Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
Bastard
1738 Monday 08 January 2063 - Cooper's Firearms, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

After seeking other methods, Marquis finally decides that a bottle of acid etch will have to do the trick. It is usually used more "constructively" but the payment for the job will more than cover a new bottle. He empties the contents of the can into the shop sink, letting the ring hitt the surface. Probably not hurting them any, but it isnt like he is trying to keep them in good shape. He refills the can with the acid etch, placing the rings in carefully this time, but just not to splash himself. He hides the can under the sink, not from anyone in particular, just out of sight.

Before exiting the shop, Marq checks his clothes, not wanting to bring any unwanted chemicals in contact with his Caddi. Finding nothing he grabs his punked out leather jacket, checks his twin gold Guardians, and heads for the door. The heavy metal locks behind him, as he steps into the alley.

A few minutes later, the Cadillac rumbles out of the back alley and into another. Cutting in and out of backroads and sidestreets, the car returns to the garage where it started the day. The alarm twirps to let the owner know that it is armed, before he enters the residence.
bclements
00:35:30 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Capitol Hill Terrace , Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

"Sure Zeyda, I'm interested. What kind of bodyguarding would a decker need anyway?"
grendel
00:36:04 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Capitol Hill Terrace , Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Zeyda chuckles drily.

"Ordinarily, it's just watching their meat bod while they do something dangerous in the matrix. This one's a little different, though, apparently he needs to make a trip into the Barrens. Didn't say why, just that he needed protection, wheels, and a GPS unit if available. 1000 nuyen.gif for the whole deal. If you're interested, I'll set-up a lunch meeting between the two of you tomorrow here at the Landing."
Slipshade
09:14:31 Monday 08 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen - Main Dining Hall

Giving a sigh of relief and a rueful shake of his head, Max pushes open the door to The Respite. The haze of astral space is lessened here in the interior of the soup kitchen. It is a place that these people can come to for hot food and a little shelter away from the deadly streets. The edge of fear and desperation while still present is dulled by the escape The Respite provides. The kitchen staff moves to and fro across the room, darting in and out of the kitchen proper. The number of SINless has steadily grown over the past few months Max has volunteered, but the staff has not. Even with the added pressure the volunteers at The Respite somehow manage to plaster a smile across their faces and plod on. Maybe it is because they know they are doing some good or maybe it is because they are just happy that their situation isn’t quite as bad as those they help, Max didn’t know, but what ever the reason they put on a good face for those less fortunate.

Max’s presence at the door garners some attention. The regulars have become used to his appearance, but there are a number of new faces that murmur and cringe at the sight of Max’s stone-like complexion. He ignores the stares and smiles at some of the more familiar faces in the crowd.

“Hey Trancer.” Max says to a youth of no more than 12 years. “How’s your mom?”

“Oi, Professor. Better, thanks fur askin. Two months sobber” The young kid with a mat of ratty brown hair replies with a grin. “Thanks for getting her into the clinic.”

Trancer's mother had become addicted to BTL when Max had met the young boy at the soup kitchen. Max had taken a liking to the young boy. He was one of the rare ones that the barrens hadn’t worn down yet. Precocious as most young boys are, he was kind of a pet project for Max, who didn’t want to see Trancer's sharp mind go to waste. Seeing the predicament the child was in, Max footed the bill to get his mother into a good rehab clinic.

“Are you still studying, like I told you too?” He inquires.

“Yah.” He boys tone sounds dejected “It’s been the only problem with mom being sober. “She won’t let me outta the apartment until I finish with those lessons you gave her.”

Max smiles. “Good. I’ll have her let me know when you finish them and I will get her some more.”

“Ah, man don’t do that”

“I’ll try to make them more interesting for you this time, but you still have to do them.” Max had given Trancer’s mom a number of lesson plans to help her and Trancer get an education. They were SINless, but Max had promised to get Trancer into a real school if he applied himself. By the looks of it Trancer’s mom was going to make sure he did.

‘Good, the kid has a sharp mind and maybe, just maybe a bit of magical talent is him.’ Trancer’s aura was always very vibrant, more so than most children his age.

“Mom’s in the kitchen helping out if you want to go see her.” Trancer replied trying to move the discussion away from studying.

“I will. Is Keira in there too?” Had not seen the young elven woman since he had entered the building.

“Think so,” Trancer answered. “So you gonna to ask her out yet?”

Max shot the boy a sour look. “Your to smart for your own good, kid.”

“Natch, Chummer.”
bclements
00:36:31 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Capitol Hill Terrace , Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

"Sign me up. Lunch at the Landing, say noon? Only one problem: if this is a rush job for him, I'm not going to be able to do it tomorrow night. I can remedy that by not charging him, in return for my job."
grendel
00:36:53 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Capitol Hill Terrace , Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

"Noon, then. I think it's a little bit of a rush, but I got the impression that he wasn't going to wait around until sundown to go. Those particulars you can discuss better with him, though. I'll catch you later."
grendel
17:52:37 Monday 08 January 2063 - Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Eyes finds it nearly impossible to concentrate on anything, with the noise from downstairs filtering up to the bar, the constant bumps and brushes as people move past him, and the ever-present haze of smoke and alcohol. Even Aria's smoky angelic voice does nothing to relax the knots of tension drawn tight across his shoulders.

