Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Phoenix Rising
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
bmcoomes
QUOTE (crizh @ Sep 26 2008, 11:48 AM) *
Brent edited it. Just a little hole now.

Sorry, it makes more sense for it to give around the drilled holes in a controlled manner.

Brent
bmcoomes
Well the guard might know what going on once the fire spirit climaxes and something goes up in flames. But hay it's a good idea, it'll be instresting to see that for sure.

Brent
Shalimar
Umm...why would anything be set on fire? You need to be materialized to affect things on the physical, from the way its been described,the spirits aren't even manifesting.

EDIT: On a sidenote, screw levitate, Orgy is the next spell I'm learning. Area Effect disablement.

This also could have been made easier if we thought ahead and had a Water Spirit call up a Storm...with their allergy to water the Elementals would have been fairly well neutralized. I take the blame for this one since I should have checked it out astrally ahead of time.
bmcoomes
QUOTE (Shalimar @ Sep 26 2008, 01:12 PM) *
Umm...why would anything be set on fire? You need to be materialized to affect things on the physical, from the way its been described,the spirits aren't even manifesting.

Right I was making a funny, I guess a bad funny.

Brent
Shalimar
QUOTE (bmcoomes @ Sep 26 2008, 05:14 PM) *
Right I was making a funny, I guess a bad funny.

Brent

Sorry, just feeling a little paranoid with all of these canaries around waiting to alert the security system nyahnyah.gif

It would be somewhat interesting to see the astral during it though.
Little Johnson
So we are now waiting to see if we can splice a connection from the hole that was made?
Shalimar
QUOTE (Little Johnson @ Sep 26 2008, 05:34 PM) *
So we are now waiting to see if we can splice a connection from the hole that was made?

If we have to go in, there is a 0% chance we wont be seen by the Spirits. That means we have to deal with them first, the only way of doing that that we have that wont immediately let their summoner know they were disrupted is the Orgasm spell which Charlie can't split and still be sure of incapacitating them. So charlie needs two complex actions to incapacitate both of them. With surprise she could probably do it with the ambush rules. It would mean she can't go in if she wanted to maintain the spells. It would also mean that the team loses access to her spirit's concealment on the inside. Depending on how many Services Dancing Eyes has left he could have the spirit do an astral shortcut and then conceal the 5 of them on the inside of the building.

It would free up Charlie to back off and summon her big spirit now instead of having to wait until its possibly too late.
Oenone
QUOTE (Little Johnson @ Sep 26 2008, 10:34 PM) *

Looks like it. I mean why risk going in and raising an alarm if the job can be done via a hole in the floor?
bmcoomes
Crizh: Do I understand you right that the drone is going under the facility?

crizh
QUOTE (bmcoomes @ Sep 27 2008, 01:26 AM) *
Crizh: Do I understand you right that the drone is going under the facility?

Assuming that:

1: There are no patroling Spirits or active Spells under the facility.

2: That 6 Hits on Observe in Detail with the Drone and every sensor I own in there don't detect any sensors.

Then yes.

bmcoomes
QUOTE (crizh @ Sep 26 2008, 05:34 PM) *
Assuming that:

1: There are no patroling Spirits or active Spells under the facility.

2: That 6 Hits on Observe in Detail with the Drone and every sensor I own in there don't detect any sensors.

Then yes.

Ok, Yes there is no patrolling and yes there are no sensors.

Did I have someone looking for other nodes? I can't remember who was.

Brent
DWC
Just had a death in the family and will be away until Monday night. I'll probably keep an eye on things, but will be pretty quiet until I get back.
bmcoomes
Not a problem, go a head and take care of things. My best wishes.

Brent
Zaranthan
Sorry to hear that. I'll say a prayer for you and yours.
Fuchs
My condolences.

For the facitlity job: What about creating another "Merrow Incident" as a diversion some distance away? If a spirit would do some eco-tampering, even the spirits might be busy for a little time.
crizh
@DWC, my condolences, hope to see you soon.

Now, off to bed, try not to shoot anyone till I get back....
Shalimar
Wouldn't the spirits be able to tell that the Merrow are only an illusion (Trid Phantasm?)

My suggestion is still to just incapacitate the spirits with sustained orgasms. That would leave the other 5 team members free to sneak in.
crizh
I was thinking more of creating the 'idea' of Merrow in the Bay rather than actually trying to fake them.
Shalimar
Ahh...but how tuned in are the security guards going to be to whats going on out in the bay? And wouldn't that put them on higher alert?
crizh
I'm hoping pretty tuned in. Otherwise they ain't very good guards. And if they've encountered the Merrow previously they're going to expect a few odd bumps and thumbs.
Fuchs
I was thinking of using a spirit to create some disturbance or such, then have the spirit leave before guards arrive. With a "I saw a merrow" report, that might cuase the guards to linge,r and may even get the spirits involved - in case merrows have shamans.
Oenone
@Deadman Where exactly is Noowan right now? Is he in the car with Winston and Etoile?

