Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
Slipshade
00:27:27 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

"John, that troll is bad news. He has more metal in him than you do." Max stated as the warehouse was lit by the swirling auras of the people around him. Anxioty, fear and tension ripped through the people outside of the glass mixed with confusion and annoyance.

He could feel the tickle of the unbound spirit in the back of his mind. He pushed back the urge to call it to him. The situation was tense enough without him overracting, but he had to admit that he wasn't to happy with the interuption. He didn't care who the odd looking man in red was and his interruption was delaying information that he needed to have. A suprising wave of anger rushed at him.

He is but an obstacle in our path. The shaman could feel Gargoyle speaking to him. Deal with him if you must, but do it quickly and do not let him distract you from our prey.

It still jared Max when he thought of Keira as prey, but Gargoyle was single minded when he was on the hunt.

Gargoyles voice did help to focus his thoughts. Something was not right here. Mr. Cao and his people were hiding something and whether or not their motives where altruistic or not didn't matter to him. He needed answers, so while the others were distracted by the men at the door, Max leaned back into his chair and closed his eyes letting his conciousness slip from his body.
Slipshade
00:27:30 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens - The Astral

Max's conciousness hovered over his body on marble wings. He gave a nod to those mages around him that may be watching and with a thought spread his wings and flew from the room his meat body inhabited. His avatars head swiveled back and forth looking for the aura of his friend.

He knew it was a stupid risk, but at the moment he didn't care.
bclements
00:27:29 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

Cao heard John's call. "No, I don't think that will be necessary. Everyone, please stay calm," he said loud enough to carry but not loud enough to threaten. If the fact that John brought some weapons into the shelter upset him, the troll should have caused him to scream. He looked to be built like a walking weapon, and the belligerant attitude of this fool in red was making everyone on edge. He'd seen and even fomented some situtations like these in the past, and he knew all too well how quickly things got out of hand.

He knew from experience that a calming voice was needed. The Sickles weren't going to back down from a fight on their own turf. Making slow, 'calm down' hand gestures toward everyone, he asked the man in red calmly "What do you want to see me for?", and noticing his gaze seemed to be distracted.
bclements
23:54:59 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Openwater Aquarium Supplies, 907 E Prospect St., Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"Well, Zedya saidya wanted someone dat knew what dey were about," Roscoe said in his peculiar accent, rolling up one sleeve to show a large, prominent arching tattoo that stood out among others hidden by his shirt, that said AIRBORNE in black letters on a muscular background of skin.

" 'twas a divisional mage back down south, up till a few years ago. Mostly use spirits; I know howta do de flashy stuff but da Army don't have much use fo it. Know how to shoot, and fight too, but I usually don't haveta. And use the register," he finished, smiling and pointing over to the point-of-sale system to his left.

"You were sayin something 'bout dangerious and lucrative?" he said, arching a reddish black eyebrow.
banditf50
00:27:50 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

Icy January rain drops dripped down from Blaze's brow, seeping into his eyes, yet not breaking his gaze. The petty argument with the punk doorman, the fact that he could already feel the water getting inside of his jacket, the tribulations of so many associates seeming to drop out of buisness over the last two days . . . . nothing could displace his mind from this moment.

Up until his eyes locked onto the women that Blaze knew to be Melissa he was only hoping upon all hopes that he would get to his cousin before anyone else. Now he knew . . .for now his family was safe.

He could hear the inquiring tone of the man whom must be Cao, but addressing him did not seem to work it's way out, all Blaze could muster was . . ."Melissa, Margaret sent me to keep you safe."
grendel
23:55:27 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Openwater Aquarium Supplies, 907 E Prospect St., Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Vedic nodded, unrolling the screen of his commlink.

"I met with this woman tonight, her name is Vanessa. She is receiving unwanted advances from this individual here, Norman Anderson. I've got a basic file started on him, and a further inquiry outstanding. Obviously we will require more information before acting, but the desired result is for Mr. Anderson to cease his pursuit. The job doesn't pay much, but it's enough to seed the shadows for more. Even partnership, fifty fifty split. Do we have an accord?"
bclements
00:27:53 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

Cao followed the loudly-dressed man's gaze back to the office, seeing it fall on Lady Dove. Typical, he said, having seen something like it before and often, and not hearing the man's words.

