Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
WinterRat1
02:14:01 Monday 08 January 2063 - Research for Practical Applications Clinic, Redmond

Tyler and Megan look at each other for an instant, just an instant, but in that instant John sees something...what, he isn't sure. It's like one of those surreal moments where everything you thought you knew, you suddenly have to reevaluate.

What exactly he needs to reevaluate he's not sure, but he sees something that definitely is worth examining...yeah...like his life...and his relationship with Nora...and maybe his relationship with Etta...and Rosa...definitely, yeah, definitely Rosa...

"Hey old man!" *snap*

"Bla!" is the approximate sound that John makes as he's startled out of his reverie in response to Megan's snapping of her fingers.

"Were you listening? We said it'd be best if Twiggy stays with you, and where he goes, we go."

"You sure you want to do this? You could be exposing yourself to a lot of danger." He knew it didn't need to be said, but he felt the obligation to do so anyway, and the looks they shot him could've pierced kevlar.

"Hey listen, danger is something we deal with everyday. So frag that, and frag those fraggers who want to make a living off of Nora and Twiggy and everyone like us. If they come, we'll handle ourselves. Count on it." Tyler's venomous outburst startled John for a moment with its intensity, and he decided for the time being, if they wanted to come, who was he to stop them?

"Yeah, we'll watch your back, cause you're still only one guy against however many, right? OK old man, now that that's settled, what are we doing next?" Megan asked.

WinterRat1
22:20:20 Monday 08 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift Room 7

Mr. Fan smiles and replies, "In answer to your first question, he is ready to meet with you now. He will answer your second question himself." Rising to his feet, he bows slightly to Max. "My job here is completed. You will conduct all business with the client personally. I wish you well in your discussions."

He exits the room, followed barely a minute later by the entrance of a middle aged Asian man. The man crosses the room briskly to the couch and occupies the very seat that Fan so recently vacated. "Thank you for coming Mr. Steiner. I'll cut right to the point. My name is Hideo Ashikawa. I would like to hire you for your expertise in paranormal animals and parazoology. Your background shows extensive knowledge in those disciplines, correct?"

From his tone, it's obvious he already knows the answer, so Max simply nods silently and lets him continue. "My team is working on a research project that will attempt to document the genetic factors that cause a deviation from, if you will excuse the layman's term, normal humans, into other...manifestations."

A clear distate is obvious with that last word. Before Max can dwell on it however, Hideo plunges along, "Without getting into a detailed technical discussion, you would be hired to give your input on the possibility of metahumans being mere parazoological animals with distinctly human traits as opposed to actual offshoots of true humanity. In exchange for a week of your time, we would be willing to pay for your all your expenses, as well as a consulting fee of 10,000 nuyen.gif. What do you think?"
Slipshade
22:22:43 Monday 08 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift Room 7

It takes every ounce of will for Max not to crush his wineglass with his clawed hand. He sets it down carefully on the table and looks into the Asian man’s eyes and surrounding aura.

“Let me make sure we understand each other Mr. Ashikawa. Are you asking me to help your research team prove that metahumanity is nothing more than a group of carefully disguised animals? “ The mere thought of it infuriated Max. “Or are you more interested in the genetic link that divides humans and metahumans, normal animals and paranormal animals. In all of my studies I have found nothing that links metahumanity to paranormal animals. Genetics have shone that the difference in Humans and Metahumans is a recessive trait triggered by the reawakening of magic in the world, it is the same with animals.”

‘Now for the real questions.’ Trying to remain calm and reasonable Max says.

“May I ask your basis for this research? And what you intend to do with your findings? You have to understand Mr. Ashikawa your research is of interest to me, as I have struggled to discover exactly what race someone such as myself has become. I do not fall into any species that I know of human or otherwise nor do I show signs of HMHVV, but my research is used to help myself and others such as myself come to grips with who we are. If this same information were to prove a genetic link that was both human and something other than human it could be used to label people such as myself sub-human and unworthy of the same rights as “normal” humans. So you can see why I ask the question. What are your intentions Mr. Ashikawa?

Max pays very close attention to Hideo’s replies, reading both his body language and aura.
Scrapheap
14:18:21 Monday 08 January 2063 - On the road in Redmond

Swerving to avoid a pothole as the van moved from the well-maintained industrial park back onto the Barren's typical crumbling streets, John replied, "Like I said, first we'll hit my doss, and then we'll visit my friend Finn. Unless he calls first, which I doubt."

"Great, but when do we eat?" Megan's question brought a chorus of agreement from the back of the van.

"Yeah! I'm hungry too."

"Me three!"

"Ha-ha! Hey, maybe we should just go by his girlfriend's doss and have her make up some eats?"

"Oi! Wizzer idea, Ty! Old ladies are always good cooks, right?"

"C'mon now, guys. Just because he's ancient don't mean she is too."

For his part, John concentrated on the road ahead, trying to decide if his seeming acceptance by the young gangers was a good thing or not. This is going to be a long, long night. Fraggin' kids...
bclements
08:31:17 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Lenny's Diner, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Tony takes the chip and pops it into his psec, scanning the files on his old friends. He has to work at keeping a neutral face, even though it feels like his heart has dropped down to his stomach as he reads Andie's current situtation. Christ, I never would have thought that she would have been caught. She always did like to play in the deep end of the pool. Not a fate that I would wish on anyone. he thought to himself.

