Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
bclements
18:57:30 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

The (barely) muted thumping of bass and club electronica increased in volume and crescendo as Vedic stepped through the entrance to the club itself. Cabin fever had set in among many residents of the Sprawl apparently, and added to that the non-gliteratti that weren’t able to stand in line last week, Paradigm Shift was enjoying a large early evening crowd. The hardcore in skintight leather and dark makeup rubbed shoulders and hips with college kids sporting expensive ID’s (and the willingness to burn them) out for the start of the night and wageslaves glammed up for a taste of slumming with a safety net. Catering to this last group, ork and troll bouncers were obvious, stationed at several evenly spaced areas around the dance floor, professional semi-detatchment giving way occasionally to the less clothed of the early evening partiers, reflective vests catching and reflecting the lightshow that accompanied the DJ’s beat.

He was early, but he immediately looked toward the bar area, separated from the main floor by a set of occupied tables and an ork bouncer. Less packed than the dance floor, the only room to sit was at the bar. Not seeing a hat at all, much less a red one, Vedic choose a spot at the opposite side from the door, ordered a water from the bartender and waited, watching the bar area and the door.

Silhouetted by the door as she walked into the club, Vedic didn’t pick out her features until she’d sat at the right center part of the bar. A bright red stocking cap hid short blonde hair that escaped at the neck. She looked around for a moment, not seeing someone she was looking for, and began fidgeting with a commlink she produced from a synthwool coat pocket.
grendel
13:15:49 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

Reign accepted the phone from Trance, turning her head to the side as her bodyguard went to work on the muscles at the small of her back.

"Well hello, cowboy."
grendel
19:04:27 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

She was punctual. Vedic liked that in a woman. Being on time meant she respected him. He watched her as she waited at the bar, watched the people around her, who arrived after, the few who'd come before. None of them gave any indications that they were with her: no lingering glances, no studied indifference, no casual gestures. Vedic slung the rest of his drink, water, to the floor before making his way through the crowd to the bar. Sliding into place next to her, he motioned with the empty glass to the bartender before glancing around. His eyes found hers.

"Nice hat."
Scrapheap
23:05:00 Saturday January 13, 2063; The Fun House, Downtown

If Ludmilla thought her offer outrageous, she was mildly disappointed by the gangers' reaction. Scratch's grin disappeared, though he nodded. He then turned as Byte tugged on his coat sleeve and the two put their heads together and spoke quietly.

Though Ludi quickly adjusted her ears hoping to pick up something useful, she immediately realized she would just have to wait. The two seemed to be speaking the same frustrating gutter-speak, and she could only pick out every third or fourth word. Even though she spoke with a thick accent, her English was actually quite good, which made this even more frustrating.

After a couple of seconds, the two also began to rummage through their pockets, removing several small items and depositing them on the desk. Though Byte glanced over his shoulder and moved closer to his friend to block her view of what they were doing, the actions never seemed threatening, so the slim woman was content to wait for an answer to her demand.

Finally, Scratch turned to face her and crossed his arms. Byte still faced the desk and seemed to be busily sorting through whatever they had removed from their pockets. Grinning again, the young orc said, "We can go as high as nuyen.gif 1500, with 20% upfront."
Mister Juan
23:06:01 Saturday January 13, 2063; The Fun House, Downtown

Ludmilla shield the flame of her lighter with her left hand, covering her mouth at the same time. A discreet smile had crept on her lips, and showing it off would have been a bad move on her part. The woman had actually been ready to drop all the way down to 500 a head, for a one grand total. This little extra was very welcomed. Yet, bodyguarding deckers could very well be the last thing she ever did alive and kicking.

Taking a long drag on her cigarette, she pretended to think for a few seconds. Nothing better to put the two young men at ease. The only thing that slightly bothered her was that the down payment was pretty small. But none the less, if they stiffened her on the payment, she had many ways of getting it.

She nodded.

“Da. Ok. You have yourself a deal.”

