Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
grendel
15:04:11 Tuesday, 09 January 2063 - Home Improvement Warehouse, 2400 Hewitt Ave, Everett

Despite the Spiral's annoying habit of beguiling Joslyn into blazing along at 170 kph, he was still the last to arrive at the parking lot. Not by much, though: Remy's bike was still hot from his crosstown ride. Sliding out from the heated leather interior of the Spiral, Joslyn joined the other three in the cab of Noland's Land Rover.

Xade shared the surveillance images they'd taken in the intervening hours. The building appeared to be a four or five story industrial complex, dingy gray concrete walls and corrugated construction plastic roofing. The white van was parked in a kind of covered loading bay, mostly concealed from casual inspection. No other signs of habitation were visible in the brief video clip.

"There are multiple entrances and exits to the building, so we can't reliably contain them inside. We'll have to rely on direct action to neutralize them before they can exfiltrate. We'll enter on the opposite side and search from the bottom up. I'll lead, Joslyn, you're next in case we hit any security systems. Remy, right behind him in case we need support, and Noland will cover our six. Everyone got comms? Check your frequencies so we can talk, and make sure you're running passive."

She briefly highlights the primary and back-up comm frequencies on the link, before glancing around at them.

"Any questions?"
grendel
09:41:29 Thursday 11 January, 2063 – 35010 Von Schilling Way, Renton, Seattle

Kovacs goes very still, his face cold and remote. The heat seems to drain from the room, leaving nothing but a chill sewn through with tension. For a moment something harsh and terrible shadows his eyes. Then, like a lit window disappearing behind shutters, it's gone. He takes one ragged breath.

"I'm sorry. I involved you without your consent. I will make sure the situation is rectified."

His head, then his body pivots with the smooth precision of a gun turret swinging to bear and he walks out of the room. A minute later Mac hears the shower start.
Vegas
09:57:01 Thursday 11 January, 2063 – 35010 Von Schilling Way, Renton, Seattle

Slumped back against the wall, she felt like someone had knocked the breath out of her as soon as Kovacs left the room. For the first time in as long as she could remember, she actually felt vulnerable walking the line of this new arrangement with Kovacs. And with her back against the wall with de Medici, she’d been drawn into something that was far bigger than she was made aware of.

First things first, she needed answers. Then the “what comes next” would naturally sort itself out. She forced herself up off the floor and headed back towards the bathroom. Slipping inside the already steam-filled room, she hopped up onto the counter and waited for Kovacs to finish, making no move to join him. As he stepped out, Mac waited until he grabbed a towel before she said a word as he was hardly surprised to see her sitting there waiting for him picking at the traces of nail polish on her fingers.

“What are you going to do, take him on yourself to “fix” this? I know you’re good Kovacs, but that’s practically suicide. Besides, like it or not I’m caught up in the middle of it all and he knows it.”

She paused and drew in a deep breath of warm, steamy air as she refocused her gaze from her nails to his face.

“The thing is you were never supposed to know… That was his plan all along, use me to get to you. He wants you for a job, and now he can hold saving my ass over my head to get me to convince you to do it.”
DeliciousD
15:06:10 Tuesday, 09 January 2063 - Home Improvement Warehouse, 2400 Hewitt Ave, Everett

"Yeah, you need any a dese guys still standin' when we done?"

Joslyn casually looks over his pistol for one last time and checks the action on his extendable baton before putting them away again before accepting the offered soycaf from Remy.

"Ta chummer," he takes a sip before turning back to Xade "What sorta resources have dese guys got? We lookin' at some cobbled together security drek or something more up to date?"

grendel
10:05:32 Thursday 11 January, 2063 – 35010 Von Schilling Way, Renton, Seattle

Kovacs didn't look at Mac, his eyes fixed on some distant horizon as he stood still in the warm air of the bathroom. Beads of moisture crawled over the muscles on his chest and arms, dripping from the loose ends of his hair. His towel hung from his right hand, forgotten it seemed in the moment.

"About six months after my first job, I hooked up with a better team than I had been running with. There was an older samurai that took me under his wing. One of the things he told me was "You have to start with the end in mind. At the end there will be one last job, one final task that will be the last thing you do on the streets. Either you will emerge victorious, earning enough to escape the urban jungle, or you'll die trying."

He looked at his hands, one of worn and calloused flesh, the other of hardened ceramic and graphene.

"This is that job. de Medici knows you'll tell me or that I'll intuit the truth. He's counting on it, counting on my reaction. That's why we're going to do this job."

At last he looks up and meets Mac's gaze head on. Fire burns in him, a radiant dark furnace of intention. "Not alone. This will burn the last of the favors people owe me. But this will be the last thing I do on the streets. One way or another."

Turning, he steps in front of her. "One way or another I'll see you clear of this. I brought you along on the job, it's my fault you're involved. You have my word that once we're done de Medici won't bother you anymore."
grendel
15:08:07 Tuesday, 09 January 2063 - Home Improvement Warehouse, 2400 Hewitt Ave, Everett

"Having one alive to answer questions would be useful," replies Xade, adjusting the ride of her submachinegun where it's clipped to her load bearing harness. "They're likely to have a mixture of technologies at their disposal, from improvised traps and alarms, to sophisticated detection devices. They'll all be portable, though, nothing as challenging as fixed installation devices."

She glanced to Joslyn and then to Remy.

"Any other questions?"
Vegas
10:07:21 Thursday 11 January, 2063 – 35010 Von Schilling Way, Renton, Seattle

Mac opened her mouth to say something and quickly closed it, breaking his gaze and staring off to the floor to his right. She could see it in his eyes, there was no walking away from this. The intensity unnerved her because she knew it herself, that need for closure or dare say it, revenge.

He was a man who seemed to have made peace with the promise of his own death but struggled with that of others nightly. Kovacs remained this enigmatic contradiction, someone she just barely knew yet someone who fit into her life in a way no one else had. Mac wasn’t ready to give that up, not yet… Maybe not ever.

Mac lifted her head again and found Kovacs still watching her. A million different emotions boiled inside of her just below the surface but she kept her face neutral and nodded her acceptance ever so slightly.

“Okay. Then I’m in to make sure you walk away from this…Somehow. What do you need me to do?”

Her lack of sleep had been long forgotten and she sat poised on the edge of the counter primed and ready to do almost anything that he asked of her next.
Mach_Ten
15:08:32 Tuesday, 09 January 2063 - Home Improvement Warehouse, 2400 Hewitt Ave, Everett

QUOTE (Xade @ 15:08:07 Tuesday, 09 January 2063) *
"Any other questions?"

"Yeah, Umm you don't got sumtin long and sharp and pointy do ya ? alla my gear wuz in da fire"
grendel
15:10:53 Tuesday, 09 January 2063 - Home Improvement Warehouse, 2400 Hewitt Ave, Everett

A smile quirks the corners of Xade's lips, shimmering over the tension in her face. She glances towards Noland, but he's already opened the door and stepped out of the truck. She gestures for Remy to follow the tall ork around back. When he gets to the truck bed, Noland has dropped the gate and unrolled a flat black nylon mat. Strapped to the mat with velcro tie-downs are a dozen different weapons, including two swords, a tomahawk, combat axe, stun baton, two fixed blade combat knives, an extendable baton, a crow bar, two Halligan tools, and a monofilament chainsaw.