Reading further on in Ricky's file, he was only slightly picked up emotionally by his situation. Heh, Ricky running arms to the Yucatan. Kinda makes what got him out of Denver a lot more ironic that it was before.

Saving the meat of the files for later, Tony looks up at Todd, all of a sudden very tired from lack of sleep and having his emotional rug pulled out from under him by Andie's plight. Taking a big slug of a coffee that a waitress had delivered while he was reading the flie, Tony said "Thanks kid. I can't say I'm happy with what's in here, but I've got no fault with the content. You do great work," ending with a smile that he really didn't feel inside.
Ecclesiastes
08:32:24 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Lenny's Diner, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

"No problem man..."

Todd's voice trails off, as if he is unsure if he should go where he had planned with the conversation.
bclements
08:33:47 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Lenny's Diner, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Tony looks across at the young man, then back down at the black liquid in his cup. "It's just...I never figured that she'd be in jail. It ain't exactly a fun place from what I've read for the Awakened; hooked up to a simsense rig slowly going crazy," he said, stairng down at his coffee cup, a brief but horrible mental image of Andie having a chipjack inplanted in her head passing thru Tony's mind.

Looking up, he looks for something succient to say about Andie, only able to come up with "We had a history together. And I was hoping to get back in touch with her, but right now I'm not thinking that I'll see her again." Planning a jailbreak across the country isn't going to help her at all right now and is only going to get you chunked in there and chipjacked. I'll get to it, though. Maybe. Right now, you're better off doin' than thinkin' about it. Tony thinks to himself as he takes another drink, trying to mentally get himself back on track.

"Sorry for my little trip down memory lane. You said that you need some more help for your project?"

Ecclesiastes
08:34:18 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Lenny's Diner, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Todd nods slowly, understanding. He actaully looks like he cares, which is rare for this age, but then, maybe its because he is so young and hasn't has enough time to become completely jaded. "Uh, yeah. I found the Lock. See, the cyberarm that we got, that was the Key, but at the time I didn't know what it was a key too. I managed to figure it out, but... I kinda need a guard again. I don't know if they'll be anything there like last time. Last time I at least got a warning to watch my back, but this time the data was silent. I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing though. Anyhow, the place I need to check out in an old business park. Think you can give me a ride and tag along in case things get ugly?"
bclements
08:35:00 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Lenny's Diner, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

"I'll do it. I don't have any gear on me, though. I'll need to run back to my apartment to get it. Where is this place at?" Tony said, getting a refill of coffee. I'm going to need a lot of this stuff to get thru today
Ecclesiastes
08:35:20 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Lenny's Diner, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

"10441 Pacific Court Way, its part of a small business park in the south end of Downtown. How do you want to handle this? I've got all my stuff with me, but if you want to do this later thats cool, or I could tag along with ya. Either way."

Maybe I could do something to help out this friend of his... Least I could do is hack into the Corcoran Women's Correctional Facility Host and check in on her.

"Oh... how much do I owe ya for today?"
bclements
08:35:50 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Lenny's Diner, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

"Nothing on this one, kid. That was great work getting those files, plus, I may need you to do something for me later on. ," Tony says, after thinking for a moment. I've got no clue on what it takes to remove a truck from whatever database it may be in, and having a friendly drek-hot decker around may not be a bad thing either.

Tony continues, after taking another sip of coffee. "As for the time, I do have something coming up around noon, but we may be able to get this done. I can reschedule it for later on if necessary, but time is on our side for right now at least. We can head out now, I'll drive to my apartment and get my equipment. Hopefully, no more dogs come jumping out after us, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared."
Ecclesiastes
08:35:50 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Lenny's Diner, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Todd couldn't hold back his smile, "Yeah? Right on man! Thanks!"
WinterRat1
22:23:57 Monday 08 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift Room 7

Seemingly unfazed by Max's tightly controlled anger, Mr. Ashikawa waves a hand, as if to dismiss Max's concerns. "Mr. Steiner, you yourself have just hit upon the key tenet of this project, which comes as no surprise of course. As you have just stated, all research to date indicates that the difference between humans and metahumans is a recessive trait triggered by the reawakening of magic in the world. As such, the question then becomes, can we find a way to choose to trigger or suppress that trait?"

He pauses, as if considering his words, and continues, "Perhaps my choice of words just now was misleading. I do not mean to imply that metahumans are the equivilent of animals. Rather, perhaps it would be more accurate to say that we could group humans and 'normal' animals into group A, a control group, and metahumans and paranormals into group B, the 'variable group' if you will. It has already been established that metahumans and paranormals are deviations from the control group due to a recessive trait triggered by magic, as you yourself just stated, correct?"

Max nods tersely, unwilling to concede much until he knows where this is going. Hideo's aura is calm, level. If he's lying, he's doing a damn good job of hiding it. At the least, it looks like at least he believes what he's saying.

"I said 'parazoological animals with distinctly human traits' as a way of saying that they cannot truly be considered 'variations' on humans, but rather should fall in their own separate category, much like we do not consider hell hounds to be dogs, no matter how many similarities they may have, correct?"

