Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
Slipshade
01:17:55 Tuesday 09 January 2063- Practical Applications Clinic – Administrator’s Office

Professor nods in understanding and watches Iris with concern, watching her aura for any sign of trouble.
grendel
12:30:05 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

While Marquis' first shot goes wide, his second finds the mark. The target slumps behind the column.
Shadow
22:00:44 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Westminster Apt Complex, South Seattle

This might be Arizona Marshal, but we still have justice here.
Yea, well you can hang your justice, and I will dispense mine.

Ivan chuckled as the scene unfolded. Hang em High was one of his favorites. He could probably say the movie beginning to end. The makeshift chair he was sitting on crumpled somewhat as he relaxed and started to fall asleep. Visions of horses large enough to carry his immense frame filled his head.
bclements
08:00:00 Wednesday 10 January 2063 - Westminster Apt Complex, South Seattle

Ivan is woken up by a chime on his phone. Reaching over to it, he pulls up the text message indicated by the chime, face washed over by the green and blue static image from the old Fuchi trideo set.

CODE

Meet at the Sundowner Tavern on 14640 58th at 1145. Tell the waitress your name is Wayne, and follow her back. 2 or 3 will meet with you, one outside watching, no later than noon.

The job is a break in and tag, in Tacoma. Pay’s around ¥2k per. Tracking equipment provided.  Johnson will meet with them in 2 hours, location to be transmitted to them upon your recommendation.

Bonus for you: ¥500 for sending them on, ¥500 for refusing them if they act unprofessional. Your call, and I'm depending on you.  

Call immedietly afterwards with results, number will be good until 1400

An LTG number is attached to the end of the message.
grendel
12:30:07 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

Marquis catches motion out of the corner of his eye to the right, turning too late. The woman in red bursts from between the cars at a full run, her weapon shouldered. The muzzle flashes are bright in the dimness of the parking garage as she snaps out a pair of three round bursts against the kneeling runner. Tony pans his muzzle to the south, the last of his suppressive fire sparking from the concrete walls of the garage. A shadow, darker against the dark haze of the obscuring smoke, breaks from cover among the cars to the sheltering bulk of the concrete support pillar.
WinterRat1
01:18:10 Tuesday 09 January 2063- Practical Applications Clinic – Administrator’s Office

The seconds tick by, seeming like a lifetime is going by with each one. Tyler’s voice comes over the radio, “I called the wheels boss, they’ll be waiting for us up front when it’s time to go.”

Tersely, Scrapheap simply answered, “Acknowledged.”

Suddenly, literally about 5 seconds before he was about to pull Iris out, she jacks out and immediately starts throwing up on the floor. “I…got…most…of…it…took the IC…guess…I’m paying…for it now…” she manages to get out between heaves. “Help… me grab… the deck…time…to go…”
Slipshade
01:18:25 Tuesday 09 January 2063- Practical Applications Clinic – Administrator’s Office

Professor grabs the deck and stuffs it in the bag Iris had carried with her. Moving as quickly as he can he grabs her around the waist and throws her left arm over his shoulder to help her stand. Then looks to Scrapheap for direction.
Scrapheap
01:18:29 Tuesday 09 January 2063- Practical Applications Clinic – Administrator’s Office

Iris was still in mid-wretch when Professor leapt to his feet and began wildly packing her gear. Without turning to look, Scrapheap barked, "Get her out now! I'll grab her stuff and meet you at the van."

The shaman pulled the heaving decker to her feet, half-carrying, half-leading her as they hurried from the office. As they cleared the doorway, Iris weakly looked back towards her deck, face twisted in pain.

Scrapheap's mind raced as he looked around the room to make sure that they had covered their tracks. His gaze kept returning to the computer case beneath the desk and the area where Iris had been ill.

Fragfragfragfrag! What was it Max said about ritual links? somethin' bout bio-matter being the best stuff to use. Well that's a whole fraggin' mess of bio-matter right there! Even if I had time to mop that drek up, how the frag do I know she didn't leave no traces in the isolated system?

The old runner had a sudden flash of inspiration. Slinging Iris's knapsack over his shoulder, Scrapheap jammed his hand into his own bag, fished around for a second, and pulled out a grenade. Setting the readout for 02:00, he pulled the pin, carefully placed it on the floor near the desk and puddle of vomit, turned and sprinted from the room.

His shoulder clipped the doorframe on the way out, causing him to spin. Somehow managing to keep his balance, he caught himself on the wall opposite and sped down the hallway. As he ran, Iris's and his own bag slapping against his back, he pulled the Ingram around into a ready position.

Skidding around another corner, Scrapheap spotted the decker and shaman up ahead. Barely slowing, he threw Iris's other arm across his shoulder and shouted, "Run!"

