Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
The_Eyes
03:42:10 Friday 12 January, 2063 - 7445 S Hosmer St, Tacoma

Eyes watched Stan leave, hoping that white-eyes or one of his friends wasn't watching him. He wondered how such people would take Stan's nervousness, or their meeting at this random IHOP--and how did they know he'd be here, anyway--or various other nuances of their meet, when he realised he was getting far too overanalytical again and simply left.
WinterRat1
15:55:19 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Renraku Arcology, Parking Garage

Striding briskly towards the elevator in the parking garage of the Renraku Arcology, Max reviewed the plan in his head. It had been decided that Twiggy would wait in the van with John. The samurai had wanted to keep him as out of sight as possible, but the other gangers didn’t want to leave him alone at The Respite, so despite the old runner’s protests, they had overruled him and convinced him to let Twiggy stay in the van with him.

As Megan had pointed out, this way if John needed to get out to help, someone could still drive the van. It was obvious John didn’t like it, but he was at least willing to go along with it.

Tyler, Megan, and two of the other gangers volunteered to go inside and keep an eye on things. They said they’d call, let the phone ring twice, hang up, call again, let it ring twice, and hang up if there was a problem or they thought they spotted trouble. Not the most foolproof system, but it was unlikely anyone else would use that pattern if they were really trying to get a hold of Max.

Taking the elevator to the appropriate floor, he made his way to the SoyStarbucks Coffee. He couldn’t help but notice the heightened level of security that John had told him about. He’d been aware of it on some level, but he’d never really noticed before. Funny how you paid attention to things differently when you were involved with illegal activities.

At exactly 16:00:00, he walked in and spotted the Wongs at a back corner table. Walking over, he sat down and nodded at them. They looked at each other for a long moment, and finally Robert spoke. “OK Max, we’ve decided to trust you with our story, on one condition.”

He nodded for them to continue, so Robert took a deep breath and continued, “We want you to tell us your story. Why are you looking for this friend of yours, and why are you willing to help us when you could have just had us killed back at our apartment? And why is a distinguished and respected professor such as yourself willing to go through all this trouble? What is going on that would lead you to these…extreme measures?”
grendel
21:34:08 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Fall Inn, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Karma takes a slug from her drink, shaking her head.

"Standing out is rarely a good thing. In any case, I don't have that gear on hand. Give me a week to see what I can find and I'll get back to you, though. I may be able to get a couple that are slated for melting down, but they're going to be in rough shape."
grendel
18:00:18 Friday, 12 January 2063, Capitol Hill Terrace, 1404 E. 14th Ave Apt 203, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

The trideo unit shuts off. Tony blinks in surprise. What the frag? His pocket secretary buzzes with an incoming call. Checking the screen, he frowned at the ID Blocked tag.

"Hello?"

The voice on the other end of the line sounds like modulated static, its words barely discernable as such.

"Do not involve yourself in our affairs."
bclements
18:00:25 Friday, 12 January 2063, Capitol Hill Terrace, 1404 E. 14th Ave Apt 203, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

What the frag? Tony thinks to himself again, some hairs beginning to stand up on the nape of his neck.

"Who is this? he said to the mechanical voice after blinking out the last of his drowsiness.
grendel
18:00:31 Friday, 12 January 2063, Capitol Hill Terrace, 1404 E. 14th Ave Apt 203, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

"I speak for the Red Queen."
Shadow
16:31:44 Wednesday 10 January 2063- Westlake Center, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

The snow pilled around Ivan for a bit as he was left contemplating his next move. He could go home and go on as normal, or he could leave again, start over someplace. He had heard Cozmo was doing well for herself in San Fran, maybe she could use a body guard.

What, and get in way all the time boizemoi, what am I going to do?

For now he decided to head home and contemplate the situation.
Sedna
22:05:57 Monday, 08 January 2063 – Domain, 810 Bishop St, Tacoma

Almost directly below the two of them comes a muffled sound of glass breaking.

Quick images of the moment, fragmented by the metal mesh, pieced together afterwards by the mind in an odd collage of light and sound and a sudden spike smell of spilled alcohol. Not taking his eyes fully from the club's entrance, Vedic catches it in interrupted glimpses: as the figure far below him under the angle of the main stairs straightens up over the newly-unconscious body with its edges of tattoos spilling out at wrist and neck, staring mournfully at the newly-shattered bottle in his hand: "What a waste."

The sound of multiple slides and safeties being released and anything else anyone says or might have said is almost completely lost against the pounding beat of the music and the sudden concussive whomp of a newly-demolished front door, its smoke perhaps adding to the existing drifts of haze in the air: although against the growing sensory sensual confusion of the place only the slight vibration of the mesh under Vedic's feet suggest incoming, running. Maybe he's lucky to have even this split-second of warning: from the main club area and stages what happened to the door can't be seen, and few seem to be paying any regard to anything but the pounding music.
Slipshade
16:01:46 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Renraku Arcology - Renraku Mall – Food Court

It was Max’s turn to take a deep breath. He had promised himself that he would trust the Wong’s, but what had happened to him since his change was something very few people knew about. Libby and Karl knew bits and pieces, and Keira knew more than they did, but it was still very hard for Max to talk about and now he was being asked to discuss what had happened to him with a couple of strangers, in public no less.

‘If it will help me find Keira…’

He knew the Wong’s had information he needed, but that didn’t make what he was about to do any easier. Steeling himself against the pain he knew would come with the memories Max began his story.

“As you already know, I was a Professor at the University of Washington until last year as well as an activist for better Human and Metahuman relations. I was also a Human and what the magically active community would call a mundane.

Max stopped to take another deep breath.

