Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
WinterRat1
09:38:07 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

"Marina! Did you find our files yet?" Robert called out.

"Not yet!"

"Do you remember the name of the man we saw at the clinic?"

"Um...I think it was something Johnson. I can't remember his first name," she answered from what was apparently her husband's office.

"Ah yes." Robert turned back to 'Mr. Jones', a thin smile on his face. "That was his name. Mr. Johnson. Mr. John Johnson." His aura and tone have a trace of satisfaction in them. "Does that help at all Mr. Jones?"

Clearing his throat, he continues, "My wife and I were there for a preliminary consultation. A common medical condition, fairly frequent these days, but no less inconvenient." He shakes his head. "I apologize Mr. Jones, I appear to have forgotten the other questions. Could you refresh my memory please?"
Slipshade
09:38:32 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

He seems to be stalling.

"Please call me Rich."

“What care was given at the clinic and who were the attending staff?”

“Did you stay for any length of time at the clinic?”

“Where you seen at any other of The Research for Practical Applications Clinics and if so which ones?”

“Where did you hear about the Clinic and were you refered? If so by whom?”

"Though if you were only in for a consultation the first three questions seem to be irrelevant."

Were your refered to the clinic? If so by whom?

What is the nature of the medical condition if I may ask? And have you scheduled a follow up appointment?

"Johnson seems to be a common name these days. Could you decribe the man so I can better identify your doctor?
WinterRat1
09:38:56 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

"Well Rich, I was actually referred to the clinic by none other than Mr. Johnson." He smiles again. "He's fairly nondescript, very modest fellow. Brown hair, brown eyes, about 5'10, maybe 175 or so. Nothing out of the ordinary. All in all, a regular guy. We haven't scheduled a follow up appointment yet, as the condition is currently...being treated, let's say." He folds his hands in front of him, cupping the tea as he takes a sip. "What other questions I can help you with?"
grendel
13:43:51 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

The woman's eyes flicker open and closed, drugs racing through her system.

"Massada...Massada..." she murmurs.
Slipshade
09:42:05 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

Max was at a loss and beginning to think that Mr. Wong was up to something.

"No sir. I can understand your reluctance in talking about your condition to a stranger and I don't really blame you. If you can supply me with those documents and/or files I will be on my way, as I would hate to go back to my employer with nothing to show him...and thank you for your time."

Max kept his smile, but inside he was beginning to despair.

'Another dead end.'

He was sure Mr. Wong knew a little more than he was telling him, but he couldn't think of anything to say that wouldn't blow his cover if he hadn't blown it already. He was sure talking to the Wong's would lead him to Keira, but...

'I'm sorry Keira, I let you down.'

Sooner or latter he was going to have to face the hard truth...she was likely dead and if he did find her it was probably only going to be her corpse.
Scrapheap
09:43:35 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

John had listened to the conversation with growing impatience. He still stood silently, playing his part, but remaining so became more difficult as the exchange continued. As Mr. Wong began to play Max he realized he may have to act.

When the suit smiled smugly and cupped his tea, John watched as Max's shoulders slumped slightly. He resisted the urge to jerk one of his Manhunters and simply cleared his throat.

"Pardon me for interrupting, Mr. Jones. Mr. Wong, I'm afraid you do not understand the situation. Reconstructing those records is imperative to the investigation of the incident last night, and Mr. Jones and I have been assigned that task.

"Now, I'm sure that you understand the work that The Clinic does, and its sensitive nature. I'm sure that you are also aware of the exclusivity of its client list. These are not the type of people that accept failure. Nor are my superiors, which is why we will not fail to recover whatever possible."

Pausing to let his little speech sink in, John calmly changes positions. Unclasping his gloved hands from behind his back, he unzips his jacket as he shifts his feet, moving from an at rest posture to one of coiled violence.

"Now for the files. Or should I go assist Mrs. Wong in the search?"
bclements
13:47:22 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

Rubbing his temples at the literial and metaphorical headache that he had, Tony tried not to change the soft tone of his voice. Frag, that could be me he thinks to himself, debating on hitting the PanicButton over in the corner of the garage when he notices movement in the corner of his eye.

Ducking low and almost drawing his pistol before realizing that it was Marquis, he pitches his voice a bit higher than talking to the woman. "Hey chummer, glad to see you back moving around. Got a medkit over here if you can find anything useful in it. And what started this, apparently."

Kneeling back down, Tony unpicks the 'trodes from the woman's neck. I don't think this is going to help her any more than it has. "Lady, tell me how to get ahold of Massada. I'll call him and get you some help," he says in the same soft voice used before.
WinterRat1
09:45:14 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevu

Mr. Wong simply smiles at John. "If you are aware of the exclusitivity of this supposed client list, and you believe that I am on this so called list, then you should also be aware that threatening me, if you work for who you say you are, does not make a whole lot of sense. If you wish to tear this place apart looking for something you believe will be helpful to you, neither I nor my wife am in any position to stop you."

He spreads his hand wide, palm up, showing they are empty. Calmly he calls, "Marina dear, please come out of the office, slowly, with your hands up, and make no sudden moves. Please sit next to me and allow these men to do what they wish."

If nothing else, this suit has some serious cool. I can't believe he's so calm about all this John thought.

Slowly walking from the office, hands up and open, showing they are holding nothing, Marina follows her husband's instructions, inching around the outside of the room towards him and the couch where he is seated.