She took a second drag, slightly relaxing.

“Now, I want all the details you have of the meet. Where, when, how many people, and so on.”

The lighter went back in her pocket.

“I can understand you want to keep the fine details to you, it is… normal. But the more I know, the better I can prepare myself. The better I am prepared, the more likely you are to live to see another day. Da?”
bclements
19:05:04 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

As Vedic sat down beside her, more of her features came into clear view from the blue lit rim of the bar. Amerind cheekbones on a pale face accented by the bar's lighting, sparse makeup and a coat draped to hide any other features. Vanessa looked over at the elf that sat down next to her. "Thanks, its..," she started in a happy tone, then stopped seemingly remembering why she was here as she looked at him, waiting on the bartender and then motioning Vedic over to an empty table away from the other patrons.

"It's a little to warm for it in here," she finished neutrally, removing the cap carefully to reveal slicked back, short blonde hair that flared out at the tips. A small, jewled datajack on her temple refracted the light from the dancefloor as it was unveiled. "I thought that you'd be bigger," she said, after sitting after sitting and studying Vedic for a moment.
grendel
19:05:36 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

Vedic wondered just who it was that she'd been expecting. He wasn't any great physical specimen, standing a mere 2.2 meters tall and tipping the scales at a thin ninety kilos, but a lifetime of training was evident in the dense musculature of his shoulders and legs.

Apparently the stereotypes are alive and well.

He dressed his face in something of a neutral look, letting the corners of his lips turn up slightly. While she didn't seem particularly nervous Vedic guessed that she would become a bit uncomfortable while discussing her problem with him. People not used to the shadows were naturally hesitant when it came to talking about quasi- or blatantly illegal acts.

"Appearances can be deceiving. It helps in my line of work if you don't look like what people expect. Now, why don't you tell me about your problem and what I can do to help?"
bclements
13:15:58 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Outside Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"You know, you've really got to teach me how to get out of someone's apartment without them hearing," Tony said while walking down the sidewalk toward his car and dodging a few windowshoppers.
bclements
19:06:08 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"It's just that..., nevermind," Vanessa said, blushing slightly in embarassment and rolling her shoulders in a displacement gesture. "It's a guy that I met a few months ago. Chatted with him a few times, seemed like a nice guy," she continued, getting more comfortable in the details. "Went out with him, didn't hit it off, but it wasn't bad. Yet. He walked me out to my car, and he, he tried to, to.." she said, getting more upset before calming herself and taking a deep breath.

"I fought him off; I had a taser on me just in case he turned out to be a psycho," she said after Vedic offered her a drink of water to help calm her. "I was lucky, some friends of mine were coming to the same place, and he ran off when he heard them call to me. He hasn't stopped though. I can't hardly go into the 'Trix without him getting to me. Saying what he's going to do to me. I've changed providers, changed icons, he still finds me. I think he's even broken into my apartment: I've found stuff moved from where I'd left it." she finished, taking another sip of the offered water.
grendel
19:06:35 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"Lone Star has a civil branch designed specifically to deal with this kind of problem. They have greater resources and more manpower than I do. So I have to ask, why come to me with this problem?"

Vedic kept his voice and face neutral, his tone casual. He did not want to alienate his employer but he needed more information than she was providing.
bclements
19:06:53 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"I can't," Vanessa said, shaking her head, deciding on how much to reveal. "I can't. I...I do some things at my job. Pass data on to Zedya and a few other's to fence. A junior admin doesn't make much," she said, looking down at her hands in either self disgust or hoping that they'd provide an explination. "Its what makes ends meet, pays the student loans off."

"If I go to the Star, I'm worried that they'll find out. I can't have that happen." she said, shaking her head.
grendel
19:07:18 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

Vedic nodded, accepting the explanation without passing judgment. Everyone has secrets to keep, he was no exception.

