Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
Scrapheap
07:23:57 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen

John poured himself another cup of 'kaf. Raising the cup, he blew across the hot liquid to cool it somewhat before taking a sip.

"Well, as far as the couple, start with public records. Medical records would be fraggin' great, but I don't know how much time that'd take. Somethin' that would give us any idea why they'd be "clients" at this clinic.

"For the address, just some directions. Details about the building if possible."

Looking at Iris' print-out gave the older runner an idea. "Ya know, we got an LTG number. Maybe we should just give the Wongs a call? Anyone wanna pretend to be some concerned suit from the clinic, callin' to inform them about the break-in and possible loss of personal medical-type info?"
WinterRat1
07:24:23 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen

Iris paused, tapping her finger against her cheek as she listend to John's idea, before she contributed, "Medical records are hard to get these days, what with all the ways they can be used against you. Besides, this was a research clinic. It's entirely possible that the Wongs have no conditions that required its immediate assistance. Or if it's as shady as we think, it could be an alias, any number of things. We have an address and number, and they may be a fake as well, but at least through using them we could figure out if they are a legit identity or not."
bclements
13:13:44 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

After having the medkit give alternating diagnoses of VITAS, pregnancy (with a 40% probablity of a breech birth, according to the readout), and some Laotian mosquito borne fever Tony couldn't even pronounce and had never heard of, he closes the medkit with a smash, making his head swim slightly. Stupid Tan Tien surplus peace of drek. Even I could program a computer better than this! he thinks as he gingerly walks over an puts the medkit back his duffel bag, along with the Semopal and katana, his pistol that had skidded under a car, and both of Marq's heavy gold pistols. After heafting that into the trunk of the Americar, he heads back for Marq.

This trip is a little tougher, but after a hard bout of nausea halfway to the car, he manages to get him in the passenger seat. Finally settled into the car, he pulls out his psec whatever they make this thing out of, I need armor like it. Not even a scratch on it! he thinks and notices a call from Todd. Hearing the message, he calls the decker back.

Hoi there, hombre. You ok? Tony says horsely.
Ecclesiastes
13:13:50 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Apartment 875, Parkewood Village Apartments, Tacoma

Todd jumps as his phone goes off, seeings it Tony he quickly answers.

"I'll live. Ego got brused more than anything. What took you so long man, I was gettin' worried."
Scrapheap
07:25:03 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen

John moved from the soy-kaf machine to look out of one of the kitchen's barred windows. "A'ight. Then how about you just see if you can find some directions to this address? Maybe a quick search of some public records to see if they're real people or not?"

"Weren't ya gonna call the number?" Twiggy asked around a mouthful of cereal.

"Yeah, but maybe we should wait. If we're gonna check out the address I don't want to let 'em know we're comin,' right?" Turning to look at Iris and Max he added, "Unless you think we should?"

Waiting for an answer, the old samurai looked out at the steadily falling snow. "Hoi, Max. That gal that was here with her kid yesterday...uh, Melina, right? Know how ta get ahold of her? Lookin' at this snow makes me think that maybe the Respite should be open today. Lot of fraggers are gonna need a warm place to squat today."
bclements
13:14:05 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

"We walked into some sort of standoff in Sea-Tac, a friend of mine and I. Got the drek pounded out of us, but they left us here. Whoever these guys are were pros; I'm lucky not to be in a chopshop right now. Sorry to tell you this, but I'm not in any shape to do that thing later on today. We can make some plans though. Thanks for trying to help us though, I owe you one.
Ecclesiastes
13:14:25 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Apartment 875, Parkewood Village Apartments, Tacoma

"Its cool man, more time to research. Is there anything I can do for you? I've got a doc friend I can put you in contact with."
Slipshade
07:26:02 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen

After negotiating with the cab company Max turns his attention back to the conversation between John and Iris.

"I agree John, it would be best to have a look at the location before calling. If the location is legit I know someone that may be able to talk to them without drawing to much attention to us. He is in the media and an inquiry about the explosion and possible lost records won't look to odd coming from a reporter. As for Melina, she should be in soon. She told me she would be here to open up, so I would imagine that the weather has slowed her down a bit."

Max pulls out his pocket secretary and opens up the address book. He jots down on address and phone number on a sheet of paper and hands it to John.

"Here is her number and address. The phone only works sporadically, so if she doesn't show in a little bit give it a try. If the line is down, it may be a good idea to send one of the gangers over there to see if she is ok. Just in case."
WinterRat1
07:27:39 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen

"We can help run the place while you're gone," Tyler speaks up, and is interrupted by Megan, who interjects, "As long as you come back for us when you're done."

In the meantime, Iris had gone over to the wall and jacked in; surprisingly enough, the place had Matrix access. A few brief moments later, she walked back and announced, "They seem real. The address and ID checks out, they live in a nice condo in Downtown Seattle."

Scribbling stuff down on a piece of paper, she adds, "I didn't get any personal information on them, that would take time for an actual search. But I checked the residents list of the condo apparently located at this address, and the Wongs turned up. It was so easy I'd find it hard to believe they're anything but legit, it was the equivalent of looking them up in the phone book."

