Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
The_Eyes
21:18:27 Wednesday 10 January - Unit 303, Winlock Apartment Complex, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Eyes chuckled. "Yeah, I can just imagine a Matrix backbone sprouting out my third-floor window. Can't anyway; the server's not mine. I'm just borrowing it to do some research, so don't break anything."

Turning around, Eyes idly fiddled with the door. It was easy to say that he needed to relax and find something to do, but when he thought about it the only things popping into his head to do were all work-related. He found his mind drifting back to that unfinished utility he started working on earlier, this little muurder mystery, the absurd amount of trouble he had lugging that far-heavier-than-it-really-was server case up two flights of stairs, the coin and OCC still in his pocket. He rolled his eyes; Guess I am becoming dull after all.
grendel
21:18:55 Wednesday 10 January - Unit 303, Winlock Apartment Complex, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Ran let the files flutter to the ground with a careless gesture.

"Eh, you'd be surprised what we can arrange. Anyway, I can't stay long, we're on our way down to the Skate Narrows. Psychonix is playing Bluefish tomorrow night, wanna go?"
SentineloftheMountain
0703 Wednesday, January 10, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop
Andie shakes his head and grabs his coat and Dusha's leash. "If anything happens to the circulation while I'm gone, Sam, I will hold you responsible. You do have skill in enchanting work in case something goes wrong, don't you?"

Andie walks over to Dusha and put the dog on a leash. "I'll be back shortly", and heads out the store door with the dog.
Sedna
0704 Wednesday, January 10, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

Sam looks abashed, but not like he's going to back down on this. It's more like, he's re-assessing Andie as someone who isn't really part of this team and shouldn't be asked to do these kinds of things, but at the same time there really isn't anyone else who can do them. At least as he's heading out the door with the dog, Andie remembers that the newcomer had identified the purpose of the circulation correctly. Hopefully that means that he knows at least something about these kinds of enchantments. And -- wait, he'd assensed astrally as mundane, but then he'd physically tested Andie's wards? as though he'd gone dual-natured? That had to mean Sam was to some extent Awakened, and probably capable of astrally perceiving.

Andie's feeling marginally better about the whole thing -- doesn't mean he's through being annoyed about it though! -- when a cat streaks across their path a few blocks away from the store.
The_Eyes
21:19:02 Wednesday 10 January - Unit 303, Winlock Apartment Complex, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Eyes shrugged. "Maybe. I might have something to do for this job, though, so no promises." He wasn't a really big fan of most of the bands Ran was into, but, other than the music, concerts were a great place to hang out. Oh don't kid yourself; you're hoping to run into Reign again. Eyes chuckled to himself absently.

Far away a stomach growled, reminding Eyes that he hasn't had anything more substantial than coffee in seven hours. "I'm gonna get something to eat," he told Ran, calling up a Logoff command with a casual flick of his wrist. "Want anything?"
grendel
21:19:14 Wednesday 10 January - Unit 303, Winlock Apartment Complex, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

"Nah, I gotta roll. Gimme a call about the concert, though." Ran dropped from the system in a blaze of multicolored pixels. She threw a wave to Eyes as she headed out the door. Once again, silence descended over the apartment, broken only by the sixty cycle hum of the Enova's power supply.
WinterRat1
16:54:27 Monday 08 January 2063 - Finn's apartment, Loveland Quinn's Bar, Puyallup

“Getting a little paranoid in your old age, aren’t you John ?”

With a sigh of relief, John holstered the Manhunter. “Hey Finn , can’t be too careful, especially these days, you know?”

“I read you chummer. Thanks for the concern, but the cameras in the stairs alerted me way before you got up here.”

The sudden crash of the door caused them both to whirl, weapons half drawn. They ended up staring down a trio of sheepish gangers, who had busted into the room. “Uh, hey John ,” Twiggy stuttered.”

“We heard voices, and we weren’t sure if you needed some backup,” Megan continued.

“So we thought we better come up here and back you up, you know? Just in case,” Tyler finished.

With a bemused grin, Finn looked up at John from his seat. “Running with kids these days? Trying to recapture your lost youth or something like that?”

“Hardy har har.” John’s scowl showed he was actually rather amused, in an odd sort of way, although he most definitely was not going to show it to anyone.

“Heh.” Finn on the other hand, had no compunctions against displaying his amusement, and grinned broadly. “Well I’m sure you kids all have fun stuff to do that doesn’t involve sitting in a dark room with an old man and a bunch of computer screens. So why don’t you tell me what you’re here for so you can hurry and get out in the fresh air and play.”

This was all entirely and obviously directed at John , causing the kids to get yet another laugh at his expense.

“Well sonny, I’m waiting. Why don’t you tell Santa what you want for Christmas so he can get his elves to go work on it?” More grinning, as Finn rubbed it in for all he was worth, clearly enjoying the kids’ reactions and playing to his audience as he waited for John to reply.
Scrapheap
16:56:12 Monday 08 January 2063 - Finn's apartment, Loveland Quinn's Bar, Puyallup

Looking back and forth between the grinning gangers and a openly laughing Finn, the old runner couldn't decide if he was amused or irritated, though it was most likely a bit of both. What the frag is it about me that everyone has decided to treat me like a fraggin' joke? Don't people know that they're 'sposed to be careful around the hair-trigger street sam? I mean, people used to be careful; showed respect. Am I that old-tech? That out of touch?

As he watched Twiggy mimic holding a gun and pretend to knock down a door, to the delight of the others, John realized that it didn't really matter. You're among friends, chummer. These people should trust you, not fraggin' fear you. If they're comfortable enough to treat you like this, it should be a good thing, right?

Turning back to Finn's wide smile, John grinned and said, "A'ight, chummer. Just don't expect me to sit on your lap and make you milk and cookies."

Losing the grin, he went on, "I stopped by cause I hadn't heard anything. I called about three, three and a half hours ago, asked you to look into a place called The Research for Practical Applications Clinic in Redmond. That's the place where Nora and Twiggy here," he waved in the kid's general as the young elf smiled and raised his hand, "saw something that they shouldn't have seen. That's what got Nora nabbed."

Pulling out his newly purchased pack of smokes (some cheap Chinese brand), John started to unwrap it as he continued. "At first, we thought that she might be in there, but I had Rosa look around astrally and she said that the place looked legit. No sign of Nora. I called hoping that you could check out their system, see if that led anywhere. Maybe you could find out where they might have taken her? If not, I may have to go back, get inside to check the place out. In which case, anything you could find out about the building itself would help."