Finally, Zeyda's meeting finishes, and the fixer motions across the bar to Eyes.

"Hey, thanks for waiting. How're things holding up?"

"Fine. What's up?" Eyes doesn't mean to sound rude, but he is distinctly uncomfortable here in such a large social setting.

"I've got a dedicated information request here. Did you read about the shooting that happened yesterday? That ex-Ren Raku programmer? I've got a friend who wants to know the real story behind the killing. It's a 2k bonus and 200 nuyen.gif per day to run down everything you can about who, what, when, where, and most importantly, why. Interested?"
grendel
06:14:11 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Apartment 875, Parkewood Village Apartments, Tacoma

The machine crawls down the endless corridor, dragging its broken and useless legs behind it. Its progress is slow and torturous, the muscles in its arms quivering with effort. The floor is slick with blood and mucous, effluvium from the thousand slaughtered bodies that litter the hall. Hands, hooked by rigor mortis into inhuman claws, scraped at the machine as it moved past. Behind it, clearly audible, were the mechanical sounds of butchery: armored torsos mounting servo-motor driven reverse-articulated legs , serrated claws of flashing surgical steel ripping with the power of myomer muscles, (meta)humans drowning in their own blood, gurgling their last breath through exposed throats and lungs. The machine paused in exhaustion, shaking the sweat from its eyes and seeing its reflection in the bloody floor.

Todd screamed, lunging out of bed to stand in the chill air of his apartment for a moment before collapsing to the floor. Slowly, too slowly, the remains of the nightmare faded, and he made his way into the bathroom. Splashing some cold water on his face, he stared at the dark circles beneath his eyes. Sleep was easy, but peacefulness continued to elude him. The message light on his trid drew his attention, and he powered up the display.

CODE
Hey, kid.  Got your message and I think I've got someone who'll fit the bill.  Stop by Miner's Landing today at noon and the two of you can talk specifics.  Call me if you've got questions.  -Z
The_Eyes
17:54:08 Monday 08 January 2063 - Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

James pondered a moment. Not really mulling over whether or not to take the job--getting paid to run a search? Hell, he might've done it for free if he had the time!--but pulling together what little information he already had on the subject.

"Ex-programmer... I think I saw an article on that," James pondered aloud, his mind automatically supplying some of the details despite the distraction of the world around him, "A... Dr. Casimir, right? Sure, I'd be happy to take a look. I suppose the client wants to generate as little background noise as possible for this? And what's the timetable? 'Everything you can' could take up to a week if you really want everything; how long does the client want to wait?"

Casimir... you know, I think I have a couple of his search algorithms implemented on Jane, James mused, Now there's a fun coincidence; Casimir's algorithms tracking down Casimir's killer. Someone's Karma at work.
Ecclesiastes
06:15:02 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Apartment 875, Parkewood Village Apartments, Tacoma

The message swung Todd's mood for the better. Sweet. Noon kick-off time even gives me a few hours to get in some programming time. The young skater settled into his favorite decking spot and logged in. He quickly shot off a message to the fixer and nanoseconds later ones and zeros were running through his head as he further reprogrammed his brain to the sythetic world.

CODE
Wiz.  I'll be there.  Who should I look for?

-Todd
grendel
17:54:27 Monday 08 January 2063 - Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"Yeah, that's the one all right. The client didn't mention anything about a time table, I'm assuming results are what count although there may be a bonus for speed. Why don't you do a day's worth of looking, see what you can find, and I'll set up a meet with the client for noon on Wednesday. You can present what you have and see what they say about further avenues of investigation. Sound good?"

Zeyda jots down a note in his pocket secretary, glancing up to gauge Eyes reaction.
The_Eyes
17:54:41 Monday 08 January 2063 - Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"Noon Wednesday, sounds good to me. Same place, I'm guessing??" With a thought, James marks down the job details on the psec still plugged into his neck. He glances at his drink, decides he didn't really want most of it anyway, and gets ready to leave. Nuts, looks like I'll be able to make the appointment with Ran after all, he thought amusedly.

"Oh, right, and I'm assuming low profile on the search, yes?"
grendel
17:54:57 Monday 08 January 2063 - Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"Right on both accounts." Zeyda nods.
bclements
00:37:53 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Capitol Hill Terrace , Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS
Great, glad to actually be watching a living person. And I'll need my guns for this, maybe. Better to have and not need... Tony thinks to himself as he walks up to his apartment. Hitting the thumbprint ID pad on the door, he walks into his flat and grabs the spare keys to the Americar he has in the bedroom. I'll still need Sam to pick me up tomorrow night. And miles to go before I sleep.. Tony thinks as he walks back out into the frigid night, on his way back to the airport.

01:41:41 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – , Seattle, UCAS
After an uneventful, but cold trip back to the airport to collect his guns and why did did the airport people have to put the short-term parking lot so far away from the long-term garage?, [/b]Tony[/b] settles into his apartment with a cup of coffee. Time to ask a few questions, then off to bed, as he settles into his computer for some research
The_Eyes
17:55:03 Monday 08 January 2063 - Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS
"Scans well for me. See you in a couple days then." James exchanged any necessary civilities with Zeyda and left as quickly as reasonably possible, the furitive cast on his mind only leaving when he gets out of the restaurant below and onto his own bike. On the drive back, he realized that he should have asked some more about who was hiring his for the search, considering possible motives for the use of the information and such, but in the end a job was a job, and this one seemed fairly harmless.

