Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Down in the Gutter: OOC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39
Abbandon
Fool and Child are not looking for transportation we are off looking for a building to use for a chop shop and aquire the tools in order to run it.

I didnt like Legion splitting everyone back up again after we just got together on the night where all our gangs were trashed. Wouldnt it be easier to evict people or even look for a new base if we were all together?? That telling everybody to go do whatever it is they do thing was just like on TV when some noob gets appointed as a leader and doesnt know what to do so he just tells all his underlings to make the decisions lol.

I'm also desperately trying to distance myself from Lindt(no offense lindt), he doesnt seem as active as me and it really sucks being off alone while there are like 4-5 guys all hanging out and advancing.

But whatever. I've got my smiley face on and will continue to help Child set up shop. Just wait until the first gang party!! Child will never see Fool again except after images of him slipping around a corner or ducking back out a door lol.
WinterRat1
Sorry all, I just got married (as in, yesterday) and am about to sneak off on the honeymoon for a week.

Upon my return catching up on DSF stuff will happen ASAP. My apologies again for the delay this month (that getting married thing sure takes a lot of time!) and thanks to everyone for your patience!
Meriss
Yay Winter got married! Take that geek streotype.

@Winter: Boo yah! Congrats man.

@Grendel: Umm hello? You around boss man?

@Abbandon: My bad. Newscasters get it wrong sometimes. biggrin.gif

@Vegas: Good to have you back. Shall I resume sending NPCs?
adamu
@Winter

Hearty congratulations!
Abbandon
@winter come back tired!!
Lindt
's all good Addandon. My school has decided that I dont need to have time to sleep, or have a life what so ever. Add to that the never ending search for a job that will pay me the 7 years experience I'm worth...
Ill try and get something up, but Im kinda at a loss as of what exactly to do right now. Actually that would make a great post.

WR, Congrats!!!
grendel
I decided to split everyone up because I've found that play-by-post games move quicker when the action is dependent on fewer participants. By assigning separate tasks it lets people move at their own pace, or, at worse, be dependent on only one other individual. As for myself, I'm here and always ready to post.
Meriss
@Grendel: Rock! Alright you've got a choice of Latin music or Latin music. biggrin.gif What? Don't look at me like that. Also I never got around to actually doing my demo book so any image you want is in there pretty much.
Vegas
OK people... are we dead in the water...? Or does everything that's happening hinge on WR1's input?
Unarmed
Well, I was waiting for clarification from WR1 on my stuff, but things have really slowed down recently, =(.
Abbandon
-halo, aziz and crew all make full recoveries
-Thumper,grack find safe house two feet from where we all split up
-Fool , child find chop shop right next to the new safe house.
-Doc gets his drugs
-Badmarsh and nevada make a stealthy escape
-etc, etc

game on!!
Vegas
Call me crazy Grendel, but I got the distinct impression that Badmarsh bit it and was down and out for the count and only Nevada and Bockscar were left ... besides some Raiders.
WinterRat1
Quick Update: I swear I'm trying to catch up, but in addition to all the post wedding stuff (I had no idea getting married and moving in with someone else would be so freaking complicated and time consuming!) I also have the October 15th deadline for extended tax returns hanging over my head, so things have remained extremely hectic in all areas of RL.

I'm glad people are progressing without me, and I'll do my best to have something up by the end of this weekend providing at least enough guidance for things to keep moving even without me being 100% back up to speed.

rob
My internet access is terrible where I am currently located, and will probably continue to remain terrible for the next 2-3 weeks unless something changes or I learn how to work the system. Don't expect much on updates from me.

Cheers:
Rob
rob
My internet access is terrible where I am currently located, and will probably continue to remain terrible for the next 2-3 weeks unless something changes or I learn how to work the system. Don't expect much on updates from me.

Cheers:
Rob
rob

Cheers:
Rob
rob

Cheers:
Rob
adamu
Wow - I've heard of double-posts, but gee whiz!

Dude, hang in there. If you are anywhere like where I think you are, I am personally happy to wait for your posts.
rob
We still trackin' on this stuff? I'm going to be off comms for a minute or so (note: understatement. Probably a bit more), as I'm relocating again.