He lit a cigarette and waited for Finn's reply.
SentineloftheMountain
0705 Wednesday, January 10, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

After grabbing his coat and attaching Dusha to the lease Andie opens the front door to store and he and the dog venture out into the cold January day; both looking for relief from their lives.

They walk down the block among the snow drifts; taking note of the condition of the neighborhood and their surroundings.

Sedna

It's too familiar a neighbourhood for Andie really to see it. He knows it too well, and the newness of the snow and especially the cold drowns out any other possible newness.

He'd seen the cat without seeing it, there were always cats in this area.

Nothing had prepared him for Dusha's sudden lunge -- stiffening leash tangled around his freezing fingers -- and in that instant Andie discovers that the dog is a good deal stronger than he is.

The cat yelps, and runs.
WinterRat1
16:57:41 Monday 08 January 2063 - Finn's apartment, Loveland Quinn's Bar, Puyallup

"Way ahead of you chummer. Probably missed your call cause I was jacked in, and forgot to call you back. You know me when I get rolling."

"Yeah, you are kind of obsessive, aren't you?"

"Hey don't knock it chummer," Finn wagged his finger at John with a smirk. "I've been busy since you called." His fingers flying over some keys, several of his monitors changed and rapidly flashed through data. Although John couldn't keep up with it all, he saw blueprints, profiles, financial data, the whole nine yards appearing on the various monitors in front of the decker.

"Holy drek Finn, what the hell did you do, gut their system?" John grabbed the side of the table in shock. "I wanted you to look around, not put yourself at risk like that!"

The decker waved a hand dismissively. "Relax chummer, it was like stealing candy from a baby. The good news is I got everything on their public system, it's a fragging open book to you. Got blueprints, employment records, tax returns, the works. Of course the bad news is that it was so easy because there really isn't much worth seeing in their public forums."

"So why'd you take it then?" Megan chimed in from where her and the gangers were clustered looking over Finn's shoulder.

"Ah, good question young lady, and I did it because first, you never know what gems you can find in the most innocent looking places. For example, according to their statement of purpose on their 990, they are a 501©(3), which also tells us that..."

"Uh, what's a 990?" Twiggy asked hesitantly.

"Yeah, and what the frag is a 501©(3)?" Tyler chimed in.

"Come on kids, quit interrupting the man, I'm trying to learn something here!" John said gruffly, while thinking, I'm glad they asked and not me, at least this way I don't reveal my ignorance...

"Ahem. A 990 is the tax return for a non-profit entity, and a 501©(3) indicates that it operates for the public interest. In this particular case, the Center in question operates ostensibly for the public interest in its research findings which tells us that if they are doing anything illegal, it must be on a private isolated system."

"How the heck do you know that?" Megan asked.

Sighing, Finn looked at John. "I'll leave that to him to explain children. This old man's doing enough talking."

What the frag?!?! Me??? I thought the 990 was a shotgun for crying out loud! Why do I have to explain this drek!?

The gangers looked up at John. "Well?" Twiggy asked expectantly.
bclements
10:59:15 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Corner of 5th and Elm, Tacoma , Seattle, UCAS

After leaving Todd at the intersection, with the promise to call him back later on on the afternoon, Tony heads off to Sea-Tac for the truck. Man, this is cutting it close. Putting the car into drive, he gently eases out of the parking spot and past the snow covered curb out onto the street.

11:34:15 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac Airport, Long Term Parking Garage, Seattle, UCAS

"MOVE YOUR FRAGGING CAR!" Tony yells out of the window while laying on the horn. The trip out to Sea-Tac had been unmemorable (except for the mountains of snow on the side of the road, intersperced here and there with the form of an abandoned car), but getting out of the parking garage seemed to be counfounding all of his efforts. Manuvering an unfamiliar truck around a large parking garage with cars popping out randomly in your path made Tony increasingly irritable.

This, along with a lack of sleep from the previous night and its accompaning need of good, strong coffee, compounded by his repressed need for reaction of Andie's perdictament, finally put Tony at his mental screaming point. When a driver took too long to pay the automated parking booth, he reacted.

Wait a second, is killing this stalling fragger a good idea? Tony thought to himself as he reached inside his coat to pull out the pistol in the holster he'd packed when he left the bag in the car. You can't do that out here. This grandma is probably just going home. Shooting her isn't like pulling the trigger on Tomarez. Realizing what he was doing, Tony released his grip on the gun and removed his hand from his jacket. Still needing some release, he laid on the horn and yelled out his window.

Finally pulling away from the attendant, the lady in front of him extended her hand out of her window, giving a single fingered salute to what she thought was the jerkoff in the truck behind her. Seeing the picture in front of him, Tony started laughing, the tension releasing from his system.

Still chuckling as he payed his fee, he pulled out the business card that Marq had given him yesterday. Setting the autonav for the address, he pulled out from the attendant booth.

12:09:55 Thursday 11 January 2063- Cooper's Automotive, Downtown Seatle, UCAS

I hate being late Tony thinks to himself as he pulls up to the building. Walking to the entrance, he opened the door.

Scrapheap
17:00:03 Monday 08 January 2063 - Finn's apartment, Loveland Quinn's Bar, Puyallup

"Uh, well," John begins brilliantly, "Basically what Finn's saying is that this place is trying really fraggin' hard to appear legit. They file their taxes in this way, register as a non-profit, and leave all their data easily accessible so no one looks too close. Finn was able to grab all of this stuff 'cause they want to look like they got nothing to hide, right? So..."

"So that's why they'd put all the bad stuff on a, uh, isolated system right? So no one can get to it?" Megan looked at the older men expectantly.

"Right. Unfortunately, that leaves us right back where we fraggin' started." John began to pace, carefully avoiding the cables snaking across Finn's floor. "If we go back to the Clinic and I go inside, there's no way I'll be able to get anything off a secure system with my skills. So, either I steal the entire system, providing I can even find it, or we wait until Max calls and we go the magic route."

"Or we go into the Clinic and bring someone along who knows this computer drek." Tyler added, casting a meaningful look Finn's way.

Before Finn could even open his mouth, John whirled around and snapped, "No! No fraggin' way am I draggin' my friends into this any more than they already are. It's too much already."

"But you got no problem draggin' us along, right chummer?" Megan shot back, arms folded defiantly across her chest.

Looking over to where Finn sat with a smug grin plastered across his face, the old runner took a drag off his cigarette before replying. "C'mon. That's different and you fraggin' know it. You guys were already involved, like it or not."

"Well, if not him," Twiggy motioned towards Finn, "then maybe someone else? You know any other computer-types?"