Basically carrying the dazed decker between them, Scrapheap and the Professor raced past the incapacitated guards and rounded the final corner into the lobby. Tyler stood at the door, holding it open and waving them on, Fichetti in hand. Looking past, they could see the van standing at the end of the walk, a thin plume of exhaust trailing from the tailpipe. Both doors on the passenger side stood open. Silently urging the shaman to keep up, Scrapheap gritted his teeth and dashed towards the open door.
Shadow
10:00:00 Wednesday 10 January 2063 - Westminster Apt Complex, South Seattle

Ivan stretched his mouth wide in a big gaping yawn as he read the message, twice.

Ok, meet men, give them go, no go. Sounds good.

It was just after eight so he had plenty of time to get to the meeting. He checked the weather outside, the snow had continued to pile up over night. It was now burying his door and bike.

He dressed in his usual working gear, silver capped combat boots, black denim jeans, outback shirt and his Stetson. He carefully put on his Ruger holster, a large leather affair that wrapped around his enormous chest and carried the pistol under his left arm. Over that he wore his synth leather secure long coat. With the addition of his ffba he hoped he would stay nice and warm. On his way out the door he picked up his cow-hide work gloves and pulled them on. The supple leather fit his hand, and the wool lining would keep them warm.

20 minutes later he pulled slowly into traffic on I-5. The 8 lane highway was moving at a snails pace with all the snowfall. The snow absorbed the sound of traffic and made the whole city seem eerily quiet.
bclements
11:15:47 Wednesday 10 January 2063-The Sundowner Tavern, 14640 58th Ave S. Seattle, UCAS

Ivan's trip up I-5 is uneventful; the same can't be said of the drivers of the Westwind, Bison, and several now unrecgocnizable other cars that contributed to the 4 lane, multi-vehicle pileup that caused the traffic jam. Lone Star, DocWagon, and Franklin Fire vehicles took up one lane and reduced the vast herd of northbound traffic down to a slow trickle of rubberneckers gazing at the grisley scene.

A few horn blows (lost amid the rest of the sea of cars) and one angry staredown and gesturing contest with an elf driving a Jackrabbit allowed Ivan to get into the far right-hand lane, but it was slow and careful going even after passing the wreckage and a weary Star rookie waiving people into the unoccupied lane. Several other wrecks and abandoned cars dot the freeway here and there, causing the traffic to make slow snake-like undulations on the freeway. Eventually coming to the 144th St Exit, he follows the prompts of the autonav and makes his way slowly down the unoccupied street to the Sundowner

The tavern is clearly not a morning establishment. Only 4 unsnowbound cars are parked outside, and as Ivan walks in, he only sees one fat human patron, a couple of human waitstaff, and one ork cook that peeks out from the cooks window as the door chime sounds announcing Ivan's entrance. The waitresses glance up as the chime sounds.
bclements
12:30:07 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

Can't see drek over here. Might as well go where the action is Tony thinks wrily, taking off in a sprint over to the pillar where the grenade went off. The higher pitched, muffled CACK-CACK-CACK of a submachine gun sounds twice just before he takes off.
Shadow
11:16:05 Wednesday 10 January 2063-The Sundowner Tavern, 14640 58th Ave S. Seattle, UCAS

Ivan nods to the woman as he removes his Stetson and shakes the snow off of it, and his large shoulders. He doesn't quite stand up full as his horns brush up against the ceiling tiles.

He smiles a tusky smile to the puny human and says, "I am Wayne, I believe I am here on biznink?"

He scans the audience with a soldiers eye, looking for possible threats, ambush spots and hiding places.
WinterRat1
01:19:17 Tuesday 09 January 2063- Practical Applications Clinic

With a surge of adrenaline and strength he didn’t know he had, Professor hauled Iris down the hallway with Scrapheap’s help. His lungs were burning from the atypical exertion and he was gasping for breath, but somehow, he managed to carry his own weight as the two of them hauled the decker up to the door of the van and dump her in, Tyler helping from inside the van, with the two of them piling in immediately after.

Right away Megan pulled the car out of the lot, tires squealing as they made a quick getaway even as the lights and sirens were getting closer. As they were pulling away, exactly two minutes after they had bolted the administrator’s office, an explosion rocked the place. Not ridiculously loud or extreme, but to Professor, who had only heard an explosion on the trid, it was surprising nonetheless.

Looking at the street samurai wide eyed, he received a nod in response to his unspoken question. Pulling onto the freeway, Megan slowed down to the speed limit so as not to attract attention. “Where should I go now Joh…er, Scrapheap?”

