Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
Sedna
01:00:04 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 - A Warehouse in the Barrens

"I'm with him," she hissed at Nora, shoving her arm against the girl's mouth to quickly stifle the scream and physically start her and Lady Dove moving toward the stairway. "Don't distract him. He knows what he's doing. He needs you to get out of here." It was obvious the girl was in no condition to do anything on her own. Focus the girl on his need then, anything Alleycat could to get her moving before the window of opportunity closed.

Before, unnoticed, she'd taken the opportunity to identify the various sources of fire; no amount of confusion could shake her continuing mobile awareness of them now. She'd marked escape routes from the moment escape suddenly became possible again, even before she'd managed to work her way close to Lady Dove. Several were gone now, but for now the barrier was gone and the northeast exit was still open, covered by Blaze and another she didn't know. Let those two keep right on covering, while she worked on staying as inconspicuous a target as possible. She'd have to abandon the high ground, but then she'd always known that would be necessary eventually. Even as she re-assessed a sharp gasp drew her attention to a jagged shard of pain, another ally fallen? no, but certainly hurt. The man covering him and the badly injured Cao Jaan was struggling, but for now managing well enough. He had his charges, Alleycat had hers.

Something loose at her foot. Briefly she considered throwing it, realised just as quickly she'd be as likely to hit Scrapheap as distract his opponent. An internal snarl: no nearby weapons to grab, still no armour, and she knew that in grabbing the girl she'd lost much of what had protected her earlier. She'd been in worse before, wouldn't even have been an issue, but now there were these two she'd taken under her care.

Dared she try to catch Scrapheap's attention? even to try to communicate she was on his side? She settled for a variant of the non-threatening slump that had gotten her overlooked by three separate bands of combatants including one who had run right past her, hoping that would be enough not to mark her as a target for one of those Manhunters -- but ready to dodge and pull the other two clear, just the same. Too late to pull the other two into her kind of obscurity, but maybe at least she could keep them from standing out like beacons. "Lady Dove, if you know any concealment-type spells, now would be the time."
Sedna
Some days earlier - A Warehouse in the Barrens

Alleycat forced herself not to stare at the barrier. Her current persona would never even have realised it existed.

So many shifts, so many different guises, but at last Alleycat had caught the scent of her quarry, had patiently tracked it into the Barrens and finally to this warehouse. In this shelter, perhaps, hid the woman who was so dear to Blaze.

If it was indeed her. If she even remembered. Or cared.

No matter. As soon as Alleycat could catch something solid of her, she could pass it on to Blaze. Let him determine the truth of it, let him determine what to do with it. She had a run to organise.

Easy enough to strip down to too-worn clothes and slip in as just another transient. She’d kept her head low -- wise, in the Barrens, utterly necessary for someone venturing in without armour or knife or pistol -- and in the shelter she'd stayed even lower. Just another lost soul, thank you Mr. Cao Jaan sir, take full advantage of what passed for food in this place while she searched and never once let it be guessed she was searching. Eyes there were aplenty to see, and the woman she sought would be Awakened besides. Who knew how she might react to an unlooked-for hunter?

As she spooned the tasteless soy into her mouth, she listened to the tight conversation in the office. For all her care she could catch no more than snatches: an Awakened newcomer, some kind of knight, hired to guard the shelter, why? She couldn't make it out. For all she knew, it hadn't been said. More here than met the eye, certainly -- but none of it relevant to her hunt. Where was the woman? No communication, Sivalius' card burning a hole in its locker, and the fragging run breathing down her neck. No phone, no jack, no time. Only phone in the whole fragging place locked away in the office, wasn't like she could bring her own in without raising questions. Frag, she hated working under this kind of stupidity. Money would solve so very much and she'd get it, no question, but she didn't have it now, and so she was stuck trying to pull together a run that had the feel of being doomed before it started. And here she was of her own free will, trying to track down a woman important to her only shadow contact, who had the feel of someone who would die for her once she had his trust. Maybe that would be useful at some point. Maybe it wouldn't.

Almost, she shrugged. After all, what was the difference?

She'd just about decided to give it up for now, pick up the trail next day when she caught the cultured tones of someone whose speech had not been educated in any Barrens. Yes, her -- finally. Lady Dove? The name didn't match, but names meant little. The accent -- maybe. Enough similarities, anyway, for her not to dismiss the find out of hand. Now, something, anything that could act as a material link, maybe a loose thread of that long, soft hair, and --

No disbelief in her, trying not to stare at the barrier suddenly locking her in. Of course, security. Common sense. First thing anyone would do. She'd have done the same thing, probably.

Trapped.

Alleycat gave a small sigh, swallowed the soy, and prepared to settle in for the duration.
Slipshade
01:00:07 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 - A Warehouse in the Barrens

Max wasn't sure what had happened. He had been running towards an exit one second and the next he was pitched sideways as pain exploded from his shoulder. A spray of blood speckled his white face and pale hair.

Max half rolled and half slid to a stop on the floor, his hand instictually reached up to clutch his shoulder but winced at the damage and pulled it away ever so slightly to see the glistening of blood against his black gloves. He knew he was a sitting duck out hear in the open and called to the spirit he had summoned earlier that night to help hide him. He could see and feel the city incarnate encircle him.

Max struggled to his feet and still clutching at his arm, once again made for safety.
WinterRat1
10:29:03 Thursday, 11 January 2063, Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

Detectives Fox and Morris each slide Lana a business card with their information on it.

"OK sweetie, you're free to go, please contact us if there's anything we can do to help you," Detective Fox says as they rise to usher Lana out of the room.

Detective Morris opens the door for Lana and motions for her to go first. "We'll be in touch as soon as we know anything." Suddenly a thought occurs to him, and he adds, "Actually, I don't think we have your number. Give us a number we can reach you at and then I think we can wrap up this discussion for now." He pulls out a datapad and waits expectantly for Lana's reply.
Vegas
10:29:43 Thursday, 11 January 2063, Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

She quickly pocketed the offered business cards after a quick glance to each of them before she rose to her feet and nodded to Detective Fox.

"Thank you very much for your kindness."

She was almost free and clear until the tiniest of details stopped her in her tracks. A stupid phone number. She hardly had taken the time to ferret out the one attached to the phone Niki had left for her, assuming she could even do so. She wasn't about to give either Kat's or Aidan's as they wouldn't take to kindly to her giving up their relative privacy to the cops. She reached in her pocket of her jeans and pulled out her old phone and offered it to the cops showing it's "No Signal" reading across the screen.

"I guess before all this happened my sister didn't pay the bill on time. I don't have a number you can reach me at because of it. Can I check in with you on a regular basis? Unless you have a better solution."
grendel
08:35:47 Sunday 14, January 2063 – Outside “The Bakery�, Renton, Seattle, UCAS

Sascha laughs without humor, blowing a long thin stream of smoke towards the ceiling.

"Don't get your pretty panties all in a bunch. I've smoothed it over with the Foreman on the job site. Show up tomorrow morning at eight and he'll let you in, no questions asked. If anyone hassles you, just tell 'em I sent ya."

The slim Russian gangster stubs out the butt of his cigarette in the ashtray.

"Now get out of my office."
bclements
21:02:19 Wednesday, 10 January 2063- Outside the Sundowner Tavern, 14640 58th Ave S. Seattle, UCAS

"Don't know him" Isir said in his lightly accented English, catching him out of the corner of his eye, carefully trying not to look at him while absorbing the details of the homeless man . "Probably just some bum. The soycaf's cheap here, but I can't say I've seen him before."

"As for how controlled? I'd like to tell you just to smack him over the head with one of those hands and be done with it, but he's a lot tougher than he looks; that won't work without really hurting him. I and my team don't want that. We need him hale and hearty at 1800 on Friday."

Isir continued softly, not looking at Leo, but gazing out at the other bums by the fire down the street. "He's pretty slippery so keep him in sight at all times, and don't be scared of him either. And I wasn't joking when I said there are people out looking for him: nuyen.gif 50,000 isn't a small amount, even to a Vory guy. Some...people are bound to come out of the drek to turn him in."

