Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Phoenix Rising
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
Tarantula
I'm good for the next scene also.
Fuchs
I'll be back posting in 6 hours or so, when I wake up. If we're already done at the next scene by then, assume DD changed into this outfit for Dante's inferno, and generally followed Jake's lead.
DWC
I'm fine with jumping to the next scene. Truth's only real concern is making sure all the lower response commlinks are slaving to something decent, so they can be properly encrypted. Other than stashing his pistol in the glove box and retrieving the rotodrone (which just boils down to parking in an alley where he can take spend a minute putting it back into the rack), he's ready to go whenever everyone else is.

And yeah, Jake's pirated software hookup is most likely also superior to Truth's.
Shalimar
What would you consider a low response comm unit?
DWC
QUOTE (Shalimar @ Sep 16 2008, 09:14 PM) *
What would you consider a low response comm unit?

My gut reaction says 3, since that caps your system, encrypt, and firewall down at 3.
Tarantula
Reduces your system, and system reduces encrypt yes, but firewall can still be a 6.
DWC
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Sep 16 2008, 09:33 PM) *
Reduces your system, and system reduces encrypt yes, but firewall can still be a 6.

Hey, how about that. Encouraging.
Zaranthan
Dancing Eyes really has no idea how all this high-tech stuff works beyond the human interface, but he's more than willing to cooperate. If one of the techy types wants to make a closed emote linking him into the network, go right ahead. The link is straight 3's, off the shelf.
Coldhand Jake
* X cheapass image-link/sound-link glasses/earbuds combos. Simple cameras and mics too.
* X pairs of AR gloves.
* X cheap sets of trodes.<Fuck paste, I'll get you a nice LA ballcap.>
* X extra throwaway comms with COLD sim modules for people who need them.

Total Cost each: 1360 nuyen.gif
Glasses 50
* Flare Comp 50
* Image Link +25
* Earbuds 10
* Camera 100
* Microphone 50
* Radio Signal Scanner (1) 25
AR gloves 250
Meta Link w/Vector Xim OS and sim module: 400
All Common Use programs at 1: 350
Trodes: 50

If you don't have these basic running tools...get them. If you can't afford them, Jake'll cover you till the end of the mish, you can pay him back out of your take.

The availability for the entire kit is 4 or less, and only the Radio Scanners are 4R. Cake to get, cheap to replace, vital for survival. When anyone asks, Jake's advice is to be ready to put a bullet in any commlink you use on a job. If you can eat a new commlink every run, or even every meet, by all means get better, but the word here really is "disposable."
Shalimar
So you'd suggest getting rid of all of that stuff every run? Or just getting rid of the commlink but keeping the accessories?

This is what Charlie needs off that list: Cost = 875
Camera 100
Radio Signal Scanner (1) 25
Meta Link w/Vector Xim OS and sim module: 400
All Common Use programs at 1: 350
Zaranthan
I'll just copy Charlie's shopping list there.

Stop me if I'm wrong, but don't earbuds and a microphone come free with even a cheapo link? I always figured those prices were for getting nonstandard gear with audio enhancements.

Next assumption: if you're using simsense for your AR (say, via a trode net), do you need the glove? I thought DNI was two-way.
Shalimar
Brent, Ochir should be able to pick up the entire kit in a day since the availibility ratings are 4 or less and the cost is low enough that he can make two tests in a day for the radio scanner(the only thing not a common good). Can we just assume he gets it to the team within 24 hours?
crizh
QUOTE (Zaranthan @ Sep 17 2008, 04:50 AM) *
Next assumption: if you're using simsense for your AR (say, via a trode net), do you need the glove? I thought DNI was two-way.

No, a trode-net is one-way, for two-way you need a simrig.

Or a datajack.
crizh
QUOTE (Shalimar @ Sep 17 2008, 08:05 AM) *
Can we just assume he gets it to the team within 24 hours?

I got the impression that the run was to go down tonight, immediately after we meet with the Johnson.

That's why I'm looking for availability -- items which can be bought off the shelf in a store.