Turning back around and clearing his throat to re-attract attention while walking toward the man, he asked again, cordially and politely, "You asked for me. What can I help you with?"
banditf50
00:28:03 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

"I asked for you because you are than man encharge of this place." Blaze's temper had calmed a bit now that he wasn't dealing with the gutter-trash watching the door, but he was at the end of his hunt, and there was no way failure was an option now.

Still keeping his gaze on Melissa . . .
"The ladie's name is Melissa Walker, and she is my cousin. Her mother, my Aunt Margaret asked me to help find her as she had gone missing. I tracked her as far as this building, which has brought me to you."

Facing back to Cao the shaman held his ground. "I am relieved to find her alive and well, so I can only assume that you have been kind to her, for which I am most grateful. But I would like to speak with my cousin."
bclements
00:28:26 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

"I'm sure that can be arrainged," Cao said, grinning slightly and happy to have defused the situtation. Nodding to the lead Sickle on his right, he spoke again to this man who wore sunglasses at night, into a not-very-well-lit building. "Give me a moment to speak with her, to determine if you are who you say you are. Please remain here," Cao said, backing off slowly, turning, and walking back toward the office.
bclements
23:55:38 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Openwater Aquarium Supplies, 907 E Prospect St., Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"Don't seem very dangerous," Roscoe said while studying the picture. "How lucreative?" he finished.
grendel
23:55:52 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Openwater Aquarium Supplies, 907 E Prospect St., Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"The danger is commensurate with the pay," replied Vedic. "Thousand nuyen total, five hundred now, five hundred when the client is satisfied."
bclements
23:56:06 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Openwater Aquarium Supplies, 907 E Prospect St., Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"A thousand?" Roscoe asks. "Only a thousand?" he asks again, rubbing the base of his hands against his eyes, wrinkling the pale brown skin of his scalp.

"Depending on wat ya need, I can do it fo dat." he says, looking back at Vedic after glancing at the screen, almost in resignation.
grendel
23:56:18 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Openwater Aquarium Supplies, 907 E Prospect St., Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"We must crawl before we walk, and walk before we run." Vedic withdrew a certified credstick from within his coat, transferring the remaining five hundred nuyen from the initial thousand that Vanessa paid to Roscoe.

"Now, do you have any resources which might provide us with additional information on Anderson?"
bclements
23:56:19 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Openwater Aquarium Supplies, 907 E Prospect St., Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Only after he watched his cheap psec's credit balance tip to 500 nuyen, Roscoe answered.

"I can dig a bit. How'd dis chick meet our esteemed Mr. Anderson?"
grendel
23:56:32 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Openwater Aquarium Supplies, 907 E Prospect St., Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"I've included the details of my interview with the client this afternoon along with the file she provided on Anderson. She claims to have first met him via an online dating service, chatting with him several times before agreeing to a face to face meeting."
bclements
23:57:45 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Openwater Aquarium Supplies, 907 E Prospect St., Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Roscoe nods, pulling up the file and paging down it with a thumbwheel. After a moment, he looks up from the psec, "Dating Seattle? Man, I've used dis place before, wat's dis chick look like again?" It was a rhetorical question, as he looked down and pulled up Vanessa's picture.

"Never met anyone like that online up here. One girl back at Bragg, she was smokin, but out of her fraggin mind. Fun for a bit, but totally fragged up. I'll look at it, I got an account still 'here I think. Hope you got someone else lookin', cause I ain't no commint guy."

grendel
23:58:04 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Openwater Aquarium Supplies, 907 E Prospect St., Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Vedic nodded, drinking from his bottle of water again.

"I do. It may prove valuable that you retain an account with the same service as Anderson. Do you have any contacts which might be able to open additional lines of inquiry?"
Tiredronin
00:28:30 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

At the mention of the name Melissa Walker, ETC briefly looks up to identify the human woman who is his primary objective, then returns to counting the targets in front of him, shifting his vision so that each one blazes bright red in his not-so-natural thermographic vision.
bclements
14:58:30 Saturday, 13 January 2063 – The Unbottled Spirit, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Tony's lips were on fire, and it took two slow wipes from the ice cold mug and a swallow from the dark brew to calm the spicy chemical fire from the dry rub ribs down to something other than a raging inferno.