She’s clearly nervous and wired, she didn’t even try to call me ‘old man’. But everyone did about as good as I could expect. Not bad for a buncha kids, a civilian, a newbie decker, and an old man. John thought.

Leaning back, he took a deep breath to release the tension that had accumulated in his body and thought about their next move.
Scrapheap
01:14:22 Tuesday 09 January 2063- On the Road

John pulled off his ski-mask and stuffed it into his bag. He then folded the Ingram's stock, ejected the clips, and put those in the bag as well before placing it on the floor. He then carefully added Iris's bag to the pile. Reaching into his pocket for his smokes, he caught Megan's eye in the rear-view mirror. "Take the next exit, kid, then the first empty alley you see. We need to get the plates back on this thing. Then we need to find someplace to hole up and go over whatever Iris got off the system."

Seemingly in response to her name, the decker moaned from where she sat slumped next to Max. John watched as she weakly raised a hand to her forehead, then looked to the shaman. "She OK, Max? Max?"
Slipshade
01:22:01 Tuesday 09 January 2063- On the Road

Still breathing hard from the exertion of carrying Iris, Max had immediately checked the decker over for any signs of trauma. Iris’s aura read of fatigue and its chaotic motion was giving off a sense of dizziness and nausea, but there were no signs of physical damage. The explosion that rocked the clinic startled Max out of his examination of the semi-conscious decker. He glanced at John questioningly, and received a nod of acknowledgement in return.

‘Now why the hell did he do that?’

Feeling assured that Iris was going to be ok, he tried to calm himself enough to let his consciousness slip out into the city again, searching for more spirits to aid him, if they were needed, but was interrupted by John’s question…

"She OK, Max? Max?"

“She will be fine, she just needs some rest now.” He replies. “She seems more disoriented and sick than physically hurt.”

As John makes more suggestions on where to pull the Van over, Max again searches the astral realm for help.
Scrapheap
01:25:11 Tuesday 09 January 2063- On the Road

John simply nodded as the shaman explained Iris's condition, though he was extremely relieved. Like anyone else, he'd heard multiple stories of deckers ending up brain-fried after tackling tough IC. Of course he was glad the girl was OK, but he'd mostly been worried that she'd downloaded the data onto headware memory. He didn't know how they would have extracted the data if she'd been 'fried. He was glad he didn't have to worry about that now.

As Max leaned back and closed his eyes, trying to calm his breathing, John leaned forward to get a clearer view of the young girl driving. "Take that exit there, Megan. Watch for ice."

"I know how to fraggin' drive, old man."

Smiling at the return of her attitude, John sat back and spoke up. "A'ight. As soon as we find a quiet alley, I'll get the van back in order. After that, we need to rest. Go over what we found. I'd say my doss, but I don't think I could get all you fraggers in this time of night. Not to mention my sister... Anyone else got an idea?"

"What about the Respite?" Twiggy glanced at Megan as he spoke, then back at the rest. "The rest of our chummers are there. They could watch while we sleep. Plus, there's food!"

"Only thing is, the Clinic fraggers already know about the Respite. Might be the first place they look. Take that alley there, kid."

As the van slid to a halt among a series of snow-topped dumpsters, John dug out his toolkit and grabbed the van's plates from under the seat. As he was about to get out he said, "Still, maybe we want to be there if they do show up. Help your friends? What's everyone think?"
Slipshade
01:25:34 Tuesday 09 January 2063- Alleyway

Max had just finished bargaining with another of the city spirits, when the teams discussion turned to lodgings.

“As I see it, the only two places we have to go are my home or the Respite. Each have there advantages and disadvantages. The Respite can easily accommodate everyone and there are few peace officers that patrol Touristville. Those that do, usually stick to the main strip. The downside is that the clinic people know the location and could come back. My home can accommodate everyone and the clinic would not likely be dumb enough to attack us there, but our arrival time and departure time will be logged by security. If anyone traces this back to us, we will not have an alibi for the time we have been away. Which do you think would serve our needs better, John?”
bclements
11:18:43 Wednesday 10 January 2063-The Sundowner Tavern, 14640 58th Ave S. Seattle, UCAS

"Wayne, huh? You're here early. Follow me on back," the waitress, whose nametag says Jana says, leading Ivan toward the partition blocking off the end of the dining area.

"Watch your head hon," Jana says, unlocking the heavy plastic, floor to cealing divider in the middle, she wrenches it back to reveal a decent sized cocktail area. Ducking even more to make it thru the doorway, Ivan follows the waitress into the dark area. The air still has a faint tang of stale cigarette smoke, but no empty bottles are evident.

