Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
Scrapheap
01:00:03 Wednesday, 10 January, 2063 – A Warehouse in the Barrens

John lowered his arm, glaring towards the skylight and the descending assault with something like resignation. Yeah, that fraggin' figures. Just when I find Nora... Fraggin' right on cue.

The old runner knew that he had to act, fast, and he knew that his first action had to be to protect his niece. He didn't have time to wait to see who these new players were after. They could be the proverbial cavalry for all he knew, but he couldn't take that chance.

Dropping his Manhunters to the catwalk, Scrapheap stepped forward and grabbed Lady Dove by the arm with his left hand. Reaching past the railing he grabbed Nora with his right. He spun quickly, using his momentum, weight, and cyber-enhanced strength to throw the two females to the catwalk. Nora hit first, quickly followed by Lady Dove. He threw himself across them both, hoping to protect them if they were indeed the target.
WinterRat1

Whether through luck or intention on the part of the new arrivals, none of their bullets hit John, Nora, or Lady Dove. With the moon obscured by dark clouds drifting angrily through the sky and the rain still driven into the warehouse by a relentless wind, making anything out clearly was a difficult task at best.

What was clear was that the new arrivals were on their own side, as their bullets cut into attackers and defenders of the warehouse alike. With the addition of the new arrivals into the middle of the warehouse, and the fact that most of them had achieved higher ground by landing on the catwalk, the complexion of the fight changed quickly.

The attacking force had already spread out, attempting to encircle and sweep the warehouse, so they were relatively unfazed by the new arrivals. But for the defenders trying to escape, the fact that they were clustered together made an easy point for the attackers to focus their fire on. One thing was clear. Getting out had just gotten a lot harder...
Vegas
23:27:31 Wednesday, 10 January 2063 – Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

“Shit!”

Aidan had barely pulled the car to a stop before Lana was flinging the back door open and jumping out running as fast as her small frame could carry her, past the barricades and some angry emergency workers, calling out for Niki as she moved through the growing crowds of displaced residents. Her panic was growing as the more she searched and couldn’t find her sister. She was stopped by an LS officer when she apparently got too close to the building and was forced to show ID to prove she lived in the building. When the officer was finally satisfied with her documentation she looked back and could see Aidan standing at the police barricade and all she could do was shake her head.

She looked up the building’s façade, slowly steeling herself for what she already expected to see. The smoke was thickening even while the fire was dissipating. A familiar window with what would have been a familiar view had she been up on the 13th floor. She squeezed her eyes shut to try to block out the image as she hoped that for whatever reason Niki hadn’t been home tonight.

She felt numb as she started back towards the police barricade and her friends. Along the way she stopped a paramedic who was moving about and inquired if she had seen her sister, giving a fairly vivid description of Niki.
WinterRat1

Carefully raising his head, John uses the myraid cyber-enhancements in his cold metal eyes to assess the situation. The 'allies' as he had dubbed them, were gradually retreating towards the NE corner of the warehouse, where ETG and Blaze were laying down a withering barrage of magic and machine gun fire on anyone who wasn't friendly. By their definition, it seemed that was just about everyone.

Knight had made his way over to Cao Jaan and was helping his employer half run, half stagger over the stair way. Max was almost directly beneath him on the first floor, about at the midpoint of the eastern wall, trying to crawl to the NE corner now that John had saved Nora.

The guys who had busted in through the wall, dubbed 'Enemies A' had paused in their advance, spreading out throughout the warehouse to both surround the allied position and also to better counteract the new arrivals, which he dubbed 'Enemies B'.

Enemies B were gathered on the middle catwalk of the warehouse and were spreading out along it to make themselves less of a target and to move to a less exposed position. Several of them were making their way towards him, trying to get to the second floor and off the catwalk. So far, they hadn't seen him, which gave him maybe one chance to act before they overran his position.
WinterRat1
23:33:14 Wednesday, 10 January 2063 – Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

The paramedic mulls it over for a second then shakes his head. "Sorry lady, I haven't seen anyone resembling that description yet, maybe you should go talk to the firefighters or the cops. They're still pulling bodies out of the building, some of them are badly burned and haven't been identified yet. If you live here, maybe you should check in with the Star, let them know so they can keep you in the loop, ok? I gotta go, it's been crazy here tonight."

With that, he excuses himself and quickly shuffles off to continue his work. Apparently the cop who'd stopped Lana from going in before noticed she was questioning the paramedic, because he walks over to her. "Excuse me young lady, do you live here? If so, let's get you over to the other residents, we'd like to ask you some questions about what happened here tonight."
Vegas
23:35:53 Wednesday, 10 January 2063 – Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

She felt a little bile rise up in her throat when the medic mentioned pulling badly burned bodies from the building. She quietly prayed that Niki wasn't one of the ones still inside.

She felt lost. Small. Alone.

She turned in a slow circle just trying to take everything in when the cop from before had reappeared and with his arm gently on her bicep guided her over to a group of tenants.

"But I wasn't even here tonight....my sister... "

Her words fell on deaf ears however as the cop deposited her in the group and continued on his way rounding up any other residents that he could find. She didn't want to be just standing around waiting on the LS cops to get their shit together. She wanted to be looking for Niki, or to be standing on the other side of the barricade with Aidan, Kat and Razor just observing the chaos happening to someone else.

She wasn't recognizing anyone in the small but growing cluster of people around her, obviously they were from other floors of the building and few of them actually spoke English well enough to have a conversation. Trying to pull her shit together she pulled her thin cellphone from her pocket and attempted to dial her sister's phone in hopes that she'd get an answer...
WinterRat1
23:37:42 Wednesday, 10 January 2063 – Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

The phone rang once, twice, three times, and Lana found herself holding her breath, praying that her sister would pick up.

