Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Denver Missions Team 2
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
Kim
QUOTE (J. Packer @ Jan 9 2011, 05:52 AM) *
I'd like some opinions on this:

I ran this adventure as a Table Level 1 - that is, assuming you're fairly green. In fact, you're built on fewer points than anticipated by the adventure. Did you feel appropriately challenged, or would you like for me to ramp up the challenge (and along with it, the rewards) for the next round?

I think we'd be dead if it wouldn't have been this easy. For me roleplay is more fun than roll play. Harder just seems you need more dice.
klinktastic
QUOTE (Kim @ Jan 9 2011, 05:01 PM) *
I think we'd be dead if it wouldn't have been this easy. For me roleplay is more fun than roll play. Harder just seems you need more dice.

Well, TR goes from 1-6. I think we can safely handle 2 or 3. We are not combat orient enough to handle anything higher than that. I'd rather not play TR 1, just because I'd rather be challenged. It's not about more dice, its about playing smart, efficiently, and making sure you're able to dictate the terms of any confrontation, combat or otherwise. TR 2 or 3 should provide a nice jump in challenge without making it impossible.

Also, since we're not all combat monsters, and we pick our fights properly, we should be ok to handle tougher combats. Bear in mind, now I'll have my drones and hopefully a grenade launcher.
J. Packer
I'm going to give us a little IRL time to get things where you want them to be. Feel free to use the IC thread to roleplay out who gets dropped off where, and then use the two threads to describe how you're using the time between Monday night and Saturday morning. If you want to get into any trouble during that time, just post in IC what you're up to - I'm happy to handle one on one situations during the slack period.
BlackHat
One quick question about how everyone is getting home. I assume since we didnt' want to go through security on the way in, we want to call up our coyotes to get back home? If so, that might be a good chance for Kreskin to see if Peaces really will get him in the 5x5 to talk to some smugglers. IIRC, the chop shop is in the CAS sector, so we'll also need a way for people to get from across that last border, sans vehicle - assuming everyone is going home to the original sector.
klinktastic
I dont know how long JP intends to have the chop shop crews fit it up. It shouldn't be more than an hour or two since the damage was superficial (no actual condition boxes of damage were actually taken). So its just a cosmetic fix, meaning one internal should be enough to repair it. Then drag a tag eraser over it to kill any tags, and viola, good as new.

During that time, we can hit up the bank and I'll be swinging by the nearest Best Buy/Comp USA to snag some parts to upgrade my processor.

@JP - Do you think we did enough RP with Peaches to warrent her as a contact? Definitely not for Striker or whatever his name was. But we RP'ed a fair amount with her.
J. Packer
Yeah, you will have to figure out how to get back to your respective homes. Now that we're not in the midst of a run that's all about getting through those borders, I will abstract any routine crossings to a Fake SIN rating + CHA + Etiquette roll with a threshold of 2, no option to buy successes. That's a little rougher than the RAW of a threshold of 1, but as the penalty is nothing stiffer than a 300Y bribe, I think it's warranted.

Peaches can be considered a 2/1 contact for the group, yes.
BlackHat
Can you bribe people with credsticks, given that you need a bank or something to transfer the money?

If not, Kreskin (at least) will have a hard time bribing anyone, except by bartering goods. biggrin.gif
BlackHat
QUOTE (J. Packer @ Jan 10 2011, 02:39 PM) *
Yeah, you will have to figure out how to get back to your respective homes. Now that we're not in the midst of a run that's all about getting through those borders, I will abstract any routine crossings to a Fake SIN rating + CHA + Etiquette roll with a threshold of 2, no option to buy successes. That's a little rougher than the RAW of a threshold of 1, but as the penalty is nothing stiffer than a 300Y bribe, I think it's warranted.

If we travel together, do we all need to succeed at that test, or just the driver?
If we need to pass 5 rolls, we're bound to fail at least one of them (probably Doc's). If that's the case, it would make more sense for Kreskin to split off from the rest of the team, before the first crossing.
Peaches can be considered a 2/1 contact for the group, yes.

Also, I'll post something IC shortly (after I get out of a meeting) where he'll try to contact Peaches, and see if she's busy. I'll have to read up on how the favor rules work, but I imagine a little name-drop to get someone on a list somewhere is probably not asking too much, but I don't really know how exclusive the club is. It's a stone's throw from a ghoul-den, apparently, so it can't be that fancy. biggrin.gif
J. Packer
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jan 10 2011, 12:52 PM) *
If we travel together, do we all need to succeed at that test, or just the driver?
If we need to pass 5 rolls, we're bound to fail at least one of them (probably Doc's). If that's the case, it would make more sense for Kreskin to split off from the rest of the team, before the first crossing.

