Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Denver Missions Team 2
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
Kim
If the character rolls a critical glitch, he not only goes last in each
Initiative Pass, but he also loses one of his extra actions (if any); this
does not affect characters who have only one action per turn.
Zyerne
Initiative (8d6.hits(5)=4)

Init = 12
BlackHat
QUOTE (J. Packer @ Jan 5 2011, 08:28 PM) *
To keep things a little realistic, I did ask for folks who could post once a day. If that's the case, we'd be lucky to get through one IP a day. Some of us are just junkies is all. smile.gif

Right, with PHP games one post a day is probably faster than most other games and I would still only expect to get one pass a day done since any of us could be busy on a given day.
I think its unrealistic to try to get a whole combat done in a day unless it is a very short one. This is just the nature of the format - combat goes slow, and is one part of the game when everyone's participation more or less levels out. smile.gif
Kim
With everyone able to post once a day it could take 5 days to get one ip done, so 1 turn a day would be very fast. With JP rolling initiative for us at least we wouldn't have to wait a day before we find out who's to act. I don't think I'd like him to roll anything other than perception and initiative though.

I was trying to find out where we are on the map, but can't find Highway 2, or is it the 225?
J. Packer
Alright, looks like I've got some cleanup to do - I misread the driving rolls before as being a cutoff attempt as opposed to the initial opposed test to get more distance. I'll go in and clean that up as best I can.

As far as initiative, I'll take what we have down on the last page and add in Doc going last - I suppose there are worse places to glitch than initiative - and we'll proceed from there.

J. Packer
QUOTE (sabs @ Jan 5 2011, 02:30 PM) *
Which begs to ask, how did the cops get there so quickly smile.gif

I believe the cops used "Building Dramatic Tension" and "Combat Time Dilation" to make it there. wink.gif
J. Packer
Help me understand what you were rolling for there, Klink. The first opposed test is to break away, right? The second is to try to run the lead biker off the road?
Kim
QUOTE (J. Packer @ Jan 6 2011, 04:36 PM) *
I believe the cops used "Building Dramatic Tension" and "Combat Time Dilation" to make it there. wink.gif

Someone could have noticed the big guns you were hiding in the middle of the street and warned the cops. They could have been on their way without sirens while you were talking and when the shooting started they put them on.
Zyerne
With init 12, Wolf is next I believe. I'll go ahead and post up IP1 so you're not waiting on me later.
Kim
QUOTE (J. Packer @ Jan 6 2011, 04:40 PM) *
Help me understand what you were rolling for there, Klink. The first opposed test is to break away, right? The second is to try to run the lead biker off the road?

Don't tell him Klink, he'll kill us all!
He should first explain his new houserules. smile.gif
Zyerne
Dice gods are not with me it seems. Oh well, I wanted to miss anyway...
Kim
Posted what Kim does when it's her turn, I'm leaving for 8 hours or so.
klinktastic
Hold up everyone. We need to fix what's going on here. For turn 2

Chase Combat Turn Sequence

Chase combat is in many ways similar to regular combat. Here is the sequence for resolving Chase combat:

Step 1. Opposed Vehicle Test.
[Opposed Vehicle Test
At the beginning of the first Chase Combat Turn, each driver makes a Vehicle Test. For every vehicle still in play on the driver’s side during
the Chase combat add a +2 modifier to the test. For every vehicle on the opposing side apply a –2 modifier. Then compare the Speed values
of all vehicles on each side. Whichever side has the greater Speed value adds a +1 modifier for every 10 points (rounded down) that their
Speed exceeds their opponents. The drivers with the most hits on either side are compared in an Opposed Vehicle Test. Ties are broken
first by Edge, then Reaction, then Handling. The rules for glitches and critical glitches on Vehicle Tests apply here.
The winning driver may change the Engagement Range for the vehicles on his side by one step with regards to all vehicles on the opposing
side(s). At the beginning of each subsequent Chase Combat Turn, if no one has succeeded to Break Off (below), each driver makes a new Vehicle Test.]

-I rolled 1 success
-JP rolled 2 successes for the guy in front
-5 other guys need to roll

= Result of these rolls, determines distance. We are currently in short range. If any of the bikers get 0 or 1 successes, I move them to medium range. If they get 2+ successes, they stay in short range.

Step 2. Roll Initiative. Roll Initiative as usual. All the normal rules for Initiative apply.

Riot = 15
Zy = 12
Kim = 8
Cody = 7
Etc etc

Step 3. Begin Chase Combat Turn.

Step 4. Declare Action/Stunts. Instead of actions, vehicles execute stunts. Like regular combat, stunts may be Free, Simple, or Complex. See Chase Stunts.