"Understandable. Before I can agree to take your case, though, I need you to tell me what, exactly, you would like me accomplish with this individual?"
Slipshade
22:51:37 Tuesday, 09 January, 2063 - One Lincoln Tower

The summoning took suprisingly little time and Max wasn't even tired. He was incredibly focused on the task ahead of him. He had just returned to the comfortable confines of his penthouse when his cell phone began to chime. Punching the send button he held it up to his ear.

"Max" he said in way of greating.
bclements
19:07:55 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"I just want him to stop," she said, opening her hands in a pleading gesture. "It's happing so often that I'm thinking its going to happen when I'm at work. I can't let that happen," she said, pulling a credstick from the inner pocket of her tan waistcoat.

"I've got nuyen.gif 2000. I don't want him killed. I just want him to stop bothering. Me." she said, laying her slim, long fingered hands on the table and removing them to show the credstick.
grendel
19:08:27 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

Vedic slid his sleeve back, exposing the Ikon's small keypad interface.

"Tell me everything about him. As many details as you can."
bclements
19:09:44 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"I can do better than that," Vanessa said, pulling out her commlink and keying some instructions into it. A moment later Vedic's Ikon indicated an incoming file.

"There's a picture of him; he updated his dating profile after, after what happned and that's the most recent I've got. His name is Norman Anderson, and I think he works in Bellvue. I remember that he wanted to go somewhere close to where he worked..." she said, trailing off before she begain to relive that date again.

"I've got a picture of his 'Trix Icon, but he's changed it so often that I don't think it's any good anymore. I'll send it over if you want, you can do whatever with it," she said.

"What else do you want to know?"
grendel
19:10:17 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"Tell me everything you know about him. Tell me enough so that if I were to pass him on the street, I could say 'that is Norman Anderson'."

Vedic opened the file Vanessa sent in a window overlaying the left third of his vision in a forty percent mask.
grendel
13:16:21 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

Reign's chuckle sounds softly over the line.

"Now why would you want to learn how to do that?
bclements
19:12:50 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"He's about a meter and a half tall, white human. Going a little bald on top," Vanessa started. "Not fat, but not thin either; he's big enough to throw me around but he didn't look like he worked out all the time. Small scar over his left eye, said it was from an accident at work. Dressed ok, not flashy but not in flats," she said, looking away for a moment as if to remember more information.

"Right up until..it happened, he seemed like a nice guy. Had a job working with a shipping company in Bellvue, he said. Just got out of a relationship he said. Chatting with him, seemed like a nice guy. When I met him in the flesh, he seemed...nervous," she said, remembering more. "I thought it was just a first date thing at the time, but he kept checking his watch and phone. Right before we left, he got a call, said it was a wrong number. Then, he just changed," she said, shaking her head.

bclements
13:16:47 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Outside Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Tony smiled as he heard her laugh, dispite the background headache and chilly wind. "Oh, you never know when something like that would come in handy. We still on for tonight?" he said pleasently.
grendel
13:17:02 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Outside Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"Of course. I'll be by your place at seven, okay?"
grendel
19:13:11 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"Changed? How so?"

Vedic sipped from his drink, glancing around to ensure their conversation was still private.
Scrapheap
22:51:37 Tuesday, 09 January, 2063 - On the road

"You're never gonna fraggin' quess what I just got fraggin' hired ta do," John replied. "But we should prob'ly wait ta talk it over face ta face." Trying to hide the anxiousness he felt, hoping for good news, the old samurai continued, "How'd yer night go?"
Scrapheap
23:08:26 Saturday January 13, 2063; The Fun House, Downtown

Hearing Ludi accept, both gangers smiled and Byte shoved the contents of his his cupped hands towards her. Cradled in his dirty palms was a certified credstick and some crinkled paper scrip. "Ken'sda 'tiz, g'lette. Wha'fr da sha-zinnie, J dun..."

Her patience nearly at an end, Ludmilla abruptly grabbed the money out of Byte's hands with her left, while she held up her right to halt his maddening speech, cigarette dangling from the corner of her mouth. "Be quiet. Please." He scowled and glanced at his partner, but snapped his mouth shut.

