Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Phoenix Rising
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
Oenone
It's probably tasked with protecting her body, rather than her life. As she has important data in her head.

Also.... damn it saw Etoile.

She's down but it's going to take Noowans spirits or maybe Truths drone to get out of here okay.

Time to read up on how hard to harm spirits are with bullets... Etoile has at least 2 IP's worth of shooting left in this turn so hopefully she can do something productive to it.

Edit - Well okay anything short of going fullauto on it seems unlikely to do more than increase the amount of evidence we leave behind.
Shalimar
Well, if it was a long term service (bound for a year and a day) about the only way to do it cost effectively, it would be the only service since long term bindings wipe away all other services. It really comes down to the order.

Kill anyone that attacks Dr. Cummings: Spirit will Kill the person regardless of the Doctor's status, and disappear after she died once it killed her attacker.

Guard Doctor Cummings: Spirit does what ever it can to protect/keep her alive but will disappear immediately when she dies

Remember, spirits hate being bound, they view it as slavery. As soon as they can go free they do.
crizh
Eeek, that carbine is rubbish.

It has 12 points of hardened armour. You'll need to beat that without bonuses from autofire.

Best bet is to use Called Shot, take a -4 DP penalty for a -4 AP mod. You'll still need 4 net hits to overcome it's armour.

Truth probably stands a much better chance with the LEBD or Noowan could get out the van and kick it's ar*e.
crizh
QUOTE (Shalimar @ Oct 1 2008, 09:36 PM) *
Well, if it was a long term service (bound for a year and a day) about the only way to do it cost effectively, it would be the only service since long term bindings wipe away all other services.

I'm pretty sure that has been errata'd.

edit - no need for errata. It says 'services or set of services' in Street Magic. It can perform several ongoing services at once.
Oenone
QUOTE (crizh @ Oct 1 2008, 09:37 PM) *

In the carbines defence, it's pretty cheap and much better than a lot of the other carbines which were on offer. At least the ones I could get in the time frame that is. In hindsight I'd have been better with a fully fledged assault rifle.

Edit - And yeah given range penalties and the aimed shot penalty there is no way Etoile can even scratch it with bullets. Her only choices are down to run for the car or run while getting torched by the spirit.

Here's hoping Noowan and Truth have better luck. Or that Charlie and Tick-Tock can astrally head over and help out (likely to be hard as they'd have no way of knowing where to go).
DWC
It also has the benefit of being a good throwaway gun. After the job, it can go into a bucket of thermite and never be seen again without anyone shedding a tear for it.
bmcoomes
I'd say they know were they are with the tacnet and the overhead vedio shoots from the drones.

Brent
DWC
@Brent: are we in initiative on the wetwork side?
Oenone
Not sure about anyone else but I rolled for Etoile.

Noowan and Winston are in amorphous blob mode atm it seems, so if they act I guess it's up to Brent.
crizh
The AK-97 Assault Rifle would only have cost another 100 and has more than triple the range.

If I'd realised the Guards were going to be in Military grade armour she could have borrowed my Ingram instead of buying a new gun. It comes with a built in sound-suppressor...
bmcoomes
yes roll Initiative, I'll do up winston and Noowan.

Brent
Oenone
QUOTE (crizh @ Oct 1 2008, 09:57 PM) *
The AK-97 Assault Rifle would only have cost another 100 and has more than triple the range.

If I'd realised the Guards were going to be in Military grade armour she could have borrowed my Ingram instead of buying a new gun. It comes with a built in sound-suppressor...

True, but I was expecting she'd need to be firing indoors. Hence picking the submachinegun.

And she's not shooting guards, it's the force 6 spirit which is the problem. But yeah I doubt it'd have found her if she was using the Ingram.

To be honest given suitable time to prepare I'd have got her a much more appropriate weapon (because I agree the AK Carbine isn't at all suited to the task at hand), but it was on short notice so I went for something cheap which she could use on any Lone Star officers who caught us (I don't think we knew about the spirit at the time so being close up wasn't an issue then).

Edit - But what's done in done, lets hope this ends well and then I can spend some serious Nuyen on a nice shiny firearm which will make gunbunnies drool.
Tarantula
QUOTE (crizh @ Oct 1 2008, 02:37 PM) *

It has 12 points of hardened armour. You'll need to beat that without bonuses from autofire.