Again, a technical point, a subtle one perhaps, but no less accurate. And again, a calm, level aura. They knew what they were doing when they sent this guy to talk to me, at least, Max ponders. But why me? I'm a pretty unlikely candidate for all this.

"You asked me what the point of this research was. Simply put, we seek to provide people with choice. Through the wonders of technology, the blind can see, the deaf can hear, the mute can speak. Of course, we cannot help all the blind, deaf, and mute, but we at least have provided them with choices, with options, to better their quality of life."

Mr. Ashikawa leans forward, his aura showing hints of excitement and enthusiasm. "Let me ask you, Mr. Steiner, how many people would choose to experience UGE or Goblinization? How many of those who experienced it would give anything to erase that from their histories? Most people did not ask to be the race they are, but they had no choice in the matter. But what if we could allow them to choose? What if we could remove any questions as to the race of the child or even full-grown adults? Wouldn't that be something worth striving for?"

He takes a sip of his drink, clears his throat, and continues earnestly, "For example, take a low income, SINless person. Already the deck in life is stacked against them, correct?"

Max nods, having seen the life of the SINless up close and personal in the Respite. Even the thought of the soup kitchen brings a painful feeling that he should on the streets, trying to help Keira. He focuses his mind back on biz with difficulty, shoving those worries to the back of his mind.

"Well make that SINless person an ork or a troll, and how much harder, maybe even impossible, does it become for them to climb out of their circumstances?"

He shakes his head. "I do not condone prejudice. But even you must admit it exists. We cannot hope to educate people so that they will discard their prejudices, history has shown us this clearly. But if we can give people the option to remove the source of that prejudice...now is that not something worth striving for?"

Slipshade
22:30:48 Monday 08 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift Room 7

The scientist in Max wants to leap at the offer Hideo has put before him. This research so closely akin to his own could lead him to answers he has been chasing for over a year now, but the social and ethical ramifications of what Mr. Ashikawa proposes, could be as destructive as they are helpful.

“The question then becomes, do we dare open this Pandora’s Box? I do believe that people deserve to have a choice in what they become, but I worry that this potential discovery could be used in a program to eliminate metahumanity. Not by you Mr. Ashikawa, but by other more narrow minded individuals. Imagine if the Japanese government or California Free State were to issue a mandatory vaccination, for lack of a better word, of all people born with UGE or the latent Orc or Troll metahuman genes. These people would never be given the chance to be who they truly are or have a choice in what they become. Or if the means of controlling the genes were held only by those that could afford the treatment, creating a “pure” human elite ruling the metahuman masses. The knowledge itself is a tool, it is the ethics behind its use that are the question.”

Max needed to know more about the project, the company or people behind the project and exactly what his role would be in the project. With those thoughts in mind he asks his next questions.

“Before I can agree to be a part of this project, there are a few things I need to know. A you can tell I do have a great concern over who will be in control of any discoveries we make, so would you be able to disclose who is funding this research project and where and when this research will be taking place. I would also like to know what my exact role will be on the research team. Consultant is a rather ambiguous term Mr. Ashikawa. What will be my level of input and control and what access will I have to results?”

Max knew he was asking a lot, but he also knew that they needed an expert and he was one of the best in his field.
bclements
08:36:07 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Lenny's Diner, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

"Well, let's head out then." Tony says, gathering up his coat and leading Todd out of the diner to his Americar parked outside.

09:12:54 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Outside Capitol Hill Terrace, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS
It was a fairly quiet trip back to the Capitol Hill area of downtown. Most of the morning traffic had abated, but even with the few pockets of dense traffic I-5 the trip was quicker than Tony had hoped. The IceMelter trucks had done supurb work on the main thrufares, and the weatherpeople were even predicting a warming trend coming this weekend. Thank God Tony thought to himself as he pulled up to his apartement.

Getting out of the car, he said to Todd "I'll just be a few minutes. Wait out here and I'll be right back." Disappearing inside a door, he goes up to his apartment to change and grab his gear.
Scrapheap
14:45:39 Monday 08 January 2063 - Redmond Free-People's Housing Co-op

Sliding to a slushy halt, John parked the van next to the burnt-out hulk of an old Americar before turning to his passengers. "We're here. Everyone out."

After he'd ignored them for a while, the gangers had become bored with their razzing and had eventually fallen asleep on the ride through the Barrens. Groaning as he stretched, Twiggy said, "Where are we?"

"This," John waved his hand at the large building visible across the street, "is the Redmond Free-People's Housing Co-op. I live here."

"What the frag's a co-op?" Tyler mumbled as he opened the van's side door.

"It means that everyone chips-in to take care of the place, right old timer?" Megan slammed the passenger door and looked at the building, hands on hips.

"Yeah, that's right. C'mon." As the group hurried across the street, John stuck close to Twiggy and did his usual scan of the area. "It also means that I'm responsible for my guests, so be good. Not that I'm worried," he added quickly as Megan opened her mouth, "just needed to be said."

He pounded on the security door, then patted his pockets reflexively while waiting for the peep-hole to open. Still need to get some smokes. Have to swing by the Shak on the way to Finn's. Finally, with a loud squeal, the small window slid open to reveal a scowling pair of bloodshot eyes. "Hoi, Riot. What's shakin?"