"Take your pick," says the samurai.
grendel
10:24:09 Thursday 11 January, 2063 – 35010 Von Schilling Way, Renton, Seattle

Kovacs looks over at Mac as if seeing her for the first time, and she reads the set in his shoulders correctly. The combat computer of his mind is running at speed, numbers spinning down on multiple courses of action as he weighs and evaluates the variables. Her own posture mirrors his, her body language telegraphing her willingness to follow his lead. The moment stretches, though, seconds longer than it should have, and Mac becomes aware of a different heat growing in the room, a flush creeping up the skin of her neck and cheeks as the hunger blossoms in his body. His shoulders arc forward slightly, his hands curling slightly as the predator emerged from beneath his skin.

Mac touched her tongue to her lips but never had a chance to say what was on her mind before Kovacs was on her, his mouth coming down on hers, his arms lifting her shirt over her head while her own hands pushed her running shorts down over her hips. Then she was in his arms, her legs locked around his waist as he thrust into her with raw and hungry passion.
Mach_Ten
15:10:53 Tuesday, 09 January 2063 - Home Improvement Warehouse, 2400 Hewitt Ave, Everett

There's something about Xades predatory smile that makes Remy feel like a mouse caught in a cats claws, he swallows hard and steps out of the warm vehicle confines.
Following Noland out into the cold air, Remy gets a shiver down his spine that is not altogether weather related.
He steps lightly after the big Samurai and glances around the near abandonned parking lot as Noland fixes the latch and opens the vehicle trunk.

There's a thousand separate ways of expressing glee, excitement, dread, joy, elation, nervousness
but all that he manages on seeing the array of goodies laid out before him is "meep!" that tries to represent all of the above in one single statement.

He takes a moment and selects a weapon at random, testing the heft and weight in a few awkward swings he feels the heat of embarrasment rising in his cheeks as the bigger guy observes,

replacing the current weapon his hand hovers over the chainsaw before selecting a simple sword of oriental design

it fits snugly against his waist, covered by the long coat, he bows his head in acknowledgement to Noland "Fanks, dat feels better!"
Vegas
10:31:43 Thursday 11 January, 2063 – 35010 Von Schilling Way, Renton, Seattle

Mac growled against his lips, her own need surprising her as her nails dug deep into his shoulders, raking over Kovacs’ skin and leaving angry red welts before he slammed her against the bathroom wall and continued to take from her body to satisfy the dark needs in both of them.

Pressed against tight against the wall beneath his weight, Mac felt his hand snake into her hair, fingers entangling at the back of her head for an instant before he yanked it back, exposing her neck. His mouth burned white-hot against her skin a moment before he sank his teeth into the tender flesh eliciting both a gasp of pleasure and the sharp cry of pain. She wrapped her legs tighter around Kovacs’ waist and urged him on pushing them both towards their peak.

He left her gasping and trying to catch her breath, the darkness in both of them sated at least for an instant. When Kovacs made no immediate move to put her down, Mac snaked her arms around him and buried her face against his neck as she rode the slowly ebbing waves of pleasure back down to reality.
DeliciousD
15:11:53 Tuesday, 09 January 2063 - Home Improvement Warehouse, 2400 Hewitt Ave, Everett

Joslyn watches Remy play with the blades for a moment. Torn between his hormonal response to kickass blades and the caution of an old mind, the cautious side of him wins out this time.

"De man counts more dan de blade," he cautions Remy as he steps out of the vehicle.

Standing up straight, he hops a couple of times to make sure that his gear doesn't make too much noise.

"We ain't gettin' no younger," he tells the group with a grin "Reckon we bes' get on wi' dis, 'for we t'ink twice."

After an unnecessary final check of his weapons, Joslyn puts on his glasses and flicks on the Ultrasound and Thermo, he stands still and slowly pans around for a few seconds to adjust himself to the input before turning to Xade.

"Ladies first."
grendel
15:18:27 Tuesday, 09 January 2063 - Bahr Industrial Processing Facility, 3280 Hewitt Ave, Everett

The buildings were somehow grayer and dingier than either Remy or Joslyn had imagined, Xades' terse brief not doing justice to the decay evident in the structure. The truck was parked a block away, the team approaching on foot in the marching order specified. Shadows crowded close around, even this early in the afternoon the sun lacked the strength to compete with the gray winter clouds.

Xade leads them out from cover and across a narrow alleyway to one of the open fire doors on the ground floor of the building. The murky darkness of the facility swallows them whole, and it is only through passive light intensification and thermal vision that the team is able to proceed up the short flight of stairs and out into the facility proper.

The interior has fared little better than the exterior, the halls are choked with an accumulation of trash and debris, the sodden remains of fire-resistant ceiling tiles lying clumped on the faded and torn linoleum floors. Cables and light fixtures hang like spiderwebs, although in many places they've been ripped down and scavenged for their recycling value. Xade moves like a ghost through the wreckage, her submachinegun snugged into the pocket of her shoulder. Joslyn trails a couple of steps behind, dividing his attention between scanning the halls and making sure he steps where she steps. Remy is behind him, doing his best to remain quiet yet alert for anything. Noland is a shadow flickering through the darkness, detectable only when he wants to be.

A tense fifteen minutes pass as the team scours through the first floor, finally discovering signs of recent movement in one of the central halls. Xade follows the tracks as they lead to one of the interior fire stairs, ascending deeper into the structure in pursuit of their quarry.
grendel
10:46:03 Thursday 11 January, 2063 – 35010 Von Schilling Way, Renton, Seattle

Kovacs turned and carried Mac into the shower, setting her down long enough to turn the water back on. As the warm spray sluiced down over her body, she felt him behind her, his left arm sliding around her waist and pinning her arms to her sides. His right hand gripped her throat, pulling her back against him. She gasped as the needles of water found her tight, sensitive nipples. Kovacs' mouth was on the tender flesh of her shoulder, biting down as he thrust into her again. Mac let her hands reach back, grasping his ass and feeling the rhythm of the hard muscles there, urging him on. Nothing else seemed to matter in this moment beyond the hunger inside them, and the hot slide of skin against skin. The fear was gone, fatigue and tension submerged beneath the raw emotional connection.

All too soon it was over, Mac once again resting against him, her arms draped over his shoulders. She could feel his breath against her skin, the water still rushing over them.
Vegas
10:57:31 Thursday 11 January, 2063 – 35010 Von Schilling Way, Renton, Seattle

Mac didn’t make a move to let go and rested her head against Kovacs’ chest as she felt, dare she say it, safe wrapped up in his arms. It was a dangerous and heady feeling that she reveled in until the water started to run cold and chased them both from the shower.

As they dried off and wrapped themselves up in towels, Mac could feel her guard go up slightly, automatically and out of habit to protect herself. She didn’t get involved, it was always rule number one in her life. Involvement meant complications. Complications meant things got messy, fast. She stared at the floor as she squeezed the water out of her hair like nothing had happened just moments before.

She caught him watching her, giving her that look he had that pierced right through her like none of her walls meant a damn. She looked back up at him, her eyes tracing each and every scar that mapped out across his chest until she locked onto his eyes, studying them and his face trying to make sense of it all and answer the questions spinning through her mind.

The pull she felt was almost magnetic as she crossed the short distance to Kovacs, her towel discarded to the floor before she stood before him and rose up on her toes. She whispered into his ear, her breath a warm caress against his skin.

“Why Kovacs?” She laughed softly, almost nervously as she paused, “Why do you make me want to throw all my rules out the window?”
grendel
11:02:18 Thursday 11 January, 2063 – 35010 Von Schilling Way, Renton, Seattle

Kovacs slipped his arms around Mac's slim waist, the odd temperature mismatch between organic and synthetic only serving to highlight their latent strength. But it was a calm energy that suffused the embrace, and not the manic hunger of moments before.

"Because rules are meant to be broken," he said in answer. "We live our lives by them, and they exist to remind us of lessons learned at bitter price. But nothing in this world is static, least of all us. It takes discipline to live by your rules. But it takes wisdom to know when to disregard them."

