Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Phoenix Rising
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
crizh
It does limit our options somewhat. We cannot do the hit until the data-steal is done.

We can't whack her without the Spirit's Summoner becoming aware of it, it's even more effective than a bio-monitor because there is no way to spoof it.

As to cyberware, she has a whole bunch of headware. Control Rig, Encephalon, Comm-link that sort of stuff.

That still doesn't preclude her being Awakened however. I'm sure that could all be squeezed into one point of Essence.
Oenone
A Control Rig and an Encephalon? Okay now I'm beginning to wonder if she's got some kind of drone support too and it would imply she's also pretty matrix smart. So that rules out potentially being able to kill her with Black IC.

It'd be very very expensive to fit all that cyberware into one point. The lower quality encephalon is .75 all by itself which means they'd have to be deltaware implants or maybe betaware with the Biocompatability quality.

A sniper kill looks increasingly like the best option (although I do still think demolitions is a viable plan). Which is why I suggested swapping Etoile and Tom, unless the data-steal team could stand to drop Tom entirely?

Tarantula
First, I never did roll for Ralphs disguise, so with an extra 4 dice (limited by his skill) from DD, heres the roll.

[2,2,1,6,1,4,1,1,5,6,1,2,2,3] = (3)
Disguise before seeing the target (14d6.hits(5)=3)
Little Johnson
What if we combine the two tasks?

Do the steal and work out way to get her to the lab and pop her there.

Or we do the steal. evac all but me and i shoot her when she comes to check out what ever we do to the lab. I then get as stealthy as i can and wait out the search for the shooter.
bmcoomes
Whare were you guys going to meet at?

Brent
Shalimar
Given that her magic is at 1, she could not have summoned a Force 6 spirit, and any magic she can throw around is pretty negligible, even over casting. But she does have to be awakened beyond just Astral Sight given that she has so much 'ware and is still magically active since a single implant would remove the Astral Sight quality.
Shalimar
QUOTE (bmcoomes @ Sep 21 2008, 07:12 PM) *
Whare were you guys going to meet at?

Brent

We never declared it, but I think we could probably meet up in the back room of the resturant again, unless anyone has a big enough place for 11 people that wont raise alarms when those people start showing up. Charlie's place is big enough but she weouldn't invite people there since Bellevue is Luxury/High neighborhood with a Lonestar presence to match.
bmcoomes
QUOTE (Shalimar @ Sep 21 2008, 06:59 PM) *
Given that her magic is at 1, she could not have summoned a Force 6 spirit, and any magic she can throw around is pretty negligible, even over casting. But she does have to be awakened beyond just Astral Sight given that she has so much 'ware and is still magically active since a single implant would remove the Astral Sight quality.

From my understanding as long as she has at lest 1 essence point left she would still have 1 magic rating.

Brent
Shalimar
QUOTE (bmcoomes @ Sep 21 2008, 08:07 PM) *
From my understanding as long as she has at lest 1 essence point left she would still have 1 magic rating.

Brent

Nope, its subject to the normal essence loss rules, ie for each point, or partial point of essence loss, the character looses 1 pt of magic, with Astral Sight you get 1pt of Magic and Cannot ever increase it above 1. I don't think it would be unbalanced with the Astral Sight quality if it worked the way you described since it basically bars the person from ever getting any modifications of any kind and also bars them from having magic of any kind too with the way it works now.
bmcoomes
QUOTE (Shalimar @ Sep 21 2008, 07:21 PM) *
Nope, its subject to the normal essence loss rules, ie for each point, or partial point of essence loss, the character looses 1 pt of magic, with Astral Sight you get 1pt of Magic and Cannot ever increase it above 1. I don't think it would be unbalanced with the Astral Sight quality if it worked the way you described since it basically bars the person from ever getting any modifications of any kind and also bars them from having magic of any kind too with the way it works now.

I see your right. Right, but I think a better way around it would be to allow it to be bought at any time instead of character creation. which makes more sense to me. Why cann't anyone learn that or develop that ability I don't think it would mess with things tomuch just and the flavor that more people can see the astral.

Brent
Shalimar
Do you mind if we just meet up at Nyen Lang again?
bmcoomes
Nope thats fine with me.
crizh
The Latent Talent quality would have let her do exactly that...
bmcoomes
Sorry I changed his name I like riptide better than neptune.

Brent
Little Johnson
Would save a lot of running arround if the hackers could set up a VR meeting room , secure it then call the johnson in. Its as secure as the resteraunt in my oppinion . We have his comcode.
Shalimar
QUOTE (Little Johnson @ Sep 21 2008, 09:31 PM) *
Would save a lot of running arround if the hackers could set up a VR meeting room , secure it then call the johnson in. Its as secure as the resteraunt in my oppinion . We have his comcode.