"So who's going to go talk to them?" Twiggy asked, looking at John just as Iris hands the samurai the paper with directions to the condo.
Slipshade
07:27:39 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen

"The way I look at it we have only two real choices for making contact with the Wongs. I can either contact my friend and he can interview them, or one or both of us can go speak to them in person. The problem with the later is two-fold. First problem, John and I are fairly recognizable people and second, we may not want to let anyone who is funding the clinic in on who is asking questions about them. Both ideas have their drawbacks."
bclements
13:14:28 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

"Thanks, my medkit thinks I'm pregnant, but I don't think its anything a bottle and a nap can't cure. Did the decker you ran into do anything odd? They used non-lethal rounds...why the hell would you come to a standoff with gels? Why not the real thing? Tony thought to himself.
Ecclesiastes
13:14:30 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Apartment 875, Parkewood Village Apartments, Tacoma

"Well, he was running some hard core agents as backup. I tore into him and those things tore right through my connection. I think I managed to dump him before they got me, but I'm not sure. If I were you, I'd get the heck outta there. If you need a place to crash, you're welcome here.
bclements
13:14:40 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

This kid is worth his weight in gold. Tony thinks to himself. I'm getting out of here as soon as I stop seeing double jefe. Thanks for the room offer, but I've got a place to hole up for a bit. You want to meet up later on this evening, say around 2100 or so?
Scrapheap
07:29:12 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen

John took the address and directions from Iris, looked them over and stuck them into his pocket. He then listened to Max as he lit a cigarette.

"I really think one of us needs to talk to them, Max. Your friend may not know what ta ask. Drek, they may not even agree to be interviewed, 'specially if he mentions the clinic."

"Who says they'd talk to you either, old-timer?" Megan asks from the other side of the table. "And if the building's anything like Max's you probably couldn't sneak in anyway."

But if I got in I could make them talk to me... Shaking his head at the thought, John looked to Iris. "She's right; I'd need a way in. You think you could put an appointment into the building's log? Like a heating tech visit? Anything to get me past security and inside the Wong's condo?"

"Maybe. I wouldn't know without trying. But, John..." Iris looked the old runner up and down. "I hate to say it, chummer, but you don't look much like a tech of any kind. Sorry."

"How 'bout a retired tech?" Megan whispered loudly to Tyler, causing him to smile and shake his head.

Giving the girl a flat look, John turned back to the others. "Well, frag. What then? What about you, Max? Maybe we should talk to them. Pose as suits from the clinic. I could go as your security. We could even call first, ask to meet, set up a time, all legit-like. What do you think?"
Slipshade
07:30:05 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen

"Your right it would probably be best for me to go. Lets give them a call and try to set up a meeting with them. Maybe even inform then about last nights events and tell them that we are trying to piece together some of the records that were lost in the "accident." What do you think?"
Scrapheap
07:30:27 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen

"That's exactly what I was thinkin.' Iris, you willing to play along? Call the Wong's ta set up the appointment? It'll sound more official if an "admin" calls."

Taking a drag off of his cigarette, John fished his cell and the variety of numbers he'd been given out of his pocket. "When do you want to do this, Max? You wanna go before or after you make those calls? Like I said, I could go with you if you want, long as it's not around noon. In the meantime, I'll call Melina and see if we need to go pick her up."
Slipshade
07:30:51 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen

"I would say we set the meeting up early, like 9:00 or 10:00am if we can. That way you have the option of coming along and it should give me time to head home and make myself look more corporate as well as make my calls."

Maybe he was just being paranoid, but the more he thought about it, he liked the idea of having some muscle around if things went bad.

"It may be best for you to come along anyway. If the Wongs are working for the clinic in any way, they may try to set us up.
Scrapheap
07:31:19 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen

Iris snapped her gum (which she must have started chewing when John was looking out the window) and stood. "Sure thing, boss. Lemme set up my gear."

Moving back over to where she'd left her deck, the young runner pulled out a head-set, connected it to the deck, and put it on. "I'm gonna set it up so the call will be harder to trace. It won't be foolproof, but it'll look a little more mysterious to the Wongs when their telecom reads 'unknown caller.' It may give the illusion of being more secure, if they don't know any better."

She got comfortable, gave her gum a snap, and jacked-in. As her body slumped and her fingers began to move across the keyboard, John turned to Max. "We'll both go, as long as the Wongs say it's OK to meet before I have ta go. You'll have to do most of the talking though, with our original idea of me bein' your security detail."

As Max mulled that over, the older runner added. "Nul persp, chummer. You'll be great. Your cab should be here any minute, right? I can give ya a call with the info when our girl's done."

As if on cue, one of the other gangers stuck his head in the door. "Hoi. There's a cabbie out here that says someone needs a ride?"

"It's for me," Max replied. "Tell him I will be out directly. John, I will wait for your call. In the meantime I will make myself more presentable and make the calls to my contacts. Good luck."

John nodded and watched as the pale elf exited. He then turned his attention back to Iris. He finished his smoke and had just ground-out the butt as the decker suddenly began to speak.