"Hava seat next to the bar hon. The booths there are big enough for ya. Ya want me 'ta bring ya a menu or some soykaf?" Jana says, waiting by the partition.
Shadow
11:19:00 Wednesday 10 January 2063-The Sundowner Tavern, 14640 58th Ave S. Seattle, UCAS

"Da, menu would be good. OJ will do for drink."

Ivan set his large frame down in the indicated booth, making sure he faced the entrence.

"Please, a pitcher of water and 3 glasses."

Might as well see if they be accepting hospitality.
Scrapheap
01:27:06 Tuesday 09 January 2063- Alleyway

Despite the way Twiggy's face lit up as Max mentioned his luxurious apartment, the veteran runner shook his head. "It's nice of ya to offer, chummer, but I don't think it's such a good idea. Like you said, your security tracks visitors. They also log and hold weapons. If we was attacked, we'd be fragged. Plus, and I don't know if you do or don't, but if you plan to continue in this line o' work you need to keep your biz away from your main doss as much as possible. Back in my day I always had at least 3 safe-houses."

Taking a drag off of his cigarette, John opened the door and got out. Leaning back in he added, "So unless anyone's got any reason not to, or a better idea, let's use the Respite. I'd rather not, but I think it is our best option right now. Think about it. This'll only take a sec."

Warily glancing around to make sure he wasn't being watched, and using the thermographic function of his eyes to check the doorways and dark spaces between the dumpsters, John quickly replaced the van's plates. Returning the ratcheting driver to his toolkit, he zipped the case and stuck it under his arm. He then squatted down near the rear on the driver's side and felt around for the transponder wire he had cut earlier. Finding the two ends, he twisted them back together before walking over to the driver's door and opening it.

He made a shoo-ing motion at Megan and said, "I'll take over kid. Good job."

As Megan in turn pulled Twiggy from his seat and shoved him towards the back, John climbed into the van and adjusted the seat. Turning around he asked, "A'ight. What's the verdict?"
Slipshade
01:30:22 Tuesday 09 January 2063- Alleyway

"Like you said, The Respite seems the best place for the moment. We should head there." This evening had given Max a lot to think about, particularly...

'I am I really cut out for this?'

'Heh, not like you have much of a choice, chum.'
bclements
11:19:00 Wednesday 10 January 2063-The Sundowner Tavern, 14640 58th Ave S. Seattle, UCAS

Jana disappears thru the partition, coming back a minute later bearing a tray with the ordered drinks. Roughly putting the order on the table, she lays a menu down next to Ivan. "Ya wanna couple minutes to look it over?" she says.
Scrapheap
01:30:59 Tuesday 09 January 2063- Alleyway

John simply nods, puts the van into gear, and pulls out of the alley.

The drive to the Respite is uneventful, though snow continued to fall. Since the traffic was light at this time of night, there was a thin layer of accumulation beginning to form over the usual slush. It was slippery and potentially dangerous, but John drove carefully, not being in any immediate hurry.

Aside from Twiggy's effort to get someone, anyone, to tell him what went on inside the clinic, and the occasional moan from Iris, everyone eventually seemed content to retreat into their own thoughts.

A glance into the rearview mirror showed Tyler leaning forward to talk quietly with Megan. Iris sat slumped over against Max, though he didn't seem to notice and was staring out the window, brow furrowed with deep thought. Twiggy stared straight ahead, arms folded and a disgruntled scowl on his face.

Finally reaching the soup kitchen, John circled around the neighborhood a few times before deciding that the area was clear. Parking the van in the dock area in back, they gathered their belongings and headed inside. Max and Tyler helped Iris, again practically carrying the decker. John led the way with one hand inside his jacket resting on the grip of his Manhunter. He carried the knapsack containing her deck slung across his back, along with his own gear. As they neared the front door, Max paused with eyes closed. John barely had time to wonder what he was doing before the shaman opened his eyes and nodded.

Once they were inside and greetings were exchanged, Max and John got Iris settled in Keira's office. Though he was anxious to see what the decker had found, Max said it was obvious that the girl needed rest before she'd be able to tell them anything. The shaman assured him that she would be fine with a little sleep. Leaving her gently snoring on Keira's small bed, the two men quietly withdrew to the kitchen.

Walking through the main room, past sleeping gangers, John was once again amazed by the work the street kids had done. All of the clutter had been removed and the furniture had been put back in place. Some of the least damaged had even been repaired. This Keira must be some kinda special woman, ta get all these fraggin' kids to work like this. Or maybe they just need someone to believe, give 'em some attention? Was that all Nora needed? One of us to give her a little more time? Frag, if only it was that easy.

As they walked into the large kitchen, they saw the other members of their "team" sitting around a work table. A jar of soy-nut butter and a half-eaten loaf of bread sat between them. Tyler looked up as the two entered, held up a half-eaten sandwhich, and mumbled around a mouthful of food. "Hungry?"