“April 17 of last year everything changed. I was feeling a bit ill during the Department’s Spring Break party and decided to go home early. When I arrived at home my condition was much worse; in fact to this day I can not remember making it up to my apartment. For three day I lay in my apartment before Knight Errant found me. A number of colleagues from the university had called in a missing persons report when I did not show up for work. I was in the hospital for another two weeks before I was coherent enough to realize that I was no longer the same person. Officially I am now considered a Homo Sapiens Nobilus, or elf, but unofficially no one really knows what I am. I mean how many elves do you know that are dual-natured with gray skin and claws?”

Max holds up his gloved hand with a sardonic smile.

“I was also what the magical community would call awakened as the magic that I had once only been able to theorize about I was now able to use. It was during my hospital stay that I began to understand the affect that these changes would have on me, at least socially. I received a letter from my family in San Francisco that stated in no uncertain terms that they considered their son to have died in the hospital and what ever I was would do well to stay out of their lives forever.”

The pain Max knew was coming twisted inside his belly. The fact that his family could hate him so much was a wound that might never close.

“ I tried to return to work, but a few of the more “conservative” faculty had convinced the school that someone as “unstable” and “potentially dangerous” as myself would be to much of an insurance liability to keep on staff. They threw around terms like HMHVV and the like to rationalize it, but the fact is, they didn’t want another metahuman on staff, especially one as different as myself. I tried a number of other educational institutions, but I found that I had been effectively “black-balled” from all academic circles. The few friends that would still talked to me gave me the names of some people who may still have need of my expertise, but for reasons of their own want me to work off of the books. Either because they are privately funded research or they do not want my name to taint their results in the eyes of their colleagues.”

“That is my story in a nutshell. Why I am looking for my friend? Well…”

“It was at a fundraiser for The Empowerment Coalition that I was introduced to a young woman named Keira McKay. While only 20 years old she had just recently taken over running The Respite Soup Kitchen in Touristville after he mother had passed away. Running The Respite would have been a daunting task for anyone, let alone a 20 year old woman with no formal education, but Keira had grown up there. She knew the people and being SINless herself knew what most of them were going through. I was truly amazed. Here was this beautiful young woman that had virtually nothing, but gave more to help the poor than most ever would. After the fundraiser I took to working at least one day a week at The Respite to really see the people that I had always said I was helping with my charity work. It really opened my eyes to the plight of the homeless and SINless.”

“After my change Keira was one of the few people I could talk to about what had happened to me. You see Keira is also Homo Sapiens Nobilis. She did her best to help me understand what was happening to me and what reactions I could expect from others. For that I am eternally grateful.”

Keira was kidnapped from The Respite Soup Kitchen after looking into the clinic that you and your wife had gone to. Two young kids from the soup kitchen had gone to the clinic to take part in one of their “research” tests to get a little free money. While there one of them saw what he thought were body bags being loaded into a van. This spooked the two kids and they left. A day later one of the children, John’s niece was kidnapped, but the other child got away and told Keira about what happened. Keira went to the clinic the next day to ask questions, the day after that armed men attacked The Respite and took her.”

“That clinic looks to be responsible for the kidnapping of two people, the attempted kidnapping of another and possibly worse. Even worse to me is that it looks like they are concentrating on the SINless as they are easy targets and even easier to dispose of. I don’t know how long it is going to be before who ever took Keira and Nora decides they too are disposable. That is why John and I reacted rashly in our last meeting, every minute truly could mean their lives.”

“As to why we are willing to help you, well there are many reasons, but for myself there are mainly two. If I help you I may find Keira and I feel I owe you and your wife something for the way John and I treated you.”

Max exhales a bit having rushed his story. It was easier and a bit less painful to get it out quickly, kind of like ripping a bandaid off of a wound. The pain is intense at first, but dies quickly. He meets the eyes of couple sitting before him.

"Now I believe it is your turn."
grendel
22:06:03 Monday, 08 January 2063 – Domain, 810 Bishop St, Tacoma

Vedic drops into a crouch, pulling Lilith down with him before turning her to face the front door.

"Front door, now, move!" he snarls. "Don't stop!"

Bent over at an unnatural angle due to the corset, she moves, his hand on her back guiding and pushing her. Vedic flares his coat so neither of them steps on it, flash pak held armed in his right hand. The front door was the fastest way out, the only clear and known exit. It was the only one that didn't risk becoming a bottleneck when the crowd realized the violence in its midst. The stampede was liable to be more deadly than the weapons of the assailants. It was a calculated risk: if the hit team had the front bottled up tight, then he would have to duck aside into the coat room and wait for a clear chance to withdraw. If not, and the opposing force looked to be discriminatory in its engagement profile, then it was out past their cordon and into the darkness of the night. If he was forced to engage, he would, but not until that time. Especially because of the action he'd seen beneath the main stage.
bclements
18:00:42 Friday, 12 January 2063, Capitol Hill Terrace, 1404 E. 14th Ave Apt 203, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Drek, now they know where you live Tony thought to himself. The small hairs on the back of his neck stood down a bit; he'd half thought that this was a call from some Firewatch controller he'd pissed off inadvertantly.

"What do you mean 'your affairs'? As far as I know, I've done nothing but help you," Stall for time. Let them come to you Tony thought, slipping a bit into an aspect of the Warrior that Sam had taught him.

grendel
18:00:54 Friday, 12 January 2063, Capitol Hill Terrace, 1404 E. 14th Ave Apt 203, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

"You interfered with a sanctioned termination. You forced our hand. Do not interfere again."
bclements
18:01:05 Friday, 12 January 2063, Capitol Hill Terrace, 1404 E. 14th Ave Apt 203, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Ah, the garage. I was right Tony thought, rapidly spinning something to say to the mechanical voice.