"Maybe." John paused, lost in thought, before turning quickly to his friend. "What about the Brain Eaters, Finn? Think they could pull something like this off? If not them, maybe you know someone?"
Ecclesiastes
11:02:48 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Apartment 875, Parkewood Village Apartments, Tacoma

Todd stepped into his apartment and closed the door behind him. His pulse quickened a bit, as it always did before a good matrix run. The building's main host shouldn't be too tough, but who knew what he was going to get himself into once he started to dig deeper. Doing his best to shake off the nervousness, he jumped into his LayZMan, reclined it back and jacked in.

The Seattle host spread out before him. Raising a hand, he brought up a search directory and located the address for the 10441 Pacific Court Way Host. Zeroing in on the host, the matrix blurred around him. He found himself at a typical UMS host, nothing flashy, which he didn't expect anyways. Looking the door up and down, he did a quick scan of the host, trying to get a feel of what he was going up against. Green-8 ?/?/?/10/?. Not too bad, at least I don't have to worry about anything Black. He opened the door and stepped inside.

First things first... He stepped into the lobby and spotted a map on the wall, just what he was looking for. Stepping up to it and scanning it in greater detail, however, revealed that it only showed main hallways and fire exits. He needed more. It was then that he noticed the frame of the map had a hinge on one side. Flipping the map over, he got what he was looking for, details of the whole building, including interior offices and all. He reached up and pulled a copy off the wall, rolled it up and shoved it into his backpack.

He got that funny feeling he was being watched and spun on his heals to face a small floating eye watching him. A quick scan of it made it clear that it was a simple Trace IC. Shoo fly, don't bother me... He kicked his skateboard up and caught it in mid air, then smacked the eye with it. It bounced off the wall and fell to the ground, turning grey. A moment later, it too was added to the contents of his backpack, surpressing it.

With the map downloaded, he still wanted to get a few pictures of what the building looked like on the inside. Maps only have so much information, pictures told you what was really there. Glancing around the lobby, Todd spotted the door labeled 'Security - Employees Only'. Nice of them to label it so clearly for me.

Stepping into the room and closing the door behind him, Todd glanced around at all the security monitors spread around the room. Dang... thats a lot of cameras. Oh well, may as well get a clip from each of em. The young otaku moved over to the virtual console and connected a dataline to his backpack. His fingers flashed over the virtual keyboard, sending screen shots from each camera into his storage memory. Just as he was finishing up with the first floor, he heard a noise over his shoulder and looked to see a security camera that had popped out of the ceiling. A quick scan told him it was a simple Probe. Not wanting to deal with suppressing crashed IC, Todd quickly whipped out a can of spray paint and blasted the lens. That'll keep it busy for a while.

He went back to work downloading an image from all the building's cameras, taking a pause after downloading from each floor to put a fresh layer of paint over the lens of the Probe, just to make sure it didn't bug him. As he started to scan through the fourth floor, the door opened up behind him. He turned around just in time to see the man-in-black pull out a pistol and get ready to open fire. Luckily, Todd was faster. He kicked his skateboard away from him and sent it flying at the icon. The board caught the man-in-black directly in the shins and send it sprawling. He whipped his backpack off and bashed the icon over the head with it. As the code shattered, he grabbed at the pieces and threw them into his bag. I better make this quick, if I start to suppress too much more, I'll end up in trouble.

Hitting the Probe with another shot from the spray can, Todd went back to work downloading images from the fourth floor. Before he could even get started on the fifth and final floor, the door opened up behind him again and a yellow light started to flash in the corner. Dangit, I don't have time for this crap. Looking over his shoulder, he saw two more men-in-black barring down on him. Not wanting to deal with suppressing that much IC, he blasted them right in the eyes with his can of spray paint. One last floor, then I've got it. Hoping that he'd bought himself enough time, his fingers flashed over the keys, calling up the camera displays from the fifth floor and downloading them.

As the last download completed, Todd grabbed up all his gear and got ready to head for the door, but the IC was there, standing in his way. He got them all with one last blast of paint, then skated past them and out of the room. Heading for the door, Todd stopped and paused at the directory for a second, quickly scanning the building database for any reference to the Church of the Lord's Way. Finding nothing, he made his way out the front door, erasing his datatrail as he exited.

Back in the meat world, he opened his eyes and sat up. Not bad, not bad. Got what I needed out of the building, now I just gotta follow up with the hosts for all the companies that are housed in the building. No sweat. Just gotta give the system a few minutes to go off passive alert...
SentineloftheMountain

"Don't even think about, Dusha." Andie commands and tightens on Dusha's leash; taking up the slack as the cat runs off. "Come on."

Andie leads Dusha down the block; looking for a place Dusha can relieve himself/herself and get some exercise. Where's a park when you need one? Mayor's slacking on city development.
Ecclesiastes
11:38:52 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Apartment 875, Parkewood Village Apartments, Tacoma

Half an hour later Todd disconnected from the Matrix once more. This last run hadn't turned up nearly as much as he'd hoped for, but at least it gave him the seed of an idea. He shot off a message to Tony to report and see what he was up to.

CODE
Hey man.  Ready to roll.  Got a complete maps and a snapshot from every camera in the building.  Couldn't find any info specifically about things that I'd seen tied to this 'project' of mine, but I did get some data on what the different companies do and I think I have a good idea where we should start.  Give me a call when you have a chance, we'll get together and figure out what where we should go from here.
The_Eyes
21:19:23 Wednesday 10 January - Unit 303, Winlock Apartment Complex, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

As always happened just after Ran leaves, the apartment seemed a lot more... empty, despite the almost unbroken clutter running from wall to wall. Eyes shrugged and threaded his way to the fridge, realizing only after opening it that he was out of anything that could reasonably become food. Heh, guess I'm following her after all, Eyes thought as he grabbed a few things and headed out.

22:07:12 Wednesday 10 January - Unit 303, Winlock Apartment Complex, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Hunger taken care of, Eyes made his way back to his apartment. Chinese food was probably the only decent take-out food you could get on a budget these days: they at least have been cooking with tofu for long enough that they could make it taste decent without too many additives. Tossing the leftover rice and a few other ingredients into his slow cooker--one of the very few pieces he had managed to take with him from his old, nicer apartment--he settled back down to work, secure in the knowledge that at lease he knew where his next meal was coming from.

But after a few moments it was clear that nothing else productive was going to happen tonight. Even the crushing hyper-reality of his deck's ASIST could completely jar the sleep from his head. And no wonder; it had been a particularly busy day already, meeting Jennifer, the in hindsight over-hurried search of Dr. Casimir's apartment, the discovery of the chip, the second meet and the third computer search of the day... it was tiring just thinking about all of it. After absent-mindedly poking at bits of code for a half hour, Eyes finally called it quits for the night, resolving to head out early tomorrow instead.
Bastard
12:10.05 Thursday 11 January 2063- Cooper's Automotive, Downtown Seatle, UCAS

Inside the office of the auto shop, Tony finds Marquis pulling apart the office computer. "Frag this thing!-This piece of drek has been nothing but trouble. I cant believe we payed those SBC faggots 150 nuyen.gif to fix this and it still doesnt work."