18:45:22 Monday 08 January 2063 - - Unit 303, Winlock Apartment Complex, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS
James opened his door and stepped inside, dancing his way around the various computer paraphernalia stacked, heaped, and otherwise scattered around the small apartment as if it were all a basic extension of his body. In a way, it kinda was. It was home; it was a personal sanctuary; it was a place where you can let your guard down, just a little. It was a place with a frowning girl in a black, perfectly fashionable raver costume tapping her foot impatiently with her eyes fixed on the trid.

Carmen didn't even look up. "Cheh. Men, always making you wait. You're not even dressed yet."

James smirked. "A little early, are we Ran? Thought we agreed on 7? Give me a second and I'll get ready. Not like anyone cares what I look like anyway; all the eyes are gonna be on you." Having a seat in his programming chair, James quickly hookes himself up to the home computer.

"Jane?" James calls out quietly.

"You called?" a teasingly sultry voice whispered in his ear. James 'turns around' to see Jane leaning over hiw shoulder, grinning like she'd just played a great joke. "See? I can sound like jailbait too," she continued in her normal 'voice', "Does that mean you like me better now?"

James rolled his eyes. "We have work, Jane," he said patiently, ignoring the verbal jab, "We can discuss your sarcasm module later." He fills Jane in on the details of the job, filling in a few blanks from the article snippet he had saved locally, "For now I want you to do two quick searches, public records only, and keeping a low profile. First, I want any quick info you can find on Dr. Terence Casimir and his history, in particular his work history and any recent changes to credit rating or credit history. Second, I want any quick info you can find on Dr. Casimir's death: major news reports, press releases, blog postings, things you might think are relevant. Spend a few hours on each one and link the results to my home terminal here. You have all that?"

Jane hesitated for a moment. "I..."

James considered a moment, then 'translated' the instructions into a pair of long query strings in HoloLISP. After preusing those Jane nodded in acceptance. "I'll take care of it; you have fun on your date," she said, and disappeared in a small shimmer of displaced electrons.

James blinked. It wasn't a date, was it? Shaking his head, he jacked out...

...and was immediately greeted by Carmen's wide grin, inches away from his face. "Ack!" James recoiled in surprise, tipping his chair over and tumbling backwards onto the floor, scattering wires and optical chips everywhere.

"Sorry, had to do it," Carmen said, her grin widening like a shark's. "Now c'mon; I altered your clothes a bit so they don't make you look like some 50's tortise."

James gingerly got to his feet. Definately not a date, he thought to himself.
Ecclesiastes
11:15:00 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Apartment 875, Parkewood Village Apartments, Tacoma

The red dot appearing in the corner of his vision broke Todd's meditation. Wow, time flies when your having fun... or running an infiniate number of complex algorithms through your head, either way works I guess.

Pulling out a virtual cell phone, Todd makes a quick phone call. "Hey Louie, its Todd. Can you arrange for a taxi to pick me up out front in 15 minutes? You're the best."

Jacking out, the kid grabs his backpack and tosses in a few essentials. Microtronics Kit. Check. Portable Sat-Uplink. Check. Munchies. Check. Portable Nuke. Damn... Todd opens the door and feels a little better to see the blood has been cleaned up. Crash, I sure hope you aren't leading me to a death trap.

Flopping his skateboard down onto the hallway, Todd skates down to catch an elevator down to the taxi.
WinterRat1
09:15:48 Monday 08 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen - Main Dining Hall

Heading to the back, Max easily spots the attractive elf busily moving about the kitchen, always ready to pitch in where help is needed, whether with a kind word, a helping hand, or just a smile.

The world would definitely be a better place if there were more people like Keira out there Max thinks to himself.

Spotting him, Keira smiles and waves, and walks on over, grabbing a towel on the way to clean her hands. "Hey Max! What's going on?" she says, wiping the rest of the water off her hands as she comes to a stop in front of him.

"Not much," he answers, looking around before continuing, "is everything ok? Nothing wrong here, right?"

Keira cocks her head slightly to the side and raises an eyebrow questioningly. "Other than the usual being understaffed and undersupplied, yes," she answers with a smile before realizing that he's serious.

"What is it, is something wrong?" she asks in a lower tone of voice, not wanting to disturb him.

"No, everything's fine, I was just..." *Cha-chack! Cha-chack!* Cha-chack? What the hell is cha-cha....oh drek!

Moments after his still enhanced senses pick up the unfamiliar sound of safeties being released and rounds chambered from outside the Soup Kitchen's main entrance, Max realizes he has about three seconds, literally, before things get very ugly, very quick.
Slipshade
09:15:51 Monday 08 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen - Main Dining Hall

DREK!!!

"EVERYONE DOWN! NOW!" Max yells into the dining hall as he grabs Keira and dives beneath one of the fold up, particle board dining tables.

“What are you…Ooph!” Keira grunts as Max lands on top of her. Her question is cut-off by the sounds of The Respite’s front doors being kicked open.