"As for payment," Isir finished, pulling out a rag-wrapped bundle out of his coat "I was instructed to give you this." This, Isir showed by briefly unwrapping the oilstained rags, was a Predator III, 3 clips, and a credstick. Passing over the parcel, Isir added "The gun's smartlinked, and Sheri worked on it. It's pretty new, and clean. 1 clip of gels, 2 clips of standard ammo. The stick's got nuyen.gif 500 on it." Isir pulled out a cigarette, and lit it with a chrome, old-fashioned lighter. "Want one?" he asked.
bclements
10:39:57 Sunday 14 January 2063 - The Green Papaya, 600 East Pine St, Seattle, UCAS

"Ya, I kin do dat. If'n you should want, I know a'few people dat might take the bit'o'bait dat he's laid out. Man's always on, meebe we coordinate dis? Say, later tonight?"
grendel
10:40:26 Sunday 14 January 2063 - The Green Papaya, 600 East Pine St, Seattle, UCAS

Vedic nods.

"Whatever you can acquire, keep in mind we're on a very limited budget here. Midnight. The Aquarium shop."

The slim elf stood, finished with his meal.

"Anything comes up, you've got my number. Don't worry about lunch."

Vedic slid his credstick through the reader, nodding at the hostess' polite comments. One of the mints from the dish on the maitre d' stand made its way into his mouth as he scanned through the windows into the street outside. Once clear, he moved quickly to his vehicle.

Places to go, things to do, people to..? Yes, people, too.
Scrapheap

Scrapheap threw his arms up and skipped back, just out of reach of the katana's vicious downward arc. He could feel the tip scrape down his armored jacket as he moved back and to the side. Half expecting to feel a red-hot flash of pain any second, the old runner continued to duck and weave and feint along with his skilled opponent.

Out of the corner of his eye, he could see one of the shelter's patrons begin to herd Lady Dove and Nora towards the stairway. Before he could even think about what that might mean, the swordsman thrust the katana towards him with a quick step forward.

Scrapheap quickly twisted his body aside and stepped forward himself, bringing the Manhunter held in his hand in line with the swordman's torso. The battered pistol roared, as the veteran squeezed off two quick shots. The muzzle flash briefly illuminating his lined face.
Mister Juan
08:35:59 Sunday 14, January 2063 – “The Bakery�, Renton, Seattle, UCAS

Cigarette stilll stuck to the corner of her mouth, Ludmilla felt her teeth grind against each other, as he jaw clentched itself instinctively.

The sole of her boots scrapped one the floor as she dragged them close to her body, pushing herself out of the chair and unto her feet. Shoving both hands in her jacket's pocket, casually, she walked to the office's door, briefly stopping by to give Lev a good forced smile.

"I'll call you when I'm done" threw the woman in russian, over her shoulder.

And with that, she left Sascha and his croonies behind.
WinterRat1
08:09:13 Monday, January 8, 2063 - Dragon's Basic Safehouse

After getting off the phone with Erebus, Dragon headed back to one of his safehouses, the lower security 'basic' safehouse, as opposed to say, his 'break glass in case of emergency' one.

Once there, he carefully field stripped and cleaned his weapons and reloaded them, making extra certain they were in good working order. With all the mileage he'd gotten out of them in the past few days, he wasn't taking any chances.

After they were prepared to his satisfaction, he realized he was going to need some sleep. It had been a long stretch of time since he'd had a good rest, and who knew when he'd be able to catch some shuteye again? A good soldier learned to rest whenever he had the chance, because he never knew when he'd get the opportunity again. Setting his alarm, he stretched out on the couch and closed his eyes, falling fast asleep.

11:25:17 Monday, January 8, 2063 - Parking Garage of Aurora Village Shopping Center

Dragon checked the trunk one last time, making sure his duffel bag was buried under a blanket and several other random items that had been in Juliette's trunk. Before he left the safehouse, he'd stashed the submachine gun and some grenades in the duffel bag, just in case. He planned on transferring it to Erebus's car later, but he didn't want to risk bringing it in the mall. Recent events being what they were, he wanted to have something heavier than the Predators if the drek hit the fan...again.

He'd parked in an inconspicuous location and hidden the bag carefully in the trunk. It should be fine until he could transfer it, he reasoned. After the meeting he'd call Virgil and tell him where to pick the car up. Double checking to be sure he'd locked the doors, he pocketed the keys, closed the trunk and walked into the mall.

11:55:17 Monday, January 8, 2063 - Aurora Village Shopping Center Food Court

Upon arriving at the inside of the mall, Dragon had walked the mall and observed the food court from every angle possible, scanning the crowds at all levels to make sure there were no probable threats lurking. Unfortunately, it was impossible for him to fully scan the area without astral backup, another problem he'd have to remedy. But to the best of his knowledge, the food court was reasonably safe for now.

Ordering himself a meal twenty minutes before the meet time, he'd finished it in ten and settled in, sipping his drink absently while continuing to scan the area. At 11:55:30, Sybersnake approached his table. Apparently she'd done some shopping at the mall for some new clothes, because she looked more like she usually did. Dressed in her typical street trendy look that didn't draw attention to herself, Dragon had long ago noticed once you actually started paying attention, you couldn't help but observe that her outfit was extremely flattering to her figure.

Rising to his feet, he pulled a chair out for her to sit down. She gave him a bemused smile as she accepted the seat. "Chivalry, Dragon?" she asked teasingly.

"You know me, always a charmer," he answered dryly.

"Right." Her tone conveyed a sardonic skepticism that was more in line with how she usually carried herself, which told him she was closer to functioning like she normally did, a good thing. She'd been out of sorts since this whole mess started, and she needed to get her game face back on if they were going to get out of this, especially now that he was running without Daedalus and Virgil.

"So what happened to the other two? And who's this guy you have backing you up now?" She wasted no time in cutting to business, calm and professional. Another good sign.

"Long story short, Daedalus got jacked coming to Seattle, and some of his stuff got impounded by the Star. Until he gets it back, he's functioning at a competitive disadvantage, which he cannot afford right now. He's working on getting his gear back and running at full capacity again. Virgil is juggling another obligation with this one, and he needs to follow up on it personally so we don't get too far behind on the timetable for that."

He spreads his hands and leans back in his chair. "And that leaves yours truly to back you up. As for the guy I'm bringing in, circumstances caused us to encounter him in a real fragged up situation. He conducted himself with professionalism and resourcefulness, a real asset in this kind of situation. Plus, I get the feeling he's eager, maybe too eager, if you catch my drift, to get set up here in Seattle."

"He's running from something you think?" Sybersnake asked, clearly nervous at the prospect of additional complications getting introduced into an already ugly situation.

"Aren't we all? At least I met this guy face to face already, had a chance to work with him a little, get into a few scrapes, see his moves, see how he acts and conducts himself. I'm confident he can take care of his own biz while dealing with this one."

She still looked a little nervous, so Dragon leaned forward and smiled reassuringly. "Don't worry, I wouldn't have asked him to come if I didn't think he'd be an asset. If what I saw of him earlier is any indication, he'll be fine. Speaking of that..."

He shot a pointed glance over the decker's shoulder as he spotted the elf approaching, hands at his sides in a nonthreatening posture as he approached their table. Standing as the young elf approached, Dragon said simply, "Erebus, this is Sybersnake. Sybersnake, meet Erebus."

The two of them exchanged polite greetings, then seated themselves. Turning to Sybersnake, Dragon said, "OK, now that we're here, why don't you catch Erebus up on the basic premise of the situation. If he wants in, you can fill him in on the details and lead into an update on where we stand now. From there, we'll figure out what to do next."

Introduction over, the mercenary leaned back to give the sense of open space over the table for the discussion. His tone was all business, any trace of familiarity or friendship with Sybersnake gone. He still wasn't ready to reveal the true depth of his relationship with the decker to Erebus yet, and besides, this wasn't the time or place. They were on the clock again, and that meant it was time to be a professional and get back to work.
WinterRat1

Firing the Manhunter at point blank range as he did, the shots should have smashed into his assailant's torso and cored him front to back. At the least, they should have knocked him back or even flat on his hoop.

All of those scenarios presumed that the shots actually hit their target, of course. A very reasonable assumption, given the circumstances. Then again, everyone knows the old saying about assumptions and where they'll get you.

Scrapheap's eyes widened as somehow, some way, his attacker managed to sidestep and twist his body to avoid the shots, seemingly with ease. Almost without losing a beat, his opponent was right back on the offensive, coolly slashing and thrusting as Scrapheap moved frantically to avoid his foe's whirling blade.

His foe slashed at his head, and John ducked it easily, maybe too easily. Thus he was ready for the follow-up kick to the face and blocked it easily, crossing his arms in front of his face. Suddenly he saw his opponent break into a grin and realized that when his foe had kicked, the man had dropped his sword low to his side, and it was now underneath Scrapheap's guard. It then dawned on him the kick wasn't really an attack at all, but was solely designed to get Scrapheap's guard high, leaving an opening for the swordsman to thrust.