"The number you called has been disconnected. Please hang up the phone and dial again."

Cursing loudly, Lana hung up her phone, confirmed that she'd selected Nikol's number, and hit 'redial'. After several more rings...

"The number you called has been disconnected. Please hang up the phone and dial again."

Furiously cursing in Russian now, she double-checked once more, making sure the number in her phone was actually her sister's number. She pressed 'redial' again.

WinterRat1
06:12:46 Monday, January 8, 2063 - Hideout - Redmond Seattle UCAS

Walking into the foyer where Virgil was laying on the couch, Dragon pulled up a chair and sat backwards in it. "Time to go Virgil."

"Ugh...go where? Leave me alone. My head is killing me," the almost dozing shaman moaned.

"Come on Virg, we gotta get back to all that other wonderful business we still have on our plates," Dragon answered in an overly cheerful tone.

"You mean the business with all the people trying to kill us who aren't related to organized crime?"Virgil answered sarcastically.

"At least not in any way that we're aware of," Dragon answered, maintaining the annoyingly upbeat tone.

"Yay. Good news. I could use some of that."

The mercenary shifted back to his usual dark and cynical manner of speaking. "Yet."

"Dammit, I knew you were holding out on the bad news. Where are we going?"

"I don't know. Everywhere we've been in the last couple of days we've been jumped. Astral, matrix, physical, doesn't fragging matter, we may as well hang out bright glowing neon signs telling everyone where we are. Let's get moving and we can reassess while we drive. May as well stay a moving target."

Grumbling to himself, the shaman rolled off the couch and gathered their stuff as Dragon said their good byes to Erebus.

"It was good working with you. If we hear anything, we'll let you know. Hopefully this whole thing blows over, but if not, we'll get back together and handle it."

"Right. Same here. Stay safe out there," the young elf offers as he shoulders his pack.

"You too. If we ever need another gun, we'll keep you in mind," the mercenary returns.

Virgil comes out with their stuff and says his goodbyes to the elf as well, then the two of them climb into the car, staying well within the speed limit as they work their way out of Redmond and onto the highway.

06:30:12 Monday, January 8, 2063 - Cruising along Seattle's highways (under the speed limit, of course)

Sipping at the soykaf he'd picked up at a local drive-thru, Dragon drove carefully and legally along Seattle's highways, sticking to the safe areas of the city and avoiding any potential trouble, either from the law or from one of their many assailants that had been crawling out of the woodwork the last few days.

"OK Virg, before we get into details, let's recap the general nature of things we need to deal with right now.

1. We need to find Julia, and we might have to find Jonah and/or the Jedi before we can do that.

2. We need to deal with this latest evil scheme Aztechnology's cooked up involving the plague.

3. We need to deal with your buddy at the Draco Foundation to try and get Julia somewhere safe when we do find her.

4. We need to help Sybersnake out of this mess and deal with potential Saeder-Krupp involvement in the process.

5. We need to find Roberto and get him back from whoever's got him.

6. We need to help Tiffany clear her name.

7. In our free time, we'd like to avoid getting wacked by the Mafia and the Yakuza and maybe even clear our names.

8. Where possible, we need to help Daedalus get his stuff back.

I think I covered all the major things on our 'To Do' list, but I could be missing something. Was there anything else, or did I list them all?"
Vegas
23:22:31 Wednesday, 10 January 2063 Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

A sense of panic was taking over the numbness that had previously filled her while trying to take in all that was happening. There wasn’t any reason for Niki’s phone to be disconnected. It wasn’t like they were hurting to pay the bills and she highly doubted that her sister could have just forgotten to pay it. Besides it would have shut off her phone as well wouldn’t it?

She had to remind herself to take a breath as she was already feeling light headed and a little wobbly as she stood there dumbfounded and lost. Soon her ears were filled with the Russian clucking of Mrs. Chernov, the old mother hen who lived down the hall from them and often was tasked with checking in on Lana when Niki was away on business.

God I need a drink.

Svetlana! Oh my dear Svetlana, just awful isn’t it? I’m just glad to see you are safe girl.”

She was soon engulfed in a bear hug from the woman who seemed unlikely to let go anytime soon as she rocked Lana back and forth like a grandmother. It wasn’t until b]Mrs. Chernov[/b] spotted Aidan and Kat standing behind Lana expectantly that she let go but kept a protective arm around her as she sized up the bruiser and the leggy blonde.

“Friends of yours Svetlana?”

“Da Mrs. Chernov, they are friends of mine.”

Nodding but not entirely approving the old woman moved away from the trio and watched them from afar. Lana rubbed at her temples for a moment as Aidan pulled her close. Both her friends had been over enough to know that her apartment was one of the many involved in the fire. She just started talking stream-of-consciousness as her friends tried to console her.

“This is a fucking disaster. I want a damn do-over for today. First the creep at school, then the guy at the mall, the disaster at the club and now this?!? The cops and medics don’t know their heads from their asses saying they’re still pulling bodies from inside and no one’s seen Niki at all and I can’t reach her by phone because it’s fucking suddenly disconnected and all my shit is probably ruined and where the fuck is Razor?”
WinterRat1
23:28:29 Wednesday, 10 January 2063 Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

"Right here chica," he answers calmly behind her. She turns to see him standing quietly, observing the scene.

Thoughtfully taking in everything around him, he asks, "Just now, you mentioned a guy at the mall on your list of things that went wrong today. What guy at the mall? Do you think he's connected with this, or is he another element of this O'Halloran problem neither of you has mentioned yet? Or is he an entirely separate problem that has yet to be addressed?"
Morgannah
23:52:17 Wednesday 10 January 2063 - 862 Lucile Ave, Apt. 2C, Los Angeles, CFS

With the exception of months spent in stasis, this was quite possibly the longest time she'd spent in one place since in years.