He buried his face in her hair, inhaling the damp, clean scent of her, his eyes closed as if he were trying to memorize every nuance. As if he would never be this close to her again. Then the moment passed, and his embrace slackened, the shutters behind his eyes sliding closed, armoring his soul once more. He groped Mac's ass then gave her a swat.

"Enough. Get some clothes on. We'll stop for lunch on the way to Locus' place. Your weapons are ready."

11:41:47 Thursday 11 January, 2063 – Alborz Persian Restaurant, 2838 Westmere Ave S, Bellvue, Seattle, UCAS

They sat at a small table on the side wall, a position that offered great views of both front and rear exits, as well as being covered from casual surveillance from the parking lot. They at hummus and lamb, using thin triangles of pita bread as platters. Mac tried the dolmades, but didn't like them, settling instead for an extra helping of salad. Kovacs ordered an extra plate of gyros to go. Mac looked at him quizzically.

"Saving some for later?"

He shook his head. "Not exactly. I'm going to deliver some bad news to a friend of mine. And it always goes down easier with food."
Vegas
11:53:01 Thursday 11 January, 2063 – Outside Alborz Persian Restaurant, 2838 Westmere Ave S, Bellevue, Seattle, UCAS

Mac nodded once both out of understanding and acceptance. A smile pulled at her lips as the pair descended into their routine and comfortable silence as they waited for his to-go order to be boxed up. It wasn’t long before the gyros were delivered to their table and she was slipping her coat back up to her shoulders.

Stepping out into the cold Mac shivered visibly and pulled her coat around her to try to ward off the cold, but it was a deeper chill than just the weather. She watched her breath plume in the air as they walked towards the Rover. Each step brought on a growing mix of excitement and apprehension at the thought of heading to Locus’ shop and picking up her new toys. It would open an entirely new chapter in her life and add a new dimension to their relationship.

She watched as Kovacs walk a step or two ahead of her, alert but closed off, and she quickened her pace to catch up and then match his steps before they paused outside the Rover.

“So, are you going to read me into what’s going on? Or do I get to guess or worse, fly blind on whatever storm is brewing on the horizon?”
grendel
12:08:43 Thursday 11 January, 2063 – Northbound on I405, Bellevue, Seattle, UCAS

Kovacs drove in silence for a moment, then took a deep breath.

"Five years ago my team pulled down the last job we would ever take. It was the big one, the one you bet your entire roll on, and if you play your cards right, you take the house. If not, well, there wouldn't be anyone left alive to remember. Seven of us went in, four came out. Burnett lay where he fell, we couldn't go back for him. Fastlane and Regall we buried in an anonymous patch of jungle. We buried our identities with them as well. And we were out. We could never see each other again, never go back to any of the places we used to go, never meet any of the contacts we used to have. If we were going to remain safe, if we were going to ever stay clear of our past, we had to make a clean break with it."

He pauses, his eyes distant.

"But I couldn't leave it behind. I spent a year drifting through life, doing what I thought I always wanted to do before realizing how fundamentally dissatisfied I was. It was then that I came to understand the nature of a predator. But I respected the wishes of the others, when I slipped back into the life I was careful to isolate them from anything I did. It was important to me that even if I were to fall on the streets, they would still be safe in the lives we'd fought and bled to purchase."

His fingers drum on the steering wheel, tapping out a complex rhythm.

"But this job with de Medici is going to require more than just us. It's going to take the best operators I know. The best I've ever worked with. I can only hope that they'll forgive me for jeopardizing what they've worked for and at least listen. If not, well there's always Plan B."

A wry smile twists his mouth and Mac wonders just what it might mean, and what Plan B involves.
Vegas
12:15:05 Thursday 11 January, 2063 – Northbound on I405, Bellevue, Seattle, UCAS

Mac sunk back against the front seat and listened, a sense of dread building in the pit of her stomach as she started to think this through. What on God’s green earth would she be able to bring to the table to really help Kovacs and his best of the best team?

Nervous fingers snaked into the inside pocket of her jacket and fished out the pack of Haukodo’s and she shakily placed a slim black and gold stick between her lips. She made no motion to light it while in the car, but she pulled a deep drag on it just the same. The faintest taste of clove and spice filled her mouth and calmed her nerves ever so slightly.

She felt incredibly small and inadequate and she hated that feeling.

“So what’s Plan B?”
grendel
12:23:21 Thursday 11 January, 2063 – Northbound on I405, Snohomish, Seattle, UCAS

"We run," replied Kovacs, his voice blunt. "Go to ground somewhere far away. Austin, maybe. Chicago. Miami. Cape Town. Vladivostok. Somewhere expensive for de Medici to come after us. We'd stay off the grid for a month or so before coming back up to see what the weather was like. Then it would be time to start over."

Once more he lapses into silence, a look on his face that Mac is becoming familiar with. It's a mask of relaxed neutrality that indicates his mind is crunching through questions of plans and logistics. Clearly Plan B is more than just an offhand comment. Road noise fills the void between them, and Mac stares out the window at the buildings and traffic flashing past, drawing thoughtfully on her cigarette. The tease of clove and nicotine across her tongue was doing a bit to wash away the tension she felt shimmering through her muscles, but she knew it wouldn't be enough to totally banish the whispers of worry in her mind.

12:37:07 Thursday, 11 January 2063 - Kern's Auto Repair and Salvage, 7080 Toulon Road, Everett, UCAS

It was a straight shot off the interstate down Toulon Road to their destination, and Mac stubbed out her cigarette as the Land Rover bumped through the gate and down a long driveway towards a heavy duty two bay garage. Off to the left was another gated entrance that lead to a gravel lot overflowing with rusting automobiles of every make and color. To the right was a pre-fab doublewide trailer, fenced in by a neatly kept white picket fence. Half a dozen flower and garden pots filled the yard, morose and empty in the chill winter sun, along with a jumble of child's toys.

Kovacs pulled up to the side of the second bay, killing the engine and glancing around for a moment before dismounting from the truck. He carried the take-out sack in his left hand, waiting by the front of the truck for Mac to join him before walking towards the figure hunched over the open engine compartment of a Mercury Comet. The man straightened at their approach, wiping his hands on a rag and stepping out from the shadows of the garage.

Mac belatedly realized he was an ork, the distinguishing metatype traits only visible in the direct light. The smile on his face faded as recognition flashed in his eyes, then the corner of his mouth turned up.

"I've always wondered what I would feel when you walked back into my life. I always guessed it would be lead."

Kovacs halted a few steps away. "It's good to see you again, Drift."

The two men stared at one another for a moment before the ork reaches out and embraces Kovacs.

"Jesus, it's been a long time," says Drift, stepping back. Kovacs held up the take-out bag and the ork accepts it, his face clouding with suspicion.

"Not long enough that I don't remember your bribes, though."

Kovacs smiled. "I'm a creature of habit, the old ways still work the best for me. Drift, I'd like you to meet Mac. She's working with me now."

The ork smiled around a mouthful of gyro, stuffing the half eaten pita back into the bag and wiping his hand on his coveralls so he could shake Mac's. "Pleathed to meet ya!"

The screen door on the trailer banged shut, and the three of them turned to watch as the lady of the house stepped out into the yard. She was tall and broad shouldered, with ink black hair that danced in the afternoon breeze, tresses curling about her face and neck. The child she cradled on her hip looked to be around two or three, a chubby brown haired boy that clutched at the fabric of her blouse, his cheeks pink from the chill air.

"You have a place we can talk?" asked Kovacs, his voice as wintery as the wind curling off the Sound.

