Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
grendel
00:00:46 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

"Actually, it's not that hard."

Reign lifts her hair away from her neck, revealing a neatly knotted bow just at the nape.

"All you have to do is untie me."

She lets her hair down again, favoring Tony with a playful wink.
bclements
00:00:58 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

I must be dreaming Tony thought to himself quickly as Reign let her hair down. Whatever warning bells still sounding in his head were being rapidly drowned out by her voice, and he almost reached out to change the autonav's course to his apartment. However, a small peal did make it through Reign's honey tinged voice.

"Patience, my dear. We'll have plenty of time for tieing and untieing tonight," Tony said as much to himself as to Reign. "Unless, of course, you have somewhere to be in the morning?" he continued, with a wink and a smile of his own.
grendel
00:01:14 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

Reign shrugs lightly, the panels of her dress sliding across her skin. She smiles at Tony, an expression of unsettling lust and temptation.

"Nowhere in particular."
bclements
00:01:34 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

"Well, that makes two of us then," Tony said, barely managing to keep his eyes and tone just-this-side of lecherous themselves. Well, if I'm dreaming, I don't wanna wake up he thought to himself as he looked out of the window at the almost non-existant late night traffic as they came into Seattle proper, checking on the dog brain that was probably a better driver than himself.

"One of the wonders of self-employment in this age; not really have much to do in the morning. I wonder how the 'herd' manages it," he says, shaking his head and shifting the conversation away from something that probably shouldn't happen in a car on the road. "...and no sculpture to get ready for a show either?" he finishes, moving the conversation back to Reign, hand reaching down to lightly strum the back of hers on the console.

Sedna
15:10:11 Monday, 08 January, 2063 - behind and below the Last Drop

There's pulleys and dumbwaiters and electronic cables running top and bottom, but the narrow staircase is the true thread of connection between the upper world and the lower. Steep enough that Anne can swing out a little, let herself slide down along the bannisters on her gloved palms -- and then pull herself in sharply before the long, hard sliver of whatever-it-was that had run itself into her skin can fully draw blood. Pulling off the glove, she picks at it with her teeth until it's out. She sucks at it briefly until blood is fully drawn, then runs a piece of loose fabric around it tightly, more by way of stopping any further flow than anything else.

"There's splinters," helpfully offers Mouse.

The two of them emerge into a dimness not all that much brighter than the staircase. For all Hobbes' touch is distinct in this place, long narrow bar and stools and sprinkling of tables just being set up -- for the Underground, here, runs to a different clock than the sun's -- substance and tone and even feel is very different. Among other things, the light background tinge of potential violence is much less potential, here.

She and Mouse are the only non-orks here. For a brief moment, she finds herself fighting a deep and terrifying urge to try to blend in.

It doesn't seem to bother him. He waves with casual familiarity to one and maybe more than one of those setting up; and a couple of them wave back like they're used to him and one of them asks her, "You Anne?" and a half second later, before she can really start wondering what he'd meant by that, adds "You workin' down here t'night?"

She shakes her head dumbly and Mouse adds, "Meetchin' her widda Grifter." Brief hand-signed exchange of some kind, she can feel the resonance of it but the forms escape her. Everyone here knows what they're talking about but her. Overlays of the familiar -- but "down here" means standing out in full spotlighted view when she's seeking no such thing. Even the familiar smells are strange.

Yet if she's going to learn the city, down here is also a part of it.

But it's a lot, all at once. It's been a lot over the whole week, weeks, month. It would be the human thing to do, to just close her eyes, shut away some of the sensory overload, let Mouse lead her wherever. It's not in her to do. A part of her has been tracking lefts and rights even as he leads her out the door of the Last Drop and into the depths of the Underground.
grendel
00:01:51 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

Reign's smile fades for a moment, her eyes darkening.

"No, I don't have anything remotely close to ready for exhibition yet. No, I don't have anything that can't wait until later."

She watches Tony's hand brush across her skin, turning her palm up after a moment to let his fingertips trail along the inside of her wrist.
bclements
00:01:51 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

Hmm, we know where not to take the conversation Tony thinks to himself, continuing to lightly play his rough fingertips along the inside of Reign's palm and wrist, while thoughts of don't frag this up ran through his head.