"Yeah, I remember what happened," Tony said around the icey mug, still cool his lips. Truth be told, he'd only been in Seattle for the very end of the era, but being green from the Academy it seemed that he'd been thrown to a pack of very hungry wolves on a completely different planet. Sam had helped and guided him during that time, but Tony was largely left to find out the hard way that most of what he'd learned didn't quite work in the real world. He'd changed, adapted, learned, survived and in some cases thrived until the rug got pulled out from under him. From under all of them.

Now, apparently, the wolves looked lean again. However, he wasn't the so-green-it-hurt twenty one year old he'd been. The more things change

"So, who's starting the fire this time? And what's going on down in Calfree?"
WinterRat1
00:27:33 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

Keeping an eye on the man in red and the monstrous troll with the trombone case, John took the opportunity to observe the warehouse in more detail. Calling on his cybernetic enhancements, he scanned the warehouse floor as best he could, hoping to spot a glimpse of Nora or Keira.

Unfortunately, the place was rather dark, and crowded with shelves, crates, oil drums, forklifts, and other assorted items one would expect to find in a warehouse. From the people he saw, he did not spot who he was looking for, but given how big the warehouse was and how little his field of vision revealed, that wasn't saying much.

00:27:34 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens - The Astral

Unencumbered by his physical form, Max quickly and easily whipped around the first floor of the warehouse, searching for any signs of Nora or Keira. Unfortunately, he saw nothing. Just as he was about to ascend to the second floor to continue his search, the realization hit him that he had no idea what Nora's aura looked like. For all he knew, she was right there and he could've have passed right by her. Pausing for a moment, he tried to quickly determine if there was any way he knew of to spot Nora.

00:27:38 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

As Max leaned back in his seat and closed his eyes, his astral projection apparent to anyone with knowledge of magical abilities, Lady Dove looked over at Knight expectantly, obviously expecting him to do something. Although Knight could clearly see what the visitor was doing, he let precious seconds tick away while remaining entirely inactive for some reason she couldn't fathom.

Finally she sighed in frustration and leaned back against the wall, folding her arms over her chest and looking at the floor, appearing bored and uninterested with this particular interview.

00:27:40 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens - The Astral

"It's not very polite to wander around other people's homes uninvited," a soft, gentle voice said, interrupting Max's thoughts. Apparently, while Max had been thinking, that had allowed Lady Dove to project as well, and now she 'stood' in front of him. Or perhaps 'above', might be more accurate, given that she was floating on the same level as the second floor while he remained at the level of the first floor. He wondered how she could have gotten there before he did, when he remembered that only movement in the astral was faster than the physical world. Time still passed the same in both places.

"For someone who comes to a sanctuary armed then claims to have nothing but good intentions, I must say that so far your actions are definitely speaking louder than your words. Why don't you go back to your body so we can talk this out, rather than you trying to sneak around like a thief in the night?" Lady Dove continued quietly.
Slipshade
00:27:43 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens - The Astral

Max was finding it hard to stay cool in this situation and the woman's accusations annoyed him to no end.

"I have told you nothing but the truth since I came here tonight. I have been honest and forthwright in our dealings, but it is apparent to me that you have not. There is something you are not telling John and I, that is a fact, so you can save the name calling Miss. The only ones hiding anything are you and your friends."

Max made no aggresive movements, at least here he could talk to someone without all of the distractions downstairs.

"Now would you tell me what is going on, so I can help me friend find his neice and I can find my friend."
WinterRat1
00:27:57 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens - The Astral

The woman looks almost amused. "And what makes you think you have the right to know everything we know? Upon what do you base this assumption that you have some intrinsic ownership of all the facts and speculations we possess, and therefore our lack of immediate disclosure to you presents some kind of failing on our part?"