Nodding, John sat down next to Twiggy and quickly made himself a sandwhich. When he was finished, he pushed the ingredients towards Max. "I'm proud of you guys. Everyone did a great job tonight. Nobody panicked when it got sticky and everybody did the part they were assigned. Just like regular shadowrunners."

Reaching into his bag, he pulled out the two Predators and their clips. He sat them on the table and pushed them towards Tyler and Megan. "I got these off the guards. If you guys're gonna be helpin' me you should have them. There's one clip of gels and one of regular for each weapon. Ares stuff is drek, but it's the best I can do." As they reached for the pistols he added, "I'll just need my Manhunter back, kid."

As Megan nodded and reached back to remove the heavy pistol from her waistband, Twiggy tapped him on the shoulder. "What about me?"

"Sorry, kid. That's up to them. I only got two and they're older."

"Figures," Twiggy grumped. Turning back to his sandwhich he took a huge bite and began to chew dejectedly, chin in hand.

"What now?" Megan asked, handing him his gun.

"Unless someone's got a better idea I'm gonna get some fraggin' sleep. You guys should too. Iris won't be much use 'til she's rested, so there ain't much we can do now. We'd probably be better off with that data now, case we need to move fast, but unless one of you guys knows how to use a deck we need to wait on our girl."

Grabbing his sandwhich, John stood. "If no one's got nothin' else?"
Shadow

"No thank you, ma'am. I will take ham cheese omlette. 5 eggs please. 2 Sides bacon, 2 sides sausauge, and hashbrowns please. And Ketchup."

Ivan folded the menu bacl up and handed it to the waitress.

If only I could be affording this every day.
Slipshade
02:00:02 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen

Max accepts the sandwich fixings without a word. He had gotten used to soy-based foods from his time working here at The Respite and spread a nice portion of the bland soy nut butter over a couple of pieces of bread.

“I have a couple of things I want to do before I get some sleep. I have been thinking about who I know that may be able to help us and while it maybe a long shot, I worked with a Cascade Orc shaman about a year ago one on of his dig sights. I could put in a call to see if he would act as a spotter for any ritual magic that I may be able to use to locate Nora and Keira. I am also going to put up some astral watchers around the building incase anyone tracks us back here. “ He takes a bite of his sandwich, which after this evening tastes surprisingly good. “After I am done with that I am going to get some sleep.”

Max finishes his sandwich and leaves the table. Looking for someplace suitable for his work, he finds a faraway corner of the main dinning hall and seats himself in the back behind a few tables and cots that have been set up for use. Max pushes the fatigue and stress of the day to the back of his mind and concentrates on the ritual summoning of a watcher spirit.
Slipshade
02:10:03 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen
One by one Max sends the wispy watcher spirits out into the night. When he is done he is exhausted. Max wearily stands and walks over to one of the young gangers that are on watch.

“I have conjured a number of watcher spirits. They are searching the neighborhood for any unwanted visitors. I have given them instructions to report any findings to anyone in the respite that is awake, so do not be alarmed if the form of a ghostly eye pops into the respite tonight to tell you they have or have not found anything. If what they report is anything out of the ordinary you should wake John first and then myself. Understand?”

The young ganger looks a bit mystified by what Max has said to him, but nods his head in understanding.

“Good, let the next group on watch know about them as well. They will only be around for the next 4 hours, after that we are on our own.”

With that said, Max moves to one of the empty cots and lays down. He is asleep within seconds.
bclements
11:44:00 Wednesday 10 January 2063-The Sundowner Tavern, 14640 58th Ave S. Seattle, UCAS

Jana scribbles Ivan's order down, whistling at the end of it. "Be back in a few minutes," she says, leaving the area and closing up the partition on her way out.

Ivan finishes his orange juice and is starting in on his water when the waitress returns with his order. Setting the plates down, she calls over her sholder as she exits the bar again, "Yell if you need anything else, hon,". Ivan almost doesn't hear her as he digs into his late breakfast, mearly nodding.

He's almost done eating when he hears the ding from the front door again, followed by Jana's high pitched voice saying "Back this way hon". The partition opens, revealing a couple of humans entering the bar, one taller than the other. Looking around the bar, they notice Ivan, and begin to walk over.
Shadow
11:44:00 Wednesday 10 January 2063-The Sundowner Tavern, 14640 58th Ave S. Seattle, UCAS

Ivan smiles at the new comers and waves his hands for them to have a seat. He dabs his mouth with a hand cloth to clean up any mess.