Looking up at John, Mr. Wong says in that same calm voice, "You are in control here, go ahead and do what you came to do."
grendel
13:48:16 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

The woman continues to murmur incoherently, repeating the same plea for "massada" with no change. She seems to have stabilized in the past minutes, but blood continues to leak from beneath the bandages Tony secured to her shoulder.
Scrapheap
09:47:05 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

John didn't know what to make of the suit's attitude, and despite what the guy said he certainly did not feel like they were in control of the situation. He had to assume that the Wongs had help on the way. Why else would they be so calm?

Reaching into his pocket, he removed a silencer and attached in to his Manhunter, his eyes never leaving the Wongs. "Mr. Jones? Why don't you go see if what we need is in the office. Remember, we have a lot of other people to visit today, so time is of the essence. I will keep Mr. and Mrs. Wong company."
Slipshade
09:47:35 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

'Oh hell, I'm going to jail.'

John's reaction both suprised and alarmed him, but he could tell by the look in John's eyes that he had better do as he was told.

Max stood and brushed off his suit before turning back to the Wong's.

"I am sorry things had to turn out this way, but the clinic or someone at the clinic that you went to has taken a friend of mine without her consent along with a number of others. If this were to get out and believe me it will, I will make sure that your name is on the top of the list of those being investigated. Whatever your condition is, doesn't give you the right to hurt others to save yourself."

Having said that he turns to leave and do a quick check of the other rooms.
Scrapheap
09:49:01 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

John watched from the corner of his eye as Max left the room. Reaching into his pocket with his free hand, he pulled out his cigarettes and shook the pack until he could remove one with his mouth. Exchanging the pack for his lighter, he lit the nicostick and took a deep draw. He exhaled a plume of smoke as he replaced the lighter. The Manhunter never wavered.

"Ya know," he said, dropping the coporate veneer from his speech, "he's right. We ain't from the fraggin' Clinic, and we sure as hell don't know the slag on that card. We tried ta do this the nice way, the easy way, and we still can, but one way or the other we need answers. Don't make me show you the hard way...

"You two seem decent enough, so I'll tell you true. We have friends who've been abducted by the Clinic, for what they know or saw. We want them back in the worst way. You answer my questions, and I'll not only play nice, but I'll make sure my friend keeps your name outta the scream-sheets when the drek hits the fan. Understand?

"So, what goes on there? Who runs it? Why were you there? Details and names, as much as you remember."

He took another drag and waited for their answer.
bclements
13:51:19 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

Getting up from his crouch by the moaning woman, Tony walks over to Marquis, carrying the medkit.

Speaking low to his comrade, he says "Chummer, that lady over there is gonna die here in a bit, and I'd suggest that you not be here when she does. Bluff your way past the guards any way you know how. My personal suggestion is to tell them their security sucks hoop, and that you're flying from Portland from now on. That may buy you a couple of minutes to get the frag out of here. Your guns are under your seats, so be careful. If I'm stopped, you don't know me, and keep with the cover. I'll get ahold of you later on," he says, handing Marquis the medkit and walking over to his car.

Stashing the duffel bag and coat in his trunk along with his pistol, and having the name of Massada and Red Queen, and where does that name seem familiar running thru his head, he heads out of the garage in his Americar, seeming like the half stunned tourist he was trying to act like.
WinterRat1
09:50:51 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

Mr. Wong just laughs again. "And of course, if we just answer your questions, you'll let us go free." He shakes his head in amusement. "For someone attempting to play to our sympathies, you have a funny way of trying to convince us you're really trying to help some poor, innocent people," he sneers, sarcasm dripping from his voice.

"Tell me, is it standard operating proceudre for criminals to take as hostages people that they are trying to convince to help them?"
Scrapheap
09:53:02 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

John could not believe how cool this suit was being. This fragger must deal in some high-pressure situations on a daily basis. Course, his wife is at risk too. Maybe they just ain't got nothin' to lose. Maybe they're victims too.

"I may be a 'runner, but I ain't no murderer. This," John holds up the pistol, "Is just ta keep you from doin' anything stupid. And if there's a chance you'd help us without it, I'll gladly put it away. I'd fraggin' prefer it.

"We came in with our lame fraggin' ploy figurin' you two was patients at the clinic, and wouldn't be willin' to help us otherwise. I'm starting to get a sneakin' suspicion that maybe we was wrong. What did the clinic do to you? Or was it even you? Another family member? A child?"
Slipshade
10:15:02 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

Max finishes up his search of the other rooms, being cafeul to put things back where he found them nd returns to the living room.

"I am very sorry for the inconvienence Mr. and Mrs. Wong, but I have to try to find our friends. I don't believe the clinic is above killing people that get in the way of whatever it is they are up too and I don't think our friends have a lot of time left, if they arn't dead already."

He can see by the auras of the two suits that they could likely care less about what happens to himself or Scrap...or Nora or Keira for that matter. They were decieved and are being held hostage and have not reason to trust anything John or he has to say.

He looks at John and says.

"Lets go. Trust can't be built on a lie and we have given them..." He nods towards the Wongs. "...no reason to trust us. We can find them another way...I hope."

grendel
13:54:22 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

Pulling into the exit lane of the parking terminal, Tony is mildly surprised to see a pair of maintenance vehicles parked on the inbound lanes. Half a dozen jumpsuited technicians mill about the automatic parking kiosks that line the entrance to the parking garage. The exit lanes are marked off with blaze orange traffic cones, and Tony is directed to the manual lane. The young attendant on duty scans the barcode on his ticket.