I was just wondering as I'm not sure if she'd reply via Subvocal or just reply normally.

Edit below

She's still in the middle of having a meal right? Nothings changed since the last update in regard to her location?
bmcoomes
Yes, he is in the car with winston and etoile.

Brent
Coldhand Jake
QUOTE (Shalimar @ Sep 28 2008, 07:41 AM) *
Wouldn't the spirits be able to tell that the Merrow are only an illusion (Trid Phantasm?)

My suggestion is still to just incapacitate the spirits with sustained orgasms. That would leave the other 5 team members free to sneak in.

I like the way you think.
bmcoomes
So do we want to move forward or sit tight?

Brent
crizh
I'll start to move forward if nobody has any objection. I would prefer to get Ralph's feedback before we start, he's got a much higher Perception pool than me.

But I do want to get on...
bmcoomes
I'm all fine for you to move forward, I'll roll for him in his stead but there is nothing there.

Ralphs Perception roll 18d6 = 6 hits

Brent
Fuchs
DD's just waiting, so we can move forward anytime.
Shalimar
At this point I'm not entirely sure how it is we are moving forward. The only way that I can think of is to disable the spirits without alerting the boss. At that point the team will need to sneak into the facility past the guards, leaving Charlie behind to keep the spirits out of things. Is that what we are doing guys?

The reason I don't think the Merrow thing will work is that the Spirits almost certainly wont leave their posts. If they were bound (most likely permanently) to guard the facility they are going to patrol it and not leave, they are going to see anyone entering the place pretty much immediately and attack them alerting the guards in the process. They are pretty smart, but spirits bound to a task are very single minded on that task.
Oenone
I thought Gecko was doing some more smashing and sneaking his drone in? The Merrow idea I thought was intended to draw the guards away while he makes a bigger hole? If so can we do that via hacking the guards communications network? Or slipping in false radio messages?

The trouble with using Orgasm on the spirits is it might just alert the controller that they're under attack, because they're the target of a magical effect.
Shalimar
QUOTE (Oenone @ Sep 28 2008, 02:50 PM) *
The trouble with using Orgasm on the spirits is it might just alert the controller that they're under attack, because they're the target of a magical effect.

If thats the case then spirits are infalliable alarms and we might as well pack it in. If you disrupt them the summoner knows, you can't sneak by them since they are viewing everything from the astral and living things are easy to view from the Astral, as we've already proved. You can't disable them without disrupting them because the summoner will know that too. That leaves the only way to move forward with guns and spells blazing and hoping we can get in steal the data in the 2 minutes (being extremely generous) that we would have before spiders take the place over and secure the data away from anywhere that we could possibly get it. We would have astral security on our butts within seconds, either multiple spirits sent buy the summoner of these spirits, or a couple of mages popping in in the astral.
Oenone
If Gecko can make a way in under the facility proper maybe people could sneak in from below? I don't know if anyone ever looked into storm drains as an access point, but they should be big enough for people.

It would then depend on what blocks line of sight from the astral? Because if they still have to follow normal perception rules it might well be possible to get past still.

Edit - There isn't any way we can tweak the security somehow? So a false alarm is triggered which diverts the guards and spirits, who then decide it was just a kid messing around or something.... Probably not possible without more planning, but worth suggesting just in case anyone has an idea.
bmcoomes
The only way I could see them informing there summoner would be if there they can communicate. So the orgasm spell would have to give -6 die pool modifier to the spirits to lock them up.

Brent
Oenone
In which case that plan is down to a question of 'Does Charlie think she can hit a -6 on each spirit?'
Shalimar
The facility is warded so at the very least our spirits, concealment, sustained spells, etc will need to be deactivated. But that fine, though I'll need to totally resummon since I only had the one service.

I think you are wrong about spirits though, the rules only say the summoner knows if the spirit has been disrupted, not anything about just being the target of a magical effect. That is just for normal spirits. Spirits that have been long term bound (Year and a Day), no longer count as bound spirits to the summoner so I'd say that the summoner would get even less information than a normally bound spirit.

Brent, what Force are the spirits? At force 4 I should need 5 net hits, assuming they'll get 1 success from their 4 will, it'd be 6 hits to do it. It would preclude me using my sustaining focus, but thats fine I should be able to get 6 hits against each if I use a pair of Force 9 spells (DV is only 2).
Oenone
I wasn't meaning the summoner knowing innately. I meant if the spirits orders are to report magical attacks, sorry if I didn't make that clear in my post earlier.