"You shouldn't threaten without being able to back it up. And you screwed up at that 'sanctioned termination'. You sent a team that couldn't deal with the threat. I didn't force a fragging thing, you did. You committed a fundimental error. How do you think that Red Queen would react to that information? he told the mechanical voice, allowing his own voice to rise.

WinterRat1
16:19:46 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Renraku Arcology - Renraku Mall – Food Court

As the Wongs listened to Max’s story, Marina became more and more distraught. Her face had turned pale, perhaps even ashen, and she was gripping Robert’s hand so tightly he had to gently release her and stroke it reassuringly. Tears dripped down her cheeks and silent sobs died unheard in her throat.

Robert, on the other hand, had become more and more stone faced, almost like he was determined not to let his emotions show. Still, that alone was indicative of how profoundly he too was affected by the circumstances that surrounded Max’s earlier ‘visit’ to them.

When he finished speaking, the couple was silent for a while, Marina turned to look at her husband, tears streaming down her face. Looking back at her, Robert softly stroked her hair and whispered reassurances to her that everything would be all right. Taking a synth-Kleenex from his pocket, he gently wiped away her tears, and then went up to the counter to get her a glass of water. After taking a few sips of the water, Marina composed herself, although her hands still trembled slightly. “Tell him Robert,” she whispered quietly, almost inaudibly.

Looking back at his wife, Robert nodded solemnly and leaned forward. “Mr. Steiner…Max. I hope you realize I am telling you everything in the strictest confidence. Your story is moving and we’re obviously touched and affected by it. I hope…” his voice falters for a moment, then continues, “I hope you are moved enough by ours to remain true to your promise to help us.”

He squeezes his wife’s hand, perhaps as much for his own reassurance as hers, and proceeds. “My wife and I…although we are human, our children are not. We have two children, both of whom we love very much. Our oldest, Alex, was born an elf. Even though Unexplained Genetic Expression happened several decades before he was born, he somehow was born an elf nonetheless. While rare, I am sure you know that such things do still occur.”

Max nodded his understanding, and waited silently for Robert to continue. “Still, we loved him very much, and were…are proud of him. We were blessed with another child later on, Cynthia, born human, healthy, and happy as any other newborn child. Our little family was complete. Everything was wonderful until recently, when SURGE hit.”

His eyes filled with tears, and Max felt his blood grow cold. Would the pain SURGE caused countless people ever fully be realized? Would anyone understand what those afflicted by SURGE, and those who truly loved them, had gone through? His thoughts were interrupted by the continuing story unfolding before him.

Cynthia…our daughter…was afflicted with SURGE,” Marina took up the story, in a voice barely above a whisper. “She turned into something…the media called them changlings…we still loved her very much, but it wasn’t safe for her.”

Her voice grew louder, angrier. “People were threatening her on the streets, kids tormented her at school, and what could we do? What could we tell her? What could we say to others to make them stop? How do you a tell a child who was bright and loved that it isn’t her fault, that she hasn’t changed where it matters, it’s other people who’ve changed? How do you absolve a teenager of those feelings of responsibility? How do you take away the loneliness and the depression? The isolation? We couldn’t even understand what it was like physically for her as a changling. How could we understand the emotional part of it?”

“What happened next?” Max couldn’t help but ask. His tone was comforting, soothing, letting them know, reminding them, that he, better than they ever could, understood, understands, what Cynthia was, maybe still is, going through.

“I have friends in the scientific community, and I like to think that I’m a fairly good geneticist myself,” Robert says self-deprecatingly, as he smiles a bit wanly, trying to bring the mood back up a little.

“Of course, I threw myself into understanding Cynthia’s condition, and if possible, to find a cure. Needless to say, this was easier said than done.”

Picking up where she had left off, Marina continued, “But we couldn’t wait for Robert’s research to be finished. Things were getting worse, and Cynthia had been assaulted already at school. We had to get her out of here, for her own physical safety at least as much as her mental and emotional safety.”

Robert nodded. “Then a colleague of mine showed me a brochure he had for a place called the ‘Redwood County Center for the Protection, Education, and Relocation of Metahumans’. He told me the Californian government had been establishing these camps to protect metahumans from racial assaults, to allow them to socialize and interact with people like themselves in a safe, secure environment, until the situation could be stabilized and they could return home in safety and peace.”

Alex didn’t believe it from the beginning, and it got worse when he did some investigating,” Marina chimed in. “He claimed that they were nothing more than concentration camps for General Saito’s jackbooted thugs to hold metahumans until they could get around to exterminating them. We didn’t believe him. The media outcry would be enormous! He could never get away with something like that in this day and age.”

Shaking his head, Robert continued, “He refused to listen, and he ran away, leaving us a note saying he was going to bring Cynthia back, and not to try and stop him. That was almost a week ago. We hired some people to bring him back a couple days ago, but the man who helped set everything up told us it could take a while, that such a thing would be more complicated than we thought, because Alex was most likely inside the camp, and getting him out would be difficult.”

Sighing, he adds, “Alex refused to understand. I’d made special arrangements with the camp director through my colleague to ensure Cynthia’s safety. Nothing will happen to her, I’m sure of it. But he’s stubborn sometimes, and he said that he’d bring her home safely and she could stay with us, even if she couldn’t go to school or go out, and it’d be better than leaving her there.”

“He takes after his father,” Marina smiled, the first time Max had seen her smile.

“Maybe a bit too much at times,” Robert smiled back. Turning back to Max, he says, “I’m sure this is a lot to absorb. That’s most of the story right there, but do you have any questions for us before I go through and see if there’s anything I might have accidentally left out?”
Scrapheap
16:12:13 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Near the Renraku Arcology

"C'mon, John! They've been in there forever! We should go see if they's OK!" Twiggy pleaded from the van's passenger seat. "I'm sure we could sneak past the security, nul persp!"