"Mrs. Wong? Good morning, this is Linda from the clinic. Yes, ma'am, that is correct: The Research for Practical Applications Clinic. How are you this morning? Good, good.

"I'm afraid that I have some unsettling news. There was a security breach here at the Clinic late last night and many records were lost. Because of our unique system, it is not possible that any personal information was stolen during the breach. However, we will need to recreate our records. Would you be willing to meet with our representatives this morning, say at 9:30?"
WinterRat1
07:34:13 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen

Mrs. Wong hesitates uncertainly, before she slowly says, "9:30...OK...I think that should be fine. I'll have to call my husband and tell him to come back from work, this sounds important and I think that he'll want to be there as well. I'll tell the guard to expect you. Who should I tell them is coming?"
Scrapheap
07:34:33 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen

Iris smiled. "Thank you for your assistance in this matter, Mrs. Wong. Tell your guard to expect a Mr. Jones at 9:30. He will be accompanied by a member of our security detail."

The decker paused a beat before adding, "Don't worry, Mrs. Wong. We'll take care of everything. Mr. Jones will see you at 9:30. Have a nice day."
Bastard
13:20:51 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

Marquis stirs a bit in Todd's car, his only awareness is the heavy ringing in his ears. His hand swats the air at nothingness, but what he perceives to be the source of the noise.

consciousness slowly creeps upon Marquis in the form of a throbbing headache. It feels like a bad hangover while still being drunk, in addition to being hit in the face with a badmitten racket, or other obscure sports equipment.
bclements
13:21:08 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS
"Welcome back to the living," Tony says after seeing Marquis stir. "How do you feel?"
Scrapheap
07:36:02 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen

Tapping one final button on her deck, Iris shuddered and reached up to remove the cable from her datajack. She turned to the others as she wound the cord to her headset. "All set, boss. You and 'Mr. Jones' will check in with the building's guard at 09:30. Mrs. Wong seemed a little nervous, but I get the feeling it had more to do with the situation than with my performance, if you know what I mean."

John nodded. "Yah, I do. Don't worry none, girl. You did a real wiz job. I almost believed it myself." He gave his watch a quick glance before continuing. "A'ight, we got about 2 hours. I gotta call Melina and Max and then get cleaned up. Iris, are you gonna hang around or what?"

"Well," she paused while packing gear into her knapsack. "If you don't mind, what I'd really like is to be dropped off at Loveland Quinn's. I'm having trouble figuring out the isolated system and I'd really like to go over it with Finn. The way it reacted when I jacked-in, well, I just don't get it. It was like there was nothing I could do." She trailed off and stared into space for a second. "Uh, anyway, if anyone knows what it was it would be Finn."

"Fair enough. It'd be cutting it pretty close if I was to take you. Too close." John turned to Tyler.

The young ganger finished his bottle of soy-cola as he stood from the kitchen stool. "I'll go see if our ride's around." As he walked from the room, John could plainly see where the kid carried his Predator, not only from the tell-tale lump but from his body-language as well. He made a mental note to show him how to conceal it better.

"You want us to go too?" Twiggy asked around a mouthful of cereal, as Iris got up and motioned that she was going to go after the rest of her stuff.

"Nah. I don't even want Ty to go. I think you guys'll be needed here. Send a couple of chummers to take her to Finn's." He pulled his cell from a jacket pocket. "I gotta make some calls. You guys know how ta get breakfast started?"

"Nah, but we'll figure somethin' out. Go ahead and make your calls, old man." Megan stood and grabbed the younger elf by his collar. "Go get a couple of guys ta help in here, Twig. We gotta get started."

Dialing the number that Max had given him, John was surprised as the call was connected almost immediately. A short, loud burst of static was followed immediately by a couple of thumps and a mumbled, "Piece of drek." When the line cleared he heard a woman's voice. "Yes? Hello?"

"Melina? It's John Standard. We met yesterday. Is everything OK?"

"John? Uh, yeah it's fine. What do you need?" He could hear Trancer in the background ask who was calling, followed by a shush from Melina.

"I'm down at the Respite right now. With the drekky weather and everything I'm afraid that the place'll be fraggin' swamped today. Were you gonna come in today? The kids could really use your help. I could send someone over ta get you?"

"We were just getting ready to leave, John. We'll be there in a few minutes; we don't live far. See you soon."

John hit the 'end' button on his cheap cell and quickly dialed Max. He took a sip of tepid 'kaf as he waited for the call to connect. With a click, he heard the rich voice of the shaman. "Hello?"

"Still in the cab?"

"John? Yes, travel is very slow this morning. How did it go?"

"Wiz. Iris set it up for 9:30. I'll swing by your place in an hour or so. That give you enough com-time?"

"I think that should be sufficient to make the calls I have in mind. I will see you then. I'll tell security to expect you."

Returning the cell to his jacket, the old runner stood and drained his cup. Figuring that the Respite had to have a stash of toiletries for the squatters that needed them, he decided to clean up here as opposed to going back to the Co-op. He just hoped that he could make himself presentable with what was available.