John's brilliant analytical assessment did little to comfort him, especially when his suspicions were confirmed as his opponent quickly changed levels and thrust, his katana aimed right at the old samurai's gut, ready to skewer him like a shish-kebob...
WinterRat1
10:30:14 Thursday, 11 January 2063, Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

The two detectives look at each other for a moment, then Detective Fox looks back at her and says, "What about an email address? You must have one of those, through your school if nothing else."
Vegas
10:30:42 Thursday, 11 January 2063, Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

Lana looked at the detective and the sense of the overwhelming situation was clear on her features.

"Oh, right. Email. Of course."

She took the datapad from Detective Morris and entered in her email address from school and handed it back.

"As soon as I can get my phone issues straightened out I'll be certain to get the information to you."

She ran her fingers back through her hair again and her eyes went a little vacant as she focused her vision past the detectives. She wanted to get away from these people and try to make heads or tails of what had happened upstairs on her own. She swallowed hard before speaking again to the detectives.

"What happens if... if the body upstairs is Niki? What happens then? What happens to me?"
WinterRat1
10:31:13Thursday, 11 January 2063, Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

There is an awkward silence, before Detective Fox answers, "Don't worry about it right now sweetie, you've had a terrible shock. Everything will be just fine and work itself out. Why don't you go back to where you're staying and try to relax? We'll let you know as soon as we have any information."

A bigger non-answer would be hard to find, but really, what did she expect them to say right now?
Sedna

He'd seen her. No question there, the taste of his sudden awareness was unmistakeable -- but only a shadow of what it should have been, so intent was Scrapheap on trying to get his Manhunters inside his opponent's guard. Threat triage. Maybe it might have been different had he identified immediate threat to the girl, but she intended none and fortunately he'd picked up on that, both for Alleycat's sake and his own. He'd need every scrap of focus to keep this one off their backs.

The faintest edges of a feral smile. The swordsman was very skilled. The mana rippled lightly through him as he twisted and spun; and Alleycat could appreciate that skilled ebb and flow, even bitterly envy it against her own current inadequacies. Another time, she'd have been pleased to learn from that skill. Here and now --

Nothing personal in it, not from his side or hers. It was simply a condition of the circumstances. For Alleycat to get her charges out, the swordsman would have to die. She'd seen the earlier vault onto the upper floor, drawing a target, yes, but it got the job done. The old street samurai knew what he was doing.

She had all the time in the world to realise that he didn't.

Skilled well enough on his own grounds, probably -- he had the feel of a survivor -- but within a fraction of a second the swordsman had managed to draw him into an environment completely of his own choosing. This is exactly why you don't let these things get personal, Alleycat. How easily the swordsman had sidestepped, feinted one Manhunter aside and smoothly redirected the spitting bullets of the other to chew up the ancient pseudo-wood floors of the warehouse. The same motion continued without losing any of the momentum, vertical arc pulling Scrapheap's guard high, turning on the downstroke to become a vicious horizontal slash before the air even had a chance to fill with splinters and the reek of oil and old chemicals. The bright tang of freshly drawn blood nearby added a new component to the haze and dust and desperation.

This one was out of the old street samurai's class. She could feel the moment of realisation, the man's dawning desperation as he began to understand that he wouldn't be among those escaping. Maybe honour or personal or whatever had gotten him engaged in the first place; but now it was entirely likely that he would never be able to disengage until the adept's sword tore him open. It was only a matter of time, and this one wasn't the kind to play with his prey. No one else here to help him. Somewhere she could hear the soft hiss of a smoke grenade about to go off. Before it could, this battle would be over. The swordsman hadn't even broken a sweat.

In the moment of clarity, his desperation became hers.

In a dazzling instant the familiar patterns came to her, in a way she'd never thought to evoke them, and with a power she'd never before managed on her own, unaided. The mana streaked agonisingly through her body, her nerves, the link which bound the swordsman to her. Eagerly she embraced the familiar flaying pain which shaped her will -- and then she released it.
Konsaki
19:53:47 Thursday, 11 January 2063 - Tooth and Nail, West Galer St, Downtown Seattle, UCAS
Leon Mordred

As the roaring music reached its crescendo for the final section of the jamming colophony, Joel barely heard Leon yelling his way. It took a few minutes before the message finally got across clear to the bartender, mainly because the set had ended and the band was taking a quick breather. There was a period where the moshing of the crowd halted for a few seconds as they cheered at the live band before almost instantly demanding more of the roaring beats.
In that short little timeframe, Leon was able to complete the transaction by deducting the cost from his credstick. Just as he put it away and reached for the drinks, the jamming base started reverberating through the entirety of his being. Picking up the two drinks, the feline changeling made his way through the crowd that was forming at the bar as people mobbed to get something to refresh themselves from the mosh.

Once making his way out of the throng, Leon had little trouble getting to Freya. Handing her the drink without saying anything, as his voice probably wouldn’t carry over the sound waves the giant speakers were producing. Still, no words really had to be exchanged for the elder brother to know his sister wasn’t really thrilled to be on this floor of the club.
Saying something unintelligible to get her attention, he gave a motion to have her follow him out through the sound shielded area towards the main stairs. She wondered where they were going, but was still relieved that the deafening sounds and odd views were fading as they climbed the stairs. Once he figured the sound was manageable to talk, he turned slightly, still going up the stairs, to say, “You might like this floor better. It has more of your kind of music and less… moshing.�
“Good…�, the multicolored elf replied back. “Thanks for the drink, big bro. What do I owe you?� Hearing this, Leon turned back and chucked, “You don’t owe me anything, the ‘soda’ is free here.�, he joked as he looked at the drink which was obviously not soda. Getting the hint, she smiled back up and continued towards the next floor.

The closer they got, the more the hard rock had faded out and a trance-like techno waves had taken over. The view that joined them was one of laser lights and light fog which had lightly rolled down the stairs before dissipating. In the mix was a dance floor, on which a similar throng like on the floor below, but instead of the violent mosh there was the smoothly flowing and swaying dance as people got close to rub and tease.
“Yeah, this is much better.�, Freya said with a smile as she quickly got the rhythm of the synth down and started slightly swaying and twisting to warm up. Leon just chuckled again, “Heh. I figured you would like this more than the techno country they have on the first floor. Though some of the stuff they come up with isn’t too bad…� Shrugging, he took a sip of the hard whiskey in the glass he held, feeling it burn down his throat to sit in his gut, warming his already sweating body.
Sedna
07:58:14 Wednesday January 14, 2063 - Soon to be the Reflecting Pool magic shop, Downtown Seattle

Andie steps out of the light rain to find himself instantly enveloped in a bright din of activity, labourers of all nationalities and races laughing and shouting and cursing at each other and, once, at him, when he didn't duck his head quite quickly enough to avoid a length of board being swung around. The materials engineering degree isn't trades, he'd never bothered to do a practicum after he Awakened, and he doesn't understand most of what is going on around him. He doesn't have to. After all, that's what he is paying Solomon for.

Dusha shakes himself off, nostrils flaring at all the interesting new scents.

Here a troll is gradually reducing a small pyramid of differently sized pipes, transporting them off to various parts of the warehouse to become part of the water and sewage network. Somewhere over there an ork in heavy coveralls and a facemask is doing something that involves some serious sparking. "Good work," someone had once said to him, when he wondered at how quickly the small army of workers had materialised. "Safe work."

Safe work?

Rumours. There were always rumours, but to hear them talk there seemed to be even more rumours of late. Unexplained fatal fires in Auburn. Helicopters gone down over Puyallup during that snowstorm. Tradespeople gone missing after working on this or that project. Incidents in and around Sea-Tac, an airplane somehow managing a landing almost on the runway even though all its navigation equipment had suddenly shorted out, multiple car accidents; even a running gunfight through the parking garages if the more extreme of the rumours had any substance. Rumours even mentioned something called the Vory were getting involved, some new group Andie had never heard of and didn't really care about, so long as they weren't getting involved here.

But Solomon had a reputation for thoroughness, and also for fairness among these people. If he said a project was on the level, then odds were it probably was. His money was always good, and far, far safer to earn and to spend.