"Good to be meeting you, I am Ivan." He holds out his big paw toward them.
bclements

The foremost human holds out his hand in return: normal sized, his entire hand rests neatly in Ivan's palm. "I'm Thayer, this is Dennison," he says, nodding over with his head to indicate the smaller man that came in with him. Although small, his grip carries a considerable amount of strength, and is colder than it should be, even with the weather outside.

"Cross said you'd be giving us a first interview for some work. What's the job look like?" Thayer says, releasing his grasp and settling in to the booth. The other man grabs a chair from a table and pulls it up to the end of the booth. Thayer pours himself a glass of water from the pitcher as Dennison sets a small device on the table and thumbs it on. "White noise generator. Cross told us to bring it," he says.
Shadow
11:46:00 Wednesday 10 January 2063-The Sundowner Tavern, 14640 58th Ave S. Seattle, UCAS

Ivan nods at the mans respectable grip.

"The job is in Tacoma, you will be tagging item in secure location. B&E is probable. I have no information on the target itself. Do you have skills to do job?"

bclements
12:30:08 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

Covering the distance quickly, Tony makes it to the pillar in one piece. Peering around the large block of concrete, he can make out Marq's prone form, as well as what sounds like two people moveing toward it. Drek! Can't tell. My ears are still ringing. Deciding to try to get the drop on them, if them they are, he walks toward the end of the pillar, the Semopal still held ready in his hands.
bclements
11:46:45 Wednesday 10 January 2063-The Sundowner Tavern, 14640 58th Ave S. Seattle, UCAS

"Drek yeah I got the skills omae," Dennison says, leaning up onto the booth's table. "The question really is, how much?"
Shadow
11:46:45 Wednesday 10 January 2063-The Sundowner Tavern, 14640 58th Ave S. Seattle, UCAS

Ivan nodded. They seemed relativly professional.

"I can offer you two thousand per person. Since it is tracking job must be quiet."
bclements
11:48:33 Wednesday 10 January 2063-The Sundowner Tavern, 14640 58th Ave S. Seattle, UCAS

"Our team can do quiet. I didn't figure that this'ed be a shoot 'em up carnival," Thayer said, sighing and leaning back in the booth. After closing his eyes for a moment, he sits back up. "I guess we're in right now. I've heard of Cross, and I guess you don't know any more than what you've already said. When's the meet?" Thayer asked.
Shadow
11:49:22 Wednesday 10 January 2063-The Sundowner Tavern, 14640 58th Ave S. Seattle, UCAS

"Good, very good. I will tell Cross you are go. He will contact you with location of meet, it is in two hour, so be ready. Dosvidanya friends."

Ivan stood and smiled at the runners.

"Please feel free to stay, enjoy food, it very good."

Ivan takes his leave exiting out the way he came in. He smiles to the waitress and the cook, "food excellent," he bellows, "just like home cooking mother used to make. Very good."

He drops 50 nuyen on the waitress to cover the food and a tip. Once out side he puts his stetson back on and buttons up his large coat.

They must have killed 20 cows for this jacket.

After he is done brushing the accumulated snow off his bike he calls Cross,

"Da, tovarich, they are... how do you say? Good to go? I told them to expect a message on where to go for the meet. Anything else I can do for you today?"
bclements
12:30:09 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

Ducking himself quickly flat against the cold concrete pillar, Tony feels the bullets displace the air in the space he just left. Throwing down the Semopal never did learn to use that thing right anyway, he thinks to himself he seamlessly draws his pistol from the holster under his jacket. With no time to aim, he snaps off a shot down the line of bearing that the incoming rounds came from, continuing to move north on the pillar.
bclements
11:50:54 Wednesday 10 January 2063- Outside The Sundowner Tavern, 14640 58th Ave S. Seattle, UCAS

"Good man, good man. You'll be paid by courier later on this afternoon, at 16:30 or so. Where do you want it delivered at?" Cross says.
Shadow
11:52:54 Wednesday 10 January 2063- Outside The Sundowner Tavern, 14640 58th Ave S. Seattle, UCAS

"I hope it works for you. Westlake center iz just fine. I will see movie and meet man outside."
bclements
11:53:18 Wednesday 10 January 2063- Outside The Sundowner Tavern, 14640 58th Ave S. Seattle, UCAS
"The courier will be at therustling sounds in backgroundsoutheast entrance at 1630, give or take a few minutes. He'll be in a black Workhorse.

Keep your phone by you, I may need you in a day or two. Stay warm, omae,"
the electronically massaged voice ends the call.
Scrapheap
06:30:04 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen

*beep-beep* *beep-be...*

John quickly cancelled the alarm on his cheap wristwatch and sat up, swinging his feet over the edge of the cot. He rubbed his face and looked around at the others sleeping around him. Though his rest had been troubled, he hadn't had any problems falling asleep. One of the first things he'd learned in the Army was to sleep wherever and whenever possible when on a mission; you never knew when you'd next get the chance.