I declared a cut-off. Break off can only be done at long range, which will be very hard for us to pull off given we're out numbered.

[Cut Off (Short Range Only): The driver tries to cut off another vehicle in Short Range, forcing it to crash. Make an Opposed Vehicle Test. The loser must make a Vehicle Test to avoid crashing, with the net hits generated from this test serving as a negative modifier.]

*Note, this is not the same Opposed Vehicle Test as above used to determine engagement range. As you'll note, that one is specifically regarding the beginning of the turn. This is a pure roll-off, which I roll my 11d6 and he rolls his reaction + pilot + handling*

I've rolled 6 successes, with his pool, he needs to beat that. Whoever loses, makes another Vehicle Test at 3 + net hits.

Step 5. Resolve Actions/Stunts by Initiative Order. Resolve as normal, from highest Initiative Score to lowest.

Step 6. Resolve Actions/Stunts in subsequent passes.

Step 7. End of Chase Turn. The Chase Turn ends. Go back to step 1. Continue resolving chase combat until all opposing vehicles
involved have crashed, broken off, or been destroyed.
Zyerne
That's pretty much what we're doing except actions have been posted ahead of the resolving of the cut off attempt so that those of us who might not be around later aren't holding things up.
klinktastic
No, we are getting tripped up at Step 1 currently.

Also, we're trying to figure out if the penalties described here apply too all "Opposed Vehicle Tests" from page 170

[ At the beginning of the first Chase Combat Turn, each driver makes a Vehicle Test. For every vehicle still in play on the driver’s side during the Chase combat add a +2 modifier to the test. For every vehicle on the opposing side apply a –2 modifier. Then compare the Speed values of all vehicles on each side. Whichever side has the greater Speed value adds a +1 modifier for every 10 points (rounded down) that their Speed exceeds their opponents. The drivers with the most hits on either side are compared in an Opposed Vehicle Test. Ties are broken first by Edge, then Reaction, then Handling.

The rules for glitches and critical glitches on Vehicle Tests apply here. The winning driver may change the Engagement Range for the vehicles on his side by one step with regards to all vehicles on the opposing side(s). At the beginning of each subsequent Chase Combat Turn, if no one has succeeded to Break Off (below), each driver makes a new Vehicle Test.]

I'm under the impression that this is only for the opposed roll at the beginning of each turn to determine range. JP thinks that its applied to all Opposed Rolls. I'm trying to get his interpretation, because I'll have been rolling incorrect dice amounts and we'll have to redo everything. In which case, we will be stopping shortly.
J. Packer
Alright, y'all. I think I've unfucked my upfuckery in the thread earlier, and having all of your rolls was handy. I think it's pretty well resolved at this point.
Zyerne
What I'm saying is that once that's resolved, myself and Kim have actions waiting to go as we may not be around when that happens.

Sure, if this was tabletop we'd be sitting at step one til it was resolved as everyone would be right there when it got to step 2. It's not, so in the interests of keeping things moving when it is.. well, you get the idea.
klinktastic
Nope Z, you're on point. And that's what we want. We want pre-rolls. JP is capable enough to work it in.

As a side note, we worked em. Do we wanna go back and finish em off?
Zyerne
OOC: Maybe, we could load up the van with a couple of Harleys and whatever else we can grab.

IC: Not a chance, we're clear, we keep moving.
klinktastic
Yeah, you're right. I should stop looking at team 1's thread. They're pulling in an extra 8500 from their shootout.
Zyerne
Yeah, I saw that. On the other hand, this isn't DnD smile.gif
BlackHat
Agreed. Right now we've wounded a couple of them, but they'll live and probably forget it ever happened. If we pull a U-turn and start finishing them off, or stealing their gear, they're gonna have a grudge... plus we're still on a deadline. My OOC and IC reactions would be similar to the ghouls. It would be nice to have some extra lewt, but its not worth the distraction/risk if that causes us to fail in our mission, so I say we should keep going. If we need a bike that badely, we can murder gangers when we're off the clock. wink.gif
klinktastic
Well done everyone. We're in good shape. Even if we didnt come away with extra phat lewts, we did the job efficiently, which should help our street cred and reputation.

@JP - On to the next encounter!!!!
sabs
At least you didn't kill a triad boss, and punk a Yak one turning him into a 10 point enemy for free wink.gif
J. Packer
For every positive to having the "exciting" encounters, there are drawbacks. smile.gif I'd never read much about the concepts of street cred, notoriety and the like before stepping into the GMs seat...
klinktastic
Yeah, I don't really know what street cred and rep do mechanically....I guess I'll read about it. I heard that these missions take the reputation and street credit making more of a difference.