Besides, this was central-east downtown, edging on the university district. How bad could things be?
Vegas
10:36:21 Thursday, 11 January 2063, Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

“Of course Detectives. Thank you both very much for being straight with me, I appreciate not being treated like a child.�

She rose up out of her chair and offered her hand to both detectives in turn giving each of them a firm shake before she walked out of the room in a daze. She walked through the lobby and outside the front doors and was hardly surprised to see her three friends lurking down the block. She knew they wouldn’t go far. They were predictable as they were trustworthy.

The group quickly closed the distance and Lana was faced with a tough decision. Tell her friends everything and possibly put her sister’s life in jeopardy as well as her own and that of her friends, or just carefully dodge the truth and play her cards carefully without outright lying to those who trusted her. Aidan didn’t waste any time trying to get details.

“So what did the cops want that was so important they had to talk to you alone babe?�

She shook her head, it was hard for her to get the words out at first.

“They found… There was… a body in my apartment.�

She let those words sink in for a moment before she said anything else.

“They don’t know if it was Niki or not.�

She felt Aidan’s arms go around her and pulled her close and she just lost it. All the false bravado was gone, all the stress of the last 36 hours came out of her all at once as she fell apart in his arms.
grendel
11:56:22 Monday, January 8, 2063 - Aurora Village Shopping Center Food Court

Sybersnake paused to sip from whatever strange blend of coffee products filled the clear plastic cup sitting in front of her before starting her narrative.

"All right, I won't bore you with all of the details because most aren't germane to the discussion. But the essential nature of the matter is that I picked up a corporate job to locate three individuals who were in Seattle on counterfeit papers. Location tracking only, very hands off, basic surveillance type stuff. The job was fairly straightforward, and should only have been complicated by the quality of my targets' forged identities.

Shortly after beginning my searches, though, I was burned out of my workshop by a joint matrix force which had all the hallmarks of the Falling Fang, Saeder-Krupp's secretive cabal of elite hackers. Can I say for sure it was them? No, but my instincts tell me so. If that is the truth, then it opens all kinds of unsettling questions:

Why is Saeder-Krupp after me? If they wanted me dead, I'd be dead already. If they wanted to frame me for something, there are easier ways than an elaborate charade involving hiring me. If they want me for something else, then why the charade at all? I'm a mercenary hacker, I'll take their money just like anyone else's."

Sybersnake paused to sip from her drink again, eyes scanning the crowd drifting through the food court, sifting the faces for anything suspicious. Dragon and Erebus waited silently, a patience born from operational briefings where it was much better to hold your questions until all the information had been imparted. The slim hacker shook her head.

"It just doesn't make sense. There's got to be another reason why. I can't help but think that once I understand their motivations, I'll be able to see a way out of this mess."
Cthulhu449
21:03:33 Wednesday, 10 January 2063- Outside the Sundowner Tavern, 14640 58th Ave S. Seattle, UCAS

“Yes, I’ll take one, thank you,�

Leo nodded his head and took the offered cigarette, bringing it to his mouth and taking a quick drag. He let the smoke hang warmly in his lungs while continuing to speak from the throat.

“I’ll try not to hit him over the head too many times,� the Russian said finally exhaling, “he should only have a slight lisp when all is said and done.� The corner of Leo’s lip twitched into a tiny smile, like a candle flicking in the wind, before returning to the stable deadpan. “It is a pleasure working with you; I will make sure he is ready on Friday. I suppose I should go speak with him now.�

Leonid excused himself, shaking Isir’s hand and pocketing the gear the other man offered in a deep coat pocket. He turned about and pushed back into the diner, bells jangling to announce his reentrance.

“No smoking, hon,� the waitress admonished him, pointing halfheartedly without looking to a sign posted on the door, “see where it says?�

“I don’t have an ashtray,� Leo shrugged, crossing the distance between himself and the counter in two long strides and sitting down beside the pouting mage. The waitress huffed, put her hands on her hips and scowled at him in a most matronly manner. Then her face softened and she sighed, “Oh well, just don’t ash all over the floor.�

“Are you ready to get out of here and set up shop?� he asked his new charge.
WinterRat1
11:59:27 Monday, January 8, 2063 - Aurora Village Shopping Center Food Court

Dragon looks over at Erebus. "That's the basic gist of the situation. You still want in?"

The elf looks back and nods. "I already told you, I need the action. So what next?"

Glancing at Sybersnake, Dragon replies, "There are some...peripheral issues in this as well. Virgil is working on some of them, but we've still got to deal with a few more. Sybersnake, would you like to explain the other major items our 'to do' list?"

Implicit in his question is an inquiry as to how much, exactly, she wants to reveal about Roberto. Obviously they'll have to tell him if they want Erebus's help, but Dragon would prefer it came from her mouth, not his.
WinterRat1
10:42:39 Thursday, 11 January 2063, Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

No one said anything for a moment as she fell apart, then Kat whispered, "Oh my god..." and raised her hand to her mouth, as if the physical gesture would help prevent her from saying any more.

Everyone stood in silence for several minutes, Lana sobbing uncontrollably in Aidan's arms.

This wasn't supposed to happen. They were were just kids. Maybe they liked to pretend they were hard, jaded and worldly, but deep down inside, this was the kind of stuff they thought only happened on the trid. Now they'd had brushes with bunraku parlors, stalkers with rumored Mob connections, suspicious fires in apartments and burned out corpses, all of which were way over their heads.

Finally Razor spoke up tentatively, which was even scarier. Maybe the hardest guy in their circle, if he was rattled, that meant things were getting even more out of control than they thought.

"So...what do we do now?"
WinterRat1

The sword came fiercely towards Scrapheap's stomach, a steel implement of death glistening from the raindrops falling across the blade. Frantically the old samurai tried to move out of the way, throwing his arms down to knock the swordsman's attack wide. He almost succeeded. In his younger days, he certainly would have.

But now, slowed by old age and the ravages of time, the blade cut into his side instead, digging into his abdomen. The wound wasn't deep as it could have been, but little wounds had a nasty way of adding up to big ones. Judging from the frustrated snarl on the swordsman's face, he had every intention of adding quite a few more to his foe's body before he was willing to call it quits.

Whether he would have succeeded or not was a question Scrapheap was grateful he'd never have to answer. His foe suddenly and inexplicably screamed in pain, dropping his katana and falling to his knees, arms wrapped around his body as clawing at himself, as if wracked with agony from within.
Sedna

She released it -- and the mana breathed electric fire through her nerves, the familiar, flaying, agonising pain which whispered faint echoes of her first conscious memory. In loving relief she embraced it, welcoming its blinding clarity as her nails sliced open her skin, sharing. Pain, yes. Pain is life, little man. Be alive with me -- for a few moments more.

Her mind utterly clear, she discovered a new contempt as she considered the shrieking, writhing swordsman. Such a little thing? To think that a moment ago, she'd been admiring his skill.

Effortlessly she held him with the power of her will, already preparing to turn back to cover her charges as she redirected the white electricity of the mana through the open gash in the palm of her hand, letting one pain flow over and replace the other with the ease of long familiarity. The rain tasted very sweet against the blood in her mouth.
grendel
12:01:04 Monday, January 8, 2063 - Aurora Village Shopping Center Food Court

Sybersnake is uncharacteristically subdued, staring at her fingers as they flex against the dirty micarta table top. Dragon glances sideways at Erebus, trying to gauge the young elf's thoughts. Distantly, over the hum of the crowd, the chiming of the mall's center clock announces the noon hour. Looking back at Sybersnake, Dragon meets her gaze, reading the pain and fear there, as well as the overriding biological rage of a mother helpless to protect her son. He tilted his head down minutely.

You railed at me about telling the truth of who and what I am. Now is not the time for double standards.

The slim hacker sighs, knowing what must be done.

"What Dragon is referring to is they have also taken my son. When I realized what was happening, and that I might have to go to ground rapidly, I called Dragon and instructed him to pick my son up from school. What I didn't realize at the time was I was not, in fact, speaking with Dragon, but an amazingly convincing doppleganger."

Sybersnake looks away for a moment before continuing.

"I gave them everything they needed to get to him: location, time, the code...."

She stops in mid-sentance, a look of horrified understanding blossoming on her face. Her words have turned the final tumbler in the lock of Dragon's mind, and his realization is a microsecond behind hers.