As he turned to leave Megan said, "Don't forget to come back and get us, old man. You need our help."

John smiled yet said nothing as he left the kitchen.
Scrapheap
08:46:11 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - 6 Bellevue Way, One Lincoln Tower

John slowed the van to a halt near the curb, tires making a crunching sound in the snow. Looking into the lobby, he could see a number of people coming and going. Glancing at his watch, he realized that the poor weather had made the trip from the Respite longer than he had planned. Deciding that it would be quicker to have Max meet him there at the van than to go through security, he pulled out his cell and dialed the shaman's number. After a moment, he was connected to voice-mail.

"Max, I'm downstairs in the van. Come down when you get this message. It'll be quicker than me comin' up."

Disonnecting, John replaced the phone and pulled out his cigarettes. Lighting one and replacing the pack, he adjusted the mirror to check his appearance. He'd managed to shave and shower, and though his clothes were going on day 2, he thought he looked presentable. Besides, his part in this was 'security grunt.' Max was the one who needed to impress the Wongs.

He returned the mirror to it's original setting just in time to see a car slide through the intersection behind him. Shaking his head at the stupidity, he wondered if the gangers had managed to deliver Iris to Finn in one piece. He'd have to call and check in with them after the Wong's and his noon meeting at Lee Chee Garden. Hopefully they would have something for him.

Checking his watch again, John leaned over to look up at the Tower, the top lost in the grey skies and falling snow. He hoped that Max had gotten his call and was on his way down. A few more minutes and he'd have to go in. Until then though, he cracked the window a little wider and leaned back in his seat to wait.
Slipshade
07:31:19 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen

The snow was still falling as Max stepped out onto the street. He pulled his secure long coat tightly around him to ward off the chill. An Emerald City cab had slid to a stop in front of The Respite Soup Kitchen, the smoke from its exhaust mingling with the white powder of the snowfall.

“See ya around Max.” said one of the gangers watching the door. He was a big kid, bulky and awkward in that teenage sort of way, but his eyes looked old, older than what he should be. But that seemed to be the way of it out here in the Barrens. These kids had seen more in their young lives than people twice Max’s age and most of it bad. He nodded towards the kid.

“See ya and thanks for helping out. Keira would be proud of you guys.”

“Null Persp. Chummer. We look out for our own.”

The window on the emerald green, Ford Americar cab rolled down and a wisp of cigar smoke escaped from inside as one of the ugliest orcs imaginable stuck his head through the opening.

“You getting in or what? It’s fraggin cold out here.” He grunted, cigar nub dangling behind the chipped, yellow tusk on the right side of his mouth.

The youth looked ready to shoot the cabby a few unkind words, but Max cut him off.

“Yes, I’m ready.”

Max could hear the lock on the back door of the sedan pop open as he approached. Opening the back door of the cab Max ducked his head and slid into the backseat. The cab itself was musty and smelled of cheap cigar smoke, but at least it was warm. The plexiglass security shield slid down a bit allowing the crackle of the cabbies CB radio to be heard along with the rumbling tones of some new troll metal band.

“Where to?” The ugly orc said, puffing a ring of smoke into the back of the cab.

One Lincoln Tower, Bellevue.” Max replied

“Yeah, I know where it is.” The gruff cabby slid the security shield back in place and pulled out into the snowy streets.

Max leaned his head back against the seat and closed his eyes for a moment. He was still very tired. The cot he had slept on left a number of sore muscles and kinks that would take a masseuse a week to get out. He again asked himself the question that he had repeated to himself a number of times over the last day.

‘What in the hell are you doing?’

In the last 24 Hours his friend had been kidnapped, he had been shot multiple times, broken into a medical clinic and knocked an innocent security guard senseless. Now he is planning to impersonate a corporate official with the intent on gaining illegal access to possible medical records with the help of a shadowrunner.

‘What the hell am I doing?’

‘Doing what you must, what is in your nature to do.’

Max almost jumped out of his skin at the sound of the voice and looked around the cab. Nothing appeared to be different and the cabby hadn’t seemed to notice anything out of the ordinary.

‘Must be lack of good sleep.” Max thought.
Slipshade
07:36:02 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville – In a Cab

From his jacket pocket Max’s cell phone began to ring. Checking the number, he saw it was John and answered.

"Hello?"

"Still in the cab?"

"Yes, travel is very slow this morning. How did it go?"

"Wiz. Iris set it up for 9:30. I'll swing by your place in an hour or so. That give you enough com-time?"

"I think that should be sufficient to make the calls I have in mind. I will see you then. I'll tell security to expect you."

Hanging up with John, he thinks to himself.

‘Best make those calls.’
Slipshade
07:36:32 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville – In a Cab

Max flips through the cell’s address book and pulls up the first number…he could only hope the old Shaman was in…

A few rings later the voice of a matronly woman answered the phone.

“Hello?” She inquired

“Hello, Mrs. Greybow. I was wondering if I might speak with your husband Thomas?”

“I’m sorry Thomas isn’t in right now. May I ask who’s calling?"