Still shifted in his seat to her, he continues "Sorry about that. An artist is so far afield from what I normally encounter that I can't help but ask about what they do. And I wouldn't worry about being the most beautiful woman in the place, where we are going, even with a few ex's in there. Are you from here in Seattle?" he continues, but with a slightly more dangerous smile, fingertips still tracing random patterns on Reign's palms.
grendel
00:02:28 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

"Back east originally, I've only been in Seattle for about a year now."

She leans back in her seat, eyes closed, perfectly relaxed. After a moment, her lips dance with a playful smile.

"So what makes you think I'm going to be the most beautiful woman in this place?"
bclements
00:02:58 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

"Oh, trust me, I know this place," Tony said, fingertips still continuing to dance a tune on her palm and lower arm. "Fun joint, maybe a bit hazardous tonight with a band, but overall somewhere... different than Bluefish," he said, smiling and laughing a bit to himself at some of the times he'd had there.

"Like I said, it's more intimate and a bit seeder than the place we just left. I've gotta let you know, though, it does have a bit of an Awakened crowd," he said testing those particular waters. Please don't be a mageaphobe he thinks to himself.
grendel
00:03:17 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

Reign smiles.

"Sounds like just my kind of place."

Nothing in her posture or expression indicates that she is uneasy with Tony's statement about the clientele of the Unbottled Spirit.
Scrapheap
13:10:03 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - SRS Medical Systems, Redmond

John watched the bodyguards channel-surf for a few seconds before it dawned on him that he was standing, holding a blood-soaked rag, and his own hands were covered with Cheryl's blood. He walked back towards the treatment area until he found a biohazard wastebin next to a sink. He deposited the rag and washed his hands, looking towards the area where the nurses had taken the fixer. He wasn't sure, but he thought that he could hear Doc Carson's voice.

Drying his hands on disposable towels, he decided against checking the treatment area and went back to the waiting room. Fragger #2 looked up as he walked in, but said nothing. He didn't seem to mind that his partner had control of the remote, leading John to decide that #1 was in charge. He stood there for a few more seconds before addressing them both. "I'm gonna go have a smoke. If the doc comes out come get me. Otherwise, just let me back in when I knock."

Fishing a cigarette from his crumpled pack as he dodged workers and loaders, John quickly made his way across the busy docks. After propping the back door open with a plastic crate he sat on the cold steps, lit his smoke, and took a deep drag. After a couple of seconds, he pulled out his cell and dialed Rosa's private number. Getting her voicemail again, he left a quick message. "Rosie, it's me. Just checkin' in. Never heard back after my last message. Call me."

Disconnecting, he then dialed Max. After several rings, he was just about to end the call when a groggy voice answered. "Yes?"

"Hoi, chummer. It's John. Listen, my meet ended up fragged. I'm not sure yet if they was after me or my contact, but I'll find out shortly. If it was me they was gunnin' for, ya gotta think Clinic, right? Anyways, just stay sharp."

He took a drag, then added, "Any news?"
bclements
00:03:44 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

"Good, I thought that you'd like the place," Tony says, internally releaved but externally unchanged and still lightly stroking Reign's arm.

"I may have to take my eyes off of you for a moment in there, if something breaks out. I do promise to return them to you when I'm done," he finishes, with a wink and slightly predatory smile of his own.
grendel
00:03:57 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

"Promises, promises. I suppose it is only fair to warn you that I do demand constant attention."

Reign flipped down the visor, using the mirror to check her hair and makeup.
bclements
00:03:40 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

"Thanks for the warning. I was planning on leaving you there, but I guess I'll just have to take you home afterwards. To make sure that you have constant attention, that is," Tony finished, in a mock-resignment tone that didn't hide his anticipation of the evening as he watched Reign check herself in the mirror.
Slipshade
13:10:03 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Max's Penthouse

Max's phone startled him awake. He hadn't even realized that he had fallen asleep on the couch waiting for the phone to ring.

'About time.' He thought sleepily as he reached for the cell that was laying on his mahogany coffee table.