"You're not the target!" he blurts. "They're after your son!"
Cedric Rolfsson
12:01:04 Monday, January 8, 2063 - Aurora Village Shopping Center Food Court

Erebus can't help but wonder about the lady decker, for S-K to kidnap her kid must mean either she's very valuable or the kid is, either way it made the situation volatile. People would act irrationally when they were trying to protect their kids, they'd take risks and chances that sane people wouldn't, which made them extraordinarily dangerous, like a momma bear and her cub. S-K had to know this, had to know that kidnapping a decker's kid could trigger all sorts of reactions, many of which could be very costly to the corp, and they decided to do it anyway. A small voice inside Erebus' skull quietly pointed out that could mean there was a lot of nuyen involved and the chance existed to maybe get his share, but he ignored it. One score was short term thinking, a long term loyal connection to a crew of professional runners would be potentially worth far more in the end.

"So S-K snatched your kid or are you saying it's likely they will snatch the kid? Have they contacted you with demands, or is he" Erebus gestured towards Dragon "saying that S-K wants something from your kid?"
DireRadiant
13:36:17 Thursday, 11 January 2063 - Outside the Raincrest Apartments, East Tacoma, UCAS

Litany really needed to be running a team of at least 6 for a job like this. This was why corps and governments could collect so much good data. Eyeballs were cheap. Rotating a trio of pairs through each location till they could pick up the target, once acquired the teams could support each other and switch with each other on a fully rotating surveillance. The only help she had was Gabriel.

Lord Help me..

//Gabriel:: Pull the latest from the iBall and let's map the area.

On the other hand, standard surveillance team pairs weren't going to be capable of doing what she could do once the target was acquired.

and probably wouldn't want to either, it can get very bloody right quick

Litany started scanning the area, setting up the basic escape and evasion routes she thought she was going to need soon enough.
WinterRat1
12:01:37 Monday, January 8, 2063 - Aurora Village Shopping Center Food Court

Dragon's fist clenched and unclenched, and for the sake of not drawing attention to themselves he visibly fought down the urge to smash the table in front of them into little pieces with a single blow. Through clenched teeth, he answered Erebus, "Her son has already been snatched. If it is who I think it is, they won't be contacting her with demands. They don't want something from her son, they just want her son. And I would bet a large amount of nuyen that 'they' is not Saeder-Krupp, but Aztechnology."

Still uncertain of how much information Sybersnake wanted to reveal, but confident that at the least, Erebus deserved to know it was most likely The Big A they were dealing with now, Dragon looked over at the decker. "I'll let her explain what she wants to about that aspect of the situation, but this whole damn mess is starting to fall into place really fragging fast."
WinterRat1
01:00:05 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 - A Warehouse in the Barrens

With his foe writhing and shrieking on the floor, it was a simple matter for Scrapheap to approach and put two bullets into the man's brain and out of his misery. Against the driving rain and hail of gunfire that echoed throughout the warehouse they barely registered a sound, the only noticeable sign of their passing a suddenly limp body on the warehouse's upper floor.

A quick scan of the second floor with his vision mods left John reasonably certain that except for him, Nora, Lady Dove, and the mysterious resident who'd helped usher the girls away from the fight, the second floor of the warehouse was empty. For now.

Glancing down at the lower level, he couldn't see Max and could only hope the shaman was making his way to the exit ETG and Blaze were still doing a remarkable job of holding clear. As he jogged over to the girls, Nora ripped herself away from them and threw herself at him. Wrapping her arms tightly around his waist, she buried her face in his chest and began sobbing like a little child.
Vegas
10:45:17 Thursday, 11 January 2063, Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

Lana sniffled back the last of her tears and wiped her nose on the sleeve of her shirt before she looked at Razor and shook her head.

“I don’t know, I mean I seem to be a walking string of bad luck, you know? I mean from Kat’s stalker, to the crap at the club, the cops and now this? I wouldn’t be surprised if you guys dropped me like a hot potato and went the other direction at this point. At least till this all blows over.�

She was talking nonsense and yet the thoughts had likely crossed each of her friends minds in the last 24 hours.

“I just need a way to check email and stuff for the next 24 or whatever, so the detectives can reach me if they… you know, find out anything important. And if I can get access to the apartment and see what might be able to be recovered.�

Her eyes moved from the face of one friend to the next, and back while they kept their thoughts mostly to themselves.

“Maybe we need to focus on what more we can do for Kat, there’s nothing really anyone can do for me right now you know?�
Sedna
01:00:06 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 - A Warehouse in the Barrens

The mana drained from her -- and at the same moment the girl broke free and fled over to her "Uncle John". Alleycat let her go. Listening to the scattered background bursts of gunfire, they would have a few moments anyway, before breaking the pinned-down stalemate on the way to their freedom.

First though -- "Gotta get us some armour," she said matter-of-factly to Lady Dove, already scrounging, letting her voice and manner continue to bring across the image of just another harmless transient, but keeping her own street lingo light enough not to be a barrier, or a threat. After all, she would have to be understandable to guide Lady Dove into acting to conceal them. "Gotta keep our heads down. You don't look like you belong here, and if you're not wearing armour and packing heat, you gotta to be a mage, which means you're gonna become a target real quick. All the trids say so. We need something to conceal us, quick." And the tone of her voice added: It's up to you.

The man had been precise with his pistols, Alleycat noticed with relief: the floor angle had taken most of the mess, leaving the armoured jacket as reasonably clean as could be expected. Quickly she pulled it off, running through the man's pockets under its cover. Grab the most obvious stuff and go. No pistols, but then she hadn't really expected any, not from this one. The katana she took also, which decided her in keeping the concealing jacket for herself. The grenades and shuriken were a fortunate find, but she would have traded them for a couple more pieces of armour for the woman and the girl. However, the only other armour in the area was the samurai's and what was being worn by the other squad which had just descended from the helicopter.

She considered that thought for a moment.

Didn't hurt that it gave her something else useful to do while she let the girl's relief take its course, something that didn't involve a heartfelt one-on-one with Lady Dove. She hoped it would happen quickly. No changes in the pattern and location of gunfire yet, but the stalemate couldn't hold too much longer. When it broke, she intended to be with the group doing the breaking.

This new group doesn't really seem to be after us, as such -- more like we're caught in the middle. So if Blaze and that troll pillbox of his draw attention while the rest of us keep our heads down, and let the rest of this situation take care of itself ...

Her gaze drifted briefly upward, toward the shattered skylight. Maybe losing the high ground wouldn't be necessary after all.

She caught the moment of change between Scrapheap and the girl almost before the man knew it himself. Her scrounging time was over. As she pulled on the too-large coat, she finally let herself shiver in the cold, cold rain. "I'm Alleycat. I'm a friend of Blaze. You know, hothead, red coat? Got any ideas for getting us out of here?"

And let her gaze drift upward again, leadingly, toward the waiting helicopter.
Sedna
08:30:24 Wednesday January 14, 2063 - University bookstore, University of Washington, Downtown Seattle

"Wow, that's a lot of nuyen for a night of decking. You gonna take it?"

"I dunno. I heard things about Milan Viddmar. Besides, everyone's offering, these days. Maybe all the demand will drive the price higher. Kind of nice being in a hot skill market, you know?"

Nestled behind his stack of stocked bookshelves, Andie favoured the two of them with a completely unseen glare. It was hard enough trying to track down Sara's selections without the added distractions. He had left Dusha tied outside to a lamppost. For an irrational moment, given all the bicycles already locked in the racks this early in the day -- and when did I start being forced to be a morning person? -- he wondered if he ought to have added a kryptonite lock.

It didn't help at all that Sara's selections turned out to be in a completely foreign language, although he supposed that it wasn't exactly a surprise, after the way the last week had been going. At least it was English alphabet, looked like German or something, which would have been nice if he had known German; but when he ran it through the bookstore's free Babel software, it came up unknown. He had had to go to the special order centre for assistance, and after waiting for twenty minutes for all the other beginning-of-term desperate students in front of him (and it would have been more, he'd learned from half a dozen conversations in the line, if he hadn't gotten there right at opening time), he'd discovered that she'd not known. Of course, like so much of the current staff, she was just a temp student hired for the rush. The regular staff was already swamped, Matrixing the faculties' last-minute class orders -- and even they had pulled in extra staff to handle the traditional overflow.

Andie idly started wondering if there was a way it could be done faster and cheaper with magic. Maybe he could create a niche here, tide him over until he got the orichalcum assembly line going.

"I got it!" she exclaimed suddenly, pulling out the jack from her temple. "You're looking for a couple of collections of children’s stories:The Topsy-Turvy Emperor of China and Naftali the storyteller and his horse, and other fools. They're in the dead languages section. Here's the stock numbers."

Children's stories?

And now here he was, at the farthest end of the dead languages section, staring at a small card on the shelf:

Not in stock. Please see Special Orders.

