Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Denver Missions Team 2
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
Kim
Sadly, Kim would gladly accept the offer if it was being made.
Zyerne
Klink, I think you have the wrong impression on the cigarretes. I don't think it's expensive handmade ones, I think it's guy a taking tobacco out of a pouch and rolling his own.
BlackHat
Even if they are expensive, he's a corporate exec. He has money.
Zyerne
Klink, could you edit that last to @team rather than @kim?
klinktastic
I was telling BlackHat this a few days ago. I used to write case studies while I was in grad school. I know how intreprate clues in a premade scenario. First off, we found hand rolled cigarettes...but we did not find rolling papers or the a pouch with mint herbs in it. Where they hand rolled? Yes! By Mr. B? Nope. I'm 110% this is a lead.

Remember, there's got to be at least 3-5 ways to get to the end of this mission with us getting the mission done successfully. Right now we have the following paths:

1. The fact that the runner team is all amerind females - which lead us to Hardpan and hopefully to the Black Cats
2. The commlink - which if I can hack it, will most likely have something that leads us to Mr. B
3. The cigarettes - which if we can succeed at some social roles, convince the mafia to deploy some resources to find out that it was the Black Cats that nabbed him

Think about 1 and 3. They are both dependant on social rolls. What if you fuck up a social roll at one place? Does that mean you've fucked the mission? Obviously not.

On an RP side, Riot saw some cool, unique cigs. He send out some pics and got a clue. No reason not to investigate if it gets me another 4k.
klinktastic
QUOTE (Zyerne @ Jan 22 2011, 08:22 PM) *
Klink, could you edit that last to @team rather than @kim?

Already did.
klinktastic
Anyone watching UFC Fight for the Troops?
BlackHat
Nope, is it PPV? Just watching some sci-fi channel before going to bed. Man I'm boring. biggrin.gif
klinktastic
Neg, this is a freebie on Spike. Bears game tomorrow. Hope Cutler doesn't suck it up.
Zyerne
Go Packers!

(I'm a 'hawks fan.)
klinktastic
QUOTE (Zyerne @ Jan 22 2011, 09:41 PM) *
Go Packers!

(I'm a 'hawks fan.)

BOO! I was at the regular season Bears vs Seahawks game. It was utter garbage. What a waste of $500....jk it was pretty fun. The Seahawks were pretty surprising this year, but Pete Carrol is a solid coach and they made some solid moves/trades. Just need some help on the defensive side and they'll dominate that division next year.
Zyerne
Qwest Field is about 5000 miles from here. I'll get there one day.
klinktastic
@JP - I programmed the van to take until 545 to get there. That should get me past the first hour. If I need more probing, I'll be taking a break from the probe so I can go into Marcel's since I'm the only one who thinks that anything is going to come out of these cigarettes.
J. Packer
QUOTE (klinktastic @ Jan 22 2011, 09:45 PM) *
@JP - I programmed the van to take until 545 to get there. That should get me past the first hour. If I need more probing, I'll be taking a break from the probe so I can go into Marcel's since I'm the only one who thinks that anything is going to come out of these cigarettes.

Sorry, missed putting a timestamp on the second part of the post. The probe is not complete after one hour, so go ahead with whatever else you have planned.
klinktastic
No problems. Figured that nothing was gonna happen until I could take a break. It would have been wierd to just hang out in the parking lot for 15 minutes and then go in.

Post 511 is my probe attempt -
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=1033546
Kim
The only clue the cigarettes give is that they have a distinctive smell. Which means anyone who is in the same room with B for a while will smell like it too. In addition, if we come in a room where he’s been it will smell like it.