"Yes." He said as a way of greeting.

It was John, he was having some trouble with his meet..

'Damn, I was hoping for Marcus or Thomas with some news.'

But what John was telling him was concerning. What if the hit wasn't on his fixer? He would really need to watch himself.

In response to John's question about his contacts he replied.

"Nothing yet, unfortunately, but it has only been a couple of hours. Hopefully they will get back to me sooner than later. Give me a call when you finish up at the clinic and let me know where you want to meet."
Scrapheap
13:13:55 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - SRS Medical Systems, Redmond

"Frag. I'd hoped that the Wongs would've called by now. Listen, I'll let ya know if I find out anything about the way the meet went down. If I don't call, just figure that everything's good. And lemme know if ya hear somethin' first."

Disconnecting that call, John crushed out his smoke and lit another. He then dialed the number for Finn's secure line. While listening to the series of clicks, beeps, and tones as his call was bounced around, he stood and paced back and forth on the steps. Just a quick call ta see if he an' Iris have found out anything new, then I'll check inside. Better warn them too, while I'm at it.

He walked down the steps and glanced around SRS's lot while he waited for the call to connect, even squatting down to make sure that the blue AmeriCar was still where they'd parked it.
grendel
00:04:13 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

"My, my, suddenly very sure of ourselves, aren't we?" Reign closed the visor with a snap, satisfied with her appearance, and favored Tony with an arched eyebrow. She didn't disguise the smile that played at the corner of her lips, though.
bclements
00:04:42 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

Not really; strong drink do giveth the desire, though. I am glad I put that bag in the closet Tony thought, while the car passed the Boeing complex off to the left. While he was better built that most of the 'management consultants' he'd ran into, actually letting anyone know what he did seemed like a bad idea. As they passed the complex, floodlights gleamed off the snow on the grounds that hadn't been cleared off yet, filling the car with reflected light

As he gestured with an open palm toward Reign, he drawled "It was you that wanted someplace more intimate. Or are you just going to be looking for a better looking beau? I may have to kick his hoop as well," adding a slight smile to the gleam of his eyes
grendel
00:04:55 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

"Oh? Are you going to fight over me? Challenge some suitor to a duel? Pistols at dawn? How romantic."

Reign covered her heart with her left hand, fanning herself with her right in an imitation of a swoon.
bclements
00:05:14 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

Tony laughed out loud at the outburst from Reign. "Actually, swords, if you want to be romantic about it. And to give at least a sporting chance. The question is, who would you second for?" he continued, still smiling and shaking his head from her response.

"Really though, there are worse things to fight for," he finished more quietly after a moment, smile changing from predatory to more sad, while memories of actions taken and not suddenly flashed unbidden in his eyes.
grendel
00:05:26 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

Reign watched the emotions shift in Tony's eyes, wondering about the depth of feeling for this other woman, a bond strong enough to draw attention away from her at a time like this. She fluttered her hand to banish his statement, though.

"Please, I don't second. Dueling is man's work. I'm the prize, remember? The Face that Launched a Thousand Ships didn't strike a single blow in that war."

She smiled, lightly, trying to draw him back to her.
bclements
00:05:53 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

Roused from his memories by Reign's voice, he laughs again. "Touche, though I'm not quite sure that Paris is someone that I want to be compared to. I would have thought that we were in a more equal society, sex-wise: Why shouldn't you be dueling over me? After all, even the goddesses had their spat with him," Tony said, smiling again at the vision and deciding that a choice between going down an unpleasent version of Memory Lane and spending an evening with Reign really wasn't a choice at all.
grendel
00:06:07 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

Reign laughed.

"Well, find me another goddess and we'll have a good ol' knockdown, drag out, hair pullin' catfight."

bclements
00:06:28 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

"Oh, so you're a goddess now? Not that you're going to get an argument from me on that part. I just don't think I could sell enought tickets to that fight." Tony said almost deadpan, getting the last part out before a laugh escaped him.

"Sorry about that a second ago. Just brought back a memory that I don't want to think about." he continued, almost as an afterthought, with a bright gleam returning to his eyes.