"Sorry for the delay, sir, the automated systems kicked off line but for some reason the failsafe alert didn't go off. We didn't know there was a problem until just fifteen minutes ago when people couldn't get out. Hope you weren't delayed any."

He hands Tony a receipt for the parking fee, then raises the gate to allow the Americar to exit.
bclements
13:57:41 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Seattle, UCAS

"No, no trouble at all," Tony says, externally neutral as he pulls off, but internally puzzled. They don't even know what was going on in there. That decker Todd ran up against must have done the work he thinks, pulling out onto the airport's meandering roadways leading to I-5.

Deciding to check the radio to see if any news from the event managed to get out, he tunes into one of the all-news stations he's preset, hoping to catch the local top-of-the-hour 'cast. And then, a nice, large drink.
grendel
14:10:37 Thursday 11 January 2063 - 15th Avenue East, outside the Unbottled Spirit, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Tony listens to the end of the news cycle, noting several articles of interest, but nothing that remotely resembles the gunfight in the parking garage. One of the stories detailed the discovery of the bodies of two young men in an Everett warehouse. Details were inaccurate, of course, but foul play is suspected. No drek, smirks Tony, turning up the collar of his coat before stepping out into the blustery afternoon wind.
bclements
14:32:14 Thursday 11 January 2063 - 15th Avenue East, The Unbottled Spirit, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Walking into the warm bar out of the chill wind, Tony tries to think thru the headache he still has. Just file the stuff away for now. Think later, you need some medicine

"Hoi there, Tony," Rebecca yells across the unoccupied space, bottle held up. A couple of guys are playing darts in the back, and a group of people in a booth linger over drinks from a late lunch, but apparently not many people in the area subscibed to Tony's 'It's 1700 Somewhere" attitude.

"Hey, just start pouring, I'll tell you when to stop," he says, moving slowly across the floor toward the bar. The ride from the airport had stiffened his muscles, but had cleared his head for a bit.

"Rough day at the office, dear?," Rebecca says smiling, putting a good measure of whiskey into the tumbler.

"Hah, ouch. Don't make me laugh hard Becca," Tony says. A couple of the gels from the parking garage had hit his ribs, and the securitech didn't do much to abade the impact.

"You ok? You need to see a doc or something?" she says lower, some concern beginning to seep into her normally cheery-but-cynical voice.

"No, I'm fine. Nothing this can't cure," Tony says, picking up the glass and sipping the amber liquid.

Putting the bottle back on the rack behind her, Rebecca keeps her voice low. "Well, you know what they say about cures..."

"What's that?" Tony says, taking another sip of whiskey.

"That they're sometimes worse than the disease." Rebecca said, looking at Tony via the mirror behind the bottle-wall.

Keeping his voice low, Tony replied, "Listen Becca, I respect your opinon. I really do, and I think of you as a friend. But, today, I've been shot at, I just found out my ex-girlfriend's in jail, and I'm lucky to be alive. No fraggin' way that bottle is close to that. So I'm gonna drink up." Tony said, draing the rest of the glass.

"Well, I'm not gonna pry. It's just that friends don't like to see other friends drink themselves into oblivion," Rebecca said softly, reaching for the bottle.

"I get 'ya. Right now, though? Oblivion's a pretty good idea." Tony replies softly, looking down at his empty glass.

"So toss me a refill, 'cause I'm having a bad day and I don't wanna think about it. How's your day going?" Tony ends with a smirk. Rebecca shakes her head as she pours another round.
Bastard
13:52:10 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

Not saying too much to Tony, he nods in agreement. Talking would probably hurt his face and the reverb of his own voice would probably amplify his headache. He carries the medkit back to his car, the whole time thinking, "Who the hell is Mufasa."

Before droping the medkit in his trunk, Marquis quickly digs through it, looking for something that may be of help.
WinterRat1
10:17:02 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

At the mention of the word 'child', Mrs. Wong turns, ever so slightly, and looks at her husband. It's obvious from her aura that she's pleading with him, asking him, almost begging him, to come clean, to tell them what he knows. Finally he sighs, and shakes his head while looking at the floor, almost as if to himself. He looks very tired, and very old, in that moment.

After what seems like a long time but is really only a few moments, he looks up and meets their eyes. "You speak of trust, and hope. I need time to think this over and speak with my wife. So I will make you an offer. Your time is short, and the police on their way. We do not have time to have this discussion right now. If you will meet me at a time and place of my choosing, I will tell you what I know, and do my best to assist you, in exchange for your help."

Reaching out, he clasps his wife's hand gently in his own. "Our information in exchange for your ability to do what we cannot. I believe it is a fair trade, and if you are willing to help us, we will do our best to help you." His face hardens then, and his voice grows cold. "And if you are unwilling to help us, despite your own pleas for assistance, then don't waste our time and either pull that trigger or get out."
Scrapheap
10:19:53 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

John gives the couple a grim smile, stands, and holsters the heavy pistol. "No need ta get hard, Mr. Wong. They're gels anyways."

He quickly finds a piece of paper and scribbles his cell number. The Wongs already had Max's card, but no need to let them know that Mr. Jones was actually Mr. Steiner...if they didn't know already. Robert Wong seemed like a very sharp man.

