Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Denver Missions Team 2
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
Kim
Merry Christmas Everybody!!
klinktastic
Merry Christmas everyone! I'm glad we got a awesome group for this! I seriously cannot compliment everyone enough. The participant is great, the speed is awesome, and I can't wait to see what comes of this. Probably the most enjoyable PbP I've ever been a part of.
SleepIncarnate
It's already Boxing Day/start of Kwanzaa here (not that they celebrate Kwanzaa here), but it definitely was a lot of fun tonight, despite a relatively uneventful mission. Hope everyone else is having a safe and happy holiday, especially tomorrow with the after Christmas sales.
J. Packer
Sorry for the long silence, team 2. The holidays are requiring rather more hosting duties on my part than anticipated. I'll pop into the IC thread and see what needs doing.
Zyerne
I've managed to get sick. If I'm too slow posting, feel free to do what you need with Wolf to keep things moving.
Kim
@J.Packer: I've sent you a PM.
klinktastic
Barring anything coming from Peaches' reply to mine and BlackHat's questions? Do we need anything else? Or just skip to the narrative of the passage through the tunnel.

QUOTE (J. Packer @ Dec 18 2010, 01:58 PM) *
The address in Montbello is in a very high class part of town - high rents, well protected by "private security" and the like. The territory is under the control of the Chavez family, a known and very powerful mafia family in Denver, but not the only one. Omar Chavez is the current sottocapo, but he reports to someone out of state.

Also, I wanna do a datasearch on the Chavez Family, specifically Omar. Since Riot's seen a lot of action movies, and I'm guessing quite a few Mafia ones. Since the sottocapo is the boss man, and he's probably quirky, I want to see if I can find out anything about his personality. Just so we're aware if he's a schizo or sociopath.

Data Search:
[ Spoiler ]
klinktastic
I did a preempt perception roll. I'm assuming we'll be making another in the passage.

PS - I'm bored at work all week.....kill me please. Definitely gonna bring some movies in for Thursday.
klinktastic
Ah, we hit page 2!!!! I never thought it possible. I'm posting up a question in IC to Kim as well as bumping this up.
klinktastic
Just to keep our participation flowing, I got a couple discussion points.

First, have you identified anything on your character that you'll end up revising alittle? JP said that he'd entertain some minor modifications after this first run.

Second, in a PM with JP, he said that we will have a certain number of days inbetween runs to do things like make purchases, build/repair, etc. Anyone have anything they are working on and/or might need help with?

As for me, I'm probably going to keep my character the way he is. I'm probably going to spend my time using hardware skill to modify commlink's response from 3 to 6 to improve my matrix initiative. Additionally, I'll want to get a MGL 6 pistol with airburst and smartlink. One issue we'll need to address is obtaining a vehicle. I could obviously hack a van. The gang I'm trying to get into runs chopshops. Which means I can take it there. But I'll probably need to front cash to buy it from them straight up, but at least we can get it cleaned up for us. Thoughts on a "party-fund" if we "decide" to continue running together?

Also, any know the rules on modifying weapons, drones and vehicles? When you have someone modify it for you, you have to buy the upgrade and then pay for labor. When you do it yourself, do you just save out on the labor? Or do you get reductions on price of the upgrade? Or does it depend on what the upgrade is?
J. Packer
Hey, gang. Back in the fold again. Sent the in-laws back to Milwaukee, and didn't have to break up any fights between my MIL and my wife this time! I call that a success. smile.gif

I've updated the IC thread, and hope to be a bit more available. Things will return to their usual frenetic pace on Monday.

Klink, I'll look at the rules on modding weapons, and if they're sufficiently vague I'll houserule something.
BlackHat
My understanding of the modification rules is that you just save on labor (and potentially time, if your character is more skilled than his contacts.

As for changes to Kreskin, I might consider pheromones but I kind of like him better without them.

No major plans for downtime. He'd be happy to help where he can, or maybe plan out some elaborate con if we get bored. He's not currently planning to stay in touch - but I'm sure fate has other plans.
klinktastic
Well for the modding, I guess if you had junkyard knowledges and contacts you could sift through junk and maybe scrounge up parts.
J. Packer
QUOTE (klinktastic @ Dec 29 2010, 05:47 PM) *
Well for the modding, I guess if you had junkyard knowledges and contacts you could sift through junk and maybe scrounge up parts.

I can see that working similarly, mechanically, to a successful negotiation contest. A reduction in cost by percentages based on successes.
Zyerne
For Wolf, correcting his cyberware and seeing if I can fit in some intimidation are the only changes I'm looking at. He's also a 5pt negative quality short, so I need to fix that. Maybe prejudice against combat bikers? smile.gif
klinktastic
Actually, I think I'm going to make an adjustment. I'm going to drop a point from Dodge to free up 4 BPs. Specialize in Dodge (Ranged), giving me 2 (4) for ranged, which is ok, since I have club 3 to help offset the melee defense I'll be losing out on. With that, I'm going to invest the remaining 2 BPs in resources to go from 23 to 25 BPs in resources, freeing up 10k to play with. Also, do a direct swap of Reflex Recorder to Sleep Regulator.