Reaching over, he lighly began to play his fingers over Reign's smooth arm. "I'm quite sure that you're the only goddess I can handle," he drawled, turning the smile into an anticipatory one.
grendel
00:06:35 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

Reign laughs with Tony, her eyes afire and her smile predatory.

"Night's still young, let's not jump to conclusions just yet."
bclements
00:07:08 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

"Old and young at the same time, depending on where you're looking from. Remember, not everyone's a nighthawk like you; good little wageslaves are already happily dreaming of their weekend in the office," Tony said, still smiling and chuckling, remembering that he'd had a busy day even with the long nap earlier that had thrown off his normal sleep patterns.

Remembering the second part of the quote he'd thought of earlier, he reminded himself not to imbibe too much at the Spirit. Just one drink, then we'll see where this leads.

"And were you meaning the suitor or goddess part of not getting ahead of ourselves? I may have to primp as well," Tony finishes, making a show of pulling down his visor.

Bastard
21:18.26 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Fall Inn, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

There is plenty of parking left when Marquis arrives at the tavern. The parking lot is large enough to let him be picky with the parking. It is definitely one of his reasons for liking the place. The Cadillac chirps and the lights flash twice as a Marquis walks away. Alone it sits, not too far away, but far enough, no one else will park next to it. He can be somewhat anal about his car, but he did put a lot of time and work into.

From the outside, the Fall Inn looks simply like a small tavern or diner, standing alone and out of place in Seattle, especially Downtown. However, stepping in reveals a much different perspective. Upon entering, you find yourself on a balcony overlooking the 'basement' dining area. Its dimly lit, the way any watering hole is, but you can make out people below, sitting at tables that surround the rarely used dance floor. Across the open floor is a large bar that is well lit, and not too occupied. A lobby with a few couches, coffee tables, and small dining tables, sits in front of the bar, along with some almost real looking plants.

Following the outside of the room, the balcony continues and turns with the wall, taking you to the other side, around the open space. Crossing the off-white (and the only reason Marq knows its off-white and not white, is that many of women have pointed out, that there is a difference) tiles, Marquis finds a seat near the middle of the bar, and awaits the bartenders service.
grendel
21:28:04 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Fall Inn, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Marquis is nursing his second drink of the night when the subtle hint of vanilla and cordite reach him through the haze of smoke. He smiled.

"Hi, Karma."

"Marquis." The woman sitting next to him is of average height and weight, but the muscles beneath her tailored kevlar seem denser than normal, and she moves with a speed that's unnaturally smooth and quick. Her eyes travel the length of the bar, then the perimeter of the room, before fixing the bartender with a blank, uninterested stare. She waits until her own drink has been delivered before continuing.

"So, what's on your mind?"
Bastard
21:29:55 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Fall Inn, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"Well...actually, do you want to get a table downstairs first." Its more of a statement than a question, indicated not only by pitch and tone, but Marquis is already vacating his seat.
Scrapheap
13:16:05 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - SRS Medical Systems, Redmond

The parking lot looked clear and the AmeriCar was right where they had left it earlier. John continued to wait for Finn to answer as he walked back over to the stairs and sat down. Finally a tired and muffled voice answered. "John? You there?"

"What the frag, Finn? It's fraggin' after noon, chummer. Late night?"

"Yeah, uh, it was. I..."

There was some rustling in the background, followed by another sleepy, but decidedly female, voice. "Mmmm. Who is it, Marty?"

More rustling followed, Finn obviously covering the mic of his comm. John could hear voices, but not what was said. Finally, he heard his friend say, "John? I'm gonna put you on mute a sec. Hold on."

What the frag...was that Iris? I guess Finn's really takin this mentorin' thing seriously! I wonder what...

His thought remained unfinished as Finn returned to the line with a click. From the background noise John could tell he had moved to his office. "Sorry 'bout that, chummer. What do you need?"

John couldn't keep a grin from his face. "Uh, yeah. Nul persp. I didn't know ya had, uh... company. Need me ta call back?"

"Frag yourself, rustbucket. Did you call to harass me, or was there an actual reason?"