John blew smoke towards the slightly open window, then turned towards the young elf. "Fraggin' hell, kid. It's only been 15 minutes. They're fine." When the ganger opened his mouth to complain, he held up his hand and continued. "Listen, you guys spend most of your fraggin' time tryin' to stay clear of the Star, right? All the time while being up ta no good. This'll be fraggin' easy for them guys. 'Sides, how you think you can get me through them doors, huh? You'd have an easier time sneakin' this fraggin' van inside."

Twiggy crossed his arms and looked out the window. "I dunno," he mumbled. "I'm still worried."

The old runner shook his head. He wasn't exactly thrilled, but he'd never let that show to the kid. Besides, Max was a smart guy. Combine that with the kids' street smarts, and everything should be fine...he hoped.

Deciding that he needed to do something to get his mind off of the wait, John pulled out his cell and dialed Finn's number. The decker had introduced him to Cheryl Lin a few years back. Maybe he'd have some insight into why a Yak under-boss like Saguchi would want her geeked.
The_Eyes
04:02:22 Friday 12 January, 2063 - Unit 303, Winlock Apartment Complex, Tacoma

Eyes opened the door to his apartment, set his alarm, and fell into bed, still wearing his clothes.

Ten minutes later he got back up, made some tea and took a shower, because obviously his mind was still spinning too quickly to get to sleep that easily, however much his body felt like it was being piloted by remote.

10:53:47 Friday 12 January, 2063

Eyes stared at the clock in disbelief. Somehow he had managed to fall asleep in his chair for nearly seven hours. Not only did he miss his alarm, but he was very close to being too late to make the meet that he'd set up!

Quickly Eyes rushed through his morning routine, slipping among the organized mess of his apartment like he'd been born there. Calling the Landing he reserved a booth under Christian, and noted the message left for him by Ran, which he must have slept right through. That would have to wait, though, as he was already running far behind schedule.

11:52:51 Friday 12 January, 2063 - Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Nearly sweating despite the cold, Eyes pulled into the parking lot, glad he wasn't late. Fortunately the drive had been quick, the morning rush having cleared up hours before, so he had gained a little time.

Opining the door, Eyes looked inside and grimaced. The lunch crowd had already gathered downstairs, and upstairs wasn't likely to be much more empty. Sighing, Eyes made his way toward his reserved booth. He nodded to the ever-present Zeyda and followed the hostess to his own booth near the opposite end of the restaurant.

Shadow
21:06:22 Wednesday 10 January 2063- Ivans Apartment, South Seattle, UCAS

The beer was cool and tasty as it flowed down Ivans throat, just the thing to quench the big trolls thirst. He was in his recliner again, relaxing. He had turned it to face the apartments only door, instead of having his back to it. Normally he dressed down at home, but the call had him alert and edgy so he left his body armor on.

Who to call?

The question lingered in Ivans mind. Who indeed.
WinterRat1
16:15:18 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Near the Renraku Arcology

Finn picks up. "I tell ya chummer, if I didn't like you so much, I dunno if I'd be able to take havin' ta talk to you on a regular basis like this." He grins.

"So what's going on?"
WinterRat1
12:00:00 Friday 12 January, 2063 - Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

At exactly 12:00:00, Nervous Stan walks towards the table and sits down, accompanied by a short, thin woman who Eyes recognizes. Her name is Carla Lundberg, and Eyes remembered her as being an influential character on the more extremist side of the People's University.

Her hair is tied back in a ponytail, and she wears circular glasses that, combined with her rather throwback (translation: 1960's hippie movement) look, lend her the air of a Vietnam War protester.

Exactly the stereotype of a liberal anarchist type student. And she lives up to that rep pretty well, last time I heard. Wonderful. This is who I'm dealing with?

As they're seated, Carla looks at Stan a moment then turns to Eyes. "Do you remember me James?"
Scrapheap
16:15:36 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Near the Renraku Arcology

"C'mon, you know you was waitin' by the comm for me to call.

"Listen, I just wanted ta let you know what I got outta the guys from this morning. Cheryl was the target, and the guns were all Yak recruits. Guy named Renzo Saguchi ordered the job. You heard of him? From what I remember, guy's a fraggin' wakashu. What's he doin' orderin' drek like this? And why Cheryl?"
Slipshade
16:40:15 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Renraku Arcology - Renraku Mall – Food Court

Max knew all to well the plight of the Wong’s son and daughter and what they faced. In some ways he was lucky to have changed so late. At least he knew who he was, even if he didn’t know what he was. But a young child going through those changes and being forced to leave her only support group could be devastating to her. Max already knew he would help the Wong’s in any way that he could. The only question now was how?

Robert paused in his story and Max looked at the stricken couple, not in pity but understanding.

“I have a few questions before we continue. How did SURGE change Cynthia? How did your colleague hear about this camp? Have you had any contact with Cynthia since she left for the camp? Does the clinic have anything to do with your children or is that a separate issue and most importantly. How can I help?"
WinterRat1
16:15:36 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Near the Renraku Arcology

“You’re outta touch chum. Saguchi’s moving up the ladder with a vengeance, and it’s drek like this that’s why. Building a name and a rep doing whatever it takes to whoever it takes and takin’ on all comers to climb the ladder. The yaks like that stuff, the old samurai spirit and all that. Anyway, rumor has it that Cheryl’s got ties to the Triads. Maybe there’s more truth there than people might commonly know about, you scan?”
WinterRat1
16:40:15 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Renraku Arcology - Renraku Mall – Food Court

Robert looks at Max sadly. “It’s hard to describe. I’m assuming you’re asking for the technical aspects of the change. I can fax you the medical reports later this evening along with a picture of her before and after for comparison.”