“My name is Maxwell Steiner, I am a former colleague of your husbands. We worked together on a dig last year. Do you expect him in anytime soon?

“Hard to say Mr. Steiner, he is out on site again. It could be a while and he never takes his phone when out on a job. I will tell him that you called though, when he checks in. Does he have your number?”

“I believe he does, but I will give it to you anyway, just in case.”

Max gives Thomas’s wife his number and after saying his goodbye hits the next number
Slipshade
07:40:15 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville – In a cab

‘Damn, things just couldn’t be easy. Without Thomas’s help, my ritual links are useless.’

The quick pickup on the other end of the phone startled Max out of his self-pity.

Empowerment Coalition, Libby Chalmer’s office.” The woman on the other line had the practiced voice of someone that answered phones for a living.

Sharon, this is Maxwell Steiner, I need to talk to Libby. It is an emergency.”

“Sure Max, I’ll put you right through.”

“Thanks.”

A momentary click as the line switched over and Libby picked up immediately.

“What’s the matter Max, Sharon said you had an emergency.” Libby sounded a bit flustered, but that was the way she always sounded. Max had never met someone who was as constantly on the move as Libby. She was a work-a-holic in the extreme.

“I don’t know how to say this Libby, but Keira McKay from The Respite Soup Kitchen was kidnapped yesterday.”

“Oh God Max, not Keira…are you sure?”

“Yes, I am sure. I was there when it happened. I have been trying to find her since it happened.”

“You were there?!? Are you ok?”

“I’ll live, but I need your help.”

“Of Course, what can I do?

“Well from what I have been able to find out a couple of street kids had gone to a place called The Research for Practical Applications Clinic. One of the kids got nosy and took a wrong turn at the clinic where he saw what he described as unconscious people being loaded into a van. The kids got spooked and left, but apparently not before they were seen. Later that week someone tried to nab the kids, but one got away. He hid at The Respite and told Keira what happened. She went down to the clinic and asked around, but got nothing. The next day a group of men attacked the Respite and kidnapped her.
I have seen some of the financial records that noted donations from Mothers of Metahumans as well as Humanis which I thought was a bit odd and since I knew you used to head up the Seattle chapter of M.O.M. I thought you could check into the clinic and maybe find something I could use to help find Keira.”

“I’ll do what I can…and Max, be careful it looks like whoever did this has already taken one good person, I don’t want to loose another.”

“I will and thanks Libby. Oh, before I go, you may get a phone call from the media, if you could issue some sort of statement that would be good. I want it to be hard for whoever has Keira to move her.”

“Sure Max, but you know Keira may be…”

“I know Libby, but I can’t think about that right now. I have to go. Thanks for everything.”

“Your welcome and good luck.”

With that Max again hung up this cell and thought about his next move.
Slipshade
07:46:45 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville – In a Cab

It would be risky, but Max was beginning to feel like he was running out of time and he needed a way to catch up. As the cab slowly winded its way through Touristville and into Bellevue, Max punched in the last call he needed to make.

IIN News, “Maverick” Young, whatcha need?”

Maverick huh? Is that what the kids are calling you now?”

“Hey Max, how’ve you been?”

“Not good Marcus, but I may have a story for you.”

“I’m listenin.”

Max proceeds to let Marcus in on the events of the last 24 hours, being careful to leave out Nora, Twiggy and John’s names.

“So I need you to look into this place and tell me what you find. Oh and I even got you a small interview with Libby Chalmers, the Head of the Empowerment Coalition, lined up. Give her a call and let her in on anything you have. You find anything and you let me know. I will do the same, but like the last time, leave my name out of it. If you head over to The Respite drop my name to Melina and she will give you any information that she can”

“No problem Max, I’ll get Keira’s name and picture out on the airwaves and see what I can dig up on the clinic.”

“Be careful though Marcus.”

“Hey you know me.”

“Yah, I know you. Be careful.

Max hung up the phone and again laid his head back down against the seat.

Things were starting to move and Max just hoped he could keep up
Slipshade
07:55:51 Tuesday 09 January 2063 – 6 Bellevue Way, One Lincoln Tower

Approximately ten minutes later the cabby pulled into the valey parking entrance on Max’s Home. Bruce the doorman, bundled against the cold rushed over to open the taxi’s door allowing Max to exit after he had inserted his credstick into the cabs pay receptacle.

“Morning Mr. Steiner.” Bruce said with a smile, his cheeks flush from the cold. “Frightful weather today isn’t it.”

“Morning Bruce and yes it is.” Max drops a few bills of corp script into his hands as is proper.

“Thanks for the Urban Brawl tickets, my daughter and I had a great time.”

“Glad to here it. If I get any extras again, I will let you know.” Max replied hurriedly as Bruce opened the down to the luxury high-rise.

Security let him pass without any checks, it was a nice perk of owning a space in One Lincoln Tower, you never get stopped going in or out. Before he knew it the elevator doors to his home swished open before him. Stepping out a bit tentatively he had the sudden fear of walking into his home and finding a group of Knight Errant police waiting for him on his couch, but there was no one there.

