Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC New Beginnings DAWN
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
Crossbow
No worries, just wanted to be sure that neither of you were down with COVID.
farothel
QUOTE (Crossbow @ Apr 17 2020, 05:09 PM) *
No worries, just wanted to be sure that neither of you were down with COVID.

I doubt I've been meeting with enough people face to face to be in any danger for that.
Crossbow
QUOTE (Crossbow @ Apr 4 2020, 01:46 PM) *
We may have someone dropping in to take over Torley, I have played with him in the other game, hopefully he can help us keep moving.

Be nice.

pbangarth is the person I spoke about earlier. He feels like he is up to speed to jump in, so this is an official introduction.

Welcome to New Beginnings pbangarth. (He asked for the official part cool.gif )
pbangarth
Thanks!

It looks like some fun has happened, and I am ... excited(?) to jump in right when Torley is supposed to convince a guy with an army behind him that we are really his friends, and not a bunch of shadowrunning, scumbag thieves. I can lie!
Crossbow
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Apr 19 2020, 09:18 PM) *
Thanks!

It looks like some fun has happened, and I am ... excited(?) to jump in right when Torley is supposed to convince a guy with an army behind him that we are really his friends, and not a bunch of shadowrunning, scumbag thieves. I can lie!

They usually aren't thieves, but it was on the table a few hours ago.
pbangarth
And if Torley blows it, it could come back onto the table!
Crossbow
Convincing the guard to take you to the king is your first test pbangarth.

QUOTE (Crossbow @ Mar 21 2020, 12:02 PM) *
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jane and Torley head for the courtyard and the security who seems to be keeping them here. "We need to speak with Adegoke, we want to help." The security person looks at you dubiously.

pbangarth
Should I roll something for the talk to the guard? If so, what would you like me to roll?
Crossbow
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Apr 20 2020, 04:29 PM) *
Should I roll something for the talk to the guard? If so, what would you like me to roll?

You are trying to convince him to do something he probably shouldn't do, so Fast Talk would be appropriate, should be 13d6 if I remember right.
pbangarth
OK

Torley fast talking the security guy:

CHA 6 + Con 4 + Fast Talk spec 2 + Kinesics 3 = 15D6 : 7 HITS
pbangarth
Fast talk the King:

15 dice : 3 HITS

Oh, no, that won't do. We have to win this one. Use Edge to reroll misses:

12 dice : 5 HITS

That's more like it! Total of 8 hits.

##########

Speaking of Edge, I see in Torley's character sheet an Edge of 4(3). Did he burn a point of Edge in earlier runs?
Crossbow
No one has burned edge, that is either a notation of the Human's edge bump or he was tracking a used point on there. You would be refreshed at this point, so wither way, go with the four.
farothel
I'm also not really sure anymore who we know in Lagos. We haven't been there all that long, so probably not too many people.
Necrogigas
Where did Torley leave things with that harbor master? Crooked guy like that might know a guy who knows a guy.
Crossbow
That is a good place to start, your team left off with him by accomplishing his job, which he technically hasn't paid for and won't need to since you found the elf on your own.
pbangarth
Torley checks the drop box to see if any new info is there. Might as well put a note in there to let the harbour (I'm Canadian. Deal with the spelling.) master know we would like to see him again for more info on another matter.

If the thief was indeed able to spoof the defenses because he was attuned to Ife, shouldn't that make him easier to find? An Igbo attuned to a Yoruba tradition?

Maybe there's an enclave of Igbo followers of Ife, isolated and shunned by the general population for their beliefs. Oh! Oh! Maybe this is a way the small shunned community wants to buy good will from the broader Igbo nation. Or ... the idol has meaning to Ife and will give power to the small community of followers.

Damn. I should be writing this shit!

EDIT: on reread, maybe the tradition is "Blessed Ifa'" and the place is Ife.
pbangarth
Wow. This is cool: Ifá tradition

Crossbow
The dropbox, when you (or more likely Snow) checks it has satellite imagery of Lagos and the surrounding jungle. There is a red X roughly 10K into where the jungle overwhelms the landscape, north of the city. There is also a text file from Finnegan.

"this is approximately where some high and mighty Muck-a-muck Tir elves have a hidden compound. This is, best info, where your guy went when he arrived in Lagos. For a small fee I can put you in touch with a Merc Crew that you can hire to get you there, but they won't be cheap and no locals will even make the attempt. Bad juju, like they say in the trids."
pbangarth
Since Snow is more likely to have learned this, I'll wait for her to tell the rest of us.
Crossbow
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Apr 23 2020, 07:28 PM) *
Since Snow is more likely to have learned this, I'll wait for her to tell the rest of us.

If we ever see SleepI again... This is actually not useful information since Samriel and those elves are a few doors down in the guest wing from you.

pbangarth
Hey, you never know when knowing where a secret compound is might come in handy.
pbangarth
It appears that the only posters on Dumpshock in the last 24 hours were four of us.
farothel
What does he mean with 'local telesma'? Aren't telesma magical ingredients for rituals, foci, etc.?
Crossbow
QUOTE (farothel @ Apr 27 2020, 11:30 AM) *
What does he mean with 'local telesma'? Aren't telesma magical ingredients for rituals, foci, etc.?