She folds her arms across her chest. "Do not blame the lack of progress in your search on our unwillingness to assist you. You saw quite clearly the interruption presented by the man in red and the monster he brought with him. Would you prefer we allow their potential for violence to expand until it explodes, simply because you came here first and do not feel like waiting for a few minutes until that situation has been diffused? If you are willing to risk violence by very capable individuals against innocent lives simply because you lack the patience to wait, then I do indeed question whether or not helping you is the moral course of action and I certainly question your insinuations that we 'owe' you the information that you seek."

"I apologize if you think I was calling you names, but it is a very reasonable assumption that honorable people with honorable intentions do not resort to stealth over dialogue, especially when the dialogue has been only temporarily halted and only because of our interest of the safety of innocent people. If you and your friends really are innocent and have good intentions, I would think you would understand this."

She points back to the interview room. "Now will you return to the physical world so we can talk this out, as we should, with all concerned parties present?"
Slipshade
00:28:16 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens - The Astral

“What right? Maybe the fact that John and I know more about these people than you possibly could. Maybe Nora’s family wants to see their niece again and know that she is safe. Maybe, I care more for Keira than you possible could understand.” Max was really fed up with this situation, mostly because he knew what he did was rash and stupid, but the arrogance of this woman and her seeming amusement at their situation burned him.

“You’re right I have no patience for this and if you had gone through what John and I have been through in the past few days, you wouldn’t either, so don’t be so quick to judge me and my actions.” Max had been judged everyday since his SURGE, just walking down the street and feeling the stares of those around him, judging him was bad enough, but Max had always, always tried to be honorable and honest with those around him. Had the last few days changed that?

‘This is not the way.’ He could feel Gargoyle’s displeasure. ‘A hunter is as patient as he is relentless.’

Max’s form crumpled. The man had barely slept for two days. His friend had been taken from him and he couldn’t do anything to stop it. He had spent every waking moment tracking her and for the first time in his life broken the law to do so.

“What have I become?” he says quietly.
bclements
23:58:32 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Openwater Aquarium Supplies, 907 E Prospect St., Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"Nah, not realla," Roscoe said, writing some notes in his psec. "Call me back at'a 'round 10 in da mornin', dough. We'll see wat I got by then, and how you'd want to go 'bout de rest," he said, thumbing into the device while looking at the picture still unfolded on Vedic's screen.

WinterRat1
00:28:30 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens - The Astral

Lady Dove smiled gently. Softly she answered him, "I do not want to come across as if we don't care about the plight of you and your friends. And I don't want to seem as if we are judging you. But you know the world we live in. If you really have the best interests of Nora and Keira in mind, would you want us to tell anyone who asked everything we knew about them, or would you want us to make certain that what we said would not lead to greater harm?"

If one could walk tentatively in astral space, Lady Dove would be doing so as she approached Max. Slowly kneeling down beside him, she carefully reaches out and pats his hand. "I mean this in the kindest possible way, but you are not the only one who has suffered greatly in this world. If you really want to help others, you would extend us grace for being careful in how we help others. Do you think we don't care about others? Do you think the people here have not suffered greatly? Do you think we don't want the best for your friends? If you ask us to extend to you the benefit of the doubt, I would ask the same in return, if only out of recognition for the fact that we don't want to help people in the short run only to inadvertnantly cause them harm in the long run. Do you understand?"

00:28:30 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens - The Physical

Pleased that he had managed to avert a confrontation, Cao Jaan turned to go back to the interview room, Blaze's eyes on him all the way, when both men watched in surprise, then horror, as Lady Dove, who had been leaning casually against the wall, suddenly crashed to the floor and remained motionless on the ground.
Slipshade
00:28:53 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens - The Astral

Of course he understood, he even knew that she was right, if Keira had taught him anything it was that the problems of the haves are nothing compared to those that have so very little. He was too exhausted and too emotionally drained to do anything but nod.

With a thought he was inside his body again.
bclements
00:28:32 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens - The Physical

Cao felt the pleased feeling of avoided potential violence evaporate as he walked into the office. Rushing over to where Lady Dove, he looked with accusing eyes at both John and the just-beginning-to-stir Max, then up at Knight.