Nah, I'd say that was a single test, with whoever is doing the talking making the roll, and using the lowest rating on all involved Fake SINs.

You know, I think I'll do some reading and see if there's more specifics about how you *use* a credstick... I may go back on my ruling and say you can transfer funds without a bank. Otherwise, it's an all or nothing proposition...
klinktastic
@JP - did Peaches want us to take her back to the CAS and allow us a free passage back? Is that something we could do?
J. Packer
QUOTE (klinktastic @ Jan 10 2011, 12:55 PM) *
@JP - did Peaches want us to take her back to the CAS and allow us a free passage back? Is that something we could do?

You could offer that, but it was not part of the arrangement, no.
klinktastic
@Z - I think you meant your last post for the OOC

@JP - Shot a text to her, feel free to respond however you want. I know Cody wants to talk to her, might useful to kill two birds with one stone.
Zyerne
You're right, I did. So....

Didn't we already let Peaches out? I'd assume she's made her own way back by now.
BlackHat
QUOTE (J. Packer @ Jan 10 2011, 02:54 PM) *
Nah, I'd say that was a single test, with whoever is doing the talking making the roll, and using the lowest rating on all involved Fake SINs.

Okay, then, as long as Riot or Kreskin does the talking, we'll probably be fine crossing as a team.
You know, I think I'll do some reading and see if there's more specifics about how you *use* a credstick... I may go back on my ruling and say you can transfer funds without a bank. Otherwise, it's an all or nothing proposition...

No idea, I imagine it is one of those things that nobody thought through very clearly.
If they're meant to work like debit cards, every transaction would require a SIN verification.
Rereading the writeup in SR4A (pg 267) suggests they are meant to function more as cash (and specifically says that no ID is needed to use them), which probably works well as long as it is in round numbers, but not so large as to be unusable. I think it is a lot like if he paid us all with a thousand-dollar-bill (or more accurately, a 5000 dollar bill and a 2000 dollar bill). Its cash, and we could go spend it somewhere like cash, but we can't easily split it ourselves, and if we went into a corner gas-station and asked them to break it for us, they probably couldn't because they don't keep that much cash around (and probably don't deal in a lot of credsticks, anyway).

In real life, you could go to any bank with a big bill like that and ask them to break it for you, and they probably would. You probably wouldn't need an account with them, and although they would (very) carefully check that the currency is legit, they don't really care who you are (unless you do this sort of thing regularly).

Still, if all I have in my wallet is a hundred dollar bill, I can't really bribe some guy with thirty-bucks. I either hand him the one piece of currency I have, or I don't.

That said, if we all travel together, and we get busted, our bribe becomes 1500, which, incidentally, is exactly the amount of money we have on 5 different credsticks. So, if it comes up on the way home, I don't expect it to be much of a problem.
BlackHat
QUOTE (Zyerne @ Jan 10 2011, 03:26 PM) *
You're right, I did. So....

Didn't we already let Peaches out? I'd assume she's made her own way back by now.

Yeah, she hopped out as soon as we crossed over and got away from the ghouls... but I dunno if she went back across on foot (I sure as hell wouldn't walk past that ghoul-hole for a while) or called up someone to give her a lift, or what. Maybe she's just been doing some other business on this side of the fence for a while. Its only been like a half-hour.
Zyerne
Speaking of which, did Kim just get out of a moving van?
BlackHat
Not 100% sure what Angel is asking for with the credstick, either. Is that in response to Riot asking if anyone had a real SIN we could use to make the transfers? In any case, we can give whoever is going to handle that both credsticks, but we'll need another round of meetups (unless we just stop at a bank on the way home) to pay out to everyone.
Kim
Kim is asking for your credstick... the one with 1500 on it..... so she can leave
BlackHat
:-O Give a girl an inch, and she'll take a mile, eh?

I'm not sure why Kreskin would need to show up at a hotel in a suit, but he isn't the kind of guy to turn a lady down when she invites him back to her place, either. wink.gif IC up shortly.

Also, like Wolf mentioned, Kreskin didn't start talking about the money situation until the team was pulling away from the mafia house (no need to air our dirty business in front of them), so you might want to edit the last post to ask Riot to pull over after Kreskin cashes you out or something - or wait for us to stop at a light and bolt. Either way.
Kim
We're a few minutes away from that place already, and unless Riot is planning to take her hostage I'll just assume he pulls over when she wants to leave. If however he doesn't, I'll change my post.
klinktastic
@Kim - Ah, didn't realize you were jumping out. Just adjust your older post to say you're making an exit and I'll post up a pull over once Cody says ok.
Kim
QUOTE (J. Packer @ Jan 11 2011, 12:42 AM) *
You search the relevant blogs, social media sites and the Zagat reviews and decide that the place that best suits your need is called Artiste, and is located on the 18th floor of the Heritage building in an area known as The Hub - what used to be downtown Denver.