By the time Marq notices Tony standing there, the computer has been dissassembled to its smallest parts. Screws lay in small tuperware bowls that surround the miscellaneous computer parts on the office desk.

"Oh sorry Tony, didnt see you there. It looks like Im going to have to fix this computer here myself. Its supposed to be under warranty..." He stands laying the rest of the components down on the table.

"So where is that truck? We will bring it in the garage for now, then I will probably rent a self storage garage somewhere and keep it there while it cools down. You figure out what you want to do with it yet? Or are you waiting to see the final product first. If its the second, give me an idea to what kind of modifications you would like, that way we can get it all done at once." Marquis gives him a friendly smile.

bclements
12:10.37 Thursday 11 January 2063- Cooper's Automotive, Downtown Seatle, UCAS

Tony, raising an eyebrow at the assorted innards of the computer in the shop and this reminds me why I don't take my telecom apart at home says to Marquis "I apologize for being late. The truck's parked outside. Other than any mods that will make it sell better, I've got no clue on what to add to it. You wanna take a look at it?" he said, tossing the keys effortlessly in a ballistic arc onto an empty space on the desk,
"And yeah, SBC is a money-pit if I've ever seen it. I do know a guy that's drek hot with that stuff, if you want me to have him give you a call," Tony says, his brow lowering and transforming into a smile at the assorted parts on the desk.
Sedna
0706 Wednesday, January 10, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

Just as Andie manages to take up the slack the dog surges forward with a jingling of tags, and is checked by the now-taut leash before he can break fully into a run. The sheer strength of the dog makes the mage stumble ... but just the interruption seems to be enough. With a glance at him and a questioning little whine, Dusha inches back, dropping to his chest and forepaws first before pulling back to lie down properly beside Andie until the mage can regain his balance.

Good. He's got a strong instinct to chase, but if I can cut him off each time before he gets started, I should be able to keep him under control. At least he's been reasonably trained. Park, park ... where is that park where my parents used to take me? Got to be kilometres away. I've been so focussed since I started school and then studying at Sara's, I don't know much more of this area than the transit routes between this place, my apartment, and my parents' place. City development, civic engineering, civic design ... if I were a park, where would I be?

Andie hesitates, switching leash hands to nurse his fingers a little where the leash had burned him, then turns away from the main road toward which he'd automatically headed. There'd be some serious green space up on the hills, but that's far more walking than he feels like doing. But this small residential area, mixed density, church, school, couple of small restaurants, one with an outside table area with breakfast smells that are making his mouth water ... and a Park!
WinterRat1
17:02:01 Monday 08 January 2063 - Finn's apartment, Loveland Quinn's Bar, Puyallup

Finn shrugs. "Hard to say chummer. I have absolutely no idea what this clinic of yours might be up to. If it's mostly legit but they just buy some stuff from moderately questionable sources, then yeah, a Brain Eater could probably pull it off. If they're up to something really shady..." He shrugs again, in his best 'it's really a fragging toss up' shrug.

"Basically, it comes down to what you think they've got on that isolated system. If it's something hot, then isolated or not, it's going to be tough to crack. If it's not so hot, say maybe just confidential patient data, then it probably would be a walk. But until I knew enough to guess what they've got, I wouldn't want to hazard a guess as to whether or not a Brain Eater could do it. I know various levels of deckers, of course, but it's really a question of how much do you want to pay, how much can you pay, and in the end, will it be the most cost-efficient level of proficiency for what you need?"

Tyler looks at John a bit blankly. "So basically, he's saying he has no idea, right?"
Slipshade
23:03:19 Monday 08 January 2063 - 6 Bellevue Way, One Lincoln Tower - 41st Floor – Penthouse

“Damn!” Max swore out load. Nothing was working for him. The distance between Keira and himself was too great. He would have to get closer to find her.

‘If only I knew another Shaman, this would be much easier.’ Max thought. ‘Well John said he knew someone who was awakened, hopefully they know someone who could help.’

Not that it made much of a difference, they wouldn’t be able to help him tonight anyway.

‘Hopefully John is having better luck with the clinic. It looks like I may have to get inside to have any chance of finding her.’

Max sat back into his oversized reading chair and waited, after arriving home and notifying security that he would have a visitor arriving late, he had immediately set about brushing up on rituals and how they work. He had tried a few things and a number of spells he was familiar with, but so far nothing.

‘And now you are under the gun, with only a day to find her.’ Max knew that he would never leave without making sure she was safe, but the opportunity Hideo had offered him was something he may never get again. Grabbing up his pocket secretary, he made a note to ask some of his friends if they had heard of the man. It would have to wait until tomorrow, if he even got the chance, but it never hurt to be prepared.

Standing up Max made his way to his study and to help clear his mind he logged onto his computer to checked for any messages.
Scrapheap
17:04:23 Monday 08 January 2063 - Finn's apartment, Loveland Quinn's Bar, Puyallup

"Yeah, that's about right, kid. But he sure sounded smart sayin' it, right?"

Turning back to Finn, John said, "C'mon, chummer. You know I ain't got much scratch. I could maybe pay 500 nuyen.gif upfront and split whatever paydata's found on the system, with the split going heavily in the deck-jockey's favor." 500 nuyen.gif would really fraggin' hurt, but what am I gonna do? Start cuttin' corners now?

"You're right, John, that's not a lot of 'scratch.' Most guys capable of handling anything remotely hot wouldn't even consider helping you for that price."

"So maybe you know someone with something to prove, or some wiz new utility they've been dyin' to try out? Someone wanting to make their name, or move up a level in the game? Someone kinda green, but knows their drek?"

"I don't know. That's..."

"Just think about it, Finn. Maybe something will come to you." Turning to the three gangers, John added, "In the meantime, I'll take these guys and go visit the Eaters. Even if they ain't got anyone wiz enough to pull it off, I'm sure they can point out the system to me. Worst case, I bring the whole fraggin' thing back here to you."

"So you goin' back to the Clinic? You goin' inside this time?" Megan asked him seriously, while Twiggy suppressed a shiver. "When?"

"Yeah, kiddo, don't look like I got much choice. It'll have to be tonight, after I talk to Max. Who fraggin' knows? Maybe he's got a way figured out so that I won't have to go." You know you ain't that lucky.