"Twenty one hours," Cosmo breathed, staring at her freshly-scrubbed living room ceiling, forcing herself to lie still in spite of the twitch of her fingers. Worse still was the urge to be up and about, doing something .. anything .. to end the day's tedium, even if that meant breaking into Elite Limousines when she knew there was probably a better way. The Kalds were playing a near flawless Game with her, the best she'd ever encountered, and experience told her that she could afford one more mistake, maybe two, before things got especially messy. Whatever she'd learned about the strange group raised more questions than it answered and so far the larger picture was nothing but an unsettlingly mysterious blur.

Just relax. We'll turn things around before it's 'game over.'

So she "relaxed," taking slow, deep breaths, her body perfectly immobile against the cool tile floor with the oddly soothing scent of industrial strength cleaner and the rush of air from a nearby fan playing across her skin. The space was immaculate, of course, without a hint of clutter to distract, much less a speck of dirt left to attack. Cosmo could close her eyes and point to any space in the spotless apartment, find cover in a heartbeat, list the entire contents of the new SaviorSix Advanced Medkit she'd indexed that afternoon, and reach any of her newly acquired and freshly cleaned weapons in three seconds flat.

Blindfolded.

It was part of "laying low" and "hiding out," she knew, but that didn't mean she had to like it.
Vegas
23:28:59 Wednesday, 10 January 2063 Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

Lana dismissed Razor’s suggestion that she was keeping anything from him with a slight wave of her hand.

“The guy’s a family problem, shouldn’t have anything to do with O’Halloran and his goons. Besides, you really think that creep had enough time to get from the club to here right after we left and pull this off?” She gestured at the scene around them and sighed.

“I don’t know what anything has to do with anything else. I know that I’m not one to believe in multiple coincidences like this. I mean something doesn’t make sense here. Too much happening all at once and now Niki’s missing and…”

She started to look around as she was speaking, wondering if the ThinMan or even O’Halloran was somewhere in the crowds, behind the barricades watching her right then. She stopped her train of thought as the emergency workers carried out body bags that had definite weight to them out the front doors of the apartment building.

She felt lightheaded and a bit unstable as the thought of her sister being in one of those body bags hit her full force. She reached out for someone to steady her as her voice got soft and very distant.

“Maybe I shouldn’t be here right now…”
bclements
19:36:18 Thursday, 11 January 2063 – Tooth and Nail, West Galer St, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

The stout steel door’s speakeasy like hatch slid open with a rasp, and a pair of pink eyes looked out from the hatch. Just as quick as it opened, it slid shut with a clang, and both Leon and Freya heard the locks disengage, and a large, pale and much tattooed figure opened the door into a small hallway/landing where he’d been smoking a cigarette in between sets. Stairs leading up and down floated off into the darkness, and pounding bass from two separate beats announced themselves in nothing approaching harmony.

“Sup Leon” Dro said. Leon recognized him as one of the part time DJ’s, and a prima donna to boot. He’d probably been an ork, before the Comet decided to pass by again. Now, he pale as a sheet of new (real) paper, with large, hard ridges under his very tattooed skin, and striped to the waist skin. His tusks had grown to come almost past his nose, and a couple of extra had sprouted from his chin, decorated with a chain and a small lantern that he lit when he was ‘on duty’, spinning and synthing up in the booth on one of the floors of the place.

Another thing Leon knew was that Dro didn’t have a great view of ‘breeders’, and Leon could see his jaw tightening. ‘Nu huh man. You can come in, but she’s going back out in the line,” he said in surprisingly clear english, almost blocking the doorway. Large, elaborate, illuminated tats scored across his upper body as he stood to block the doorway upon seeing Freya.
grendel
00:18:52 Thursday 11 January 2063 - 862 Lucile Ave, Apt. 2C, Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo rolled to her feet in a fluid motion as the first of HardBitten's electronic knocks was still sounding from the speakers of her trid unit. It wasn't so much that she was desperate for the information, or even desperate for the interaction, just that she was going quietly, utterly insane while waiting. She slapped the 'accept' button on the console, making a conscious effort to control her breathing as the screen rezzed in with HB's icon.

"Okay, here's what we've got. Surveillance is up and running, but it's a three hour time delay. I won't bore you with the specifics but it's the best you're going to get. Death Valley isn't like your neighborhood Stuffer Shack, you know. Files for the limos are being downloaded now, I've got a dozen different appointments for the vehicles each, most of them being runs to various airports, hotels, and restaurants throughout the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area. The only thing they have in common is they're all reserved for some party on Tuesday at the Millenium Marriot."
bclements
20:52:57 Wednesday, 10 January 2063- The Sundowner Tavern, 14640 58th Ave S. Seattle, UCAS

Leo waited, way past the time that Roderick mentioned. The college girls had left, the cold man had ordered a refill of soycaf, and the cop had gone back on duty. Tea cold and down to the dregs, Leo was on the verge of walking out to find a telecom when a short human walked though the door. Warmly dressed in an expensive looking overcoat and shiny synthleather gloves, the short, slightly pudgy man, with a pale complexion crowned by a shock of bright red hair that receded a bit from the temples moved in a few steps in front of the doorway.

Directly behind, another human entered, but built more like Leo than like the man preceding him. Not as well dressed in a short, stiff (and probably armored, Leo thought) coat, his practiced scanning of the room as well as his off axis position just inside the doorway gave him away as a bodyguard. The redhead scanned the room as well, making it as far as Leo before blinking abruptly and walking over to where Leo sat.

