Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
Ecclesiastes
12:02:33 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Todd's hand twitches, alerting Tony, but a moment later the hand moves towards the boys temple and pulls loose the datacord. He sits up, brushing a few crumbs from his cheek that stuck to him while his face was on the table. "Looks fairly clear. The place have been abandoned for about five years now, swallowed up by the barrens. Some of the bodies were moved, others weren't. No gangs claim the area, I'd guess over supersition about claiming a cemetery or whatever."
grendel
19:55:31 Monday 08 January 2063 - Bluefish, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Reign laughs, her eyes sparkling. Turning away from the spectacle below, she sets her glass on the bartop.

"It depends, how personal were you planning on getting?"
bclements
12:04:39 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"Hmm," Tony says, trying to think of another way of gaining information about the place and not succeeding. "I guess the next step is to go out and take a look at the place. At least that can tell us what's going on out there. If it's clear, we can try to get this 'key' you're looking for. If its not, then at least we know what to bring."

"Oh yeah, you were twitching just a minute ago, while jacked in. Is that normal?"
Ecclesiastes
12:04:45 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Todd shrugs, "It happens. I'm not exactly a run-of-the-mill Decker. Anyhow, where is your ride?"
bclements
12:04:49 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"Car's in a parking deck a couple of blocks up. And now would be a great time to tell me..." Tony stops as the waiter comes over.

"Anything else, gentlemen?"

"Double bourbon, neat, for me. God knows I need one at the moment. And whatever that gentleman," Tony points at Zeyda's position by the bar, "wants to drink, with my complements. You want anything else before the check?" Tony asks to Todd
Ecclesiastes
12:05:19 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Todd shakes his head, declining. He waits for the waiter to leave, then asks, "Now would be a great time to tell you what?"
WinterRat1
09:16:00 Monday 08 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen - Main Dining Hall

She looks at him blankly for a moment, then blurts out, "Yes, we do, there's a ladder in the kitchen to get to the heating and ventilation units on the roof. Why?"
Slipshade
09:16:02 Monday 08 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen - Main Dining Hall

"We need to get outta here and the exits are likely blocked by whoever is out there. Keep your head down and I will follow you." The gas spewing forth from the canisters was quickly filling up the room as he pushed Keira towards the kitchen door. Max was about to follow, when he saw Trancer and his mom huddled under one of the folding tables.

"Melina...Trancer follow Keira...QUICKLY!'

Fear was beginning to overwhelm them, but the young kid managed to pull his mother out of her shocked state and got them stumbling after Keira, with Max following closely behind.
bclements
12:05:21 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"Now would be a great time to tell me what you can do. You can deck, obviously, but what can you do otherwise? Helps me to plan a bit, in case stuff starts going haywire. As for my role in this, I'm your bodyguard, and I'm not bad at it. I'll do what I can to make sure that you don't come to any harm, but I do need to know what you can handle," Tony says, while taking a sip of the bourbon.

"We get that settled, and we can get on our way." Tony finishes, waiting interestedly for Todd's response.
Ecclesiastes
12:05:31 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"Oh.. umm...", Todd blushes a bit, "Not much else really. I'm no good in a fight or anything if thats what you mean. I can try to hide, but even that I'm not too good at. Computers and Electronics is my thing. I deck and bust through security systems like no ones business."
bclements
12:05:31 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

"No sweat, omae. I'm no good in the Matrix. Hell, I can barely check my email. Nobody's good in everything." Tony says, as he finishes the last of his drink. Slotting his credstick for the amount of the meal and getting up to leave, Tony says to Todd "Let's get going. Who knows, we may be paranoid and this may be an easy pickup."
bclements
EDIT: Deleted double post
Ecclesiastes
12:05:41 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Todd grabs his backpack and slings it over his shoulder, then follows after Tony.
WinterRat1
09:16:29 Monday 08 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen - Main Dining Hall

Although coughing and wheezing the whole way, the small group managed to get to the kitchen and the ladder quickly, thanks to the crowd that was rushing for the exits, preventing the enemy, whoever they were, from entering quickly. Once inside, Trancer stuck a broom through the handles of the double doors leading to the kitchen.