Thumbing the credstick, she saw that it held nuyen.gif 116. She didn't bother to count the rest, assuming the two wouldn't stiff her for such a small amount. If she were to be cheated, it would be for the remaining nuyen.gif 1200. She stuffed the money into one of her pockets and then turned to the young orc. "Sorry. Please, continue."

"Well, as my friend was sayin', we'll tell ya whatever you need ta know about the meet. The J didn't say how many he was bringing, and he didn't give us a limit neither. Just a when and where, right?"

Ludi sighed quietly to herself. She hated working with amateurs, and she hated working without proper intel. "Ok, ok. Just give to me the address and I will check it out. Then, when we go to the meet, we will be better prepared."

The gangers glanced at each other again. "Uh, we can give ya the address, nul persp, right? But, uh, well... the meet's in about 30 minutes. Matter of fact we should probably get goin' if we don't want to be late."
Slipshade
22:51:51 Tuesday, 09 January, 2063 - One Lincoln Tower

"Right." Max replied to John's rhetorical question. He could probably guess, since it seemed like everything was pointing them in the same direction, but he followed John's cue and didn't follow up, instead he answered the street sam's other question.

"I've got an angle, but we like you say, we should talk in person. Meet me at my place and we can go over what we found out." Max was anxous and hopeful that their search would end tonight, but he didn't want to get John's hopes up or his for that matter. It was more than likely a just another step along the trail, but at least it was something.
bclements
19:15:19 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

Vedic's scan didn't indicate any undue interest in their conversation; his dark coat got some looks from the fashionistas of the crowd, and Vanessa's blonde hair and pale skin had garnered a few glances as well. For the most part, however, the people in the club swayed and grinded to the DJ's respun rhythem, the lights twirled overhead in time with the hard beat pumping from the overhead speakers, the people in the bar area tried to talk each other out of phone numbers, and no one paid them any attention.

"Before, in the restaurant, he was, well, nervous," she said. "Nervous or bored, I couldn't tell which. Like I said, he just kept checking the time and waiting on a phone call. Didn't seem like the same person that I talked to online," she continued, shaking her head. "I just wanted it to end about halfway through the date. I'm no simstar, but I'm not putting up with that kind of disinterest," she said, hands moving around with her words.
Mister Juan
23:09:33 Saturday January 13, 2063; The Fun House, Downtown

Chto?!”

Even if neither of the gangers spoke Russian, it was easy to understand what Ludi was trying to convey. Her game face had fallen literally to the floor, her eyes widen, her brow furrowed, her teeth gritting against each other. She hated moving without intel… and she wasn’t about to do just that, she was going to be rushed.

She snapped; red started going up to her cheeks, her right hand slightly trembling.

“Are you fragging kidding me?” she said, rather angry, her eyes locked on kid’s. “The meet is in 30 fragging minutes?!

As he was about to reply something, she raised her left hand at him, “Just shut the frag up.”

It wasn’t too late; she could still walk about from the whole thing. But there was always a chance that the two deckers were only nervous… and that everything could go out with a single hitch. It could very well be the easiest wad of nuyen she ever made. Plus, these two kids were such amateurs that if something did go south, they’d never get out of it alive.

Rubbing the bridge of her nose with her thumb and index, she spoke in a low exasperated tone.

“This is just ridiculous… I’m surprised you guys are still alive… and seeing the sort of two bit fragged up small time operation you’re running I think it’s more of a miracle you’re both breathing.”

Running her right hand through her short black hair, Ludi exhaled a rather important sigh.

Walk away. Just walk. Just let these two guys get themselves killed. Don’t let them drag you down with them.

After looking at both gangers, from head to toe, for a few seconds, she finally spoke again.

“I shouldn’t do this. I should walk away right now….” She looked up at Byte, then Scratch. Her green eyes were dark, and something deadly seem to pour out of her gaze.