Cheers:
Rob
WinterRat1
All Right Everyone,

I’ll cut right to the point. After days of deliberating, the following message was what I was going to write:

Hey Everyone,

I apologize for the long delay in my return to DITG. As you all know, I’ve had a lot going on lately. In the time I’ve been away, I took the opportunity to reevaluate the status and direction of DITG.

Upon further reflection, I have come to the sad conclusion that for the time being, I will be shutting DITG down. While the tremendous foundation of the game gives us an excellent jumping off point if we ever wish to resume DITG in the future, for now I do not believe it is feasible to continue.

I believe you all have a right to know how I came to this conclusion. My reasoning is as follows:

1. From a personnel standpoint, DITG has drifted so far from its original requirements as to be unrecognizable, and more importantly, unsustainable. Specifically, I cannot GM this by myself (this was stated from the very beginning) and our player base is too small. To take some of you up on your generous offers to GM would dilute our PC-gang to the size of a large shadowrunning team, which would also be contrary to my original goal. Even if we get a few GMs from some unexpected sources, we only have about 8-10 currently active PCs, about half the size the game was originally planned for. In the end, a team of 2-4 dedicated GMs and about 15-20 PCs is not a realistic goal at this point in time.

2. DITG’s original purpose was a grand experiment designed to push to envelope of forum games; specifically with regards to a PC-dominated gang campaign. It was designed to answer the question ‘Is it possible to run a gang campaign on the forums in which the gang consists almost entirely of PCs?’ As in any experiment, there were successes and failures, but the question was answered, at least to my satisfaction.

3. DITG never really got off the ground as far as even beginning the ‘Organic Creation of PC Gang’ process, and it is unlikely to do so going forward. The fact that we couldn’t make it past the prologue without our entire GM staff and half our players dropping is not a good sign for making it past the beginning stages of the organic creation process.

4. I cannot dedicate precious free time to a game I feel is unsustainable, especially when my original purpose was already achieved, and the current circumstances make the game unlikely to become a going concern in the near future.

I want to thank all everyone for all their contributions to the game. None of this would have been possible without all of your hard work and sacrifice that enabled us to build what was perhaps the greatest foundation to an online gang campaign ever. It was an absolute pleasure working and playing with all of you. I’m extremely sad to have to let DITG go, but I believe sometimes it’s better for a game to end early with dignity rather than drag it down to a slow and painful death.

Perhaps in the future things will change, and it will possible to jump start DITG at some point down the road. Certainly if the opportunity ever arises we already have the foundation in place. It would just be a matter of throwing up an invite to all the old players, running a brief recruitment drive for new ones and off we go.

Until that time, thanks again to everyone for playing and contributing. I had a blast putting this together and giving it a whirl. Every time I visit the wiki and see what we created, I am in awe of how real the world of DITG seems to me. It never would have happened without everyone who was a part of this project, and I hope to play with you all again sometime, either in DITG or elsewhere. 

All the best,
WinterRat1

P.S. Since we may one day reopen DITG, I request that for now, all updates to the wiki cease. This way if we ever decide to pick it back up again, it’ll be there waiting for us in its original form. Thanks!

However, I went back and looked at the wiki and reread Shade’s Journal, and I was simply awestruck by how much work we all put into this game. And I absolutely loved all the characters we developed (PC and NPC alike), and how real they seemed to me. To simply shut the game down became the mental equivalent of callously killing a whole world of people I knew and loved (even if the people in question were a motley crew of killers, thieves, addicts, psychos, and whores).

In the final accounting of things, I didn’t want that to happen. Not without giving this one last shot to make it work. In the end, I guess I just felt DITG still had the potential to be too damn good of a game to let it die without a fight. Maybe I’m crazy, or maybe it’s the GM in me that refuses to let a game fold until I’m 100% convinced that’s the way it has to be. I was almost there with DITG, but not quite.

So here’s what’s up. By my count, these are the people I still consider active in the game:

Grendel – Legion
Adamu – Grack
Pragma – Thumper
Unarmed – Doc
Meriss – Ink
Lindt – Child
Abbandon – Fool
Rob – Bockscar
Vegas – Nevada
Voorhees – Aziz

That’s it. So I’ve got 10. Of you 10, I want to know who’s still interested in trying to push forward with this. If we have a near overwhelming majority, that is, 7 or 8 who want to continue and will actively keep pushing things forward, then we’ll try to persevere.