Your contact even told you that you have to roll those kinds of cigarettes yourself, so it makes sense that we didn’t find a package the cigarettes came in. Since B is obviously addicted to them, he would not have wanted to leave the stuff he needs to roll those cigarettes. It all makes sense that we didn’t find any of it, if it was an extraction and not a kidnapping.
Zyerne
We've got the time to kill. Given the location, I see 4 likely outcomes: We get something useful, Riot looks like an idiot, Riot gets dead, Mafia send goons after us. That's a 75% chance of an acceptable outcome.
klinktastic
Given that I'm affliated, though not a member, of a go gang...I think I'll be ok.
klinktastic
I'm waiting on JP to give me a summary of my hacking progress. My next actions are contingent upon that.
BlackHat
Looking for this?
QUOTE (J. Packer @ Jan 22 2011, 11:53 PM) *
The probe is not complete after one hour, so go ahead with whatever else you have planned.

My guess is that you got 7hits, but not hits equal to the system + firewall, so it will take at least another hour.
BlackHat
Also, given that the response of an avalon is a 4, the system rating of the custom OS is likely not running at better than 4, but the firewall might be (since it is an exception to the response rule). So you're probably looking at needing 1-3 more hits.
klinktastic
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jan 23 2011, 11:02 AM) *
Also, given that the response of an avalon is a 4, the system rating of the custom OS is likely not running at better than 4, but the firewall might be (since it is an exception to the response rule). So you're probably looking at needing 1-3 more hits.

He must have editted that in.
klinktastic
Three successes on the ettiquette roll, not bad. See if I can prove the doubters wrong.
Kim
QUOTE (klinktastic @ Jan 23 2011, 07:11 PM) *
pulling out one of the mint cigarette.

I thought there were only butts left in the sink. Did I miss something?
Kim will be very surprised if there were still whole cigarettes in the room.
klinktastic
QUOTE (Kim @ Jan 23 2011, 01:12 PM) *
I thought there were only butts left in the sink. Did I miss something?
Kim will be very surprised if there were still whole cigarettes in the room.

Opps, I meant to put butt in there.
Zyerne
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jan 24 2011, 01:39 AM) *
[Saturday April 9th, 2072 | 5:45pm | Denver, Sioux Sector, Marcel's]
Kreskin | PAN = passive | Fake SIN = Cody Demasi

Kreskin leans forward, curious to hear how the dwarf would respond.

My money's on badly, but we'll see.
Kim
I think chances of him ever seen or heard of a Mr. Belenkiy are <<1%
klinktastic
Both of you are crazy.
Kim
Hehe... whatever happens, it'll be funny. Either Kim or Riot is gonna feel pretty stupid biggrin.gif
Zyerne
I think there's a good chance the dwarf has heard of him, it's Riot's approach I'm not so sure about.
Kim
QUOTE (Zyerne @ Jan 24 2011, 02:59 AM) *
I think there's a good chance the dwarf has heard of him, it's Riot's approach I'm not so sure about.

Really?? Considering B is probably from out of town, I see no reason why he should ever have set foot in that place.
Zyerne
Quite possibly hasn't but if the dwarf is mafia and there's a whole mafia thing going on with Belinkiy there's a good chance he knows the name. My worry is the dwarf knows he wouldn't, or can't, send anyone to get smokes for him
Kim
B smokes some mint flavored tobacco. Riot knows a guy who knows some mobster who (he thinks) smokes the same kind of tobacco. If by some miracle B and this mafia guy are connected, you might be right that Riot (and Kreskin) could be in trouble.
klinktastic
You guys have to be kidding. If this mobster personally handrolls cigarettes, I highly doubt he mass produces and sells them to thousands of people. He and B are friends. B's just another corrupt exec, probably selling weapons and tech to the mob. They're going to have a vested interest in finding him.
Zyerne
If, as I said before, they weren't involved in him disappearing in the first place.
Kim
QUOTE (klinktastic @ Jan 24 2011, 03:26 AM) *
You guys have to be kidding. If this mobster personally handrolls cigarettes,

~rofl~ Everyone who smokes that kind of tobacco has to roll cigarettes for themselves.
BlackHat
QUOTE (Kim @ Jan 23 2011, 08:54 PM) *
Hehe... whatever happens, it'll be funny. Either Kim or Riot is gonna feel pretty stupid biggrin.gif

That's why Kreskin wanted a front row seat. Either way this goes down, should be good.
klinktastic
QUOTE (Kim @ Jan 23 2011, 08:28 PM) *
~rofl~ Everyone who smokes that kind of tobacco has to roll cigarettes for themselves.