But yeah, Johnny is not going to be your friend. And, the Yaks are probably not going to give you jobs in Denver. Or the Triads for that matter. I guess you'll need to find out who else Johnny or An had beef with, maybe make friends with their enemies.
J. Packer
Thankfully, there are factions aplenty in Denver. Add in all the thrill gangs and go gangs, and you've a nearly endless supply.
klinktastic
Well yeah, but you have to assume that the Triads, Yakuza, Mafia, and Korshari are bigger players in the organized crime realm.
sabs
I'm a good face.. I plan on talking to Jonny's superiors smile.gif
J. Packer
QUOTE (sabs @ Jan 6 2011, 03:15 PM) *

Will you be writing a sternly-worded letter, as well?

"Dear Sirs, this letter is to complain about the rough handling I had at the hands of one of your customer service representatives..."

Sorry, it just sounded like you were going to take it up with his shift manager. smile.gif
Faraday
QUOTE (sabs @ Jan 6 2011, 02:15 PM) *

Hope Johnny doesn't remember me killing his entire team along with half the triads. >_>
klinktastic
Lol. Well you might take a reputation hit, but you'll probably gain some street cred for beating the shit out of Yaks and Triads at the same time.

@All - We just continuing on to the drop? Montebello district? Anyone had any connections to the mafia?
J. Packer
I took it as assumed that, once you made it past the bikers, you'd head for the drop.

Now the question is just who gets to do the introductions by way of the buzzer?
klinktastic
Well I assumed its next to the driverside door?
J. Packer
Yes, but you could have approached on foot as well. Regardless, I'll wait for your compatriots to chime in a bit before proceeding, just in case.
klinktastic
Oh...is it a door sized for a car? Or is this just man-sized door?
J. Packer
QUOTE (klinktastic @ Jan 6 2011, 03:52 PM) *
Oh...is it a door sized for a car? Or is this just man-sized door?

Standard two big iron gates. A driveway leads up to it, and into the property. Car sized, easily big enough for the van. Could probably get a larger panel van type vehicle in there.
SleepIncarnate
Doc knows when to keep her mouth shut. And I'm going to bed (it's 3:30 AM here)
klinktastic
Ah ok. Just checking. I guess, if there's a welcoming party, we can get out. Otherwise, we can drive up in style.....

@JP - Question. I mean, should we just return the van to Denim? Do I think that the Johnson would be happy if I swung by an Ironsider shop and got a quick repair, tag erase, and otherwise "clean it up" before returning it to them?
klinktastic
Also, did you want a list of common rolls from all of us?

I'm about to eat dinner, afk for a while. Here's an ettiquette roll if needed.

Ettiquette Roll:
[ Spoiler ]

J. Packer
QUOTE (SleepIncarnate @ Jan 6 2011, 04:01 PM) *
Doc knows when to keep her mouth shut. And I'm going to bed (it's 3:30 AM here)

This is a social situation, so I can see that. 'Night!

You made no arrangements with the Koshari, but everyone likes it when you return a borrowed vehicle in better condition than when you borrowed it. smile.gif
J. Packer
QUOTE (klinktastic @ Jan 6 2011, 04:07 PM) *
Also, did you want a list of common rolls from all of us?

Yeah, when you get a chance to update the Wiki. You can use team 1 as an example, as they have a little format full of common rolls that I might use. Mostly initiative and perception, actually.
BlackHat
QUOTE (J. Packer @ Jan 6 2011, 05:38 PM) *
Now the question is just who gets to do the introductions by way of the buzzer?

Looks like we're doing it from the van (so its probably easiest for the driver to do some introductory talking), but Kreskin is always happy to take point socially. smile.gif
klinktastic
I mean, not so concerned who does the talking. But is the buzzer a push to talk kinda thing?
J. Packer
More of a basic button. "Ring Bell for Admittance" below it. Connected to a dumb terminal of some type. It does have a small LED screen on it, but it's not lit up.
klinktastic
Question - Should we make a page under our team's page for all the personalities we've met so far? Or is that something you're going to work on after the mission I would say you could put it under the generic campaign info....but team 2 has more NPCs alive now. And they have different dispositions.
Zyerne
Disposition: Not Dead?
klinktastic
LOL....no...as in the Triads and Yakuza probably are neutral towards us. The other group...not so much.
J. Packer
Yeah, there are a whole lot of recommendations at the end on how to handle things like NPCs, new contacts and the like.
klinktastic
Oh really! Hmm, gosh...I'm having a hard time not looking at the mission. Can't wait to finish it to read it. Should be pretty interesting to see where we could have done better, or made more adventageous decisions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012