"A'ight! No need ta get upset. Listen, I had a meet earlier with our mutual friend. It didn't go so good. I had ta take her to SRS. Still there. I'm not sure if she was the target, or if I was. If it was me, then watch yerselves. Might be the Clinic and it might be that they'd come lookin' for anyone involved. I'll know more a little later, so I'll let you know."

"Understood. You OK, John?"

"Fraggin' great, chummer." He took a drag off of his cigarette and continued. "So, I had one of them kids drop Iris off at your place this morning. She said she need to talk to you about that system. You guys figure anything out? Oh, and you think you got time ta do a more in-depth search on some people? Iris should have the details. It's the only data she got off the system."
grendel
00:07:14 Friday 12 January, 2063 - I-5N, to Downtown, Seattle, UCAS

"I guess you'll just have to wait and find out." Reign turned back to the scene slipping by outside the vehicle, her profile illuminated by the multicolored neon advertisements of Downtown Seattle.
grendel
21:33:11 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Fall Inn, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Karma follows as Marquis makes his way down from the bar to the semi-circle of tables surrounding the nearly empty dance floor. Taking a seat opposite him, she downs half of her drink in one long swallow.

"Now what?"
bclements
00:20:18 Friday 12 January, 2063 - The Unbottled Spirit, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

As the car continued toward Capitol Hill, Reign and Tony’s banter continued, full of draws, feints, and entendre’s. Tony made no more mention of sculpture, and nothing Reign said evoked anything more than laughter and anticipatory glances at how her outfit actually went together and would come off. The autopilot driving apparently thought that Madison was the best route; exiting there and making its way up to Aloha where Tony took over and parked in a lot across the street. Taking Reign’s hand and giving her his coat, they walked across the street.

The Spirit was packed, enough so that a line formed at the main door and a couple of real chipheads were lined up at the computer shop. Apparently the Speed Coma cover band playing tonight was from the area, and a good crowd had paid ¥5 apiece to show up. Becca must be making a killing tonight Tony thought as he caught Raz’s attention. The ork, after noticing Tony, or maybe his date, let them in without the cover.

“Want anything?” Tony asked as they got in the door over at least one “Who the frag are they?!?” from the still-waiting-in-line clubbers.

“I got it, chummer. Just give me a hand if things get out of hand, kay? Sam had to help me earlier with a couple of fraggers that got too sauced up. Old man can still move,” Raz finished, then turned around to make amends with some of the more shapely line-waiters.

Leading Reign through the bar toward one of the few empty booths left in the place, he notices a few drunks/projecting mages, and a few guys pounding shots and looking at every one of the many girls in the place. Reign got more than her share of looks, but Tony made it back to the booth without any trouble. Seating her at the booth, he goes to the bar to get some drinks.

“Who’s the date?” Sam said, somewhat loudly over the band, as the bartender handed over the drinks. Even shielded from the stage by a wall, it got loud when the guitar cranked up.

“Just someone I picked up somewhere else,” Tony said, collecting the drinks and motioning to open a tab. “, and yes, I do have a home. I just had some business earlier this evening. She happened to be there.”

“With a date like that you should. Drek, I should be spending more time at your home. How much is she?” Sam said, leaning forward to make himself heard.

What!?Tony blurted out, surprised. “Really, how much? You can tell me, kid. No shame in it,” Sam replied with a knowing smile on his face.

“She’s not a joygirl,” Tony said, jaw clenching a bit and voice trying to stay calm.

“Has she bought a drink tonight? Did she ride over here with you? Have you looked at her clothes? That last part has got to be a ‘yes’,” Sam said, leaning forward and ticking thick fingers off, still with a drek-eating grin on his face.

“She’s not a joygirl,” Tony said, grinding his teeth in order not to shout.

“Whatever you say. Just keep your cred hidden,” Sam finished, laughing to himself, as he sat back down at the barstool.

She’s not a joygirl, is she? I don’t have SUCKER written on my forehead, do I? And how the frag do I even bring this up? Tony asked himself on the walk back to the booth. Deciding for the moment to let things develop, he slid into the booth opposite from Reign.