"C'mon inside," replied Drift, his tone echoing that of the tall samurai.
Vegas
12:49:55 Thursday, 11 January 2063 - Kern's Auto Repair and Salvage, 7080 Toulon Road, Everett, UCAS

Having exchanged pleasantries with Drift, Mac followed a step or two behind the pair of men as they made their way inside the garage, casting a quick glance back over her shoulder at the life Kovacs was about to ask Drift to leave behind. She tried to shake the twinge of guilt from her head as she paused just inside the second garage bay’s door and leaned up against the wall as the pair walked into the small office off to the left to talk.

She placed another cigarette between her lips and lit it, inhaling deeply as her eyes kept moving about her surroundings, watching the gravel road they came down, the lot full of salvage vehicles and ultimately landing and lingering on a sun-faded kid-sized truck that was buried in the snow. She exhaled a steady stream of spicy blue smoke into the air as her stomach knotted again.

She kept her watch as the pair of men started their conversation, forcing herself to concentrate to pick up the important bits and pieces while politely giving the pair their space to get reacquainted. Mac looked up one more time and caught sight of Drift’s wife and son, the woman’s eyes piercing and inquisitive before she turned on a heel and let the screen door slam shut behind them.

Mac made quick work of the remaining half of her cigarette before she carefully ground it out and moved further into the garage to linger just inside the doorway to the office, her ears tuned to the conversation, her eyes still watched out the garage door.
grendel
15:21:06 Tuesday, 09 January 2063 - Bahr Industrial Processing Facility, 3280 Hewitt Ave, Everett

Joslyn is concentrating so completely on moving quietly and placing his feet exactly where Xade steps that he doesn't see she's stopped until he almost collides with her. Recoiling, he stifles the mutter of surprise the springs to his lips, glancing back to try and ensure that Remy doesn't make the same mistake. The young ork hasn't, but only because he's so fixated on the obviously new fiber optic wire tacked to the wall that he misses the top step of the stairs completely, tripping and catching himself on outstretched arms. The noise of the fall is bad enough, but the pain that shoots upward from the injured hands he catches himself on is worse, and it's only through a supreme act of will that he keeps from shouting out loud. Xade's face goes pinched and white, but Noland gestures towards the fiber optic cable and she nods, glancing out the door to follow it down the hallway and deeper into the industrial structure.

The team winds its way through wide hallways, cluttered with trash and debris, before coming to a halt before a pair of open cargo bay doors. Dim halogen light and muted voices filter through the doors. Xade glances back along the combat stack, making eye contact with every member.

"Leave one alive," she hisses. Then she turns back to the door and lifts her submachinegun to her shoulder.
grendel
12:53:28 Thursday, 11 January 2063 - Kern's Auto Repair and Salvage, 7080 Toulon Road, Everett, UCAS

"Two years ago I took a job from a Johnson. I was working with a couple others at the time, small, nothing big, quality operators who were moving up the ranks. He works for Yamatetsu NorthAm, and although we didn't know it at the time, he's one of their highest ranking trouble shooters. Calls himself de Medici, probably not his given name but he's used it for so long its the only one the streets know him by. The job was complex, requiring precision timing. We finished well, a little blood was shed, but nothing that could fall back on the team or him. Made the drop, got the money, done deal, or so I thought. I found out later that the job was just a pretext for him to try me out. He had intel on you, Tristan, and Suda. Told me that I could have it in exchange for three more jobs."

Kovacs paused and Drift swallowed the last of his gyro.

"What kind of intel?"

"Names, places, dates, jobs. Even though it was just the last three or four jobs we pulled down, it would have been enough to put us away for life. I got Isomer to burn out his online copies, I closed half a dozen other leaks myself, but I couldn't get at his hard copies. So I did the jobs."

"Sonuvabitch," muttered Drift. Mac isn't quite clear who the ork is referring to, but Kovacs doesn't seem to take offense.

"You would have done the same. I got the intel and buried it. I didn't trust him, though, so I had Isomer clean out your trails again. Sorry about the hit to your credit rating."

Drift shrugged. "I was curious as to what happened, that explains it, though. You still haven't said why you're here."

Kovacs takes a breath. "I did one more job for him. I needed the money since most of my reserves were gone after the counter-intel operations. I involved her. Now de Medici has a target on her and unless I do another job for him, her death is on my tally."

Mac meets Drift's gaze with a level, almost defiant look, but he has little interest in recriminations.

"You're going to burn him out, aren't you?"

Kovacs nods. "It's likely that this whole charade was to bring the four of us back together so that de Medici can either kill us all, or spend us against a Tier One target. I want to run a double blind, do the mission, and torch his entire department on the backside. It's going to be biblical. You won't be able to stay afterwards. And there's liable to be some collateral." The tall samurai glances meaningfully in the direction of the trailer and, by extension, the woman and child within. Drift grimaces.

"Even if I say no, we'll have to leave. There'll be collateral from you alone."

Again, Kovacs nods. "I know. I just wanted you to hear the bad news from me directly."

Silence fills the office, both men staring at one another for long seconds. Then, with a sigh, Drift nods.

"The balance is in your favor, and you're a better man than I for not bringing it up. She's got family she can stay with until I catch up with her again."

He holds his hand out and Kovacs grasps his forearm, pressing their wrists together: a swordsman's handshake.

"Thanks."

Drift snorts. "Don't thank me yet. I'm years behind SOTA."

The comment draws a smile and a shrug from Kovacs. "I won't tell if you won't. You still have the machines?"

"Bears drek in the woods?" replies Drift without hesitation. Kovacs grins.
DeliciousD
15:21:06 Tuesday, 09 January 2063 - Bahr Industrial Processing Facility, 3280 Hewitt Ave, Everett

Joslyn suppresses an exasperated sigh as Remy falls down. He offers a hand to the young Ork and helps him up, then gives him a light slap on the head and holds a finger up to his lips, signalling silence.

Once he's convinced that Remy's stable, Joslyn notes the increased agitation in Xade's posture and reaches into his pocket. Bringing out his vial of Cram, he breathes out heavily, trying to centre himself before snorting the contents of the vial.

He stands perfectly still, it's been a while since he used but he knows the drill;

Breath, in...out...in...out, keep calm

His eyes start darting around, taking in every unnecessary detail, until he forces his focus onto his hands, he pulls out his pistol and slowly exhales

You're good, just don't think about the comedown.

When Xade looks at him, Joslyn gives a slightly manic grin and a nod.

Vegas
12:54:13 Thursday, 11 January 2063 - Kern's Auto Repair and Salvage, 7080 Toulon Road, Everett, UCAS

As Kovacs laid out the reality of the situation, that once again she owed him her life, she felt the floor drop out beneath her. She was grateful for the strength of the doorway she leaned against at that moment, as if she was forced to take a step, she would have likely dropped to her knees. Instead she screwed on her poker face and continued to listen.

She still thought that the idea of going after de Medici sounded and felt like a suicide mission, but then she had a feeling it wouldn’t just be the three of them going after him.

She quirked a brow over Drift’s change in demeanor and the pairs excitement over something else well over her head and spoke up.

“The Machines?”
grendel
15:21:08 Tuesday, 09 January 2063 - Bahr Industrial Processing Facility, 3280 Hewitt Ave, Everett

Even to his narcotic-fueled perception, things move quicker than Joslyn was ready for. Xade moves, and both Noland and Remy push Joslyn through the doors behind her. The room revealed is large, perhaps five meters on a side, with several long work tables strewn with parts and gear as well as four cots and a small cookstove. A figure, indistinct in a camo jumpsuit, lunges past one of the tables. Xade swings her weapon to bear, but it's a three round burst from Noland that knocks the figure to the ground. Another stands next to a wall locker of gear, submachinegun in hand, while a third kneels in the doorway on the far side of the room.
grendel
13:02:56 Thursday, 11 January 2063 - Kern's Auto Repair and Salvage, 7080 Toulon Road, Everett, UCAS

Kovacs glanced back at Mac. "What, you didn't think I kept him around just for his rakish good looks, did you?"