Interestingly all comm-links can be bought of the shelf as can basic AR stuff, trodes, gloves etc.

Sensors are more of a pain in the ass. Hence the Transys Steed suggestion....
Fuchs
DD got cybereyes with thermo, low light, smartlink, etc., ear buds, a radio scanner and a simrig, so she should be good for the tac net without adding more senseware.
crizh
Gecko is going to give DD or Jake a wishlist of software and head out to a decent electronics store to pick up some gear before heading to the meet.

If anybody else wants stuff with availability -- he will pick it up for them.

Which reminds me..

Starting cash: 26,000 nuyen.gif.

I'll post a list in here in OOC of what he picks up while we're doing this meet.

[edit]

Ahah!

Non-mobile Emotitoys. Regardless of how we handle the software they run, they have a Sensor Rating of 3 and an availability of --.

I'll pick up a bunch of low rating ones and we can slave them to our comm-links giving everyone 8 sensor channels no problem at all.
Coldhand Jake
Yes, I mean the commlinks. They develop datatrails. And if you can't afford to get your fake SIN professionally erased, put a bullet in your cheap-ass commlink and get another cheap-ass commlink.

Glasses 50
* Flare Comp 50
* Image Link +25
* Earbuds 10
* Camera 100
* Microphone 50
* Radio Signal Scanner (1) 25

This is a one-piece pair of essential Runner's Wraparound Shades. 310 nuyen.gif For all you folks who haven't gotten with it and still stare at your commlink's screen...these are better.

And finally, I don't -need- to go buy them, I have a bag of them out in my motorcycle's saddlebag. Called it on page 1 of this thread. wink.gif
Fuchs
QUOTE (crizh @ Sep 17 2008, 10:41 AM) *
Non-mobile Emotitoys. Regardless of how we handle the software they run, they have a Sensor Rating of 3 and an availability of --.

I'll pick up a bunch of low rating ones and we can slave them to our comm-links giving everyone 8 sensor channels no problem at all.

I'd really prefer it if emotitoys were dropped. They do seem utterly broken in so many areas.
crizh
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Sep 17 2008, 10:32 AM) *
I'd really prefer it if emotitoys were dropped. They do seem utterly broken in so many areas.

I agree, the dice pool bonus to social skills is broken. Were we not going to house-rule that out already? I don't recall the result of that discussion.

Even a nerfed version however has a number of simple sensors that several people in the group don't have and that cannot be quickly acquired quickly. Seems like a reasonable short term botch-up jury-rig to get them all up to speed.

Not ideal but it will get the job done...
Fuchs
I think you misunderstood. I also consider the fact that they apparently offer the easiest way to aquire good sensors broken. If we do need such sensors, I'd rather have us buy such sensors. It stands to reason that if emotityos can be sold and aquired so quickly, then the "naked" sensors built into the toys can be aquired as quickly and cheaply.
bmcoomes
QUOTE (Shalimar @ Sep 17 2008, 02:05 AM) *
Brent, Ochir should be able to pick up the entire kit in a day since the availibility ratings are 4 or less and the cost is low enough that he can make two tests in a day for the radio scanner(the only thing not a common good). Can we just assume he gets it to the team within 24 hours?

Yeah he can easily get that in a day.
Shalimar
QUOTE (bmcoomes @ Sep 17 2008, 09:30 AM) *
Yeah he can easily get that in a day.

Guess he doesn't need to since Jake apparently has some. Either way its no problem we can now just assume everyone has gotten what they need in 24 hours and move on.

I'll just buy what I need off Jake and pick up the burner commlink in a store on the way with the software, etc.
Tarantula
I still don't see why you need the gloves. You use the trodes to send commands to the commlink, and you can see what its doing on the image link...... Why do you need a pair of gloves?

As far as the shopping list goes, Ralphs got everything but the rating 1 programs and the burner commlink. And I forgot to roll his starting cash, so I'll do that right now.

Ralph's Starting Cash (2d6=cool.gif
8*20=160¥.