"Hrm." The troll's gaze shifted to the young gangers. "Who're dey?"

Looking back, John said, "They're fine. They're with me. C'mon, chummer! It's fraggin' cold out here."

With a final, "Hrm." the gate squealed shut, and after a minute or two, the door swung open. As the small group filed past Riot, the troll glared them down before turning to shut the door once everyone was inside. Slowly replacing all the bars, he then turned towards the inner door. Bashing his huge fist against the door, he turned to look at the gangers and tapped the hand-lettered sign on the door that read: Welcome to the Redmond Free-People's Housing Co-op. Behave. "Live it," he rumbled as the interior security door swung open.

John nodded to Witt as he led the kids inside. The ork was talking to a young dwarf, his AK-98 leaning against the wall nearby. He gave a quick grin in reply. "Welcome back, John."

As he led the way towards the left side of the large communal area, Megan looked around and said, "What was that troll's deal? He think we look like trouble, or something? And what kind of name is "Riot" anyways?"

Looking down, John realized that the young elf was actually angry. What was it she said before? The reason that they liked Keira so much was she actually treated them like somebody? These kids are probably used to everyone thinkin' they're up to no good. Or ignoring them entirely. Sound familiar, chummer? Everyday life o' the SINless...

"Riot? He's just doin' his job, kid. Treats everyone the same way, so nul persp there. As to why they call him Riot, I heard it was because he's so fraggin' funny. As in, 'That guy's a riot!' No, Chip-truth!" Giving her a sideways glance, he added, "Course, I've never seen him do nothin' but scowl, and I bring out the best in everyone."

With a couple of snickers from the guys and a "Yeah, right!" from Megan, he led them into the Co-op's cafeteria. The large room contained several neat rows of the same sort of cheap, plastic picnic tables that were scattered about the common room. Off to one side was a small buffet set-up, complete with sneeze guard. There were only a few other residents eating at this hour, so they pretty much had the place to themselves. Going over to the stack of tray, John handed one to Twiggy and said, "It ain't the best grub you've ever had, but it's hot and there's plenty of it. Grab a tray and dig in. I'll be back in 20 or 30 minutes."

Megan grabbed his arm as he turned away. "Wait! Where you going, old man? Aren't you hungry?"

"I gotta run up to my doss, grab some stuff, maybe change these clothes. You'll be OK here. See that woman over there?" He pointed at a heavy human woman with a kindly face who had just walked through a swinging door. "That's Grace. She runs the kitchen. Just tell her if you need anything." He pulled free, but the look on her face made him add, "C'mon, I'll be right back. I'm just goin' upstairs." At her nod, he turned and went over to where Grace was talking to some other residents. After explaining the situation to her, he waved to the kids, then turned to make his way up to the apartment he shared with his sister and niece.
Ecclesiastes
09:13:06 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Outside Capitol Hill Terrace, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

"No problem."

Todd waits in the car, shifting around a bit, trying very hard not to be nosey and poke through the glove box. Finally his senses get the better of him and he distracts himself watching street traffic.
bclements
09:20:58 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Outside Capitol Hill Terrace, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Tony comes out of the apartment building carrying a duffel bag and dressed in a similar securetech outfit from Tuesday, after what is (for him) a very rapid change-and-grab session in his apartment. Damn scratch on my coat. I'm going to have to get a new one he thinks to himself as he opens the rear drivers side door of the car and puts the duffel bag in the floorboard. Opening it up and double checking, ...katana, knife, pistol, rifle, extra ammo...drek, forgot the hold out; just have to make do...smg, medkit, looks like most everything Tony thinks to himself, closing the bag and getting into the driver's seat.

"I've got everything and the kitchen sink. Let's get going" he says amiably, putting the address for the office park that Todd had specified. Pulling out of his parking spot, they head off toward South Downtown.
grendel
19:24:47 Wednesday 10 January - Schrodinger's Chess and Coffee Shop, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Jennifer nods.

"It's out in the trunk of my car. Do you think my father was working on this program before his death? Maybe as commission for someone?"

She curls her hands around the white plastic mug of coffee, trying to warm them from the chill outside.
grendel
10:05:11 Thursday 11 January 2063 - 10441 Pacific Court Way, Seattle, UCAS

The crosstown drive is an obstacle course of half-plowed streets and accidents pushed off to the side of the road. Tony and Todd take their time navigating through the snowy mess. The office park at Pacific Court Way is composed of five large L-shaped buildings, each four or five stories tall. The building of interest stands furthest to the right. A dozen vehicles are parked in the parking lot in front of the building.
The_Eyes
19:24:54 Wednesday 10 January - Schrodinger's Chess and Coffee Shop, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Eyes considers a moment. "Well it's certainly possible," he admits, "but it's just as likely he was working on it as a private project. There doesn't seem to be anything on the chip or where I found it that tells us much of what it's supposed to be for, and nothing at all about why it was made. Hopefully there'll be more details somewhere on his computer."

He paused a moment, taking a sip of coffee. For some reason the moment felt awkward to him, but he had no idea why. "So, shall we go?"
Ecclesiastes
10:05:15 Thursday 11 January 2063 - 10441 Pacific Court Way, Seattle, UCAS

Todd nods towards the building. "Thats the place."