Everyone was quiet for a second, before John turned back to his oldest friend. "Yeah. Well, Finn, I better get going. Unless you got something to add? Also, can you print me out a copy of the floorplans and anything else you think'll help?"
WinterRat1
17:05:58 Monday 08 January 2063 - Finn's apartment, Loveland Quinn's Bar, Puyallup

Wordlessly, Finn presses a button and the printer immediately begins spewing out paper with the requested information. Rubbing his chin thoughtfully, Finn finally says, "Well chum, I think, let me stress the word 'think' that I might be able to find someone who would be willing to work with you for what you're talking about. Give me a couple hours and I'll get back to you on that, ok? Other than that, that's about all I think of, other than saying be careful."
Bastard
12:11.00 Thursday 11 January 2063- Cooper's Automotive, Downtown Seatle, UCAS

Catching the keys in their downward arc, Marquis replies, "Well if its in good condition, and youre gonna sell it, I dont see why we should modify it. I figure we go purchase a junker and switch the VINs, paint this one and register it, then dump the junker in the barrens, or into the Sound."

Marquis leads Tony out of the shop to where the vehicle in question waits. "Well looks pretty damn good to me. I'll run it once around the block and pull it into the garage."

He removes his jacket, and tosses it onto the passanger seat before climbing into the cab. Following the jacket into the truck, Marq gets comfortable and straps himself in with the seat belt. The engine starts effortlessly, and soon the van rolls off for a quick 45 second drive around the blocks alleyways and less taken paths. On its return, it pulls straight into the garage.

Returning to the customer on foot, "Runs good, dont see any problem reselling it. I will get started on it today."
bclements
12:13.45 Thursday 11 January 2063- Cooper's Automotive, Downtown Seatle, UCAS

Tony stands around in the shop's office, looking at the assorted innards of the computer layed out on the desk while Marquis takes the truck out for a spin. Finally bored of the seemingly random assembly of circuit boards, processors, and other electronic menutia that make up the modern computer, he stuffs his hands in his pockets while he looks around the office. His psec hums; Drek, forgot to turn it off vibrate and he sees that Todd emailed him.

Typing out a quick reply as he sees Marquis pulling up in the Workhorse

CODE

Great work kid. Call you in a bit.

As he puts the psec away, Marquis comes in and tells him the good news. "That's actually the best news I've heard today," Tony says. "As for the payment...how much would a truck like that sell for?"
Scrapheap
17:06:35 Monday 08 January 2063 - Finn's apartment, Loveland Quinn's Bar, Puyallup

"Yeah. Thanks, Finn. That goes for you too, chummer. Don't get too nosy over this drek." Not that I expect he'll listen to me any more than Rosie did, but I had to say somethin' there.

John took the small stack of printed materials, then turned to give Finn a friendly pat on the back. "Talk to you soon, chum. Call me if you hear anything, or find anyone willing to work on the cheap."

"Nul persp." Leaning forward so that he could see the three gangers, the decker added, "Hey, you three. Keep an eye on this old man. He's getting senile in his old age, and every once in a while he gets all confused and thinks it's 2053. Sometimes, he just needs to be reminded of the date."

John glared while Twiggy and Tyler gave each other a confused glance. Megan however, got the drift immediately. "I scan ya, chummer. We'll keep him outta trouble if we can." Grabbing John around the arm, like a boyscout leading an old lady across the street, she pulled him in the direction of the door. "C'mon, old-timer. Let's get going." John glared angrily over his shoulder to where Finn sat in his pleather chair, head thrown back in laughter, but allowed the young elf to lead him from the apartment.
Scrapheap
17:56:43 Monday 08 January 2063 - Northbound on I-405

"Whoa! Watch it, you fraggin' fragger!" John leaned into the van's surprisingly loud horn for added emphasis as the sleek Westwind cut them off and crossed several lanes. As it flew past, the sportscar's passenger gave him the single-finger salute. "Grr! See? This is why I avoid the interstate! I knew we should have went locals."

"No one made you go this way, pops." Megan sat slumped in the passenger seat, dirty boots propped onto the dash. "Besides, I 'member you sayin' that this would be faster."

"At least we ain't run into no go-gangs," Twiggy added.

"Yet." Tyler sat fiddling with his knife and ignored the worried look his young friend shot his direction.

"Nah, no problem there. Here's our exit." John carefully signalled and took the 85th Street exit. Unless the situation required something radical, he always drove like an old lady. Why give LoneStar an easy reason to pull you over?

"Where we goin' again?" Twiggy asked while looking out the side window.

Sighing, John answered, "I already told you: I need to talk to a friend of mine. Bigwig with the Brain Eaters. So we're going to one of their safehouses." Fraggin' kids...

"Yeah, but where?"

"It's in Touristville, all right? On fraggin' 85th and 158th! Relax, we're almost there."

"85th ain't no straight-shot, chummer." Tyler looked up from his knife. "You need to hang a louie on..."

"I know how to fraggin' get there! What the frag? I have been there before." Looking into the rearview mirror he added, "You know, I did manage to survive before I met you three."

Megan snorted beside him. "Yeah, chummer. Look where that got ya."
Scrapheap
18:26:02 Monday 08 January 2063 - Corner of 85th and 158th Streets, Touristville, Redmond

"Where we goin' now, old man?" Walking with the hood up and her hands stuffed deep into her oversized jacket's pockets made Megan looked even younger. "I don't see no gang hide-out. I hope it ain't too far, cause it's fraggin' freezing out here!"

Taking a drag from his ever-present cigarette, John pointed across the street. "That close enough for ya?"

The building he indicated was a medium-sized brick and glass structure that looked like it had been built in the early years of the century. Of course, like most everything in Redmond, it had seen better days. Several of the large windows were either cracked or replaced with platsi-wood sheeting and the brick was pock-marked from small-arms fire. Above the entrance the words "Redmond Public Library" could be faintly seen, though just in outline. At some point, raised letters spelling out the building's name had adorned the facade, but those were long gone now.

"Still don't look like any gang-house I ever saw." Tyler added, eying the structure critically.

"The Eaters ain't your typical gang. C'mon." John jogged across the street after waiting for a dented Jackrabbit to pass.

As the unlikely quartet made their way to the building, through what was probably a well-landscaped garden in better days, they noticed a mixed-race group loitering near the entrance. As they got closer, a dwarf male separated from the rest and approached. "Hoi, Scrapheap. What gives? We was lookin' for ya yesterday, cause your sis told some of the boys you was droppin' by. He'd never say so, but I think Slim Jim was worried 'bout ya when you didn't show."