"That's my number. Call whenever you make your choice." Turning to the shaman he adds, "We should slot-n-run, Mr. Jones. We've taken enough of these nice people's time. And they have a lot of thinkin' to do."
Slipshade
10:20:05 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

Max
did not even hesitate to answer.

"Mr. Wong I will do everything in my power to help you. As you may have already guessed and as an offer of trust, I will tell you that my name is Max Steiner and that card I gave you has my cell phone number on it. I know I may not look like the man you once heard speak at the university, but what happened to me is a story for another time, I will leave my fate in your hands, either you can tell your security my name and have me arrested or I can help you, your choice. But in order to make that choice my friend and I need to leave safely. Could you tell me how to get to the parking garage unseen? And does your security have awakened on staff?"
WinterRat1
10:20:55 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

Mr. Wong looks at his wife for a moment, and she nods. Turning back to them, he says, "Both the stairs and the elevators will lead you directly to the parking garage. Although there may be cameras in the stairs, there are almost certainly cameras in the elevators. I'm sorry, I don't usually pay attention to those types of things."

He pauses, then continues, looking at Max. "Good luck making it out. I will call you when my wife and I reach a decision. If nothing else, to give you time to run, Mr. Steiner. I don't know what caused you to fall into a life of crime, but for the man you were, at least, I feel I can do that much."
Slipshade
10:22:18 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

"Thank you Mr. Wong, Mrs.Wong. Maybe when this is over we can sit down and discuss my unfortunate turn of events." He gives the man a weak smile. "But until then I will put my faith and trust in you and your wife and the hope that I can in some way help you and repay our unfortunate visit today."

Before he reaches to the astral realm for help Max informs the Wongs of what he is about to do.

"I must conceal my friend and I and I am going to conjure a spirit to do so. Please do not be worried."

Max sends out his call to the ether and the hearth spirits that reside there.
Scrapheap
10:23:21 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

As Max "called" for some help, John quietly cracked open the front door to check the hallway. A quick scan showed the hallway empty. Shutting the door, but not closing it all of the way, he pulled out his other pistol to attach a silencer to it as well.

That complete, he waited patiently as the shaman finished. Max stood with his eyes closed and arms slightly raised. His lips moved silently. Finally, he opened his eyes and took a deep breath. "I have called on a spirit who has agreed to help hide us from prying eyes while we make our escape. Our concealment will end once we exit the building, but this should help up reach the parking garage unseen."

John simply nodded. Carefully grinding his cigarette out on the heel of his boot, he put the extinguished butt into his jacket pocket. Motioning for Max to follow he turned to leave. Checking the hallway one final time, he opened the door wide and started through, then paused as a thought occurred to him. The old runner turned to the Wongs, still seated on their couch holding hands. His look was serious and haunted. "Sorry again for the deception. You seem like good people. If ya choose to help us; don't worry, we'll do what needs to be done. One of the people we're lookin' for is my niece." That said, he stepped into the hallway, waited for Max to follow, and closed the door without a sound.

Quickly leading the way down the hallway, John moved silently with one hand inside his jacket resting on a pistol grip. Max followed close behind. The two saw no one as the neared the entrance to the stairwell. When they had reached the door, John glanced up and down the hallway before leaning forward to listen, his ear pressed against the cool steel...
Scrapheap
10:25:50 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums, Bellevue

Hearing nothing, John silently opened the door and paused again to look and listen. Still nothing. Quickly clearing the landing, he began to lead the way down the stairs as quickly and quietly as possible, occasionally peering down the center of the stairwell to see if he could spot anything below.
Scrapheap
10:32:07 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums' Parking Garage, Bellevue

John and Max paused at the bottom of the stairway, leaning against the wall to catch their breath. The way down had been tiring and tense, but ultimately uneventful. John idly wondered how much of that was due to pure chance and how much was due to their spiritual aid. Knowin' my fraggin' luck, that spirt must've been workin' his hoop off. He's gotta be as tired as we are! Ah well, we made it this far, now ta get to the fraggin' car.

Max looked up, but said nothing as the old runner pushed off from the wall and made his way over to a steel door marked with a large 'G'. Unlike the other doors leading from the stairwell, this one included a small window, which John now carefully looked through. He remained motionless, watching for any movement, taking full advantage of the vision mods his cybereyes contained. He also carefully noted the positions of the visible security cameras, watching their movements and trying to estimate the areas of coverage and blindspots. Finally satisfied, and with a path mapped out in his mind, he motioned to the shaman to move closer.

"A'ight, chummer. Stick close, and stay low. We're gonna try and stay outta the camera's line of sight. Move through the rows when possible. Got it?"