I will warn everyone up front, we’re on life support. Eventually I need at least 1 other person to GM with me, and I would like to get us back up to about 15-20 PCs. If after a ‘probationary period’ it seems we’re still a viable game, we’ll toss up another Recruitment Thread to try and fill some GM spots and additional PCs.

To me, life support means even if people want to continue, the game has to demonstrate it’s plausible to continue. We have numerous resources, tools, and procedures in place for the players to keep the game moving without the GM having to drag it along. If people choose not to take advantage of that and the game repeatedly stalls, to the point where it’s becoming a drag on all of us instead of something fun we actively continue to move forward, I will pull the plug. In essence, I’ll let the game speak for itself. If it refuses to die I won’t deliberately kill it, but if it needs a mercy killing I won’t hesitate to put it out of its misery.

In keeping with the spirit of DITG, I’ll give everyone until October 31 to reply (with the exception of Rob and Grendel, since I know their communications are bad now). If we don’t get enough people interested in continuing, I’ll close it down for good. I guess there’s a certain appropriate symbolism if DITG shut down on All Hallows Armageddon.

If we get enough yes votes, on November 2nd I’ll write a giant post to wrap up whatever your characters are up to at the moment and pull all of you together, thus ending the prologue section. If it seems like the game is progressing at a pace and manner that seems sustainable, I’ll toss up a Recruitment Thread shortly after and try to get everything back on track at full tilt.

Although the idea of trying to run DITG alone seems extremely daunting given everything else going on in my life right now, I came to the conclusion that even though DITG may be a significant drain on my time, I do want this game to work. Despite my misgivings stated in my originally planned post above, I wanted to give the gang one last shot to survive.

So speak up with your vote and .02 nuyen.gif, and we’ll see what fate awaits DITG.

WinterRat1
rob
Still playing. Intermittent communications, but I'm more or less near the place that I'll be working out of for a while, so should be able to keep in touch.
Vegas
Heh and the one we assume won't be able to post/read in the immediate future is the one who posts first. Yay irony!

(ps. Hi Rob!)

Oh yeah, I'm still in and up for the game.
Fresno Bob
I'm still down.
Meriss
I've been onboard since we started this motley crew. I'm still plugging away at wiki NPCs. Welcome home Winter smile.gif
Abbandon
Im here. I totally disgaree that a game can progress without a very active GM though.
WinterRat1
I totally disgaree that a game can progress without a very active GM though.

Just for the record, I'm agree with you. A game cannot progress without a very active GM. I would like to take it a step farther and say there's two sides to that coin. Namely that a game cannot progress without active players either.

My point was that DITG has been set up to give players numerous ways to take the initiative with respects to IC posting, so I should not have to drag anyone kicking and screaming to post. Nor will I try.

I'm not saying that's been the case here, but if you've ever tried to have a game get back on track, oftentimes people (GM and Player alike) say they want to keep going but don't back it up with posts. My point was that if people want to keep going, I'll hold up my end, but if that sentiment isn't backed up by posting, I won't waste my time trying to drag the game along by myself.

In the end, we're in agreement, but I thought it'd be useful to clarify that if we continue, I do plan on being active in my GMing.
grendel
I'm still in. I'll try and be a little more active in directing people and giving tasks that they can role-play to completion in the future in order to assist the GM staff.
adamu
Been here. Still here.
Right now, Grack's last post is pretty darned near the end of the thread, but I log on six days a week ready to respond promptly to any "cue" post from either a PC or the GM.
Will let everyone know if that changes.
pragma
Also still in, I think Grack and Thumper were waiting to see if they found a suitable building.
WinterRat1
Bump for Unarmed and Lindt, the only two who haven't checked in yet. So far we have 8 out of 10, if they both are in everyone who was in will still be in, which is always a positive sign.