So, he'll need for Jake to cover a 300¥ burner commlink for him. Screw the programs, its not like he really knows how to use the thing anyway.
Shalimar
Thats why I didn't buy a pair...that and I am using a sim rig.
Fuchs
You need the gloves so people mistake you for someone without a clue nyahnyah.gif.
Oenone
QUOTE (Coldhand Jake @ Sep 17 2008, 10:28 AM) *
Yes, I mean the commlinks. They develop datatrails.

Actually the commlinks don't, it's the SIN you're running on the commlink which does (unless you're using a disposable commlink from Unwired). That's what has your matrix commcode and all kinds of details hooked up to it. The software on it might, depending on if it's legal or not.

But generally you shouldn't need to ditch the physical device unless you're being trailed by someone or want to give it to a random homeless guy to distract/divert attention.

As for the runner gear, Etoile has all the programs she believes she needs. Plus image link, subvocal microphone and AR gloves.

If anyone suggests a trode net she'll just blink and shake her head as her commlink is really only there to route her smartlink through. And even that'll be swapped to implants when she has the cash (along with the nice 0 essence safety chips from Augmentation)

Edit

@Brent - Out of interest what gear have they let people in with? Will Etoile have had to leave her tools and weapons behind? And there isn't all that much she could do about the hand razors, she will have the carbon fibre versions but they could still show on a Cyberware scanner....
Coldhand Jake
@The group, mostly Truth

First, wetwork should pay more. Secondly, I'm trying to negotiate more info and money for this job. The Johnson's given us enough info to fuck him if we're 'moral folk'. It's in his interest to offer what we want to get the job rolling.

Thirdly, this team -is- way too big for a hit. If he can get the job broken into two...the data theft on one side, the hit on another, for the same pay...that'd be good. Plus, if someone did both, 20k is alot more enticing...
crizh
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Sep 17 2008, 04:45 PM) *
I still don't see why you need the gloves. You use the trodes to send commands to the commlink, and you can see what its doing on the image link...... Why do you need a pair of gloves?

I seem to recall seeing a knock-down drag-out flame war on here somewhere.

(You know the sort of thing, very juvenile. grinbig.gif )

The upshot was that the majority were of the opinion that trodes were one way. They can send signals to your brain but not receive them or they at least lack the hardware to decode them.

A trode-net that can do that is called a simrig.

You get a nice AR/VR overlay from trodes but you need gloves or a physical DNI link to interact with it.
Oenone
From the BBB the description of the simrig is 'An advanced version of the trode net' which strongly implies it is able to carry out any functions a trode net could. From the text it seems the only bonus feature is a record mode.

So thus if a simrig can control a device then so can a trode net. You just can't record whatever you're experiencing for playback later.

But really I guess it's down to the GM, as the book gives very little detail about them.
Coldhand Jake
Frankly, as to the trode question, I'm going off what has been true since I started in 2nd edition. Trodes get you into VR. Which would mean that they are a full DNI interface. They were how you pulled a mage on a Matrix run with you back then, same now. Simrigs, on the other hand, were improved sim modules, for recording chips and sending sensory data...from snuff film BTLs to skillsofts to a way to feel your lover's side of time in bed.
Tarantula
QUOTE (crizh @ Sep 17 2008, 11:10 AM) *
I seem to recall seeing a knock-down drag-out flame war on here somewhere.

(You know the sort of thing, very juvenile. grinbig.gif )

The upshot was that the majority were of the opinion that trodes were one way. They can send signals to your brain but not receive them or they at least lack the hardware to decode them.

A trode-net that can do that is called a simrig.

You get a nice AR/VR overlay from trodes but you need gloves or a physical DNI link to interact with it.

I think you're backwards. Trodes provide a DNI interface. Your brain to the commlink. A sim module allows them to take signals from the commlink and send it to your brain.

Trodes give you great interaction, but you need a sim module with them to get a nice AR/VR overlay.
Shalimar
We should probably just wait for the Johnson's response to Charlie, Jake, and Etoile before going further. We've asked:

1)Does he expect both to happen simultaneously
2)Expressed our opinion that this is way too little for wet work (and possibly the data steal)
3)Detail's on the target's abilities
4)Expected Security
5)Time Frame

Once we get his reply and are better informed we will be in a better situation to negotiate

crizh
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Sep 17 2008, 06:44 PM) *
I think you're backwards. Trodes provide a DNI interface. Your brain to the commlink. A sim module allows them to take signals from the commlink and send it to your brain.