And the percent of the population that smokes MINT cigarettes? <.01% Mr. B is an ARES executive!!!!! He's not rolling shit. He's way to busy, working like 12 hours days. I mean he's at a corporate retreat over the weekend. Seriously, I don't understand why you don't see how their connected.
Zyerne
Connected or not, he's rolling them himself. You just don't get pre-rolled handrolled cigarettes. Trust me, I've been smoking them going on 15 years. Takes like 30 seconds and I can get mint flavoured tobacco, along with about 25 other flavors, from a store in town.

Kim
QUOTE (klinktastic @ Jan 24 2011, 03:34 AM) *
He's not rolling shit. He's way to busy, working like 12 hours days.

You're kidding me right?

klinktastic
QUOTE (Kim @ Jan 23 2011, 08:38 PM) *
You're kidding me right?

How long does it take to handroll a cig...5 minutes? If he's blowing thru 10 a night...he's spending what, nearly an hour or two per day rolling these things? I think not. Math CPU for the win.
Zyerne
As I said before the post above, 30 seconds.
klinktastic
And you're telling me, what, that the only way to find out that its the Black Cats is thru Hardpan? Just like in the last mission the only way to get to Chavez's mansion is thru the border crosses. No, there's multiple methods to reach the same ending.
Kim
QUOTE (klinktastic @ Jan 24 2011, 03:39 AM) *
How long does it take to handroll a cig...5 minutes? If he's blowing thru 10 a night...he's spending what, nearly an hour or two per day rolling these things? I think not. Math CPU for the win.

It's even in the IC thread:

QUOTE (J. Packer @ Jan 18 2011, 11:55 PM) *
[Saturday April 9th, 2072 | 4:22 pm | Denver, Sioux Sector, The Horse Trot Ranch]

There's no evidence of any cigarette packages, just an empty cellophane wrapper. Looking at the butts, you see that they're hand rolled - the package might be what's left from a packet of rolling papers.

klinktastic
QUOTE (Zyerne @ Jan 23 2011, 08:41 PM) *
As I said before the post above, 30 seconds.

I've rolled herbal (illegal) cigs, and if you do it right, even practiced, takes a lot longer than 30 seconds. I've seen well practiced "cigarette" rollers take 5 minutes to make sure its just right. 30 sec is a very unrealistic estimate.
Zyerne
QUOTE (klinktastic @ Jan 24 2011, 02:41 AM) *
And you're telling me, what, that the only way to find out that its the Black Cats is thru Hardpan? Just like in the last mission the only way to get to Chavez's mansion is thru the border crosses. No, there's multiple methods to reach the same ending.

Of course there is, even if Kim hasn't realised that yet. She and I are arguing 2 different points.
klinktastic
Do you know what cellophane is? It;s like seran wrap. Its a sticky plastic. Meaning, that the handrolled cigs were wrapped to preserve the freshness.
Zyerne
"Illegal cigarettes" are an entirely different proposition. A normal handrolled cigarette, regardless of tobacco, takes 30 seconds with practice. I just timed it.
Kim
QUOTE (klinktastic @ Jan 24 2011, 03:41 AM) *

We agree on that.
Doesn't mean we already know all ways though.

So far we have:
the note and the commlink. (hacker)
personal stuff (mage)
Black Cats and Hardpan (face)
Zyerne
QUOTE (Kim @ Jan 24 2011, 02:48 AM) *
Black Cats and Hardpan (face hiding in the bathroom)

Fixed that for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012