If anyone communicates with either of those two on a regular basis, perhaps you could drop them a line and let them know where we're at?
WinterRat1
Vegas just told me Lindt is in and will try to track down Unarmed.
Lindt
Yes, Vegas got ahold of me via IM. IRL this semester just wants me to be its bitch. Ill try my damdest (to the point Im actually turning on tracking for the IC thread) to get in this.
WinterRat1
All right we have 9 out of 10, possibly 10 out of 10 if anyone gets a hold of Unarmed. I suppose that's about as overwhelming of a majority as anyone could expect. So with the voting basically in, the game will go on...smile.gif

I'm working on the IC post right now, but I have one minor question to ask: WHERE THE FRAG IS 136 LANE NE??? (Sorry for 'yelling', my frustration has boiled over after an hour of scanning Kingsgate up and down for this street)

I have been through every street in the SW area of Kingsgate at max zoom and I cannot find that street! Did you guys mean NE 130th Lane? That would fit the description of you all being close to the Evergreen Hospital Medical Center. Otherwise, I cannot determine where you guys are at, because there is no street with that name in the former 8-Ballz turf. I'm going to write the IC post as if that were the case, because I'm not going to spend any more time looking for that street. If anyone can tell me where 136 Lane NE is, please do so and I will correct accordingly.

IC catch up post may or may not consist of multiple posts, so no one post IC until I give the all clear OOC. Welcome back to the game everyone! smile.gif
Vegas
According to Google Maps there is no 136th Lane NE. Only Streets and Places. You're not going insane WR, methinks there was a typo somewhere. smile.gif

EDIT: Digging around s'more I found NE 136th LN.

WR: It's actually UNDER the #2 on the B6 Map piece which is why you've been tearing your hair out looking for it. It was HIDING biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

It's the small horizontal street that feeds into the Evergreen Med. Center off 124th Ave (Main Drag)

My bad for assuming it was a typo. biggrin.gif embarrassed.gif
WinterRat1
No, I looked there on the main google map and that's NE 130th LN. The 2 over it on B6 makes it look like it's NE 136th LN, but if you look at the 'Official Redmond Area Map' (that is the actual google map, not our grid map) you will see it's 130th, not 136th.

Thanks for trying Vegas. Anyone else find it yet?
Meriss
@Vegas: Shall I resume deluging you with wiki NPCs?

@Anyone who created said NPCs: Can I get a PM capsule descrip of your NPC?
WinterRat1
Catchup posts are beginning and should be put up over the next several days.

Allow me to repeat that my primary purpose is to jump start the thread by advancing everyone through the prologue. I will do this by bringing you all back in sync timeline wise, as well as placing you in the same physical location.

Note that any actions I take in the process of controlling your characters are based on my assessment of them so far for the purposes described above. If you strongly disagree with anything I do with your characters in the catchup posts let me know and we will try to edit appropriately.
Vegas
@ WR - I stand corrected... again biggrin.gif I thought it odd when I searched google maps for 136th Ln and came up with nothing... that'll teach me, but I think that's where the confusion came from, it LOOKS like 136th with the "2" over it. *shrugs*

@Meriss - You can if you want... I still have a butt-ton of ganger NPC's to put up... that kinda fell by the wayside as this game went on its hiatus. I may or may not get to them in a timely manner, but I'm not gonna stop you.
WinterRat1
Rob and Vegas – My intent was to play up Bockscar’s tough-guy, take charge, get it done personality. I just followed the general theme I felt you’d already laid out in your IC posts. I gave Nevada a sense of distance from the scenario. I felt that given her recent sexual encounter with Badmarsh, giving her a rather unemotional response would do well in playing up her survivor mentality, and demonstrate a sense of cold detachment between the act of her having sex with someone and actually caring about that person. For her to be apparently unmoved by the death of someone she recently had a ‘connection’ and sexual encounter with played up her jaded and cynical view of sexuality. At least I thought so.

That’s just a brief explanation of what I was going for in my portrayal of your characters, if you have any comments or suggested edits to better ‘flavor’ the post, let me know and I’ll edit per your instructions, otherwise that’s just an fyi.

Everyone – Again, no IC posts from anyone yet, these are still catch up posts. I’ll give you all the word when you’re clear to post.
Vegas
WR- Can't speak for Rob, but you nailed Nevada, (no pun intended). Detached, survival-oriented, and the rest.