You brought it up.

QUOTE (farothel @ Apr 7 2020, 02:36 PM) *
"Don't worry," Sammy said, "I can keep a secret. If I had sold what I knew about scripts in Hollywood while we were filming, I could probably have outbid just about anybody here."

So a thief with strong magic, probably aspected to this domain, otherwise they would be able to find him easily.

"Hey, maybe we can come together and talk shop one day," she said, "I'm sure you have many interesting ways to look at magic and I would love to know about telesma here in the jungle."
And she could use that time to try to get more information out of them, which was Always easier face to face. And maybe get Torley to join, he seemed better at this stuff.

farothel
QUOTE (Crossbow @ Apr 27 2020, 09:34 PM) *
You brought it up.

Right. Sorry, it's been a while.
Crossbow
Going to push on to Lagos if no one has anything else.
farothel
nothing. I'm willing to hand out some autographs if it helps getting extra information.
Necrogigas
Go for it.
pbangarth
Waterfront weasel gets my vote.
Necrogigas
Agreed.
pbangarth
I guess the two of us make a quorum? Go for it, Crossbow.
Crossbow
Finals week for me, fair warning.
pbangarth
Whatcha writing, Crossbow?

So, gang, how much info do we want to share with this guy? I don't want to blurt out more than necessary.
Crossbow
QUOTE (pbangarth @ May 5 2020, 09:13 PM) *
Whatcha writing, Crossbow?

Code...lots and lots of code. Learning how to and then writing code. I hate my life.
pbangarth
I got a BSc in Computer Science .. in 1981. Been there. Wrote the code. Ate the punch cards.

This too shall pass.
Crossbow
QUOTE (pbangarth @ May 5 2020, 11:35 PM) *
I got a BSc in Computer Science .. in 1981. Been there. Wrote the code. Ate the punch cards.

This too shall pass.

Going for a cybersecurity degree, last august I had no idea what Linux, Unix or powershell were. I want to go back to that simpler time.
farothel
Also writing code, but SAS code for clinical trials. Not yet on COVID, but those will come very soon.
Necrogigas
QUOTE (pbangarth @ May 5 2020, 05:13 PM) *
So, gang, how much info do we want to share with this guy? I don't want to blurt out more than necessary.

Just the basics, we're tracking an antiquity piece. We could ask for names of fences that would deal in extremely hot merchandise. We could also ask about the gangs that could pull this heist off.
farothel
QUOTE (Necrogigas @ May 6 2020, 08:35 AM) *
Just the basics, we're tracking an antiquity piece. We could ask for names of fences that would deal in extremely hot merchandise. We could also ask about the gangs that could pull this heist off.

or even just speak of some valuable cargo. He's probably been around long enough to understand subtext and to know that people never tell everything (he wouldn't either in similar circumstances, I'm sure).
farothel
QUOTE (Necrogigas @ May 6 2020, 08:35 AM) *

or even just speak of some valuable cargo. He's probably been around long enough to understand subtext and to know that people never tell everything (he wouldn't either in similar circumstances, I'm sure).
pbangarth
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Nice hint, Necrogigas! I'll post soon.
SleepIncarnate
Snow is secretly sleeping while pretending to be in VR. That, or I've been slammed constantly and forgot to check in here with my little time available. It could be either. Did I not post that Snow was passing on what little she got from all her Browser Fu?
Crossbow
QUOTE (SleepIncarnate @ May 8 2020, 12:33 PM) *
Snow is secretly sleeping while pretending to be in VR. That, or I've been slammed constantly and forgot to check in here with my little time available. It could be either. Did I not post that Snow was passing on what little she got from all her Browser Fu?

Nope, SleepI go night-night. wink.gif

No worries, I always consider it a safe assumption that anything said to one gets disseminated unless it is specifically said otherwise.
farothel
I hope that I have done the calculations right, but I thought it was about 20 naria for a nuyen.
pbangarth
Yup.

#####
The hawala nods. “I see you each have a deposit of 1,250 nuyen on account. That is equal to, hm … 25,000 naira. I can give you all of this, or if you wish to leave some on deposit, any other hawala in the city can release your funds to you. I’ll give you markers to show them, which will include your remaining account balances.”
#####
Crossbow
Guys, you don't need a boat

Map of Lagos

Adjust your posts accordingly
pbangarth
Thanks. I wondered about that but figured I missed something.
farothel
Sorry, I confused with Lagos main Island. Where all the cool stuff happens. My bad.

You know, I'm going to leave it in as is. Sammy is not the best in knowing where she is (she used to have people for that) and it's a new city after all. Mistakes can be made.
Necrogigas
Anything need doing before we follow the next bread crumb?
pbangarth
Aside from flagging down transport, I'm not sure what else we can do here. I'll be glad to let Torley be quiet (for him) till we need to negotiate again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012