"That should buy us a few seconds," he wheezed through gasping for air. Good kid, having presence of mind like that. As the others looked to him for instructions in their temporary interlude, Keira looked to him and asked, "Who should go up first?"
The_Eyes
19:56:00 Monday 08 January 2063 - Bluefish, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Eyes opened his mouth, a flippant response on the tip of his tongue, before he paused a moment and actually considered the question. Now that he thought about it, things had already gotten more "personal" than he had intended. He had basically ditched Ran not five minutes ago without much more than a second thought, and was casually flirting with an attractive woman, a woman who had gone so far as to buy him a drink, even realising he had absolutely no time for anything like a relationship at the moment. How personal was he planning on getting?

"I, honestly don't know," Eyes said lightly, trying to keep the thoughts from his head from deeply affecting his face, "I was all set on being bored tonight before you came by, but it looks like I've already broken that promise. Looks like you're a bad influence on me," he added with a grin. Meanwhile the part of his mind that wasn't concerned with enjoying the view was stuck trying to figure out what exactly he planned on doing here.
Slipshade
09:16:32 Monday 08 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen - Main Dining Hall

Max looks at the small scared group huddling before him. Their auras flicker with emotions. Like it or not he is responsible for their safety. Hoping that whoever is outside does not have a mage with them to scout astral space he makes a decision.

Tancer, you go first, then your mom and Keira. I will follow behind you incase someone makes it through the door before you are safe.” He looks to the young boy. “Keep your eyes sharp and your wits about you and be careful. I am going to take a quick look at the roof, to make sure it is clear.”

Max settles himself in a corner near the latter. He pulls a serving cart in front of him so that anyone entering the kitchen through the door would have a hard time spotting him right away. Calming his mind he lets his conciousness slip from his body and shoot up towards the roof on stone-like wings.
grendel
20:00:42 Monday 08 January 2063 - Bluefish, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

"Oh? An honest villain, then." Reign smiles softly, sipping from her drink. Most of the other patrons have drifted away from the bar, standing at the edge of the railing instead to watch the band playing below.

"Tell me this, then, Eyes: why did you come here tonight if you were planning on being bored?"
bclements
12:10:14 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Citywide Parking, 3 blocks north of Miner's Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Tony and Todd reach the parking deck a few blocks up from the Landing, both shivering from the biting wind from the north. After taking a bag from the trunk, both of them get in the car and start on the way out to the Barrens.

12:59:31 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - En Route to Sacred Heart Cemetery, Seattle, UCAS

Tony is always surprised by how gradually the cityscape of Downtown gives way to the desolation of the Barrens. Sure, there are a few distinct points that are hard to miss, but its generally a pretty gradual change, at least to me Tony thinks to himself as they reach the Barrens. Todd has been quiet for the most part of the trip, and the only sounds in the are are the hum of the engine and the light talking of the radio tuned to an all news station.

The buildings get lower and lower, then taller when you reach Bellevue proper, then they and the houses just start losing windows the farther away from the main parts of Bellevue, a few at a time maybe, until you just look up and BAM, there’s only a shell of a building left there, and you wonder why its like that, except that every one that you can see now is in the same condition. There’s a metaphor for life in there somewhere, but I’m not too sure I want to think about it right now. Tony thinks to himself as they round a corner close to the cemetery.
grendel
13:04:13 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Sacred Heart Cemetery, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

Sacred Heart Cemetery appears as a pale and ruined shadow of its former self, the high stone walls surrounding the lawns chipped and stained. The trees, lonely sentinels once groomed as carefully as an honor guard, stand tattered and dying. The lawns themselves show the ravages of acid rain and absent groundskeepers, large patches of dead grass amidst the granite headstones. The wrought iron gates lie open, bent askew on their rusted hinges. Overhead, the legend In Pace Requiescat is still legible through a tangle of briars. A single solitary figure sits by the gate, its features obscured by an oversize, patchwork coat.
The_Eyes
20:00:42 Monday 08 January 2063 - Bluefish, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

"Oh I like being bored," Eyes chuckled. He considered a moment. "Well, not being bored exactly, but being able to sit back with nothing to do but watch the crowds. It's almost... peaceful," he said with an ironic twist to his smile, gazing down at the shattering noise and swarm of dancing people below.