“You’re who called, right?” the man said haughtily, in the same high-pitched nasal twang as Roderick used on the phone. He didn’t sit.
bclements
10:33:02 Sunday 14 January 2063 - The Green Papaya, 600 East Pine St, Seattle, UCAS

“I take your word bor it,” Roscoe said, finding it on the menu and apparently content to non know what tom rang me was. “You orderin’ ?“ he asked, as the waitress circled back to check on the table.

“We clear, by da way,” he drawled, much lower in tone, looking out over the already quarter-filled restaurant. Clanging from the kitchen, spicy and exotic drifting smells, low murmured conversation, all drifted together around the patrons.
WinterRat1
23:32:31 Wednesday, 10 January 2063 Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

A light beep grabs her attention, and Lana looks down at her phone to see an incoming text message. Automatically, she pulls up the message and her heart skips a beat.

Svetlana, at exactly 00:00:00 call LTG# 5431-1865-7235. You will have until 00:01:00 to make this call. The number will only exist until 00:05:00, then it will be gone. Your phone will no longer have service at exactly 00:05:01. Don't tell anyone about this call, it will be safer for everyone if they don't know.

There is no sender record.

Seeing Lana checking her phone, Aidan asks, "Did someone call you babe?"
Vegas
23:33:57 Wednesday, 10 January 2063 Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

The message was cryptic yet clear. Noting the timestamp on the message she had about 26 minutes to kill before she’d have to make the call. She wanted to believe it was from her sister, but the unsigned message with no generating number bothered her. Besides, why would Niki need to disconnect her phone and be all secretive about any contact. Her thoughts were interrupted by Aidan’s voice.

“No babe, just hoping Niki had called or sent me a text. Wishful thinking I guess.”

She slipped her phone back into her pocket and thumbed the switch to set it to vibrate only in case of any additional messages coming through before she wrapped her arms around herself and watched the firefighters finish putting out the flames in the apartment building many meters above her.

“I wonder when they’ll let everyone back inside. Or when I might be able to pick through what’s left of my things.”

The more she watched, the more detached she became from the scene, her attitude changed as well as her voice, growing more and more distant and quiet as the impending realities of the situation weighed on her shoulders.
grendel
10:34:15 Sunday 14 January 2063 - The Green Papaya, 600 East Pine St, Seattle, UCAS

Vedic ignored Roscoe's tone with deliberate casualness, turning instead to the waitress who stood impatiently next to the table.

"Chicken xao gung, please. Tea." He held the girl's eyes to ensure she understood before turning back to his companion.

"I know we're clear. We need to begin surveillance of our target as soon as possible. How long can you be away from your shop?"
Morgannah
00:20:47 Thursday 11 January 2063 - 862 Lucile Ave, Apt. 2C, Los Angeles, CFS

"Right."

Cosmo wasn't quite jumping up and down for joy as she pulled the limousine schedules, scanning date, time, and location in rapid succession; it was more of a faint shift from one foot to the other that she didn't bother suppressing. Most routes wouldn't be any good at all, but there were a few spots in less secure neighborhoods that were worth scouting. She breathed a bit easier knowing that there was some solid recon work in her future. And a guaranteed trip away from HERE. For a while.

"Thanks, HB, this is perfect." There was a second's pause before she continued, not really expecting an answer in the affirmative.

"Did you have any thoughts on that file I sent your way this morning?"

No harm in asking, right?
Konsaki
19:36:53 Thursday, 11 January 2063 – Tooth and Nail, West Galer St, Downtown Seattle, UCAS
Leon Mordred

Hearing that coming from Dro caused Leon’s face to flash a visage of annoyance for a split second before it went back to a grin. “No way, man. It’s all cool.”, he said to the tusked DJ. “This here,”, the feline changeling continued as he put a hand on one of the scantly clad girl’s shoulders, “is my sister, Freya. Freya, this cheery guy is Dro, one of the DJ’s on the synth floor.”
“See, Dro, my sis wanted to get inside out of the cold and get to the kicking beats that you DJs pump out. I’m not going to leave her out front alone to wait on Jack and Marie to let her in, but I’m also not going to stand out in the cold when I know I can use this door. Since she’s family, there should be no problems… Right?”, he calmly explained to the pink eyed ex-ork with a slight gesture towards the open door he was standing in.
WinterRat1
00:00:00 Thursday, 11 January 2063 Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

Standing in a nearby alleyway, away from the slowly subsiding chaos in front of her apartment building, Lana's fingers almost trembled as she inputted the LTG number given to her. She'd asked Mrs. Chernov if she knew anything about when the residents would be let back in, but the old woman hadn't known anything.

Rather than risk talking to the cops and being detained, possibly missing this call, Lana had opted to make the call first. With her friends standing watch a respectful distance away, she finished entering the code and punched the 'send' button to finish the call.

The phone rang once, then twice.

"Svetlana."

A lump forms in her throat, and Lana almost slumps to the floor in relief at hearing her sister's voice.

"It is me, Nikol. Are you ok? Are you somewhere we can talk privately?"

Vegas
00:00:24 Thursday, 11 January 2063 Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

Lana felt the relief wash over her but still found it hard to speak as she turned her back slightly away from her friends and faced further into the alley as she leaned against a wall for support with her phone pressed tightly against her ear. Not needing anyone to overhear any more of the conversation than necessary since Niki had made it clear to keep things a secret she cleared her throat and spoke in Russian to her sister.

“Yes, I’m ok. I’m near the apartment. Do you know what happened here tonight? Where are you?”
WinterRat1
00:00:32 Thursday, 11 January 2063 Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

"It's better for us both if you don't know where I am. Listen to me Lana. I need you to make a very important decision, and I need you to make it now.