So far:
Upgrade my Yahama Growler to Indian Pathfinder (500)
Lone Star iBall Offense (2000)
Add Ergonomic to Analyze, Encrypt, Reality Filter, and Scan (1200)
Add Program Optimization to my Commlink (500)
Upgrade Firewall to 5 (1900)
Upgrade Signal to 5 (500)
Buy Hardware Tool Kit (500)
Buy 40 Gel Rounds (120)
Buy 5 of each Microgrenades: Flash, Flash-Bang, Smoke (450)
Buy 1 Smoke Grenade (30)
Buy 2 Fake Licenses: Stun Baton & Colt R23 (600)
Buy Weapon Accessories (not equipped) Airburst Link & External Smartgun System (900)

= 9200 used, 800 left over to be used to pump starting cash, adds 8 * 50 = 400 nuyen
klinktastic
@JP - on post 307, I got 4 successes on a data search on Omar Chavez, hoping to find out something about him. Don't want to walk in on a psychopath or anything without at least a heads up. Also, feedback on the edit to my character after the mission as concluded would be appreciated. Obviously all items I'd be buying would have been left at home for this run.
J. Packer
You're right, and I missed that Klink. What you get about Omar Chavez is that he's a very serious man, in charge of the Chavez family of the mafia in Denver, and only on slightly positive terms with the Casquilho family. He is a hard man, and expects a certain level of respect be granted him.

I'll look over your gear changes, but none of them leap out at me as being a problem.
Zyerne
Given backstory, has Wolf heard the Five by Five mentioned before?
SleepIncarnate
I still can't think of anything yet for changes in Doc, the only area she really lacks in is social skills, and that's on purpose. She does need a handgun, but I can get one in a bit with the nuyen from this, was one of the things that came up in her pre-meet play. Also, I'm still around, just nothing much for her to do right now, aside from eye all of you warily and keep her shotgun in hand.

"Damn you orks, get off my lawn...."
klinktastic
@Sleep - maybe you need to change to prejudiced against orks? LOL. Yeah, we all made some good characters. I just realized I could make some minor modifications to save me some cash later on.

@all - Anyone gonna have an issue with not saving those bums from the ghouls. Riot wouldn't mind (from a thrillseeker prospective), but given the time crunch, I'm not in favor of anything but getting paid. I could be convinced just from a prospective of needing a little action. Just assuming there's a chase sequence at some point in the mission, which is why I'm not all about the combat quite yet.
Kim
Happy New Year!!

Kim will be very upset if we don't help those bums, but she's upset easily.
klinktastic
Happy New year as well!

Um, I know you don't know this, but Riot can be motivated easily by appealing to his thrillseeking side. My biggest problem is my lack of drones or a grenade launcher.
J. Packer
Happy New Year, all! I got you a moral dilemma as a little present. smile.gif
Zyerne
How many ghouls are there?
SleepIncarnate
QUOTE (klinktastic @ Dec 31 2010, 04:26 PM) *
@Sleep - maybe you need to change to prejudiced against orks? LOL. Yeah, we all made some good characters. I just realized I could make some minor modifications to save me some cash later on.

She's not prejudiced, she hates everyone equally. As proof, have an IC post that will make you all start to hate her more.
klinktastic
LOL! Yeah, you aren't making it easy on Riot. Alls I know is Riots a little more scared of Doc than Kim. I'm gonna wait for Zyerne or JP to post in response to the situation before impulsively making a decision. If Wolf wants to help, then its Kim, Cody, and Wolf verse Me and you. If Peaches does know those people then unfortunately I'm going to try and impress her. If Wolf votes with us and Peaches doesn't care, then we'll continue on and Kim can hate me more.
Kim
Kim hates the headaches so will probably not even help if you guys start shooting.
She will try to help the humans if no one else will though.

I don't think she's got much of a chance, but it might get funny when she tries to summon a F5 beast spirit with her Spirits of Beast Bane.

The bigger the headache the more she'll hate you, but nothing a few drinks can't fix.
Zyerne
I'm waiting for a response to my "how many" question a couple of posts back
klinktastic
QUOTE (Zyerne @ Jan 1 2011, 07:20 PM) *
I'm waiting for a response to my "how many" question a couple of posts back

4 of them and now they are in a confined area
SleepIncarnate
QUOTE (klinktastic @ Jan 1 2011, 04:27 PM) *
LOL! Yeah, you aren't making it easy on Riot. Alls I know is Riots a little more scared of Doc than Kim.

Yay me, I made an antisocial who's more inclined to heal you than hurt you, but she scares the hell out of everyone.
Kim
QUOTE (SleepIncarnate @ Jan 2 2011, 05:53 PM) *
Yay me, I made an antisocial who's more inclined to heal you than hurt you, but she scares the hell out of everyone.