Max could only hope that the rest of The Respite’s occupants knew enough to stay down. Giving a quick request to Gargoyle for aid Max frantically begins weaving a spell.
grendel
19:22:41 Monday 08 January 2063 - Bluefish, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Actually a converted warehouse, Bluefish sat in a rundown section of the Tacoma docks district. Three years ago it was a popular location for underground raves, parties that would last until the portable generators ran themselves out of gas. That was until Lone Star busted in one Saturday night on a tip about novacoke dealing going on in the back room. In the ensuing panic, fourteen people died, mostly teenagers, trampled to death as the crowd stampeded for the nearest exit. Initially the Star's PR machine spun the incident as the result of the 'raver' culture and the drugs and violence inherent to it. But a couple of intrepid INN reporters managed to uncover and publish the truth about the events that night. Apart from the bad press, the other result from that exclusive was the purchase of the warehouse by Chris Mixon and John Mendoza. Mixon's sister and Mendoza's younger brother were both killed in the accident. They wanted to set-up a club that would cater to the raver's needs, but at the same time provide a safe location. The result is Bluefish.

From the outside, the construction plastic walls remain unchanged, and the only indication that it's a hotspot for the nightlife is the neon blue holograph of a swordfish over the door. Inside, the ground floor is all ages, with a handful of water stations against the walls. The bands play on a raised circular stage surrounded by chainlink fencing. Four speaker piles around the stage keep the music at an ear-shattering level. The second floor, built from industrial grade steel grating, is 21 and up, with a full bar and its own section of dance floor. Several large stairways allow access to the second floor, but each is staffed by half a dozen bouncers checking IDs.

Eyes pulled up into the parking lot next to the club, setting the bike on its stand as Ran hopped off the back. She pulled off her helmet and shook out her hair, using the reflection of the streetlight in the mirrored faceplate to check herself. Eyes undid his own helmet, scanning up and down the street. A steady stream of people filtered towards the club, voices rising above the pulsing techno beat of the DJ working the crowd before the band came on. Across the street from the club were two Lone Star cruisers and one of their riot control drone carriers. The Peacekeeper drones were actually deployed, a phalanx ten across and three deep of black and white armor. Eyes knew the cops were there by request, to keep the lid on if anyone tried to crash the party or start something viciously illegal. They tended to turn a blind eye to lesser infractions, like drunk and disorderly, public intoxication, public nudity, disturbing the peace, and whatnot. Ran had mentioned she'd been to two raves already that required police action to break-up when things got out of hand. Eyes hoped tonight was not one of those nights.

"Ran!" The shout came from a pack of about a dozen kids standing next to the entrance. A boy, no older than eleven, waved to them as they stood by the bike. Even at this distance it was easy to see that he wore one of the digital LCD shirts favored by the younger ravers. Currently, the display was a retro image of vertically cascading backwards numbers and Japanese kanji. Fiber optic cables, their clear plastic sheaths lit by blue LEDs, snaked up his back and were plugged in to the datajacks implanted on either temple. Eyes knew they ran to a beltpack that controlled the shirt's display, as well as being a short range wireless transmitter. Anyone similarly equipped could interface and trade pictures, or data, or, if allowed, change the image on his shirt.

"Zee!" Ran waved back, turning to Eyes. "C'mon!"

Together, they joined up with Ran's tribe. Eyes was struck once again by the aptness of the name. It wasn't a gang, or a clique, or a group of friends. It was a tribe, with all the rigid, unspoken tribal rules of interaction. He caught several furtive glares from the older boys, and knew they resented the interest that Ran showed in him. Knew, also, that his position in the power structure of the tribe was precarious at best. Any respect he was accorded was because of Ran's stamp of approval.

The tribe filed through the doorway, everyone but Eyes receiving a handstamp identifying them as under 21. The ink was a 24 hour polymer that would break down slowly under the influence of the body's chemistry, but flouresced beneath UV light. It helped make the bouncer's job easier. Eyes immediately shied to the far wall, seeking one of the fenced off sitting areas close to the water stations in order to distance himself from the crowd gathered. Ran glanced his direction once, an eyebrow lifted in question. He shook his head and reassured her with a gesture. She nodded, disappearing into the mass of bodies writhing on the dance floor. Eyes breathed a sigh of relief. He would never have made it in that crowd.

The DJ was still spinning, the band wouldn't be on for another hour at least. Speed Coma was an elven band, two men and two women. Their music, although influenced by over a dozen different styles, was, in a word, hard. It appealed to a broad cross section of the alternatives: hardcore, grindcore, goth, industrial, techno, electric, fetish. They leaned certain directions on different albums, their latest being a return to their roots as an industrial band. Personally, Eyes preferred their album of two years ago, which was an almost hypnotic mix of techno-electronica. It was good to program to. He had to admit, though, that there was something powerful about the music. And not only because the bass made his teeth jump inside his skull. It was infused with an anger, a rage much more elemental than the usual juvenile angst and defiance. This was a predatory fury that screamed at the world, dared it to intervene.

Red laserlight licked across the dancefloor, briefly highlighting Ran as she threw her hair back in a purple/black cascade. Eyes smiled. A voice at his shoulder said:

"She's a little young for you, isn't she?"