After executing a complicated handshake with the dwarf, John looked at the larger group of gangers and the building before dropping his gaze and replying. "Yeah, sorry 'bout that, Digger. Things came up."

Digger displayed a series of chipped and gold teeth in a wide smile. "So ka. Bidness or pleasure?"

"Business. Personal business, unfortunately. Slim inside?"

"Yeah, lemme let him know youse here." Turning, the dwarf whistled and motioned to one of the other gangers near the doors. A slim human immediately tossed down a cigarette butt and went inside. Digger turned back and looked at John's companions. "Who's dis?"

"Friends. They're chill." John looked up as the human returned, nodding once to Digger.

"Go 'head. Better not keep 'im waitin' dis time." As the group walked away, Digger smiled at Megan. "How you doin,' sweetie?"

Giving him a disgusted glance, she replied, "Frag off, creep."

The dwarf and his companions threw back their heads in laughter as John held the door and motioned the rest inside.
Bastard
12:14.00 Thursday 11 January 2063- Cooper's Automotive, Downtown Seatle, UCAS

"Well its brand new, but once you drive it off the lot the value drops somewhere between 35 to 50%. The mileage is low, but we may have to bring that up to match the replacement vehicle, but I doubt that. I'm sure we could get at least 50% of the value, but I'll tweak it a bit so you can get more. Some nice wheels and maybe we could slam it or lift it. Tint the windows jet black. You know, the regular stuff."
bclements
12:14.45 Thursday 11 January 2063- Cooper's Automotive, Downtown Seatle, UCAS

"Yeah, we could put some ruthinium and neon rims on there. Make it look like some wannabe ganger's ride." Tony said, laughing to himself. "Do what you think would make it sell for the most profit. As for selling, how about a 30% cut of the sale price for you?"
Bastard
12:15.00 Thursday 11 January 2063- Cooper's Automotive, Downtown Seatle, UCAS

"Depends on how much work I got to put into this thing. If I put 1000 nuyen.gif into a lift kit, which could raise the vehicles sell value by maybe 2000 nuyen.gif , I would only see 600 nuyen.gif back."

bclements
12:15.24 Thursday 11 January 2063- Cooper's Automotive, Downtown Seatle, UCAS

"Ok..." Tony said softly, bending his head down and thinking. "We'll tack reasonable expenses onto it. I don't want to see all the money evaporate with mods, but I do know you've got to spend some nuyen to make some more. How's that sound?" he finished, enjoying the negoiations.
Bastard
12:15.24 Thursday 11 January 2063- Cooper's Automotive, Downtown Seatle, UCAS

"That will work, I will probably cut the mods down a bit."
bclements
12:15.38 Thursday 11 January 2063- Cooper's Automotive, Downtown Seatle, UCAS

"Very good. Let me call a cab to get out of your way. By the way, you got a number I can reach you at? Or is just calling you here ok?" Tony said nonchalantly, pulling out his psec.
Bastard
12:15.45 Thursday 11 January 2063- Cooper's Automotive, Downtown Seatle, UCAS

Marquis relays his number to Tony, "You should be able to reach me at anytime on that number. Are you sure I cant give you a lift. I got to go pick up some parts before I get started, I can drop you off along the way."
bclements
12:15.53 Thursday 11 January 2063- Cooper's Automotive, Downtown Seatle, UCAS

"I'm headed out to Sea-Tac. If you want to give me a ride, I'll take it." Tony says, filing Marquis's contact information into his psec.
Bastard
12:16.10 Thursday 11 January 2063- Cooper's Automotive, Downtown Seatle, UCAS

"Yeah no problem, I wouldn't have offered otherwise," Marquis gives him a smile as they head toward the glazed classic. The alarm chirps as it is dissarmed, the doors unlock, and the engine starts. "Hop in."

The soft purr of the Cadillac's engine is swallowed up by the heavy rumble of an old Chevy big block rounding the corner. The sound is followed by a red paint job that jumps out of the grey and white background. The '70 Chevelle slows to a stop behind Tony and Marquis.

A large hispanic male emerges from car. "Good morning Chavo," Marq give him a wave. Chavez replies with morning pleasentries as well, "Good morning." He heads into the shop to start work on the Workhorse sitting in the garage.

"Thats the other mechanic, he's gonna get to work on the pickup, while I go and find a replacement. Ready to roll?" Marq asks as he slides into the driver seat.
bclements
12:16.25 Thursday 11 January 2063- Cooper's Automotive, Downtown Seatle, UCAS

Tony looks wide eyed at the pair of obviously old hell, practically ancient, but very well kept cars before him. Drek, a guy that can keep these running can definatly do what I need done with that Workhorse. Getting into the passenger seat of the old Caddie, Tony notices the very well kept and updated interior. "Wow, man, this is a nice ride. Be careful out there; the snow's still messing people up. I'd hate for you to have to wreck this nice of a ride."
Bastard
12:16.45 Thursday 11 January 2063- Cooper's Automotive, Downtown Seatle, UCAS

"Thanks. Just got to keep it away from other drivers. Once you know how to handle the snow, its not so bad. A lot easier than rain, I tell you. At least you know when youre going to slide on snow, rain kind of sneaks up on you." The STS rolls off easily, en route to Sea-Tac long term parking.
bclements
12:18.31 Thursday 11 January 2063- Cooper's Automotive, Downtown Seatle, UCAS

"Yeah, driving isn't my strong suit, though. Just a way to get me from point A to point B. Of course, having a ride like this could change my mind," Tony says, still glancing around at the spacious interior. I think you could fit my Americar in here he thinks to himself as the car takes off from a stoplight onto the onramp for I-5.
Scrapheap
18:38:24 Monday 08 January 2063 - Brain Eater's Headquarters, Touristville, Redmond

John led his younger companions through the doorway and into the graffiti-covered interior of the former library, nodding to several Brain Eaters as they walked past. The first room the small group encountered had been converted into a sort of lounge. A large trid unit had been installed where the Information Desk once stood, and several couches and chairs littered the rest of the area. Cables and wires seemed to string everywhere and the floor and table-tops were littered with empty bottles and chip holders, general trash, and the occasional piece of electronic junk. There were several gang members in the area, some with deck-cases slung over their shoulders or carefully placed nearby. A few glanced up as the group walked past, nodding to the aging runner. One said, "Hoi, Scrapheap. Good to see ya."

In response, Megan looked at John, her head cocked to one side. "You seem pretty popular here, old man. You a member or somethin' like that?"

"Me? Nah. Did a favor for one once, long time ago now. They got a long memory. When I decided to get clean, they helped me out by throwin' the occasional job my way."

"Like a shadowrun?" Twiggy asked, slightly wide-eyed.