"What happened here?" he said, picking her up slightly off the floor while crouched next to her, looking for injuries. He was worried, both about his friend and what happened to her and her supposed cousin behind him, and his instrument-case-toting friend.
Mister Juan
00:27:19 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

As Cao left the office and walked in a calm pace toward the entrance of the warehouse, Knight started to follow him… but suddenly stopped dead in his track. Now next to John, he looked at his own reflection in the older man covered cyber eyes, as if he was trying to pierce thru it and into the runner's eyes. It wasn’t difficult to see that he elf was concerned about the situation, and that something was making him uneasy. Knight looked back to where Lady Dove was standing for a few seconds, and turned his attention toward Cao. It was obvious… he wanted to be close enough to protect both.

The elf finally spoke up for the first time since he had entered the room. What came out of his mouth wasn’t particularly what John expected.

“Your offer is quite generous sir, but I do believe that Mr. Cao hereby will be capable to handle such a delicate social interaction.” He said in a soft voice, which sounded strangely british to John’s ears.

His mouth half opened, about to say something, Knight paused. Something had caught his attention. Over John’s shoulder, in the office, something had caught his attention. With a subtle shift of his weigh, the elf’s coat parted slightly open, making John’s hyped up reflexes twitch. Knight silently cursed himself for not doing something earlier. He was slow… way too slow.

00:28:32 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

As Cao, rushed to Lady Dove’s side, Knight finally did something he considered right. He took a few rapid steps, interposing himself between his employer and the rest of the group. His movement were fluid and graceful. His coat was now neatly parted back, one of the flap resting behind the beautifully crafted handle of a sheeted katana. His own delicate hand was resting on the handle, a thumb slightly pushing against the hand guard, as the soft and dimmed ambient light danced on the part of the blade that was showing.

“Sincerest of apologies sir.” The elf said through is teeth. All his senses were turned toward the four men.

The office was now filled with more threats than Knight felt capable of dealing with. The professor’s companion, who sported some rather heavy cyberware, had already admitted to knowing the other man who had now joined the little reunion. That meant the odds could now be at a 4 to 1… against him.
grendel
23:59:43 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Openwater Aquarium Supplies, 907 E Prospect St., Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"How about eleven hundred tomorrow. We can get something to eat and talk business."

Vedic dipped his head in something resembling a formal gesture before turning and disappearing out the exit. He cleared himself left and right down the street, once again scanning the windows, the corners of the alleyways, rooftops, and the skies in between. Everywhere an ambush might lie or surveillance assets might be positioned. Mentally he compared the current view with the image he held in his memory before entering the shop. He walked around his vehicle as well, checking to make sure no one had tampered with it. Sliding into the driver's seat, he selected Studio Milan as his destination. After all, it was only midnight.
banditf50
00:28:37 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

"Calm down, no reason to get excited. I am going to stay right where I am." Blaze spoke as he held his empty hands up in front of him gesturing towards the sword-toting elf. His voice was calm enough considering the lump that had jumped in his throat when Cao rushed over to Melissa. Blaze wanted to follow, but knew that such an action would cause worlds more harm than good.

Seeing the elf's eyes flick toward the hulk behind him Blaze indicated with a jerk of his head, "We're both gonna stay right here."
Scrapheap
00:28:35 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

John said nothing as Cao rushed into the room and the elf called Knight moved into a defensive posture. He simply shifted his weight onto the balls of his feet and altered his positioning so that he had a clear view of everyone. It was all very subtle.

He'd seen mages project before, so he assumed that was what had happened here. That Lady Dove had slumped and then fallen immediately after Max probably meant that she was awakened and had chased him... or whatever. Unless they had fought, and Max had won, she should be stirring now. Or so he hoped.

Blaze being here confused him, but the red-coated runner seemed to know Dove. Judging by the giant trombone-toting fragger behind him, he must have come expecting trouble. The way the troll moved, the dispassionate way he scanned the room, made the old samurai nervous. Max had said that the troll sported more 'ware than he did, which didn't always lead to stability or good judgement. Replacing living flesh and bone with titanium and plastic did...things to people, something he knew all too well.