I have arranged a place for you to stay. A good place, a safe place, and most important, a secret place. But if you go there, you will not be able to leave until I send for you. You cannot leave it at all, for any reason. No one can come with you, and no one should know where you are.

I am sure this does not sound appealing to you. I know you teenagers love your freedom. I was the same way when I was your age."

Even though the vid-display is off, Lana can hear the smile in her sister's voice.

"It is unlikely the people looking for me will look for you, so if you want to hide out, lay low on your own, I won't stop you. But I must know now to arrange for your safety, if you are leaving it in my hands. Which will it be Lana, safety in isolation, or freedom with risk? Decide."
Vegas
00:00:45 Thursday, 11 January 2063 Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

The thought of being sequestered for who knew how long definitely didn't appeal to Lana in the slightest and the fact that Niki felt it was necessary enough to make the arrangements didn't help it sit well with her either. She couldn't imagine not seeing Aidan or Kat for days on end. She also knew after tonight and everything that went down with O'Halloran it was unlikely Aidan would just sit idly by if she "disappeared" without a trace. She was pretty resolved to say no to Niki's planning but then she mentioned the part about the people not likely coming after Lana and she instantly flashed back to the creepy ThinMan at the mall earlier in the day and his warning.

"They're not likely to come after me? I never got a chance to talk to you but there was this guy... at the mall earlier when Kat and I were there... he knew my name and he wanted me to give you a message. Then as I'm coming home tonight there's the fire and all that mess... What is going on here?!"

The panic is evident in her voice as her teenage mind quickly is convinced now that all these things are definitely connected and not just a concidence that she could brush aside any longer.
WinterRat1
00:01:03 Thursday, 11 January 2063 Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

"I...work for certain people. Sometimes these people have enemies. It is just business, nothing personal. That is why I think you will be safe. Still, I cannot take chances Lana. The fire today, it was no accident.

It was a message, directed at me. I am glad you are not hurt, and I am sure they intended it that way. If they wanted to hurt you, they would have gotten to you already. Until I can sort this out, it's better for you not to know too much. They won't bother you if they think you don't know anything or have use to them. I cannot tell you more.

Now which will it be Lana? Shall I make my own arrangements, or will you take care of yourself?"
Vegas
00:01:21 Thursday, 11 January 2063 Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

“Either way I choose there are problems. I have nothing but what I left the apartment with tonight! And if I take your arrangements do you really expect Aidan or Kat not to start worrying and or doing something stupid to come looking for me if I disappear for some amount of time?”

She paused as she realized her volume and pitch was increasing, even in Russian when Aidan overheard his name he started into the alley only to stop in his tracks when Lana held up her hand and shook her head as she turned to look his way.

“And b]Nikol[/b], how am I supposed to know you are safe, that you are ok through all of this?”

Again another pause and a long angsty sigh into the phone.

“What do you think I should do. How long would I have to disappear?”
Cthulhu449
20:53:09 Wednesday, 10 January 2063- The Sundowner Tavern, 14640 58th Ave S. Seattle, UCAS

"Yes, sir, that's me," Leo answered, turning his seat about and standing up to greet Roderick. The motion drew the attention of Roderick's companion, who tensed slightly before returning to his steady lighthouse-scan of the room.

"I was worried you might have had trouble on the way; I'm glad you are well," Leo continued, bringing his arm up for a hand shake just faster than he needed to and watching both mens' reactions. "You seem a bit troubled by this whole arrangement. Sit and tell me how this necessary disturbance to your normal routine can be made as painless as possible."
bclements
23:25:07 Sunday, 14 January 2063 – Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

“I will. Thank you” Tony said, making a conscience effort not to shake his head or check the contents of the bag as he carefully held it tucked under one arm, shielding it from the pedestrians on the sidewalk as he made his way back to the parking deck. Cold wind bit though him, but he was mainly worried about bumping into someone and setting off an arsenal in his takeout bag. Not the way to roll he thought, threading his way through the press of metahumanity still crowding the sidewalks this time of night: wageslaves heading out to party from the pre-party spot, late night shoppers heading in with Matrix coupons for late-night sales. Tony at least wasn’t the worst dressed; a few bums angling for change along the walk had more stains on their coat.

It wasn’t until he was back in his car, engine already turning over in the cold, harsh fluorescent light of the concrete parking deck that he opened the package and inspected the contents: Flashpack crystal-gleaming in the bright, unnaturally white light and smaller than the pack of cheroots that Priest used to carry, tubular grenades separated only by a small white ribbon around the top of the pull and push mechanism of one set of them. Not bad, Zedya he thought, stowing the flashpack in a chest pocket, and the grenades in interior waist pocket.

Not like you’re goin’ to be chuncking these things like in trench war, he thought, settling the seat belt well below impact level with the grenades in his pocket. He wasn’t unfamiliar with them, but the Company had been so sparing with the damn things that after the first few times he stopped asking. Even small flash bangs raised such enough purchasing blockades. Requisitioning was one of the things he didn’t miss, he thought on the drive out to Bellevue, soft jazz playing in the background, interspersed with soft Spanish swearing as the Americar joined the flow of traffic, headed south to the 405.
bclements
EDIT: Deleted, timestamp screwup, sorry.
WinterRat1
00:01:43 Thursday, 11 January 2063 Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

"Do you think your older sister so foolish she would not have planned for this? If you wish to make your own arrangements I have plans to assist you as well. I cannot tell you how long you will have to hide if you take my arrangements, I can only say until my business is complete.