No, it was his dreams that had caused his sleep to be restless. They'd been filled with images of his niece and sister in some unseen danger. No matter how much he had struggled and fought, he couldn't make it any closer to them.

Standing, John slid on his jacket and grabbed his boots and hat. He then proceeded to pad silently across the cold tile floor. His stocking feet made no sound as he carefully picked his way past sleeping gangers on his way to the kitchen.

Quietly closing the swinging doors behind him, John made his way over to a small desk, sat, and began to put on his boots. When he finished he sat back, pulled out his cigarettes, and lit one. Taking a deep drag, he stared at an item on the desk that caught his eye. Sitting atop a small stack of invoices was an antique paper-weight in the shape of snow-globe. Inside was a miniature version of Seattle's skyline, dominated by a tiny Space Needle. Putting the smoke in his mouth, he reached out to pick up the globe and gave it a shake, watching as the "snow" slowly settled onto the little buildings.

John sat like that until he finished his cigarette. He then made his way over to the large soy-kaf machine. He'd never used such a large version, so it took a few minutes to figure out, but he soon had a batch brewing. As the machine gurgled and hissed, he opened the refrigerator to look for something to eat.

A few minutes later, after a cup of bitter soy-kaf and a couple slices of burnt toast (he was no cook), he poured himself another cup of joe and went to the restroom to clean up. Towling off, he checked his watch, which read 06:52. Going back to the kitchen, he made some more toast and poured a couple of cups of 'kaf. Finding a tray, he carried it all out to the cot where Max slept.

Setting the tray aside, he squatted next to the sleeping shaman and spoke softly. "Max. It's about 07:00. Time to get up. I'll leave some stuff for you here. I'm gonna go get Iris, then when you're ready I'll be in the kitchen."

Setting a cup and plate of toast near the cot, John stood and silently made his way to the office. He had to knock on the door a few times before he got a muffled groan in reply. "Iris, it's John. I gotta cup of 'kaf and some toast I'll leave here for ya. Me and Max are in the kitchen when you're ready."

Going back to the kitchen, the old runner poured himself another cup of soy-kaf, lit a new smoke, and settled in to wait on the others.
WinterRat1
07:10:00 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen

Exactly 10 minutes after 7, Iris staggered into the kitchen. Her eyes were bloodshot and her face was pale and drawn. "Ugh, chummer, I dunno what you put in that kaf, but it tasted like the absolute best kaf I've ever had."

She took one look at John's face, and laughed softly. "Either that, or I'm more drek-kicked than I've been in a long time." She looked around, sipping the kaf. "Am I really the first one here?"

"Yeah, wonder what's keeping the others."

"What's keeping the others is that it's way too fragging early in the morning to think old man, let alone do anything." Megan's usual form of address to him announced her arrival, as well as Tyler and Twiggy's. All three of the gangers were rubbing their eyes sleepily. Immediately they headed for the food, scrounging up a variety of toast, dried cereal, and soy-cola to round out their nutrious breakfast.

As they were putting together their meal, Max walked in, sipping the kaf in his right hand while balancing the plate of toast in one gray taloned(?) or so it vaguely looked like hand. "Well, it appears that a bit too much soft living has made it difficult to wake up with the crack of dawn these days," he commented.

A cold chill blew through the Respite just then, despite the walls. "Damn storm...it was pretty bad last night but it looks like it ain't letting up," John muttered. The gangers just sat silently, absent-mindedly munching their food, and everyone took a few minutes to wake up and let the kaf hit their systems.

Finally, Iris stirred her kaf with a straw and spoke, "Look, John, I don't really know how to say this, so I'm just going to be straight with you. I didn't get a whole lot. That system was rigged, I've never seen anything like it, something like a...degradeable system almost. The moment I entered the system, less than 10 seconds later, alarms started going off. There were no password prompts, nothing to sleaze my way around, nothing. I'd have to ask Finn what the frag kind of set up it was, but I honestly couldn't begin to even guess."

The old runner and the professor shared a look, each of them feeling the other's heart sinking through the floor at that moment. This was their best lead on Nora and Keira. If they turned up blank here, where would they go next?

"So...you said you didn't get much, what did you get then?" Tyler asked, apparently trying to almost will some good news out of Iris.

She sighed, not much. "I got a name, and a file name. The name was actually the name of a couple, or so it seems. Mr. and Mrs. Robert and Marina Wong. They were part of a fractured file that was labled, 'Client List'. I also got an address and LTG number for them."