“Let’s go. Now. I swear to God, if you stiffen me on this deal, I’ll kill you both. Clear?”
bclements
13:17:24 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Outside Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"You're picking me up? Will wonders ever cease?" Tony said, teasingly.
grendel
19:15:36 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"Interesting. You don't happen to have anything of his, do you? Nothing he might have given you that night, or that you might have taken by accident? How did he seem online?"
bclements
19:16:40 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"No, nothing," Vanessa said. "I tasered him pretty quick after he got...after he attacked me. The shock backed him off, and he got scared away after that."

Responding to the second question, she continued "Online, he seemed very likable. Very approachable, witty, seemed genuinely interested. The guy I went out with, the guy that's been stalking me don't seem like the guy that I met in the 'Trix," she said, shaking her head ruefully.

"That's the last time I use that dating service."
grendel
19:16:58 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"That's interesting. Did the dating service match you solely based on a personality test, or did you interact with Norman in a virtual setting as well? Do you think that the person you spoke with online is not the same person that you met with in reality?"

Vedic scanned the file Vanessa sent him, searching for an address.
grendel
13:17:31 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

"No, they won't. See you tonight." Reign chuckled again as she closed the phone, relaxing back on the massage table. After a moment she opened her eyes again and fixed her bodyguard with a dark gaze.

"Ready for tonight?"

"It's a good night to feed," replied Trance, eyes alight.
bclements
19:18:02 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"I just answered a questionnaire," Vanessa said, in answer to the first question. "Just general stuff, age range you were looking for, income level, type of activities you like, that king of drek. It wasn't as indepth as the one I had when I started this job. I did all of that before I started talking to him, at the signup. He wasn't the first one I talked to, but he seemed the most genuine. At the time," she continued.

"You know, it could have been another person instead of Norman. I've thought of that as well, but...well, the meat person used some of the same speech patterns as the 'Trix persona. Had a few of the same motions as well, touching hair, that kind of thing. Could it be? Yeah, I guess. I don't think so, but its possible," she finished, feeling more comfortable with the technical question.

bclements
13:20:50 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - 3 blocks north of Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Tony, still smiling from Reign’s voice, made it to his car. Opening the door, he paged through his psec, setting a reminder and looking for any others. God, I hope that he isn’t still fragged off about last night he thought, seeing one that made the smile go away for a moment, then broadening to fill his face. Sam, despite his well deserved ill temper on many occasions, probably wasn’t as mad as he let on to be.

Firing up the Americar and turning up the heat, he dialed Sam’s LTG, hoping for an answer. Ribs, some beer, and we’ll be in business he thought while the line rang.
grendel
13:21:28 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - 3 blocks north of Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

The line rings four times before connecting.

"Hey kid, make it quick, the lunch crowd stays late on Saturdays."
grendel
19:18:36 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"For the time being, let's assume that the man you met in reality is the same man that you initially met online. If, in the process of my investigation, I find otherwise, then we can reevaluate our next course of action. There's one last thing I'd like to address. You've already stated that you'd prefer non-lethal means be employed in convincing Mr. Anderson to cease his pursuit of you. What if nothing short of death convinces him?"

Vedic tabbed open the mapsoft loaded into his commlink, overlaying a course from The Paradigm Shift to Windmere Transport.
Scrapheap
22:52:07 Tuesday, 09 January, 2063 - Enroute to One Lincoln Tower

"A'ight, chummer. See ya in a few." John disconnected the call and tossed the cheap cell into the passenger seat. He turned at the next street, altering his course as he changed destinations from his Touristville doss to Max's highrise penthouse.

23:39:22 Tuesday, 09 January, 2063 - One Lincoln Tower - Express Elevator

The ride over had been quick, as there wasn't much traffic at this hour on a Tuesday. It had taken a few minutes to find parking, but after that it had been just a quick trip through building security and then into the express elevator. John held the back of his cybered left hand to his mouth as he stifled a yawn. The luxurious elevator was warm, its motion gentle, the piped-in music soothing, and it had been a long day.