Precisely the confusion that caused an enormous flame-thread.

Sim-module does not equal Simrig.

A Sim-module can feed an ASIST signal into a brain. A Simrig is use to create an ASIST recording from a brain.
Tarantula
Rather than hashing it out in our OOC thread, mine throwing me a link so I can take a look at that thread? I must've completely missed it.
Shalimar
40,000 each, 440,000 all up he must really want it done.
bmcoomes
I'm having trouble finding my photo of the prototype so I'll get one up when I find it. Yeah he has a fat pockets to get this done and fast. so for each success it was 10,000. and really it's not to much being you waking someone, and stealing for the GOV.

Brent
Oenone
Say, I don't suppose we're using the rules from Arsenal about high strengths giving recoil compensation are we?

If we are then I have completely pointless recoil compensation upgrades on Etoiles pistols. (Hmmm now there's a thought, could the custom grips be swapped for a completely different gun? Or would they perhaps be balanced/designed with the specific weapon in mind?)
bmcoomes
As an inside note he not trying to stop the project but slow it down so "they" can get one up and running to give some competition.

Brent
bmcoomes
QUOTE (Oenone @ Sep 17 2008, 02:42 PM) *
Say, I don't suppose we're using the rules from Arsenal about high strengths giving recoil compensation are we?

If we are then I have completely pointless recoil compensation upgrades on Etoiles pistols. (Hmmm now there's a thought, could the custom grips be swapped for a completely different gun? Or would they perhaps be balanced/designed with the specific weapon in mind?)

Yes I'm using that rule. And no unless it is the same type of gun just about every gun has a differance frame and grip design. Plus I wouldn't think it's point less it'll still be nice to have it went the unlucky things happen.

Brent
Little Johnson
Would one of the hackers be opposed to cracking this womans com to see if she happens to have dinner plans tonight or an apointment with someone else with in the next 24 hrs?

did we get enough info on her to start that?

If that doesnt pan out can we social engineer her out into the open with a fake "you have won an all expense paid trip to X all you have to do is come get it " type of thing? or something less flashy like a msg from her vet if she has a pet that says "our records show that fluffy was accedently given a vaccine that was not yet approved by mistake can you bting her in rite away for a test to see if her intrernal organs are about to fail"
Coldhand Jake
Once I have a lead on her commcode or AccessID, hell yes, I'll be going over her comm with a fine-toothed comb.
Fuchs
Well, DD started a search a few posts ago, any results?
bmcoomes
oops, sorry I'll get you that Fuchs.

Brent
Oenone
I don't remember seeing any posts where Johnson gave us any specific data yet. So we probably don't have anything on her personally aside from she lives on campus.
Fuchs
Hehe, love the reaction of Dancing Eyes.
bmcoomes
That contact information was Dr. Lisa Cummings address is NE 43rd st and Roosevelt way NE apartment 405. Her commcode was given too.

Brent
crizh
Off to bed now.

Can we agree to take the job?

That way we can get on with finding out how he is setting us up and triple-cross the slitch.
Shalimar
I would actually suggest we hire a smuggler with a speed boat to get us to the Island and back. With Dancing Eyes and Charlie to provide spiritual aid we can juice a boat up with Conceal and Move garaunteeing we can out run anything and that it wont be seen. If we offered 4,000 for a smuggler I think we could definitely get one for a night.
DWC
If we're going the concealment and movement route, we can just steal a boat. The crossing is only 8 miles. We could be across and on the island before anyone knew the boat was gone.
Fuchs
Stealing a boat is an unneeded risk in my opinion. Too many chances it could go wrong (hidden transceiver/signal beacon, more security than expected, not enough speed/defenses if we have to bail out under pursuit). With the payment offered, I do not think we should try to save on transportation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012