“So, what do you think?” Tony said, setting the drink before her and taking a small sip of his own.
grendel
00:21:37 Friday 12 January, 2063 - The Unbottled Spirit, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Reign pauses to sip from her drink, glancing around the bar. She smiles.

"Nice, I like it."

A playful smile dances across her lips, though, as she encompasses the crowd around the band with a gesture of her hand.

"I thought you said it was intimate, though."
bclements
00:21:58 Friday 12 January, 2063 - The Unbottled Spirit, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

"Most of this crowd will clear out in a bit. The band's supposed to finish up soon. It'll get more intimate, trust me," Tony said, glancing around the bar to make sure that nothing untoward was going on. Reign seemed to be attracting some attention; some guys were staring over in this direction, and a group of women were looking conspiratorially over to the booth while the band played on. Sam caught his eye, laughing with the barmaid. Tony looked down and shook his head.

"That ork at the bar thinks you're a joygirl, by the way." Tony finished, mirroring Reign's playful smile and nodding over in Sam's direction.
grendel
00:22:29 Friday 12 January, 2063 - The Unbottled Spirit, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

"Oh he does, does he?" Reign glanced over at the bar long enough to make eye contact with Sam, who shook his head in response as if to say he's lying. She smiled, brushing her hair back off her shoulder with a practiced gesture. Sliding around the booth, she insinuates herself into Tony's arms and kisses him with the hungry intensity of lioness. Several minutes pass before she breaks off the embrace, still entwined in his arms. With a pointed look back at the bar, she gives Sam the finger. A glance across the bar, and she favors the group of women with an equally hungry gaze.
bclements
00:23:30 Friday 12 January, 2063 - The Unbottled Spirit, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Definatly not a joygirl Tony thought, still reeling a bit from the kiss that had taken him a bit off guard at first, but then returned with the same vigor as Reign. She is definatly going to be a handful was the second thought that he had, looking out from behind her and seeing the gesture toward Sam, who gave them a tusk-filled smile and tip his drink toward Reign and him before turning back to watching the crowd. Tony followed her gaze to the group of females as Reign lounged against him with Tony's arms around her, the scent of her hair strong this close to her.

Recovering a bit and leaning forward to whisper in her ear, Tony said softly "Told you it would get more intimate. And don't worry about Sam; he's just a drek-stirrer. What do you see out there?" he finished gently.
WinterRat1
13:23:05 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - SRS Medical Systems, Redmond

Finn clears his throat. "Without actually going in the system, I can't give you any firm answers," he stresses, "but if I had to guess, I'd say it's something along the lines of a user-prompted security system."

"User prompted...Finn, what the frag is that? Speak English please."

The decker grins at him. "That was English, omae. Anyway, it's like this. You log in, and the system doesn't prompt you for ID or a password. The idea is that if you're there, you should already know you need to enter the ID and/or the password, and if you don't, you don't belong there. It's not hard to beat, a standard sleaze or deception program would've handled it, but if you don't know it's there or think to look for it, it can catch you napping."

He pauses. "Like I said, without being there I can't say for sure, but call it my best educated guess, given what Iris described to me. As for this information search, how heavy are we talking here?"
WinterRat1
13:20:09 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Max's Penthouse

*BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP*

Getting off the phone with John, Max turned to discover that he'd apparently slept right through several phone calls, and now had several messages on his voice mail. Damn it, I must be more tired than I thought. This shadowrunning business is tiring stuff. He yawned, and grinned ruefully. Of course, I doubt most serious runners would consider what I've been up to so far to be shadowrunning, but we all start somewhere, right?

Shuffling over to grab himself a cup of real coffee, one of the perks of living the good life, Max played back his messages.

*BEEP* "Mr. Steiner, this is Thomas Greybow's office, returning your call from earlier. Mr. Greybow checked in earlier today, and asked me to pass you the message that he regrets to inform you that he is out of town now on a dig and is unable to render direct assistance with your project. He did however, mention that if you cannot find anyone else, he may be able to ask around and find someone who can help you. He left a number for you to contact him at if necessary."

The secretary rattles off the number, which Max hastily jots down.