Finally, a gentle chime announced his arrival at Max's Penthouse and the doors slid silently open.
bclements
19:20:08 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

Vanessa laughed bitterly. "I don't want that on my conscience. I just want him to leave me alone,” she said, looking down for a moment.

“I’m not sure I’m paying you enough to kill anyone, anyway,” she finished, smiling faintly.
bclements
13:21:57 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - 3 blocks north of Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"Want me to bring you some real food after you get off this afternoon, old man? I owe you an apology after drunk dialing you last night anyway, Tony said.
Scrapheap
23:11:54 Saturday January 13, 2063; The Fun House, Downtown

"A'ight! A'ight! Fraggin' hell!" Scratch cried as he held both hands up in a placating gesture. "We didn't think it'd be that big a deal. The J's real interested in what we got ta offer, so we think it'll be chill."

"Fragg'n ch'allz, n'all'ight!" Byte offered from where he hid behind his larger friend.

"If everything is so "chill," then why am I here?" Ludi had recovered from the initial shock, though her green cybereyes still blazed. "Why not handle the meet yourself and keep all of the nuyens?"

Scratch slung his deck-case over his shoulder and sat it on the desk. "We may be confident, but we ain't stupid." He opened the case and removed the deck and a few components with sure, practiced motions and quickly began to set everything up on the desk. "See, there's this old sammy that hangs with some of our chummers, right? Always tellin' stories 'bout the bad old days, if anyone'll listen. We know things can go bad in a hurry, so we thought we'd best get us some help."

"Knach'lee g'lette, ken webeez de'tinkuhns, ennut sc'pahz."

"Fraggin'-a, chummer. Lovers, not fighters, right?" Byte laughed and the two gangers executed a complicated handshake before Scratch went back to his deck. He quickly connected a cheap roll-out screen, and punched a few keys. A map displayed, overlaying a satellite image.

"After we set up the sale with the J, we checked out the area. Seems pretty neutral, right. It's on Yak territory, down by the docks, but the J def ain't Yak."

Ludi moved closer to the screen, which showed a fenced-in area, maybe some kind of holding yard, next to a warehouse. Large shipping containers, the kind carried on huge freighters, filled the area. Elevation was clearly marked on the map, and she could spot several places for potential ambush. Of course, she'd seen worse too.
grendel
19:20:37 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

Vedic didn't have the heart to tell her that life was cheap, and sold on the streets for much less than what she was offering him. Occasionally, death came free. He slotted the credstick she offered, deducting a thousand nuyen before handing it back.

"I understand. That's half to set events in motion. The other half I'll collect when you are satisfied that Mr. Anderson no longer pursues you. Do we have an accord?"
grendel
13:22:35 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - 3 blocks north of Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"After all this time, you can still bring a smile to my face kid. Make it a double, whatever you're bringing."
bclements
19:23:37 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"Yes, we do," Vanessa said, taking the credstick back and putting it in her pocket. As she stood to leave, she added, "I call you when it stops. If you need anything else from me, call the number that I called you from. I'll answer." The short, blonde human walked off, silloutetted by the red and white strobe lights that flashed overhead. Flashes of slim leg showed in the light; by Vedic's estimation, someone of Anderson's build could have thrown her around without trouble.

As she walked away, Vedic's commlink vibrated softly, reminding him that it had compleated its routing. Windmere Transport's office was located on the southwest end of Bellevue, just off the 405 at 29-57 Kennewick Place NE. The mapsoft gave several routes, highlighting the most direct route at this time of day.
grendel
19:25:08 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

Vedic sipped from his water, watching the crowd as Vanessa left. He checked the bar and the upper tiers around the dance floor to see if anyone reached for a commlink, or touched a throat mic, or dropped cred on a tab and moved to follow. Finished with his water, he opened a call window to Zeyda. When the fixer picked up, he appended the file to his voice transmission.