Way to go!

How many more "catch up" posts? I'm salivating to get this REALLY going now!
Meriss
@Vegas: S'okay, I have a fair bit of work to do before most of them are done. I'll PM you as I finish stuff.
WinterRat1
Adamu and Pragma - Grack and Thumper are up. That was easily one of the hardest posts I've ever written in my life. Trying to use all that Or'zet was driving me nuts! I had to look back at SOTA:2064 every other minute. My other big problem was I have no idea what Adamu's internal methodology is for how he plays Grack, so I took my best stab at it from what I've seen so far. If you have any suggestions or edits, let me know.

Adamu, I hope his astral vision was sufficiently vague and open-ended that you don't feel I'm railroading you one way or the other. My purpose was to have Gator show him some stuff, some possibilities, things that may or may not happen and reasons they may or may not and some outcomes that may or may not be a part of Grack's destiny.

Basically, I was trying to have Gator instruct him a little bit on who to be (i.e. how to be a Gator Shaman) and not what to do. In essence, giving him some things to chew on (pun intended). And yes, I'll be here all week. biggrin.gif If you feel I was pushing you too much in a particular direction, talk to me and we'll try to edit to make it more ambiguous and open ended.

Pragma, I kept the script for Thumper simple and direct. Simple guy, loyal friend, to the point and doesn't over think himself. Sometimes it's better to just go with the flow, and I thought the way Grack was acting, this would be one of those times for Thumper. Let me know if you disagree.

To answer Vegas's question, there's still Aziz/Shade/Doc, and Fool/Child. After that, I'll be in position to write the post that pulls everyone together.
adamu
Grack and Thumper are up.

Does that mean our IC post is up, or that we are up to bat (cleared to post)? I sure would like to make a virtually-no-time-passes post of Grack getting his head together after that vision...

Great post! Had to read it three times before I got an inkling of what I THINK it means - what I mean by that is - COOL. Not only interesting, but give me/Grack the stimuli I need to rationalize actions that keep him playable in the game and yet stay true to his character.
WinterRat1
Whoops, unclear there. What I meant was that your catchup post is up, not that you are free to post. If you want to make a virtually-no-time-passes post of Grack getting his head together after that vision, by all means go ahead.

That applies to everyone I put a catchup post for, btw. If you want to write a post that essentially is your character’s inner monologue and does nothing to move the game but gives us more insight into your character’s head, that’s awesome and totally fine. As long as you don’t do anything to materially affect the game (i.e. the focus of the post should be on your character and their thoughts/feelings) go for it.

I’m glad it was sufficiently vague and ambiguous that it took you several readings to think you understand what it means. Judging by what you wrote, what you got out of the post was exactly what I intended you to get out of that post. Outstanding. Mission Accomplished. Whew! No more Or’zet for a while! smile.gif
WinterRat1
Fool and Child's catchup has been posted. I admit I kinda beat Fool's trideo/sim schtick into the ground, but hey, it shows that part of him has definitely left an impression! It's like his defining character trait. I kept Child as a safe, conservative, take no chances and stay out of trouble kinda guy.

I had less experience with your characters because I didn't GM them for the prologue, so I stuck with the main thing that stood out to me the most.

Only Aziz, Shade, and Doc to go, and then we'll be ready to open up posting again! smile.gif
Abbandon
Good job with fool. I still cant decide between these two personalities for Fool. One is the talkative annoying guy like you showed. The other is a cold blooded guy who is more dangerous and dark.

I sold Fool as the first one but its hard on me personally to be the butt of jokes and to not be taken seriously. Its going to be a very difficult character to play but im glad we are starting up again! Hopefully as time passes it will all just fall into place.
Fresno Bob
Gah, why must you do me last!? I'm shivering with... anticipation.
Mister Juan
@WR1
Can't resist.
Mister Juan
Taken from Abbandon's IC post:
<<placeholder for massive porno flashback>>

That is probably one of the funniest things I've ever seen wink.gif
Abbandon
lol. I was going to ask WR how far I could post after the IC he put up for Fool and Child. But then i just figured he wouldnt want to bothered with that crap so i just fit what i wanted to say in "during" our bike ride through the 8 baller turf.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012