Eyes took a quick sip from his drink, savoring the strange mix of beer and cider. "But yeah, I guess I'm a bit of a people-watcher at heart. Everyone's got a story to tell, stories that get them to where they are today, and every one unique. Take you, for instance. You seem very self-assured and confident for someone who looks to have come here alone. I take it you come here, or places like here, often?"
bclements
13:06:22 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Sacred Heart Cemetery, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"Ok, Todd" Tony said as he stopped the Americar about a half block from the front gate after scanning the area for a minute, "since the gate's open, my plan's to drive right up to the spot, or as near a possible. The hombre out front may do something, but don't do anything unless he does, and play along with anything I go with, kay?"
Ecclesiastes
13:06:22 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Sacred Heart Cemetery, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"You got it man."

It isn't hard to tell that Todd is starting to get a little nervous, but is doing his best to tough it out.
bclements
13:05:01 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Sacred Heart Cemetery, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"Ok, here we go. If someone starts shooting, duck down quick. When you get a chance, point this in the general direction of fire." Tony says, reaching back into his bag and pulling out his Browning and an MP5. Checking the action on both to see if a round was in the chamber, he slides the safety on the Browning to "OFF" and slips the gun under the fold of his jacket on his right thigh, within easy reach of his left hand.

Handing the MP5 to Todd, Tony says "Here ya go. Put this in the floorboard under your feet." Showing Todd the gun, Tony adds "You flip the safety switch to off like this" Tony mimics the action, "and pull the trigger. Don't worry about aiming or hitting anything, you'll probably scare anybody enough to give us some time to get the hell out of here should anything happen. And don't worry about me, I've got more toys back there to play with."

Satisfied with his Introduction to Firearms lesson, Tony looks back into the bag for a second to make sure that the items were in easy reach. Satisfied, he begins to pull towards the gate of the cemetery. "It's not exactly subtle, but not much out here is" Tony says as they start toward the gate.
Ecclesiastes
13:06:31 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Sacred Heart Cemetery, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

Todd silently takes the gun and places it at his feet. Oh man... what the drek am I getting myself into? He stares at the gun as Tony moves the car out of the parking spot. Who am I kidding? I hate guns!
grendel
13:07:19 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Sacred Heart Cemetery, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

As the Americar pulls foward into the driveway of the cemetery, the huddled figure holds out its right hand, fingers spread in an unmistakeable sign to stop.
bclements
13:07:30 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Sacred Heart Cemetery, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

Stopping the car, putting it in Park, and hiding the Browning in his coat pocket, Tony steps out of the car, remaining behind the door. "We'd like to go in. What's the problem?" he says, in a friendly manner.
grendel
13:07:52 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Sacred Heart Cemetery, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

The figure pushes back its hood, revealing a seamed and weatherbeaten face, androgynous in its old age. Its voice is cracked and tired, but carries in the thin, chill air.

"I keep the watch here at the gateway between worlds. There is a toll to be paid for passage. Give me something you value."
grendel
20:02:09 Monday 08 January 2063 - Bluefish, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Reign laughs.

"Being alone has little to do with being confident. The reverse, however, is not always true. And as for myself, well, my story is just a sad little tale. Hardly worth the effort. Besides, you should beware women who tell stories. They're out to seduce you."

She finishes the last of her drink, setting the glass back on the bar.

"But if you find yourself in need of a good story, you know where to find me."

Leaning in close, she kisses Eyes on the cheek, sliding a slip of paper into his hand. With a smile and a swirl of hair, she's gone.
The_Eyes
20:03:12 Monday 08 January 2063 - Bluefish, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Eyes blinked in surprise at Reign's abrupt departure. He hadn't figured it was that easy to tell he was distracted, but apparently it was rather obvious. More confused than ever, he took a look at the scrap of paper in his hand. Everett, huh? he thought, and she drove all the way down here to buy a random stranger a drink and leave him a note? Strange woman. Eyes slipped the address into his pocket, thinking with a chuckle, Bet she's got a heck of a story to tell. He blinked again, surprised by that thought, and wondered where it came from.

Picking up his half-finished drink, Eyes wandered over to the railing, trying to find a slightly more isolated section so he could see better. As he watched the crowd below, he couldn't help but feel that some of the energy had gone out of the room, that something was missing. Eyes shook his head. Could a woman he had just met, a stranger, be affecting him that much? Is this really love at first sight, or am I just fooling myself? Eyes pondered, as he finished the rest of his drink and made to head back to the ground floor.
WinterRat1
09:16:35 Monday 08 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen - Roof - Astral Plane

As his consciousness soars through the roof, Max quickly glances around the colors and swirl of emotions present. He senses anger, confusion, pain, malicious intent, and more more that he'd expect. Luckily though, it appears that the roof of the place is clear of any presences, mundane or astral. At least, for the moment.