Max knew he didn’t have a lot of time, so he quickly made his way to his bedroom to gather the things he needed. Stripping off the clothes he had worn the night before he stuffed them into a gym bag along with his Remington Roomsweeper. He may need them later and wanted to keep them near. He dropped the secure long coat over the top of the bag, so he wouldn’t forget it.

08:51:02 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - 6 Bellevue Way, One Lincoln Tower

After a quick shower he donned the form fitting body armor again, but this time he put on his best charcoal grey, pin-stripped Armante suit over the top and tied his hair back with a gold hair clip, that matched the pair of gold cuff links on his sleeves. A red and black power tie finished off the corporate look he was going for. While checking himself in his mirror Max noticed a red flash out of the corner of his eye. Someone must have called while he was in the shower. He pressed the listen button on the machine and John’s voice emanated from it.

"Max, I'm downstairs in the van. Come down when you get this message. It'll be quicker than me comin' up."

Looking at the time stamp Max saw that it was just five minutes old. He quickly grabbed the duffle bag and jacket and headed for the door grabbing his Mortimer greatcoat along the way.

It took him not more than a minute to get back out the door and with little traffic out on the streets he spotted John’s van quickly enough. Waiting for a couple of cars to pass he walked across the slush covered roadway to the van and opened the door.

“I think we should take my car. We want to look the part of a couple of corporates and pulling up in this van just won’t look right. Why don’t you pull into the garage and we can take my Westwind.”
Scrapheap
08:52:22 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - 6 Bellevue Way, One Lincoln Tower

"Hoi, Max. Yeah, I know this van ain't too wiz, but it is unmarked. Only thing about takin' your car is it could be linked to you if we was spotted. Your call though, chummer."
Slipshade
08:52:32 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - 6 Bellevue Way, One Lincoln Tower

"Could we swap the plates on the van with the plate on my car...temporarily of course? Besides, look at me. It isn't like I don't stand out. I will be easy to identify no matter what we do."

John chuckles a bit at Max's statement. "True, you sure about this?"

"Yes, I think so. Hopefully nobody will run the plates, besides I may be spending some time away from Seattle soon anyway, so I am not to worried about it."

John still looks skeptical, but nods in agreement.

Max heads back inside while John pulls the van away from the curb and into the parking garage.

Meeting up a couple of minutes later Max opens the trunk of his Westwind and they load there gear into it. Soon after they are pulling out into the street.
WinterRat1
09:25:00 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

About five minutes before their meeting, Max and John arrived at the address Iris had provided. After introducing himself as 'Mr. Jones', they had been shown up without a fuss by the security guard at the desk, who didn't even look up as John set off the metal detectors.

Apparently the Wongs have some pull here if they can get the guard to ignore procedure like that the samurai noted to himself.

Riding the elevator up to the correct floor, they got off, and arrived in front of the apartment door. Knocking politely, Max cleared his throat as the door opened to reveal a middle aged asian woman with glasses and conservative corporate garb standing in it.

"Hello Mrs. Wong. My name is Mr. Jones, from the Research for Practical Applications Clinic. We have an appointment I believe?"

"Yes yes, come in, come in," she replied in crisp, precise english. Showing the two of them to the sitting area, she goes to prepare some tea in the kitchen while calling out something in an oriental language neither of them can understand.

A few moments later, a middle aged asian man with glasses comes out and shakes their hands firmly. The strength of his grip is a bit surprising, coming from an obviously corporate individual who has the air of an intellectual about him to boot.

"My name is Robert Wong, and this," he gestures to the woman in the kitchen, "is my wife, Marina." Smiles and polite greetings are exchanged, before he continues, "I understand that you gentlemen are from the Research for Practical Applications Clinic. Before we continue with this discussion, may I see some identification confirming your affiliation with them please?"
Slipshade
09:30:00 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

Panic gripped Max.

‘Stupid, why didn’t I think of that.’

He took a quick second to gather his thoughts. To cover his uncertainty up he did the only thing he could think of and said…

“I’m sorry Mr. Wong, but that is something that I cannot do. I am an outside investigator. My firm was hired by The Research for Practical Applications Clinic to look into the accident at their offices. They are worried that someone in their employ may have been behind the incident and wanted an outside entity to investigate the matter. What I can do is give you my employer’s card and you can verify my identity that way if you wish.

Max reaches into his pocket and hands Mr. Wong his business card that reads:

Maxwell Steiner, PhD
Private Investigator and Paranormal Specialist
LTG# 566-541-1635

“Though I believe the clinic did call to inform you of our visit today.”

He gives Mr. Wong a reassuring smile and waits for the man’s reaction.
Scrapheap
09:30:00 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

John opened his mouth and almost stepped forward, a line of bull-drek at the ready, when Max started speaking. Hiding his surprise, he remained silent standing in a military "at ease" pose a few steps behind the shaman. Though the explanation given seemed plausible enough, the old runner watched in awe as Max then gave the guy one of his personal cards!