As if reading his mind, Blaze spoke and broke the growing tension. "Calm down, no reason to get excited. I am going to stay right where I am. We're both gonna stay right here."

John nodded, but didn't relax. His eyes never leaving the troll, he addressed Max around the smoke dangling from the corner of his mouth. "You ok, chummer?"
Tiredronin
00:28:38 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

ETG was glad his employer showed self-restraint, and considers the possiblity of not having to mow down everybody else in the room. Clearly Melissa was not among enemies or captors. Cao's response to her collapse told him that much. And this elf in front of him would fight to protect her. Those other two in the room were still unknowns but had done nothing threatening yet.

This may be simpler than we thought.

But in the back of his mind, he knows, it never is.
bclements
00:28:45 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

"What happened?" Cao repeated urgently, checking Lady Dove for injuries. The one called Mr. Steiner was, on the second, sparing glance he shot over that way, was in the same posture as Lady Dove. Seated in the chair, he had looked at first as if he was still there.

Footfalls behind him turned him around; the red costumed man had come toward the office. Knight moved quickly in a blocking position. Trusting him, Cao felt quickly, trying to find a pulse and any obvious injuries.
Mister Juan
00:28:50 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

Although it seemed to Knight everyone was looking for a quiet and simple discussion, he had learn at quite a young age that things were never what they appeared to be. Rosepetal had taught him that fact of life.

His bright green eyes kept jumping from one occupant of the room to next, but not in a nervous fashion. It was as if the elf wanted to make it clear he was watching and sizing up everyone.

Even following Blaze's plea for calm, Knight's delicate hand held tight on his sword. Nevertheless, he did acknowledge it.

“Duly noted sir. Your cooperative disposition is appreciated.”

He then spoke to Cao, without turning his head toward him.

"Again sir, my sincerest apologies. This gentleman over there" he nodded toward Max "took it upon himself to run some astral errand. I have a strong inclination to believe that our Lady here took offence and gave him chase."
Mister Juan
23:56:22 Saturday January 13, 2063; E Marginal Way S At S Michigan St, Seattle

Blinking a few times, Ludmila looked at Scratch from over her shades and simply nodded at his statement. Reaching in a pocket that rode high on one of the sleeve of her jacket, she pulled out a hair thin cable. The woman cocked her head to the side, slipping the jack in a tiny port situated behind her right ear. She then ran the cable to another plug next to the steering wheel. The Comet had very limited sensors, but if she had to drive off in a hurry, it would be easier to use the backward looking cams, rather than the rear view mirror.

She made sure the Remington was neatly next to her gear shifting hand, and switched on her wired reflexes. It was time to dance.

Once the gate was open enough for the Comet to slide through, she started to ease the car in as a slow but steady pace.
grendel
15:01:27 Saturday, 13 January 2063 – The Unbottled Spirit, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Sam shook his head, worrying free another hunk of meet from the rib clutched in his hands.

"It's not just one side, one corp. Everybody's on the move. I'm hearing it from all quadrants: matrix, mercenary, smuggler, runner, corporate. There's too much movement. That's what I'm trying to say."

The grizzled bartender shotgunned half his beer before slamming it back down on the table.

"There's not going to be anything to hold back the tide, no forces to act in a damping manner against the pendulum. This is going to be a bad storm, kid. An extinction level event."
Scrapheap
23:58:03 Saturday January 13, 2063 - NYK Shipmanagement Staging Lot A-6, E Marginal Way S At S Michigan St, Seattle

The gate rolled to the left, rattling the entire time. As soon as there was enough clearance, Ludi pulled the Mercury slowly forward. The loader's spotlight remained fixed on the car, making surrounding details difficult to discern. From what little she could see during the quick glances she was willing to risk, Ludi could tell that they were flanked on both sides by large plasteel shipping containers, spaced about 2 meters apart. Probably just enough room for the loader to maneuver the containers into place.

Checking the small window in her cybereye's image link that displayed the rear camera, the slim russian noted that the gate began to close once the Comet had passed entirely into the yard. The gate itself was simple chain-link topped with razorwire. Nothing she couldn't drive through if needed, though that would surely damage her new car. Once again she cursed the need to bring her private vehicle.