When Max nodded and took one final deep breath, John waited for the nearest camera to complete it's arc towards them and start to move away before slowly opened the door just enough for them to squeeze through. When he had quietly closed the door behind them, he quickly led Max between the nearest parked cars as they started to make their careful way across the parking garage.
Bastard
13:54:25 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Sea-Tac International Airport, Long Term Parking Terminal, Seattle, UCAS

"Ahhh...I feel much better now," Marq says to himself, plopping into his driver seat. Still quite groggy, he is extremely carefull in backing out his car. His body is damaged enough, no need to make the car match. The car idles its way to the ticket booth where after a quick read of the credstick, the plastic yellow and black striped bar raises. The gold Cadillac rolls through and deliberately picks its way through traffic onto the onramp.
bclements
20:10:18 Thursday 11 January, 2063. Capitol Hill Terrace, Apt 203. Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Tony snaps up, sweating from his sleep despite the cool air blowing over him from the apartment’s air vent, pistol from under his pillow now in his hand ready to fire…at the wall. Blinking rapidly, he tries to clear his head, still foggy from a semi-hangover and quick awakening from deep sleep ( or am I still drunk?) He only remembered fragments from his dreams of a few hours sleep..

his mother, bringing him breakfast when he stayed home on the weekends, only with red cybereyes instead of their normal bright green. “Honey, did you hear from Massada yet?” Suddenly, back in the parking garage, but with Andie instead of the red-eyed woman, bleeding from her wounds, pleading to carry her out. “But I can’t,” Tony said softly. “The ‘Star’s out there. Bringing you out...” “Help me!” Then she’s gone; turning around, he sees the entire firefight replay in his head, straining at his inability to help someone that needed it..”

Shaking his head and putting the gun on the nightstand and thank God that cleaning drone didn’t come by, still not sure that he wasn’t dreaming, he stumbled to his kitchen to get some water. Even after a half bottle of bourbon and Rebecca’s fawning disapproval, dreamless oblivion hadn’t been easy to come by. Chugging a glass of water, still blinking off afterimages of his dream, he heads to the shower to wake himself up.

20 minutes, a cool shower, and a shave later, Tony’s at least functional, if not still a little woozy and sore, both from the alcohol-induced headache and from the now purplish bruises that stitched a line across his chest. Dressing in a robe, he pads his way back to his kitchen for something to eat. While heating up an older nuke-and-eat meal to cure some of his sudden homesickness from his dream, he leans against the kitchen counter, absently watching the microwave’s countdown while thinking about the day’s events. I’ve heard Red Queen a couple of times before. Now Massada, and those guys from the warehouse being found. Hotter-than-drek decker kicking off Todd, and doing so good of a job that Sea-Tac didn’t know anything was wrong... The beeping from his microwave interrupted his thoughts.

Getting his meal and making himself a cup of that god-awful soykaf he for some reason kept around, he ate his meal on his couch, while shooting off an email to Todd:

CODE

Still on to meet? Let’s make it a half hour later than we talked about. Same place as this morning?
-Tony

That taken care of, he flips around the news channels, and leisurely eats his meal. Maybe it was just the bitter, awful taste of the almost-black liquid, but the soykaf did help wake him up fully while he watched the images and made some notes on his psec. Almost like I'm in a meeting with the accountants again he thought, smirking at the imagery.
WinterRat1
10:33:19 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums' Parking Garage, Bellevue

John's heart almost stops when he sees the pair of Lone Star cops who are combing the garage looking right at him, but it's like they can't even see him...

Must be that spirit Max summoned up. Handy guys to have around, those wizworms...

Still moving silently, unsure if the guards can hear them, even if they can't see them, the two of them make it to their car undetected by the cops, who are still looking around the garage.

Wonder if there's more of them street level? immediately flashes through both their minds.
Scrapheap
10:38:43 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums' Parking Garage, Bellevue

Sliding into Max's gleaming Westwind with a sigh, both men carefully close the doors and glance at each other.

"Well, we made it. What do we do now, John?"

Slouched down in his seat, John used the controls on the center console to adjust the passenger-side mirror so that he had a better view of the garage. He then adjusted the rear-view in the same fashion. "Well, even if we managed ta get past the flat-foots in the garage, and somehow made it past the fraggin' security gate, we'd lose the spirit when we left the garage. Right?"

"Yes, that is correct. We would lose the aid of the hearth spirit as soon as we left its domain. Which in turn would leave us exposed to any Lone Star patrolmen stationed outside the building."

"Yeah, I thought the same fraggin' thing. I guess we just gotta wait. See if the pigs leave. If they don't, or they take too long, we'll figure somethin' else out."

Nodding once in agreement, Max slid down in the driver's seat, mimicking John's posture, and both men settled in to wait.
Slipshade
10:38:52 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums' Parking Garage, Bellevue

"When we leave, lets have you drive out and I will keep myself concealed with the spirit until we clear the building. It is likely that the security officer at the gate will only remember there being two of us in the car and I am sure my looks caught his attention. A human driving a Westwind out of here shouldn't raise any eyebrows."
The_Eyes
09:37:24 Thursday 11 January - Unit 303, Winlock Apartment Complex, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Eyes jacked out and cricked his neck tiredly. The resulting pops in his joints made him surprised his head didn't tumble into his lap; he had only been in the Matrix about an hour but his body felt like it hadn't moved in weeks. Ugh, I've really got to get out more, he thought for the umpteenth time, stumbling to his feet to nuke the life back into his forgotten breakfast.

"Nothing," he muttered to himself as he scratched his unshaven chin. "The place is so obviously a front that it might not be one at all. No cameras, no terminals; the company didn't even have a mission statement. The place'll probably be empty except for some other cryptic clue stashed in a corner or something."

Jane popped her head up on the nearby display. "But what else are you going to do? Sit around all day glued to a screen?"