Does that mean it's 2 border crossings and over an hour away from Kim's hotel?
J. Packer
QUOTE (Kim @ Jan 10 2011, 05:40 PM) *
Does that mean it's 2 border crossings and over an hour away from Kim's hotel?

One crossing, and maybe 20 minutes, half hour tops.
BlackHat
Is there a way to make the map on the wiki bigger? Everyone seems to be able to tell what district various places are in, but me. smile.gif

I think Kreskin is going to drop 4 of his 5 karma raising his Etiquette to 2 (which he's exercised this run). Do you want to use the rules where we have to spend time training skills, or will that expenditure take effect soon enough to help us at the first security checkpoint?
Kim
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jan 11 2011, 01:50 AM) *
Is there a way to make the map on the wiki bigger? Everyone seems to be able to tell what district various places are in, but me. smile.gif

Download the picture and use photoshop.
BlackHat
Hmm, still can't read most of the streetnames. DAMN MY OLD MAN EYES!
Maybe I'll dig around and see if I can find an official SR Denver map anywhere.
J. Packer
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jan 10 2011, 06:09 PM) *
Hmm, still can't read most of the streetnames. DAMN MY OLD MAN EYES!
Maybe I'll dig around and see if I can find an official SR Denver map anywhere.

Somewhere - I lost the link - there's a google maps mashup that breaks it down. I think it's 2063, so you'll have to allow for the CAS taking over the Aztalan sector and the like.
BlackHat
If Angel wants Kreskin to arrive by 8:30, and Peaches is busy right now, maybe it makes sense to try her again later. If she's a nightowl, I'm sure the 5x5 is open way past 2am.
klinktastic
At this point, we need the following:

@Z - we can cash you out with two 1500 credit sticks if you wanna jet. Up to you.

@BH - Roll up a ettiquette + charisma + 3 (we all have rating 3 SINs)....don't fail

@JP - Once the roll is made, I figure we have a little time to kill, probably not worth much in the form of RP. Once we cash one another out with the credsticks, Cody should be able to make it out by 8:30, since he doesn't need to come with to take the van back. You already know what I'm doing during the van repair time.

@Sleep - I know you're busy, just interject when you have a chance. We can always amend posts accordingly.
BlackHat
QUOTE (klinktastic @ Jan 11 2011, 10:12 AM) *
@BH - Roll up a ettiquette + charisma + 3 (we all have rating 3 SINs)....don't fail

I'll post the roll up in a second. Why don't we both do a little talking (since it might seem suspicious if the driver is silent) but we'll have Kreskin do most of the talking. IOW, let's turn it into a teamwork roll, and have you assist me. Getting an extra die or two probably won't make a lot of difference, but there is some small chance it will save us $300, and little-to-no chance of making things worse (don't glitch).

I'll also post as though I have spent the karma, and if JP decides he doesn't want us "leveling up" until we're safely home, he can lop a die off the end (or two, if you manage 2+ hits on the assist).

@JP - Once the roll is made, I figure we have a little time to kill, probably not worth much in the form of RP. Once we cash one another out with the credsticks, Cody should be able to make it out by 8:30, since he doesn't need to come with to take the van back. You already know what I'm doing during the van repair time.

Yeah, if it is going to take an hour or so to work on the van, and we're already cashed out, Kreskin will break off from the team, there, head back to the PCC on his own, and retrieve his suit, and do his best to get back to the hotel in the UCAS sector (another 3 border crossings, I think). Ya know, it would almost be cheaper to just rent a new place in the UCAS if that is where everyone lives. OOC, which sector does Riot and Doc call home?
klinktastic
I'm in the CAS. And yeah, the teamwork roll makes sense.

Cash-wise, I made 3k. You keep 1k of it. I'll take the 2k stick we got from Omar Chavez. Should be able to get my parts for the response upgrade for that much. Only had one hit on my negotiation roll.

Teamwork Ettiquette Roll:

[ Spoiler ]

@JP - Actually, how do you want to handle edge? I have one more edge left for the night. If I use it, will I be replenished for the next run? Or how does that work?
BlackHat
QUOTE (klinktastic @ Jan 11 2011, 10:12 AM) *
@Z - we can cash you out with two 1500 credit sticks if you wanna jet. Up to you.