This brought another snort of derisive laughter from Drift, who motioned them to follow as he disappeared deeper into the shop. "Although you have to admit I am pretty damn handsome," commented the ork. "I've aged well, like fine wine."

"You mean you've aged into vinegar," corrected Kovacs as they stepped out of the rear of the garage and through a narrow passage between stacks of crushed automobiles that joined it to a large, dusty quonset hut.

"I've forgotten how much good you do to a fellow's ego." Drift's tone was full of mock wistfulness, the rigger glancing back at the two of them before keying in the combo to the very modern looking maglock securing the hut. The interior was inky with shadows, the wan afternoon sun doing nothing to illuminate the contents beyond a narrow shaft admitted by the open door. Drift disappeared down the side of the building for long enough that Mac's eyes could begin to make out several large, angular shapes covered by pale protective cloth.

With the throw of a breaker, the overhead halogens flicker on, rapidly gaining strength to full illumination. But the first pale light is enough to reveal the nature of the machines to Mac.

Closest to her is a sports car, although with the aftermarket additions it takes her a moment to recognize the lines of a Mitsubishi Shadow. The vehicle has an odd, zig-zag neon green pattern laid over its matte black skin, the irregular geometry leaving her feeling increasingly queasy the longer she stares at it. Luckily, the other two machines provide a convenient excuse for her to look away. Or, rather, the central machine does.

The truck on the far side is an Ares Roadmaster, the lines of the heavy duty cargo vehicle so familiar and ubiquitous that Mac hardly spares a glance at it. Certainly she doesn't pay much attention after she realizes that the vehicle staring her in the face is some kind of armed and armored helicopter.

Painted in a muted light gray/dark gray/ dark blue camouflage, the helo squatted like an restive technological dragonfly. It's five bladed main rotorblades drooped over the other two vehicles, while the twin sliding doors to the cabin stood open. From where she stood Mac could see the thickness of the cockpit's armored bubble canopies, the pilot's stepped up to the rear from the front gunner's position. Stubby weapon wings sloped down from the aft fuselage, weapon pylons empty but ready. There was no mistaking the chin turret, though, and its paired cannon barrels, nor the triple cluster of barrels that extended along the right side of the fuselage.

"Ordnance?" asked Kovacs, a sharpness to his tone that Mac has come to understand means he's planning. Drift shakes his head.

"Only for the vigilant and vanquisher, nothing for the hardpoints," replied Drift morosely. Kovacs clapped his teammate on the shoulder.

"Don't worry about it. I know a guy. Now, let's go find Suda."

"Are you sure you want to talk to her next?" asks Drift, his tone leaving little doubt as to the chances of success he thought that conversation would have. "You remember what happened last time, right?"

Kovacs rubbed his side, a spot that Mac knew was decorated by a jagged keloid of scar tissue. "I'm hoping she's calmed down in her old age."

Drift snorted, shutting off the lights again. "I think her age should be the last thing you bring up in conversation."
Vegas
13:05:41 Thursday, 11 January 2063 - Kern's Auto Repair and Salvage, 7080 Toulon Road, Everett, UCAS

Mac couldn’t help but let out a low, appreciative whistle at the assortment of vehicles and especially the sheer power and nastiness of the helo. If she wasn’t already certain of how far out of her league she was with Kovacs and his crew, this certainly sealed the deal.

She reined in her laughter to a cough and a nod over Drift’s age comment and stepped back into the hallway, headed towards the garage. Halfway down she looked back over her shoulder to Kovacs as Drift finished locking up the door.

“You sure you don’t want to bring the helicopter? Sounds like you might need it for backup?” Mac said teasingly, her light attempt at humor her defensive mechanism to cover for how completely out of her element that she felt.
grendel
13:14:06 Thursday, 11 January 2063 - Kern's Auto Repair and Salvage, 7080 Toulon Road, Everett, UCAS

Kovacs flashes Mac a grin to let her know he gets the humor, but the expression shimmers over hard lines of tension, and fades quickly. At the front of the garage, he turns back to Drift.

"I'll let you know our progress via drop. I don't have a timeframe but I expect to be contacted by de Medici within the next few days. Be ready to roll by Tuesday. Get me a list of heavy ordnance as soon as you can."

Drift nodded. "Be careful."

"If I'd have been careful, we wouldn't be in this mess," replied Kovacs. The two men shake hands once more before the taller samurai climbs aboard the Land Rover and points the truck south.

Several minutes pass in silence.

Then Kovacs draws a deep breath.

"Our meeting with Suda is likely be unpleasant. Be ready to get out quickly."
Vegas
13:21:39 Thursday, 11 January 2063 – Outside Kern's Auto Repair and Salvage, 7080 Toulon Road, Everett, UCAS

Fan-fragging-tastic.

“Gee Kovacs you know just what to say to a girl to make her feel all warm and fuzzy inside.”

Mac let out a long soft sigh before the pair descended into their silence routine and the road rumbled on beneath them. The lack of sleep was starting to creep back in over her adrenaline highs of the morning and she was already not looking forward to their next stop. She closed her eyes for a moment to center herself, adjusted some of the tension out of her neck and refocused her attention on Kovacs before she spoke up again.

“So anything else you want to tell me about her before we show up on her doorstep, uninvited?”
Mach_Ten
15:21:08 Tuesday, 09 January 2063 - Bahr Industrial Processing Facility, 3280 Hewitt Ave, Everett

Remy had seen enough of his running mates using substances to know what Joslyn had probably just taken,
but it suddenly dawned on him that he had been thrust into a very deadly situation..
The guy looks young but the eyes, they'd seen a thing or two, and if that experience said "Drugs are the answer" then Remy was suddenly feeling very small again in a big old world.

"Drek!" a single word that summed up a whole lot of the situation, the Door pounded open and before he had time to even draw a breath he was deep in it once more.

Adrenaline surged through him, the simsense recorder kicking in with a thought and Remy was already playing back his finest moments of the upcoming fight before they had already happened.

In his mind, he is the superhero that saves the day and gets the girl,
only heroes don't usually get wounded by their own gun exploding.. and slowly, in his mind the hero crashes and burns.
all confidence fading from his face he turns an ashen grey. he looks around for an exit other than the door he is in front of

"Drek!" He was deep in it again! the fear welled up and threatened to take hold, make him run and flee from here, the pain would be almost unbearable.. but the steady hand on his back forces him forward, like a statue of fluid rock, Noland urges Joslyn forward and his other hand slips from Remy's shoulder to raise his weapon and let rip into the room.

He seems to radiate an aura of confidence and Remy absorbs it and soars across the room as bullets erupt from the automatic weapon, sword raised above his head, he has his target and the red mist descends in his vision,
"Not again!" he cries and follows up with a wide arc of the new gleaming blade.
grendel

Remy's charge carries him across the room in three great strides, his sword flashing down in the chaotic mix of shadows and muzzle flashes. The stocky Winternight soldier tries to block with the stock of his submachinegun, twisting to the side. He's not quick enough, though, the young ork's blade sliding in beneath the defense to score a bone deep slice across his arm and abdomen below the splinter plate of his armor. Remy grins, starkly gleeful, and prepares for a follow up strike.