Must be because she's so mean; saying the boy of about seven or eight years gave up hope and lacks initiative and drive.
J. Packer
Going to give the rest of the crew a chance to react before I take things farther.
SleepIncarnate
It's a dystopian future, Doc cares more than your average person..... she's just really good at hiding it (and charges for it).
J. Packer
It's all good material for your team. Some of you are harder than others, and this is an opportunity to see how you each react...
klinktastic
So are we just waiting on Z to post up a response to the situation in the IC channel?

Also, I'm getting surgery here in a like 3 hours. Probably gonna be about 6-7 hours before I'm back. But you all better be posting a lot tomorrow! I'll be bedridden for a day or two, so expect me to be on this shit like crazy.
klinktastic
Initiative Roll:
[ Spoiler ]

Just in case....
BlackHat
Editted some inner monologue into my last post, to fill it out, and to give Kreskins' POV before some new encounter shifts the conversation away. wink.gif
klinktastic
I'm back. With my perception roll, can I see colors of the gang? If not, here's a sensors + perception roll (remote controlling the sensors of the van - assuming sensors of 1 of the GMC Bulldog Van). If I manage to get a glimpse of the colors, I'll do a knowledge roll, to identify if they are another Go Gang from the UCAS sector (I'm guessing they might be rival gang to me)

Sensor Perception:
[ Spoiler ]

Street Knowledge - Denver Gangs:
[ Spoiler ]

BlackHat
If we're in a nice part of town, is the security rating particularly high? Not that Kreskin was paying that much attention, but do we think we're in an area where some gangers might start something, because there is nobody around? Or are the mansions along this road under enough surveillance that any unusual shootouts or car chases would draw the attention of the local police/lone-star/knight-errant/whoever?
BlackHat
Not that either of those possibilities are particularly conducive to our goal. :/
J. Packer
It is a much nicer neighborhood - but many of the homes would likely have private security. Otherwise, Knight Errant or even the ZDF could be called in.
J. Packer
The colors are pretty obvious to you - these bikers are members of the Fronts - taking their name from the Front Range. They are a UCAS gang, and while not actively involved in fights with you, aren't allies either.
klinktastic
QUOTE (J. Packer @ Jan 3 2011, 10:33 PM) *
The colors are pretty obvious to you - these bikers are members of the Fronts - taking their name from the Front Range. They are a UCAS gang, and while not actively involved in fights with you, aren't allies either.

I relayed the info I know to the group. I tried to sound smart and maybe get everyone organized back their with a leadership roll. No successes, so everyone can feel free to do whatever they want to. Everyone has some sense of what they're doing I'm not too concerned. Looks like a chase scene is coming up. Fortunately, since they're on bikes, everyone can try and shoot them. I'll delay my actions to the end of the turn and hopefully try and use some driving stunts to force the injured bikers into crashing or spinning out.

@JP - If this is a chase scene, should I use the stats for the GMC Bulldog? For everyone in the back? Can the windows be scrolled down? Or are they going to have to knock them out? Do the windows/doors count as partial cover for us as well? Also, what engagement range do you want to start off at? Long or medium would make sense. Based on their numbers and their top speed relative to mine, they'll be able to close the distance pretty easily.

@all - Remember, shooting from a moving vehicle gives you a -3 penalty to ranged combat. Also, for most weapons, it looks like the engagement range will be the range you will use for the modifier. Depending on your skill with your gun, it might be worth while to spend a whole IP aiming (since you get to add up to half your skill rounded down - ex skill of 4 lets you add +2, you'd need a 6 to get +3). Anyway, vehicle combat starts on 167 of the SR4A book, if you're interested in reading up.

Opposed Vehicle Test:
[ Spoiler ]
Kim
Ah, good to see the operation went well and it only took a few hours longer than you expected. smile.gif
klinktastic
QUOTE (Kim @ Jan 4 2011, 05:50 AM) *
Ah, good to see the operation went well and it only took a few hours longer than you expected. smile.gif

Thanks! Yeah, we got off to alittle delayed start. But I'm fairly pain free, without the help of to many meds. Looks like we're getting that chase scene. At least I didn't glitch.
J. Packer
Riot, you have initiative. You are starting out at Medium range, and have six motorcycles on your tail. Remember that you will need to burn at least one complex action per turn to keep the van on the road. Use the GMC Bulldog stats for your vehicle.
Kim
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jan 3 2011, 10:50 PM) *
Editted some inner monologue into my last post, to fill it out, and to give Kreskins' POV before some new encounter shifts the conversation away. wink.gif

I have been waiting for Zyerne to post, because I didn't know if it would change anything.
Edited my last post now, since it seems we're moving on.
BlackHat
Would you like the rest of us to roll initiative? or have you done this already for us?

I'm not sure there is much Kreskin will be able to do from the back of the van, but Angel might have some magic she can use, or I could see Wolf or Doc shooting out of a window, mid-car-chase.
J. Packer
Good point. Give me initiative rolls everyone. I was looking at it from the pure chase perspective, where the driver is the only initiative that matters. If you're going to start breaking out the back windows and firing at the bikers, I'll need to know when. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012