His eyes fill with tears, but he quickly blinks them away. “As for the camp, we’ve talked to Cynthia on the phone every night since she’s been there, and she says she’s doing well. Making friends who don’t care about how she looks and generally fitting in with everyone.”

Marina adds, “The guards scare her, but she says she hasn’t been mistreated at all, and she hasn’t seen them mistreating anyone else either. She says it’s very strict, but kind of like summer camp.”

Clearing his throat, Robert continues, “My colleague apparently was old friends with the director of the Center. When he heard about my problem he made some inquiries and asked if it would be an appropriate environment for Cynthia. He even took her down there personally to ensure that the director would take care of her and make sure she was all right.”

“As for the clinic, obviously my research is of interest to them, and we’ve been donors to it for some time now. I’ve done some work for them and several of their people have assisted me on various projects. Our relationship with them is mostly professional, although obviously with Cynthia, there’s now a personal element to it as well.”

Reaching across the table, Marina grabs Max’s hand and holds it tight. “Mr. Steiner, you are a respected academic and professional, as well as a solid upstanding citizen. Please, could you go down to the camp and take a look around? I’m sure Robert could arrange an introduction for you with the director. We’ve got people bringing Alex back, but there’s no guarantee he won’t just run away again.”

Her eyes are pleading, and her tone is slightly desperate, grasping at straws. “If you could go yourself, as a metahuman, look around, and then tell Alex everything is ok, he can’t help but believe you! And, you have the scientific and medical ability to verify that nothing is wrong with Cynthia. Once Alex knows his sister is safe and nothing bad is happening to her, maybe he’ll be content to stop this foolishness. He won’t listen to us or any of Robert’s colleagues, but maybe he’ll listen to you as a neutral, objective third party.”
Scrapheap
16:17:25 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Near the Renraku Arcology

"Outta touch? There's a fraggin' understatement...

"What about a guy named Ueda? You know anything about him? In general or in relation to Saguchi? He was workin' his way up back when I was in the know, but he did it more calm-like. Sounds like this Saguchi guy is some kinda loose cannon."
WinterRat1
16:18:01 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Near the Renraku Arcology

Finn looks at John strangely over the vid phone. "John...Renzo Saguchi is Ueda's enforcer. Worked his way up to that post recently. He's why Ueda doesn't have to get his hands dirty. Ueda took a liking to him while he was still a solider, and when Ueda moved up, he took Saguchi with him. Why are you asking all this? Are you in some kinda trouble with these guys I should know about?"
Slipshade
16:42:23 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Renraku Arcology - Renraku Mall – Food Court

Max places his other gloved hand over Marina’s. “I will go talk to the Director and Cynthia for you to make sure she is alright and to see this camp for myself. If she is not ok or I find anything wrong with the place I will need something from you in writing to allow me to take her out of the camp and bring her back to you if that is what you wish. Would you like me to inquire about your son as well, or are you going to leave that to the other people you have hired? If you do then I will talk with him upon my return. I will need some time to rearrange a previously planned research obligation that was to start tomorrow morning.”

The look of hope in Marina’s eyes told him that he was doing the right thing. Even the stoic Robert was giving him a look of gratitude.

“There are a few things I will need from you though. I will need the director’s name and the name of the colleague that pointed you to this camp. The information you mentioned about your daughter and the research you have done so far into her condition would also be helpful. I also need any information on the clinic, including the names of people you have met and worked with. They may not personally be involved in any wrong doings, but something is not right there.
Has the clinic been interested in your work in general or specifically your studies into SURGE? Has your work been done on-site or at your own research facility? And finally when do you anticipate a time can be set up to meet the director and visit the camp?
Scrapheap
16:19:15 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Near the Renraku Arcology

Frag! Good thing that call didn't go through...

"Nah, no trouble...least I hope not. I did some work for Ueda in the past. Just wanted ta make sure I didn't need to warn him about Saguchi.

"By the by, I set up a meet at Quinn's for 20:30:00. Rosie's sendin' someone that can maybe help me find Nora. Think you can keep a booth open?"
WinterRat1
16:19:58 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Near the Renraku Arcology

“So…” Finn’s voice turns suggestive and insinuating, “you’ve been back in touch with our lovely Rosa Olivo again, have you? Well, well, well…will wonders never cease? I’d heard you’d been getting things back together, but chummer, if you’re back with her, then you’re really getting it back together. Sure I’ll save a booth for you two.”

He chuckles. “Don’t worry, there won’t be any cameras…at least that you can see.” He grins widely, and then snaps his fingers. “Oh yeah! There’s something I forgot to ask you last time. I need a bodyguard for a courier job. Nothing serious, I just have to send someone down to the Redmond Barrens to pick up a data chip I don’t want exposed to the Matrix. Think you can run cover for my courier?”

He laughs out loud. “Hell, I’ll even pay those kids you’re hanging around with these days so they can go along with you. If you’re gonna be running with them, may as well put them through the paces, right?”
grendel
18:01:16 Friday, 12 January 2063, Capitol Hill Terrace, 1404 E. 14th Ave Apt 203, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

"Interfere in our affairs again, and you will see how effective we can accomplish a task. Do not become involved in affairs that are beyond your understanding. This will be your only warning."

The line goes dead.
bclements
18:05:44 Friday, 12 January 2063, Capitol Hill Terrace, 1404 E. 14th Ave Apt 203, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

’Beyond your understanding’. Fraggers Tony thought to himself, squeezing the psec tight enough to make the plastic casing groan in protest.

"Let's examine the situation," he said out lout to himself as he released his grip on the psec and took a deep breath. Whoever they are, they managed to tag me. It's not like I'm really hiding, but it isn't comfortable either. They also hacked my telecom, but that's not that hard. Straight up amateur stuff. he thought, walking into the kitchen to make a cup of coffee, wishing for a glass or two or whiskey that he'd have after the meet later tonight.