All right. Once more ... but that is absolutely it. I have better things to do. If she can't get paper in my hands, I'm out of here.

Back again, listening with half his attention to the earnest discussions going on behind him: add-drops and tuition and what a particular professor had turned out to be like and some kind of anti-Tir demonstration to be staged later that day. "We're already putting it up, the Portland shantytown and lots of packing paper to represent the wall."

"And the administration let you do that? Thought for sure that would violate the code of conduct."

The elf shrugged: "What are they going to do? expel half the student body?" and the body language added an unspoken expel me? "Tir embassy's even sent over their main PR spokesperson, so administration has to let it play out now."

"What? You mean Catarina d'Erethiel is coming to campus? Campus Matrix had nothing about that."

"Oh, like they'd advertise her movements in advance. I mean, think about it. Especially what with all the stuff going down in town. I only know because I'm invited to the pre-talk lunch."

"Abuse of board of governor student-rep privileges?" tuskily grinned the ork.

"Damn straight."

Elf's called up to the special orders desk, looks like he's got things pretty much in hand. Andie's next but for the ork, who's staring up after the elf with thoughtful eyes. "And wouldn't I like to be a fly on the wall at that lunch," he says quietly to himself, "when you discover that Lady d'Erethiel is an ork."

Andie's at the help desk now, and he's really not in the mood for more being jerked around. His right shoulder gives off a slight twinge at the thought, and he rubs it absently. "They're not on the shelf," he says bluntly to the girl. "What can you do for me now?"

"Okay," she says brightly, wired on her double shot, extra caffeine latté, "I'll put them on order. We'll give you a call when they’re in."

She's already reaching for the cable to plug in the order. Andie has to physically catch her hand to stop her (standing on tiptoe, the service window here is unrealistically high for any normal human being): "What can you do for me now?"

"Uhm. Well. I guess you could always download them?" in a voice which conveys unequivocably, So why didn't you do that in the first place?

"Can you download them for me now, here?"

"Well, sure, I guess. It's gonna cost more, you know."

"And print them out?"

She blinks for a moment like the idea isn't really computing. "Gee, I dunno. No one's asked me that yet. Hang on a sec, let me get the manager."

She jacks in, and once again Andie is left to his own thoughts. But this time it takes only another minute or two before she nods, and jacks out, and, after running his credstick through (note to self: get reimbursed from Sara -- he can't afford to just drop that much nuyen), places a "Back in Five Minutes" sign on the counter (to the collective groan of the line behind him). She leads him to a small room off the stock shelves at the back, where a large multitask printer is already printing busily into an enclosed tray. "When your job is done," she says, "take it over to Campus Printing. Give them this receipt, and they'll collate it for you."

"Lot of work for a couple of books," he says, and she shrugs: If you didn't want to be bothered, why didn't you just download them in the first place?

And it doesn't really help that he completely agrees with her.
grendel
12:03:06 Monday, January 8, 2063 - Aurora Village Shopping Center Food Court

It takes a moment for Sybersnake to recognize that Dragon is once again deferring to her judgment in how much information to impart to Erebus. The fact that she's busily swearing under her breath in Spanish doesn't help either. She chops the air with her hand, clearly ready to move despite the fact that not all questions have been answered.

"Martinez. A mid-level opeartions officer in Aztechnology with a biological interest in my son. If he is involved, then we have less than twenty four hours before my son will be on a plane back to Aztlan and out of reach forever."

She turns back to Dragon.

"You've got a car here, right? And some heavy ordinance? Or, at least, you can call some in, right?"
Cedric Rolfsson
12:03:06 Monday January 8, 2063 - Aurora Village Shopping Center Food Court

"If he doesn't have a car here," Erebus injected, "I do, but I'm not rigged so don't expect a whole lot of fancy driving from me."

His head was reeling, shocked by the mention of the Azzies in addition to S-K. If they were talking about hitting a major corp like this, especially one that magic heavy, then he'd prefer some magical cover. If it was just one mid level exec who was the problem. . .well that could be solved a little more simply.

"If it's just this one guy who's the problem then I'd suggest just eliminating the problem. If he's snatched your kid, and he'd doing it for his own reasons then hopefully he won't have the full resources of the corp behind him. I'm up for simply eliminating the problem in the most direct fashion available." The young Elf looked over at Dragon and remembered the coldly methodical way he destroyed the Yak solider earlier. He didn't doubt for an instant that Dragon would be all for simply eliminating the problem.
WinterRat1
10:46:34 Thursday, 11 January 2063, Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

Her friends shift nervously from side to side, uncomfortable with the idea of abandoning Lana yet painfully transparent in revealing that yes, they were very worried about all the drek that was happening, and how they could easily be swept up in events far beyond their ability to influence.

After a brief, awkward silence, Kat says, "Well, why don't you crash at my place for now Lana? You can check your email there, and it should be pretty safe. So far O'Halloran hasn't followed me home or showed up there." She pauses. "At least not yet."

"Yeah, that's not a bad idea babe. Why don't we all go back to Kat's and try to figure out what to do next? I mean, that's what we were planning on doing last night, right?" Aidan chimes in, catching himself before blurting out 'before we found out about the fire'.

Razor just shrugs. "I'm cool with that."

The three of them look to Lana for her opinion.
WinterRat1
12:04:12 Monday January 8, 2063 - Aurora Village Shopping Center Food Court

Dragon looks at the hacker first. "I've got a car here, but I have to return it to its original owner. We can take Erebus's car." He glances over at the elf to confirm this is, in fact, ok, and receives a nod by way of an answer.

"I've got some gear in the trunk I need to grab before informing the owner of where to pick it up. But if we're going to have to take your son back by force, I'm going to want to grab some heavier stuff first."

He looks over at Erebus. "I agree, taking on the root of the problem directly would be the optimal solution. I do not think he's acting on company approval. This is personal. That leaves him without the full weight of the company behind him, which is definitely a plus."

Shaking his head, the mercenary immediately dismisses the cherished idea of simply killing Martinez. "I'd love to just geek the guy and be done with it, but if I know Martinez, he's safe and sound in his office in Aztlan. No way he's risking himself on this op personally. Right now, I think the best we can hope for is to get her son back safe and sound, and with all of us in one piece when it's over."

Even without the full weight of The Big A behind Martinez, Dragon still felt a chill at what they could be up against. "We're going to need more than just heavy ordinance. We need backup. Magical and vehicular. I'll call Daedalus and Virgil, hopefully they can regroup and get back in on this action. I think we're going to be operating on a very short timetable and I don't know who else might be available I would trust for this precise a job on such short notice."

Turning back to Sybersnake, he continues, "You said in twenty four hours he'll have your son on a plane back to Aztlan. How long has it been since you gave them the information needed to get your son, and how long do you think we have left?"

While the hacker ponders that question, he opens a secure channel on his headware commlink and mentally transmits via his transducer to her, "I'm begining to suspect Hector set you up to take the fall for this latest Aztechnology experiment that's supposedly running wild in the Barrens. Remember Kiki? That psycho seemed convinced you were in cahoots with The Big A, and I'm starting to understand why. I think you should tell Erebus, he has a right to know at least the basics of that angle so he isn't blindsided by it. Any other thoughts on that front right now?"
grendel
12:04:49 Monday January 8, 2063 - Aurora Village Shopping Center Food Court

"Let's go then," says Sybersnake, the legs of her chair scraping across the floor as she stands. Erebus glances at Dragon, but follows suit when the human samurai stands as well. Together, the three of them head for the parking lot.

"Based on the timeline I've figured, we have eighteen hours before Roberto is on his way to Aztlan with his father. Don't underestimate Martinez. This won't be a corporate sanctioned operation, but just because he doesn't have corporate resources doesn't mean he can't use the corporation's network of contacts. He may be a lying sack of drek, but he's good at his job." Sybersnake keeps her voice low, pitched to carry no further than her two companions. Falling silent, she glances once at Dragon before diverting her gaze and answering his silent communication.

"That information isn't particularly useful at this juncture, but if you want to brief him on it, do so. I've got some work to do on the drive so feel free to give him a rundown on the situation."
Scrapheap
01:00:06 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 - A Warehouse in the Barrens

John winced slightly as Nora threw her arms around his waist, hanging on with surprising strength, body shaking as she wept. Gently, he turned them so that he provided the young girl cover from the raging gun-battle below. He holstered his Manhunters and returned her embrace. An image came to him from happier days: kneeling in a park somewhere, his arms around a much younger Nora, comforting her over some playground wound. He didn’t move as the squatter wandered over to where the swordsman lay, muttering something to Lady Dove about armor.