He takes a deep breath, not realizing how long he'd been holding it in. Why am I so nervous? I've been through worse. Of course, I had an army of Red Samurai to back me up then...

Turning to face Tony, Todd asks, "How do you want to go about this?"
WinterRat1
22:31:47 Monday 08 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift Room 7

"All knowledge is but a tool, Mr. Steiner. It is how we use it that counts. Unfortunately, that is a truth as old as the quest for knowledge itself. I cannot disclose who is funding the project, nor where it is being held. The former is not for you to know, which is why we are working through...unofficial channels. The latter is something you will be told if you choose to accept the job. I can tell you that you will have full input into all procedures with equal status as the other members of your team, and will have full access to all results. As far as controls, we are seeking to hire a team of experts, and you will have full control over areas related to your expertise, particularly parazoology. You will as a matter of professional courtesy, be expected to defer to your team members in their areas of expertise. Are there any further questions you have?"
Slipshade
22:32:59 Monday 08 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift Room 7

"Yes, one more question Mr. Ashikawa. When would I be required to start?"
WinterRat1
22:33:06 Monday 08 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift Room 7

"As soon as possible. We would prefer that you head to the facility to meet the team first thing tomorrow morning, but we could stretch that to first thing on Wednesday, if the time rush is too much for you. With that said, may I welcome you to the team, or should I wish you gainful employment elsewhere?"
Slipshade
22:34:10 Monday 08 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift Room 7

"The offer intrigues me Mr. Ashikawa and I will accept the position on the team. I will join you first thing on Wednesday. There are a few things I need to take care of before I leave town."

Max extends his hand to shake Hideo's.

"Thank you for the opportunity Mr. Ashikawa, I look forward to the research."

'Great that only gives me a day to find Keira.'
SentineloftheMountain
0700 Wednesday, January 10, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

Andie gets up the next morning and prepares to create a new ward around the workshop area for the next hour before something else happens.

He checks on the circulation to make sure it's still brewing and then starts gathering magical energy for the new ward....
grendel
19:25:21 Wednesday 10 January - Schrodinger's Chess and Coffee Shop, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Jennifer nods, taking a last sip from her coffee before rewinding her scarf about her neck and picking up her gloves. Leading Eyes out into the parking lot, she glances around before opening up the trunk of her car.

"I guess you'll just call if you find out anything new?"
WinterRat1
22:34:35 Monday 08 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift Room 7

After shaking Max's hand Mr. Ashikawa pulls out a card with a phone number on it and hands it to Max. “Call this number at 07:00:00 on Wednesday morning and you will be given further instructions as where to go and when to be there. You should not incur any expenses is the process of travel as we will arrange for your transportation when you call. We look forward to having you with us.”

With that, he excuses himself, leaving Max alone in the room, card still in hand.
bclements
10:06:01 Thursday 11 January 2063 - 10441 Pacific Court Way, Seattle, UCAS

"Not sure yet," Tony says, half to himself while scanning the parking lot. This isn't going to be pretty. At least a dozen people, probably more in there. Security...maybe. Probably's more like it..

"Ok, let's take stock of the situation here. You know anything about this place, like what's going on in there? I remember you mentioning at the graveyard something about coordinates. Are you sure they point into the building, or at something around the outside?" Tony says in the quiet of the car, still looking around at the office park.
The_Eyes
19:25:07 Wednesday 10 January - Outside Schrodinger's, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Eyes nods in reply. "Of course. I will let you know the moment I learn anything useful," he promised. Lifting the case from the back of the trunk, Eyes took great pains to not show his trouble handling the (to him) heavy case. Grimly he decided he'd have to get around to joining a gym or something; he felt pathetic that such a trivial weight should give him so much trouble.

"It might take awhile to finish with this thing," he added, "but at the very least I'll get in touch with you by the end of the week, if only to keep you updated on my progress. So... right. I'll talk to you later then." He sighed inwardly at his last statement. Brilliant. Smooth Save James, that's you.
grendel
19:27:22 Wednesday 10 January - Outside Schrodinger's, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Closing the trunk, Jennnifer nods. She shivers in the chill wind, her face cold and drawn for a moment. An awkward second stretches before she reaches out and hugs Eyes tightly. He blinks in surprise, his arms full of computer and uncertain as to just how to respond. Jennifer draws back, a strange mix of gratitude and embarrassment on her face.

"Thanks."

With a last glance, she climbs behind the wheel of her car and pulls out of the parking lot.
The_Eyes
19:27:41 Wednesday 10 January - Outside Schrodinger's, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Eyes walked back to his own ride, a wondering smile on his face. Not that it really matters what she meant with that, a mocking thought whispered through the grin, You're too good to 'take advantage' of the girl, and you probably wouldn't know what to do with her anyway. Besides, knowing your luck she no doubt meant that hug platonically. The grin turning into a bemused chuckle, Eyes dismissed the thought and got to the more relevant one of getting a heavy computer case home on a motorcycle.
Slipshade
22:36:12 Monday 08 January 2063 - Paradigm Shift Room 7

Max reaches into the pocket of his folded Mortimer of London greatcoat and retrieves his pocket secretary. He stares at the card Mr. Ashikawa handed him, watching the man’s aura quickly fading from it, when it has faded to almost imperceptible he scans in the card to the P-Sec’s memory. He then places the card into the inner pocket of the greatcoat and puts the coat on. He then has the Pocket Secretary dial the number John Standard gave him earlier that day. A few seconds pass before John picks up at the other end.