Best bet is to use Called Shot, take a -4 DP penalty for a -4 AP mod. You'll still need 4 net hits to overcome it's armour.

Truth probably stands a much better chance with the LEBD or Noowan could get out the van and kick it's ar*e.

You mean better off doing a called shot at -4 for a +4DV mod? Because you can't selectively do armor bypassing, and frankly, any GM who allows you to avoid the spirits armor power that comes from being a spirit is... crazy.
crizh
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Oct 1 2008, 10:09 PM) *
You mean better off doing a called shot at -4 for a +4DV mod? Because you can't selectively do armor bypassing, and frankly, any GM who allows you to avoid the spirits armor power that comes from being a spirit is... crazy.

Umm, yeah, what you said....

D'oh.
bmcoomes
I'm edited the initiatives now Opps.

Brent
Oenone
QUOTE (bmcoomes @ Oct 1 2008, 10:23 PM) *
I'm edited the initiatives now Opps.

Brent

Still seeing some gaps without numbers in. :/

Oh and Etoiles new score is under the spoiler tag. She got the same score as Truth, but I'm happy with letting him go first without rolling off or anything if you don't mind?

Edit - Silly question, but how come the F6 Fire spirit rolled 24 dice? Surely it should be rolling Reactions 6 + Intuition 6 for a total of 12? Or am I missing a spirit power / edge spend / etc?

Edit 2 - Noticed I had an extra free action from IP 3 to get in a line of dialogue with. So added one in as it seemed appropriate and potentially handy.
bmcoomes
Should be there now. He got 21 and you have 17?

Brent
Shalimar
I was about to ask the same thing about the spirit.

Oenone
QUOTE (bmcoomes @ Oct 1 2008, 10:29 PM) *
Should be there now. He got 21 and you have 17?

Brent

Truth's Initiative: 12 + 5 = 17 w/ 3 passes

Hmm, well according to the post it's the same as Etoile. Unless you're meaning his drone?

Oh wait. You mean Winston right? He seems to be the only one on 21 atm from what I can see.
bmcoomes
Nope, sorry I have truth and Winston mixed up in my head. I'm trying to do to many things at once.
bmcoomes
double post
Fuchs
DD took about 3 passes for this search, can hack (if successful) next round if there is a node for sprinklers.
bmcoomes
I'm going to need an Initiative roll so I can keep track on when you fine the node and all that.

Brent
Shalimar
If the spirit is lucky it might get 2 IPs before it's pulled down by the three spirits, two drones, and Noowan. That's what I'm hoping anyway.
Tarantula
Spirit initiative might be so high due to not checking errata that make spirits reaction Force+mod and not Force*mod as is listed in the original printings.
bmcoomes
Yeah I missed that but It's fixed now.

Brent
Oenone
QUOTE (Shalimar @ Oct 1 2008, 10:47 PM) *
If the spirit is lucky it might get 2 IPs before it's pulled down by the three spirits, two drones, and Noowan. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

Finger crossing time methinks.

I shall resist the urge to look up the fire spirit abilities, because then I won't know how badly it's going to hurt if it gets any hits in.

Here's hoping the attack can be dodged with the dodge skill....
Fuchs
Edited DD's initiative (in the matrix) in for next round.
Shalimar
QUOTE (Oenone @ Oct 1 2008, 05:49 PM) *
Finger crossing time methinks.

I shall resist the urge to look up the fire spirit abilities, because then I won't know how badly it's going to hurt if it gets any hits in.

Here's hoping the attack can be dodged with the dodge skill....

You have two points of edge, so that should help out since if it gets a second pass it's going to be facing major penalties.

Oenone
True.

Hopefully I should be able to default to a full defence action with an IP if attacked, which Etoile is fairly good at. Having Move by Wire, decent dodge skill and nice reactions stat. So hopefully it'll struggle to land a decent hit in without me needing to break into my limited edge reserve....

Edit - @Brent - If I'm reading the section correctly Etoile can use her next IP's complex action to go into full defence and try dodge out of the way, right?

If so do I post the roll in the IC thread or would you rather it was here in the OOC one?