What the frag is he doin!?! Too late to do anything about it now. Well, maybe it'll work...
bclements
13:25:44 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

Leaving Marquis to recover in the car for a bit, Tony slowly and gingerly gets out of the car to look around the area of the firefight. The cold helps jog his mind as he moves about the garage. Drek, I was out for damn near half an hour by the psec's clock, and our stuff was still here. Very odd, and worth more than a glance. And I'm going to be nothing but bruses here in a bit, might as well get it over with.
grendel
13:32:18 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

Keeping to the edges of the parking garage, Tony can clearly see the damage of the recent battle. The cement walls are scarred from richochets, shallow divots blown out or bright smears of lead left behind. More than a dozen vehicles show damage from the blast and overpressure of the concussion grenade launched by one of the subgunners. Oddly, though, none of the car alarms are sounding anymore.

Five bodies lie on the pavement, blood pooling black about them. The four Japanese individuals who opposed the Red team are spread in a shallow arc, bodies contorted in death. The fifth is apart, the man that Tony and Marquis saw sheltered by the woman. A faint blood trail leads away from the body towards the line of nearby cars.

Weapon at the ready, Tony eases forward, eyes and ears alert for a sign of possible ambush. His paranoia, though warranted, is unecessary. The woman lies slumped on the pavement, half in and half out of a green Ford Americar. Blood drools from a pair of bullet holes in her shoulder, and Tony can see her chest fluttering with rapid, shallow breaths. Even without medical training he can tell that she is in shock and will die soon from trauma and blood loss.
bclements
13:33:58 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

Holy Drek Tony thinks. He's seen people shot like this (and worse) before, but none of them lived over it. This isn't my day, but her... he thinks to himself as he reacts.

Running back to his car, feet slapping on the concrete and head swimming in harsh objection to rapid movement from the punishment he's taken, he wrenches open the back door. Pulling the medkit back out of the bag, as well as a trauma patch Trauma Patch? That drek costs... half of him thinks. NEVERMIND THAT, she's gonna die because you weren't good enough to save her the other half overules...

Running back to the Americar, brain seemingly a half step behind the rest of his body as his footfalls ring and echo from the hard surfaces of the garage, he slaps the patch over her heart after undoing a couple of the catches on her blouse yeah, that's what the directions said and attaches the 'trodes of the medkit onto her and I swear to God himself, if your dog brain comes up with VITAS again, or anything other than 'GUNSHOT, DO THIS..., I'm going to hurl you off of this deck and you better pray, PRAY you have a 'chute
bclements
13:35:15 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

After selecting 'English' from the language options, the medkit goes thru its analysis routine, while Tony rips open an antiseptic wipe from the 'kit and cleans his hands.

The Victim has a gunshot wound. In order to stabilize him/her, perform the following actions, as well as calling for emergency services that can provide trauma surgery. Please enter your LTG code on the keypad for a list of providers local to your area...

Well, the dog brain comes thru. Just my day for having the correct answer, though... he thinks, tearing open the numbered plastic and plasticized foil packages to reveal an spray bottle of some kind (antibiotic, according to the package), a couple of heavy absorbant pads, a telescoping articulate plastic wand, and two long, sticky woven plastic bandages. Gently and firmly, in turn according to the medkits directions, he applies the various items to form a makeshift bandage and splint that keeps pressure on the wounds while keeping her arm from moving, protected by the antibac spray.

Turning his attention toward the woman again, after entering the LTG code in and getting a good variety of hospitals along with the ubiquitous emergency number for DocWagon, he says to the woman "Hey, you're going to be ok. You got a DocWagon contract? How did you end up here?"
grendel
13:35:27 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

The woman's eyes flutter, and her mouth moves as if she is attempting to speak, but nothing coherent emerges. Her body shivers almost uncontrollably, and she drops something onto the concrete floor of the garage. At a glance, it appears to be some kind of medical device, a compressed air injection gun.
bclements
13:40:51 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

"Drek," Tony says, seeing no response from the woman and the injector? gun? thing that flashed a green LED from its barrel fall from her grasp.

Thinking as quickly as his recaltrecant head would allow, Tony pointed his finger at the woman and said "Don't die on me yet. We'll get you out of this." Running to Marq's car, with his now stiff muscles joining in to become a duet of aches singing merrly thru his body, he yanks open the door and pulls it into a parking spot close to his Americar. And a paltry excuse for transportation it is, compared to this he thinks to himself as he kills the old Caddie.

Now for the hard part he thinks, striding over to his car and gently opening up the passenger door. "Chummer, I've got to move you, just in case I've got to leave quickly; you aren't in any shape to drive yet, and I'd hate to leave your car here," Tony says to the semi-comatose man in the car. Lifting him gently out of the seat, Tony carries him over to the Caddie as his joints and bruses added a disharmonic melody to the tune his muscles and head were loudly singing.