"More like an oil-change. I helped keep their cars and bikes running, ran some cable, helped fix some lights in the building, that sort of thing."

"Wow, sounds wiz." Megan added dryly.

John shrugged. "Meant a lot to me. This way."

He led the way up a wide flight of stairs to the second floor, into a large open area. Steel bookshelves lined the perimeter of the room, some still containing books. The rest of the space was cluttered with work-tables, littered with tools and large amounts of electronic equipment in various states of assembly. A few areas had been sectioned-off using large sheets of black plastic hung from the ceiling. Several Eaters worked at various tables, though most ignored them. If they'd gotten this far without incident, they were supposed to be here.

"What the frag is this?" Tyler asked.

"Long time ago, Redmond was a big player in the tech sector, right? Even before the megacorps, some fraggin' big companies called it home. One of the ways these guys make their money is by scavenging the electronic left-overs."

"Actually, we prefer the term 'recycle.'" A tall human in his mid-twenties looked up from a nearby table as he said this. He was wearing torn and stained jeans and a faded concert t-shirt from some troll thrasher band John had never heard of before. "How's it going, John? Sorry we missed you yesterday."

"Hoi, Slim Jim! Didn't see you there, chummer." After giving the young ganger the same handshake that he'd shared with the dwarf downstairs, John continued. "Yeah, sorry 'bout yesterday, Slim. Had some drek to do, took longer than expected." Pausing for a second, he added, "Got somewhere we can talk?"

Slim Jim looked at the older man for a second, then at the three young people accompanying him, before replying. "Sure, chummer. Follow me." Standing, he was a couple of inches taller than John, almost as tall as an elf. Shrugging into an armored jacked decorated in Brain Eaters' colors, he led the way into a nearby room and closed the door.
Bastard
12:19.08 Thursday 11 January 2063- Interstate 5, Downtown Seatle, UCAS

The I-5 used to be a real son of a slitch before they widened it, again. Not to say it still isn't, but at least you never come to a complete stop anymore. The snow has all been blown to the side of the freeway from heavy traffic throughout the winter, making the road much easier to handle, even with winter tires. The STS rolls along around 70 mph, along with the flow of the faster traffic. It stands out among the duller cars also sharing the interstate.

Marquis turns the dial on the radio to pick up The E&T Show. "Hey Tony, you like Earnie and the Troll? These guys are hilarious."
bclements
12:21.57 Thursday 11 January 2063- Interstate 5( heading toward Sea-Tac International Airport), Downtown Seatle UCAS

Catching himself laughing at the gonzo antics on the radio, Tony replies "I've caught the Matrix replay a few times. Those guys can be wiz, and they bring in the ratings. Mostly, though, I'm a news guy. ," he says, as The Troll spouts out "BUT I'M A TROLL!?!" to some canned laughter and various sound effects.

Laughing silently, and still admiring the car as it drives very comfortably down the road, he finally gets up the nerve to ask a question. "Maybe I picked the wrong line of work; I wouldn't mind having a ride like this. Just what do you do?" Tony inquired, stretching out a bit in the ample seat of the car. Jesus, to have a ride like this when I was with Andie.
Scrapheap
18:54:07 Monday 08 January 2063 - Brain Eater's Headquarters, Touristville, Redmond

Slim Jim sat behind a scarred wooden desk, feet propped on the cluttered top, a chipped bowl of instant miso steaming between cupped hands. He sat silently, deep in thought, though he occasionally blew on the soup to speed its cooling. He hadn't spoken since John had made his proposal, though he had asked several questions as the older runner and the gangers had recounted the series of events leading up to this point. Finally he sat forward and, moving aside a stack of optical chips to make room, carefully sat the bowl of hot soup on the desk.

"So, let me get this straight: You want me to send a group of Brain Eaters with you to raid this clinic, including someone capable of cracking an isolated system of unknown parameters, which may or may not even exist, and our payment would be whatever we could haul away from the building plus a share of any paydata from this theoretical isolated system? Am I missing anything?"

John felt his face flush slightly as the young gang-boss spoke. "C'mon, chummer, it ain't so bad as you make it out. At the least you would get some high-end electronics you could flip. At most, if this fraggin' place is up to no good like we think, then you get the paydata and the electronics. Plus you get the word out that the Eaters are ready to take the next step and become major players. Branch out."

"Yeah, I got all that. Thing is, I'm not sure I want to 'branch out.' We do pretty well as it stands. We have our niche, we're good at it, and we're respected for it. We do this thing for you and word naturally spreads. Soon enough, we get other offers; other jobs. Jobs we maybe can't refuse. We get exposed."

"What do you mean: exposed?" Megan asked while waving John's cigarette smoke out of her face.

"I mean exposed, girl. Exposed to jealousy and competition from other gangs and criminal elements. Exposed to increased scrutiny and pressure from the 'Star. Exposed to increased attention from any number of megas, including whoever is behind your clinic." Wrapping his hands around the bowl, he took a sip of miso before adding, "Exposed. Sorry, chummer, but I don't think I can do it. The reward here does not outweigh the possible risk.

"However," he quickly continued as John's face darkened, "before you get your hoop all bent out of shape, that doesn't mean that I can't help. I have a kid, real talented but raw, who I think could crack your isolated system. Interested?"

John took a drag off his cigarette and composed himself before replying. "Of course I'm fraggin' interested. I came here lookin' for help, right? But why're you willin' to risk this kid when you won't risk anyone else?"

"Good question. Like I said: the kid's talented. He's not going to settle for the kind of stuff we do around here for much longer. Soon enough he'd need greater challenges, and eventually he'd head out on his own looking for the bigger and better. This way, I get him headed in the right direction under the watchful eye of someone I trust. Then when his someday comes and he's a big, bad shadowrunner, maybe he remembers who gave him his first deck." Finishing, Slim took another sip from the chipped bowl and settled back into his chair.

John watched the young gang-boss as cigarette smoke curled around him, it's source momentarily forgotten in his hand. Another fraggin' kid to babysit! But if Slim says he's good then that means something.

"A'ight, chummer. 500 nuyen.gif upfront, and we split the haul from whatever paydata he gets 60/40. Larger to him. Plus, when I go in it'll be short notice. Maybe tonight. Can he be ready?"

"Nul sheen, John. As far as terms, that sounds fair." Reaching into his jacket pocket, he pulled an older p-sec out, fiddled with it a minute, and then settled it into a cradle on his desk. Immediately, a printer chirped to life and spat out a small sheet of cheap paper. Tearing it off, the ganger handed the sheet to John. On the sheet was a blurry image of the kid in question and his contact information.