The car continued to creep slowly forward. The spotlight followed, slowly revealing a figure standing in the middle of the yard, hands clasped in front, holding a briefcase. As Ludi's eyes adjusted, she could see it was a tall human woman dressed in a dark grey business suit. Her braided hair was pulled into a tight tail and her black skin gleamed in the Comet's headlamps.

From the passenger side, Scratch swallowed nervously, but remained silent. Pulling a battered Ares Viper from his waistband, he checked the load, then turned to look at Ludmilla expectantly.
Slipshade
00:28:53 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

Max's body stirred and his eyes opened. He was assailed by the astral swirl of the people around him. The air was thick with concern and unease. Mostly of his doing to be truthful. As usual his transition to his body disoriented him for a few seconds.
Mister Juan
23:58:13 Saturday January 13, 2063 - NYK Shipmanagement Staging Lot A-6, E Marginal Way S At S Michigan St, Seattle

Ludmilla’s inner voice kept whispering in her ears that something was off. She dealt with her instinct like she dealt with everything else; she shoved it aside in the corner of her head, gave it a few hits so it would shut the frag up and ignored it. She was just nervous. Everything was going to be fine.

But why the blinding light? If things took a bad turn, the first shots would go for the spotlight.

Her face projected an attitude of dead calm mixed in with a tad of her own regular aggressive approach: eyes like two slits behind her shades, eyebrows low, jaw clenched. The woman’s foot slowly eased off the accelerator as she came within a few feet of what she expected was Scratch’s Johnson. As she stopped her vehicle, she left it idling and turned to the decker. Her left hand extended toward him, palm opened and up, she was obviously asking for the data..
WinterRat1
00:28:55 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

As the tension mounts steadily, abruptly Lady Dove stirs and opens her eyes. Looking up at Cao Jaan she quickly takes in the situation and asks, "What's going on here? What happened?"
Slipshade
00:29:00 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

"As you pointed out Ms. Dove. I'm afraid my rash decision has helped stress an already taught situation. For that I appologize." Max said asuming that the stir was caused by his actions. He sat up fully in his chair. His face clearly showing the embarassment of his actions and the emotional pain of dealing with the events of the past days.
bclements
00:29:03 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

"I accept your apology, but please do not take any further actions. Prying into your host's affairs without asking isn't a polite thing to do, and we've already offered to help," Cao said,pitching his voice so that the red-caped man could hear it. He thought about saying something about the weaponry that John and the gigantic troll behind him probably carried, but cool sense and not wanting the others outside to be further drawn in prevailed. You must think of them before the actions that you used to take. he thought quickly, taking a deep breath.

Turning his head looking down at Lady Dove, he asked again "Are you alright? What happened?" Cao said gently.
WinterRat1
00:29:24 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

Lady Dove smiles up at Cao Jaan, then gently disentangles herself and rises to her feet unassisted. “Thank you for your concern, I am fine. As Mr. Steiner stated, he took a rash action by suddenly astrally projecting. I followed, and we discussed why that may not have been the best action to take in this situation.”

She flashes Max a brief but friendly smile, then turns back to Cao Jaan. “But I believe that issue has been resolved, and Mr. Steiner sees the error of his previous action. I do not believe he will be so rash again.”

Looking over Cao Jaan’s shoulder at Blaze and ETG, she leans in close to Cao Jaan and whispers as softly as she can, “Who are those two? Did you find out what they want? And I think we should tell Mr. Steiner and his friend about the girl and the letter. They might know something we don’t.”

Lady Dove steps back, but her eyes continue to make their case as she looks up at Cao Jaan. Her concern for everyone involved is palpable, and it’s obvious tense standoffs and meetings like this are not her forte.

One immediate piece of evidence towards that observation was in how she’d chosen to speak to Cao Jaan just then. She thought she had spoken so quietly that no one could hear her, and normally, she’d be right. She had not, however, reckoned with ETG’s enhanced hearing, and he heard every word she said. Sometimes selling your soul had its upside after all.