Then Trancer's head pokes up through the from the covered ladder, and he begins to climb up onto the roof.
bclements
13:08:00 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Sacred Heart Cemetery, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

Tony shakes his head. "This is no gateway between worlds, old one," Tony said. "However, if you requre payment, I will requre protection in addition to passage."
The_Eyes
00:45:25 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Unit 303, Winlock Apartment Complex, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Eyes yawned as he opened the door to his apartment. His evening had been busy yet fairly uneventful after that conversation with Reign. He had finished his drink and gone back downstairs, and generally just stood there like a wall-flower for awhile before getting dragged onto the dance floor for a nerve-wracking hour with Ran and the rest of her group. Only she had paid much attention to him most of the time there; the rest of the tribe only seemed amused that he looked like a deer caught in headlights most of the time he was on the dance floor. After the concert Ran wrangled him into buying her a soy milkshake at a diner that happenned to be open late, then dropped her off at home after midnight, with her pretending to be drunk and both of them laughing at dumb jokes that always seem less stupid at midnight.

As he closed the door, the screen of his telcom flared to life. "You're back late Eyes," Jane purred, "I was about to go to bed for the night."

Eyes yawned again. "You don't sleep, Jane," he muttered sleepily. "Did you finish those searches I asked for?"

Jane nodded. "Results are waiting for you. And after what happenned to me this evening, I almost feel like I could use some sleep." She related to Eyes a short account of running into Revenant and nearly running into a Matrix brawl.

Eyes blinked in surprise, some of the tiredness forgotten. "Oh? Are you okay? I'll run some diagnostics. You weren't followed were you?"

Jane chuckled. "Always so eager to stick your little probes in me, aren't you? I wonder if I should be offended. No I wasn't followed, but I do have this 'cigarette' here that may or may not have something in it that's useful."

Eyes nodded. "All right, I'll take a quick look. I shouldn't be going to bed so soon after eating anyway." Booting up his deck, he hooked up a few wires and slipped into the Matrix. Feeling the surging, dangerously stimulating rush of hot ASIST flush the fatigue from his mind (albeit temporarily), James takes a quick dive into his home computer and begins delving into the files.

After a few minutes of reading, Eyes determines that nothing in the files--including the one slipped to Jane by Revenant--is particularly time-sensetive. Reason for adrenaline gone, Eyes yawns once more, a telling sign of fatigue given the hyper-real overstimulation of hot ASIST. He then jacks out, unplugs the deck to keep it offline, and stumbles off to bed, checking the locks one more time before turning in.
Ecclesiastes
13:08:05 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Sacred Heart Cemetery, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

Todd watches from the passenger seat. When hearing about a possible toll, he mentally runs through the list of gear he has with him. Man... I need everything I have with me. What the heck is this about anyways? Gateway between worlds? Matrix and Meat maybe?
grendel
13:10:14 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Sacred Heart Cemetery, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

Cackling laughter from the figure dissolves into a hacking cough that shakes its shoulders for a minute before subsiding. Again, the raspy voice calls out from its perch.

"Just because you cannot see it does not make it any less of a doorway. I cannot offer you protection inside, I am forbidden from leaving my post here. But the toll you pay to pass will keep you safe from the casual predators. Just something of value for the Riverman."
Ecclesiastes
13:08:15 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Sacred Heart Cemetery, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

Something of value to me? Besides my gear all I have is.. Todd reaches down to the floor and pulls his skateboard up and extends it to Tony.

"Give him this," his voice sounds like parting with the item is excruiating, but he is determanded to find The Key.
Slipshade
09:16:38 Monday 08 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen – Kitchen.

The roof was clear, though the emotions slammed into Max with the force of a sledgehammer, stunning him momentarily. They were safe for now. In the blink of an eye Max’s soul snapped back into his body and the crumpled form in the corner of the kitchen stirred back to life.

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

Someone was trying to break down the kitchen doors as Max’s eyes fluttered back open.

‘Move!’ He willed his body to stand even though he was still disoriented. Max clutched the serving cart to stabilize himself.

BOOM!

'Drek!'

Max bolted for the ladder, trying to make it to the roof before the assailants came crashing into the kitchen.
WinterRat1
09:16:41 Monday 08 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen – Kitchen.