If you think you cannot handle isolation for so long, or your friends will worry beyond what you can tolerate, then you should make your own plans. I cannot tell you what to do Lana, you are old enough to make your own decisions."

The one question her sister doesn't answer sticks out like a sore thumb: how will she know that Nikol is ok? She already knows why her sister didn't answer. It's possible she'll never know if her sister's ok. With that thought comes a startling realization that brings the beginning of tears to her eyes. If things go wrong, really far, wacked out wrong, this might be the last time she ever talks to her big sister.

Vegas
00:01:59 Thursday, 11 January 2063 Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

Biting down hard on her tongue to distract herself from the thoughts that were bringing the stinging tears to her eyes, she shook her head as if it would stop the thoughts from continuing down their morbid path.

Niki I… Maybe it is better if I stay out on my own. I mean I’ll have the guys to look after me and like you said, if I don’t know anything it’s likely they’ll leave me alone. Not that I don’t appreciate everything you’ve thought about to help me. I’ll be fine… I just want to you to be ok too.”

Perhaps she would be “safe” from the people who were trying to keep her sister from doing whatever it was she was doing, but would she be safe from O’Halloran and that whole mess that she had gotten herself right in the middle of.

“Promise me Niki, if you get the chance to let me know that you are ok you will. I don’t know what I would do if something happ…’

She cut the last statement off short, the reality of it all was that something had already happened, and likely nothing else would be the same.
WinterRat1
00:02:31 Thursday, 11 January 2063 Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

"I promise Lana, I will update you as often as it is safe. And I will do my best to be ok. Don't worry, everything will work out."

Nikol's voice was soothing, but it was painfully obvious she was quite aware her younger sister's fears were well founded. She pauses for a moment, letting the silence hang before answering, her voice calm and clear.

"Go to Sea-Tac International Airport and find storage locker 763. The code is 4D5E9HG1. Inside you'll find some things I stashed away in case something like this happened. In the meantime, lie low, and do not put yourself in unnecessarily risky situations. If people come after you, cooperate and give them want they want. I will be fine, but I cannot risk your safety. I could never..."

Nikol's voice seizes up for a moment, and her normally controlled voice suddenly becomes husky.

"I could never face our parents if something happened to you. So take care of yourself my little Svetlana. I pray I will be able to see you soon."

Her voice goes silent, and for a moment Lana thinks her big sister hung up, but she checks her phone and sees it's still connected. As much as she tries to hold back, she's starting to sniffle a little, knowing full well her big sister is saying good bye. Just in case. Before the tears can kick into full gear, her sister's voice breaks through the silence, heavy with emotion.

"You are strong enough to get through this Svetlana. Before you know it, things will go back to normal. Do not worry, we will see each other again, I promise."
Vegas
00:02:46 Thursday, 11 January 2063 Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

Lana's grip on her cellphone tightens as her sister begins to say her goodbyes and she chokes on her tears as she tries to be as strong as her sister believes she is.

"I'll get to the airport and I'll find the locker. I will be careful, I promise. I... I love you Niki"

Lana fell silent, the tears spilling down her cheeks as she struggled to remember to breathe. This couldn't really be happening to her, to her sister.
WinterRat1
00:03:16 Thursday, 11 January 2063 Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

But it was happening. To her, and to her sister. No matter how hard she tried to deny it, tried to pretend this wasn't happening, tried to pretend she wasn't really saying goodbye to Niki, maybe for the last time, the inescapable reality of their situation kept collapsing on her conscious mind like a ton of bricks.

The sobs catch in her throat, and she gulps for air as Nikol whispers, "I love you too Svetlana. No matter what happens, never forget that. Good-bye."

The line goes dead as Nikol disconnects, leaving Lana alone in the silent, dark alley.
Vegas
00:05:35 Thursday, 11 January 2063 Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

She heard the line go dead, and she pulled the phone away from her ear and tried to look at its status through the tears. Seeing nothing but the world go blurry she let her hand hang loose by her side in defeat as the world seemed to move in slow motion. With her forehead resting against her arm against the wall of the alley, the slim black cellphone clatters to the damp and dirty alley with a barely audible click as everything overwhelms her at once.

Her choking sobs echo in the alleyway and drift down to the trio who had been waiting so patiently for her return. Instantly Aidan started to close the distance feeling the need to check up on his girlfriend when Kat stopped him with a hand on his arm and shook her head with a look that said this was going to be handled better by another woman. The leggy blonde made her way down the alley to where Lana was bawling and didn’t say a word beyond “Oh Lana” and just gently rubbed the girl’s back in an attempt to soothe her and calm her down.

She struggled to pull her emotions back into check, the sobs quieting down but her eyes were still brimming with tears that threatened to spill at a seconds notice. Before anything, Lana bent down and picked up her cellphone and glanced at the screen. True to her sister’s word the screen would still illuminate in brilliant detail, but now the service provider information was missing and “NO SERVICE” had taken its place in large block letters. She slipped the phone into her pocket beforeKat gave her friend a tight hug and kept her arm around the girl’s shoulder as they started to head back towards the opening of the alley.

At the mouth of the alley the girls were met with two expectant and concerned faces, Aidan opened his mouth and was about to speak when Kat once again shook her head and he quickly stopped his question. Lana looked up into his eyes, her own streaked with smudged and smeared black eyeliner and mascara, and quietly but firmly made her requests, though they sounded more like demands.