As far as I know, we aren't contacting the Johnson at all until after the run. We did need to include the smuggler, but I'm totally sorry if I jumped the gun on this. It didn't even occur to me to do a VR meeting. It does give us a chance to eat a good last meal though nyahnyah.gif
Oenone
Hmmm personally I'd say a VR meet would be better, mainly as in a resteraunt we can't really be sure of the security measures in place. For all we know the owner could be spying on all the guests with the spirits used for serving drinks etc.

The other problem is that it involves a trip to and from the place, as I doubt everyone will be able to walk in with full combat kit on us. Concealed pistols are one thing, but something like an AK-97 is a bit too bulky to hide. Plus we'd have to hire out the room again, which may or may not be expensive depending on the quality of the place.

Ah. Should have checked the IC thread first, looks like we're already set up at Nyen Lang. Oh well, at least this way it cuts down on our matrix security issues!
DWC
I'd argue that getting together in one place actually makes our matrix security issues worse. Encryption in Shadowrun is basically useless, and the only way to avoid being eavesdropped on is to not give someone any reason to listen in on what you're doing, and the very same eavesdropping is undetectable.
Oenone
How exactly does not using the matrix to communicate make our matrix security worse? smile.gif

And even if we do use it at that short a range there is very little chance of someone using a signal scanner to pick up our communications unless they're in the room with us. (But I suspect Jake is likely to be packing some fibre-optic cable, in which case we could literally just hook everyone up and chat via the cable)

Edit - Unless you're meaning someone hacking a camera or maybe having spy drones in the room with us?
Fuchs
How the matrix actions turn out depends on the system's stats, if I need to roll more or spend edge I can do that.
Oenone
Ooo now that could be handy. If nothing else it means DD can stop her calling for help and it's rather likely she might have some valuble paydata on there. We might even be able to find out which corporation employs her, if we don't already know?

crizh
Several of us are posting in different time frames IC, can we try to be conscious of the time codes on other peoples posts, things are starting to get confused.

@DWC. If her internal comm-link is slaved to an external node it must still have it's wireless enabled.

In fact that makes an attack easier, given a few minutes to observe the node you can pin down the AccessID of the Master Node and start spoofing commands to the slave with automatic Admin privileges.

I was thinking that turning on her RAS override would make for some amusing fun...
bmcoomes
Yeah, I seen that. That's why I'm waiting to move forward some so people can catch up.

Brent
Fuchs
What about the hacking in the university?
bmcoomes
I'm working on that right now, few questions Fuchs. Your 14d6 roll is that your hacking + exploit test?, and your search roll was that your Electronic warfare + Scan test? From there I'll be able to move forward for you.
Fuchs
Yes, 14d6 is hacking and exploit, the electronic warfare and scan was the "scanning for hidden nodes" in the first spoiler.
Little Johnson
If hitting her while shes still in the water would neutrelize the fire elementel then we should take that into concideration.

makes a hit from either bank more appealing.and or swamping her with drone fire and a waterelemental to pull all the peices to the botum .
DWC
Crizh: It's actually probably going to make the attack on her commlink harder. Generally, you'd slave a commlink to something more secure so that anyone who wants to hack it has to hack the master node. Unless her commlink isn't slaved during the day, DD's about to find out how secure the master node is.
Shalimar
QUOTE (Little Johnson @ Sep 22 2008, 03:38 PM) *
If hitting her while shes still in the water would neutrelize the fire elementel then we should take that into concideration.

makes a hit from either bank more appealing.and or swamping her with drone fire and a waterelemental to pull all the peices to the botum .

Fire Elementals are severely allergic to water (Water Elementals are alergic to fire). So attacking in the middle of the water can't be good for the thing.
crizh
QUOTE (DWC @ Sep 22 2008, 08:46 PM) *
anyone who wants to hack it has to hack the master node.

Or spoof commands from the master node. If you have sufficient time to study the traffic you can learn the Master Node's AccessID.

From that point on you own the slave node.

Fuchs
Well, if the commlink in her head is not operating in wireless right now, then DD won't find it to hack it. Simple nyahnyah.gif
crizh
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Sep 22 2008, 08:54 PM) *
Well, if the commlink in her head is not operating in wireless right now, then DD won't find it to hack it. Simple nyahnyah.gif

It has to be, it's slaved to another remote node.

If you can analyse/decrypt the data-stream you can step into the middle pretending to be the Master.

You wouldn't even need to load up exploit...