“It’s Max. I have finished my prior engagement this evening and am ready to help find Keira and Nora. Meet me at 6 Bellevue Way, One Lincoln Tower in Bellevue. I will inform the night guard of your impending arrival. Take the elevator to the 41st Floor and I meet you there.”

Max answers any questions John has and then hangs up.

‘I hope the snow is letting up a bit.’ He thinks to himself before departing.
bclements
10:05:44 Thursday 11 January 2063 - 10441 Pacific Court Way, Seattle, UCAS

Tony's view of the parking lot didn't improve his outlook. The cars seemed to be recent arrivals, and a decent amount of security cameras covered the entrances. Although his first instinct was to go in, guns blazing, he dismissed that out of hand. No, only fools and the desparate charge into the unknown. Warriors get all the information they can before their adversary even gets in their sights he thought to himself, remembering one of Sung's lessons.

"If that's our target, I don't think that we can get your lock right now without attracting way too much attention. I've got a couple of ideas, but we need to know what's in that building." he said to Todd, without waiting for an answer to his question.
Scrapheap
15:18:44 Monday 08 January 2063 - Apartment 342, Redmond Free-People's Housing Co-op

John rinsed the disposable razor before setting it back onto the shelf and closing the medicine cabinet door. He then pulled the plug and watched as 4 days worth of beard drained out of the sink, before rinsing it as well. Man that shower felt good! You almost look respectable again, chummer. Almost.

He used a threadbare towel to wipe his face, before wrapping it around his middle. Squatting down to gather his clothing, he then turned and walked out of the bathroom, through the hallway and into the living room. He opened the door to the small closet where he kept his things and tossed in his dirty clothes. As he stood looking through his meager collection of clothes, street tatoos and scars visible across his bare torso, he realized that his sister had done his laundry. Reaching up, he grabbed his one set of armored clothes. Man, am I glad Etta cleaned these! Hopefully I won't need them, but if I have to go back to the Clinic I'll probably have to go inside. They'll come in handy in that case.

John quickly dressed, replaced his holster-rig, and then walked over to drag the old couch aside. Glancing around, though he knew no one was there, he knelt down and pried up the first floorboard with his cyberspur. Grabbing the canvas satchel off of the pile of weapons, he held it open with one hand and used the other to transfer all of his "safe's" contents. First came the battered Ingram SMG, then extra clips for both the Ingram and the Manhunters under each arm. Each clip was marked with a small band of colored tape: red for regular ammo and blue for gel rounds. Finally, he placed several grenades into a side pocket.

After replacing the floorboards and moving the couch back into place, he shrugged into his grey SecureTech jacket. With the plain jacket and dull work clothes, someone seeing him for the first time might mistake him for a delivery guy, or some sort of heating and cooling tech, at least until they saw the obvious cyber.

Walking across the spartan living room, he bent to grab a small pile of Nora's things off of a chair and added them to the satchel before snapping it closed. He then took his hat from where it hung near the door and with one final glance around, exited the apartment, locking the door behind him. As he walked down the hallway, he pulled his phone from his pocket and checked to see if he'd missed any calls. Nothin.' Guess I have to go to Finn's in person. Better get down there and round those kids up. Get on the road. I hope they haven't gotten into any fraggin' trouble.
Sedna
0701 Wednesday, January 10, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

Andie's familiar with the place, after all these years. His footsteps make almost no sound as he quickly checks the circulation. Still, it's enough to evoke an anticipatory bark, and then he abruptly finds himself sitting again on his small cot, with a rather large dog's feet planted on his shoulders and a happily wagging tail endangering the beakers.

"Move," he gasps, shoving the dog's nose out of his face, and then (as it's trying eagerly to climb into his lap), "Will you move! You're getting in the way!"

A snap of fingers, accompanied by "Dusha!" from the next room: Andie blearily recognises Sam's voice. The dog reluctantly withdraws from its eager quest for the lap and drops to an obedient sitting position half in and half out of the divider curtain, waiting. Sure enough, after a moment Sam appears at the curtain, holding out a leash. "Should have realised you were awake," he says with a tired smile. "His ears suddenly perked up, and then he bolted here before I could catch him. He's been waiting at least an hour for you."

"For me?" asks Andie, not sure what else to say to this.

"Yes, I have to stay inside. With him," Sam elaborated, when the meaning didn't quite register at once; and even then it takes a couple of minutes before it connects that this "him" means the other newcomer, presumably still deeply between sleep and unconsciousness. "That means you're the one taking him for walks. Be careful, he's got the lines of a greyhound, and you know what that means. Don't worry, I'll watch your circulation while you're gone."
SentineloftheMountain
0702 Wednesday, January 10, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

Andie listens to Sam's comments and wonders with a glare at Sam. How did I get promoted to dogwalker? "I don't recall that being in my job description. Where is Solomon and why doesn't get to do this noble task?" Andie says with sarcasm.
Scrapheap
15:33:19 Monday 08 January 2063 - Cafeteria, Redmond Free-People's Housing Co-op

John winced as Grace gave him the total for the ganger's meal. Looking over his shoulder to where the three were still eating, he sighed and reached into the inner pocket of his jacket to remove a crumpled envelope. Opening it revealed a stack of paper nuyen. Frag, looks like I'm gonna have to dip into the rent money. I figured it'd come to this before I got Nora home, but I didn't know it would be over lunch. How much can three fraggin' kids eat anyway?