*BEEP* "Maximillian, this is Libby. My preliminary findings indicate that the center you asked me to investigate, while small, has a good reputation and is clean of scandals or any hints of impropriety. They run a tight ship to protect client and participant confidentiality, but no one I talked to has ever had reason to question them before. Is there something I should know about them or look deeper into?"

*BEEP* "Yo Max! Maverick here. I managed to get together a respectable enough story to submit to my boss, and the story will air at 15:00:00 today. Check it out, let me know if that's what you were hoping for. Hey, and if it looks like there's some more juice to the story, you know who to call first, right?"

*BEEP* "Mr. Steiner, this is Robert Wong. My wife and I have discussed the matter you presented us with this morning and are willing to discuss it further with you and your associate in person over coffee at the SSBC (SoyStarbucks Coffee) in the Renraku Arcology, on the second floor. We will be there at 16:00:00. If this is not acceptable to you, please call me back before 14:00:00, otherwise we will be waiting for you there. Have a good day."

Whew, I slept through all those calls? Yeesh, I better get cracking. No rest for the weary it seems...
Scrapheap
13:25:39 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - SRS Medical Systems, Redmond

Frag! Is he sayin' that if Iris knew what she was doin' the system wouldn't have crashed? Ah, well. Nothing that can be done about that now. I guess ya get what ya pay for.

"Not too heavy. Just what you can dig up in a couple hours. Mainly background and anything that could connect 'em to the Clinic."
grendel
00:23:43 Friday 12 January, 2063 - The Unbottled Spirit, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Reign brushed her cheek against Tony's, winding her arms around him and whispering in his ear. Her voice is honey-sweet and seductive, but charged with an undercurrent that Tony can't quite place.

"The girls just want to have fun. They want to play, especially the blonde in the middle. She thinks she's the queen. Maybe next time I'll ask them to join us. But not tonight. Tonight I want you all to myself."

bclements
00:23:55 Friday 12 January, 2063 - The Unbottled Spirit, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Oh yeah, this is a dream; I'll throw my trideo off the top floor of the fragging Arcology if it wakes me up now Tony thought to himself as he moved to be able to lean his head down onto Reign's sholder, with one arm still wrapped around her.

However, one half-sober alarm bell perked up among other non-alarming thoughts in his mind. "So, what made me the lucky guy?" Tony said in a whisper, some suduction in his voice.
grendel
00:24:18 Friday 12 January, 2063 - The Unbottled Spirit, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Reign laughs softly, her body warm in Tony's arms. She teases the back of his neck with her fingernails.

"You ask too many questions. Just enjoy the night."
bclements
00:24:57 Friday 12 January, 2063 - The Unbottled Spirit, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Laughing lightly, and deciding to silence the lone alarm bell going off, Tony decided to take the advice. Almost purring with Reign gently, to him, tickling the back of his neck, he took her advice and kissed her again, fiercely as she had before. Keeping his eyes open while locked in the embrace, he noticed the group of ladies still lingering at them, the blonde in the group holding eyes longest, and at one group of men staring intently and gesturing to each other. Sam had noticed it as well, and was looking over in that direction.

Breaking the kiss, he whispered in her ear, “Only one more question ‘till the morning from me, love. Although you are attracting some different attention…” Tony finished, taking a sip from his drink.
grendel
00:25:11 Friday 12 January, 2063 - The Unbottled Spirit, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

"And here I thought you wanted to fight for my honor."

Reign touched her upper lip with the tip of her tongue, favoring the group of women with one last look before turning to meet Tony's gaze. She dismissed the men with a gesture of utter contempt and disdain, favoring him with a hungry smile.

"Yes."
bclements
00:25:30 Friday 12 January, 2063 - The Unbottled Spirit, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

"I'd fight, if you'd call it that against those guys. Honor's a bit more important than you might think to me," Tony whispered to her, smile beaming from ear to ear while taking in the answer to his second question. I was looking for a more numeratic answer, but I can get to that in the morning he thought, sipping his drink a bit more, not bothering to hide his anticipation.