Eyes chuckled. "Well that is a possibility, you know," he joked, "It just, well, it doesn't really feel like we're following clues, or investigating, or really doing anything that'll lead to Casimir's killers. It seems more like we're playing one of those random games of fetch you see in old computer RPGs: 'Give the dog a bone and he'll dig up a key for you,' that sort of thing.

"We're no closer to a suspect today than we were before we were even hired. Or a motive, really; this chip might be one, but we don't know what it is." Eyes retrieved his bowl from the microwave and sat back down, taking a careful bite of the hot congee. "Hm. It's not like we have any other leads, though," he mused.

Really, he wondered, what did he know about this Casimir guy, anyway? He was a brilliant AI programmer; he was supposedly retired, though his friends seem to think he was still a player; he liked chess, or at least hanging out at a chess club; he was an active poster on Shadowland, by the name of... what was it again?

Eyes idly tapped a few keys on a nearby computer, the display coming to life in front of him. He leaned forward suddenly, his eyes catching a post made earlier that week. Well, he thought with a sudden smile, Now that looks like an actual lead.
Scrapheap
10:40:21 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums' Parking Garage, Bellevue

John nodded absently at the shaman's suggestion. Not that it wasn't a good idea, but he was busy tracking the progress of the Lone Star cops as they made their way around the garage again. He watched as they reached the end of a row, seemingly the end of their search.

As the two walked back towards the entrance, John could see that one was obviously reporting their progress via a subdermal mike or something attached to his patrol-armor; he couldn't tell from this distance and angle. The guy was doing a lot of nodding and so forth, plainly listening to orders. Finally they stopped walked and looked at each other. One shrugged and they both turned back towards the far end of the garage to make another pass.

"Frag." The old runner mumbled, wondering if he would make his noon meet.

"What is it? Are they coming this way?" Max leaned over to look at the driver's side mirror.

"Naw, but it looks like it'll be a while. They just started another fraggin' pass."

11:29:19 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Skylight Towers Condominiums' Parking Garage, Bellevue

John tapped the ignition, grinning slightly as the Westwind's instrument panel came online. He'd owned one himself, a blue '53, but that was a lifetime ago. He shifted around, trying to get comfortable in Max's overcoat. He missed the reassuring bulk of his armored jacket, but the shaman had wisely suggested that it would look more believable if he wore the stylish overcoat as opposed to his plain and worn armored jacket. At least this way, maybe the fraggin' guard won't think I stole the damned car. Carefully backing out of the space, he then drove through the rows of cars towards exit and the street.

Lone Star had only left about 10 minutes earlier. The two officers had searched the garage 2 more times, checking under and between cars, stopping anyone entering and exiting. The only really tense moment had come when one of them had approached the Westwind and shone his flashlight through the rear window. Once again the Max's spirit had saved them, as the cop had only paused briefly before moving to the next car.

As they approached the gate, John took out a Manhunter, placing it in between the driver's seat and the center console. He then rolled down the window as he stopped by the guard's booth. The female guard slid open her window and smiling said, "Hello, sir. Exciting morning."

Nodding toward's the gate he said, "Sorry to be rude, but I am late for a meeting..."

Her smile became forced. "No need to apologize. Have a good day, sir. Drive carefully."

11:34:56 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Stuffer Shak #3987, Parking Lot, Bellevue

John lit a cigarette and watched as Max buttoned his overcoat. "Well, that certainly was exciting. What now, John? Do we just wait for the Wong's call?"

"Not a lot else we can do, Max. I'm gonna call my chummer Finn. See if he and Iris have come up with anything. See if he'll check into the Wong's a little deeper. Uh, I also need a favor if you got time? I got that meet in about 20 minutes. I don't think there's time ta go back to your place for the van. Think you could give me a ride?"
grendel
20:35:21 Thursday 11 January, 2063. Capitol Hill Terrace, Apt 203. Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Tony is almost finished with his food when the trid chuckles to itself, logging a reply to the message sent earlier.

CODE
Tony-
I'm headed out of town indefinately.  Don't sweat, omae, the trouble is unrelated to our business.  Thanx for all your help.  If you still need a console cowboy, get in touch with a friend of mine, goes by the name of Ran.  Here's her LTG number:  2209-120-1046
Slipshade
11:36:23 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Stuffer Shak #3987, Parking Lot, Bellevue

"Sure, no problem." Max says as he turns his cell phone back on. "I am just waiting on phone calls anyway. I am going to head home for a while after I drop you off, so give me a call when you are done. We can figure out where to go from there. I am supposed to leave town tomorrow morning, but I may have to cancel my business trip if we can't find Nora and Keira soon.
bclements
21:08:21 Thursday 11 January, 2063. Capitol Hill Terrace, Apt 203. Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Well kid, hope out of town treats you better than here. Still need to get you a skateboard, though Tony thought to himself as he read the email.

Tony sat there and debated with himself for a bit about what to do next. Making a mental list: what exactly he wanted to do with Todd's initiative, now that he was involved in it and the kid seemed so adamant about it; finding out about whoever this Massada was and telling him about his almost-surely-now-dead female friend from the garage, same with Red Queen, whose name had already come up twice in connection to dead or near dead people; Andie's fate in jail and how to do something about it; and what the hell is Ricky doing running guns in Atlanta for? He always said he hated that town; and whether or not to call Zedya for more work. And getting a bit more worried about Marquis, who he hadn't heard from since the garage.