"I need as much information on Norman Anderson as five hundred nuyen will buy me as soon as you can get it."

"Don't ask for much do you, kid?"

"Only what I need. You'll know it when I ask for a lot."

"I dread the day. I'll call you as soon as I can.

Standing, Vedic slotted the credstick to close his tab before moving out the door. He had an appointment at the offices of Windmere Transport.
Mister Juan
23:13:33 Saturday January 13, 2063; The Fun House, Downtown

Looking over at the display, Ludi didn’t like, at all, what she was seeing. The designated meeting spot was recluse and out of the way of pretty much everything. Yes. Indeed. It was discreet, always a thing one preferred to conduct some clandestine business… or some quiet killing and body dumping.

Walk away. Just walk away now. Get the cred, give it back and walk. Now.

But what if it was just her imagination. What if the deckers were just jumpy? Using the training she had, she mustered up what seemed to her like the safest route in and out of the place. Ludmilla knew very well that the gear she would get to use was what she had on herself… which was not a whole lot. Everything she carried was short on range and ammo. If things went south, she’d have to play it damn up close and personal. Taking her psec out of one of her many pockets, she plugged it behind her right ear. Her green cyber eyes focused on the displayed map, taking pictures of the map and transfering them to the device's memory. Silently, Ludmilla cursed herself for never getting some actual cyber memory.

“Do you have a vehicle… and can any of you two use a weapon? Also… how much is the data you’re carrying worth?”

She looked up at them before they could answer her last question.

“Don’t lie to me. I don’t want a bigger cut. The higher the price, the more likely your Johnson might try to double cross you. The safest thing we could do would be to encrypt the data, and give them the key once we’re away from the site…. But this is your deal. You do what you want.”

Ludi went back to the map.

“This place is very dangerous. If I wanted to ambush you, I would put people here, here and here” she said, pointing out the spots.

She spoke in a clear and cold clinical tone.

“Overlapping fields of fire. Massive kill zones… If something happens, the course of action is not to fight it out…”
bclements
19:30:08 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Outside the Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

Vedic’s continued to watch the crowd as he disconnected the call. A woman, silhouetted by a strobe light against the crowd on the floor seemed to dance for him. Ignoring her to glance around at the rest of the club, no one seemed to notice either Vanessa or him leaving. Clubgoers went about the serious business of partying the night away, and it was too early in the evening for the bouncers to have any more of a job than to oogle the eye candy on display.

Except for his employer, he was the only one leaving; a longer line than when he entered greeted him along with the cold wind as he left the soupy warmth of the club. Crossing the secured parking lot, Vedic fired up his car, slaving the mapsoft on the commlink to the autonav in the automobile as the car warmed up. The brightly lit and patrolled parking area was filling up rapidly, and a line of cars, bikes, and other vehicles were queued up for spots.

As he turned out of the razorwire topped gate that marked the parking lot to the Paradigm Shift, Vedic’s commlink buzzed with an incoming voice-only call. Opening up the window, it wasn’t a number that he recognized. ”Hoi. Zeyda be askin’ me to give ya a call,” a deep bass sing-song voice asked.
grendel
19:30:14 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Outside the Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"Did he say what about?"

Vedic switched the vehicle over to auto-drive, opening up his commlink to take notes.
bclements
19:30:14 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Outside the Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"He sad ya wanted somone wit da Talent. Me, I'ma dat somone,"
grendel
19:30:20 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Outside the Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"Excellent. A face to face is required. Do you have a preferred location?"
bclements
19:30:50 Saturday 13 January 2063 - Outside the Paradigm Shift, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"Ah, I'ma easy man. Tell ya wat, I'll be in de Openwater, 'tis a shop down in Downtown. 'Till around 2 or so dis mornin'. Jou look ma up, I'll know when I see jou," the sing-song voice said.

The mapsoft, doggedly following the conversation, automatically plotted a course parellel then diverging to the shop, leaving the current destination as a faint line in the display. Touching the line would divert the autonav to the alternate course.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012