Edit - It all depends on how well planned out the security mages instructions were. If they accounted for an orgasm spell or some other non lethal attack then we're in trouble, but if that approach is unconvention enough to not be included we've got a way in.
bmcoomes
As per the BBB it would communicate to the summoner as long as it has that ability to do so.

"Spirit-Summoner Link
A telepathic link exists between a spirit and its summoner at all times. This allows the spirit to communicate with its summoner from astral space without revealing itself. This link also allows communication over a distance—though it does not extend to the metaplanes. For this reason, a summoner will know when a spirit she has summoned has been disrupted, as she will feel the loss of the mental link." - SR4 pg 177
Oenone
QUOTE (bmcoomes @ Sep 28 2008, 08:46 PM) *
As per the BBB it would communicate to the summoner as long as it has that ability to do so.

"Spirit-Summoner Link
A telepathic link exists between a spirit and its summoner at all times. This allows the spirit to communicate with its summoner from astral space without revealing itself. This link also allows communication over a distance—though it does not extend to the metaplanes. For this reason, a summoner will know when a spirit she has summoned has been disrupted, as she will feel the loss of the mental link." - SR4 pg 177

If it has a telepathic link and you hit it hard enough with the orgasm spell is there not some chance the mage linked to the spirit will get telepathic feedback (I know this is probably not technically RAW but it makes some sense) and suffer from the same effect?
Shalimar
QUOTE (bmcoomes @ Sep 28 2008, 03:46 PM) *

"Spirit-Summoner Link
A telepathic link exists between a spirit and its summoner at all times. This allows the spirit to communicate with its summoner from astral space without revealing itself. This link also allows communication over a distance��"though it does not extend to the metaplanes. For this reason, a summoner will know when a spirit she has summoned has been disrupted, as she will feel the loss of the mental link." - SR4 pg 177

Yeah, I knew I had to lock them up. I was just trying to figure out if the summoner would know even if they were locked up just because they were targeted by some magical effect.

This would be a lot easier with the Orgy spell rotfl.gif . One Orgy at Force 9 is way easier then two seperate Orgasms.
crizh
The Merrows thing isn't an attempt to move the Guards or Spirits, just to give the Guards a plausible excuse to ignore any weird noises they might feel.

At any rate I'm going to press on, I'm nearly finished writing an IC post....
bmcoomes
I don't think so becuse both ends of the link would be 'protected' aka shielded so that would not happen.
Shalimar
QUOTE (bmcoomes @ Sep 28 2008, 03:34 PM) *
The only way I could see them informing there summoner would be if there they can communicate. So the orgasm spell would have to give -6 die pool modifier to the spirits to lock them up.

Brent

Since the spirit is only Force 4 (4 will) does that mean I just need to give it a net -5?
Oenone
QUOTE (bmcoomes @ Sep 28 2008, 08:52 PM) *
I don't think so becuse both ends of the link would be 'protected' aka shielded so that would not happen.

I suspected as much, but the idea of a military security mage being randomly struck by an orgasm spell and falling over was too funny to pass up on.
Shalimar
I'm almost 100% positive I could get 6 hits on each if I'm willing to spend edge, (which I am). 6 net hits on each is a bit different since I'd need at least 7 hits on each, and my pool for the second spell would be 12 instead of 14. If I only need 5 net hits on each (1 more than their will of 4) I could definitely do it.

If Dancing Eyes hit the 2nd with a low level Stunbolt (not disrupting it) while I'm hitting the first, so that when I hit the second one its defenses are lowered a bit it would make it easier since its already contending with penalties for me to add on to. Then again I'd need to beat it in the initiative for the second pass, but I'd need to do that either way.

It has initiative 11
Charlie has Initiative 10

If it has a penalty from a stun bolt she'd be able to hit it with the orgasm before it could react. With the +6 to initiative for the Ambush Charlie and Dancing eyes should be able to pull it off, unless people see a glaring problem.
Shalimar
Where exactly is Gecko? Is he underneath the building and trying to come up through the floor?
bmcoomes
Shalimar: Sorry, yes 4. They are force 4 spirits. I don't see anything wrong with that look right on.

Oenone: Yes that would be very funny.

Gecko just made the hole big enough for him to get under the compound.
Oenone
@Brent - Out of interest, how far into her meal is the wetwork target? Is she on her starter or has enough time passed for them to be on the main course?
crizh
OK, didn't use Elemental Strike that time to try and reduce the noise. Hopefully 7 Hits on Infiltration plus Concealment will be more than sufficient to avoid notice.
bmcoomes
They been there about an hour so they have had an appitiser, some drinks, and have just started the meal.

Brent
bmcoomes
any of you guys/galls play on OpenRPG?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012