The speaker smiled at him to take any insult out of her question, leaning against the railing in a relaxed manner. She wore her hair in tight cornrows halfway back on her head, after which it spilled free in alternating pleats of gold and crimson. A black latex half-jacket over a crimson corset, a short skirt of black silk, and knee-high latex boots completed her outfit. Around her neck was a medallion: a silver sunburst that caught the laserlight and shone like a heart of fire in the dimness of the club.
WinterRat1
09:15:54 Monday 08 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen - Main Dining Hall

Gathering the mana, Max can feel Gargoyle's power flowing through him, aiding his efforts. He tenses, ready to unleash the magic on the first unlucky chump to walk through the front door. The doors fly open, Max unleashes the spell on what appear to be a pair of men wearing black suits and what look like...gas masks. Both men immediately begin staggering in confusion and actually crash into each other coming through the door.

The effect would be almost comical if it wasn't for what drew Max's complete attention. Flying through the opened doors past the staggering men to approximately the center of the room are two roughly cylindrical containers. The moment they hit the floor, gas begins rising quickly from the containers, filling the room...
grendel
18:45:38 Monday 08 January 2063 - Seattle LTG

Jane shifted through the electronic pathways of the matrix, her search algorithms spread out before her like a dozen reference books. She'd already completed her search on the initial information requested. Now she was trolling the backwaters of the Seattle grid, poking into places where the still surface of the dark waters concealed the deep, swift running currents beneath.

She doesn't want to spend too much time here, as she's already felt as if something was pacing her, stalking her through the labyrinth of data and constructs. A flicker of light from the narrow alleyway between two hosts catches her eye, and she ghosts in for a closer look. The icon revealed is skinned like James Dean, right down to the steel toe caps on his cowboy boots.

"Well you're a handsome devil, what's your name?" Jane smiles at the icon, who offers her a cigarette in return.

"Just call me Revenant. I work for a group of people who are interested in making sure that information remains free." He glances meaningfully at the slim white cylinder in her hand, and she nods, tucking it away for future evaluation. A noise at the end of the alleyway draws their attention.

"You'd better go," hisses Revenant, and as Jane watches the icon that steps from the shadows, she couldn't agree more. It moves with catlike grace on a pair of reverese articulated legs, its skin a shifting quicksilver armor. Each of its six-fingered paws is armed with wickedly curved claws, and its forearms are edged with serrated blades. Revenant steps forward, his hands starting to glow, as the creature opens its mouth and snarls. Acid drips from gleaming metallic fangs, steaming in the virtual air. The last thing Jane sees before the vistas of the matrix dissolve are the two icons leaping at one another, weapons screaming for blood.

With a sigh, she set the files requested by Eyes on her desk, the first pile being his primary query, and the second, the results of the other search.

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

bclements
02:00:47 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Capitol Hill Terrace , Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Well, maybe that will turn something up by the morning Tony thought to himself as he jumped in the shower for a quick rinse off. 5 minutes later, warm, dry, and tired from the day, he hits the bed, being sure to keep a gun under the pillow.

11:15:00 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Capitol Hill Terrace , Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Dressed in some securetech clothing, showed, shaved, caffeinated, and newsed up with absoultly nothing in the Journal this morning, except for some details on the Transys-Erika joint venture Tony checks his weapons. Everything looks ready to go. Leaving behind some of the ammo, whetting his sword, and making sure that everything was loaded with real rounds, Tony repacks the items in his duffel bag. Walking down to his car in the clear, but still freezing and windy weather, Tony slings the bag into the trunk, gets in the car, and starts off toward the Landing
grendel
11:48:15 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Todd flashes a smile to the waitress behind the maitre d' stand as he climbs the stairs to the bar. She blinks in some surprise, but then most of the waitstaff knows better than to question visitors who are clearly there for business.

Over the conversations of the lunch crowd, Todd can hear the light notes of D.B. on the piano. The blind ork hunched against the baby grand, a wistful look on his face while his fingers danced with surprising delicacy over the faded ivory keys.

Sitting with Zeyda at his booth was an athletic looking human male, dressed in well-kept but generic securetech clothing. The fixer motioned him to a seat.

"Hey, kid. This is Tony. Tony, this is Todd."
The_Eyes
19:51:20 Monday 08 January 2063 - Bluefish, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Eyes sighed at once again being casually ostracized by Carmen's tribe. He hadn't really expected for any of the others to treat him like one of their own, but he'd hoped for at least a lack of open suspicion and distrust after being around this long. There just seemed to be a natural impasse between him and their group. It could be age, philosophy, genetic, but then all of that would apply to Ran too, wouldn't it? Eyes smiled; in many ways the Otaku's ability to interact directly with the Matrix was the least interesting thing about them.

"She's a little young for you, isn't she?"