“I need a drink. And I need to get to the airport.”
grendel
12:09:11 Thursday, 11 January 2063 - Outside the ABC Convenience Store #2071, 6350 Woodridge Road, Renton, Seattle UCAS

The longer Litany remained on the block, the more certain she was that something just wasn't right. The air seemed colder here, filled with a harsher wind than that which swept down the street, carrying half-formed flurries of snow. The prickly feeling growing at the base of her neck was reserved only for the times immediately preceding gunfire, and she hurried to finish her snack. The air was somehow quieter here, outside these stores, filled not with the usual sounds of the city but with some kind of faint humming, a high pitched scream barely audible to the unaided ear. The hollow store front with its simplistic advertisements stares back at Litany in silent mocking.
grendel
00:21:29 Thursday 11 January 2063 - 862 Lucile Ave, Apt. 2C, Los Angeles, CFS

HardBitten's digital icon laughs nastily, but somehow Cosmo doesn't think he finds any humor in the situation.

"What do I think? I think you should make tracks for the hills as soon as possible. I think you're mixed up in something big and when the last domino falls it's going to fall hard. I've got some suspicions but I've got more fact checking to do. When I know more, you'll know more."
WinterRat1
00:06:41 Thursday, 11 January 2063 Sea-Tac International Airport

A little over an hour later they pulled up in front of Sea-Tac International Airport. Per Lana's 'requests', they'd first stopped by a local Stuffer Shack were Razor had gotten her a drink, several actually, which she'd consumed liberally on their way to the airport.

Now parked in the passenger drop off area, Kat turned to Lana, who'd just taken another long chug on her liquor, and asked, "What are we doing here Lana?"
bclements
20:53:47 Wednesday, 10 January 2063- The Sundowner Tavern, 14640 58th Ave S. Seattle, UCAS

“It’s just a little misunderstanding between me and Nas,” Roderick said as his hand came up to shake, a bit more congenial now that Leo was being less brutesque and more accomidating than when on the telecom. The quick reflexes didn't seem to phase him or his companion.

“And I’m sure that you’re caught up in this the same way I am, just a misunderstanding.” His minder behind him rolled his eyes at Roderick’s change of deamenor, before switching them back to checking the mostly empty diner.

Sitting down opposite of Leo, Roderick asked “What did Nas tell you? Remember, I can tell if you aren’t telling me everything” he added, winking a heavy eyelid. His companion rolled his almost real looking cybereyes again.
bclements
10:35:05 Sunday 14 January 2063 - The Green Papaya, 600 East Pine St, Seattle, UCAS

“Aye, don’t go on duty ‘till 1800” Roscoe said, reaching into a pocket of a long, battered synthwool coat and producing a cheap commlink. “Also, be a bit ahead of ya, mebee. Ready to receive, or just want me to tell ya?”
Cthulhu449
20:53:57 Wednesday, 10 January 2063- The Sundowner Tavern, 14640 58th Ave S. Seattle, UCAS

"I don't know about that, sir," Leo said shaking his head and waving the waitress away from refilling his glass, "She says people want to injur or kill you and she wants me to prevent that. Nastasya doesn't 'misunderstand' many things, and while I'm sure she's a damn good liar, I have to assume she is giving me legitimate information."

Leo paused a moment before switching gears once again, always keeping his voice even and formal despite the contrary nature of his statements.

"I don't want to cause you too great a disturbance, so if you were to give me a better idea what your situation is everything will go a lot smoother. It would benefit the both of us."
Vegas
01:06:41 Thursday, 11 January 2063 Sea-Tac International Airport

Lana cracked the safety seal on yet another Ork-sized nip of vodka and drained it before she tossed the bottle to join the growing collection at her feet. The growing buzz still wasn't enough to take the edge off of all that had happened, but if she kept drinking what was left of what Razor had picked up at the Stuffer, she'd be dead or passed out by dawn. Right now either felt acceptable.

"You guys are doing nothing, nothing except waiting here. Me, I'm going inside."

With slurred speech she fumbled with the door handle and stepped out of the car and attempted to stagger slightly towards the entrance on her search for storage locker number 763.
grendel
10:35:49 Sunday 14 January 2063 - The Green Papaya, 600 East Pine St, Seattle, UCAS

Vedic opens up his commlink to mesh with Roscoe's, sipping from his stoneware cup.

"Send both."
WinterRat1
01:17:23 Thursday, 11 January 2063 Sea-Tac International Airport

After several minutes of slightly drunken searching, Lana manages to locate storage locker 763. She carefully enters the code Nikol gave her and opens the locker. Inside is a medium sized black duffle bag. Grabbing the bag and double checking to make sure there's nothing else in the locker, she heads to the bathroom so she can have some privacy while she examines its contents.

Heading to the handicapped stall for more room, she locks the stall door behind her and opens the bag. Sitting on top of a pile of clothes is a note labeled simply, Svetlana. Opening the letter, she sees the letter is written in Russian with her sister's precise handwriting.

Dear Svetlana,

If you are reading this, something has gone extremely wrong. I cannot forsee how things may have gone wrong, and it is better that you do not know the details of why. Your reading this means you have chosen to survive on your own while I take care of the circumstances that necessitate our separation.

Within this bag I have enclosed some items I believe will be useful to you while I am away. The only item that needs explaining is the LTG number stored in the cell phone's memory labeled 'Emergency Only'. When you dial that number, ask for Mr. Fan, tell him Snow White sent you, and say your name is Rose Red.

It is very important you ONLY call this number if things get desperate. Do not contact him for anything short of a permanently life-altering situation. You must use your discretion to determine what qualifies, but remember not to contact him lightly.

Once I have dealt with whatever problems caused this situation I will contact you and bring you home safely. Until then, stay strong, take care of yourself, and be good.

Love,
Nikol

Rummaging through the bag, tears sprang to Lana's eyes again as she realized just how much her sister had prepared to take care of her, although she couldn't understand for the life of her why Niki had thought it necessary to be this prepared.