Also, if we do this, it'd have to be Riot's original credstick we cash out with, which means Kreskin wouldn't be able to take the big credstick anymore (or that he'd need to make change separately and come back). Doesn't much matter either way, but it seems like Kreskin should stick around until we can make change, and that, ideally, we do that before or right after dropping off the van.
BlackHat
Teamwork Ettiquette Roll:

Shouldn't you have a few more dice? charisma 2 + Ett 1 + Sin 3 + ???
Not sure if First impression or pheromones would apply (seems like they would), but either way, I see 6, 8, 9, or 11 dice, not 7. biggrin.gif
@JP - Actually, how do you want to handle edge? I have one more edge left for the night. If I use it, will I be replenished for the next run? Or how does that work?

Also, not much point in using edge. You didn't glitch, and got 2 hits, which i the most dice I can get from your teamwork, anyway.
klinktastic
Well, if Kim has two 1500 and Wolf has two 1500, then we have a 1500, 5000, and 2000 left over. At that point, I can drop you Cody and Doc at the "bank" and take my 2000. That gives you 6500 to split, 3000 and 3500. The Doc and you can head your separate ways. If Doc still wants a ride, we can handwave that I pick her up.

I didn't use my SIN bonus. Since I figure they're looking at all of the SINs. That's a one shot bonus. I'm adding FI and EPR though, since its in person and its always a new guard.
J. Packer
Alright, some rulings:

1. I'm going to say that most shops that deal in things of a high enough value could cash your certified credsticks down for you. They'd have the equipment necessary to do that or the credsticks from previous purchases.

2. As for locations, if memory serves Doc lives in the UCAS, Wolf lives in the PCC, call it West of town, Angel is in a hotel in the Northwest, up near Boulder, in the PCC.

3. Edge is refreshed at the start of the next run. So if you use it now, you'll not have any left until Saturday in case you get into any one on one trouble, but that's controllable.

4. The roll is just fine - and don't forget, Riot could drive from the passenger seat. smile.gif
klinktastic
QUOTE (J. Packer @ Jan 11 2011, 09:40 AM) *
3. Edge is refreshed at the start of the next run. So if you use it now, you'll not have any left until Saturday in case you get into any one on one trouble, but that's controllable.

If its ok, knowing this rule, I would have edged my negotiation roll to get my parts for the hardware upgrade. Cool if I reroll with edge up front? Or can I only reroll my 6 failed dice?
BlackHat
QUOTE (klinktastic @ Jan 11 2011, 10:34 AM) *
Cash-wise, I made 3k. You keep 1k of it. I'll take the 2k stick we got from Omar Chavez. Should be able to get my parts for the response upgrade for that much. Only had one hit on my negotiation roll.

okay, so you could give Wolf your original 1500 when he leaves, and take the 2000 for yourself.
At that point, you're cashed out, Wolf's cashed out, Angel is cashed out, and I need to give 1,500 of the 5,000 credstick to Doc. I have a credstick with 1325 on it, which I coudl use for a partial pay-off if she's looking to bolt before we find someone who can make change (and trusts anyone enough to let them owe her $175).... but assuming its not too hard to make change (and I assuem a chop shop deals in a lot of anonymous credstick transactions), lets plan for the 3 of us to stick together as far as the shop, where we can break the 5000 up. I'll give 1,500 of that to Doc, which settles her tab, and there will be 3500 remaining, in change, which coveres Kreskin's share as well. Then we can all split.
BlackHat
QUOTE (J. Packer @ Jan 11 2011, 10:40 AM) *
2. As for locations, if memory serves Doc lives in the UCAS, Wolf lives in the PCC, call it West of town, Angel is in a hotel in the Northwest, up near Boulder, in the PCC.

Oh, based on timestamps, I thought Wolf and Angel were getting out in UCAS (and that might have still been their intention, since they might not have been going straight home or wanting us to have a clue where they live). However, is that the same hotel she asked Kreskin to meet her at? Cause if its in the PCC then dropping by from his place should be a lot easier than if it is in the UCAS.

Also, if Doc is in the UCAS, she might not want to border-cross to the CAS before getting her cut (especially if she'd have to get back on her own), so maybe before the first border crossing, we'll be able to stop somewhere to make change, then we can dump her UCAS-side, before dropping the van off.
BlackHat
Also, once the van is fixed up, couldn't Riot have the van's auto-pilot take it back home, unmanned? Then he wouldn't need to take an extra two border crossings to drop it off, and there wouldn't be any SINless people or illegal gear aboard, and, in theory, the van is registered with a PCC-side business, and shouldn't have much trouble getting home on its own.