You could create the back door you already posted rolls for and re-slave it to one of your own nodes and spoof a dummy node with her AccessID. Neither end would be aware of the "Man in the middle" until it was too late...
DWC
It probably is, since it's most likely acting as a chokepoint to all her other cyberware. It's how all the PC hackers are set up. smile.gif
bmcoomes
QUOTE (crizh @ Sep 22 2008, 03:02 PM) *
It has to be, it's slaved to another remote node.

If you can analyse/decrypt the data-stream you can step into the middle pretending to be the Master.

You wouldn't even need to load up exploit...

You could create the back door you already posted rolls for and re-slave it to one of your own nodes and spoof a dummy node with her AccessID. Neither end would be aware of the "Man in the middle" until it was too late...

Crizh: She was slaved to an other node last night not today. It's just her headware commlink standing all alone in the dark. smile.gif
DWC
Oh, and by spoofing her AccessID, you can probably just walk unmolested through the building''s electronic security during the incursion, since the building would think the spoofing node is actually her.
Oenone
QUOTE (Shalimar @ Sep 22 2008, 08:48 PM) *
Fire Elementals are severely allergic to water (Water Elementals are alergic to fire). So attacking in the middle of the water can't be good for the thing.

Hmm but can't elementals just fly? In which case it'll just float above the boat and torch things, staying well away from the actual water. Perhaps if someone has a spell / spirit power which controls water so we can soak it?

One thing we might want to consider is proof of death, something we can't actually be sure of if she's lost at sea. Which might in turn reduce the amount Johnson is willing to actually pay us.
crizh
QUOTE (bmcoomes @ Sep 22 2008, 09:05 PM) *
Crizh: She was slaved to an other node last night not today. It's just her headware commlink standing all alone in the dark. smile.gif

Just to clarify, during her class her headware comm-link is wireless-dark?

In which case DD cannot, indeed, detect it at all.
DWC
I think he meant it's not slaved to anything. Considering where she is and what she does, it's probably not even in Hidden Mode.
bmcoomes
QUOTE (crizh @ Sep 22 2008, 03:10 PM) *
Just to clarify, during her class her headware comm-link is wireless-dark?

In which case DD cannot, indeed, detect it at all.

No, the last part was a joke. her commlink was in hidden mode but active.
I'd think it would be in hidden mode at the lest to keep students from playing with it.

Brent
DWC
QUOTE (bmcoomes @ Sep 22 2008, 03:13 PM) *
No, the last part was a joke. her commlink was in hidden mode but active.

Neat. I figured she'd be Passive, since being Hidden is illegal in so many places.
bmcoomes
it's her classroom, I'd really don't think she needs to broadcast her SIN in there.
crizh
In which case DD may, indeed have been able to hack into it and create a backdoor.

The access logs in particular would be of interest as they would give details of the node she slaves it to for work.
Fuchs
DD got detected, and the node shut off.
Fuchs
(I'd like some idea of what is expected of DD.)
Little Johnson
Jake if there is no outside access wont any live network security be onsite too?

If theres a corp hacker youll have to face he will have to be onsite. That meens if we can locate him and remove him or his access then youll have less opposition. Not too savy on matrix stuff but id bet IC is better to deal with than a live persona.
Fuchs
I don't get why one would have to follow the access ID to the security node - wouldn't it be faster to directly go to the security node?
Fuchs
(Posted the search for the comm code and following probing rolls. If no alert is triggered, DD will install herself a back door, download security data (access codes/routines, cameras, patrols, etc.) and get out again.)
DWC
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Sep 23 2008, 06:30 AM) *
I don't get why one would have to follow the access ID to the security node - wouldn't it be faster to directly go to the security node?

No one has been able to find anything on the facility's security node to use to connect to it so Truth is theorizing.
Fuchs
DD's not probing the facility - that's what Jake is doing - she's probing the building where the scientist lives.
Oenone
QUOTE (Little Johnson @ Sep 23 2008, 06:47 AM) *
Jake if there is no outside access wont any live network security be onsite too?

If theres a corp hacker youll have to face he will have to be onsite. That meens if we can locate him and remove him or his access then youll have less opposition. Not too savy on matrix stuff but id bet IC is better to deal with than a live persona.

That depends, they could be running the security rigger via a hard wired connection. Say a direct fibre-optic link from another facility.

It's unlikely, but possible. Plus actually hunting down the security rigger in person means tracking him/her down in a large facility we have no maps for and then gaining access without being spotted. Which adds considerably to the time needed for the job, increases the risk and generally won't be worth the trouble.

EDIT - Out of interest what sort of house is it? And if it's an apartment and not a house then how many floors up is she? Does the place have a garden or car park? (If there have actually been maps linked to with this info on can someone direct me to them, as I can't remember seeing anything in the IC or OOC threads.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012