
Crossbow
You guys are out of rounds at the moment, at least until you decide to get shot at again.
Necrogigas
Anyone got any clever ideas to push Con's side quest forward? Three hits on a pool of six is probably the best I'm going to get. I don't think Perception is going to be the solution.
pbangarth
Unfortunately, poor Con is the least capable of the crew present to find an item that is probably magical. I say probably, because there might simply be a piece of paper or item that has the secret name of the spirit on it. Find that, and the spirit will likely want it destroyed post-haste. The REE-CI-PEE might also be an incantation to break whatever hold this place has on the spirit.

If that does free the spirit, it may be grateful enough to give a hand to Con. I don't know, but it sure looks like the team could use some help.

It may be time to just ransack the kitchen, ripping/tossing/opening everything till Con or the spirit itself sees what it wants. If you could get Starlet and Silence to Con, they might be able to give him some help in this side-item-in-the-midst-of-a-firefight.

Or it's just fucking with Con and is having a great time jerking him around.

I'll do what I can with Torley to misdirect the Guards, but Torley is ... lacking a certain amount of leverage at the moment. silly.gif
Necrogigas
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jul 14 2023, 04:11 PM) *
Unfortunately, poor Con is the least capable of the crew present to find an item that is probably magical.

It's worse than that. O'Connor is taking the spirit completely at face value, and is running off the assumption that the spirit was tasked with stealing the secret family recipes.

It may be time to just ransack the kitchen, ripping/tossing/opening everything till Con or the spirit itself sees what it wants.

The spirit doesn't know what it is looking for, that's why it's stuck there.

Or it's just fucking with Con and is having a great time jerking him around.

I've been worried about that since deciding to go down this rabbit hole. Crossbow gave me a free judge intentions check that told me LBD is on the up-n-up. It was a behind the screen roll, so I don't know if Con judged the situation correctly.
I'm thinking the ledger might be some kind of code book. O'Connor has a 3 Logic, and no skills or knowledge that's applicable. He's at a -2 condition modifier and the defaulting penalty gives him a pool of 0. He's not the guy for puzzles.
pbangarth
Suuuure. Give me a PC with Thrill Seeker. I can handle that. No problem. Zip tied and up against a wall? No problem.
pbangarth
Clever call on the safe being a delay, farothel.
pbangarth
Sure would be nice to get the *$$*&% out of Lagos. Just sayin'. wink.gif
Necrogigas
Well that just happened. Who could have foreseen engaging with the chaos gremlin would bite O'Connor in the ass? Real curious to see if LBD just knocked him out or is going to kidnap him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012