Edit 2 - @Everyone - Does anyone know how to make Invisible Castle only show up hits? As after the rolls earlier I'm kinda fed up counting them out manually.
Fuchs
Like this: 10d6.hits(5)
bmcoomes
I'd like it in the IC thread so we can keep everything together. Yes you can full defense at anytime.
Oenone
Okay then, as I have to head for sleep now I'll post the dodge here. Edit Doh just clicked post and then saw you wanted it in the IC thread. Will copy it over.

Consider Etoile to spend the rest of her turns IP's getting into Winstons car and hiding, closing the door behind her.

Full Defence dodge test for Etoile.

Reactions Attribute = 9
Dodge Skill = 4
Specialization = +2 Ranged
Move By Wire Rating 2 = +2 Dice
Defender Running = +2 Dice (I assume she gets this as she was still running last IP)

19d6.hits(5) → [6,6,2,3,4,3,1,5,5,2,2,5,3,2,6,6,2,5,2] = 8 Hits.

Full Defence dodge test for Etoile. Reactions Attribute = 9 Dodge Skill = +4 Specialization = +2 Ranged Move By Wire Rating 2 = +2 Dice Running = +2 Dice (19d6.hits(5)=cool.gif
DWC
Nice. Getting set on fire is tacky.
Oenone
QUOTE (DWC @ Oct 2 2008, 12:06 AM) *
Nice. Getting set on fire is tacky.

Yes indeed it's /so/ last season.
bmcoomes
Zaranthan: get me an initiative since your on your way.

Truth your up.

-edited-
Oenone
Anyway try not to kill me while I'm sleeping! biggrin.gif

Goodnight and goodluck taking this thing down.
crizh
@DWC

Ouch!
Shalimar
I just pulled an oops nyahnyah.gif

Question, if someone is patching up my body while I am Astral, does my astral body get patched up to?

And uh, since Astral forms have 3 IPs, does my sustained Increased Reflexes then give me 5 Passes?

Oh well, if nothing else, a force 10 concealment will help the wet works team get away.
DWC
Doesn't Armor get rolled as additional soak dice, rather than outright reducing the attacks damage value?
bmcoomes
nope, your right I'll fix it.
Shalimar
Hey Brent, since the Drone goes before me, can I adjust my action to the fact the Spirit is almost dead?
bmcoomes
sure,
Shalimar
QUOTE (bmcoomes @ Oct 1 2008, 08:38 PM) *
sure,

I dropped it to a Force 5. On the Second Initive Pass I'll go Astral. With the third I'll head to the scene.
DWC
Cool. There will be plenty of folks around to drive off whatever the summoner throws out in response to the fire spirit getting hulled.
Shalimar
The summoner should only be able to summon a single spirit unless he has a lot of bound spirits on hand which would be bad. We aren't going to win a war of attrition when Lonestar is going to show up, and the enemy is the UCAS army.

Then again, even if the spirit does die it doesn't matter, the caster wont know where it was without astral tracking, and within an hour that the astral tracking takes we will be gone. He might learn faster if he queries a tracker she had on her (if it still exists), but even that will take at least a couple of turns to find out if not minutes. In minutes we will all be gone. If the spirit was assigned to guard a specific place it'd be easy to know where it died, finding where a spirit died that is constantly on the move would be a very different thing.
DWC
Good point. Just have to hope that the summoner isn't awake right now. Would having a spirit popped wake a summoner up?
Shalimar
Maybe, maybe not. Even if he is awake its not like he could get to us in time, or send another spirit since it would take at least an hour by astral tracking regardless.
DWC
QUOTE (Shalimar @ Oct 1 2008, 10:47 PM) *
Maybe, maybe not. Even if he is awake its not like he could get to us in time, or send another spirit since it would take at least an hour by astral tracking regardless.

I'd guess that the summoner is part of a security team that's tracking her commlink. We'll see how quickly they respond.
Shalimar
I would think at least a minute or so from the point at which the spirit goes pop.

Fuchs went to bed, but before that we were discussing having DD block the Biomonitor and such. I may be misremembering, but didn't DD/Jake/Truth hack the commlink at somepoint during the day and give us a backdoor into it? They could spoof it to buy some time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012