Luckily for her, the only thing ETG got from the discussion was that there was at least one more potential target in the warehouse he hadn’t spotted yet.
Slipshade
00:29:32 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

Max simply nodded to Mr. Coa when he spoke. He didn't needed to be reminded of his mistake, but it was his and he would bare the guilt of it in silence. He simply waited now to see who these others were and why there were here. Max doubted it was coincidence, nothing he had encountered so far was.
bclements
00:29:32 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

Cao gave a slight nod assent at Lady Dove's suggestion about telling Mr. Steiner and his companion about the girl and her manner of arrival. Despite his rashness, neither of them seemed a real threat. Either he was telling the truth (which Cao thought was the most likely option) or they were both very good at hiding their emotions and were exceptionally knowledgeable. If the former, then together they could help find out what happened to Keira. If the latter...well, he had ways of dealing with that, too.

"That one in the red says he is your cousin, sent by your mother to protect you," Cao said, just as gently as her whisper. "Do you know him?" he asked. He felt some regret at this, as it might part them. However, he knew that the right thing to do was to reunite one with their family, if at all possible.
WinterRat1
00:29:51Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

Lady Dove glanced over at Blaze and her brow furrowed slightly. It was obvious she was thinking hard. Whispering back, she said, "I've never seen him before." Pausing, she says quietly, "My cousins died along with my uncle and aunt when I was very young. But lately my mom was sure she had found evidence that one or both of my cousins was still alive. I don't know if she ever found them or not, I...left before she told me anything. But that doesn't mean he can't be telling the truth. It's unusual, claiming to know my mother. Why would someone say that if they didn't really know her?"
Tiredronin
00:29:59 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

She doesn't seem to know Blaze. Hmm. What if she doesn't cooperate with us.

Ah... So this is a situation gel rounds would be useful for.

ETG makes a mental note to get some gel rounds for... one of his guns.
bclements
00:30:00 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

Cao whispered into her ear, careful not to make any affermetive or negative judgement movements with his head. "There are people that would do such a thing," he says.

Turning back to the man in red, he asks "Have you a token? Or something that says you are who you say you are?" He tenesed and relaxed at this moment, not knowing how the answer would come.
Mister Juan
00:29:30 Wednesday, 10 January 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

When Lady Dove’s soft voice finally reached Knight’s pointed ears, he felt a wave of relief flood over him. Moving his right foot back forward, straightening up from his light crouched stance, his long fingers glided up the handle of his sword. Balling his fingers into a fist, he gave a sharp downward tap on the blade, making the hilt connect with its scabbard with an audible click. He then proceeded to carefully and gently smooth the flap of his richly decorated longcoat, covering back the handle of his blade.

A discreet and polite smile came to his face, as he lightly bowed his head towards the four men standing before him. Crossing both hands in front of him, the elf stepped slightly aside so that Lady Dove could see Blaze.
banditf50
00:30:11 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

It must be her! Blaze had little doubt that he was not looking right at the woment who was his cousin from the moment he walked through the doors of this warehouse, now with Cao's request for proof, he was sure that this was Melissa. If not, why bother. . . they'd be more worried about how to get me and my 'companion' outta here.

"I have several photos with me Melissa. They show me and my parents and I, and my parents with your parents. Aunt Margaret also gave me a picture of you with her and your uncle."

Holding both his hands out in front off him, palms facing outward, Blaze continued along very calm, as much to keep his backup steady as anyone else in the room. "They are in the inside-breast pocket of my coat. I will remove them very slowly and hand them to your man, nodding towards Knight, who can bring them over to you."

Slowly Blaze moved his right hand to the lapel of his long coat and, with his left hand still in front of him, inched the right side of his jacket open. Being right-handed, his Ares Preadator was holdstered on the left side of his coat, so Blaze was glad that he would not have to risk exposing a weapon to the tense onlookers.

Pausing with his coat open he allowed Knight to take a good look inside and confirm that he was not making a move for any weapons. Moving his left hand towards his pocket, right hand still holding the lapel, Blaze inched the creased photos out of their resting place. Holding them out towards Knight with his left hand, Blaze breathed a sigh of relief . . .I have her Margaret . . .I have her.

"I'll need these back when your done chummer, they are my only copies."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012