"If you want to leave, all you have to do is say so..."
Sedna
15:19:50 Monday, 08 January, 2063 - into the depths of the Ork Underground

Twists and turns and a kaleidoscope of sound scent sensation noise spin Anne through the maze market of a living Underground; while a sudden awareness of shifting walls brings her to the stabbing enlightenment that to count lefts and rights in a place such as this is pointless. Maybe she'd still get out again, if Mouse were to abandon her here ... and for a frozen instant she's lost him in the vague general hostility at her kind (now there's a laugh!) and the ragtag flutter of tented goods bought and sold and Alleycat prepares to surface --

"Found him," says Mouse almost at her shoulder, and she has to fight down the reflex to react -- in what manner she cannot say, not now that she is once again clearly Anne. "Tight 'n' messed hereways," he says briefly to her before he plunges back in, but slowly enough, this time, that she can follow through the narrow passages without losing him again -- though it's a near thing at times, and the walls here are solid. No way could an ork fit through here, she thinks as she oversteps the unconscious body at her feet, having no other way to get around, it's barely a fit for him and me.

It's completely without warning that the space opens up into a small dome-like "room" lined with what sounds like old steam pipes. "She the one, chavo?" says a voice out of the dimness, neither clearly male nor clearly female and still disembodied from its owner.

"Ka," says Mouse to the speaker, and then to Anne, in words obviously heard and learned directly: "Cross his palm wi' silver an' Grifter'll ken ya, an' larn ya mebbe."

"Silver opens the path," says the voice out of dimness. "Ye'll still be needing to convince me yer no muladi, chai."

"Might be easier," retorts Anne, the coin making creases in her glove, "if'n I knows what's a muladi."

Comes a creaking laugh that seems to surround her. "Why, chavi, jest show me that you're alive."

"There's things eats people down here," murmurs Mouse into her ear; while she thinks frantically what to say. She feels a slight pressure on her palm, recognises only slowly through the chill adrenaline flooding through her that it's only Mouse, seeking out her other hand for reassurance or maybe to reassure her.

"Got a name," she says at last, bluntly. "Got a heartbeat. Got air in m' lungs. What else y' want?"

"Ye stink of death," says the voice out of the dimness; and to that she has nothing to say. Mouse is staring at her wide-eyed; yet he doesn't let go of her hand.

"I'll dance another turn wid' ye, méripen," says the voice at last with a certain finality. "I'll gamble on yer soul. Everyone's turn comes sooner or later, arvalie?" And with that he steps forward, out of the shadows, an ageless human who could have been young or old, with hair the colour of bone plaited down past his waist, and blank eyes --

"You're blind!" she blurts out before she can stop herself; and he says quietly, tying a light thread of a string around her wrist as he relieves her of the coin, "Eyes can deceive ye. Ye wants t' ken the ways o' the city, ye've got t' ken them here," touching her breast, "and here," touching her brow, "not wid' yer eyes. Hold still, chavi," and he removes her eyeglasses and hands them to her, her own eyes tightly shut in sheer reflex even before she feels the blindfold slipped on and tied fast -- abandoning her in utter darkness, even as his voice, coming from all around her, says, "Find yer way back, chavi. Don' snap the thread."
grendel
00:25:44 Friday 12 January, 2063 - The Unbottled Spirit, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Reign smiles, drinking from Tony's drink.

"So."
WinterRat1
13:26:14 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - SRS Medical Systems, Redmond

Finn sighs. "I guess I can work it in for you. Listen John, Iris told me what she got on them already for you, and I'd say that probably sums up what a casual search would find."

He pauses. "I know it seems like she hosed up and I can't say she didn't, but don't be too hard on her, ok? I've been caught by it once or twice myself, it's the only reason I could guess what the problem was. If you want me to dig deeper I can, but if this place is that shady, are you sure you want to find what they've got going on underneath the facade? Remember what happened last time we did that?"
bclements
00:26:18 Friday 12 January, 2063 - The Unbottled Spirit, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

"Smartass," Tony smiled out to Reign as he watched her finish his drink. "If your ready to leave, lead the way my dear. I don't live too far away," he finished, gesturing toward the door with his open palm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012