Replacing the p-sec, Slim Jim stood and said, "I'll talk to him. Let him know that you may need his help and that he needs to be ready." He walked around the desk before adding, "I'm glad that's settled. If there's nothing else, I really need to get back. Take care, John, and good luck finding your niece. Don't be a stranger."
Scrapheap
22:28:57 Monday 08 January 2063 - The Respite Soup Kitchen, Touristville, Redmond

John slowly straightened from the junction box, placed his hands on his lower back, and proceeded to stretch. For the past hour or so, he'd been repairing a short in the Respite's kitchen lighting, apparently caused by a stray shot during Keira's abduction. He'd had to rewire a good portion of the line leading to the room's overhead lighting where the original material had been fried. It had been beyond saving and it was a miracle that it hadn't started fire.

He quickly replaced the cover, then turned to where Twiggy and Megan were sorting through the food in the large fridges, saving what they could. "Hoi. One of you go over and try the lights when I say."

Twiggy, who John had earlier ordered not to leave his sight, looked at Megan. Never at a loss for words, she quickly replied, "Your legs don't look broke, chummer. We're busy."

"Just fraggin' do it." Grumbling under his breath as he walked over to the utility closet that hosted the building's main electrical, John flipped the breaker labeled "kitchen, overhead" and called out, "Ok, give it a shot."

The overhead fluorescents flared to life, causing the old runner to display a rare grin of pleasure. Glad to see I can still do somethin' right. Closing the breaker box door, and then the closet, John then turned to survey the clean-up effort and decide what to do next.

After the meeting with Slim Jim, and lacking an immediate "next step" while waiting for the phone to ring, the young gangers had talked him into returning to the Respite to check on their friends. When they arrived, John had been amazed at the progress. Most of the food and other mess had been cleaned up, and all of the salvagable furniture had been turned over and was in the process of being cleaned. The four had immediately joined the effort. Tyler and Megan helped haul broken furniture out back, while John had re-attached the front doors, with limited help from Twiggy.

Finishing the doors, which were still quite dented but would now close (with a little shoving), he'd started on the lighting. Somewhere in there he'd managed to call Etta with an update, though he'd had to hang-up on her again, and he'd received a call from Finn. His friend had informed him that he'd managed to find a decker willing to help, though she wanted 750 nuyen.gif upfront instead of 500. According to Finn, he'd used her a couple of times before and she was good, but still new enough that she couldn't afford to pass-up work. John had taken her contact info and told Finn that he'd let her know.

John, lost in thought, returned to the present as Tyler walked up and said, "Hoi. Wiz job on the lights. What's next?"

"Well..." was all he managed to get out before he heard his phone begin to ring. "I guess just fraggin' do whatever. See if anyone needs help, right? I gotta get that call."

It took John a few seconds to find his jacket and retrieve his phone. Finally, he flipped it open and said, "Go."

A deep, rich voice replied, "It’s Max. I have finished my prior engagement this evening and am ready to help find Keira and Nora. Meet me at 6 Bellevue Way, One Lincoln Tower in Bellevue. I will inform the night guard of your impending arrival. Take the elevator to the 41st Floor and I meet you there."

Using his shoulder to hold the cell phone against his ear, John pulled out a pen and wrote the address onto his meat hand. "A'ight, Max. I'll head over now. We got lots to talk about. Oh, hope you don't mind, but I should probably bring my little entourage. Don't worry, chummer, they'll be good. See ya in a few." Disconnecting, he replaced the phone and went looking for the rest of his little group. Finally, we're gettin' somewhere.
Bastard
12:22.13 Thursday 11 January 2063- Interstate 5( heading toward Sea-Tac International Airport), Downtown Seatle UCAS

"Don't mind at all. Actually I do a lot of custom jobs in vehicles and weapons. It helps that I really don't have to look for work, there is always something to do. It also helps if you love what you do, kind of makes it not so much work and somewhat of a hobby."

The car continues on across the I-5 toward the airport. The comedy of the two radio dj's continue, "Yeah, but your even dumb on troll standards!"

grendel
12:28:42 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

Marquis and Tony are still chuckling from the latest exchange between the two DJs as the Cadillac pulls into the parking garage.

"It's back in the corner there." Tony gestured towards the rear of the vast concrete structure, checking through his pockets to make sure he wouldn't leave anything behind when he exited the vehicle. Movement up ahead catches his eye, though, as the vehicle rounds a corner.

"Slow up a second," he says, a slow cold moving out from the base of his spine.

"Huh?" Marq glances over at Tony in confusion, then back at the windshield when he sees the grim expression on Tony's face.

In the blocky U formed by the parking garage's adjacent aisles of cars are eleven people. Five stand to one side, facing four others about seven meters apart. Between them are two others, a man lying on his back and a woman kneeling over him. All of them hold weapons. Pistols dominate, but also present are a pair of submachineguns and a sawed off shotgun. As the brilliant white beams of the Caddy's headlights sweep across the tableau, their heads turn as one to stare at the car. The nine standing are all Japanese, while the two in the center appear to be caucasian. The weapons never waver from their points of aim, though. The group of five has drawn down on the group of four, and vice versa. The woman's pistol is held at low ready, her face suffused with desperate hope and fear. Time seems to slow as the Caddy negotiates the turn.

"Oh drek," says Tony.
bclements
12:28:47 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

"Oh. Drek."

Taking in the scene in front of him, the two sets of assailants? assassins? punks? runners?, moving their heads to stare back at the turning car, the whole scene illuminated in the harsh white light of the headlamps. Hard to believe that I was laughing just a minute ago Tony thought to himself as he quickly tried to think of a way out of the situation.

Fear entered into his mind, wanting to carry him away. And there was an open path to the side of the group, big enough for Marq's car to slide past the ensemble and get to Tony's Americar, then out of here probably to never see them again. That fear was quickly replaced by another emotion as Tony saw the women, with her look of despiration, and the prone man she was kneeling over. That, combined with the day he had been having, pushed him in another direction.

Goshen looked like that too. Only those gangers didn't have an arsenal when they came calling. But I've got one too,just a few meters away... he thinks to himself, the outline of an idea coming into his mind...

"How well can you drive, Marq?" Tony says softly, as if the group outside could hear him if he spoke too loudly. Eyes still pointed toward the group, he mentally calms himself while removing his safety belt slowly, hand catching his pistol out of its holster smoothly on the return motion.
Bastard
12:28:52 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

"Oh drek," Tony says, half under his breath.

"Is that Yakuza...?"

-------------------------------

"How well can you drive, Marq?" Tony says softly...

"Im no Jeff Gordon, Jr., but I have a more important question: What is your plan?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012