A pair of gunshots echoes, shockingly close as Xade pumps two rounds from her Colt into the same target, body-checking Remy towards the door on the far side of the room. The ork whuffs in surprise at the force of the hit, stumbling forward off balance. He twists as he falls, unconsciously snaking an arm around Xade's waist as they tumble out the door and into the hallway. The room behind them detonates in white fury. Joslyn has time to see the face of the bomber, and the radiant exultation in his expression, before the blast wave erases everything and throws him and Noland back into the hallway.
DeliciousD
15:21:10 Tuesday, 09 January 2063 - Bahr Industrial Processing Facility, 3280 Hewitt Ave, Everett

"Drek!"

Joslyn throws his arms up to cover his face as the shock wave blasts him back into the hall, cursing all the way.

His narcotic-sped mind races through his options but his Security and Military training kick in.

That might not be the only bomb, get to cover, keep survivors safe

Dragging himself to his feet, Joslyn grabs a strap on Noland's armour and yanks him to the side of the door before poking his head around to check the situation.

"Sound off people! You still breathing?"

Was that fragger smiling? Drek!
grendel
15:21:13 Tuesday, 09 January 2063 - Bahr Industrial Processing Facility, 3280 Hewitt Ave, Everett

Fueled by adrenaline and narcotics, Joslyn manages to yank Noland out of the room and into the hallway. Some analytical part of his mind, though, notes that he'll be paying for the exertion tomorrow. The bulky ork samurai rolls to his knees, ignoring the half dozen pieces of smoldering shrapnel embedded in his armor and flesh. He covers the security specialist as Joslyn ducks back into the room through the twisted wreckage of the door.

The satchel charge has reduced the occupants and contents of the room to component pieces, blood and viscera splashed on the walls by the devouring buzzsaw of shrapnel and blast overpressure. A hand, naked and pristine, rests on the floor attached to a fleshless ulna and radius. Joslyn fears the worst, remembering how far into the room both Xade and Remy were. By the dim light filtering in through the hallway, though, he can just make out their forms through the door on the opposite side of the room.

The young ork rolls onto his back, sword still in hand and a wild look of fury in his eyes. He seems ready to leap up and start hacking at the rapidly cooling body parts in raw bloodlust. The emotion fades rapidly though as he realizes that Xade is lying full length on top of him, her back a sodden, bloody mess.
grendel
13:43:02 Thursday, 11 January 2063 – Southbound Highway 99, Seattle, UCAS

"Suda is a Cat shaman," explained Kovacs after a moment. "She's very good at what she does. She has what one might call a 'mercurial' temperament, though. She blamed me for the team breaking up after our last job. Words were said."

Mac glances over at the older samurai, her eyes seeking the spot on his side that hosted the twisted scar she remembered. A smile tugged at her lips. I'll bet it was more than just words.

He sighed. "I'm fairly certain she's still upset. What I don't know is if she'll hold off long enough to hear my offer before pulling the trigger. Definitely keep your guard up until I know for sure."

Mac opened her mouth to say don't worry about me, but then closed it upon reflection of how untrue that statement would have been. Instead she reached over and rested her hand on Kovacs' thigh, giving it a little squeeze. After a moment, he covered her hand with his. They rode the rest of the way in silence.

13:51:28 Thursday, 11 January 2063 - 8047 Shade Creek Pl, Tacoma, UCAS

The general rundown nature of the two story house they parked in front of matched the dilapidated state of the neighborhood overall. Yards grew untended, buildings stood empty or only sullenly occupied, paint flaking off siding and trim, abandoned automobile carcasses littering the streets. Kovacs scanned the area carefully, a tense energy suffusing his body. It put Mac on edge as well, and she twisted her head, eyes dancing from shadow to shadow in an effort to drink everything in.

With a muttered "let's go," Kovacs slid out from the driver's seat and headed down the short stone walkway. Easing up the steps onto the porch, he tried to peer through the windows, but was defeated by the thick layer of grime as well as the remaining mirror tint. With a sigh, he squared his shoulders and knocked on the door.

The speed at which things happened next stunned Mac.

Responding as if the knock was its signal to attack, a bulky, earthy humanoid manifested on the porch next to Kovacs. The tall samurai moved as if he'd been expecting something like this to happen. He planted his left palm onto Mac's chest, sending her flying off the porch while his right buried itself into the spirit's midsection. The creature snarled and smashed a heavy fist into Kovacs sending him crashing through the door and into the house. Mac scrambled backwards, not out of fear of the spirit per se, but of what Kovacs left behind inside it.

The spirit turned at the movement, the blank hollows of its eyes narrowing. Then the grenade detonated. The blast ripped the spirit in half, pelting Mac with a shower of gravel.

Kovacs rolled to a knee, his submachinegun already butted to his shoulder. Suda put down the book she'd been reading, yawned, and stretched as if her porch wasn't covered by a spirit attempting to put its meat body back together.

"Well, well, well," she purred. "Look what the cat dragged in."
Vegas
13:53:07 Thursday, 11 January 2063 - 8047 Shade Creek Pl, Tacoma, UCAS

Mac slowly got back up to her feet, her eyes moving quickly between what she could see of Kovacs, Suda and the slowly reforming spirit on the porch. The air around her was thick with tension and she watched her back as well. She heeded his warning and kept herself ready to run at a moment’s notice but took a couple steps towards the house, until she was just at the edge of the porch.

She pulled her pack of cigarettes from her pocket and slowly brought one to her lips and lit it, the tip of the black paper glowing a brilliant amber as her eyes locked on Suda. Mac knew the tone of her voice all too well, the gentle purr that masked the real emotion behind it, because she had used it so many times herself. This woman was dangerous, and it wasn’t all because of the mana she was able to control.

She held back, exhaled a stream of pale blue smoke and waited for one of them to make the next move, she liked to live dangerously, but she wasn’t stupid. Just like Drift, it was Kovacs’ history that brought them here and she wasn’t about to assume to interject herself into the middle of it any more than he had already done.
grendel
13:58:41 Thursday, 11 January 2063 - 8047 Shade Creek Pl, Tacoma, UCAS

Kovacs stood warily, his gaze traveling around the room in a deliberate scan.

"It's good to see you again, Suda," he said, mostly out of a lack of anything else to say. "You're looking well."

The slim shaman smiled, dismissing her spirit back to the ether with a snap of her wrist. "Of course I am, but you're kind to say so. I can see the years haven't been quite as kind to you, although you're still as fast as I remember. Who's your young friend?"

From her vantage point Mac can meet Suda's gaze as she speaks, her dark eyes inquisitive and mischievous.

"My protege," replied Kovacs. Suda glanced back at him with an arched eyebrow.

"Yeah, that too," he admitted. The dark haired woman laughed, low and throaty. Stretching again, she stood and walked back towards the curtained doorway leading out of the room.

"Well don't leave her standing there," she threw over her shoulder, "come inside so we can talk business."

Kovacs let his submachinegun drop on its sling, adjusting the ride of the weapon so it disappeared beneath his jacket. Turning, he beckoned to Mac, who crushed out her cigarette and joined him.

"Don't trust her," she muttered, sotto voce, "she's up to something."

"She's a Cat," replied Kovacs in a similar tone, "she's always up to something. But you're right."

Stepping through the curtains brought them into a large dining area adjoining a very modern looking kitchen. Suda already had a trio of glasses filled with iced lemonade and was in the process of unwrapping a small plate with crackers, summer sausage, and cheese.

"So, what's the job about?" she asked, setting the plate on the counter and snagging a thin slice of sausage for herself. She listened patiently as Kovacs outlined the same story he'd told Drift, probing on occasion with questions. When he finished, she took a healthy drink from her glass before smiling.

"Fair enough, what do you need from me?"

"Astral delousing," replied Kovacs. "I don't know de Medici's magical resources but I'm guessing they're robust. I need to make sure he doesn't have any shadows on us."