Broken out of his developing tunnel-vision (and thankful for the distraction), Eyes glances at the speaker, a hand reflexively adjusting his glasses. Wow, wish I had put more thought into my own outfit, Eyes reflects, lingering for a second on the medallion, maybe I ought to go, ugh, shopping next time. "Heh, jury's still out on that one," Eyes replied, with a smile of his own, "Most of that group seems to be thinking I'm the young and immature one. Nice necklace, by the way."
bclements
11:49:00 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS
Raising up slightly in his seat, Tony holds out his hand to the kid standing in front of him. "Nice to meet you. Care for anything to eat?" I would say "or drink", but this kid looks barely old enough to buy soycola, much less get a real drink, Tony thought to himself.
Bastard
2000 Monday 08 January 2063- Cooper's Condo, Hidden Oaks, Downtown-UCAS

Inside Marquis is hard at work. Semi watching an old movie on the trid, but really occupying his mind with the Ares Predator. Its pretty much stripped apart at the moment, neatly spread across the desk. Marquis has just about everything degrimed and is installing the Smartlink-2 system.
Ecclesiastes
11:49:00 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Todd is a blue eyed bean pole. His head is covered in a mop of unkempt, shaggy brown curls, and his face is covered with freckles. It looks to be anywhere between fourteen and fifteen years old. He is wearing a set of baggy, kacki green cargo pants with a red "Rage Against the System" t-shirt. There is a black backpack slung over his shoulders with a skateboard sticking out of the top.

The young boy smiles at Tony and shakes his hand, the weakness in his grip shining through. "Hey man, nice ta meet ya too. Sure, they got good burgers here?"

Todd slides his backpack off and swings it under the table, then takes a seat.
bclements
11:49:15 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Tony releases the dead fish grip of the decker, and looks at the boy seated across from him. Jesus, this young, and already out in the shadows? And not unsuccessful, if he knows Zeyda. I would have been dead at that age if they had turned me loose Tony thinks to himself.

"Not bad at all, that sounds like a good lunch," Tony says, in a Southern accent. Catching the attention of a passing waiter, he says "Two burgers, well done, real. Fries and a water with mine. You want fries with that, and a drink?" Tony asks Todd. To Zeyda he askes, smiling "You going to eat with us? Or better yet, have a drink?"
Ecclesiastes
11:49:20 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Todd grins, "Wiz. Seasoned salt on those fries and a Hype Cola."

He then turns to Zeyda wondering if he is going to join them or take off and leave the two to their meeting.
grendel
11:50:03 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Zeyda glances between his two clients, before standing.

"Well, looks like things are going well here. I'll be at the bar if you need me."

The slim man stands and makes his way across to the bar, leaving Todd and Tony alone.
grendel
19:51:36 Monday 08 January 2063 - Bluefish, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

"Why thank you. It's just a little trinket that went with the outfit. So, is she the only reason you're out tonight?"

The woman leans close to Eyes to make sure she's understood, her breath soft and warm on his cheek. She smells of a vicious blend of leather, latex, honey, and jasmine.
The_Eyes
19:51:45 Monday 08 January 2063 - Bluefish, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Eyes resisted the urge to blink in surprise. Huh. Is this going where I think it's going? he pondered, Either nerd-chic is in this season, or I'm just a lucky bastard... or she's after something. Now where'd that last thought come from? Oh well, play it by ear for now. Ask questions, don't give anything important away, see where this is going. And for God's sake stop thinking so damn much!

"Well I suppose you could say she's the main reason I'm here," Eyes answers offhandedly turning a little to face the woman a little better, "though the music's not bad either. Moshing's not generally my thing, really. How about you? Here with anyone, or playing the lone wolf?"

Eyes is easily keeping his side of the ocnversation casual. He's fairly certain nothing's going to happen; first off he couldn't very well ditch Ran here, being her ride and all, leaving aside the whole question of whether she'd be jealous or not, or if that mattered at all. About all he could end up with here is a phone number, and what good would that be? He can't very well be entertaining people with his shoestring budget; his apartment was completely unfit for company, even if it was cleanned up: he didn't even have any furniture beyond two chairs, a desk, a couple workbenches and his "bed" which was more of a Japanese futon than an actual bed (the Japs were all imperialistic bastards--well, maybe not as much anymore--but they did have good ideas on how to conserve space. Regardless, he had nearly zero capacity for dating or even the prospect for dating at the moment, so it was particularly easy to deal with the whole thing haphazardly. Which, ironically, probably made him look better in the first place.
Ecclesiastes
11:50:03 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

While they wait for the food, Todd gets down to business. "I suppose you are wondering what's going on? Well, I need to take a quick trip somewhere. One problem is that I don't drive. Another is that the thing that sent me there warned me to be careful, that there would be dangers where I need to go. I need a ride out to Sacred Heart Cemetery in Redmond."

Todd pauses as the food arrives and watches Tony to see how he reacts.
Slipshade
09:15:57 Monday 08 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen - Main Dining Hall

The hiss of gas could barely be heard above the cries of fear from The Respite’s occupants. SINless and volunteers were scrambling towards the exits.

‘Panic with this many people in one place could be disastrous. He had to get Keira out of here.’

Max turned to the momentarily stunned, young elven woman.

He knew that every exit was likely covered by who ever it was outside that had instigated the raid.

“Do you have roof access here?”
grendel
19:52:05 Monday 08 January 2063 - Bluefish, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

The woman chuckles throatily, as if enjoying some private joke.

"I'm just out looking for a good time. Can I buy you a drink?"