A burst of gunfire snapped the spell. Releasing his niece, but not prying her loose, John moved his satchel so that he could access it better, and removed his Ingram SMG. He had just slid the strap over his shoulder and snapped the stock into place when the squatter reappeared. He noticed the change immediately; no longer entirely anonymous, they had become a she. She said, "I'm Alleycat. I'm a friend of Blaze. You know, hothead, red coat? Got any ideas for getting us out of here?"

Finally prying Nora loose, John moved her behind him and turned to face Alleycat. Following her gaze he answered, "Nuthin’ that fancy, lady. Take forever to climb, an’ we’d be hangin’ out in fraggin’ open the whole fraggin’ time. ‘Sides, we both got friends down there. We need to make our way down to the others, pull-out under cover. Together."
Sedna
01:00:08 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 - A Warehouse in the Barrens

Alleycat smiles, letting a little more of the street slip away from her low voice as she considers the squad's current intent. "Not if we decoy those four out of our way first and borrow Lady Dove's concealment to make this our new firmpoint. Don't sell yourself short. I've seen you climb, and now I've seen you fight. There can't be more than two or three left up there, just one if we're lucky, and they won't be at all like the guys down here."

They don't know for sure; and with what's going on down below we're not that high on their threat level. We've got the cover to decoy them past us and then briefly hold this position, especially if we can get those two other spirits working with us. We've got the communication, with Lady Dove's help. We can do this, but I'll have to set this plan in motion quickly.

"Keep our heads down, bring our friends up here a few at a time under concealment, and let those two groups take care of themselves. It'll be safer for everyone than trying to work our way through that mess. They're not after us. We can use that. It's still an escape route, after all. It's just one they won't be expecting."

The smile breaks into a tight grin, white teeth briefly flashing against the dark tan skin.

"Besides, your friend down there has a levitation spell. Didn't you notice?"
WinterRat1
12:06:11 Monday January 8, 2063 - Walking towards the Aurora Village Shopping Center Parking Lot

Walking towards the parking garage, Dragon considers Sybersnake's words. He disagreed that information wasn't particularly relevant at this juncture. It was a pretty good guess that Hector was trying to kill at least two, maybe three birds with one stone.

If Kiki had been telling the truth, it seemed as if Aztechnology had released some kind of disease into the Barrens, possibly to test it, while setting Sybersnake up to take the fall, settling one score, then taken advantage of her being on the run to snatch back her son, settling another. All in all, a very neat setup.

Even if Sybersnake wasn't particularly concerned about the plague right now, they'd still have to deal with it down the road, and Hector was too smart to not have a way to keep that angle running while he handled this vendetta. Then again, with an eighteen hour time limit on rescuing Roberto, maybe now was not the time to focus on the plague. It wasn't going anywhere, and would still be there to deal with afterwards. Besides, it was obvious the hacker was focused on one thing only, and without her full attention, trying to handle the plague angle would be more of a distraction than anything else.

That settled in his own mind, he silently messaged Sybersnake back. "All right, I agree, it can wait until after we get Roberto back."

In a low voice he said to the other two, "We're going to need to pick up some stuff from my place, and possibly Erebus's too. Hopefully Virgil and Daedalus can join us shortly. How soon can you have a situational update for us on Roberto's possible current location or where he'll be transported from? Do you already have that information, or should we be putting the word out to our contacts to try and dig it up?"
grendel
13:44:26 Thursday, 11 January 2063 - Outside the Raincrest Apartments, East Tacoma, UCAS

The Raincrest Apartments are part of a series of apartment complexes in the neighborhood, most of which are identical in physical layout if marginally different in facade. The streets are two lane secondary arteries with parking on both sides, and most street corners feature a Stuffer Shack or Arco gas station. Traffic is low but steady, with a Lone Star patrol through the area only once in the half an hour that Litany has been watching. The wind continues to howl bitterly, and the pale sun that peeks irregularly through the gray overcast does nothing to warm the air. Occasional bursts of snow flurries give the horizon an ashen look, as if the low clouds were drifting smoke from distant fires.
grendel
12:07:28 Monday January 8, 2063 - Walking towards the Aurora Village Shopping Center Parking Lot

Sybersnake shook her head once.

"No data yet, I'll get online for real once we're on the road. I'm estimating that my searches will take approximately thirty minutes. That should give you guys enough time to gear up. I'll update you with target intel, recce, and status as soon as I know it."
Vegas
10:47:03 Thursday, 11 January 2063, Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

She shrugged with this little-girl-lost look in her eyes before nodding.

“Yeah, sure. Whatever. Why don’t Aidan and I head back to his place to grab my stuff and meet you two over there. Save us a trip back later.� She watched as Kat and Razor looked between each other with knowing glances. “I promise, we won’t be long ok? We’ll get to solving all the world’s problems soon enough.�

She managed a slight smile and an arch of a brow to get her two friends to give in and it didn’t take much convincing to have Aidan come around. The group parted ways and Aidan did everything in his power to keep Lana’s mind off all that was swirling around her and what was supposed to be a short stop at his apartment turned into something entirely different and much longer.

12:57:42 Thursday, 11 January 2063, Tashirocaplan Artist Lofts, 115 Prefontaine Pl S, Seattle

After a number of phone calls Lana finally arrived on Kat’s doorstep with both her duffle bag and boyfriend in tow. After being let in through the security they made their way upstairs to the apartment. It was nothing lavish, but it was easy to see by looking around Kat was able to afford a lot more than just school on her stripper’s salary.

Lana tossed her bag beside the couch and promptly flopped onto it, a bit of the dark and depressed mood lifted from her shoulders. Everyone else took spots around the living room and stared at one another until someone broke the silence.

“So, this whole thing with O’Halloran, do we even know that he’s dead set on getting Kat to work for him in some way or another?� Lana got right down to business, it was hanging in the air heavy and it would at least keep her mind off the other things weighing on her shoulders.

“I mean is there perhaps some other option, I’d say lets talk to him face to face, but I suppose I kinda blew my chance last night.�
WinterRat1
12:07:45 Monday January 8, 2063 - Walking towards the Aurora Village Shopping Center Parking Lot

Dragon nods. "Understood. Let's get moving then." As the three of them walked in silence to the Aurora Village parking garage, he started making the necessary phone calls.

Opening a secure line, he silently dials up both Daedalus and Virgil on a conference call using his transducer. Neither of them picked up, so he left a message. "Hey guys, it's Dragon. Things are starting to fall into place. It appears Sybersnake was never the target of this screwed up mess to begin with. It looks like the primary target was Roberto, her son, all along. That places our main enemy as her ex-husband, Hector Martinez. That son of a slitch. Remember him Virgil?

My personal theory is he orchestrated this whole situation to not only get his son back, but also to frame Sybersnake and bring her down, payback he's probably been waiting on for a long time. If you really want to stretch it, I bet the plague in the Barrens also furthers his schemes, possibly as a live test of some sort. That's pretty impressive, three birds with one stone. He gets his son back, tests out Aztechnology's new toy, and Sybersnake takes the fall for it, assuming she even survives the hit squads he's sent her way.

According to Sybersnake, we have about 18 hours before Roberto's back on a plane to Aztlan and gone forever. Well, maybe not forever, but I sure as hell don't want to take a vacation down there to try and get him back. Again. So let's avoid that scenario and stop it from happening in the first place.

I know we agreed to split up, but after what Hector's thrown at us so far, I have no doubt wherever Roberto is being held will be loaded with security. I would really like to get backup on this, and after we get Roberto back, I think following the trail could eventually take us to the truth about the plague in the Barrens. If we're really lucky, we might even find answers for how to stop it. Erebus is with me now and he certainly seems like the real deal, but it's do or die right now and I can't think of anyone else I'd rather rely on in this situation than you two. Give me a call back and let me know if I can count you in, or if I need to start looking elsewhere for backup. Dragon out."

Hanging up on Daedalus, he continues with his message to Virgil. "Virgil, I left Juliette's car in the Aurora Village Parking Garage, section 7B. Shouldn't be too hard to find. The car's clear of our presence, I took care of that before I headed over here. Wiped it down, bleached and cleaned the insides to screw up DNA identification, astral tracking, etc., the usual. It should be safe here, so you or her can pick it up at your leisure. Tell her thanks for me."