"Easy day," replied Suda. She paused, looking at the taller samurai as if seeing him for the first time.

"You know I'm going to betray you, don't you?"

He nodded. "It's your way, I've anticipated it."

Suda laughed, light and musical. "You always were my favorite, Kovacs. Call me when you're ready for the opening moves."

The samurai nodded, standing. "Thanks for the lemonade. It's good to be working with you again, Suda."

Something that might have been affection danced in the slim shaman's cruelly beautiful eyes, and it softened the curve of her lips as she smiled. "I've missed you, too, Kovacs."

The tall samurai gestured Mac out before him, waiting until they were safe inside the cab of the Land Rover before exhaling sharply. He stared at the house's worn exterior for a moment.

"That went entirely like I didn't anticipate."

Mach_Ten
15:21:13 Tuesday, 09 January 2063 - Bahr Industrial Processing Facility, 3280 Hewitt Ave, Everett

"please be breathing, please be breathing, oh drek, please be breathing!"
Remy can hardly control the emotions running rampant through him and fuelled by fear and adrenaline like hitting nitrous on an engine.
They dull the agony in every part of his body and quieten the ringing in his ears from the blast and the fall to the floor.

He reaches out to his side and pushes the sword away with numb fingers that are stripped and raw, he winces at the clatter it makes on the cold ground in the sudden silence surrounding them,
looking around he can't see Noland or Joslyn from where he lies with the woman atop him, too afraid to move her, more afraid to not get her some help.

"Drek! dis nots how I 'magined this to go!"
with a grunt he tries to slide out from under her, lowering her gently to the floor without his usual clumsiness and whispers out into the room
"Jos? Noland? ... needs a hand here ! She's hurt bad!"

Without waiting for a reply His eye's fly around the place, hoping beyond hope that the assailants suffered more than they did and that they will be unassailed at least for a moment, he gathers his wits and his sword and crouches low over Xades recumbent form, waiting for the backup, watching for the enemy
DeliciousD
15:21:30 Tuesday, 09 January 2063 - Bahr Industrial Processing Facility, 3280 Hewitt Ave, Everett

Joslyn sidles towards Remy and Xade, his pistol trained on the far doorway as he glances down at Xade's wounds and frowns, he'd seen worse in his time but not on anyone who got up again.

"Drek, that's not pretty," he looks to Remy then Noland "I'm no medic, anyone got a medkit or trauma patch?"

He holsters his pistol and checks the beds for an intact sheet, grabbing the sturdiest looking one, he quickly lays it out next to Xade.

"It'll have to do for a stretcher, unless we're calling Docwagon we've got to move her quick."

Looking around the devastated room, Joslyn shakes his head in disbelief.

Crazy fraggers, I wasn't prepared for this.

"Noland, I'm counting four beds and four corpses so far, is that all you expected?"
grendel
15:22:07 Tuesday, 09 January 2063 - Bahr Industrial Processing Facility, 3280 Hewitt Ave, Everett

"Easy, heroes," mutters Xade, pushing herself upright. Remy does his best not to gasp as the motion momentarily rubs her hips against his.

"Most of the blood isn't mine." She leans against the wall, running a tired hand through her hair. Joslyn glances from her back to Noland, the bulky samurai kneeling in the doorway, covering down the hall.

"Winternight cells have been known to operate with up to eight members," he replies, his tone sounded even more mechanical through the ringing in Joslyn's ears.

"What a fraggin' mess," mutters Xade. "All right, see if you guys can find anything useful that made it through the blast."
DeliciousD
15:22:10 Tuesday, 09 January 2063 - Bahr Industrial Processing Facility, 3280 Hewitt Ave, Everett

Joslyn lets out a short laugh

"Damn woman, you had me worried...I don't envy your laundrette."

He laughs some more, somewhat manically.

breathe, keep cool

Shaking his head abruptly, Joslyn turns to the task at hand; keeping one eye on the door, he starts wading through the mess looking for anything of interest.

"Did you see that guy? He looked happy to be blowing himself to bits, this Winternight's got some fragged up members."
Vegas
14:00:03 Thursday, 11 January 2063 - 8047 Shade Creek Pl, Tacoma, UCAS

Mac’s short, sharp laugh cut through the silence in the truck like a sharp blade, her tone thick with the tension she felt in her body. She had never been terribly fond of mages and shamans, convinced they always had their own agenda at play, and Suda was only succeeding in proving her right.

“You were expecting bloodshed?”

She fell silent again as her eyes watched the front of the house while they lingered outside in the truck, before she shifted in the passenger’s seat to face Kovacs.

“So I don’t get it. She outright tells you she’s going to screw you over and you willingly accept her help?” Mac shook her head, her hair falling across her face. “I mean, I get that you two have history but…” She chewed on her lip for a moment, trying to make sense of everything and failing.

“You can’t tell me she’s the only show out there for magical support.”
grendel
14:41:19 Thursday, 11 January 2063 - 5420 Mont Clair Blvd, Redmond, Seattle

A smile crept across Kovacs' face as he pointed the Land Rover north towards Locus' place in Redmond.

"Better the devil you know. Yes, there are other magical assets out there that we could look for, but I don't know them, I haven't worked with them, and I trust them even less than I trust Suda. Besides, you haven't seen her in action, yet. She's worth the risk."

Mac was still skeptical. Something about Suda set off all the alarm bells in her mind, and she resolved to keep an extra eye on the shaman. Despite Kovacs' reassurance, or perhaps because of it. She remembered his admonishment from a couple days ago, about fresh eyes on the problem. The rest of the ride to Locus' place passed with more companionable silence, broken only by a few comments from either of them.

Kovacs held the door for her as they walked into the shop, trailing as she approached the counter. The handsome elf weapons dealer had his shirt sleeves pushed up, baring arms decorated equally with scars and incredibly detailed tattoos. He was already in the process of laying out her purchases on the countertop. The weapons gleamed beneath the hard shadowless illumination from the overhead LED spots.

"Check the work," advised Locus. "And the range is open if you want to run them through their paces."
Vegas
14:43:51 Thursday, 11 January 2063 - 5420 Mont Clair Blvd, Redmond, Seattle

Mac's fingers ran over the hard angles and subtle curves of each of the weapons in admiration and the offer to make a go of it in an empty range was far too tempting to ignore. She flashed a mischievous smile in Locus’ direction before casting a glance back over her shoulder towards Kovacs unsure of their schedule for the rest of the day.

“Do we have the time?”
grendel
14:46:02 Thursday, 11 January 2063 - 5420 Mont Clair Blvd, Redmond, Seattle

Kovacs nods. "We have time. Although if we didn't, I would make time. As much as I trust Locus, this kind of work demands a working check."

Locus grinned in agreement and to acknowledge he didn't take offense to the remark. He reached beneath the counter and recovered several cardboard ammo boxes, one of each caliber for the three weapons. This time Kovacs made no move to help, and Mac spared him only a glance as she loaded the various magazines for her weapons.
Vegas
15:22:41 Thursday, 11 January 2063 - 5420 Mont Clair Blvd, Redmond, Seattle

Her fingers didn’t move with the speed or dexterity that either of the men had loading magazines, but it wasn’t entirely foreign to her either. It wasn’t long before she had a clip each for the P93 and the Alpha and two for the Browning.

By the time she was finished, Locus had already slid protection gear across the counter and she slid the offered glasses on. As much as she wanted to reach for the most familiar weapon she forced herself to pick up the Browning which felt slightly lighter and more familiar to her hands this time around. Mac eased the slide back and confirmed a clear weapon before picked up her two magazines and headed towards the soundlock.