He thumbed out a few bills, silently thankful that while it wasn't free the food at the Co-op cafeteria was cheap. The food bill for three teens could have been a lot worse. "Here you go, Grace. There's a couple nuyen in there for me too. I'm gonna grab somethin' on the way out." Sticking the envelope back into his jacket, he headed over and grabbed himself a quick lunch before making his way over to the kid's table.

"A'ight, gang. Let's finish up."

Around a mouthful of food, Megan said, "Took you long enough, chummer. We thought maybe you'd fallen in or something. We was about ready to send Twiggy here up to look for ya."

"Yeah," Twiggy chirped, "We thought ya'd fallen in the john, John!"

Here we go again...
grendel
21:16:09 Wednesday 10 January - Unit 303, Winlock Apartment Complex, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Eyes stared out the window of his apartment, drumming his fingers thoughtfully on the keyboard. The Enova server sat in the middle of his apartment, most of the usual clutter pushed off to the side. He'd enlisted Jane's help in scouring the files of the machine, finding them meticulously sorted and indexed, victim's of Casimir's trademark neatness. As he originally suspected, nothing incriminating, or even terribly interesting, was stored on the server. Except a single entry in a backup file for the office suite's address book. Tucked away in an innocuous system folder, its revision date indicates that the file hasn't been touched in at least six months. The entry is for a company called Epoch LLC, and its address is listed as 10441 Pacific Court Way Suite 107.

"Sweet! Why didn't you tell me you had an Enova?" Ran closed the door behind her, eyes glittering with excitement.

"You could knock, you know." Eyes grumbled, glaring to cover his nervous jump at the sound of her voice.

"Whatever." Ran peered at the assembled server blades, her hands caressing the smooth plastic casing as if she were stroking a cat. "What's it running?"
Bastard
1150.00 Thursday 11 January 2063- Cooper's Automotive, Downtown Seatle, UCAS

Sitting in the office, Marquis logs onto the matrix, which was finally reinstalled by SBC after a week's absence. It's been so long he almost forgets where he wants to go, but luckily he had bookmarked some of his favorite grids. Like Ares, where he can check out some of the new upcomming models for the next season. That should consume some time until Tony arrives.
Ecclesiastes
10:06:34 Thursday 11 January 2063 - 10441 Pacific Court Way, Seattle, UCAS

Todd sits quietly thinking for a moment, then turns to Tony, "Yeah, I'm not the 'charge in blind' type of guy. Let get out of here and I'll see what data I can dig up on these six companies. Maybe one of them will lead me in the right direction. Heck, if nothing else, I can try to tap into their video network and see if I can get a peek inside the building. What ideas did you have?"
bclements
10:07:02 Thursday 11 January 2063 - 10441 Pacific Court Way, Seattle, UCAS

"Well, right now I've got 2 basic plans. First one is we wait till after closing time, and break in. Second one is trying to scam us in. Both of them have their good and bad points. If you think of anything else, don't hesitate to bring it up. Either way, we have to know a lot more about that place." Tony says, starting up the car.

"You want me to take you back to your apartment?"
Ecclesiastes
10:07:26 Thursday 11 January 2063 - 10441 Pacific Court Way, Seattle, UCAS

Todd nods, "That'll work. I'll do some digging around and lets go in tonight. I'm good with either plan. Getting past security systems isn't too tough and neither is bluffing past secritaries. Lets see what I find and take it from there, at least now I have a better idea of what to look for."
Scrapheap
16:39:11 Monday 08 January 2063 - Parking Lot, Loveland Quinn's Bar, Puyallup

Shutting the van's door, John waited for his three companions to exit before locking up. As they clambered out, he briefly considered heading around back to the private entrance to Finn's apartment. He decided against it for the simple fact that if his friend was jacked-in there was no way that he'd hear the knock. Finally, once the kids were all out and standing next to him, he locked the van and led them around to the front entrance.

"What's the deal with this place?" Tyler asked while rubbing his upper arm. The gangers had amused themselves on the ride over with some game that involved punching each other every time someone spotted a Westwind. Surprisingly, Twiggy seemed to have won. At least he seemed to have taken the least amount of punishment.

"Bar called Loveland Quinn's. Owned by a friend of mine."

"Lemme guess," Megan said. "Quinn?"

Giving her a crooked smile, John replied, "Nope." Opening the door, he made a little half-bow and motioned them inside. "After you."

As they passed, Megan whispered theatrically to Twiggy, "He's so weird." With a little shake of his head, John gave one final look around and then let the door shut behind them.
Scrapheap
16:52:07 Monday 08 January 2063 - Finn's apartment, Loveland Quinn's Bar, Puyallup

John led the way up the stairs to Finn's doss. Following close behind came the three gangers, each carrying a sugary, carbonated beverage of their choice. John had purchased them at the bar downstairs, ignoring Twiggy's request for a "brewski," at the same time he'd purchased a pack of smokes. The place had been pretty full, and he hadn't liked some of the looks the off-duty soldiers from nearby Fort Lewis had directed at Megan. Or at Twiggy, for that matter...