Flopping down on the couch and barely keeping the hot coffee in its cup, he flipped back on the trideo, now apparently free of whatever hold that Red Queen's decker had on it. Radian’s crew and the boys and girls in the garage weren’t fresh of the street, though. Need to stay out of their way if something happens. And I should have gotten the girl from the garage. Just do the next thing, though. Don’t hide until you need to. Get ahold of that decker, find out what's what. And if they get in my way, they go down. Nobody tells me what to do, not anymore Tony half promised himself, draining the last of the coffee and heading for the shower.

18:37:44 Friday, 12 January 2063, Capitol Hill Terrace, 1404 E. 14th Ave Apt 203, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS
The hot water from the shower helped to wash some of the unquiet that, despite his bravado Tony still felt. Toweling off in the dissipating steam of his bathroom, he noticed what time it was. Way too early to really get ready. he thought, also dismissing the idea of calling Ran again. It's not like I need to slot off any more deckers today he chuckled to himself as he scraped a razor over his face. Suddenly remembering last night, he quickly finished shaving and ran into his bedroom, grabbing his psec and dialing the number on the unfolded sheet of paper.

Ring-ring-ring
grendel
18:37:44 Friday, 12 January 2063 - Everett, Seattle, UCAS

Reign smiled at Trance, gloating. "I told you he'd call."

Her bodyguard rolled her eyes. "After what you did to him? It'd be the least he could do."

Reign chuckled, clicking open the line.

"Well hello there, cowboy."
bclements
18:38:02 Friday, 12 January 2063, Capitol Hill Terrace, 1404 E. 14th Ave Apt 203, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

'Hello yourself. I wanted to call and say I had a wonderful time last night. You could have stayed longer, though, Tony said, pushing an image of Priest out of his head. It's not like she didn't screw around with anyone he thought, sucessfully pushing aside his guilt for the moment.
The_Eyes
12:01:10 Friday 12 January, 2063 - Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Well, there are worse people to be dealing with. In theory, anyway. Inwardly Eyes sighed. The moment he had heard Nervous Stan's little speech from earlier that morning he should have known that Carla or one of her group was in charge. Only a very few of the factions at the University would think it was news that the Japs in San Fran were out to get them; the University itself was founded as part of a guerrilla war between the Japanese invaders and the people of Calfree after all.

Carla and her group was one of them. Most had convinced themselves that the People's University was little more than the old UC Berkeley, adapted to fit the modern era. As such, they felt they had a duty and a right to protest whatever inequity they saw, and genuinely believed that the righteousness and justice of their beliefs would see them through. They even seemed genuinely scandalized every time people started shooting at them.

This would make whatever task he'd be presented with harder, certainly. As he recalled, many of the extremist factions at the University had a rather flexible relationship with the truth, or at least they'd never let little things like the facts interfere with their ideals. So everything heard here is subject to fact-checking. What else is new?

After all, he'd run with the exact same crowd when he'd been at the University, before running away with his tail between his legs. He knew the score as well as anyone.

Smiling warmly at his old colleague, Eyes nodded in greeting. "Carla. It's been awhile," he said, passing her and Stan menus. "The special's not too bad, but they actually make surprisingly good braised tofu here too," he suggested, remembering that Carla was a vegan.

"So," Eyes continued, watching Carla over the top of his glasses, "how's life in the trenches?"
Scrapheap
16:21:07 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Near the Renraku Arcology

"We ain't back together or nothin,' so don't expect a show. She ain't that stupid...

"Naw, I started talkin' to her not long after you. AA and all that. We keep in touch." At this John shot a dirty look at the widely grinning Twiggy. "Knowin' you, I'm sure you've kept tabs on her and how she's doin' these days. She..."

"Frag yeah, I have! You should see Firebird's 4th quarter numbers. If you want..."

"No thanks, Finn. As I was sayin,' she said she'd send someone over to help a chummer of mine with a ritual. A ritual to track Nora. I'm meetin' them tonight at Quinn's. Thanks for the booth.

"Now, for the gig, I can probably do it nul persp. When and where?"

Knowin' my luck, I already have an idea of the where. I just wanna hear him say it...

grendel
18:38:14 Friday, 12 January 2063, Capitol Hill Terrace, 1404 E. 14th Ave Apt 203, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

"You don't really mean that. You like a little mystery in your women. Besides, breakfast is definitely a third date meal for me. But I do appreciate your call."
WinterRat1
16:45:19 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Renraku Arcology - Renraku Mall – Food Court

Marina grasps his hand tightly, tears streaming down her face. “Thank you…thank you so much…” For a brief moment, Max felt a surge of peace, knowing that just his willingness to help gave this family hope. Hope that their family would be ok, everything would turn out all right, and the light was streaming through the end of the tunnel.

Even Robert is profoundly affected by all this. Despite the resolve with which he had faced his death (or so he had thought) not too long ago, the idea that a relative stranger would go to such lengths to help them obviously touched him deeply.

The moment passes, and Robert regains his composure. “That is a lot of questions Mr. Steiner, only some of which I have the answers to now. Would it be acceptable to email you a complete list of answers to your questions later tonight or early tomorrow, or would you prefer I tell you what I can now and send you the rest later?”
WinterRat1
12:04:19 Friday 12 January, 2063 - Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

The waiter came and took their orders, and true to form, Carla ordered the braised tofu. After they were alone again, Carla looked at Eyes with a straight face. “Life in the trenches, as you call it, is what it’s always been. Hard work. A steadfast refusal to quit or abandon one’s ideals regardless of the cost is never easy, and never comes without sacrifice, blood, sweat, and tears. But then again, you wouldn’t know anything about that, would you, James?”

“Um…he is here, isn’t he, Carla? Maybe we should let the past be the past and just forget about it,” Stan suggested.