She tilts her head towards the nearest staircase leading up to the second floor.
bclements
11:50:10 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Inclining his head slightly and raising his eyebrows in a look of surprise, Tony thinks to himself This kid is crazy. Graveyard in the Barrens?. "You want me to take you out to a graveyard in the Barrens? What is out there your looking for? And..." Tony pauses while the waiter delivers the drinks "...what kind of danger's did whatever it is say would be out there? I'm not very easliy scared, but I do like knowing what it is I'm getting into."
The_Eyes
19:52:12 Monday 08 January 2063 - Bluefish, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Eyes glances at the dance floor, where Ran was still swallowed by the seething crowd. Gotta be something else going on here. Eh, might as well see where this is going, he thought, dismissing that nagging feeling of unease as nothing more than jitters from being around the crowds.

"Sure, why not? Lead on, my dear." Eyes says with a smile and a small wave of the hand.
Sedna
1230 Tuesday, January 9, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

Just when he was starting to feel completely forgotten -- "This will take longer than I had thought," comes from the front room, and then the fixer moves aside the heavy curtain separating front from back, lighting the back area with a reflected dazzle of snow. "Andie, I am going to have to step out for a bit. The store may as well stay locked up while I am gone, so you will not be disturbed in any way until I return. You have the kettle, if you want to make yourself some tea, but I will have to pick up some more raman noodles on the way." A slight smile. "We seem to have used them all."

"When?" asks Andie practically, and the fixer shrugs -- "I have to be here for this evening. Beyond that ...?"

"All right," says the young mage. The details of the store-to-be are still percolating through his mind: fireplace, reading room, garden?

"What will you name it?" asks Solomon quietly.
grendel
19:53:44 Monday 08 January 2063 - Bluefish, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

She chuckles again, holding out her hand.

"The name is Reign."

Turning, she leads Eyes upstairs, the bouncers glancing at their wrists before letting them pass. Her hips sway in time to the music, and she glances back over her shoulder at Eyes. A wicked smile plays across her lips before she turns back. Upstairs is much less crowded than the dance floor, but the crowd is older, a dangerous blend of seasoned veterans and aged poseurs. Reign makes room for herself at the bar with a careless gesture, pulling Eyes in close.

"What'll it be, sailor?"
Ecclesiastes
11:50:10 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Todd nods, acknowledging what Tony says. "I know it sounds crazy. And honestly, if you knew why I needed to get out there, you'd think I was even crazier. But... yeah, I guess you do need to know."

The boy takes a moment to stuff his mouth with fries and let his mind go over the events of the last few days before continuing. How much do I tell him? Will he think I'm crazy? Will he back out if he does? Screw it.

"Alright, a few days ago a man was shot outside my apartment. He slipped a chip under the door. I don't know if it was to keep it away from whoever was attacking him or if I was ment to have it, but the fact is... I have it. This chip is crazy man. Encryption algorithms that beat anything I've ever seen before, and I've seen it all man, trust me. Crazy drek. The file inside was another encoded message and after a lot of work, I figured out it was a map. Well, longitude latitude markers actually. The file told me to be careful, that the key would be guarded. Guarded by what, I'm not sure. If its too much, we can bug out. But I am being called to this and I gotta check into at the very least."

Todd stops, takes a sip of his soda and a bite of his burger. Her eyes never leave Tony as he tries to get a feel for what he is thinking.
bclements
11:50:30 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

“Very interesting story kid, very interesting...” Tony murmurs half to himself. This kid is way in over his head. And I’m right down there with him by being here. He's motivated enough to go out there, though, and he'll be dead quickly without me. He may be dead quickly with me out there as well.

“Hmm, anything about what the ‘key’ would be? A physical key, or just another chip?” Tony said around a mouthful of hamburger. “Do you know what’s around there? I’m not too knowledgeable about the Barrens, other than being out there a few times. Gangers and the other usual low level thugs I can handle or scare off pretty easily. Dedicated mechanical or magical security may be more than I can handle, depending on how motivated they are. And they may be pretty motivated, considering that they’ve killed at least one person for this chip. All without even mentioning what can happen in a graveyard in this day and age,”, Tony added, feeling a little more confident in reciting his abilities, tempered by the fact that he had a lot less knowledge about this situation than he wanted.

Taking another sip of water, Tony asks another question “You’ve had this for a couple of days, right? Notice anything strange happing to you in that time? Same face once too often in your peripheral vision, weird calls or emails, anything out of the ordinary since you’ve gotten that chip?”
Ecclesiastes
11:51:00 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Todd shakes his head. "Naw, nothing like that. I've had to deal with Psycotropics before and this wasn't it. This file was... pure genius. As far as what the key is... I have no idea. If you want, I can check in on the security about the place and maybe look up a bit as far as street info surrounding the place goes too. So... you in then?"

I sure hope so, cause if he's out, I'm up a creek.
bclements
11:51:17 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"Yep, I'm in, just wanting to know exactly what I'm in, though," Tony said. "However, I'm not in it for the money. I'd like you to do a job for me when we're done with this one, instead of a fee. Just a couple of people found, nothing that should be too taxing."