In a perfect world, Max would’ve made it up to the roof just as the first goon burst through the door and unleashed a storm of bullets at where he was just scant milliseconds ago.

The positive way to look at things actually turned out was that it was an almost perfect world. The negative way to look at the situation was that what ‘almost perfect’ translated into was the first goon bursting into the room and unleashing a storm of bullets at where he currently was. Moreover, his current location happened to be still climbing the ladder in the kitchen and not on the roof just yet.

Oh drek! was the only thing Max had time to think as he heard the doors burst open and the rapid staccato of the first flight of bullets being fired at him…
Slipshade
09:16:44 Monday 08 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen – Kitchen.

Max was thrown bodily against the rungs of the ladder, as the bullets slammed into his body. The pain was excruciating, but he had to climb. The roof was his only escape. Before he could reach for the next rung something slammed into the back of his head, sending it crashing into the metal frame of the ladder. The world begain to spin and grow dark.

MAX!!!!!!

He heard a voice cry from the growing darkness...
bclements
13:08:15 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Sacred Heart Cemetery, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

Tony looks surprised at Todd's gesture. Taking the skateboard and rolling it on the cracked pavement toward the old figure in front of him, Tony says "Take that quickly padre and don't bother us again, before I decide it's worth more than your life"
grendel
13:08:53 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Sacred Heart Cemetery, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"Pass through, my son, and may the Gods favor your quest. Remember, though, not all value is measured in material goods." The old figure lifts the skateboard into its hands, turning it over once before tucking it beneath its robe. Rising, it bows to Tony and Todd before shuffling off down the street. A hammer of wind and snow blasts the vehicle.
The_Eyes
09:01:23 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Unit 303, Winlock Apartment Complex, Tacoma, Seattle, UCAS

Reign sat across the table, sipping her soy milkshake. "So, you do want to hear my story?" she asked airily, a coy smile on her face. "Well then, once upon a time a beautiful woman chanced upon a very confused and indecisive man. She tried to steal his heart, but wound up with only a piece. She took that piece, though, not knowing how the others that shared that heart would mind."

Ran leaned toward him from her seat next to him at the bar. Her smile was far more predatory, but just as suggestive. "The man worried about one most of all. She seemed to like having him all to herself most times, a girl who shared her whole life, and never had anything in this world truly to herself before. But if share she must, share she would."

Another pair of arms coiled over his shoulders, and snaked down his chest. Words to match the smooth flow of the arms hissed softly in his ear. "And share she must," Jane's voice whispered, "because another had already claimed what she tried to take, one who had known him longer than either of them had had bodies, before either had been more than thoughts bubbling to the surface of human thought. But that one is wise, and knows the value of sharing."

Eyes cast about in confusion. "Wh... what's going on here? Why..."

Reign put a finger on his lips. "Shh," she purred, "You're thinking too much again. Just... let... go...." She removed the finger from his lips, and replaced it with her own. Her kiss was soft and inviting, and tasted like... carpet?

Eyes blinked. Sometime during the night he must have rolled out of bed; now he was lying face-down on the floor. Muttering to himself, trying to distance his mind from the vivid dream still floating just under the surface of consciousness, he pushed himself off the floor, glanced at the clock, went through all the normal morning rituals. Coffee, make bed, get dressed, breakfast he checked off in his head, then you should get started on the job.

He looked down. But first a shower. A nice, long, cold, cold shower.

09:33:17 Tuesday 09 January 2063

Eyes, still trying to shake the stupid, nonsensical dream out of his head, finishes plugging in his deck and slips once more into the better-than-real world of the Matrix. As he flexed his digital arms, Eyes could feel the code flowing, rushing through him, making his very nerves tingle with life and awareness. He took a breath of virtual air, letting the cleansing feeling of dozens of subprocesses all demanding his input and attention. The constant deluge of information was calming in a way that nothing else could be; the multiple draws for his complete attention overrode his instinct to immediately rush down a single avenue at the exclusion of all else, a problem which plagued him in meatspace.

"Are you all ready yet? Can we get going now?"