He pauses, then adds, "And Virg? If you could back me up on this, I'd really appreciate it. I need you for this one. Hector's not kidding around, and we're gonna need to reach deep to pull this off. I'm going to need magical backup no matter what, but there's no other spellslinger I'd rather have covering me than you."

With nothing else that could really be said, he cut the connection.

12:45:00 Monday January 8, 2063 - Cruising in Erebus's Car

After transferring his stuff to Erebus's car, the trio drove in silence to one of Dragon's safehouses to pick up his heavy artillery. After grabbing his necessary gear and ensuring Erebus had his as well, they cruised down Seattle's highways, careful not to draw attention to themselves.

Turning to Sybersnake, Dragon said, "All right, we're set. You ready for that briefing yet?"
Sedna
01:00:08 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 - A Warehouse in the Barrens

But the rest of this situation wasn't going to take care of itself without her assistance, Alleycat realised with a resigned irritation. Concealment by itself wouldn't suffice, not for the group as a whole. For whatever reason, this new group of infiltrators was paying just a little too much attention to their position. They knew. It was even entirely possible they were after Lady Dove or the girl, in which case running would be ultimately pointless. Some of the answers, no doubt, lay up in that helicopter.

The girl. Why had Alleycat intervened? There'd been no danger to Alleycat before. Entire tides of battle had swept around her and past her uncaring, leaving her untouched, unseen. It would have been so much simpler, even profitable, just to let things unfold, and then pick up the pieces afterwards. She'd abandoned so many before this, she'd betrayed so many that betrayal had lost all meaning, what's one or two more? But the girl had screamed: and suddenly it was the most important thing in the world to get her silenced, and -- not to let her uncle be killed in front of her eyes? But why should that have mattered?

She had no idea what colour the girl's eyes would be; but her mind suddenly painted them a deep, dark blue, tinged with the smell of -- pancakes?

It was taking forever for her new ally to consider the situation for himself. He'd have to, of course -- he's the kind you don't just tell what to do -- but Alleycat herself could have told him what his decision would be. He would also have to be the kind who would forget how to see the long-term for the immediate risk where a loved one was in danger. So she'd either have to abandon the possibility and give herself up to a far-too-vulnerable stair retreat -- the obvious choice, and too obviously the one he preferred -- or she'd have to find a way to make her preferred retreat much more visibly desirable. Either would be far from optimal, but the girl was his life. Talia understood.

She understood.

And now it's actually important, what happens to them.

Alleycat considered the squad again. Professional outfit, without a doubt. As soon as she'd identified that, she'd rejected immediately the idea of borrowing the flimsy visual cover of the offices. They had neatly established control of all the key second floor points of access toward the west, where the rotor wind had driven the early ropes: and now they were working their way in pairs toward the east, end result would encircle Alleycat's small group completely if she didn't quickly do something about it. None Awakened like the swordsman, but headware, bodyware, almost certainly sensory upgrades -- movement and coordination in a way that told her she'd be listening for a clue to their language in vain. Oh, for an electronic jammer. Don't waste your time wishing for what you can't have.

No headgear. Now wasn't that interesting?

New evaluation, this time taking into account the pattern of the specific pairings -- and now she saw the potential vulnerability where a hole could exist. Three separate sets of combatants, the gangers and triads below and now this new professional squad, picking and choosing their degree of involvement with the rest in a way Alleycat could appreciate. But if there was one thing she knew, it was how to throw wrenches into neat plans. If just this one pair could be bypassed, be -- elsewhere?

It fell into place with a shivering clarity. Too much sheer noise to do it from here -- she felt Lady Dove flinch behind her as yet another explosion shivered the floor under their feet, but also the growing focus as the woman came closer to the all-important conjuration -- but from the cover of the smoke cloud -- yes! Two together with only submachine guns, that was as nearly optimal as she could have hoped for. But she'd have to move quickly, gain that cover before the others could flank her -- before she could second-guess that deep instinct that had shown her the pattern, and the way of opening a hole.

Alleycat took a deep breath.

Oh, they'll never recognise that this is helping them --
bclements
21:05:01 Wednesday, 10 January 2063- The Sundowner Tavern, 14640 58th Ave S. Seattle, UCAS

“Certainly,� Rodrick said, seemingly having recovered from the huff he’d been in when Isir had left, fanning away the blueish smoke coming from Leo’s cigarette. Leo did note that the homeless man at the front perked up when he had come in, seemingly noting his presence. The waitress also kept an eye out for Leo, but mainly because of the cigarette.

“Although, I am perfectly capable of staying at my own place, under my own protection, but if Isir is insistent, then I will relent. They are my team, after all. What’s your plan?,� he said, sighing as if this was something like a dental checkup or a particularly long wait in line at a crowded bar; one of those things that is endured in life, but not looked forward to.
bclements
20:01:47 Thursday, 11 January 2063 - Tooth and Nail, West Galer St, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

The house-trance vibe was a very obvious, and welcome change for Freya from the hard house music from the floor above. The smell of Deepweed was evident upon entering the floor from the stairwell, and judging by the slouched state of some in the booths surrounding the floor, in abundant use. Leon knew that Luna didn’t mind on this floor at least; a lot of what she called ‘neo-hippies’ aggregated here, and it was one of the more innocuous drugs out there. Unlike the floor they’d just been on, this was a pretty mellow environment to trip out. Even the gazes from the floor upon them entering were more subdued. Freya’s clothing seemed almost conservative here, and Leon was just another Changeling. Neither stood out against the laserlit, foggy backdrop of the dancefloor.

Freya felt it as well: upon finding a booth and sitting down, she closed her eyes for a moment. “Wow, you mind if I clock out for a minute? I haven’t seen anything like this� she said, astonished smile on her face. Leon laughed and nodded, looking around for anyone he knew as Freya slouched down, her astral presence leaving her body. He felt a twang of envy as she floated above the thronging mass of people. A sip of whiskey would help with that.

He’d barely brought the glass to his pursed lips when Freya bolted back upright in her seat, banging her knee against the tabletop and almost causing Leon to spill the liquor on his shirt. “I swear to Ghost I didn’t know they were here,� Freya said, enough to be heard over the soothing, melodic tones of the music. Leon also noticed a few Elves moving toward them from another booth.
Sedna
07:15:07 Monday, January 8, 2063 – Downtown Seattle

"Of course. Just like every other time. May Tyr watch over us both."

"See you on the other side," grinned Dragon, tossing his friend a quick, casual salute.

Virgil managed to hold his own grin until Dragon was out of sight. The crowd swallowed him quickly, uncaringly, oblivious. For whatever reason, Dragon seemed to have escaped infection completely -- so far, but maybe that meant that close proximity by itself wasn't enough to transmit this thing. By Tyr, he hoped so.

Until he'd stepped out of the car, he hadn't realised just how badly he'd overestimated his own strength. The apparent remission had deceived him, and now the relapse was hitting him even harder than before. He closed his eyes briefly, trying to focus. Bad idea. Only his willpower and a clutched railing kept him upright as the world around him spun; and for a brief, blinding moment the pain threatened to consume him.

His fingers left tiny spots of blood on the railing as he straightened, eyes open and carefully focused on the stone edifice of the building next to him. It kept him anchored well enough, for now.

Virgil knew now that he wouldn’t be able to make it to the safehouse, not and keep it safe. He hoped he had enough left to make it to the clinic. He thought vaguely about calling back Dragon, decided against it. Dragon had enough on his plate, and a cab could serve as well for transportation. Besides, what could Dragon really do anyway that Juliette and Galina couldn't? Hold his hand?

"No," he said out loud, and those around him, absorbed in their own phone calls and personal musical environments and full-immersion games, didn't notice. Their auras sparkled with the flashes of interest and faded again as quickly, colourless as their jobs and their lives, a feverish sea of humankind sweeping through the turnstiles and moving moving always moving without going anywhere --

Virgil found himself clutching at a dumpster in an alleyway between buildings, with no clear recollection of how he had gotten there. The pain had grown and widened, eyes and skin and bowels twisting into a silent scream shuddering through his body into an agonised retching of warm blood. The very air against his skin was fire.

Dear spirits, this thing was spreading fast!

This is no way for a shaman of Tyr to die. Get up, Virgil. You've been through worse than this.

But he knew he hadn't.

It was getting hard to see. Gray flirted at the edges of his vision, interrupted here and there by warm, sticky red. Whatever else, it would mean an end to the pain. No! Not like this. Just make it to Juliette's, call her to come get him -- in what? Dragon had her car.

"I found him, Master." A girl's voice. "He's in bad shape."

-- and then he knew no more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012