Sweating in the cold from the exertion, he gently places Marquis in the back bench seat of the car, laying his guns under the floorboards away from view. "Don't try to drive for a bit. If I have to leave before you're OK, I'll check on you. Your guns are under the seat," he says to his injured comrade. Locking the doors and placing the keys in Marq's hands, he walks back over to the gunshot-riddled woman, hoping that she's still alive.
grendel
13:42:03 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

Only the shallow rise and fall of her chest tells Tony that she still lives, her eyes are open and staring. In the dim light and excitement of before he didn't notice, but now he sees that they're cybernetic replacements. High quality replacements, implanted with obvious surgical skill. The irises are a vivid crimson, unnerving in their empty gaze. Her lips flutter, and she inhales a ragged, uneven breath.

"Tell them...tell Massada...we failed...Red Queen...."
WinterRat1
09:33:14 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

Robert takes the card and glances down at it, and holds it for a moment, thinking. Then he says slowly, almost to himself, "Maximillian Steiner...I've heard of your boss. He was a Professor at University of Seattle Washington, wasn't he? Brilliant man. I wonder why he's in the private investigator business these days? Perhaps he's freelancing more as a consultant than an investigator in the way I typically think of it...yes...that's probably it. I wonder if he's changed much since I heard him speak at a University function several years ago? I didn't have the chance to meet him then, but perhaps in the future..."

Clearing his throat, he turns back to 'Mr. Jones'. "My apologies, my thoughts tend to wander on a tangent sometimes Mr. Jones." He takes a seat and spreads his arms, claiming several sections of the couch for himself, as Max sits across from him in a cushy chair, and John remains standing at military rest. "So tell me, what can I do for you gentlemen today?"
Slipshade
09:33:45 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

Max wasn’t sure whether to be relieved at Mr. Wong’s reaction or horrified at the fact that this man had actually seen him before. Max chose to be the former and pulled out his pocket secretary to take down anything of interest in the conversation. He immediately went into his questioning, watching the man’s aura for any signs of deception or anxiety.

“Well sir, do to the incident the night prior The Research for Practical Applications Clinic lost most of the files located on there host system. My office has been hired to help investigate last night’s events, as well as rebuild their lost case files. So my first question to you would be... Do you have any personal copies of any data files detailing your visit to the Clinic?"
WinterRat1
09:34:04 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

"Could you be a bit more specific about which data files you're looking for, Mr. Jones?" Mr. Wong replied easily.
bclements
13:42:30 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

"Massada, how do I get ahold of Massada?" Tony asks imploringly to the red-eyed woman. "I want to help you, but you've got to tell me who to get to help you."
Slipshade
09:34:35 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

“Your file only exists as a name. All other data was lost, so any information hard copy or data file would be vital to the restoration of the clinics records.”

“Why were you and your wife originally seen at the clinic?”

“Who was your primary care physician at the clinic?”

“What care was given at the clinic and who were the attending staff?”

“Did you stay for any length of time at the clinic?”

“Where you seen at any other of The Research for Practical Applications Clinics and if so which ones?”

“Where did you hear about the Clinic and were you refered? If so by whom?”
Bastard
13:42:15 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

Marquis again starts to recover and regain conciousness. His eyes open to a strange world of spinning Cadillac upholstry and soft throbing in his temples. Sitting up is another hurdle to climb, but after a few failed efforts, Marq is able to sit up. It seems the parking garage was not suffering from the same ill effects as the ceiling of the car had. Using the open door for assistance, he tries to stand but finds it more difficult then he expected. Through the cleared smoke he spots Todd across the garage, medkit in hand.

Memories of the short firefight flood back into his head. With his free hand he pats down his chest looking for bullet holes and blood. He finds some hard plastic coating and a dried foreign substance and realizes it was just gel rounds. His left hand goes up to the side of his face where he now realizes is the source of the throbbing. Again he finds broken gel round reminants along with a swollen head and a lot of tenderness. Sure glad that wasnt live ammo. Where the hell did that come from?
WinterRat1
09:35:48 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

Mr. Wong turns to look at Mrs. Wong, who smiles shyly and looks down ever so slightly as she carries a tray of tea over to them. Distributing a cup of tea to each of the men, she says softly, "Shall I look in your office for the records dear?"

Robert nods without taking his eyes off of 'Mr. Jones'. "Thank you honey. Tell me something before we continue if you please, Mr. Jones," he speaks, his aura starting to show signs of suspicion, "who is your supervisor or contact person at the Clinic?"
Slipshade
09:35:52 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

"Thank you for the tea Mrs. Wong." Max takes a sip before replying to the questioning of her husband. 'It is delicious"

"Again, I work for an outside agency. The clinic contacted Mr. Steiner, he would be my supervisor. I was simply tasked to get as much information for re-creation of the client data base as I could. I assure you that anything said here would be held in the utmost secrecy as the reputation of my firm would be at stake if we let confidential medical records be released. As for Mr. Steiner's contact at the clinic, well that I do not know, nor is it my business to know. I would assume that someone at the clinic is in hot water for last nights incident and is trying to do damage control by putting as much of the information back together, as soon as possible, but that is simply speculation on my part. I am just here trying to do my job."

'Remember keep it simple stupid.'

Max continued to press the issue.

"The name of your attending physician would greatly speed along the process of re-creating your files and if you are in any way worried about speaking to myself, I am sure he or she would be able to fill in a majority of the information the clinic needs."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012