Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Phoenix Rising
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
bmcoomes
Nope, no one got in to her commlink. They would have to hack the node that it send the information through.

Brent
Shalimar
I'm not sure that concealment hides people from Astral Perception. If it does though, the spirit might also want to conceal the car as well so that the car and those in it can get away once Etoile is in, since it can conceal 3 things at a time and changing what it conceals costs a service.

bmcoomes
it does, it's any perception test. That would mean DD would of had the for Matrix perception tests too. True more bang for the buck.

Brent
Shalimar
QUOTE (bmcoomes @ Oct 2 2008, 12:02 AM) *
it does, it's any perception test. That would mean DD would of had the for Matrix perception tests too. True more bang for the buck.

Brent

I wouldn't think that Mana and Technology would mix like that. I guess I was just viewing Concealment as an All Senses Invisibility spell, and people would be viewable as normal in the astral, it makes more sense the way you described it though.
bmcoomes
"Concealment
Type: P • Action: Simple • Range: LOS • Duration: Sustained
This power refers to a critter’s ability to mystically hide
itself or others, or alternatively to hide something that people
are looking for. Concealment subtracts a number of dice equal
to the critter’s Magic from any Perception Tests to locate the
concealed subject
. Concealment can be used on a number of
targets simultaneously equal to the critter’s Magic; concealed
subjects can see each other if the critter allows it."

To me any means all perception tests that's from my Navy days and the hell bent manuals we had to work out of.
bmcoomes
Ok that's it for now, I'm off to bed and I head out for hunting in the morning I won't be back until the 10th. See ya
Fuchs
Good Hunting!
DWC
Indeed. Enjoy the trip.
Tarantula
Not to try to kill etoile or anything... but concealment is a physical power, so it doesn't affect anything on the astral plane... such as astral perception (which happens to have assensing tests, not perception tests).
crizh
I wouldn't worry about it, it's not gonna survive another burst of fire from that drone.
DWC
Doubt it'll come to that. Noowan will probably put it down.

Kind of funny to remember back to older editions of SR when shooting at a spirit was nothing more than a hideous waste of ammo.
Fuchs
DD's still going for the sprinkler hack - if she found a node.
Fuchs
QUOTE (DWC @ Oct 2 2008, 05:54 PM) *
Doubt it'll come to that. Noowan will probably put it down.

Kind of funny to remember back to older editions of SR when shooting at a spirit was nothing more than a hideous waste of ammo.

Not with a panther assault cannon.
crizh
To be fair a Wide Full-Auto burst from a fully compensated LMG qualifies as 'Grade-A bang-bang.' We would have had a hell of a job doing it any damage at all with an SMG or an Assault Rifle.
Oenone
Which is why Etoile wants herself some heavy weapons skill badly. Plus an assault rifle with underslung grenade launcher to give her a sane chance of harming a spirit if she throws edge at it.

Doubt it'll be able to kill her now anyway. It's going to struggle to get enough hits to challenge a 17 DP dodge pool.

@Brent - Actually I'm fairly sure Concealment doesn't work in the matrix as they're not looking for the person, they're searching for your matrix persona which can't be the target of a spell and thus can't gain the benefit.

At least from my understanding of the rules that is, if I'm wrong it makes a Pixie adept hacker one of the most awesome things ever to use a commlink. Although I guess if you were in an UV node it might well work the way you're saying which would be exceptionally weird....
Tarantula
The matrix is not in the physical world, so again, concealment doesn't apply.
Oenone
@Jakes post about the water spirit. rotfl.gif
Coldhand Jake
QUOTE (Oenone @ Oct 2 2008, 01:34 PM) *
@Jakes post about the water spirit. rotfl.gif

Thought that'd get some laughs.
Shalimar
QUOTE (Coldhand Jake @ Oct 2 2008, 02:59 PM) *
Thought that'd get some laughs.

Randy old pervert nyahnyah.gif
Coldhand Jake
30's not that old... frown.gif
Oenone
QUOTE (Coldhand Jake @ Oct 2 2008, 08:17 PM) *
30's not that old... frown.gif

It is for an ork, if I'm not mistaken about the difference metahuman lifespans.

(Edit - And even more so for a Shadow Runner. They tend to die young after all.)
Coldhand Jake
Well, it helps that I got smart and got out of the business for a decade after a hellhound got my left hand on my first run. Went bartender/fixer until just recently, and now I'm back in the pool.
DWC
Jake's forearm was bitten off. Truth got his shot off. Riptide lost his somehow. If I were DD, I'd invest in some pretty hefty armored sleeves.
Oenone
QUOTE (DWC @ Oct 2 2008, 09:39 PM) *
Jake's forearm was bitten off. Truth got his shot off. Riptide lost his somehow. If I were DD, I'd invest in some pretty hefty armored sleeves.