In the end, practicality won out, after half an hour of debating. Resurfacing from his own private world to some blathering from a weatherman saying something about a warming tread this weekend, Tony had a plan. Todd's 'thing' isn't mine, and if he's after another cyberdeck or drek like that, it's of little use to me. I'm in no real shape, physical or financial, to bust Andie out, and Ricky can take care of himself for a bit. And I'm in no shape to call Zedya for more work just yet he thought to himself, feeling bruises that still hurt a bit.

Running loose ends down isn't fun, but at least I've got the tools to do it with he ended, placing a call to Ran's LTG number.

"Ran, my name is Tony. Got your number from a chummer of mine named Todd. Need you for a little job..."
grendel
21:08:24 Thursday 11 January, 2063. Capitol Hill Terrace, Apt 203. Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

The voice on the other end of the line is soft and female, something that Tony hadn't expected, especially from a friend of Todd's.

"Yeah, he mentioned you might be calling, something about info searches? Look, not to be a pain, but I'm kinda busy now. I've got a friend who could help you out, though. You want a face to face or are you comfy with a virtual meet?"
bclements
21:08:26 Thursday 11 January, 2063. Capitol Hill Terrace, Apt 203. Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

"You got it. Face to face preferably, I'm no good in y'alls world," Tony says, still mildly surprised but recovering his composure quickly.
grendel
21:08:29 Thursday 11 January, 2063. Johnson Hall Basement, Room 4G, University of Washington: Seattle, Seattle, UCAS

"Null sweat. Bluefish. Midnight. Come alone. We'll find you."

Ran dropped the telecom connection, shaking her head irritably at Zee's questioning look. Hot-swapping, she routed a call to Eyes.

"I know you've got nothing planned for tonight so meet me at Bluefish at eleven thirty. I've got someone who needs your services and wants a face to face meet."
Scrapheap
11:58:48 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Corner of Elliot Avenue West and West Harrison, Downtown Seattle

Standing next to the idling car, John leaned down, arm resting on the low roof. "Thanks again, chummer. I'll call when I'm done, but I'm gonna try ta find my own way back to yer doss. No reason to drag you back out in this fraggin' weather. You call me if you hear anything."

"Sure thing, John. Best of luck and talk to you soon." After the door was closed, Max shifted into gear and pulled carefully away from the curb. John lit a cigarette as he watched the shaman drive off. Then, settling the strap of his canvas satchel more comfortably over his shoulder, he stuck his hands into his jacket pockets and hurried up the block to the restaurant.

As he opened the door to Lee Chee Garden to the jingle of the bells hanging from the handle, John immediately scanned the interior, noting the positions of the other patrons, the staff, exits, anything that could give him an advantage. Finally, his gaze settled on Cheryl Lin, the fixer Finn had introduced him to as he tried to step back into the shadows. The athletic-looking chinese woman gave him a short nod as he spotted her, so he slowly crossed the dining room and stood before her table.

He flashed her a half-grin. "This seat taken?"
bclements
22:58:15 Thursday 11 January, 2063. Capitol Hill Terrace, Apt 203. Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Bluefish? Tony thinks as the call disconnects, while trying to place the name of the establishment. Looking it up quickly, he notices it. Yeah. Raver place down in Tacoma. he remebers vaguely from some advert last week, putting the address into his psec. Then, trying to put his mind into neutral, he dozes off for a bit under the watchful eye of the news ticker on the trideo.

Rousing himself, and after getting dressed into something decently stylish for the outing and lugging his arsenal back up to his apartment, he sets off for Tacoma, remembering to hit up an ATM for some backup cash.
WinterRat1
12:00:00 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Lee Chee Garden Downtown Seattle

Smiling up at him, she motioned for him to sit. "John, you're looking well. How's life been treating you?" They exchanged small talk for a few minutes, allowing the waiter to come by and bring some tea and take their orders before getting down to serious biz. Opening the conversation, Cheryl took a sip of tea and began, "Well John, I've got word there's a team putting some action together, and they need some muscle. Word I get is that it's a small team, but a big job, and they need an experienced gun in case things go wrong fast. Think you're interested?"
Bastard
13:42.03 Thursday 11 January 2063 - Hidden Oaks Condos, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Marquis digs through the freezer to recover a half filled ice tray. With a little twist the ice cubes crack and pop out of their seats and onto the counter, where a handtowel awaits their arrival. After refilling the rack with water, it is placed in the freezer, and Marq's recovery can begin. A few pieces of ice found their way into a lowball glass filled with Jack and Classic Coke (aka Soyless Coke), so he takes a small swig as he uses the other hand to hold the icepack to his cheek.

The couch seems to be comfortable enough and Marquis rests there with his ice and drink. Finding the remote in the middle of his back is actually good news, now he doesnt have to get up to find it. The radio powers on and is tuned into the Earnie and the Troll Show. After a couple more drinks, the glass finds itself sitting on the floor, filled with just a few half melted ice cubes.
The_Eyes
09:51:25 Thursday 11 January - Unit 303, Winlock Apartment Complex, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Message sent, Eyes sat back and pondered his next moves. Sleazing his way into that office building was a definite possibility, but it wasn't going to happen until Friday night at least, when there'll be fewer guards and public eyes around. Anyway, that whole place seemed too much like a plant for it to really lead anywhere; the address just happening to show up in a "forgotten" part of the wiped server just smacked of a set-up, and Eyes wasn't interested in following a planted trail, no matter where it led.