Although she nodded, her dismissive snort told Eyes that while she might be setting aside the past for now, she certainly wasn’t going to be forgetting it any time soon.

“I’ll be frank with you then James. Things have gone from bad to worse. The Union is still stubbornly clinging to their idealistic notion that if we just protest long, loudly, and nicely enough, the Japanese will just up and leave, because we’ve oh so gently convinced them of the error of their ways. Turn on the news, and you’ll see where that’s gotten us.” The venom is practically dripping from her voice.

But then again, Carla always was pretty hard line, enough that she scared off most of her fellow students. Not that she cared, of course. Eyes reflected.

Nodding for her to continue, Eyes took a sip of his water as he kept his internal musings to himself.

“Well, something’s finally happened to convince the Union leadership that we might have to take some more direct measures. That’s where you come in. There’s precious few of us willing to do what must be done, let alone able, and we can’t afford to send those people out into the field. And the more liberal elements don’t trust professional criminals to do right by the ideals and standards the People’s University adheres to. And so…”

“That’s where I come in, shadowrunner with a conscience, is that it?” Eyes asks dryly.

Stan is looking at Carla, obviously pleading with her to restrain herself in her response. As usual though, she ignored him.

“If it was up to me, I’d never talk to a coward and a traitor like you. But there are still those who think you’re the perfect man for the job, so they sent me here to feel you out. The only thing I’m interested in is if there’s even a shred of integrity left in you that still believes in the ideals you used to claim as your own.”
Carla, was that really necessary?” Stan asked plaintively.

Without even looking at him, she snapped, “We’re not here to be nice Stan. There are people, our people, suffering, and we need to do something about it, fast. If…James” it almost sounds painful for her to say his name, “isn’t up for it, then we need to find someone who is. So tell me, are you going prove me wrong and help your former brothers and sisters, or are you going to turn and keep running like the coward I always thought you were?”

That’s one way to phrase a request Eyes thinks dryly to himself as he gathers his thoughts on how to respond.
WinterRat1
16:22:12 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Near the Renraku Arcology

Snickering, Finn holds up his hands and shakes his head. “Hey chummer, you wanna deny it, that’s your biz. But no one would’ve stuck by you as long as she did without there being some real love there. And that kinda love, it don’t just vanish without leaving some traces, you scan?”

He turns serious again. “The exchange is scheduled for 23:45:00 tomorrow night, that’s Wednesday the 10th. The where is a safehouse in the Barrens. I’ll give you the address when you come by tonight. Just drop by and pick it up from me. Like I said, nothing heavy, just a quick jander there and back. I still want security, it being the Barrens and all, but I figure, why pay top rates for quality when I’ve got you running up a nice tab over here?”

They both grin at each other, when John’s phone beeps to indicate an incoming call. It’s Ueda-sama
Scrapheap
16:22:56 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Near the Renraku Arcology

"Ya had to go and spoil it with the tab crack, didn'cha? As I was about to say, as long as you can toss somethin' at the kids, consider us already settled." John looked down as at the readout as his phone started to beep. Frag

"Listen, Finn, I gotta take this. See ya tonight."

Armed with the new knowledge from his closest friend, and hoping he hadn't made a tactical mistake, John flipped his cigarette out the window, removed his hat, and answered the call.

"Ueda-sama. You honor me by returning my call. I hope you are well?"
Slipshade
16:46:50Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Renraku Arcology - Renraku Mall – Food Court

Max released Marina’s hand and thought about Robert’s question for a moment.

“I think it would be best to give me what information you can now and send me the rest when you have had a little time to reflect on my questions and conversation. With a clearer head you may remember something that you would otherwise have forgotten to mention.”
WinterRat1
16:23:19 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Near the Renraku Arcology

Ueda nods in acknowledgement. “The honor is mine as well, John-san. I am doing well, and I hope that you are likewise?”

John nods once, respectfully, and Ueda continues, “I have been informed that you called twice earlier. I apologize for not being able to take your calls at that time. It was hinted to me that the matter was of some urgency. You have my undivided attention now, please feel free to inform me of those prior urgent matters.”
Scrapheap
16:23:44 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Near the Renraku Arcology

"I apologize for the repeated calls, Ueda-sama, but I was concerned that the information might be of a time-sensitive nature. I received some information that I thought best to bring to your attention." John paused to gather his thoughts before speaking, trying to choose his words carefully. Luckily, his mediocre Japanese tended to add a deliberate pace to his speech. "I do so as a precaution, on the slight chance that you are currently unaware of the events which transpired this morning. If that is that case, and these events did occur without your knowledge, then I believe that they would be an insult to your authority...and a possibly danger to you."

Ueda was nothing if not patient. The bland-looking Japanese man blinked once before speaking. "Please continue."

"There was an incident at a downtown-area restaurant this morning. A Chinese woman was the target. I have it on good authority that the instigators were there at the order of a Renzo Saguchi.

"If Saguchi-san was operating within the authority granted to him, then I humbly apologize for wasting your time and beg your forgiveness. If not, well, you can see why I chose to call a second time."
bclements
18:38:35 Friday, 12 January 2063, Capitol Hill Terrace, 1404 E. 14th Ave Apt 203, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

"Mystery's nice, but I could have given you a ride back to your car. Well, maybe we can work toward that and breakfast at the same time. I've got a meeting with a client this evening, but I should be free later on. Care to meet up again somewhere?" Tony said. It was a little risky set up a date after a meet, but this job didn't seem like it would be last minute rush thing.
grendel
18:38:44 Friday, 12 January 2063, Capitol Hill Terrace, 1404 E. 14th Ave Apt 203, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

"Maybe, we'll see how things go tonight. Find me at Bluefish again after nine tonight."