Paper targets with anonymous heads took on various faces haunting her from her past as she squeezed off round after round, her accuracy getting slightly better with each shot until she emptied the clip, the last round into a specific face, a shot to the head that left her slightly shaky as her hands dropped to their sides and her breath was shallow and irregular. She squeezed her eyes shut for an moment, forcing her to pull herself together and put that demon to bed for the last time with a series of long slow breaths.

She lifted her head and opened her eyes, making the trip back to the counter to exchange each of her weapons before repeating the process, forcing herself to focus on the anonymous target before shredding the paper to pieces, the sound of the P93’s magazine clattering empty to the floor as she released it. She returned to the counter after each of her clips had been burned through, careful and deliberate to check her weapons for clear before setting them back on the counter in front of Locus. She was a relatively quick study, especially when her life depended on it. Her face was cool, her eyes were slightly distant but she gave Locus a nod of approval before she looked over to Kovacs.

"Are we done here?"

grendel
15:27:44 Tuesday, 09 January 2063 - Bahr Industrial Processing Facility, 3280 Hewitt Ave, Everett

Joslyn isn't squeamish about sifting through the bloody wreckage of the room, quickly scanning the scattered contents of the work bench for anything useful. Noland continues to provide security overwatch as the team works. Xade shakes off any remaining stun from the blast, and pries open the twisted carcass of the wall locker, ignoring the sodden mess of her jacket.

"Yeah, Winternight isn't the kind of organization that attracts people of sound mind. They tend towards the extreme. This isn't unusual for them at all," she comments.

Remy is pretty sure this is about the most disgusting thing he's done, but he's not about to lose face in front of his friends. Taking controlled breaths, he scouts along the wall, trying to skirt as much of the body parts as possible while still poking through the detritus. He comes across the twisted hunk of machinery that looks oddly familiar, although it takes him several seconds to place it. It looks almost identical to the cooling unit that he intentionally broke at his uncle's shop.

"Hey, I found something!"
grendel
15:30:16 Thursday, 11 January 2063 - 5420 Mont Clair Blvd, Redmond, Seattle

"Load three mags for your pistol," replied Kovacs, placing the kydex holster and twin mag shingle on the counter. "From here on out you go armed."

Mac nodded wordlessly, opening up another box of ammo. The taller samurai hefted a pair of the ammo crates and headed out to the truck, returning a minute later for the last two. Locus stowed her assault rifle and submachinegun into a pair of soft cases that bulged with exterior pockets for magazines and cleaning gear. Mac clipped the holster to her belt, sliding it back and forth to find the position of optimal comfort with her hip. The Browning slid into the grip of the plastic, an unfamiliar weight on her right side that was only partially balanced by the pair of magazines on left. She shrugged her shoulders, settling the ride of her jacket over the weapon.

Kovacs handed her the FN P93's case while he slung the Alpha's over his shoulder. With a last nod to the elf behind the counter, they walked back out to the Land Rover. Once more he pointed them north, the glass and concrete spires of downtown growing closer as they crossed over Lake Washington. Kovacs skirted along the northeast side of downtown, heading into the university district, winding his way through innumerable side streets before stopping in front of an unmarked four story brick building.

Mac glanced at the address out of curiosity, but the plain white numbering over the door told her nothing. 4030 West 134th St. She remembered his conversation with Drift, though.

"Tristan?" she asked, shifting in her seat as the butt of her pistol dug uncomfortably into her side.

Kovacs scanned the street once more, his eyes moving restlessly. "Tristan," he confirmed with a nod. She followed him out of the vehicle.

"There a chance of bloodshed with this one as well?"

"Probably, although not ours," was Kovacs' cryptic reply. Mac grimaced but said nothing.

Through the double doors, the building reveals itself to be a gym. The spandex-clad coed behind the counter watches them as they walk past without signing in, but says nothing. Mac is a bit relieved when they turn towards the stairs rather than heading across the vast open bay full of artificially tan bodies, sweating and straining at their machines. They ascend all four flights, passing floors with treadmills, stair climbers, and elipticals. Ranks of stationary bikes stand ready for the next spin class, while crossfit racks and gear dominates the third floor. Emerging onto the fourth floor, they follow a narrow hallway between rooms dedicated to yoga and dance fitness before halting in front of a door guarded by a fit young man in black running pants and muscle tee.

The man looks at Kovacs. Kovacs looks back. After a moment the man nods and steps back. Kovacs holds the door for Mac, and closes it behind them as he steps through.

The room beyond is concealed in shadows, the only feature well lit is a broad circular dais, maybe six meters in diameter. Kneeling in the brilliantly illuminated circle are three men. Each is stripped to the waist, revealing thick, muscular torsos, beaded with sweat in the warmth of the room. Each holds a sheathed sword in his left hand, the weapons laying parallel to them on the mat. Mac realizes that they have their eyes closed. She leans towards Kovacs to ask him what the drek was going on, but he held his hand up to forestall her. They moved along the wall, drawing closer to the ring. She could make out other shadows in the room now, perhaps a dozen other individuals watching silently. As they wait, the air seems to grow thicker, electric with some kind of energy.

On a silent signal, the men explode into combat. The transition is so sudden that Mac is unable to discern the movement. One instant the three are kneeling motionless, the next their bodies are torquing through their initial attacks. The fight is swift and brutal, a full power contest run at sprinting speed. Although it's two against one, the one holds his own with vicious adroitness. Mac winces at the dull thud of flesh on flesh, or the louder crack of polished mahogany against itself.

The first blade comes free with a wet hiss, the dark folded steel of the katana gleaming in the harsh overhead light. The other two follow in short order, but the speed and ferocity of the battle don't slacken. Mac blinks as she watches blood flow, each of the fighters suffering from two or three shallow wounds. She glances at Kovacs, but finds him focused entirely on the battle in front of them.

A sharp cry from the ring draws her attention back, and she's in time to see one of the fighters collapse off the stage, his chest awash with blood from a vicious cut on his shoulder, his arm hanging limp and broken. Figures coalesce from the darkness, drawing the injured fighter away from the dais and beginning first aid.

Mac looks back to the fight, her guts knotted. Steel rings on steel but the fighter that resisted two is more than a match now for a single opponent. The fight is over as suddenly as it begins, and as the two draw apart Mac can see that the first fighter's sword has pierced his opponent's torso, a hand's breadth of steel emerging from his back. Surprisingly, he bows stiffly, a gesture returned by the victor, before the wounded man steps down off the stage. Once more, a figure draws close and Mac watches as slim hands slowly withdraw the weapon before pressing down against the wound. After a few minutes, she sees the wounded fighter tremble, then draw a deep breath, nodding.

Magical healing! she realizes with a start.

"Kovacs," says a voice close by, and Mac tears her gaze away from the ritual healing. The winning fighter stands before them, his sword resting casually over his shoulder.

"Tristan," replies the tall street samurai. Silence stretches between the two men.

"You're going to burn it all down, aren't you? You're going to make this one the last."

Kovacs nodded. "One way or another."

Tristan smiled. "Let's not waste any more time, then."
DeliciousD
15:28:00 Tuesday, 09 January 2063 - Bahr Industrial Processing Facility, 3280 Hewitt Ave, Everett

Joslyn looks over to where Remy is standing.

"Anything interesting? All I got over here is..." he lets some unidentifiable piece of a Winternight member fall out of his hand with an audible plop "...Goo? Couldn't even use this for spare parts." he lets out a short, manic chuckle then clears his throat, shaking his head to refocus.

He walks over to look at what Remy found.

"Looks like part of a cooling unit." Remy announces uncertainly.

"Is it attached to anything? I want to know what they need cold so badly."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012