And besides, it was far past time for a break. Eyes shrugged and cast about for something to do.

21:08:35 Thursday 11 January - Marukai Marketplace, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

"I know you've got nothing planned for tonight so meet me at Bluefish at eleven thirty. I've got someone who needs your services and wants a face to face meet."

Eyes snickered. "Well since you asked so nicely," he replied wryly, "I'll see what I can do."
grendel
23:22:41 Thursday 11 January, 2063 - Bluefish, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

It's just a regular club night at Bluefish tonight, nothing special about the DJ spinning hard electronica, or the crowd gathered around the entrance. This time, only a solitary Strato-9 orbited overhead to keep a lid on. Tony scanned across the surrounding area again for signs of surveillance. Nothing but darkened buildings, businesses closed for the day, silent warehouses full of transient goods, and parked cars. With a sigh, Tony settled his coat around his shoulders, checked his gear again, and headed across the street.
bclements
23:28:27 Thursday 11 January, 2063 - Bluefish, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Tony got into the line to get into the club, but the wait was thankfully short. More kids, great. I'm gonna get an age complex if this keeps up he thought to himself as he waited behind a group of barely-in-high-school kids that made him feel a lot older than he really was. Not like you wouldn't have been here at their age. Getting his 'yeah, you really are old enough to drink' handstamp, he walked in.

The age difference was more apparent inside the club, he noticed as he walked through the door and was assaulted by the high-intensity synthesized sound. While not really minding the...ambiance, he was a little out of his element in the cavernous, well populated area; smaller, slightly seeder gems like the Landing or the Spirit where more his venue. Glancing around in confusion and almost sensory-overload for a bit at the scene, he nearly was ran over by the next group of teenagers coming in after him, eager to get on the dancefloor. Getting quickly out of the way and taking a moment to acclimate himself to the strobing lights and pounding music, he looked around the converted warehouse.

Well, you actually can at least get a drink here... he thought, as he saw the upper section's bar while glancing around. Passing between the cadre of bouncers at the foot of the staircase with an outstretched hand and a light-wand, he moved up the see-thru stairs to the bar level.

Up here, the strobes and colored lights weren't as apparent, more drowned out by the neon blue coming from tubes under the bartop and some overhead UV's, and the sound abated to a more comfortable level. Sitting down at a stool at the uncrowded long bar, Tony was slightly dismayed at the poor selection of whiskey on hand. Shaking his head slightly, he orders a gin and tonic, not his favorite drink, but you really can't screw it up he thinks, and swivels around in his seat, looking for whoever he was supposed to meet.
Scrapheap
12:11:03 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Lee Chee Garden Downtown Seattle

Interested? Frag yeah, I'm interested. I hadda fraggin' count the loose change in my pocket ta see what I could afford to order. How's that sound for interested?

That was the first thought that occurred to the old runner, though John resisted the urge to say it aloud and kept his professional composure. Covering his hesitation, he took a few sips of the steaming tea before answering.

Maybe it was the recent memory of the meeting with the Wongs, or maybe it was whole Nora/Keira search still hanging over his head. Hell, maybe it was just Max starting to rub off on him, but John decided that the best option here was honesty. Setting his cup aside, he took a deep breath, looked Cheryl in the eye and began.

"Yeah, I'm interested, Cheryl. It's just that there's some personal drek I'm tryin' ta take care of first. I know that you was doin' Finn a favor, gettin me work, at least at the start. I appreciate it, but I also like ta think that I've proved my worth over the last year or so; shown that I can do good work."

The fixer's eyes had narrowed as he spoke, and she gave him a shrewd look as she said, "You have John, and yes, you do good work. I have to ask though, and forgive me for being blunt, but what kind of 'personal business?' You haven't started drinking again have you?"

The old runner felt his face redden slightly, though he really wasn't surprised by the question. He knew that Finn wouldn't have mentioned his drinking problem to Cheryl Lin, but he also knew that the fixer was a real pro and it made perfect sense for her to run a background on him. 'John Standard' had only been around for a couple of years though, which made him wonder what else she knew about him and his past.

"Nah, Cheryl. It ain't like that. It's my niece. I got back from that last job (thanks again, by the way) ta find that she's missin' and has been for over a week. Seems that she and a chummer got caught up in some fraggin' deal with a medical clinic in Redmond. Saw somethin' someone didn't want 'em to, she got caught and the chummer got away. I been lookin' for her since. Got a couple leads. Just tryin' to run those out."

He paused as the waiter brought their food to the table. John looked longingly at the fixer's dish, which appeared to have real meat in it, as his own bowl of fried rice was plopped unceremoniously in front of him. He stirred absently at the rice, veggies, and chunks of soy until the waiter withdrew.

"So yeah, I'm interested. You know I could use the fraggin' cred. I just need to know more, like the when and where, before I can commit. What's the pay like? Any upfront? Any details on the team? 'Course, you tell me so and I'll walk away. I know that I reflect on you when you send me on a job, so I never want ta make you look bad. Yer rep's safe with me."

John stirred his dish again before he brought the chopsticks to his mouth and took a bite. Cheryl was looking at her own dish, though he knew she'd have heard every word. He also knew he was taking a risk, not just for this job, but with his entire business relationship with the fixer. Her street-rep was her life and her lively-hood. She couldn't afford to have it compromised.

They continued to eat in silence as he waited anxiously for her to respond.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012