And maybe shock frills on them too.
Coldhand Jake
Nope, didn't -lose- the forearm, just the hand. My original replacement left hand was a Strength 8 surplus designed for a troll. Fit terribly, mismatched, looked all wrong. I kept ruining countertops with it. When I made enough money on my first run back on the job, I replaced it, and willingly had the forearm taken off. Now my new arm's custom-fitted and fine-tuned to match my meat hand. Got a storage compartment in the palm, datajack on the wrist, and a warmer. Mei thought it was funny having an ice-cold hand sometimes...but the bit got old fast. She's the one who nicknamed me "Coldhand"...'cause I'd grope her, or do worse, with it after holding it in the freezer.
Fuchs
Longest 3 seconds ever until Brent is back. smile.gif
Little Johnson
yah i agree.

I hope he kills something while hes off hunting so he doesnt have to when he gets back wink.gif
Shalimar
Seconded, though its making me rethink the intelligence of rushing off to help take on an elemental that could be dead before I get there.
DWC
I'll freely admit it. Truth completely overreacted.

The spirit is dead in the water already since it spent its’ second pass action dodging. Poor bastard gets to spend the rest of the turn sitting there getting pummeled.
Fuchs
Does a simrig pass on thoughts? I thought not, since that would make interrogation very easy - hook the subject up to a simrig, and make him think.
Oenone
QUOTE (DWC @ Oct 7 2008, 05:26 PM) *
I'll freely admit it. Truth completely overreacted.

Etoile doesn't see it that way, but then she was pretty much down to 'harsh language' as her next tactical option.

QUOTE (Fuchs @ Oct 7 2008, 05:31 PM) *
Does a simrig pass on thoughts? I thought not, since that would make interrogation very easy - hook the subject up to a simrig, and make him think.

Don't think simrigs pass on thoughts, maybe general moods and sensations by monitoring activity in various parts of the brain perhaps?
Tarantula
I agree. Not thoughts, but moods/emotions. I.E. happy, sad, frustrated, angry, resolved.
Coldhand Jake
Actually, in the novels, it's clear that a raw simrig feed can indeed pass on thought processes. Comes up in Dead Air. Also, a read on the techfluff, over in Unwired I believe, also gave me the concept. However, and I'll go ahead and put this out there...I misread the color and thought it was a quote. And tried to cover my ass without deleting it. We can argue what a full simfeed does and does not transmit, but I'm not too hung up on it, mostly me covering up a fuckup.
Oenone
The novels are all a bit before my time, I'll re-read Unwired to see if anything about it leaps out at me though.
DWC
Everything I see in the mechanics parts of Unwired concurs that you get emotives, but not coherent thoughts through a simrig.

That, and Reality Amplifiers are rediculous. The potential for comedy (and abuse) in using a Focus amplifier to filter out the distractions that stop neocortical and limbic neural boosting nanites from working is kind of silly.
Coldhand Jake
Got an edit in there, to keep the sense going. Oh, no doubt. You know how cheap it is to program your sim module to ramp up your own touch sense and pleasure center? Like digital ecstacy.
Fuchs
For those who actually access the simrig's feed, and not just the tacnet's output, DD's emotions during the hacking ran from tension and adrenaline to triumph each time she went past a barrier, triumph turning into surprise and a lot of fear when she downloaded the paydata and then the IC attacked, followed by elation and joy upon successfully evading and logging. She's currently still on a sort of "excited high" from completing the hack while following the battle with the spirit. Anyone askenning her would also see those emotions.
Edit: So, not that much a "cool professional".
DWC
Not exactly an unhealthy or unexpected series of responses.
Fuchs
Of course not. But other shadowrunners might have different responses. (And I am hoping I don't forget to post such info when the tacnet's running and DD's not having the expected response.)
DWC
All the more reason not to broadcast the emotive track. smile.gif
Fuchs
You're talking about a character whose dream is to become a star in L.A., where runners are Trid/Simsense stars nyahnyah.gif
DWC
Not saying that she can't broadcast it to her fans. Just that it doesn't really help to send it to her accomplices.
Shalimar
Welcome back Brent.
Zaranthan
Woo! It's the tenth! PARTY HEARTY! How was the hunting?
Little Johnson
woot WB
bmcoomes
Yup, I'm back. Hunting was good. My father-in-law got a 4x4 deer. We saw some big Elk 6x6 but we can only take spike elk which we could not find. So yeah the deer my god, the dame thing ran down hill then when it died it fell into a hell hole. It took two hours just to pull it out of the hole. Then we had a 4 mile drag out to the rig. It was shot at noon and we got it in the rig at 1830.

Any who, I'm back now I have to catch up on things here at the house so I'll get this rolling Sat and Sun at work.

Brent
DWC
Welcome back. Glad things went well.
Fuchs
Welcome back.
Oenone
Welcome back!

And huzzah, now we find out if we'll escape from the aftermath of our dastardly deeds.
DWC
QUOTE (Oenone @ Oct 10 2008, 02:50 PM) *
Welcome back!

And huzzah, now we find out if we'll escape from the aftermath of our dastardly deeds.

What's the worst that could happen? It's not like we're headed back to a dock less than 200 meters from the third largest permanent UCAS military presence on the west coast.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012