"Also, I'm pretty strapped for time, so if you want to do this today, now is the time. However, if you want to wait 'till tomorrow or so, then I'm free, assuming I'm still among the living, that is. If you are wanting to check security, then I or both of us can do a little scouting around there."
Ecclesiastes
11:51:17 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"Wiz man! Lets get started then."

Todd reaches under the table and unzips his backpack. He pulls out a sheet of paper and places it on the table.

"This is a map of the cemetery. We're headed to the red X. The tack is the entry. Want me to jump online and check which Gangs hang out in the area and see if anything weird comes up in the news on the cemetery? I have my SatLink with me."
The_Eyes
19:53:47 Monday 08 January 2063 - Bluefish, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Eyes takes Reign's offered hand.

"Call me Eyes. Everyone does," he said in return. Almost feeling the added question, he laughed, "I've had the nickname so long it comes to mind faster than the one on my ID."

As he followed her upstairs Eyes still couldn't quite shake the feeling that something odd was going on. It was almost certainly just crowd jitters, but even so he decided to take it easy on the drinking and do more talking instead. He had work to do tomorow, and from experience no matter what you tried a hangover and hot ASIST just do not mix.

"What'll it be, sailor?"

Eyes nodded briefly to his companion. "Ladies first." After she had ordered, he smiled and made his own, "Snake bite: Guiness and sweet cider, if you have it. Oh, and some ice in the glass too; beer is definately not good warm."

As the bartender went about making their drinks, Eyes turned to Reign, "So, what do you do?" he asked curiously, "other than picking up, um, curiously handsome strangers and inviting them to drink?"
bclements
11:51:25 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"Sure kid, go ahead," Tony said absentmindedly while studying the map and having a few fries. This is bad: most of the way into the cemetary, passing a mausoleum it looks like, across from something that looks like a fountain. A fragging sniper's paradise. Tony thought to himself after a quick look at the map. At least there's one exit seperate from the entrance, if the map is accurate. Hopefully, quick in and quick out

"Kid,"Tony said, thinking of something else before the kid went comatose, "Could you tell how old the file on that chip was? If you could, search for stuff from a little before that time forward. Also, check if that graveyard is warded" Yeah, snowball's chance in Hell of that occuring, but it doesn't hurt to know
Ecclesiastes
11:51:55 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"Got it."

Reaching back under the table, Todd reaches into the backpack and makes sure the Satlink is facing the right direction. He leaves the Sat under the table, so what he is doing isn't the most obvious thing in the world. He runs the dataline from his backpack up to his temple, pushes his plate aside and activates the uplink.

"I'll be right back."
grendel
12:02:23 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

The interference from the multitude of transmission points in downtown plays havoc with Todd's connection, static washing across the vistas of the matrix at regular intervals. It does not provide any real barrier to his search, though.

Sacred Heart cemetary has been abandoned for five years, its plots untended and forgotten. Those who could afford to, exhumed their loved ones interred there. Those unable or unwilling, abandoned them to the vagaries of time and nature. As far as Todd is able to find out, no gang has claimed the cemetary. Probably due to supersition about the abandoned area, especially in light of the strange events surrounding the arrival of the Comet.
grendel
19:54:26 Monday 08 January 2063 - Bluefish, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Reign sipped at her cosmopolitan, smiling at Eyes. Beneath them, Speed Coma rose to the stage, welcomed by a roar that trembled the foundations of the warehouse. They immediately replied with the iconic strains of the title track on their 2060 Dragonbreath album. Opening his astral vision, Eyes is struck by the massive outflow of mana energy, finding himself in a pillar of living energy. The walls of Bluefish glowed with the lambent forces of a thousand beings. It didn't matter that individually they might have been burnouts, or down and out, or street nihilists, or teenagers certain that the angst they felt would never end. Here, in this place, in this music, they felt alive.

Above the screaming mass, hovering on black wings, were the angels of the city streets. Streamers of dark energy eneveloped the vaguely humanoid shapes, concealing their true natures even on the astral plane.

Reign gazes down at the crowd through the steel grating.

"Impressive, aren't they?" She chuckles again, sipping from her drink. "As for myself, artist usually fits me well enough." She glances back over her shoulder at Eyes. "Curiously handsome, eh? Any other qualifications I should know about?"
The_Eyes
19:55:10 Monday 08 January 2063 - Bluefish, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Eyes watched the crowd below benignly. From a distance like this, it was easy to see where the theories of a linked subconscious come from. From this level, you could see the crowd moving and flowing to the music, almost like it was a single gigantic entity, composed of hundreds of hands and feet, hearts and minds. Then his eyes refocused, and the crowd once again became just a collection of people, all interacting, all connected, but still separated. The one becomes many, and the many become one. Eyes sips at his drink and smiles... before his brain realised what he just sipped and does a cold reboot.

"Curiously handsome, eh? Any other qualifications I should know about?" Reign asks slyly.

Eyes puts on a thoughtful air. "Well, let's see: charming, dependable, intellectually stimulating..." Eyes grinned widely, "and a horrible despicable liar."

Eyes chuckled a little at his own lame joke, and adds playfully, "No, really I'm pretty boring. 'Usually artist" sounds a lot more interesting than 'IT consultant.' Any chance on squeezing out a few more details, or is that getting a little too personal?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012