It was Jane. Somehow Eyes wasn't as nervous as he thought he would be. "Yup, let's get going." And together they plunged into the virtual reality of the Seattle.
Ecclesiastes
13:09:11 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Sacred Heart Cemetery, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"Ok. That was creepy."
WinterRat1
??question.gif?question.gif? ? ?? January 2063 – ? - ? - ? – A Cold Floor Somewhere

Slowly, consciousness returned to the shaman. He was somewhere…he was alive . That’s gotta count for something in the grand scheme of things Max thought ruefully to himself. He shook his head to clear it and the sudden rush of nausea that came sweeping over him convinced him that maybe that was a bad idea. He settled for glancing around at his surroundings instead, trying to figure out which cold floor he was lying on in the world.

Gradually, to his surprise, he came to realize that not only was he alive and relatively unharmed, (if you could discount the absolutely pounding headache that was reaming his skull) but he was right where he left off. Namely, the floor of the Redmond Soup Kitchen, lying at the base of the ladder he must’ve fallen off of when he got shot. A bump at the back of his head was a testament to his head being introduced to the floor, and as he rolled over slightly to look at his watch, he saw that barely an hour had gone by. What the hell? Who were those guys? And if they weren’t after me, then what were they doing here…? He didn’t know just yet, but Max had a sudden, sinking feeling that he wasn’t going to like the answer.
bclements
13:09:17 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Sacred Heart Cemetery, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

"Yep, that about tops the list of strange that I've seen" Tony says, shaking his head slightly to clear his mind. Stepping into the car and turning up the heat, Tony puts the car into gear and pulls into the cemetary. "Lets get this done before too much else strange happens."
Slipshade
10:20:03 Monday 08 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen – Roof

Max picks his crumpled form off the floor and slowly...very slowly climbs the ladder to the roof. He has to see if Keira, Trancer and Melina were ok. Maybe they were still on the roof hiding…too afraid to come back down. Max knew it was unlikely, but he had to know for sure. The climb seems to last an eternity, but he finally lifts the latch to the roof and pulls himself up. His eyes scanned both the mundane world and the astral for any sign of his friends.
grendel
13:11:27 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Sacred Heart Cemetery, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

Inside, the cemetery has clearly seen better days. The vast lawns are unkempt and uncut, with many of the granite headstones completely overgrown by weeds and briars. Others are toppled over, victims of weather, geologic forces, or simple vandalism. Dark figures shy away into the shadows as the Americar navigates its way down the narrow broken pavement, finally halting before the location specified on Todd's map.

Centered in the raised circle is a crypt of white marble, a meter square on the ends and stretching three meters long. A statue of a woman in a flowing dress kneels at the middle of the crypt, one hand pressed against the side, the other held against her face as she weeps. Over her, stone faces carved with majestic sorrow, are two angels. One stands at the far end of the crypt, a longsword held point down in its hands. The other stands next to the woman, wings slowly spreading, as if to comfort her. A small, faded UCAS flag mounted on a plastic stick flutters in the icy wind. Todd can just make out an inscription carved on the nearest end of the crypt.

Of fallen soldiers let us sing,
Where no rockets fly, nor bullets wing,
Our broken brothers let us bring,
To the Mansions of the Lord.

No more bleeding, no more fight,
No prayers pleading through the night,
Just divine embrace, eternal light,
In the Mansions of the Lord.

Where no mothers cry and no children weep,
We will stand and guard though the angels sleep,
While through the ages safely keep,
The Mansions of the Lord.
Ecclesiastes
13:11:27 Tuesday 09 January 2063 - Sacred Heart Cemetery, Redmond, Seattle, UCAS

Todd's mouth moves slightly as he reads the poem over a few times. Being a code breaker at heart, he runs the poem through his Math SPU and cross checks it with the same algorithm that got him here, wondering if there is a code inside the poem.
bclements

Fallen warriors, let us sing indeed. They didn't necessarly fight for what I believe in, but they did fall for what they believed in, and that's all that really matters. Tony thought to himself as he kept watch around the young decker, his carbine slung over his sholders and sword in his belt. God knows what was moving around when we came in, but I don't want it to get too close
Ecclesiastes

Todd shrugs, "I can't make anything out of the poem. The map zeros in on the crypt. I have a feeling we're gunna have to check it out..."
WinterRat1
10:21:03 Monday 08 January 2063 – Redmond - Touristville - The Respite Soup Kitchen – Roof

Arriving at the roof, to his relief he saw Trancer and his mother lying unconscious. Apparently the thugs had shot them with the same sort of stun bullets they'd taken him out with. But why go through all this and leave everyone alive? he wondered. Then he glanced around and his heart sank. Keira was nowhere to be found, and the implications of that were disturbing indeed...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012