Making a quick inventory of the bag, she counted the following items:

- 5 sets of clothes for varying types of weather, perfectly sized to her and even in her preferred styles

- Cell Phone with one stored number, labeled 'Emergency Only'

- A Fake ID with the name Natasha Romanov. There is a note attached to the credstick reminding Lana to study the details of her ID in case she needs them

- A smaller bag labeled 'Survival Kit'

- Flashlight

- Two small packets that make Lana blush at first as she mistakes them for condoms. Upon closer examination, she sees they are labeled 'Trauma Patches' and come with instructions, which she makes a mental note to read later.

- A box with the standard red cross labeled 'Medkit'

- Two smaller boxes taped with duct tape to the sides of the Medkit labeled 'Medkit Supplies'

- A passport in her real name

- A passport in the name of Natasha Romanov with a note taped to it reminding her to only use this passport with the Fake ID

- One prepaid travel voucher for a suborbital flight to Moscow with a note stating if Lana does go home, to explain Nikol sent her home for safety and she [Nikol] would explain everything to their parents when she returned.

- Five certified credsticks for 1,000 nuyen.gif each!

More than slightly stunned, Lana rocked back on her heels, trying to digest the latest in what had been far too many surprises in the last 24 or so hours.

Vegas
01:17:35 Thursday, 11 January 2063 Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

It didn’t make sense. None of it made sense to her at all. As Lana looked over all of the contents of the duffle bag she wondered how long it had taken Niki to put this all together, not to mention just what could have precipitated such an event. She sat there on the toilet seat, the bag dwarfing her lap and she fingered the certified credsticks and had the type of instantaneous thought that nearly any teen who had 5k dropped in their lap would have.

“Time to party.”

As fleeting as that thought was, a glance back down into the bag also meant seeing the letter again, and all the trust that she’d be able to take care of herself with what she was given, even under the immense responsibility. She sat there with her eyes closed for what felt like an hour while only minutes ticked by. Soon she was repacking the bag, stuffing things back inside and slinging it over her shoulder. She knew in her current condition, now wasn’t the time to be studying the things Niki had left for her. The public bathroom at the airport wasn’t the right place either.

She hefted the bag up over one shoulder and let herself out of the stall. Pausing to look at herself in the mirror, she noticed she looked tired. Instead of aging her however, all the day’s trials and unexplained events just made her look painfully young and helpless. She took an extra few seconds to try to clean up the smudged eyeliner before splashing a bit of cold water on her face and heading back out towards the passenger drop-off area with her new things.

Coming out the doors she looked around and spotted Aidan’s car a little ways up from where they dropped her off. She made her way up to the door and rapped on the window to unlock the door before she climbed inside and scooted over towards Kat keeping the duffle bag to the other side of her near the door. She didn’t need her friend getting overly nosey as to what was inside. She didn’t make any attempt at first to explain its presence either.

“Thanks for waiting. Lets get out of here, before the cops ticket you for sitting here in the no standing zone.”
Konsaki
19:37:46 Thursday, 11 January 2063 – Tooth and Nail, West Galer St, Downtown Seattle, UCAS
Leon Mordred

Dro eyed Leon for a second before looking down at Freya. A second later, while his demeanor didn’t change much, the pale man moved to the side and let out a, “Yeah… It’s cool. No problems…”
Nodding, Leon stepped up towards the door and through it into the inside of the club. He slowed his step a little as he took on last look at up at the slightly taller tusker, but said nothing as he then continued towards the stairs up to the next floor.

Behind him, his little sister and the DJ shared smiles as looked down at the second elf walking through the door. One cute but arrogant; the other big but menacing, they just left it at that. Catching up with her elder brother, Freya called up to him as he walked up the stairs. “Where are we headed?”, she almost had to yell over the increasing volume of the music.
“Up to the ‘Trog Rock’ floor.”, the brown haired man said back down over the music. The sound of wailing guitars was gaining volume in the pounding baseline along with the screaming and yelling of the lead singer on the playing track. “We need to go through there to get anywhere else.”, he continued for no real reason but to say it.
WinterRat1
01:25:17 Thursday, 11 January 2063 Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

She noticed Aidan and Kat's eyes meeting as they glanced at each other in the rearview mirror, exchanging what appeared to be concerned looks, before Aidan said, "Uh, sure thing babe. But uh, where are we going?"
Vegas
01:25:47 Thursday, 11 January 2063 Metropolitan Park Apartments, 601 S. Washington St., Seattle

Lana leaned back against the backseat and exhaled slowly and redrew a breath with the same pace. She closed her eyes against the tears that were threatening to fall again, her fingers tightening around the handles of the duffle bag.

"I don't care where. Your place, a coffin motel. Anywhere but here so I don't get on the next plane to Moscow."

She let out the breath she was holding with a slow rush that assimilated a sigh and she felt the buzz that had numbed her slowly slipping away with each rotation of the tires as Aidan pulled away from the curb and back into the flow of traffic surrounding the airport.

This was going to be a delicate balancing act. How much could she tell her friends without putting them in jeopardy and how much was necessary to keep to herself but still keep their trust and keep them on her side.

Plus there was still Kat's problem with O'Halloran to deal with.

She dangerously wondered if the day could get any worse.
WinterRat1
02:13:26 Thursday, 11 January 2063 Aidan's Apartment

A little while later she sat on a tattered couch in Aidan's tiny apartment, nursing yet another drink as Kat, Aidan, and Razor (who'd volunteered to stay with them) looked on anxiously.

They kept exchanging glances, wanting to break the ice but unsure as to who should do it first and how.

After a while Aidan cautiously ventured, "So uh...you mind telling us what's going on Lana?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012