Maybe he'd still want to stay connected in case trouble comes up, but that seems like a safer plan.
BlackHat
Alright, some rulings:

Anything one way or the other on spending edge immediately?

Here is my roll for the first border crossing: (lop two dice off the right, if edge cannot be spent, yet)

Charisma 5 + Etiquette 2 + First-Impression 2 + SIN 3 + Teamwork 2 = 14 dice
14d6.hits(5) = 7 hits (6 if edge is unspent)
No issues at crossing #1
BlackHat
Heh, the logistics of getting everyone paid and dropped off, after the run, is proving to be more complex than the run itself. Next time someone offers us coyote-service, we need to negotiate for round-trip tickets. biggrin.gif
sabs
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jan 11 2011, 04:00 PM) *
Heh, the logistics of getting everyone paid and dropped off, after the run, is proving to be more complex than the run itself. Next time someone offers us coyote-service, we need to negotiate for round-trip tickets. biggrin.gif

Or do what my character did smile.gif

record everything, and map the underground passages onto your personal mapsoft of denver.

smile.gif
That reminds me, I hope i have enough money to buy some software.. sigh.
Kim
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jan 11 2011, 04:48 PM) *
Oh, based on timestamps, I thought Wolf and Angel were getting out in UCAS (and that might have still been their intention, since they might not have been going straight home or wanting us to have a clue where they live). However, is that the same hotel she asked Kreskin to meet her at? Cause if its in the PCC then dropping by from his place should be a lot easier than if it is in the UCAS.

Kim's hotel is straight to the west from where we were, just past the 2 borders on the other side of commerce city.
BlackHat
1. I'm going to say that most shops that deal in things of a high enough value could cash your certified credsticks down for you. They'd have the equipment necessary to do that or the credsticks from previous purchases.

Is there a test of some sort to locate such a shop? And is asking a shop-keeper to make change out of the ordinary, or is it like doing the same thing with a large bill in real life? Also, would they usually require that we buy something before making change? IOW, can we find some place to make change while we're still in the UCAS (to avoid Doc having to make extra crossings)? We need a place that deals in sales in the thousands of nuyen, so its not like we can pop into a quick-E-mart and pick up a slurpy and ask the guy to break a 5K stick for us.

I still think the chop-shop would be a perfect place to make change at, but Doc'll have a pretty tough time getting home afterward (unless Riot drives her home, which would add 2 additional crossings for him, but he can probably make them).
BlackHat
QUOTE (Kim @ Jan 11 2011, 11:03 AM) *
Kim's hotel is straight to the west from where we were, just past the 2 borders on the other side of commerce city.

So it is in the PCC. Is that the same hotel you invited Kreskin to show up at? and does that mean Angel is actually staying with the van until we get to the PCC, or did she really want to hop out in the UCAS and take a taxi back on her own?
Kim
QUOTE (sabs @ Jan 11 2011, 05:03 PM) *
Or do what my character did smile.gif

record everything, and map the underground passages onto your personal mapsoft of denver.

I'm guessing the smugglers protect their routes.
BlackHat
QUOTE (Kim @ Jan 11 2011, 11:09 AM) *
I'm guessing the smugglers protect their routes.

Or the ghouls. Seriously. I want to visit the 5x5, sometime, but I'm not about to step outside for a smoke. biggrin.gif
Zyerne
Wolf's money drop is in the PCC as his his flophouse. However, yes, he's getting out in the UCAS.

As to the 5x5, he might know some people there. I can't remember if I asked it before or just thought it, so here it is again...

@JP: Any of the people from Wolf's backstory ever mention the 5x5?
BlackHat
Well, we can certain make a drop in the PCC with relative ease, but if Wolf would rather settle his tab, now, it sounds like we can manage that (Riot can hand him his original credstick). I don't think it'll make much of a difference to any of us (but we may need to go back and make some edits, IC).
J. Packer
I'm fine with spending edge on rolls either way. I'm less lenient with "that was a crappy roll, I will retroactively add edge" and would prefer to spend edge to reroll failures at that point, but this time you didn't know when it was going to refresh, so feel free to do whatever works for you.

Sleep is looking pretty busy right now, so I'm going to suggest that she got off before the crossing into the CAS. You'd just need to find a place to break that credstick up before you cross the border. I'm not going to require any rolls for that, just RP it.

Looking online, Kreskin, you'll see that the Omni Interlocken is north and west of your doss, up Hwy 36 towards Boulder, but still in the PCC as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012