Reign's voice is soft and teasing.
Shadow
23:35:00 Wednesday 10 January 2063- Ivans Apartment, South Seattle, UCAS

Big blue eyes filled the screen as soon as Ivan was done dialing the 'trid. She was beautiful beyond compare, curly golden locks, flawless skin, and those piercing blue eyes. The only flaw on her was the metal wheel chair she was forced to sit in day in and day out.

"Hey Ivan, yah big lug, what up?"

The girl’s voice was as enthusiastic as ever. Despite her wheelchair status, her attitude was always up-beat.

"Hi Virus, I be havink a problem, it is posseeble that old enemies from mother Russia have tracked Ivan down. I need to be knowing if there is anything on Red Vory activity here in Seattle. Can you be doingk this?"

She smiled at the russian through the trid, "sure thing big guy, why don't you swing by my place first thing and I will let you know what I have, later alligator." The trid went black.

She is always so cheerful about life.

The trauma that put Virus in a wheelchair also led her to being one of the whiz hot deckers around at 20. Ivan believed it had to do with her attitude about life, in or out of a chair.
bclements
18:38:48 Friday, 12 January 2063, Capitol Hill Terrace, 1404 E. 14th Ave Apt 203, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

"It'll probably be closer to ten for me, mi bonita. But I'll see you there," Tony said, remembering that he did need to have some time to talk to that decker before hooking up with Reign.
The_Eyes
12:09:13 Friday 12 January, 2063 - Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Eyes kept his face unreadable, and took the opportunity to stare at Carla. This was one of the things he loved to do: you've never really stared at anyone until you've done it through metal eyes. He kept it up as Carla stared back as best she could, with a vain attempt to keep anger and frustration off her face. In the corner of his vision he noticed Stan becoming more and more fidgety, glancing between the two of them more and more nervously.

Finally Eyes couldn't hold back any more and burst into laughter. "Wow, you really haven't changed a bit, have you?" he chuckled, "Not even a millimeter, even to save your own skin." He took a sip of water to wash down the mirth still bubbling up in his throat. "Just hearing the voice of someone with that much devotion to, well any cause, but especially yours, is like a breath of fresh air."

He knew at that moment he was in, almost despite himself. Sure, the accusations themselves stung, but really the thinly-veiled insults were not much worse than the things Eyes had said to himself in the past six months. Whoever it was who sent Carla to recruit Eyes obviously knew him very well.

Knows better than you do, probably. Eyes blinked in confusion, wondering if that 'you' was referring to Carla or himself. Covering by taking another sip of water--and privately wishing it were alcohol--he got back on track. "All right, pleasantries aside, what particular mission of redemption is this prodigal son being baited with?"
bclements
23:37:55 Wednesday 10 January 2063- 18-41 Aberdeen Ave S. Renton, Seattle, UCAS

After bidding Ivan goodbye, Virus mentally switched away from reading “Applications of Reality-Based Objects in the Wireless Format”, a research paper from Erika that was conveniently posted on the Helix, and loaded up a couple of copies of Tonto to do a quick search. “Wow, I need to work on your wardrobe after this,” she noted, quickly rearranging his headdress with yellow cartoon arms and making a task to update his iconography later on. “Time to go to town, kimosabe,” her smiley face icon said, while translating her search terms into Holo-LISP.

“And stay away from the firewater,” she said, sticking her tongue out at the Apache-esque scouts as they left on their tasking. One returned almost immediately after being sent out with an old fashioned letter. “News from town,” the brave said stoically, almost running off again to search before Virus stopped him with a hand on the shoulder. “Hmm, that’s interesting. Keep this up and I'll get you a new wardrobe prontissmo” she said, after opening and reading the note from Shadowland. Refining her search terms, she let the agent go again with a large grin before turning back to her paper. Tonto nodded and vanished into the ether of the Matrix.
Bastard
21:34:12 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Fall Inn, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"Well, maybe I'm a rare case," Marquis replies, half disappointed in her response.

"I have a second question for you as well. Tonight, a new client, I just did a job for him, called me at home. I dont know how he got the number, he said he got it from a friend, but I know that friend didn't give it to him. How worried should I be? I am supposed to meet him tonight, he said it was quite important."
WinterRat1
16:49:17 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Renraku Arcology - Renraku Mall – Food Court

Robert nods at Max. “All right Mr. Steiner, to answer your questions in order. The director’s name is Dr. Michael Kuwambe, and my colleague’s name is Dr. Hideo Ashikawa. As far as my research into SURGE, I am reluctant to confess I have not discovered anything significantly more valuable than the basic level of knowledge that the scientific community has been able to discover thus far. Still, I will give you what I have.”

Max nodded in understanding. Not many people knew much of real value about SURGE, and while no one liked to admit it, the simple fact was that everyone in the scientific community was still searching for answers.

“As far as the clinic itself, I’ve dealt directly with Hideo only, to be honest with you. He’s their chairperson and as a favor to me, has handled my daughter’s case himself this entire time. I don’t know whom else at the clinic he worked with on her case, but I’m sure there must be others involved. He, and I would assume by extension, the clinic, has been interested in a wide body of my work. I focus on genetics, and I would gather such a field would be potentially interesting to them on many levels. I’ve worked at my own facilities and taken research trips to work at several of theirs, was there anything in particular you wanted to know about that?”

It was obvious Marina’s biggest concern was when Max would be able to visit the camp, because she interrupted her husband, “That’s all well and good dear, but when can we get Mr. Steiner in to see Cynthia?

Squeezing his wife’s hand, Robert answered, “As soon as we get home dear, I’ll call Hideo and ask him what can be done.” He turns to Max, “As soon as I know, you’ll know,” which draws a nod of acceptance.

“Is there anything else we can do to help you Mr. Steiner?” Marina asks anxiously.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012