Opening the door to the apartment, he discovered the place unusually dark and quiet. Aside from the muffled sound of the bar below, he couldn't hear anything. If Finn was jacked-in, then it was no big deal. If he wasn't, well, who knew? Probably just being paranoid. But better safe than fraggin' sorry. With the way things have been goin' lately, best to be careful.

"What's the hold-up?" Megan's voice carried up the stairs.

"SHH!" Quickly pulling the door almost closed, the old runner turned to look at the three kids. "Listen, it's probably nothing, but I got a funny feeling. Seems kinda quiet in there, you know?" Pulling a Manhunter, he added, "I'm gonna go check things out. You guys wait here. You hear anything, run down and tell the bouncer."

Tyler was taking him seriously, at least. He pulled his knife and said, "You got it."

With a quick nod, John turned and slowly opened the door. Hitting his reflex trigger, he ducked inside. Silently clearing each room, he slowly and carefully made his way to Finn's office. Frag it, he better just be jacked in...
bclements
10:07:55 Thursday 11 January 2063 - 10441 Pacific Court Way, Seattle, UCAS

"It's not the secretaries I'm worried about," Tony says, putting the car into gear and gently pulling the car out of the parking lot, "it's the guys with guns waiting on them when the PanicButton get's pushed." Making his way out onto Pacific Way, he sets the Autonav for the spot he dropped Todd off at last.

10:58:18 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Corner of 5th and Elm, Tacoma , Seattle, UCAS

Stopping the intersection directly across from the same Stuffer Shack he'd been at 2 days before, Tony has a bit of deja vu. This time, it's not going to be just a dog. he thinks to himself as he puts the car into park.

"Here you go, kid. Be sure you get some floorplans of that building. Once we get in, we want to know about where to go. We may not have much time to look around," he says, unlocking the door of the Americar.
Sedna
0703 Wednesday, January 10, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

"I don't know where he is," says Sam, trying to curb an armful of increasingly anxious dog before something unfortunate resulted. "Is he usually here this early? But someone's got to take Dusha out soon, and I -- well -- can't. Listen: you're Sara's apprentice, right? Doesn't that mean you sometimes take on whatever needs doing around here?"
The_Eyes
21:17:34 Wednesday 10 January - Unit 303, Winlock Apartment Complex, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Eyes tapped a nearby display. "Custom job," he replied. Of course it would be; a programmer of Cassimir's reputation and skill would never use one of the off-the-shelf systems on something like this. "It borrows a bit from Raku's Genesis series. Want to take a lo-" He breaks off as he glances around and notices Ran slumped into a nearby chair, a cord running from her brain into the innards of the machine. "Right," he said to noone in particular, as he activated his own RAS override and dove after her.

He found her already inside, appraising the innards of the host with a critical eye. "How... boring," she concluded, contemplating the utilitarian feel of the room. "It's just a regular office? I mean, I guess it's pretty detailed and all," she ran a hand over the oak desk she was standing next to, admiring the look, feel, and even smell of the freshly polished oak that made up the unit, "but what's the point of making an office in the 'trix? You can make anything you want; it's almost disappointing really."

Eyes idly ran a finger over the leaves of a potted plant, noting the attention that went into even the veins spiderwebbing through the leaf's underside. "I think this is just his workspace," he replied. "It's the Control system; my guess is you don't usually come here unless you're doing work."

He held a door open for Ran. She stepped through, and smirked. "Okay, *this* is pretty wiz. Guy was a bit of a neat freak, wasn't he?"

Standing before her was a filing cabinet. Ten feet to the right of that was another filing cabinet. Ten feet to the left was another filing cabinet. Ten feet up was another filing cabinet. Ten feet down was another filing cabinet. And so on and so forth, forming a grid streching in three dimensions as far as the eye could see.

Eyes chuckled. "Yes, he was. There's a few other rooms around here, all seperated by that same door motif. There was a giant chessboard in one of them. I played a couple games, and I don't think I've yet seen the same killing strike twice."

Inwardly, he pondered the address he found. It could be a pretty good clue, but no matter what he was not about to go prancing into some company's office without doing some thorough research first, probably starting with their own Matrix host. In fact, that seemed a better way to get info on Casimir than actually going to their offices anyway; what was he going to do, walk in the front door and start asking when was the last time anyone had seen the guy who turned up dead a few days ago?

Besides, he had been working for two days without much of a break, and it was begining to show. All work and no play make the Eyes dull and witless. "So, what do you want to do?"
grendel
21:18:02 Wednesday 10 January - Unit 303, Winlock Apartment Complex, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

"Eh? Whatever. We should run a T1 line to your place and sell server time." Ran answered Eyes' question in an off-hand manner. She'd pulled all of the files from the nearest file cabinet, the digital text memos arranged to form a distributed image of her face. As he watched, she respun it to look like the MCT Towers downtown. And again to look like some kind of winged lion-like creature.

"Where'd you get it, anyway?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012