Holding out a printout with the name, address, and LTG number, she continued, "I don't know much more than that. Literally, the whole system started to degrade as soon as I jacked in. I know that's not drek, and I'm sorry. I didn't get anything on Nora or Keira, and I sure as frag didn't get anything worth fencing. I don't know where you want to go from here, or even if you still want my help, but honest to Kibo, that was the best I could do."

After her update, Iris looked down, clearly embarassed by her lack of production, at least from her point of view. Still, John knew that if something was really this hot, it shouldn't surprise him that the system designers weren't going to make things easy for anyone. At least the trail was still there. It was faint and thin, but at least it was something.

Without looking up, Iris asked, "Is there anything else you want to know?"

Scrapheap
07:21:35 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen

John had sat silently and listened as Iris delivered the bad news. Occasionally, he would lift the cup of bitter 'kaf to sip. I don't know why I'm fraggin' surprised, but I am. I guess this drek just got a little fraggin' deeper.

When she had finished, he gave one of his half-smiles. "I guess that's why the physical security was so fraggin' light, huh? Don't worry, girl. I know that you did your best. Drek, you were good enough to get out alive, right? Sounds like that was hard enough. And you did get us another clue." At least, I hope it's a clue...

Turning to the shaman, John clapped him on the shoulder. "Well, Max, looks like your gonna have to give your Cascade chummer a call after all. Hope he's willing to help." And work cheap, cause I'm fraggin' tapped.

As the shaman nodded, John turned back to the others and sat his now empty cup aside. "A'ight. Guess we got a lead, even if it seems slim now. I got somewhere I gotta go at noon. Alone." A meaningful glance at Megan resulted in a sour look. "Before that though, I'd like to take a look at this. Iris, you feel up to lookin' into the name and address you got? I can't offer ya no more cred right now, but if this ever leads to a payday then you'd be up for a share."
bclements
12:30:10 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

Seeing the retreating group, Tony moves south along the pillar, trying to get a good bead on them. He almost gets his pistol up when the high pitched, metallic CLACK-CLACK-CLACK from one of the group's SMG's sounds twice again.

Caught in the open, unable to dodge, the six rounds hit Tony like a train. Staggered, fighting against the pain and damage, Tony finally surrendered to the blackness engulfing his vision and dropped to the floor, out cold.
Bastard
12:30:10 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

zzzzzzzzz....
bclements
13:00:10 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

He’s sitting at his parent’s breakfast nook, a place he hasn’t been in almost 6 years. Andie and Ricky are sitting there with him, drinking coffee and chatting idly about life. Looking over at Tony as if he just noticed him, Ricky says in a gruff voice “You should have got more armor or more smarts.” “Yeah,” Andie says, pleasant voice obstructed by the magemask she’s wearing “you really aught to know better than that. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread, remember? Isn’t that what Charlie’s class taught?”

Somehow taking a sip of coffee thru the mask, she continues “It would be a good idea to wake up now. Hate for the organleggers to get you before you did.”

“Hehe, not like they’d get much for his liver,” Ricky adds, laughing.

Tony snaps his eyes open suddenly, and wishes he were back arguing with Ricky and Andie. He’s able to will most of pain out, but the spots where the bullets musta been gels. Anything else and I’d be in real trouble. hit hurt bone deep.

Sitting up slowly, he looks around the now non-smoke filled area, trying to find Marquis and the rest of the ambush they walked up upon.
bclements
EDIT:Double post, sorry
grendel
13:00:15 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

Tony's quick glance around for his partner tells him that moving quickly still isn't a good idea. The nausea fades quickly, though. Marquis lays slumped against the pillar close at hand, a swelling purple bruise on his cheek. The parking lot is surprisingly quiet, with no sign of traffic.
bclements
13:01:18 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

Getting to his feet was an effort, but finally the vertigo and nausea relented enough to allow Tony to shuffle toward his car. Time to break out the medkit he thinks tiredly to himself as he shambles toward his bag in a parody of his act eariler.
Slipshade
07:26:02 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen

Max waits for Iris’s answer and then speaks up. “I have a number of people I need to contact as soon as possible for help. I am going to call a cab and have it take me home for a brief time while Iris sees what she can dig up on the Wongs. I will meet you back here as soon as possible with word on whatever help I can get. If anything changes, I will give you a call and I am sure you will do the same. Is there anything else before I leave?”

He waits for the conversation to end before pulling out his pocket secretary and dialing the number for Emerald City cabs. It took him a couple of minutes two haggle with the dispatcher, but he was eventually convinces the man to send one of his cabbies out in the ugly weather for a pickup.
WinterRat1
07:23:06 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen

Iris nods. "It's the least I can do, having screwed up at the clinic. Finding an address shouldn't be too hard. Is there anything specific you want me to dig up or look for on these people?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012